PDA

View Full Version : The Cinderella Code

Radbooks
07-23-2018, 08:33 AM
A guy named Matt Craig (no idea who he is, he has a sports blog!) is working on a six part series called The Cinderella Code. I'm finding it a fun, fascinating read and thought others might enjoy it too. There are 3 parts out right now and I'll update this post as new parts come out each Monday. Here is the intro to the series:

It's Monday. You definitely don't want to be working right now. So read this instead!

For the next six Mondays, you'll get a "chapter" of my 16,000+ word exposé of mid-major basketball. Even if you're not a college basketball fan, I think you will find the counter-intuitive conclusions interesting (and hopefully the storytelling engaging). Most importantly, it will give you a major leg up in next year's bracket challenge!

This week, I introduce you to the concepts that will govern the piece, and give you a different perspective on George Mason's "magical" Final Four run in 2006.

Part one (https://mailchi.mp/85415cdd1786/the-cinderella-code-part-1)

Part two (https://mailchi.mp/436b82d6b05b/the-cinderella-code-part-2)

Part three (https://mailchi.mp/383b528f6c9b/the-cinderella-code-part-111551)

Zagceo
07-23-2018, 09:39 AM
Thanks...good story teller

who could be Zags "Catalyst"?

JPtheBeasta
07-23-2018, 12:56 PM
Great stuff.

I like that GU is not listed as a Cinderella when they made their run :)

zagzilla
07-24-2018, 05:33 PM
"They became the first school not affiliated with a recognized power conference, a “mid-major,” to reach the Final Four since the NCAA Tournament expanded to a 64-team field in 1985.

In the 12 years following George Mason’s run, four more mid-major underdog stories were written. Butler made back-to-back appearances in the Final Four in 2010 and 2011 out of the Horizon League, joined in 2011 by Virginia Commonwealth from the very same Colonial Athletic Association. In 2013 it was Wichita State from the Missouri Valley, followed by Loyola Chicago from the same conference in 2018"

Author forgot GU 2016 which clearly fits the definition of "Mid Major" they use. WCC definitely not a power conference. We are the exception to the mid major definition these days.

Zagceo
07-24-2018, 05:57 PM
"They became the first school not affiliated with a recognized power conference, a “mid-major,” to reach the Final Four since the NCAA Tournament expanded to a 64-team field in 1985.

In the 12 years following George Mason’s run, four more mid-major underdog stories were written. Butler made back-to-back appearances in the Final Four in 2010 and 2011 out of the Horizon League, joined in 2011 by Virginia Commonwealth from the very same Colonial Athletic Association. In 2013 it was Wichita State from the Missouri Valley, followed by Loyola Chicago from the same conference in 2018"

Author forgot GU 2016 which clearly fits the definition of "Mid Major" they use. WCC definitely not a power conference. We are the exception to the mid major definition these days.

don't think a number 1 seed qualifies

seacatfan
07-24-2018, 06:39 PM
When was UNLV ever in a power conference? They made multiple Final 4's post 1985 and before George Mason's run. They didn't fit the profile of a Cinderella as they were a National powerhouse at the time, but they were in the Big West at the height of their prowess.

mgadfly
07-25-2018, 01:03 PM
When was UNLV ever in a power conference? They made multiple Final 4's post 1985 and before George Mason's run. They didn't fit the profile of a Cinderella as they were a National powerhouse at the time, but they were in the Big West at the height of their prowess.

The world stops at either the Mississippi River or the crest of the Rocky Mountains. No GU, no UNLV.

seacatfan
07-25-2018, 06:36 PM
The world stops at either the Mississippi River or the crest of the Rocky Mountains. No GU, no UNLV.

Ha ha, silly me, I forgot about that.

Somehow people from all over the country manage to find their way to Vegas for sun and fun and debauchery though...

Robzagnut
07-26-2018, 08:42 AM
Thanks...good story teller

who could be Zags "Catalyst"?

In the past:

Pendo
Mike Hart
Karno

This year it's Tillie. Didn't realize how much he was missed until he was out of the final game. He does lots of little things, his ability to stretch the floor is huge and he doesn't dominate the ball.

kitzbuel
07-26-2018, 08:51 AM
Western foothills of the Pacific Coast range.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk