PDA

View Full Version : FIBA EURO U18; WATCH PETRUSEV AND AYAYI HERE

Pages : [1] 2

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 05:45 AM
Thought that we could consolidate the games into one thread. Serbia is already playing now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0QSrFvyYnc

France plays in a few hours.

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2018/games

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 05:47 AM
Like most of our recent bigs, Petrusev has great court vision

Jstock12
07-28-2018, 05:52 AM
Oops I guess I was posting in the wrong thread :D

Zagdawg
07-28-2018, 05:58 AM
Thanks for posting the links spy.

Zagdawg
07-28-2018, 06:02 AM
43:42 Lithuania up at the half

Petrusev with 8 points, 6 boards, 2 assists 1 block at the half

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 06:09 AM
Like most of our recent bigs, Petrusev has great court vision

Kinda reminds me of a young Kelly Olynyk a bit.

I like how he competes, involved in every play. Lost on defense at times but understands the game, esp offensively. Nice timing and feel of when to shoot, and how to take advantage of the defense.

Already hitting the high-low pass, has nice touch around the rim, shows a predictable but impressive up & under, we know he is a good, possibly great shooter.

Won't play much but could prove too valuable to red shirt this season. His shooting alone is a weapon at 5-6 mins per game for us. He floats toward the perimeter but not afraid to mix it up inside. Showing he can dribble drive a little as well.

This kid could sneak up and take Larsens minutes, he is versatile, that's for certain.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 06:13 AM
Kinda reminds me of a young Kelly Olynyk a bit.

I like how he competes, involved in every play. Lost on defense at times but understands the game, esp offensively. Nice timing and feel of when to shoot, and how to take advantage of the defense.

Already hitting the high-low pass, has nice touch around the rim, shows a predictable but impressive up & under, we know he is a good, possibly great shooter.

Won't play much but could prove too valuable to red shirt this season. His shooting alone is a weapon at 5-6 mins per game for us. He floats toward the perimeter but not afraid to mix it up inside.

This kid could sneak up and take Larsens minutes, he is versatile, that's for certain.

That's not a bad comparison. He's honestly played pretty well thus far. But I see him as a four and Larsen as a five and since Petrusev can hit the three they complement each other pretty well.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 06:13 AM
Thanks for posting the links spy.

My pleasure

Bogozags
07-28-2018, 06:26 AM
Are we also looking at #15 Marko Pecarski?

#12 with his Matt Bouldin hair seems to be a pretty good SG

caldwellzag
07-28-2018, 06:29 AM
Are we also looking at #15 Marko Pecarski?

We were, but I am pretty sure he signed a pro contract shortly after basketball without boarders. I might be mixing him up with another recruit, but I think it is Marko.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 06:30 AM
Serbia moves the ball so well. The black Serbian kid can shoot and slash to the hoop really well, wonder if anyones recruiting him.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 06:35 AM
Pterusev's got some advanced post moves for such a young guy, very ZC like

Zagdawg
07-28-2018, 06:41 AM
End of the 3rd Q --Serbia up 71-58 with Petrusev with 14 points, 9 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals and 2 blocks

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 06:41 AM
The trouble maker Paunavic isn't a bad player

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 06:57 AM
Epic collapse by Serbia. Petrusev went out for 5 minutes and Lithuania went on a 10-2 run.

Bogozags
07-28-2018, 07:01 AM
Serbia moves the ball so well. The black Serbian kid can shoot and slash to the hoop really well, wonder if anyones recruiting him.

I'm sorry, I don't see any black players on either team...

However, that #12 seems to be a pretty decent player, like his skill set - can shoot, defend and pass pretty well

Zagceo
07-28-2018, 07:06 AM
aggressive play rewarded and Serbia folded to pressure

Zagdawg
07-28-2018, 07:09 AM
92-87 Lithuania with the win

Petrusev top scorer for the game with 20 points, (8/10 from the field --but 4/8 from ft) 10 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals and 2 blocks

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 07:09 AM
Epic meltdown by Serbia, up by double digits with 8 minutes left and just started turning the ball over, missing ft's even Petrusev missed a bunny. On the bright side, Petrusev was clearly the best player on the court; great offense, gobbled up every rebound and always calm under pressure; finished with 20/10. Ayayi and France up next

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 07:10 AM
I'm sorry, I don't see any black players on either team...

However, that #12 seems to be a pretty decent player, like his skill set - can shoot, defend and pass pretty well

That's him, bi-racial dude with the afro. He was decent.

Zagdawg
07-28-2018, 07:13 AM
Box score
http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2018/game/2807/Lithuania-Serbia#tab=boxscore

JPtheBeasta
07-28-2018, 07:13 AM
I tuned in just in time to see Serbia cough up the lead. Petrusev seems to run the floor well and looks like a ball player. He’ll be able to switch screens like Few asks his 4’s and 5’s to do. He reminds me more of Collins than Olynyk right now because young Kelly looked clumsy and Clinic Olynyk was explosive and strong. He’s less bouncy than Collins but has similar fluidity to his movements. I wish I got to see more.

Thx for posting the link, Spy.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 07:18 AM
I tuned in just in time to see Serbia cough up the lead. Petrusev seems to run the floor well and looks like a ball player. He’ll be able to switch screens like Few asks his 4’s and 5’s to do. He reminds me more of Collins than Olynyk right now because young Kelly looked clumsy and Clinic Olynyk was explosive and strong. He’s less bouncy than Collins but has similar fluidity to his movements. I wish I got to see more.

Thx for posting the link, Spy.

You're welcome. I mentioned the ZC comp as well, but he doesn't have as high of a motor as Zach, but plays calmer than him. Petrusev played great today against his peers, but for the Zags he'll be the youngest player usually, will be interesting to see how he does vs older players.

Zagdawg
07-28-2018, 07:23 AM
One piece of info that was interesting-- it was a pretty aggressive game (refs look to be letting them play) --and Petrusev only had 1 foul --maybe it was an anomaly --but he seemed to be mixing it up in there and playing smart. He looked mature and solid on offense.

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 07:26 AM
Too good of passer, player, IQ in a 6'10" body to RS, esp a year we are 'all in'.

Zagceo
07-28-2018, 08:20 AM
Replay

https://youtu.be/q0QSrFvyYnc (https://youtu.be/q0QSrFvyYnc)

Bogozags
07-28-2018, 08:33 AM
Too good of passer, player, IQ in a 6'10" body to RS, esp a year we are 'all in'.

IMO.......With his current skill set and his skill set he currently has, I believe he will be a three year player...if he redshirts he will still be a three year player...he will be 20 by the end of his 3rd season

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 09:44 AM
France game starting now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8p7tWfp7DM

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 09:47 AM
Joel #11

ZagNative
07-28-2018, 09:48 AM
Live Stats (http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2018/game/2807/Russia-France#|tab=boxscore)

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 09:49 AM
Interesting, Joel not running the point, #0 is.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 10:10 AM
After the first quarter, Joel has 4 points on 2/3 shooting. he's played almost exclusively at the sf spot, but the one time he brought up the ball he threw it out of bounds. he sat for the last 3 minutes of the 1st period. He's very athletic, but still not sure what to make of him.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 10:11 AM
Still sitting out to start the 2nd period, wonder why.

Bogozags
07-28-2018, 10:11 AM
The French are getting killed on the glass by Russia and getting beat on 50-50 balls

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 10:16 AM
makes sense they like him at wing/combo guard. His ball handling still way too far in front of him when he dribbles -- probably to accommodate his natural speed.

flies down the court, shows good slashing ability, and has tremendous length/size.

I think we'll use him in a very similar fashion. Back up Norvell at the 2 guard, and fill in at the 3 in a pinch.

His defense, transition speed, slashing, and rebounding are intriguing.

Not good enough decision maker or ball handler to play the point for us, yet, so lets just say, THANK GOD for Geno this season.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 10:17 AM
The big French kid with the goofy haircut is pretty skilled, good passer too, needs to lose the baby fat and get more toned though

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 10:18 AM
makes sense they like him at wing/combo guard. His ball handling still way too far in front of him when he dribbles -- probably to accommodate his natural speed.

flies down the court, shows good slashing ability, and has tremendous length/size.

I think we'll use him in a very similar fashion. Back up Norvell at the 2 guard, and fill in at the 3 in a pinch.

His defense, transition speed, slashing, and rebounding are intriguing.

Not good enough decision maker or ball handler to play the point for us, yet, so lets just say, THANK GOD for Geno this season.

Yeah, I agree with your post. I thought he was gonna be the pg, but I don't see any pg skills in him at all.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 10:22 AM
He got a steal but missed the 3 at the 5:14 mark

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 10:24 AM
Good assist and then a nice crossover and jumper at the 3:57 mark

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 10:26 AM
Made the 1st ft and then missed the 2nd but got the rebound for the putback, really scoring a lot in the past 5 minutes; very active.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 10:27 AM
Scored again at 2:57, get's to the rim at will. He's on fire!

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 10:30 AM
HOLY COW!! France is letting him play iso ball because they know Russia can't defend him and at the 2 minute back he steps back and drains a 3 three feet behind the line with the defender in his face. He's going off!!

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 10:35 AM
It's halftime and shockingly Russia is leading 49-44 but Joel is far and away the best player on the court; breaking down his defenders and getting to the rim at will, hitting jumpers, creating havoc. He leads all scorers with 14 after only having 4 after the 1st period. The upside on this kid is limitless.

Bogozags
07-28-2018, 10:42 AM
The Russian team is pretty fundament adept...they execute on offence and make their shots off of pick&rools...France needs to watch GU game film to see how to defend that pick&roll as we do against SMC...as are all the teams, France is still young...

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 10:43 AM
It's halftime and shockingly Russia is leading 49-44 but Joel is far and away the best player on the court; breaking down his defenders and getting to the rim at will, hitting jumpers, creating havoc. He leads all scorers with 14 after only having 4 after the 1st period. The upside on this kid is limitless.

his slashing ability will help next year's team. Norvell only player able to break down his defender from the perimeter. Even Geno has a problem with this, so if Ayayi adds another element to get to the hoop, it will be a welcome addition.

I actually prefer his skill, length, athleticism, speed off the ball as well.

Zagceo
07-28-2018, 10:45 AM
Old interview from last year"in case some missed it

https://youtu.be/lFC1OA7sRQA

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 10:50 AM
His 3pt shot looks like a push shot, kinda how Bouldin shot, but Ayayi is either in the hoop or wayyy off. Swish or near air ball. Interesting.

Definitely playing him at the SF/Wing spot, which is also intriguing.

Russia just more aggressive on offense.

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 10:51 AM
every time i've watched Ayayi "try" to steal it, he has. Nose for the ball when opponent is dribbling.

He'll have the quickest hands on our team for sure...

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 11:00 AM
I do like #7 Timothe Crusol patient and controlled style of play. Only 17. Playing both guard spots, showing maturity and bball IQ (which France lacks). Has potential, but don't know anything about him.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 11:07 AM
For whatever reason Joel only played 3 minutes in the 3rd quarter and didn't score. Frances coaches don't seem to run any set offense.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 11:09 AM
Still not in to start the 4th

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 11:10 AM
For whatever reason Joel only played 3 minutes in the 3rd quarter and didn't score. Frances coaches don't seem to run any set offense.

you can sense they don't care much about this U18 team, just getting guys experience, scouting, playing time, etc.

kinda random substitutions, and not playing your most dynamic player and most disruptive defender in the 3rd Q.

Maybe saving him for the 4th?

Russia playing to win, and has a much better offensive flow and game plan.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 11:11 AM
#37 for Russia looks like ZC.

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 11:15 AM
Joel features better moves than I anticipated. Still not a fundamental ball handler, and his passes lack crispness.

He gets near or around the rim at will. And knows how to manuever once in the paint. If only a bit stronger, he could post up smaller guards.

I still don't see a lead guard -- but an active, versatile, elite defending combo guard. Will definitely see some PT, but tough to tell how he'll do with more structure as France doesn't have any...

He has missed some shots in 4th Q, but good moves.

Unbelievably fast. Catches everyone by surprise, even his own teammates.

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 11:18 AM
Ayayi does jump oddly, always off both feet. No matter if in the lane, transition, or defending the 3pt line. Its different.

He is making plays to get France back in the game.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 11:22 AM
if Russia wins this is a huge upset. But Frances coaches flat out suck.

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 11:22 AM
Ayayi looks tired now, lacking defensive intensity or any sort of defense at all.

Using up a lot of energy on offense and slashing.

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 11:24 AM
Ayayi is one of the only players on France who attempts offensive rebounds. I do like that.

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 11:28 AM
France started playing some defense, at least trying, and now Russia having tough time adjusting to the pressure.

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 11:30 AM
I notice the france coach yelling things in English often...Ayayi leading scorer for France with 18.

82-80, russia in the lead, with 20 seconds remaining.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 11:33 AM
They let Joel go iso with 10 seconds left and he throws the ball out of bounds to lose the game for France. ugh

scrooner
07-28-2018, 11:34 AM
I guess I tuned in at the wrong time. I saw him make one layup, 2 free throws, and then whatever that was at the end. Bummer.

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 11:34 AM
France gave Ayayi the ball and final shot with 10 seconds to go, to tie the game.

He dribbled into the lane then threw the ball outta bounds to end the game.

He did not wait for the screen, as his speed dribbled away from the pick, so his defender knew it was coming, poor decision by him.

Played a nice game overall though.

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 11:35 AM
I guess I tuned in at the wrong time. I saw him make one layup, 2 free throws, and then whatever that was at the end. Bummer.

Led France in points & rebounds. 18 & 6, plus 2 steals.

The end of game play was terrible for sure.

Zagceo
07-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Work in progress...length quickness good...control defense less good

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 11:38 AM
Work in progress...length quickness good...control defense less good

well put.

but man, he is FAST twitch. not overly explosive, lacks strength, but no one can keep up with him when he pushes the ball. lightning in a bottle.

reminds me of P-MAC but a few inches taller and longer, higher ceiling, relies much on instincts/attributes, unsure with ball placement, and still dribbles too damn HIGH.

same thing I noticed in his 16 yr old clips.

I highly doubt he'll ever play lead guard for Gonzaga until he vastly improves his ball handling and decision making. But I see him earning early PT as a chance of pace, spark plug, defender, open court, and off the ball slasher.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-28-2018, 11:50 AM
well put.

but man, he is FAST twitch. not overly explosive, lacks strength, but no one can keep up with him when he pushes the ball. lightning in a bottle.

reminds me of P-MAC but a few inches taller and longer, higher ceiling, relies much on instincts/attributes, unsure with ball placement, and still dribbles too damn HIGH.

I highly doubt he'll ever play lead guard for Gonzaga until he vastly improves his ball handling and decision making. But I see him earning early PT as a chance of pace, spark plug, defender, open court, and off the ball slasher.

I didn’t catch this game, but I am very much looking forward to watching this kid play in a Zag uniform. His speed intrigues me. We haven’t had a player who could just blow past defenders in a long time.

A couple of our past “speed” guards were limited as shooters. Defenders would sag off of them to mitigate that speed advantage and dare them to shoot from outside. Is he a good enough shooter to draw defenders to him out on the three-point line?

Mantua
07-28-2018, 11:54 AM
The French players looked like they didn’t know each other. Russia was tall.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 12:07 PM
well put.

Yeah, this is really noticeable. His style of play reminds me of Leandro Barbosa from back in the day

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 12:08 PM

Horrible coaching. This was a huge upset, but France ran no plays all game.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 12:10 PM
Wll after Day 1, both of our players led their respective teams in scoring and were the high scorer for their games, but both of them lost. Tomorrow Filip and Serbia plays Great Britain who surprised Montenegro today and Joel and France play Turkey.

JPtheBeasta
07-28-2018, 12:17 PM
It's probably quite a bit harder to have a tight handle on your dribble when you are 6'4" with a 6'8" wingspan. It seems more suited to catching on the perimeter and slashing to the basket than being primary ball handler. With his speed and length, he should be able to get his shoulders in front of most defenders if they make the mistake of closing out on him to hard or playing him too tight, and he has enough feel to dump the ball of when the help defender comes (most of the time, I suppose, considering the terrible play at the end of the game).

His arms seem to an advantage for him in making passes in the lane. He had a very nice one against Russia. Feeding the post should be easy for him, as well.

He is an intriguing player, but seems like more of a combo guard or small forward right now. I agree with another poster in being thankful for the addition of Geno Crandall from a backup PG perspective.

JPtheBeasta
07-28-2018, 12:19 PM
Yeah, this is really noticeable. His style of play reminds me of Leandro Barbosa from back in the day

Interestingly, my brother said the same thing. He watched a lot of the Brazilian Blur when living down in Phoenix. He was impossible to stay in front of if he caught the ball on the move.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 12:30 PM
Interestingly, my brother said the same thing. He watched a lot of the Brazilian Blur when living down in Phoenix. He was impossible to stay in front of if he caught the ball on the move.

really? wow that's cool. Maybe we should call him the French Flash!

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 01:03 PM
Maybe we should call him the French Flash!

gotta admit, that's actually pretty good.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 01:21 PM

Thanks

Mantua
07-28-2018, 01:44 PM

There should be a movie made about Barbosa. He grew up in a favela in São Paulo.

Zagdawg
07-28-2018, 01:47 PM
So judging by these first two games these guys are not swings and misses --that is good to know.

jazzdelmar
07-28-2018, 01:54 PM
Sounds like he’s got the typical Zag end of the half play down perfectly.

JPtheBeasta
07-28-2018, 01:56 PM

The French word for flash is... wait for it...FLASH. At least according to Google translate. French Flash, or simply Flash, is pretty good.

JPtheBeasta
07-28-2018, 01:59 PM
Sounds like he’s got the typical Zag end of the half play down perfectly.

Sadly, I had flashbacks when that play went down. He waited about two seconds too long to get into the play— no chance for a pass or offensive putback.

jazzdelmar
07-28-2018, 02:03 PM
Sadly, I had flashbacks when that play went down. He waited about two seconds too long to get into the play— no chance for a pass or offensive putback.

Plenty of Zag flashbacks from which to choose. The Butler one was the most egregious.

Zagdawg
07-28-2018, 02:07 PM
Maybe a bit before your fandom jazz--but Dickau was great at the end of half and games-- made some amazing shots.

Malastein
07-28-2018, 02:15 PM
If both guys can legit contribute to next year’s team then that gives us 9 solid contributors. That bodes very well for March. This would be the deepest team the Zags have had...

Zagceo
07-28-2018, 02:22 PM
"solid contributors" on a top 5 team is questionable IMO....more like spot play

Zagdawg
07-28-2018, 02:26 PM
Was not expecting much from either of them this year--so anything they bring is a "bonus" in my eyes.

jazzdelmar
07-28-2018, 02:27 PM
Maybe a bit before your fandom jazz--but Dickau was great at the end of half and games-- made some amazing shots.

Right in the middle of my fandom. Saint Joe, New Mexico, etc. Thanks for waking the echoes.

jazzdelmar
07-28-2018, 02:28 PM
Was not expecting much from either of them this year--so anything they bring is a "bonus" in my eyes.

Whoa, there’s only one Bonus.

Zagdawg
07-28-2018, 02:28 PM
Funny how the good memories fall to the wayside of some "fans".

jazzdelmar
07-28-2018, 02:29 PM
"solid contributors" on a top 5 team is questionable IMO....more like spot play

Yup. 6 is a perfect number. 7, tops.

Jstock12
07-28-2018, 03:35 PM
Whoa, there’s only one Bonus.

Petrusev's 20p/10r/3a/2s/2b statline is pretty impressive though. Domas averaged 16p/12r/3.6a in this U18 tournament the same year he made his debut for Gonzaga. I think Petrusev will have a long and successful collegiate career. :)

OntZags
07-28-2018, 04:20 PM

That is highly debateable. We all saw what happened when one guy went down and our 7 man rotation turned into 6 and we matched up against a fast-paced 10+ man rotation. A rather unceremonious ass whooping.

I understand tightening the rotation come crunch time but for most of the season, I absolutely believe we should be playing closer to 10 men regularly. You increase the wear and tear of guys by only going 6/7 deep the whole season and more importantly you don't give other guys experience so that they can step up if injuries arise.

I'll be disappointed with the staff if they only go 6/7 deep rotationally this season.

Malastein
07-28-2018, 04:34 PM
I completely agree with OntZag. The NC Runner Up team had a legit 8 man rotation, which is why they were able to go so deep. Who knows whether they could’ve won it if NWG and Tillie had been 100% for the final game. This team has 3-4 guys who could be stars in Norvell, Rui, Clarke, and Tillie. They need to make sure those guys get good rest. That rest the reason why even though the individual contribution might seem negligible, having extra guys that can hang is important. I’ll be surprised if we go deeper than 9 outside of rewarding hard work with spot minutes. It’d just be great if Ayayi and Petrusev can be consistent enough to earn quality minutes.

Bogozags
07-28-2018, 05:44 PM

Agree about the French and Russians. The Russians are well coached and have strong fundamentals. They are relentless on the offensive glass...

France's offence was horrible...it seemed as though they never completed their sets. France was a quicker team but played horribly as a team. I hope we are recruiting #7 as he would be an excellent combo guard...always played under control and has very nice shooting mechanics...very patient and took what the defence gave him...and he has a keen eye in passing the ball too...

Joel seems to me as if he still trying to get his body to follow his mind...he has quickness similar to Meech but so much more upside on offence...he is still a young player and I'd venture that is his first competitive meaningful game in quite sometime...he'll get better every game he plays.

Zagceo
07-28-2018, 06:06 PM

Post season
Perkins
Crandall
Norvell
Rui
Tillie
Clarke
Kispert

Conference
Larsen
Jones

Pre Season
Petrusev
Ayayi

DixieZag
07-28-2018, 06:18 PM
Some really nice analysis from RaiseTheZag, especially. Much appreciated.

In my ears, both of these young kids would have to be near Zach Collins right now to be part of any discussion about cracking the top 7, so having both of them as specialists (for lack of a better word) - as they seem ready to be, would seem ideal in an "all-in" year such as this.

Great run-down RTZ, thanks.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-28-2018, 07:10 PM
Wll after Day 1, both of our players led their respective teams in scoring and were the high scorer for their games, but both of them lost. Tomorrow Filip and Serbia plays Great Britain who surprised Montenegro today and Joel and France play Turkey.

Great experience for Ayayi and Petrusev. Neither likely to be major contributor for Zags this season but I agree w the poster who pointed out how essential depth was to Zags Final Four run. Talent on this squad is gonna make practices great competition that will benefit the team. Talent is there, all about chemistry and every man buying into a team first mentality. If that happens, WOWSER!!!

cggonzaga
07-28-2018, 09:49 PM
Post season
Perkins
Crandall
Norvell
Rui
Tillie
Clarke
Kispert

Conference
Larsen
Jones

Pre Season
Petrusev
Ayayi

Looks right to me.

Worthington
07-28-2018, 10:31 PM
Beyond impressed from what I saw of Petrusev today. He is a phenomenal passer, Karnowski level. He consistently hit three point shooters with pinpoint passes out of the post. I think he's undoubtedly a part of the rotation next year and I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the NBA after year 2. Feel for the game is off the charts.

thespywhozaggedme
07-29-2018, 05:10 AM
Beyond impressed from what I saw of Petrusev today. He is a phenomenal passer, Karnowski level. He consistently hit three point shooters with pinpoint passes out of the post. I think he's undoubtedly a part of the rotation next year and I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the NBA after year 2. Feel for the game is off the charts.

While I agree with that assessment I would keep in mind that he was playing with his peers, i.e. players the same age as him in a couple of months he will often times be the youngest player on the court so it will be interesting to see how he does against older and stronger players.

Jstock12
07-29-2018, 05:14 AM
France-Turkey starting now. Petrusev has already decimated Great Britain earlier today (22p/7r/4a/1s/2b in 24 minutes)

FRANCE - TURKEY stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3_2k7DR_0k

thespywhozaggedme
07-29-2018, 05:51 AM
Joel with 6 so far

thespywhozaggedme
07-29-2018, 05:56 AM
Joel got a steal and looked to have a clean break away but instead of dunking it hard went for the soft layup and got it blocked badly. He's so fast and shifty but I haven't seen him dunk in 2 games.

raise the zag
07-29-2018, 05:58 AM
Joel with 6 so far

His defensive intensity has really stepped up today -- showing another gear.

His speed is off the charts, I wonder how it will translate next season or how we will utilize it within our controlled offense.

raise the zag
07-29-2018, 06:04 AM
Joel got a steal and looked to have a clean break away but instead of dunking it hard went for the soft layup and got it blocked badly. He's so fast and shifty but I haven't seen him dunk in 2 games.

I mentioned yesterday his jumping is odd as he jumps off 2 feet, instead of 1 while moving. This is even on layups or in transition or defending.

Looks awkward and he loses momentum and less vertical explosion as a result. It catches you by surprise since it slows him down when he gets near the rim or closing out on a shooter.

I wonder if he can learn to jump in stride, or launch off 1 foot? Most verticals increase by up to 8 or 9" off 1 foot compared to standing 2 foot.

Joel has blue chip speed, Russell Westbrook or Barbosa or Parker in his prime, etc but lacks the athletic strength/explosion. Kind of the opposite of Norvell who lacks speed but is very athletic strong and explosive.

Zagceo
07-29-2018, 06:48 AM
Joel has been working on his dribble since at least Jan 2017 or before according to his own interview...progression has been slow

Mantua
07-29-2018, 06:52 AM
Did he just injure his ankle?

bballbeachbum
07-29-2018, 06:54 AM
Did he just injure his ankle?

that's what it looked like, like he rolled it a little

Turkey started to press, France started to turn it over. Joel with 2 TOs in couple of minutes leadign to layups before the injury. 20+ point lead down to 12

Mantua
07-29-2018, 07:04 AM
I haven’t seen him on the bench since the injury.

West Side Lady
07-29-2018, 07:10 AM
The most impressive thing about this game has been the number of turnovers.

raise the zag
07-29-2018, 07:14 AM
I haven’t seen him on the bench since the injury.

Hopefully minor. Rui rolled his ankle too for Japan this Summer, wonder if their trainers tape them up as much as they do here, or at all?

Outside a couple blatant silly TO's, I thought Joel looked solid again. His handles are still a work in progress, and I have no idea about whether jumping is a learned or taught skill, but it needs work.

His statline is solid:

14 pts, 5 assists, 3 rebs in 20 mins (also 4 TO's, and several unforced for the most part).

Ayayi is a weapon, that's for sure.

He is like the track star a football team recruits for a few handoffs or pitches a game, or return a kickoff for TD, etc. We will most likely use him this way -- at least I hope -- as most teams will not expect or be able to contain that speed, esp if we are running with them (as we mistakenly tried to do vs FSU in S16).

I'd be willing to bet Joel would probably win a full court race with anyone at the D1 level, his length and speed are raw but impressive. I'd bet he is a 4.4 40 type guy.

Zagceo
07-29-2018, 07:34 AM
Hopefully minor. Rui rolled his ankle too for Japan this Summer, wonder if their trainers tape them up as much as they do here, or at all?

Outside a couple blatant silly TO's, I thought Joel looked solid again. His handles are still a work in progress, and I have no idea about whether jumping is a learned or taught skill, but it needs work.

His statline is solid:

14 pts, 5 assists, 3 rebs in 20 mins (also 4 TO's, and several unforced for the most part).

Ayayi is a weapon, that's for sure.

He is like the track star a football team recruits for a few handoffs or pitches a game, or return a kickoff for TD, etc. We will most likely use him this way -- at least I hope -- as most teams will not expect or be able to contain that speed, esp if we are running with them (as we mistakenly tried to do vs FSU in S16).

I'd be willing to bet Joel would probably win a full court race with anyone at the D1 level, his length and speed are raw but impressive. I'd bet he is a 4.4 40 type guy.

gangly raw is gonna be tough getting reps in Fews practice let alone games IMO

lets hope he's no Renaldo Nehemiah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaldo_Nehemiah)

Zagceo
07-29-2018, 07:38 AM
replay of Serbia vs GB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI1TwuX7_Go&t=0s&index=3&list=PLCXERy73Oiz8fDYN2aXfGxHY4lZp-Hu61

Mantua
07-29-2018, 07:41 AM

Women in the stands were fanning themselves today and yesterday. I don’t think the gym was air conditioned and there was a lot of slipping on the court.

70% shooting from Ayayi impressed me.

Zagceo
07-29-2018, 07:51 AM

just think if refs called all the travels

24sec clock really adds pace but at the expense of control

Mantua
07-29-2018, 08:05 AM
Petrusev’s shooting over two games is 73.1%

West Side Lady
07-29-2018, 08:05 AM
Women in the stands were fanning themselves today and yesterday. I don’t think the gym was air conditioned and there was a lot of slipping on the court.

70% shooting from Ayayi impressed me.

True, several of those TO's appeared to be due to a slippery court. I was commenting on the game itself, not just Ayayi's TO's. Game as a whole looked like the JV squads were playing.
I like a lot about Ayayi and am interested to see him develop further. Someone here (too lazy to check who) made the observation yesterday that his dribbling so far out from his body might be related to his speed, and it did look that way at times today.

Zagceo
07-29-2018, 08:13 AM
Petrusev’s shooting over two games is 73.1%

I can't recall another 18 year old big with such body control..watched Zach play Chino Hills in person as 18 year old a close second

glides like a 6'4" guard

Zagdawg
07-29-2018, 08:14 AM
Watching Petrusev --- he looks like he might supplant Larsen as our backup center if he keeps on developing.

Mantua
07-29-2018, 08:18 AM
True, several of those TO's appeared to be due to a slippery court. I was commenting on the game itself, not just Ayayi's TO's. Game as a whole looked like the JV squads were playing.
I like a lot about Ayayi and am interested to see him develop further. Someone here (too lazy to check who) made the observation yesterday that his dribbling so far out from his body might be related to his speed, and it did look that way at times today.

I agree about the level of play, especially for France when Ayayi was off the court. With his speed, quickness and length Few might find Ayayi useful on defense at least in conference play. I’m expecting the bench to get more minutes than usual in conference this year.

Malastein
07-29-2018, 02:48 PM
Watching Petrusev --- he looks like he might supplant Larsen as our backup center if he keeps on developing.

I think he probably will. Granted, that Great Britain team didn’t look like they had many quality players on it. Game looked to be about low D1 level of quality. Petrusev has a long way to go as far as spacing defensively...

Bogozags
07-30-2018, 03:11 AM

It appears to me, you might be writing Larsen off pretty early in the pre-season...

Personally, IMO Larsen has excellent hands and feet and rebounder...D1 basketball isn't high school or U17 FIBA and Petrusev will have a severe learning curve. He isn't Sabonis who played with professionals before arriving on campus and Larsen has proven that he can play with the best in the road game against Villanova. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off and hope "we" will be pleasantly surprised with his play...

Again, IMO I see him as the first big off the bench to play and one of ten players to see the court this coming season.

jazzdelmar
07-30-2018, 03:50 AM
One year into the program, I’m still getting a PMAC vibe......

Zagceo
07-30-2018, 07:35 AM
For me Coleman vibe

jazzdelmar
07-30-2018, 07:38 AM
For me Coleman vibe

Hoping for the best. PMAC was a far more serviceable player. Just would not be now. Coleman was a bust.

raise the zag
07-30-2018, 11:17 AM
One year into the program, I’m still getting a PMAC vibe......

I can see that, I compared them earlier as well.

Joel appears much more aggressive on offense.

As quick and athletic as P-MAC was, he was shy on & off the court. Never really pushed himself to improve or compete harder...

All things considered, Joel seems to be more aggressive on both sides of the ball which will pay dividends for him.

PMAC was 19 before he arrived on campus, Ayayi won't turn 19 til 2019.

MDABE80
07-30-2018, 12:10 PM
Few chose wisely as did Tommy. All are good players now but need to be developed to be D1 excellence. We're beginning to smell a lot like a top 5 team and maybe more. Joel develops into a great PG with Zach alongside, we should be fine out front. BIG? we need. Sounds like we have some very good ones in the incubator.

MontanaCoyote
07-30-2018, 05:28 PM
Got a question. With all these fine players we have for the 18-19 season (we’re “loaded”) how close do you think we are to having a team like the Florida State squad that got us in the sweet 16? Seems like every player that came off the bench
had a real impact either with rebounds, points or both.

Are we “there” with this years team?

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-31-2018, 02:10 AM
Got a question. With all these fine players we have for the 18-19 season (we’re “loaded”) how close do you think we are to having a team like the Florida State squad that got us in the sweet 16? Seems like every player that came off the bench
had a real impact either with rebounds, points or both.

Are we “there” with this years team?

I’d say this squad is not quite there but can see there from here.

Depends on how Few utilizes Jones, Ayayi, Larsen and Petrusev and if the 3 or 4 of them can earn meaningful minutes. Also depends on team chemistry. Assuming a core 7 of Perkins, Crandall, Norvell, Clarke, Tillie, Rui, Kispert than for the squad to utilize a 10-11 man rotation several of those core 7 would have to be on board w getting only about 25 minutes of playing time per game.

Jstock12
07-31-2018, 03:06 AM
PETRUSEV IS PLAYING RIGHT NOW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNJEoHeHG1I

Jstock12
07-31-2018, 05:16 AM
Petrusev with the game-winner against Montenegro :)

21p/8r/3a/1s/2b

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 05:23 AM
After 3 games Filip is 2nd in scoring in the entire tourney right behind his teammate Pecarski:

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2018/playerstats

JAGzag
07-31-2018, 05:47 AM
After 3 games Filip is 2nd in scoring in the entire tourney right behind his teammate Pecarski:

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2018/playerstats

Is Pecarski the kid we wanted but turned pro? I can’t keep track!

Zagdawg
07-31-2018, 06:19 AM
Correct Jagzag.

Petrusev is 2nd -- but has a better shooting percentage than Pecarski -- 65% to 56.8%-- probably has something to do with Petrusev sticking to the inside and not taking any 3 point shots -- and I thought Petrusev as a pretty good 3 point shooter in high school.

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 06:59 AM
Is Pecarski the kid we wanted but turned pro? I can’t keep track!

Yes. He's so unique though, he has the body of a 63 year old man, but is very skilled. lol Petrusev is always calm under pressure; love that about him.

MontanaCoyote
07-31-2018, 06:59 AM
I’d say this squad is not quite there but can see there from here.

Depends on how Few utilizes Jones, Ayayi, Larsen and Petrusev and if the 3 or 4 of them can earn meaningful minutes. Also depends on team chemistry. Assuming a core 7 of Perkins, Crandall, Norvell, Clarke, Tillie, Rui, Kispert than for the squad to utilize a 10-11 man rotation several of those core 7 would have to be on board w getting only about 25 minutes of playing time per game.

Flex, Thanks. What FLA ST was able to do in that sweet 16 game both frustrated and impressed me. They just kept sending
guys in that made a real contribution. I kept saying, “Damn, who are these guys!?” That we may be closing in on that ability is very good news.

cggonzaga
07-31-2018, 07:50 AM
People sure liked that FSU team. Truth of the matter is they were above average at best but got hot at the right time. Any coach would take Gonzaga’s roster this year over last year’s FSU roster and it’s not close.

Zagdawg
07-31-2018, 07:56 AM
Replay

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2018/videos

stretch
07-31-2018, 08:15 AM
Wow! Montenegro really blew it down the stretch in regulation time. They had a 5 point lead and the ball at 47 seconds. Missed free throws did them in. Petrusev looked very good at this level, very solid when switched onto a guard in pick and roll defense. He has better mobility than Larsen, less strength. It should be a battle for rotation minutes this coming season.

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 08:27 AM
Wow! Montenegro really blew it down the stretch in regulation time. They had a 5 point lead and the ball at 47 seconds. Missed free throws did them in. Petrusev looked very good at this level, very solid when switched onto a guard in pick and roll defense. He has better mobility than Larsen, less strength. It should be a battle for rotation minutes this coming season.

I see FP as a pf and Larsen as a c, they should compliment one another not compete against each other.

Zagceo
07-31-2018, 09:28 AM
France vs Germany

10:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JNwU3ZuQLs

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 09:41 AM
France vs Germany

10:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JNwU3ZuQLs

Thanks. National anthem time, games about to start.

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 09:44 AM
Joel not starting. Wow!

Zagdawg
07-31-2018, 09:46 AM
Did someone say he turned his ankle last game?

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 09:58 AM
Joel in now

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 10:08 AM
He's running fine, no signs of an injury. I wonder if anyone has offered Kenny Baptiste, he looks like an intriguing sf.

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 10:42 AM
Joel has 2 points at the half and has pretty much been invisible.

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 10:48 AM
Joel not starting the 2nd half either

jazzdelmar
07-31-2018, 11:11 AM
Joel has 2 points at the half and has pretty much been invisible.

Maybe PMAC is a reach.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-31-2018, 11:26 AM
Maybe PMAC is a reach.

How very jazzy of you!

LTownZag
07-31-2018, 11:33 AM
Petrusev with the game-winner against Montenegro :)

21p/8r/3a/1s/2b

Shades of Markkanen.

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 12:00 PM
I think Joel is going to be an asset.

This game reminds me of Dean Smith and Jordan. As in "who is capable of holding Jordan under twenty?" French coaches look like they aren't interested in showcasing their best player.

I've watched all 3 games thus far, he's not their best player. But yes, their coaches flat out suck. To lose to Germany by almost 20 points is inexcusable. He finished with 4 points and 7 rebounds

Zagdawg
07-31-2018, 02:09 PM
https://twitter.com/PetrusevFilip/status/1024416294664318976

Zagceo
07-31-2018, 06:23 PM
https://twitter.com/PetrusevFilip/status/1024416294664318976

so looks like Collins in that pic

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Djd1J8OXoAAi13w.jpg

jazzdelmar
07-31-2018, 07:12 PM
How very jazzy of you!

After one year scrimmaging with a top 10 CBB team wouldn’t you think he’d be ahead of where he seems to be?

Markburn1
07-31-2018, 08:37 PM
Mods. PM me. Let me know what the problem is.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-01-2018, 02:36 AM
After one year scrimmaging with a top 10 CBB team wouldn’t you think he’d be ahead of where he seems to be?

I just think it’s funny you posted yet another negative comment. As for where I think Ayayi would be after one year in a D1 program, very little info to determine how much his game has developed. Let’s revisit that question at the end of this season.

raise the zag
08-01-2018, 02:55 AM
I just think it’s funny you posted yet another negative comment. As for where I think Ayayi would be after one year in a D1 program, very little info to determine how much his game has developed. Let’s revisit that question at the end of this season.

We can't forget he is still 18, not even that close to 19.

Most of our true freshman come in at 19 or turn 19 shortly after arriving.

Yes, Ayayi has been in the program but still actively growing and maturing.

He was also France's 2nd leading scorer, 2nd leading in assists, & 2nd leading rebounder before yesterday's game.

He tweaked his ankle the game before and admitted to some minor pain & swelling. Maybe they are/were protecting him?

Also, France's coaches have been willy nilly this entire tourney with lineups and inexplicably sitting or pulling their most effective players. They aren't playing to win, and I posted that DURING their first game vs Russia.

Joel showed me plenty of flashes. He has a long way to go, likely another full year to refine his skills, yet he has 1% elite speed, even at this level. His wingspan alone makes plays on defense. When he showed intensity or committed himself on defense, he controlled that end of the floor.

And good night in the open court or seam when he properly uses a ball screen, which he missed or didn't set up properly. This takes some finesse, timing, & patience to utilize correctly.

He had some touch around the rim, and had a handful of nice passes or setting up guys, who often missed open shots.

His careless TO's, loose handles, & inconsistent effort were areas to improve upon, but he has done pretty well vs the Worlds best U18 players.

Remember, Joel is still a Freshman this season, and even younger than our incoming true Freshman, think about that for a second.

An 18 yr old, 6'5" combo guard with a 6'8" wingspan, lighting quick, and scoring dbl digit points vs several current euro pros...you take a chance on this profile every time.

We compare his speed to Goodson, Joel might even be faster.....plus 6 or 7 inches taller.

Jstock12
08-01-2018, 02:59 AM
Round of 16 today.

Ayayi vs Greece
Petrusev vs Ukraine

jazzdelmar
08-01-2018, 04:04 AM

Funny? Funny how? Do I amuse you, make you laugh?

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-01-2018, 04:54 AM
Funny? Funny how? Do I amuse you, make you laugh?

Funny peculiar not funny ha-ha. Yes, you amuse me...but you’re a GoodFella!

bigblahla
08-01-2018, 05:21 AM
Ahhhh, must be pick on Jazz time again.... I see nothing personal in jazz's comments, only an opinion, yet some here feel an obligation to continually besmirch his opinion.... protectors of the faith? No... seemingly, a more pious than thou approach by those who never really understand Jazz's point of view.... he is a basketball fan..... his opinion hasn't changed as long as I can remember and I've been here for over 10 years.... yeah, this board is not a democracy but some who post here have a tendency to become very personal and almost insulting in there comments towards Jazz, .... Basketball board, comments about basketball should not draw the ire of the inhabitants and inflame them to fire and pitchforks for any other member.

It's going to be a great year, another amazing ride for all Gonzaga fans.... let's enjoy it together.... Peace to all...

Just my opinion....

Go!! Zags!!!

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 05:55 AM
France vs Greece on now:

https://youtu.be/i6NBAVNACyg

Joel leading the team with 12

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 06:07 AM
I tuned in with 6 minutes left in the 1st half and Joel didn't play at all despite leading the team in scoring for the game. Did I mention that France's coaches suck?

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 06:20 AM
Joel starting the 2nd half

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 06:37 AM
very competitive game so far. Ayayi really is the French Flash he gets to the rim at will, score s a lot of contested layups. Has 18 so far.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 06:39 AM
Joel with a really nice running floater from the ft line with 38 seconds left in the 3rd. The Greeks can't stay in front of him.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 06:41 AM
french coach is an idiot, Joel is killing it, picks up only his 2nd foul and the coach immediately subs him out. ugh :mad:

ZagNative
08-01-2018, 06:48 AM
Joel with 29 points on 61% shooting. France leads 76-70 with 4:08 left in the fourth.

raise the zag
08-01-2018, 06:57 AM
Joel with 29 points on 61% shooting. France leads 76-70 with 4:08 left in the fourth.

5 steals as well.

His quicks hands and long arms are incredibly disruptive.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 06:59 AM
Joel with another floater from the ft line and then a baseline runner off of the glass.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 07:03 AM
OMG, HE IS ON FIRE! Another runner in the lane and then he calmly comes down and nails a 3 with a defender in his face. he's toying with Greece and if we could get this Joel every game and not yesterdays Joel, we'd have something special. He seems to suffer from the same thing as Killian; not bringing it 100% every game, but when they do, they're unstoppable.

GuZag2012
08-01-2018, 07:09 AM
Was able to catch the 4th quarter and that was definitely fun to watch Ayayi play as he brought France back to start the quarter. 31 points total is quite the performance. I was also impressed with the play of French big man Mathis Dossou Yovo down the stretch as well. He had some nice strong finishes at the rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raise the zag
08-01-2018, 07:12 AM
Joel with another floater from the ft line...

OMG, HE IS ON FIRE! Another runner in the lane....

The first Zag guard since NWG to be able to hit this shot.

Yesterday's game - of the 4 - was the anomaly. Could have been injury related, could have been coach sending amessage after being loose with the ball, etc.

He has proven he can out run anyone when he wants, has solid touch, finds seams, can be a pest on defense, and is a weapon.

We need a player like him as Perkins and Geno both lack speed. They are very similar with good handles, slippery, & smooth, yet neither are blowing by guys. They use shot fakes and screens much better of course. Norvell was the only one who could create in the lane and he used his strength and quick explosive moves to do it. Not speed.

Joel is that guy for us. When we play a team with great size and length on perimeter, he can still blow past them, not just wiggle dribble around, which wont happen vs excellent defense.

I am excited for him.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 07:15 AM
Joel was absolutely dominant and unstoppable today; finished with 31 points and scored in every way possible, runners, floaters, jumpers, you name it, he did it. He makes too many silly reach in fouls, but the talent is there and potential is limitless. he just has to decide if he wants to bring it like today and drop 30+ or mail it in like yesterday and score 4, the choice is his. On a side note the French big, Dousso Yovo dunks everything HARD and if he loses the baby fat and starts lifting, he'll be a beast.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 07:16 AM
The first Zag guard since NWG to be able to hit this shot.

Yesterday's game - of the 4 - was the anomaly. Could have been injury related, could have been coach sending amessage after being loose with the ball, etc.

He has proven he can out run anyone when he wants, has solid touch, finds seams, can be a pest on defense, and is a weapon.

We need a player like him as Perkins and Geno both lack speed. They are very similar with good handles, slippery, & smooth, yet neither are blowing by guys. They use shot fakes and screens much better of course. Norvell was the only one who could create in the lane and he used his strength and quick explosive moves to do it. Not speed.

Joel is that guy for us. When we play a team with great size and length on perimeter, he can still blow past them, not just wiggle dribble around, which wont happen vs excellent defense.

I am excited for him.

I think you're right and I was wrong, he is better than advertised, just has to bring it every game. Zach can hit the floater too. This tourney is such good prep for Joel, I'm ecstatic thus far.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 07:29 AM
Filip and Serbia about to start:

https://youtu.be/buuhFpPtdC0

Man, I am getting no work done. lol

ZagNative
08-01-2018, 07:37 AM
Live Stats (http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2018/game/0108/Serbia-Ukraine#tab=boxscore)

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 07:40 AM
Filip missed 2 layups but scores with 5:22 left in the first. He's always so calm, very good attribute.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 08:02 AM
At the 5:49 mark Ukraine came with the hard double (they've been doubling him all game as soon as he gets the ball) and he split the defenders for the basket and the 'and 1". This kid is gonna be a stud.

Markburn1
08-01-2018, 08:11 AM

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 08:12 AM
Filip has 11/6 at the half and his trouble making pg Paunavic has 15/5

ZagaholicPodcast
08-01-2018, 08:24 AM
Filip has 11/6 at the half and his trouble making pg Paunavic has 15/5

Try typing less.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 08:27 AM
Petrusev not starting the 2nd half

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 08:36 AM
he hasn't played at all in the 2nd half. He was shaking his hand on a dunk attempt that should've been called a foul, wonder if that's why he hasn't played the 2nd half.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 08:37 AM
Try typing less.

I think we have an ignore feature; try it, you might like it.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Well, he finally came in with 2 minutes left in the 3rd, weird. On a side note, I love this kid Trifunovic, long, athletic, great shooter and passer. he could play the sf for a high major D1.

Worthington
08-01-2018, 08:48 AM
Filip's footwork in the post is a thing of beauty. With a reliable mid range jump shot his offensive potential is huge.

I truly believe he is not that far behind Zach Collins at the same stage. Not the same type of aggressive scorer, but leaps and bounds better as a passer. Similar instincts as a rim protector, both great at maintaing verticality. In terms of physical tools, Zach has him beat by a bit though. Still, put me on record saying I think Petrusev is only here for two years before he is league bound.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 08:50 AM
Him and Paunovic have mastered the pick and roll, he dives to the rim so well. he's just so fundamentally sound.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 08:57 AM
He just came out with 3minutes left. They're winning by 70 so it's safe to say that he's done for the day. Finished with 25/9

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 09:18 AM
So to recap how our guys did in their respective quarterfinals, I can sum it up in one word; phenomenal. Joel truly was The French Flash getting to the rim at will vs Greece, scoring any way he wanted. he had multiple floaters, layups, 3 pointers, shots off the glass, you name it, he made it. Finished with 31/5/rebs/2/assists/5 steals!!! As I mentioned a few times, the sky is the limit with this kid and like Tillie, if he learns to bring it every game, he'll be a star. Petrusev again was cool, calm and collected and just so darn skilled; has every post move that a big man needs. He finished with 25/9 in only 20 minutes, but it was against Ukraine which would lose to Gonzaga Prep, so it's hard to take too much away from the game. Oddly, I haven't seen him take a 3 in 4 games. he may have, but I haven't seen it. But he's so skilled down low, he doesn't need to.

Bottom line: We got two flat out studs and if they both hone their skills, the sky's the limit for both.

ZagNative
08-01-2018, 09:27 AM
Thanks, Spy. I've enjoyed your commentary in this thread.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 09:36 AM

My pleasure. I enjoy watching our youngin's compete internationally, and the bonus is that they're both great players in this tourney. My bosses might not like it as I'm watching the games at work though. lol

Bouldin4Prez
08-01-2018, 09:38 AM
So to recap how our guys did in their respective quarterfinals, I can sum it up in one word; phenomenal. Joel truly was The French Flash getting to the rim at will vs Greece, scoring any way he wanted. he had multiple floaters, layups, 3 pointers, shots off the glass, you name it, he made it. Finished with 31/5/rebs/2/assists/5 steals!!! As I mentioned a few times, the sky is the limit with this kid and like Tillie, if he learns to bring it every game, he'll be a star. Petrusev again was cool, calm and collected and just so darn skilled; has every post move that a big man needs. He finished with 25/9 in only 20 minutes, but it was against Ukraine which would lose to Gonzaga Prep, so it's hard to take too much away from the game. Oddly, I haven't seen him take a 3 in 4 games. he may have, but I haven't seen it. But he's so skilled down low, he doesn't need to.

Bottom line: We got two flat out studs and if they both hone their skills, the sky's the limit for both.

Awesome. Thanks for the updates, Spy.

Zagal
08-01-2018, 09:53 AM
Yes, he's 18 and inconsistent, but 29 points with a variety of shots. Nice!

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 10:00 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the updates, Spy.

my pleasure

hockeyzag
08-01-2018, 10:44 AM
I appreciate it too Spy. I hope some type of highlight reel will be put up on youtube at some point, I would love to watch more of these two.

raise the zag
08-01-2018, 11:31 AM
I was ecstatic to see Ayayi actually set up and use his ball screens vs Greece.

Honestly, made me giddy.

Showed more patience and bball IQ as this Tournament progressed, great sign!

Given his break-neck natural speed, it is imperative for him to fully exploit the pick n roll game.

This will be effective for him as early as next season.

#thefrenchflash

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-01-2018, 11:40 AM
My pleasure. I enjoy watching our youngin's compete internationally, and the bonus is that they're both great players in this tourney. My bosses might not like it as I'm watching the games at work though. lol

Thanks for your recaps Spy. Petrusev seems to have plenty of confidence; really glad Ayayi has performed so well following redshirt season as this is sure to help him feel confident and ready to go for Zags this season. I hope both these guys earn meaningful minutes as well as Larsen. Deepest bench Zags have ever had!!?

ZagaholicPodcast
08-01-2018, 12:06 PM
I was ecstatic to see Ayayi actually set up and use his ball screens vs Greece.

Honestly, made me giddy.

Showed more patience and bball IQ as this Tournament progressed, great sign!

Given his break-neck natural speed, it is imperative for him to fully exploit the pick n roll game.

This will be effective for him as early as next season.

#thefrenchflash

It's best for people to accept that he's going to be a 2/3 Swing. Much disappointment follows the expectation that he will be a point guard someday.

cggonzaga
08-01-2018, 12:18 PM
It's best for people to accept that he's going to be a 2/3 Swing. Much disappointment follows the expectation that he will be a point guard someday.

And also that he’ll break into the 9 man rotation this year. Just too many good players ahead of him right now.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 01:08 PM

Yeah, I had always read and heard that he was the heir apparent to Josh at the point guard position but he has not played one minute of point guard for France and I don't see him as a point guard in anyway shape or form. He is a scoring two guard and even a small forward.

raise the zag
08-01-2018, 01:23 PM

Just as he has been used in this FIBA tourney. He has yet to play PG for France.

Within Gonzaga's flex - motion offense, the 2 and 3 guard/wing are isolated often for ball screens, just look at Norvell last year, or NWG/Perkins 2 yrs ago, list goes on...

I don't anticipate him being a PG, but will definitely be used heavily in a iso ball screen or pick n roll at top of key no matter what position he plays. He is so fast to the hoop, our Coaches will utilize this strength. If not, I'd be shocked.

The terrific thing about the Zag offense, is the fact we ball screen for the 1-4 position, unlike some who create only for lead guards at top of the key. Its our calling card offensively, and having face up forwards, and versatile guards at the wing spot is our forte.

I'm just excited to see him grow and develop as a slashing combo guard in our system, and never presumed he'd be the PG of the future. Speaking of, next year could be interesting at PG with Perkins, Geno, & Norvell likely leaving.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Just as he has been used in this FIBA tourney. He has yet to play PG for France.

Within Gonzaga's flex - motion offense, the 2 and 3 guard/wing are isolated often for ball screens, just look at Norvell last year, or NWG/Perkins 2 yrs ago, list goes on...

I don't anticipate him being a PG, but will definitely be used heavily in a iso ball screen or pick n roll at top of key no matter what position he plays. He is so fast to the hoop, our Coaches will utilize this strength. If not, I'd be shocked.

The terrific thing about the Zag offense, is the fact we ball screen for the 1-4 position, unlike some who create only for lead guards at top of the key. Its our calling card offensively, and having face up forwards, and versatile guards at the wing spot is our forte.

I'm just excited to see him grow and develop as a slashing combo guard in our system, and never presumed he'd be the PG of the future. Speaking of, next year could be interesting at PG with Perkins, Geno, & Norvell likely leaving.

Good post. yeah, who the heck's gonna be our pg next season? Ravet as a true frosh? Pangos did it.

kitzbuel
08-01-2018, 01:34 PM
It's best for people to accept that he's going to be a 2/3 Swing. Much disappointment follows the expectation that he will be a point guard someday.With his speed and with any ball handling skill I can definitely see him helping bring the ball up court against presses.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Mantua
08-01-2018, 01:34 PM
Good post. yeah, who the heck's gonna be our pg next season? Ravet as a true frosh? Pangos did it.

Boogie?

Meanwhile I hope the coaches are checking out big man Dossou Yovo. He’s only 17.

Malastein
08-01-2018, 01:58 PM
I’m just happy to hear that both these guys will be able to contribute to the team. New recruits are always iffy, but when they contribute at a high level on the international stage it’s a good sign they’ll see success. I feel like Few said he thought Ayayi could’ve helped at points last year, so I’m not too worried. How much burn either will get is still TBD, but this upcoming team is loaded with potential up and down the roster.

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 01:59 PM
Boogie?

Meanwhile I hope the coaches are checking out big man Dossou Yovo. He’s only 17.

yeah, I've posted about him several times in this thread. He dunks everything around the rim, hard. Once he loses the baby fat and trains properly he's gonna be a beast.

bballbeachbum
08-01-2018, 03:26 PM

me too spy, thanks

OZZY
08-01-2018, 04:35 PM
Me three...

Great to see Ayayi show the world what he is capable of.

His performance seems to have quietened down the "Negative Nancy's" ............

:)

Mantua
08-01-2018, 04:43 PM
I was surprised to see the coaches take Joel out of the game in the 4th quarter and more surprised when they decided to win and put him back in.

GoZags
08-01-2018, 05:42 PM

Let's see if the staff adds another kid to this year's team ..... if they do, that "might" help answer your question.

GoZags
08-01-2018, 07:29 PM

Agree

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 08:06 PM
Let's see if the staff adds another kid to this year's team ..... if they do, that "might" help answer your question.

Whoa.....GZ breaking some huge news?!?!?! Adding a player this late in the season? Has to be a euro at this point, correct?

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2018, 08:08 PM
You're welcome to everyone that has said thank you for me posting the links to the games and the commentary. To be honest it's my pleasure because I love reading, talking about, watching and writing about our beloved zags.

GoZags
08-02-2018, 03:28 AM
Whoa.....GZ breaking some huge news?!?!?! Adding a player this late in the season? Has to be a euro at this point, correct?

Sorry ... no "breaking" news.

It's just that there IS an open scholarship .... the staff knows the team's needs (this year and beyond). I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 13th scholarship player on the roster when school starts in a month or so. We'll have to wait and see .... like we did that one late August when Ronny Turiaf suddenly became a Zag.

thespywhozaggedme
08-02-2018, 05:31 AM
No games today; a day of rest. Tomorrow France plays super early, while we're all still sleeping vs Montenegro. And Serbia plays Germany.

thespywhozaggedme
08-02-2018, 05:50 AM
Article and highlight clip on the front page of FIBA about Joel:

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2018/news/with-family-support-ayayi-shakes-off-rust-to-lead-france-to-quarter-finals

And this highly complimentary tweet from Austin Green (don't know who he is):

Austin Green
@LosCrossovers
Huge game for Gonzaga redshirt freshman Joel Ayayi in France's 86-81 quarterfinal win vs. Greece at #FIBAU18Europe

Ayayi had 31 (11/16 2FG, 2/5 3FG, 3/3 FT), 5 reb, 5 stl, 2 ast, 3 TOs in 29:18. Aggressive defender with disruptive length, smart cutter, made 4 floaters in a row

2:36 AM - Aug 2, 2018

Virginia Zags Fan
08-02-2018, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the highlight reel and article!

thespywhozaggedme
08-02-2018, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the highlight reel and article!

my pleasure

Reborn
08-02-2018, 07:00 AM
Article and highlight clip on the front page of FIBA about Joel:

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2018/news/with-family-support-ayayi-shakes-off-rust-to-lead-france-to-quarter-finals

And this highly complimentary tweet from Austin Green (don't know who he is):

Austin Green
@LosCrossovers
Huge game for Gonzaga redshirt freshman Joel Ayayi in France's 86-81 quarterfinal win vs. Greece at #FIBAU18Europe

Ayayi had 31 (11/16 2FG, 2/5 3FG, 3/3 FT), 5 reb, 5 stl, 2 ast, 3 TOs in 29:18. Aggressive defender with disruptive length, smart cutter, made 4 floaters in a row

2:36 AM - Aug 2, 2018

Thanks for the article and video. What an unusual player Ayayi is. His floaters in the lane certainly reminded me of NWG. His shot looks funny, but the ball goes in. I think this is the first video I've seen of him. He is really fast, and has a really quick first step when he attacks the basket. The problem I see is that he won't have this kind of freedom at GU. Because of the talent that's ahead of him, he'll need to be a role player at GU. I am hoping that he can play with this kind of confidence as a role player coming in off the bench. If he can, Gonzaga is going to be unstoppable. I remember when Melson played that role two years ago when we went to the NCAA Finals. I think Ayayi has a similar mindset:play tough D, really tough D, hit a few outside jumpers and attack the basket and rebound. Melson had difficulty scoring when he attacked the basket. I think Joel may be more successful as he has a real good floater in the lane. I've become more excited about Ayayi after watching this video.

Go Zags!!!

thespywhozaggedme
08-02-2018, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the article and video. What an unusual player Ayayi is. His floaters in the lane certainly reminded me of NWG. His shot looks funny, but the ball goes in. I think this is the first video I've seen of him. He is really fast, and has a really quick first step when he attacks the basket. The problem I see is that he won't have this kind of freedom at GU. Because of the talent that's ahead of him, he'll need to be a role player at GU. I am hoping that he can play with this kind of confidence as a role player coming in off the bench. If he can, Gonzaga is going to be unstoppable. I remember when Melson played that role two years ago when we went to the NCAA Finals. I think Ayayi has a similar mindset:play tough D, really tough D, hit a few outside jumpers and attack the basket and rebound. Melson had difficulty scoring when he attacked the basket. I think Joel may be more successful as he has a real good floater in the lane. I've become more excited about Ayayi after watching this video.

Go Zags!!!

I've watched every game that he's played in this tourney so far, save one and he's so much better than I thought he was. he's so darn quick, no one can keep up with him, I started calling him the French Flash. But you're right I don't know if few will give him the reigns to play his style. We shall see.

thespywhozaggedme
08-02-2018, 07:17 AM
Someone mentioned in this thread (I think it was raise, but not sure) that he has a really weird habit of jumping off of both feet which reduces his explosion big time and you can clearly see that in the clip at the 4:06 mark where his teammate steals the ball and passes it to Joel for an easy dunk but he awkwardly jumps off of both feet limiting his vertical and just lays it in, check it out, it's really weird. he's 6'4 but hasn't dunked this entire tournament.

willandi
08-02-2018, 07:19 AM
He sure looks like he knows where the basket is. Those long arms really seemed to help in getting the ball up, while deep in traffic. I don't know if the others were not aware or what, but some of the close in shots were surprising.

23dpg
08-02-2018, 08:50 AM
Someone mentioned in this thread (I think it was raise, but not sure) that he has a really weird habit of jumping off of both feet which reduces his explosion big time and you can clearly see that in the clip at the 4:06 mark where his teammate steals the ball and passes it to Joel for an easy dunk but he awkwardly jumps off of both feet limiting his vertical and just lays it in, check it out, it's really weird. he's 6'4 but hasn't dunked this entire tournament.

He is definitely a two footed jumper. I was like that. So was Silas Melson. Slight difference in altitude gained.

bballbeachbum
08-02-2018, 09:05 AM
enjoyed the article and video too

on the 2 footed jumping thing, think I saw him finish 4 of his first 5 baskets off of one foot jumps in that video. But I see the jump stop he uses, uses it all the time in traffic, kind of freezes guys. if he can hit that little mid ranger off that jump stop consistently enough like in this video, I mean, if anyone who plays on the perimeter using the dribble can do that consistently.......

that was fun to watch

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-02-2018, 09:05 AM
No games today; a day of rest. Tomorrow France plays super early, while we're all still sleeping vs Montenegro. And Serbia plays Germany.

Rooting for France and Serbia of course....would be cool to watch two Zags battling for a championship.

ZagNative
08-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Has anyone else posted this from Twitter (https://twitter.com/DXContent/status/1025064901881020417)?

DraftExpressContent
‏ @DXContent

Here's a look at the top prospects in terms of PER heading into tomorrow's quarterfinals at the @FIBA U18 A Division Tournament in #Latvia, according to the @DraftExpress database

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjnDEp_W4AAb8fu.jpg

MDABE80
08-02-2018, 12:01 PM
Joel may be a role player at the beginning of the season but he's going to get lots of minutes with his improved shooting, ball handling , passing and quick to the rim drive. His defense is killer. He'll be a superior player for us. I'd pick him to be an AA .but the last time I guessed that, wow......I was just SO wrong! He's developing quickly though.

sittingon50
08-02-2018, 12:52 PM
Has anyone else posted this from Twitter (https://twitter.com/DXContent/status/1025064901881020417)?

Thanks Native.

Does anyone know if any of the others listed are NCAA bound this coming season?

ZagNative
08-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Hey! We need to vote for our preferred MVP of the U18's! Who is your #FIBAU18Europe 2018 MVP (http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2018/news/who-deserves-to-be-named-fibau18europe-mvp-vote-now)?

Edited to add this from the story: "The official MVP and the All-Star Five awards will be decided by the media and coaches."

At this point, Joel has 6% of the vote and Filip 4%. We need to give those guys a boost!

cggonzaga
08-02-2018, 02:36 PM
Joel may be a role player at the beginning of the season but he's going to get lots of minutes with his improved shooting, ball handling , passing and quick to the rim drive. His defense is killer. He'll be a superior player for us. I'd pick him to be an AA .but the last time I guessed that, wow......I was just SO wrong! He's developing quickly though.

These kinds of statements didn’t work well for you last time. Hope for a better result this time. It’s going to be awfully difficult for him to crack top 10 this season unless somebody gets hurt.

ZagNative
08-02-2018, 03:15 PM
Hey! We need to vote for our preferred MVP of the U18's! Who is your #FIBAU18Europe 2018 MVP (http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2018/news/who-deserves-to-be-named-fibau18europe-mvp-vote-now)?

Edited to add this from the story: "The official MVP and the All-Star Five awards will be decided by the media and coaches."

At this point, Joel has 6% of the vote and Filip 4%. We need to give those guys a boost!

Filip now up to 11% and Joel to 9%. Keep voting, folks!

Mantua
08-02-2018, 03:41 PM
enjoyed the article and video too

on the 2 footed jumping thing, think I saw him finish 4 of his first 5 baskets off of one foot jumps in that video. But I see the jump stop he uses, uses it all the time in traffic, kind of freezes guys. if he can hit that little mid ranger off that jump stop consistently enough like in this video, I mean, if anyone who plays on the perimeter using the dribble can do that consistently.......

that was fun to watch

He can beat a lot of defenders with pretty arc on his midrange shot.

Bogozags
08-02-2018, 05:46 PM

What time in the AM?

Thanks...

thespywhozaggedme
08-02-2018, 06:00 PM
What time in the AM?

Thanks...

7am eastern, I think. I honestly don't know how to read it. It says 1400.

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2018/game/0308/France-Montenegro

ZagNative
08-02-2018, 06:04 PM
What time in the AM?

Thanks...France at 4:00 AM Spokane time, Serbia at 6:15 AM

Bogozags
08-03-2018, 03:53 AM
SPY and ZN THANKS!

If France had a decent HC they could be pretty darn good...led 25-15 and then were out scored 21-8 in last four minutes...

Joel's ball handling sure is suspect...

azzagfan
08-03-2018, 04:19 AM
France's pick and roll defense is as bad as it can be. Hard hedge with no rotation and the complete over commitment by the hedging defender.

raise the zag
08-03-2018, 04:45 AM
Joel's ball handling sure is suspect...

#1 area of concern. And area of improvement. Leads to a ton of his TO's. Has 7 turnovers so far today, as he has forced passes and been scouted on his slashing moves, they are undercutting him, found a weakness i.e. ballhandling.

Facing better defenders next season should help him focus on his handles, as his speed makes up for his high and loose handle.

Have a feeling he hasn't experienced hardnosed defense in practice and he is simply faster than anyone in Europe. Or much trapping or pressing vs similar athletes/size.

His spot action next season will humble him. As I mentioned earlier, his handles look identical to his 16 yr old highlight tapes.

I feel it's been hard for Joel to keep up with his growing frame, length, & his own speed. His 6'8" wingspan makes it more difficult to tighten up ballhandling as he develops, but it will in time.

The good news is, if Joel defends anyone with his type of handle, he swarms & pick pockets him everytime, vs guards and bigs alike.

His quick hands are equally impressive.

Jstock12
08-03-2018, 05:00 AM
Close game between France and Montenegro. Joel with 12 points, but also 7 turnovers. 4 minutes left in the first over-time.

Jstock12
08-03-2018, 05:10 AM
France up by 1 point with 50 seconds left.

raise the zag
08-03-2018, 05:11 AM
Joel does a nice job setting up spot shooters though.

It's a strength of his, as he knows how to collapse the interior defense, as they respect his speed, and find open shooters.

Unfortunately, he looses his handle in the lane often while doing this, yet finding guys for open shots has lead to 5 assiststhis game.

jazzdelmar
08-03-2018, 05:13 AM
Vive le France

raise the zag
08-03-2018, 05:15 AM
Joel hit the final go-ahead shot, a 3pt to take the lead for good with 25 secs to go.

He was 2-2 3pt shots.

15 pts, 5 assists, 2 stls, 7 TO's.

Birddog
08-03-2018, 05:19 AM
Attendance 44

ZagMan in Philly
08-03-2018, 05:21 AM
They trusted him with the ball in overtime. Nice winning three for Joel.

thespywhozaggedme
08-03-2018, 05:22 AM
Joel hit the final go-ahead shot, a 3pt to take the lead for good with 25 secs to go.

He was 2-2 3pt shots.

15 pts, 5 assists, 2 stls, 7 TO's.

Thanks for the updates, you must be a really early riser.

thespywhozaggedme
08-03-2018, 05:25 AM
I really hope we're recruiting their big guy, Dossou Yovo. He's so skilled and dunks everything. Just needs to get in better shape.

thespywhozaggedme
08-03-2018, 05:26 AM
Serbia game should've started already but delayed for some reason.