PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's BPI tabs Kansas, Gonzaga as best teams in nation

ZagNative
07-30-2018, 06:56 AM
Here's some fun summer reading: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24199936/kansas-jayhawks-gonzaga-bulldogs-lead-espn-college-basketball-bpi-2018

tinfoilzag
07-30-2018, 07:02 AM
Here's some fun summer reading: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24199936/kansas-jayhawks-gonzaga-bulldogs-lead-espn-college-basketball-bpi-2018

From the article "Mark Few's remarkably consistent team expects to be dominant again. Of the five biggest contributors to the Zags team that ranked 10th in BPI at the end of last season, only Johnathan Williams is not returning."

No mention of Melson? Maybe he can sneak back for another year and no one would notice.

meadgrad02
07-30-2018, 10:39 AM
Probably wasn't meant as a slight. Melson was the 6th leading scorer on the team, so in this writer's eye's he wasn't one of the 'five.'

007Zag
07-30-2018, 10:49 AM
From the article "Mark Few's remarkably consistent team expects to be dominant again. Of the five biggest contributors to the Zags team that ranked 10th in BPI at the end of last season, only Johnathan Williams is not returning."

No mention of Melson? Maybe he can sneak back for another year and no one would notice.

Key qualifier is "five biggest contributors". Presumably, Sabin and Walder are referring to scoring, where Melson came in 6th with 9.3 ppg. Rui, Perkins, Tillie, Norvell, and J3 all scored 11.6 ppg and up.

maynard g krebs
07-30-2018, 11:26 AM
BPI looks like kind of a joke in terms of the pac, w/ Oregon at 49, UW at 67, and UCLA and Zona nowhere in the top 100.

All 4 should finish higher by a good margin.

Zagdawg
07-30-2018, 11:49 AM
I think they load Pac BPI based on last years dance results.

;)

bartruff1
07-30-2018, 12:32 PM
BPI looks like kind of a joke in terms of the pac, w/ Oregon at 49, UW at 67, and UCLA and Zona nowhere in the top 100.

And BYU 32....and headed to the NIT as usual....

tyra
07-30-2018, 12:51 PM
A very senior employee of mine is a rabid Jayhawk fan/grad. That would NOT be a pretty NC game in our office. (Long knives out).

Zagger
07-30-2018, 12:55 PM
Dang, with GU in the story's title I expected they'd get a bit more ink. Getting pretty thirsty for more Zag news. Time to go camping :)

GonzaGAW
07-30-2018, 02:35 PM
-affirmation of what we already knew, strong, stout schedule, with some wins will help tourney grading matrix's
- 3 in top ten, if we play duke
- maui round 1 and 2, come in at 21 and 31
- 4 more opponents in 54-67 ranking, plus byu at 32.

- biggest puzzle to me was Illinois at 21, once the maui bracket came out I've been reading up on Illinois and they look to have a lot of holes, with lots of question marks trying to fill those holes. frankly I was expecting a walk over. I think even Illinois fans expect to be in bottom half on the big 10.

jpn17
07-30-2018, 09:40 PM

Pac has been pretty down in basketball for awhile. I see no issue with it. Kind of a "gotta prove it" attitude. I feel the same way about all the talk regarding which WCC team is up and coming every year which for the last couple decades hasn't amounted to sustained success for any of them (save SMC but at this point that's expected so no one really talks about them that way).

maynard g krebs
07-31-2018, 11:45 AM
Pac has been pretty down in basketball for awhile. I see no issue with it. Kind of a "gotta prove it" attitude. I feel the same way about all the talk regarding which WCC team is up and coming every year which for the last couple decades hasn't amounted to sustained success for any of them (save SMC but at this point that's expected so no one really talks about them that way).

If by "down in basketball for awhile" you mean one year, good point. In 2017 the Pac went 10-4 in the tourney with all 4 entries making the sweet 16 and the Ducks in the final 4. "Up and down" would be fair, and it's certainly near the bottom of the power conferences. But there's a reason everybody has the Ducks around 15, and the Huskies as borderline top 25. And I can't imagine UCLA and Zona outside the top 100, behind the likes of Wofford, Yale, and Old Dominion.