PDA

View Full Version : Top Players produced by head coach Mark Few

ZagsGoZags
07-24-2018, 08:03 PM
https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/05/28/gonzaga-basketball-top-15-players-to-play-for-head-coach-mark-few/4/

"This is about college accomplishments and nothing more, so itís hard for me to include lottery pick Zach Collins on this list since there are other bigs for the Bulldogs who had a bigger impact on the program."

It is fun if you pick your own top 15 first, then compare ...

bartruff1
07-24-2018, 10:41 PM
not close...a swing and a miss...

gonzagafan62
07-24-2018, 10:46 PM
Extremely accurate

Zagger
07-25-2018, 03:40 AM
Top 15 Players to Play for Head Coach Mark Few ..... The "produced" part in the thread title kinda perplexed me.

I suppose if it is kept at 15 that some of the current players will change the listing. Quite an elite group the current Zags.

Sarenyon
07-25-2018, 06:03 AM
Might move his rankings around a bit, and remove and add two or three, but a pretty good list.

willandi
07-25-2018, 06:16 AM
https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/05/28/gonzaga-basketball-top-15-players-to-play-for-head-coach-mark-few/4/

"This is about college accomplishments and nothing more, so it’s hard for me to include lottery pick Zach Collins on this list since there are other bigs for the Bulldogs who had a bigger impact on the program."

It is fun if you pick your own top 15 first, then compare ...

If you don't include Collins, how can you include NGW?

MontanaCoyote
07-25-2018, 08:08 AM
Top 15 Players to Play for Head Coach Mark Few ..... The "produced" part in the thread title kinda perplexed me.

I suppose if it is kept at 15 that some of the current players will change the listing. Quite an elite group the current Zags.

Have to put Shem ahead of Nigel for a couple of reasons: 1, Few essentially “produced” Shem 100%. Nigel, as a transfer,
less so. NGW was probably around 75% “produced” when he arrived. 2. Shem returned Few’s investment in him with 137 wins, all time NCAA record. I stated on this board ad infinitude during the 16-17 season that I believed no other player in D-1 basketball was as valuable to his team in as many different ways (many intangible/non statistical) as Shemmick. Still believe it. Credit to Shem but, consistent with this thread, Few did helped produce that. Shem #4, maybe even higher, Nigel # 5.

bartruff1
07-25-2018, 09:12 AM
If you don't include Collins, how can you include NGW?

Not fair...

zag944
07-25-2018, 10:15 AM
Kelly was our best player on perhaps the 3rd best team of this run. I'd say he is the biggest example of a players improvement while in the the program. He is probably tracking to have an NBA career as good any Few player, although I hold out hope Sabonis will continue to improve. KO should be a lot higher, probably top 3-5, but otherwise I like the list

jazzdelmar
07-25-2018, 10:21 AM
I think the word “produced” is being taken too literally here. It’s the best to have played for MF. In that case it’s easy. Matt, DDD, Ammo, KO and the Bonus. No debate. Had Nigel stayed another year and won the Wooden, he probably edges in.

EEzag
07-25-2018, 01:07 PM
I think the word ďproducedĒ is being taken too literally here. Itís the best to have played for MF. In that case itís easy. Matt, DDD, Ammo, KO and the Bonus. No debate. Had Nigel stayed another year and won the Wooden, he probably edges in.

That's my top 5 as well. If Rui continues on his development and takes the big step forward this year as many hope.....does he supplant someone on this list?

jazzdelmar
07-25-2018, 01:14 PM
That's my top 5 as well. If Rui continues on his development and takes the big step forward this year as many hope.....does he supplant someone on this list?

If he stays 2 years, maybe. Don’t see him vaulting in only one. The leap would have to be quantum.

mgadfly
07-25-2018, 01:19 PM
If we are talking the best players ...

NWG
Stepp
AMMO
BONUS
Olynyk

And that’s my starting five as well.

gonstu
07-25-2018, 01:20 PM
Olynyk HAS to be on this list. He is top 3 easy.

Zagceo
07-25-2018, 01:24 PM
I’ve lowered my expectations a bit with Rui

he’s a man child that needs more maturing

jazzdelmar
07-25-2018, 01:51 PM
Olynyk HAS to be on this list. He is top 3 easy.

Absolutely. Him, Ammo and the Bonus are nonpareil with respect to talent, motor and attitude.

TexasZagFan
07-25-2018, 03:30 PM
I’ve lowered my expectations a bit with Rui

he’s a man child that needs more maturing

Don’t...Rui is going to be a beast this year.

raise the zag
07-26-2018, 03:59 AM
Kinda OT, kinda not:

This post got thinking...

Which four players go on Gonzaga's Mt. Rushmore?

maybe not just the best players, maybe most influential, or maybe representing each "era" of Gonzaga's history, or simply most popular, etc.

You can only choose 4.

jazzdelmar
07-26-2018, 04:12 AM
Kinda OT, kinda not:

maybe not just the best players, maybe most influential, or maybe representing each "era" of Gonzaga's history, or simply most popular, etc.

You can only choose 4.

Matt S, DD, Ammo, the Bonus.....ez, peezy.

mgadfly
07-26-2018, 04:45 AM
Kinda OT, kinda not:

You can only choose 4.

I think we already did this one (not that we can't do it again) and developed rules and such. People ended up developing rules that Mt. Zagmore required a player to be in the program all four years, etc...

For me:

Frank Burgess
John Stockton
Adam Morrison (because I don't believe in the 4-year rule)
Mark Few

bballbeachbum
07-26-2018, 06:58 AM

Shem has to be on it for me...all time wins leader, tournament resume too that shines

cjm720
07-26-2018, 07:36 AM
Stockton, Ammo, Shem...4th is tough for me. DD, Turiaf, Santangelo all in the running.

kitzbuel
07-26-2018, 07:44 AM
Shem has to be on it for me...all time wins leader, tournament resume too that shinesAgree. Shem was the face of Gonzaga's greatest triumphs to date.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Reborn
07-26-2018, 07:53 AM
This is in response to the first thread. Why create a new thread inside the original? Lazy? Go start a new thread if you want to talk about Mt Rushmore.

Top 5: Adam, Dan D, Kelly O., Bonus, and NWG. I had to put NWG ahead of Kyle Wiltjer and Robert Sacre. After all he's the one who led us to the First Final Four. Collins was good but imo not great on this team. I'd take JWIII over him. He was just a one year very talented player who came off the bench. Wilter was perhaps the star of one of the Zag teams who made it to the Elite 8. He was certainly one of our best offensive players. Sacre was just great. One of the best All-Time leaders of any Zag team. And imo the toughest. And he was drafted by LA. IMO he is right at the top of players who exemplifies what a Zag is. I think Mt K belongs in top 15 but somewhere between 11-15. Sorry. I didn't think he was as good as several low post players who went before him. In addition, I definitely believe that JWIII belongs on that list. He's in the mold of Sacre regarding toughness, but a little better offensive player.

Robzagnut
07-26-2018, 07:56 AM
Coach Few's Mt. Rushmore...

Ammo - my favorite year until the F4 year with my most devastating loss. A rock star season and I still wear my 'Can't Stop the Stache' t-shirt.

Karno - lead the team to their only F4. A must on this list due to having more NCAA wins than any other player.

Calvary - started it all off with three trips to the Sweet 16 (one E8). Tough as nails and nasty on the court. His 'Tip in' is still the most iconic play in GU history.

KO - he believed in the Zags, stuck with it and is now a model for many many transfers and redshirts that help elevate the program.

No guards from Guard U? There's so many great ones that none have really stood out from the rest.

Bogozags
07-26-2018, 09:22 AM
Kinda OT, kinda not:

You can only choose 4.

Burgess, J. Stockton, Morrison, and PK

EEzag
07-26-2018, 10:33 AM

Seems like Matty-S needs to be up there somewhere. Someone on that EE team needs to be.

basketballzag
07-26-2018, 10:35 AM
Seems like Matty-S needs to be up there somewhere. Someone on that EE team needs to be.

Rem #2 hands down.

jazzdelmar
07-26-2018, 11:10 AM
Agree. Shem was the face of Gonzaga's greatest triumphs to date.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Yea. Too bad about that last game, though.

MontanaCoyote
07-26-2018, 11:14 AM
Shemmick for Sure!

Zaglaw
07-26-2018, 11:16 AM
I think we already did this one (not that we can't do it again) and developed rules and such. People ended up developing rules that Mt. Zagmore required a player to be in the program all four years, etc...

For me:

Frank Burgess
John Stockton
Adam Morrison (because I don't believe in the 4-year rule)
Mark Few

Agree with this list.

zagsfanforlife
07-26-2018, 11:36 AM

Have to go with the all time assists leader as one of the four best ever... Agree with your other three, but KO is right up there. Matt's impact got this all started so he is in the mix too.. I would go this:

Matt, Stockton, Ammo, Sabonis/(or shem)...

jazzdelmar
07-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Have to go with the all time assists leader as one of the four best ever... Agree with your other three, but KO is right up there. Matt's impact got this all started so he is in the mix too.. I would go this:

Matt, Stockton, Ammo, Sabonis/(or shem)...

Of c Stocks is#1. Assumed we were talking 99 and post. The Bonus was the inflection point towards E8 and beyond achievement.

Once and Future Zag
07-26-2018, 06:02 PM
Kinda OT, kinda not:

You can only choose 4.

Stockton, Burgess, Santangelo, Calvary

Though I could be convinced to swap out Calvary for Mt. Kanowski.

ETA: and if we were to include women players, Sloot could displace any of them...

Malastein
07-26-2018, 06:52 PM
The whole order is screwy. I could be three sheets and put them closer to their value to the program. Of course, this stuff is pretty subjective but there are more objective measurements which couldíve been used to factor into the order.

Bogozags
07-27-2018, 05:58 AM

It maybe hard to believe but I am a college graduate and am able to read but it appears as though my ability to comprehend has been hindered to a degree. Why? Well this thread is about players Coach Few produced, so my choices were partially incorrect.

My updated choices are Matt. S., Morrison, KO and PK

I didn't select DD or DS because they were pretty well developed before arriving at GU, so Coach Few didn't have to "mold" them nearly as much as the four above...

bballbeachbum
07-27-2018, 08:56 AM
Yea. Too bad about that last game, though.

hahaha
is that why no Shem pick for you?

Zagdawg
07-27-2018, 09:37 AM
Jazz has always had a thing for Big K -- sometimes some folks cant see the forest from the trees.

jazzdelmar
07-27-2018, 11:07 AM
Jazz has always had a thing for Big K -- sometimes some folks cant see the forest from the trees.

Great kid, very good CBB player. Not even top 10 big at GU last 20 years. The over the top Karno love here is a function of his character and personality, both of which are off the chart, not his talent.

bballbeachbum
07-27-2018, 11:34 AM
Great kid, very good CBB player. Not even top 10 big at GU last 20 years. The over the top Karno love here is a function of his character and personality, both of which are off the chart, not his talent.

You're on a roll man....

Here's but one example of why I disagree: getting back to the Elite Eight, ending Few32 here on the boards, and the first time for Few to hit the EE

Gonzaga 74, UCLA 62
2015 South Regional in Seattle: With four losses in their previous four Sweet 16 appearances, the Zags had gone 16 years without a return to the Elite Eight when a group led by veteran guards Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. finally got GU back over the hump. Pangos and Bell Jr. weren’t the Zags’ difference-makers against UCLA, though. Junior Przemek Karnowski scored 18 points on only 11 attempts and grabbed nine rebounds for Gonzaga, which had traditionally been outworked on the glass in these Sweet 16 games. Not this time. There was a 50-39 disparity in rebounds and Kyle Wiltjer pulled down 10 more for GU, despite a subpar game scoring.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/mar/20/a-look-back-at-gonzagas-history-in-the-sweet-sixte/

ZagzKrak
07-27-2018, 03:25 PM

I could not disagree more. Not even Top 10 Big in the last 20 years? Some may not like his style, he wasn't an above the rim crashing dunk guy. But he was certainly the best passing out of the double team big we have had. The offense generally ran through him and you cannot argue the results with him being the player with the most wins ever by any player at any college. In my opinion the Top Big man list starts with him and KO then takes a few steps down to the next guys.

jazzdelmar
07-27-2018, 06:16 PM
I could not disagree more. Not even Top 10 Big in the last 20 years? Some may not like his style, he wasn't an above the rim crashing dunk guy. But he was certainly the best passing out of the double team big we have had. The offense generally ran through him and you cannot argue the results with him being the player with the most wins ever by any player at any college. In my opinion the Top Big man list starts with him and KO then takes a few steps down to the next guys.

Astoundingly, you are suggesting that K was a better player at GU than the Bonus, for starters, KO, Zach, Casey, Sacre, KW, Turiaf, among others?

Zagdawg
07-27-2018, 06:30 PM
Wasn't Karnowski recognized as the best college big man in the country his senior year by being awarded the Kareem Abdul Jabbar award-- that wasn't because he had a nice personality.

https://gozags.com/news/2017/4/7/Karnowski_Wins_Kareem_Abdul_Jabbar_Award.aspx

ZagzKrak
07-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Astoundingly, you are suggesting that K was a better player at GU than the Bonus, for starters, KO, Zach, Casey, Sacre, KW, Turiaf, among others?

If we are talking All Time Great Zag True Centers then yes...the results on the court speak for themselves. I think it's astounding that you wouldn't even put him in your Top 10 Bigs. But hey everyone has their own favorites so it's ok to disagree. For my money I'll take the guy who has won more games then anyone ever.

LTownZag
07-27-2018, 08:29 PM

I would LOVE to see you back that up with a list of 10 better big men at GU.

(and yes, I know you are mostly trolling and arguing as part of your M.O.)

MontanaCoyote
07-27-2018, 08:34 PM
If we are talking All Time Great Zag True Centers then yes...the results on the court speak for themselves. I think it's astounding that you wouldn't even put him in your Top 10 Bigs. But hey everyone has their own favorites so it's ok to disagree. For my money I'll take the guy who has won more games then anyone ever.

No Karno, No Final Four.