PDA

View Full Version : Hachimura Participating in Elite Nike Basketball Academy

Zagdawg
08-09-2018, 02:56 PM
Zags’ junior among 25 college players at event in Los Angeles

https://gozags.com/news/2018/8/9/mens-basketball-hachimura-participating-in-elite-nike-basketball-academy.aspx

Reborn
08-09-2018, 03:29 PM
This is just awesome. I know he's going to learn a lot there from some of the best teachers of the game (NBA Players).

TexasZagFan
08-09-2018, 03:49 PM
This is just awesome. I know he's going to learn a lot there from some of the best teachers of the game (NBA Players).

I suspect Rui's going to burst from the camp as a preseason All American. His game continues to ramp up when put against tougher competition. He sleep walked through the WCC and still made ESPN's Top Ten just about every other game.

Who's his competition for POY in the WCC? I'm betting a healthy Josh and Killian. I'm really getting pumped up for this season.

Zagdawg
08-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Yoeli Childs at BYU will be another one in the running for POY in the WCC.

TexasZagFan
08-09-2018, 04:09 PM
Yoeli Childs at BYU will be another one in the running for POY in the WCC.

He will likely put up numbers better than everyone else, he'll get a lot more scoring opportunities at BYU. Zags will spread it around, just as they have the past few years. Wouldn't surprise me to see 7 Zags averaging double digits per game.

MDABE80
08-09-2018, 04:44 PM
He will likely put up numbers better than everyone else, he'll get a lot more scoring opportunities at BYU. Zags will spread it around, just as they have the past few years. Wouldn't surprise me to see 7 Zags averaging double digits per game.

This! Predicted!!

Reborn
08-10-2018, 07:14 AM

I am thinking that Rui is going to separate himself from the rest of the pack and average 20+ points a game.

Go Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
08-10-2018, 07:33 AM
I am thinking that Rui is going to separate himself from the rest of the pack and average 20+ points a game.

Go Zags!!!

If you're right, and Jacob contributes at the 5 (10 ppg & 8 rpg), we'll need to make plans for Minneapolis.

Rui averaging 20+ a game will make it easier for everyone else, as the defensive focus will turn to him. Killian will have a field year from beyond the arc.

It's really hard, but I must remember to tap the breaks on my enthusiasm and expectations...but it's REALLY hard.

MDABE80
08-10-2018, 09:37 AM
Playing into April ;)

Mr Vulture
08-10-2018, 09:44 AM
If you're right, and Jacob contributes at the 5 (10 ppg & 8 rpg), we'll need to make plans for Minneapolis.

Rui averaging 20+ a game will make it easier for everyone else, as the defensive focus will turn to him. Killian will have a field year from beyond the arc.

It's really hard, but I must remember to tap the breaks on my enthusiasm and expectations...but it's REALLY hard.

I don't think Jakob plays very much to be honest, mostly depending on the game and score. I certainly don't think he goes for 10 and 8 this year on an average. I do think he's going to be an important piece his Junior and Senior years though.

bigblahla
08-11-2018, 07:46 AM
Rui needs a nickname, here's my entry... Rui "幸せです手斧" Hachimura..... "the Happy Hatchet".... he's too good to not have a nickname...

Just my opinion....

Go!! Zags!!!

tummydoc
08-11-2018, 08:31 AM
I'm not a hop fan, but this will be my drink of choice come tipoff. Rui's definitely got "hops"!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180811/7a6d559141f72c24d73b23921273134a.jpg

hooter73
08-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Winning.

NotoriousZ
08-11-2018, 09:31 AM
Rui needs a nickname, here's my entry... Rui "幸せです手斧" Hachimura..... "the Happy Hatchet".... he's too good to not have a nickname...

Just my opinion....

Go!! Zags!!!

“Rui” works for me.

23dpg
08-11-2018, 11:21 AM

Child’s will most likely out score the Zags leader. Last year JWill led the Zags with under 14 a game. But if the Zags live up to their preseason hype, they will have the POY.
BTW, 7 players in double figures is almost impossible without an injury or two. So I will take the under.

MDABE80
08-11-2018, 01:41 PM
Most of
Last year we had 7
Kids in double figures . It's not hard with good shooters who share time.

23dpg
08-11-2018, 04:06 PM
Most of
Last year we had 7
Kids in double figures . It's not hard with good shooters who share time.

I think we had 6 for a while and ended with 5. 7 would be incredibly hard. If all seven averaged 12 points a game, that would be 84, exactly what the Zags averaged last year. That leaves no room for big leads and blowout wins. I would guess it's been a long time since any college team had 7 in double figures. (if ever)

But I do think we'll have balanced scoring again this year.

zzzjag
08-14-2018, 08:16 AM
Gonzaga's Rui Hachimura had trouble translating his success in drills to 5-on-5 action. Ted S. Warren/AP Photo

Rui Hachimura | Jr. | Gonzaga

6-foot-8½ | PF

Hachimura had an up-and-down weekend, looking every bit the part of a lottery pick in drills but having a difficult time translating his talent to the 5-on-5 scrimmages, indicating he's still a work in progress at this stage.

Hachimura's frame has filled out remarkably since arriving at Gonzaga, and he's become significantly more athletic, looking effortless getting off his feet for finishes over the course of the weekend. He shows you flashes of versatility on both ends of the floor, shooting the ball extremely well in drills, covering ground seamlessly defensively, recovering for blocks at the rim and making some impressive drives in the open court. He had a handful of possessions matching up against Durant where he very much looked the part, getting underneath him and using his 7-foot-1½ wingspan to try and force him into difficult shots, as there's no question that he has the potential to be a multipositional defender with his impressive combination of size, strength, length and athleticism.

With that said, Hachimura really struggled to put the ball in the basket over the course of the weekend, as the game still seems to move a little too fast for him at times. He tends to shy away from contact a lot more than you'd hope relative to his tools, missing quite a few layups and rarely getting to the free throw line. His court vision and overall feel for the game leave a lot to be desired still, as he mostly only sees the basket when he catches the ball, driving into brick walls or settling for tough pull-up 2s, rarely making the extra pass along the perimeter or finding the open man on the move. Hachimura's defense is more of a theoretical proposition at this stage, as he tends to get out-toughed by more physical players, letting opponents take rebounds out of his hands and gambling unnecessarily for steals.

It's important to remember that Hachimura hasn't been playing high-level basketball for very long at this stage, essentially redshirting his freshman season and only playing 21 MPG last year. He's likely on a different development curve than most players his age, and it seems that there will continue to be moments of inconsistency as a junior as he figures out how to maximize his talent and be a productive player on both ends of the floor

thespywhozaggedme
08-14-2018, 08:54 AM
Gonzaga's Rui Hachimura had trouble translating his success in drills to 5-on-5 action. Ted S. Warren/AP Photo

6-foot-8½ | PF

Hachimura had an up-and-down weekend, looking every bit the part of a lottery pick in drills but having a difficult time translating his talent to the 5-on-5 scrimmages, indicating he's still a work in progress at this stage.

Hachimura's frame has filled out remarkably since arriving at Gonzaga, and he's become significantly more athletic, looking effortless getting off his feet for finishes over the course of the weekend. He shows you flashes of versatility on both ends of the floor, shooting the ball extremely well in drills, covering ground seamlessly defensively, recovering for blocks at the rim and making some impressive drives in the open court. He had a handful of possessions matching up against Durant where he very much looked the part, getting underneath him and using his 7-foot-1½ wingspan to try and force him into difficult shots, as there's no question that he has the potential to be a multipositional defender with his impressive combination of size, strength, length and athleticism.

With that said, Hachimura really struggled to put the ball in the basket over the course of the weekend, as the game still seems to move a little too fast for him at times. He tends to shy away from contact a lot more than you'd hope relative to his tools, missing quite a few layups and rarely getting to the free throw line. His court vision and overall feel for the game leave a lot to be desired still, as he mostly only sees the basket when he catches the ball, driving into brick walls or settling for tough pull-up 2s, rarely making the extra pass along the perimeter or finding the open man on the move. Hachimura's defense is more of a theoretical proposition at this stage, as he tends to get out-toughed by more physical players, letting opponents take rebounds out of his hands and gambling unnecessarily for steals.

It's important to remember that Hachimura hasn't been playing high-level basketball for very long at this stage, essentially redshirting his freshman season and only playing 21 MPG last year. He's likely on a different development curve than most players his age, and it seems that there will continue to be moments of inconsistency as a junior as he figures out how to maximize his talent and be a productive player on both ends of the floor

Well that's disappointing :(

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-14-2018, 09:10 AM

Matter of mentality not talent imho. Rui was playing high school ball in Japan just two years ago. Here he was playing against NBA players and best D1 talent...a bit of nerves, awe perhaps? I’m not worried. Watch your Ohio State game film Rui and give yourself permission to dominate your opponents this year..no deference, respect needed!

DixieZag
08-14-2018, 09:46 AM

I don't know the origin of the article (BTW - zzzjag, thank you for finding the article, please limit use to 3 paragraphs and put a link to the article for internet Fair Use policy. it keeps us out of trouble and ensures the writer gets paid), but:

It seems written from a "Where he stands relative to playing in the NBA now" perspective. From that perspective, it doesn't sound that different than what the more knowledgeable people here tell us about the state of his game. He can dominate most college games, but is STILL raw (which is just so awesome), and can still develop so much more game. Plus, he's shown to be coachable, making more strides in a year than most make in 2-3.

I'm not disappointed.

webspinnre
08-14-2018, 10:01 AM
Hopefully he can use this as a valuable learning experience of where he can work to get to.

hockeyzag
08-14-2018, 10:30 AM
Hightlight video of Rui from the FIBA: https://youtu.be/AsgrQaXeETE

Bouldin4Prez
08-14-2018, 10:36 AM
To me, this just means he is going to play at a lot more at the 4 this year than people think. At this stage in his career, he doesn't have the offensive skill set necessary to play the 3.

sittingon50
08-14-2018, 11:10 AM
There's plenty of game tape from last season to refute "most" of this assessment.

Getting thrown into a 5 on 5 situation with people & sets you're unfamiliar with is a challenge & he may have been hearing terminology that he was not familiar with.

Check the Ohio St. tape from the post season. They had a few pretty good athlete's that he dominated.

Grain of salt.

Reborn
08-14-2018, 11:21 AM

I thought that the writer of this article about Rui gave us some great information and I would agree with him. This could mean that Rui will be back as a senior and I'd love that. Maybe I'm being selfish. I agree that the body is made for NBA action. He will eventually play in the NBA but it will take time. I agree that he needs to get tougher, and find more passion for the game. I believe that Rui would struggle, as he did in the camp in 5 on 5 action, because he is not used to that style of play that the players played in that camp. He IS used to playing at Gonzaga, and knows that system, and that has taken time. Remember that Rui did quite well in the drills. He HAS the talent, but struggles in free lance 5 on 5 style of play that is used in the camps. When Rui does go pro, I think it will take him a year or two to understand the style of the team that drafts him, as well as the style of play in the NBA. We must remember that he does not have a real good foundation of basketball as he grew up playing in Japan.

JPtheBeasta
08-14-2018, 11:37 AM
The Rui I read about is not the one I saw last year. He was way more physical in the post than most people who guarded him, and that was one of the more surprising things about his game last year. He made some good passes in the lane when the double team came and showed decent feel that belies the comment that he only sees he rim. Perhaps he is not a good freelancer and makes those types of passes as an expected counter to the defense, and he may require more structured offense to make this happen. He is a more willing passer than a lot of guys in the NBA.

He got to the free throw line a lot last year, which is another critique that doesn’t match what I saw.

He missed some shots against Florida St, so perhaps some of the guys he is going against in this camp are more on that level of length and athleticism— that should improve as he gets more exposure to it. But one on one against someone his height he should be an easy scorer. He still has time to learn angles and get his shot up over/around the redwoods.

He has the most work to do on defense, in my opinion, followed by increasing the arch on his shot.

Edit: Sorry, Reborn. I repeated some of what you said without realizing it.

maynard g krebs
08-14-2018, 11:53 AM
I think this was like his fr year at GU. Ingrained cultural mindset of deferring to his elders. As 50 said, grain of salt. I expect a great year from him.

Malastein
08-14-2018, 12:18 PM
Let’s hope this experience made him better and more aware of how much room he still has to grow! Going against NBA players is certainly different than what he’ll face next year. Doesn’t change what I think we’ll get out of him this upcoming season at all.

willandi
08-14-2018, 12:45 PM
Somewhat in response to Reborn's assessment and wish the Rui would come back for his senior year, and as a question to all the NBA experts on here:

Does or does not the NBA draft on potential?

If he has to improve and yet everyone sees him as a future NBA player, it should be the first, the potential.

Malastein
08-14-2018, 01:18 PM
I’ll be shocked if he came back for his senior season. This is most definitely a year where the Zags could win it all, and next year could be pretty tough depending on who leaves. It’ll be a tall task to replace both Geno and Perkins...

Reborn
08-14-2018, 03:36 PM
I’ll be shocked if he came back for his senior season. This is most definitely a year where the Zags could win it all, and next year could be pretty tough depending on who leaves. It’ll be a tall task to replace both Geno and Perkins...

It's been a long time since we've seen two freshmen start at Gonzaga: Pangos and Bell. A very good chance we'll see two freshmen start in '19-'20.

GoZags
08-14-2018, 04:31 PM

6-foot-8½ | PF

DOOMED