PDA

View Full Version : Summer scrimmage reports and other random topics; take two

thespywhozaggedme
07-22-2018, 09:09 AM
So apparently the first thread about this topic disappeared into the ethernet so I figured we would try again. For the past several years we have had many reports from many different posters but this year nothing. Anyone have any insider scoops about what they've seen thus far? Thanks

jazzdelmar
07-22-2018, 10:06 AM
Crickets. Hereís coach Cal and my grandsons at big time HS tourney in NJ today.

cggonzaga
07-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Every player has improved dramatically since last season. Each one has gotten incredibly faster, stronger and smarter. The coaching staff has really improved their coaching skills as has every member of the program gotten better at their respective jobs. This team appears to be perfect in every shape and form! Also, I saw a unicorn fart sprinkles while flying over a double rainbow!!

Bogozags
07-22-2018, 11:50 AM
I am surprised we have had no information on any scrimmages...would love to hear how our Zags are developing...I also wonder just how many of our Zags are in town to play...

exclusivelee
07-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Every player has improved dramatically since last season. Each one has gotten incredibly faster, stronger and smarter. The coaching staff has really improved their coaching skills as has every member of the program gotten better at their respective jobs. This team appears to be perfect in every shape and form! Also, I saw a unicorn fart sprinkles while flying over a double rainbow!!That's the spirit

cggonzaga
07-22-2018, 12:53 PM
That's the spirit

;)

JPtheBeasta
07-22-2018, 01:28 PM
Every player has improved dramatically since last season. Each one has gotten incredibly faster, stronger and smarter. The coaching staff has really improved their coaching skills as has every member of the program gotten better at their respective jobs. This team appears to be perfect in every shape and form! Also, I saw a unicorn fart sprinkles while flying over a double rainbow!!

Double rainbow means it rained. Why all the doom and gloom?

cggonzaga
07-22-2018, 01:44 PM
Double rainbow means it rained. Why all the doom and gloom?

My bad.

Zagsker
07-22-2018, 04:35 PM

I am hoping Tillie is working on his....nevermind

willandi
07-22-2018, 05:34 PM
I saw a guy that I thought was too short, a real ball hog. Then I realized that he was a ball boy collecting from the shoot around!

Well, I really only saw that in my imagination 'cause I've never seen a unicorn fart!

Bogozags
07-23-2018, 02:23 AM
So now, we're making fun of "fat ballboys" have we learned nothing from our diversity training!

willandi
07-23-2018, 05:48 AM
So now, we're making fun of "fat ballboys" have we learned nothing from our diversity training!

Too short, not fat!

jazzdelmar
07-23-2018, 05:54 AM
Now, this is a thread that should be euthanized.

Bogozags
07-23-2018, 07:05 AM
Too short, not fat!

From where I'm sitting, he not only looked short and fat and I dare mention, bald too!

Jazz, it is the summer, so this is fill-in until we get some kinda legitimate reporting about the scrimmages...

willandi
07-23-2018, 08:10 AM
From where I'm sitting, he not only looked short and fat and I dare mention, bald too!

Jazz, it is the summer, so this is fill-in until we get some kinda legitimate reporting about the scrimmages...

:cheers::cheers:

HenneZag
07-23-2018, 08:47 AM
Excellent thread ��

Zagdawg
07-23-2018, 09:08 AM
Taco Tuesday is only a day away.........

Malastein
07-23-2018, 10:08 AM
This board has become very boring for summer...

cggonzaga
07-23-2018, 10:32 AM

Well there was “legitimate” reporting previously that apparently people didn’t like. This reporting came from somebody very close to the program and wasn’t from someone just watching an unsupervised scrimmage. But I guess the crowd wants what the crowd wants.

EEzag
07-23-2018, 11:22 AM
Well there was ďlegitimateĒ reporting previously that apparently people didnít like. This reporting came from somebody very close to the program and wasnít from someone just watching an unsupervised scrimmage. But I guess the crowd wants what the crowd wants.

I appreciate legitimate reporting. I appreciate it more when actual names and reasons are used in said reporting,s long as it's objective. Otherwise it's just speculation which we do plenty of already.

cggonzaga
07-23-2018, 11:43 AM
I appreciate legitimate reporting. I appreciate it more when actual names and reasons are used in said reporting,s long as it's objective. Otherwise it's just speculation which we do plenty of already.

So you disregarded the positive reviews of named players because I mentioned a negative statement about unnamed players? That’s your prerogative but I’m afraid you’re missing out on the more important equation.

jazzdelmar
07-23-2018, 11:52 AM
Well there was “legitimate” reporting previously that apparently people didn’t like. This reporting came from somebody very close to the program and wasn’t from someone just watching an unsupervised scrimmage. But I guess the crowd wants what the crowd wants.

The wisdom of crowds, a relative term.

EEzag
07-23-2018, 12:38 PM
So you disregarded the positive reviews of named players because I mentioned a negative statement about unnamed players? Thatís your prerogative but Iím afraid youíre missing out on the more important equation.

WTF are you talking about? Who said anything about disregarding positive reviews? My point is that all reviews are appreciated positive or negative. But treat them the same. If you put a name to a positive review do it for a negative one as well.

Zagceo
07-23-2018, 12:46 PM
This board throttles free dialogue.

No explanations threads just disappear.

Not ideal for contributing when so many get offended by simple basketball dialogue.

Better the team gets the tighter the reins are getting pulled IMO

ZagDad84
07-23-2018, 01:05 PM
So you disregarded the positive reviews of named players because I mentioned a negative statement about unnamed players? Thatís your prerogative but Iím afraid youíre missing out on the more important equation.

Not at all. While we would all like the names and numbers, obviously some of us understand the need for some level of privacy (ie. protect the source). IMO, the comment about a swing and miss (misses) was unnecessary. What constitutes a "miss"? A starter who does live up to someone's expectations? A non-starter who gives quality minutes off the bench who some have projected as a starter? A proverbial bench warmer? Time will tell us all who (or whom) may be living up to or exceeding expectations and those who may not be living up to "our" expectations. Very few, if any of us, have any idea on what the expectations the coaching staff have for any individual player. Only five players can play at any one time and most games only 7-9 people will play. This leaves several scholarship players riding the pine. Is it a "swing and miss" if a particular player simply cannot beat out those players who, determined by the coaching staff, are playing better than the others or who give the team a better chance to win? Is Jesse Wade a "swing and miss" because he could not crack the top 7-9 players?

To make subjective (critical) observations about players who may have little or no D1 games experience and who may not be playing simply because they are not better than our admittedly "loaded" roster seems unfairly harsh, entirely unnecessary and perhaps more than a little premature.

It is unfortunate that one minor "phrase" detracted from what was otherwise some very good information.

ZagDad

jazzdelmar
07-23-2018, 01:17 PM
I would think Jesse Wade defines a miss. A big one. There was no reason to believe he would ever be a contributor at GU and he wisely moved on. It’s a lousy part of big time CBB, any level actually. Doesn’t make Jesse a bad person, obviously.

cggonzaga
07-23-2018, 01:19 PM
WTF are you talking about? Who said anything about disregarding positive reviews? My point is that all reviews are appreciated positive or negative. But treat them the same. If you put a name to a positive review do it for a negative one as well.

I disagree but I wish I hadn’t said it at this point. My point is that all anybody seemed to care about was the negative comment. Nobody, not one person commented on the positive. That’s not strange to anybody else?

cggonzaga
07-23-2018, 01:20 PM
I would think Jesse Wade defines a miss. A big one. There was no reason to believe he would ever be a contributor at GU and he wisely moved on. It’s a lousy part of big time CBB, any level actually. Doesn’t make Jesse a bad person, obviously.

Exactly. And there have been many others over the years. It’s not like this isn’t common.

ZagaholicPodcast
07-23-2018, 01:23 PM
This board throttles free dialogue.

No explanations threads just disappear.

Not ideal for contributing when so many get offended by simple basketball dialogue.

Better the team gets the tighter the reins are getting pulled IMO

This.

cggonzaga
07-23-2018, 01:28 PM
To make subjective (critical) observations about players who may have little or no D1 games experience and who may not be playing simply because they are not better than our admittedly "loaded" roster seems unfairly harsh, entirely unnecessary and perhaps more than a little premature.

I appreciated your post. Well stated. I highlighted this portion however because again this was not a subjective observation. It came from the decision makers. Even they could be wrong however. Time will tell. Thatís why Iím not naming the players because it really does nobody any good. If I had it to do over I would not have mentioned it. It was truly an innocent comment.

EEzag
07-23-2018, 01:29 PM
I disagree but I wish I hadnít said it at this point. My point is that all anybody seemed to care about was the negative comment. Nobody, not one person commented on the positive. Thatís not strange to anybody else?

Understood. From a coaching perspective Iím just used to being candid about players abilities and shortcomings. Although we should be able to discuss all aspect of players performance, I do see your point and for the record I do appreciate the news you deliver to this forum.

willandi
07-23-2018, 01:40 PM
I come to this forum, often several times a day, waiting for news of the Next Euro that Tommy has discovered.

When news is short, it is easy to be disgruntled...but I do try to stay gruntled, believe it or not.

I would rather read almost anything positive, even if I don't comment, than negative. The players play in summer scrimmage really doesn't matter. As has been said, some play hard and some don't. It is not a time for giving it your all, it is a time to do something you enjoy, and sometimes it is a time to regain some confidence.

Sometimes it is just for fun.

ZagDad84
07-23-2018, 01:40 PM

For an alternative view, you could have put David Stockton in that same boat at the same time in his career and he has ended up in the NBA.

Jesse left because he saw the writing on the wall that with this Zag team, it would be unlikely he would see the court in anything other than mop up duty. Had Mr. Stockton walked-on this fall, he likely would have found the same situation.

Hence, why, for me personally, I find the term "miss" an inaccurate representation. If a player is not given a chance to develop to their full potential because they cannot crack the top 7-9 players resulting in little to no PT, IMO we have not fully developed the young man to a point we can give an honest evaluation. If you place every scholarship player who does not crack that top 7-9 roster a miss, then there will be, what, 4-6 "misses" every year? Sure plays hell with your bench depth and team replacement players.

Just another point of view.

ZagDad

sittingon50
07-23-2018, 01:54 PM
gruntled

will, you should trademark that! IN A HURRY!!!

Hogan
07-23-2018, 02:05 PM
I'll just briefly respond to CG's concern that people just responded to the "negative " comments in his post. I very much appreciated him sharing his info with us, particularly during the dog days of little information coming in regarding our Zags. I also thought his restraint in not naming the player(s) who have underwhelmed so far was appropriate and well-intentioned. The positive comments, regarding Norvell and Clarke, while exciting, was not really new information. ( But appreciated nonetheless as further confirmation.) The mildly negative comments, on the other hand, was entirely new, and thus allowed those of us who have no life other than the Zags to run amuck.

ZagzKrak
07-23-2018, 02:16 PM
For me...I don't believe the staff would call someone a miss that hasn't played a second of D1 ball yet...so that takes care of FP and Foster. JA hasn't played a minute yet but I wouldn't think it was him since I recall Few saying after several games last year that they could have used his defense. Clearly it's none of the returning starters..so that takes care of JP, Rui, ZN, KT. I'm also pretty sure it's not BC..he has put up good numbers in D1 already and was reportedly one of the best players in practice last year. CK got plenty of minutes last year and was a stud at times so I feel pretty good at crossing his name off.

So unless I'm forgetting someone that only leaves 2 players.

Larson...I thought he looked good in the minutes he had....lots of people on this board were vocal in wanting to see more of him. It certainly seemed like he may have tweeked his knee again...does a player who is having a hard time overcoming an injury considered a miss?

Jones....A walk on who earned a schollie. He was pretty good on defense and got a few minutes last year. I have a hard time believing a staffer would call him a miss.

I think for all the reasons above that the Miss statement got attention. We all want to know who they are talking about and who said it. We are here because we are huge Zag fans so something like that stands out. As far as the positive reviews...I think we all expect our Zags to be great players...we all drink the Kool-aid often and early...so saying a couple players are showing well does not come as any surprise.

thespywhozaggedme
07-23-2018, 03:29 PM
For me...I don't believe the staff would call someone a miss that hasn't played a second of D1 ball yet...so that takes care of FP and Foster. JA hasn't played a minute yet but I wouldn't think it was him since I recall Few saying after several games last year that they could have used his defense. Clearly it's none of the returning starters..so that takes care of JP, Rui, ZN, KT. I'm also pretty sure it's not BC..he has put up good numbers in D1 already and was reportedly one of the best players in practice last year. CK got plenty of minutes last year and was a stud at times so I feel pretty good at crossing his name off.

So unless I'm forgetting someone that only leaves 2 players.

Larson...I thought he looked good in the minutes he had....lots of people on this board were vocal in wanting to see more of him. It certainly seemed like he may have tweeked his knee again...does a player who is having a hard time overcoming an injury considered a miss?

Jones....A walk on who earned a schollie. He was pretty good on defense and got a few minutes last year. I have a hard time believing a staffer would call him a miss.

I think for all the reasons above that the Miss statement got attention. We all want to know who they are talking about and who said it. We are here because we are huge Zag fans so something like that stands out. As far as the positive reviews...I think we all expect our Zags to be great players...we all drink the Kool-aid often and early...so saying a couple players are showing well does not come as any surprise.

It wasn't a staff member

ZagzKrak
07-23-2018, 03:38 PM
It came from the decision makers.

I would think the only decision makers would be on the staff.

Bogozags
07-23-2018, 03:59 PM
Not at all. While we would all like the names and numbers, obviously some of us understand the need for some level of privacy (ie. protect the source). IMO, the comment about a swing and miss (misses) was unnecessary. What constitutes a "miss"? A starter who does live up to someone's expectations? A non-starter who gives quality minutes off the bench who some have projected as a starter? A proverbial bench warmer? Time will tell us all who (or whom) may be living up to or exceeding expectations and those who may not be living up to "our" expectations. Very few, if any of us, have any idea on what the expectations the coaching staff have for any individual player. Only five players can play at any one time and most games only 7-9 people will play. This leaves several scholarship players riding the pine. Is it a "swing and miss" if a particular player simply cannot beat out those players who, determined by the coaching staff, are playing better than the others or who give the team a better chance to win? Is Jesse Wade a "swing and miss" because he could not crack the top 7-9 players?

It is unfortunate that one minor "phrase" detracted from what was otherwise some very good information.

ZagDad

Well said!

We all believe that GU is like a family...we have all said it and thought it maybe we out to remember that...especially when none of us are on Coach Few's staff so we do not have the knowledge or understanding of what goes on with our team...can't wait until the season starts to applaud the players...

GO ZAGS

cggonzaga
07-23-2018, 04:14 PM
I would think the only decision makers would be on the staff.

Agreed.

thespywhozaggedme
07-23-2018, 04:55 PM
Agreed.

So you're saying that someone on the staff said that a current member of the team was a recruiting "swing and a miss"?

Malastein
07-23-2018, 05:06 PM
It’s sad to see the board in such a state with very little info out there...

jazzdelmar
07-23-2018, 05:26 PM
So you're saying that someone on the staff said that a current member of the team was a recruiting "swing and a miss"?

Yes, that’s what the man has been saying for a week.

thespywhozaggedme
07-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Yes, that’s what the man has been saying for a week.

I don't recall him specifically saying that it was a member of the current staff referring to a member of the current team. If true, that's honestly pretty shocking

Zagdawg
07-23-2018, 06:20 PM
Don't see the staff saying that about their own players.

thespywhozaggedme
07-23-2018, 06:42 PM
Don't see the staff saying that about their own players.

Agree 100%. That's why I used the word "shocking" because that really would be.

jazzdelmar
07-23-2018, 06:48 PM
Agree 100%. That's why I used the word "shocking" because that really would be.

Geez, can you be any more dramatic. It obviously was not said for publication. Duh. It was in private, entre nous, that type of thing. How the source came by the statement is irrelevant. You think coach A doesn’t speak frankly to coach B about a player’s performance?

Zagceo
07-23-2018, 07:00 PM
discussions about player development among staff and insiders is not "shocking" IMO

West Side Lady
07-23-2018, 07:58 PM
It’s sad to see the board in such a state with very little info out there...
Yep. All because of 4 words.

ZagaholicPodcast
07-23-2018, 08:25 PM
For an alternative view, you could have put David Stockton in that same boat at the same time in his career and he has ended up in the NBA.

Jesse left because he saw the writing on the wall that with this Zag team, it would be unlikely he would see the court in anything other than mop up duty. Had Mr. Stockton walked-on this fall, he likely would have found the same situation.

Hence, why, for me personally, I find the term "miss" an inaccurate representation. If a player is not given a chance to develop to their full potential because they cannot crack the top 7-9 players resulting in little to no PT, IMO we have not fully developed the young man to a point we can give an honest evaluation. If you place every scholarship player who does not crack that top 7-9 roster a miss, then there will be, what, 4-6 "misses" every year? Sure plays hell with your bench depth and team replacement players.

Just another point of view.

ZagDad

I think it's a "miss" if the player can't become what was intended. He didn't have the chance because the type and quality of player hit warp speed during the space between him committing and coming to campus. In *that* sense, I agree that it is not a miss, because those variables were not introduced when they recruited him. If they it was going to be like that, he wouldn't have gotten an offer, or been told that he was going to get any significant opportunities. And he would have ended up at the Y. But if you recruit a player to be a starter, and there is no significant shift in talent before he gets to campus...and he has to transfer because he can't crack the lineup? Barring injury, it's a miss.

MDABE80
07-23-2018, 08:43 PM
Are there any more scrimmages going on this or
Next week.
I lost track of the schedule .

willandi
07-23-2018, 09:28 PM
I think it's a "miss" if the player can't become what was intended. He didn't have the chance because the type and quality of player hit warp speed during the space between him committing and coming to campus. In *that* sense, I agree that it is not a miss, because those variables were not introduced when they recruited him. If they it was going to be like that, he wouldn't have gotten an offer, or been told that he was going to get any significant opportunities. And he would have ended up at the Y. But if you recruit a player to be a starter, and there is no significant shift in talent before he gets to campus...and he has to transfer because he can't crack the lineup? Barring injury, it's a miss.

There have been a few, the Mathis', maybe Gibbs, Bol Kong, and a few others. They often went to other schools and had a good NCAA career, or went Euro pro.

Still, every one got a chance. None were a miss without ever playing in a game. Those that were injured had the injury considered and allowed for.

I won't consider any a miss. Just ones that weren't quite right for the moment.

thespywhozaggedme
07-24-2018, 05:52 AM
There have been a few, the Mathis', maybe Gibbs, Bol Kong, and a few others. They often went to other schools and had a good NCAA career, or went Euro pro.

Still, every one got a chance. None were a miss without ever playing in a game. Those that were injured had the injury considered and allowed for.

I won't consider any a miss. Just ones that weren't quite right for the moment.

Keegan Hyland

jazzdelmar
07-24-2018, 06:28 AM
Vilarino a major whiff. Those were dreary times.

Zagceo
07-24-2018, 08:11 AM
Keegan Hyland

injury bug

https://www.pressherald.com/2014/12/27/keegan-hyland-is-back-on-a-basketball-high/

bartruff1
07-24-2018, 08:27 AM
I suspect the coaches don't recruit players they expect to play only after the game is decided...

thespywhozaggedme
07-24-2018, 09:06 AM
injury bug

https://www.pressherald.com/2014/12/27/keegan-hyland-is-back-on-a-basketball-high/

Glad to see that he wound up having a pretty productive college career.

Bogozags
07-24-2018, 10:25 AM
Are there any more scrimmages going on this or
Next week.
I lost track of the schedule .

Why is it there has been NO reports of scrimmages at all?

VaBeachZAG
07-24-2018, 10:47 AM

Exactly! A lot of prattle unrelated to this threads subject heading, but nothing about scrimmage reports!!

Bogozags
07-24-2018, 11:21 AM
Exactly! A lot of prattle unrelated to this threads subject heading, but nothing about scrimmage reports!!

In past years there would be tons of posts about scrimmages...someone must know something! Maybe, they are closed to the Zag Public???

Zags_Fanatic
07-24-2018, 11:43 AM

I'm usually responsible for about half of them every summer but this year my schedule just didn't work out to be there. Out of town for 2 of the camps and then sick last week. Just a fluke this season, I hope. Wish I could have been there to provide some info.

HenneZag
07-24-2018, 11:52 AM
When is the next camp? I will go observe and get the best report I can..

MDABE80
07-24-2018, 12:04 PM
The reason I asked the question was that I'd be going over if I know when the scrimmages occur. Someone (usually ZN) posts the info.

Bogozags
07-24-2018, 12:31 PM
I'm usually responsible for about half of them every summer but this year my schedule just didn't work out to be there. Out of town for 2 of the camps and then sick last week. Just a fluke this season, I hope. Wish I could have been there to provide some info.

No worries...just get better so that you can fully enjoy the season!!!

zagfan24
07-24-2018, 12:50 PM
While summer reports are always fun and often helpful (and I would love to see them too), the reality is that with this year's group, more than any in recent memory, we know what we are going to get. Tillie, Rui, Perkins, Norvell, and Kispert are mostly known quantities. I don't think anything we see during the summer would change their general outlook for the season. It's pretty likely that Rui and Zach take another big step forward. Hopefully good health will allow Josh, Killian, and Corey to play to their potential.

Brandon Clarke and Geno Crandall are relative unknowns to most Zag fans, but there is enough college tape to know what kind of players the Zags are getting. That's most likely the top 7 guys that will see the lion's share of the minutes. Jones, Larsen, Petrusev, and Ayayi may get spot minutes, and obviously the latter 2 are the relative unknowns at this point. Anything those guys provide will essentially be gravy/injury insurance, as if the Zags can stay healthy, the aforementioned magnificent 7 will be the group that is leaned on. Petrusev I may be wrong about, but time will tell.

maynard g krebs
07-24-2018, 12:58 PM
Somewhere along the line in skimming over the last 40 or so posts, I expected to see a response from George Costanza or Cosmo Kramer. Because it's essentially become a thread about nothing.

ZagDad84
07-24-2018, 01:02 PM
Somewhere along the line in skimming over the last 40 or so posts, I expected to see a response from George Costanza or Cosmo Kramer. Because it's essentially become a thread about nothing.

And thank you for your contribution.

ZagDad

Zagceo
07-24-2018, 01:05 PM

ZagDad

and Thank You for your contribution

maynard g krebs
07-24-2018, 01:07 PM

ZagDad

I try to be of service in these troubling times.

jazzdelmar
07-24-2018, 01:12 PM
I try to be of service in these troubling times.

You can not, not be of service.

GoZags
07-24-2018, 01:12 PM
I started to look for previous years' Summer Scrimmage reports so I could link them as a stop gap ... but got distracted before I found any, so we don't even have that.

That being said ... ZF24 in Post #65 pretty much sums it up .... so we've got that going for us, which is nice.

RenoZag
07-24-2018, 01:33 PM
Numerica Kraziness in the Kennel will be October 6th. . .74 days to go. . .enjoy the rest of your summer.

jazzdelmar
07-24-2018, 01:54 PM
Dear Fosdicks, be careful what you look for.

DixieZag
07-24-2018, 01:55 PM
Some way, somehow, we have to make it 38 more days, just 38 more days:

Saturday September 1st, 2018

Notre Dame v. Michigan
Auburn v. Washington

The start of college football (not so much an NFL fan but Geaux Saints!) greases the wheels toward the season. THIS is the period of the year when it just dragsssssss.

Bogozags
07-24-2018, 01:57 PM
While summer reports are always fun and often helpful (and I would love to see them too), the reality is that with this year's group, more than any in recent memory, we know what we are going to get. Tillie, Rui, Perkins, Norvell, and Kispert are mostly known quantities. I don't think anything we see during the summer would change their general outlook for the season. It's pretty likely that Rui and Zach take another big step forward. Hopefully good health will allow Josh, Killian, and Corey to play to their potential.

Brandon Clarke and Geno Crandall are relative unknowns to most Zag fans, but there is enough college tape to know what kind of players the Zags are getting. That's most likely the top 7 guys that will see the lion's share of the minutes. Jones, Larsen, Petrusev, and Ayayi may get spot minutes, and obviously the latter 2 are the relative unknowns at this point. Anything those guys provide will essentially be gravy/injury insurance, as if the Zags can stay healthy, the aforementioned magnificent 7 will be the group that is leaned on. Petrusev I may be wrong about, but time will tell.

I agree we have several unknowns and some that we have some information and we will find out within the next 70-80 days...

IMO I think 8-9 players will see quality minutes this preseason and if they work out, then we could go that deep...Coach Few will want to know how Ayayi plays against competition and both Larsen and Petrusev will need minutes as well. I am hoping that Larsen will be healthy and defensively improved...I think his offence is pretty solid just need to see if his feet move better when defending...IMO of course

Bogozags
07-24-2018, 01:58 PM

Notre Dame v. Michigan
Auburn v. Washington

The start of college football (not so much an NFL fan but Geaux Saints!) greases the wheels toward the season. THIS is the period of the year when it just dragsssssss.

Always root against SEC and root for UM, BSU, UDub and PSU

LouisianaZag
07-24-2018, 04:11 PM

I have been wondering the same thing. It seemed in past YEARS WE ALWAYS HAD SOMEONE looking in and reporting.

MDABE80
07-24-2018, 05:08 PM
Well if we know when they are, we might get some attendance and some reports.

cggonzaga
07-24-2018, 05:30 PM
I agree we have several unknowns and some that we have some information and we will find out within the next 70-80 days...

IMO I think 8-9 players will see quality minutes this preseason and if they work out, then we could go that deep...Coach Few will want to know how Ayayi plays against competition and both Larsen and Petrusev will need minutes as well. I am hoping that Larsen will be healthy and defensively improved...I think his offence is pretty solid just need to see if his feet move better when defending...IMO of course

Perkins
Crandall
Norvell
Rui
Tillie
Clarke
Kispert
Larsen
Jones
Ayayi

Iíd say 9 or 10. Petrusev and Clarke are very likely to redshirt imo.

MDABE80
07-24-2018, 05:33 PM
cqq Clarke redshirt?? Seriously??

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-24-2018, 05:35 PM
cqq Clarke redshirt?? Seriously??

He’s thinking of Foster.

MDABE80
07-24-2018, 05:48 PM
---------------O--------------Oh

thespywhozaggedme
07-24-2018, 07:12 PM

Notre Dame v. Michigan
Auburn v. Washington

The season actually starts a week before that. Every year ESPN lies about the start of the college football season and they get away with it and I don't understand the point.

thespywhozaggedme
07-24-2018, 07:14 PM
Perkins
Crandall
Norvell
Rui
Tillie
Clarke
Kispert
Larsen
Jones
Ayayi

Iíd say 9 or 10. Petrusev and Clarke are very likely to redshirt imo.

Ha, so I was right! you were talking about Petrusev in you're now famous post that got everyone up in arms. My deductive skills are pretty good. By the way I think you meant to say Foster instead of Clarke.

JPtheBeasta
07-24-2018, 07:51 PM
Is a redshirt the same as a swing and a miss now?

thespywhozaggedme
07-24-2018, 08:21 PM
Is a redshirt the same as a swing and a miss now?

Go back and look at all of the threads for the past several months, some people were even projecting him to be a starter or at least the first big off the bench. Now somebody with insider access is projecting him to red shirt one week after cryptically posting about staff members referring about a certain recruit as a "swing and a miss" and connect the dots.

ZagzKrak
07-24-2018, 08:55 PM
Go back and look at all of the threads for the past several months, some people were even projecting him to be a starter or at least the first big off the bench. Now somebody with insider access is projecting him to red shirt one week after cryptically posting about staff members referring about a certain recruit as a "swing and a miss" and connect the dots.

I would be shocked if it was him or Foster considering the staff hasn't even had a chance to coach them yet.

thespywhozaggedme
07-24-2018, 09:06 PM
I would be shocked if it was him or Foster considering the staff hasn't even had a chance to coach them yet.

Look at cgg's depth chart and then think about what he posted last week regarding a staff member saying that there was a recruiting "swing and miss" and then think back several months ago when many posters thought that he was going to possibly even start or at least be the first pick off of the bench.

cggonzaga
07-24-2018, 09:08 PM
I was not referring to either of the incoming freshmen. I’ve been saying for months I thought Petrusev would redshirt.

Also, the depth chart was nothing more than a guess as well as who will redshirt.

NotoriousZ
07-24-2018, 09:27 PM
I started to look for previous years' Summer Scrimmage reports so I could link them as a stop gap ... but got distracted before I found any, so we don't even have that.

That being said ... ZF24 in Post #65 pretty much sums it up .... so we've got that going for us, which is nice.
Itís funny how Caddy Shack quotes can be worked into pretty much any conversation.

But back on topic, when are the next camps/scrimmages going to occur? Anyone? Bueller?

ZagaholicPodcast
07-25-2018, 06:03 AM
Look at cgg's depth chart and then think about what he posted last week regarding a staff member saying that there was a recruiting "swing and miss" and then think back several months ago when many posters thought that he was going to possibly even start or at least be the first pick off of the bench.

It's Larsen.

willandi
07-25-2018, 06:11 AM
It's Larsen.

Looking at the players with schollies, he might be the only one, but the Larsen that played against 'Nova certainly was not a miss, and then he got hurt and didn't fully recover last year.

I refuse to believe that anybody currently on the coaching staff would believe that a player that suffered a knee injury and had their play drop off would call that player a miss. If they would, they should not be one the staff.

I expect Larsen to be a good post player for the Zags. He may not get the chance to be great because college ball seems to be trending to the NBA model. The Zags will play Tillie, Clarke and Rui as the front line, slightly smaller but more athletic bigs than Karno, Sacre and Turiaf,

thespywhozaggedme
07-25-2018, 06:18 AM
I was not referring to either of the incoming freshmen. I’ve been saying for months I thought Petrusev would redshirt.

Also, the depth chart was nothing more than a guess as well as who will redshirt.

Ok, my bad then.

thespywhozaggedme
07-25-2018, 06:21 AM
It's Larsen.

cgg had Larsen as the 2nd big off of the bench, plus how can he be a recruiting "swing and a miss" when he's already proven that he can play against D1 competition, i.e. 14/8 vs IW, 10/5 vs Villanova, etc?

jazzdelmar
07-25-2018, 06:43 AM
I'm guessing it's Ayayi.

exclusivelee
07-25-2018, 06:50 AM
We all know it was Wade

JPtheBeasta
07-25-2018, 07:26 AM
We all know it was Wade

That would be the most palatable option.

thespywhozaggedme
07-25-2018, 07:30 AM
We all know it was Wade

but cgg was talking about this summers scrimmages. How would Wade apply to that criteria?

Zagceo
07-25-2018, 08:11 AM
I'm guessing it's Ayayi.

unless somethings changed...JA is in Europe training for U18

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2018/6/6/17435534/france-euro-u18-training-camp-roster-u18

jazzdelmar
07-25-2018, 08:33 AM
but cgg was talking about this summers scrimmages. How would Wade apply to that criteria?

Indeed, Wade is baked in the cake.

jazzdelmar
07-25-2018, 08:34 AM
unless somethings changed...JA is in Europe training for U18

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2018/6/6/17435534/france-euro-u18-training-camp-roster-u18

I guess we'll know more if he makes the cut.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-25-2018, 08:48 AM
I'm guessing it's Ayayi.

I hope not. This squad thin on ball handlers/distributors if Ayayi canít provide quality depth behind Perkins and Crandall.

Zagdawg
07-25-2018, 08:56 AM
Dates for the French Euro U18 camp

Internship in Voiron from June 26 to July 5, 2018

Tournament of Voiron from July 6 to 8, 2018
Friday, July 6 at 8 pm: France - Belgium
Saturday, July 7 at 8 pm: France - Ukraine
Sunday, July 8 at 5 pm: France - Croatia

Internship in Voiron from 9 to 10 July 2018

Internship in Serbia from July 11 to 14, 2018

European Championship at Ventspils, Liepaja and Riga (Latvia) from 28 July to 5 August 2018
Saturday 28 July at 19:45: Russia - France
Sunday 29 July at 15:15: France - Turkey
Tuesday 31 July at 19:45: France - Germany
Wednesday 1 August : Round of 16
Friday 3 August: Quarter-Finals
Saturday 4 August: Semi-Finals
Sunday 5 August: Final

thespywhozaggedme
07-25-2018, 08:57 AM
I hope not. This squad thin on ball handlers/distributors if Ayayi can’t provide quality depth behind Perkins and Crandall.

Norvell is a very good passer and has great vision, if pressed into duty. if Silas could play spot minutes at pg then ZN would be fine.

amaronizag
07-25-2018, 09:08 AM
Paul Silas?

thespywhozaggedme
07-25-2018, 09:09 AM
Paul Silas?

Paul Silas Melson

amaronizag
07-25-2018, 09:11 AM
I thought that's what you meant, just joking around Spy. I also wish we still had Silas for another year.

ZagsObserver
07-25-2018, 09:32 AM
If y’all are ever wondering where Few thinks the team is weakest and/or thinnest, you only need to look at the position(s) he targets for grad transfers, particularly those who are immediately eligible. No mystery there.

tinfoilzag
07-25-2018, 09:36 AM
Olynyk was another freshman swing-and-a-miss.

jazzdelmar
07-25-2018, 09:41 AM

Not for me. I said he had the highest nba potential as a freshman on a very talented team.

tinfoilzag
07-25-2018, 09:52 AM
Not for me. I said he had the highest nba potential as a freshman on a very talented team.

He did so well as a freshman he red-shirted the next year. I may be recalling peoples' opinion of KO after his first year incorrectly but I seem to remember comments that he was awkward, not strong enough, and slow footed.

Kelly's future at GU was in question by some. You could call that a swing-and-a-miss even if you saw at the time the $50 million NBA player he would become.

Bogozags
07-25-2018, 10:00 AM
Paul Silas?

One of the best all-time offensive rebounders of all time...maybe he has a grandson that might be interested in playing, if he isn't to old now...lol

I thought that KO red shirted after his 2nd year and then went into the draft his fourth year...am I wrong?

thespywhozaggedme
07-25-2018, 10:01 AM
I thought that's what you meant, just joking around Spy. I also wish we still had Silas for another year.

Always up for some laughter

cggonzaga
07-25-2018, 10:34 AM

Man you really donít read posts do you? Specifically said comments didnít come from scrimmages.

GuZag2012
07-25-2018, 10:40 AM
One of the best all-time offensive rebounders of all time...maybe he has a grandson that might be interested in playing, if he isn't to old now...lol

I thought that KO red shirted after his 2nd year and then went into the draft his fourth year...am I wrong?

You are correct Olynyk was a redshirt junior his last year at GU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thespywhozaggedme
07-25-2018, 10:51 AM
Man you really don’t read posts do you? Specifically said comments didn’t come from scrimmages.

Were you not talking about summer workouts, practices and scrimmages?

DixieZag
07-25-2018, 11:36 AM

Me, neither. I recall him being forced into duty AT Michigan State and fighting with the heart of a lion, not backing down to anyone. Didn't have the tools physically at the time, but he had all the heart and drive, wasn't scared.

raise the zag
07-25-2018, 11:46 AM
After replaying our FSU-GU Sweet 16 matchup for the first time...must say, what an awful gameplan by our Coaches for that style of game.

We actually tried to run, match tempo, and muck it up with the 2nd best transition team in the Nation last year. Not to mention the 2nd deepest.

The handful of times we didn't awkwardly force transition or out temp their ridiculous length/athleticism, we did pretty darn well out executing or out skilling them.

Tillie would have helped of course, but doubt the outcome woulda been any different given the impossible task of running with them. We looked like we were trying to put a square peg in a round hole all game. Trying to out run FSU's legit 11 man lineup wasn't our finest hour. We all make mistakes.

Oops...my apologies, wrong thread, heck, wrong month.

On to next season!

Zagceo
07-25-2018, 12:29 PM
What are the chances a school could put together grad transfer class of 5 starters?

Impossible..probably.. but could be fun once

former1dog
07-25-2018, 01:59 PM
Man you really donít read posts do you? Specifically said comments didnít come from scrimmages.

Frankly, you're either full of it OR you can't be trusted to keep confidential information confidential.

I think its the former.

cggonzaga
07-25-2018, 03:57 PM
Were you not talking about summer workouts, practices and scrimmages?

I think coaches could care less about unsupervised scrimmages.

cggonzaga
07-25-2018, 03:59 PM
Frankly, you're either full of it OR you can't be trusted to keep confidential information confidential.

I think its the former.

Sorry you feel that way. You certainly can believe whatever you want.

jazzdelmar
07-25-2018, 04:03 PM

I think its the former.

You’re way off base, Doggie. Be nice.

thespywhozaggedme
07-25-2018, 04:54 PM

So then you were talking about summer workouts.

cjm720
07-25-2018, 05:01 PM

No way. First off the bench freshman season.

Vanzagger
07-25-2018, 05:36 PM
He just needed minutes. Few admitted KO was toarching starters everyday in practice

GlacierZag
07-25-2018, 05:43 PM
This thread is a gigantic swing and a miss.

Until there's an actual scrimmage report.

bigblahla
07-25-2018, 05:50 PM

+1000.... excruciating drivel at best....but it is the dog days....

Go!! Zags!!!

ZagaholicPodcast
07-25-2018, 06:09 PM

Wasn't it destined for that, given the lack of information? Aren't you just contributing to it by stating the obvious?

Zagdawg
07-25-2018, 08:03 PM
July 26 - 29 Advanced Skills Camp Open to boys entering grades 3rd-12th
Gonzaga Advanced Skills Camp is completely SOLD OUT and no longer taking names for the wait list.

Aug 3 - 5

Fundamental Skills Camp

Open to boys and girls entering grades 1st-7th

Bogozags
07-26-2018, 04:44 AM

I agree but if and when they do watch, they are able to ascertain areas of their game requiring attention, which they can address at formal practices. Being a pretty fair distance from GU, I would also assume they speak with the new players sharing what they observe with them...there is always a "teachable moment" and the best time is always the present - unless there is video...IMHO...:o

jbslicer
07-26-2018, 06:25 AM
Vilarino a major whiff. Those were dreary times.

Andy Poling has a huge whiff.

thespywhozaggedme
07-26-2018, 06:44 AM
Andy Poling has a huge whiff.

he actually had celiac disease and it went undiagnosed for quite some time which caused him to lose a ton of weight (as someone with sever gluten issues, it is awful if you aren't diagnosed). Once diagnosed he went on to have a pretty good career at SPU I believe.

tinfoilzag
07-26-2018, 08:13 AM
No way. First off the bench freshman season.

So was Collins.

Context like, the level of the program, the current players, the position played, even current health (maybe someone had the flu) all matter when judging a player based on pre-season scrimmages.

The point I was trying to make about throwing Olynyk's name in there is that we don't know yet about where a player's development will end up. We could be seeing another Olynyk or another Kong. Just because we could have either doesn't mean we shouldn't have someone's opinion on it.

The bigger problem is that people have become too polarized; there is no room for nuance. Critiquing a kid who doesn't look good apparently means you hate him and are just trying to trash him instead of giving an honest evaluation. This cools all observations and conversation as no one wants to be seen as attacking a kid on a team they love.

This is why we can't have nice things like information on summer scrimmages.

ZagaholicPodcast
07-26-2018, 09:24 AM
So was Collins.

Context like, the level of the program, the current players, the position played, even current health (maybe someone had the flu) all matter when judging a player based on pre-season scrimmages.

The point I was trying to make about throwing Olynyk's name in there is that we don't know yet about where a player's development will end up. We could be seeing another Olynyk or another Kong. Just because we could have either doesn't mean we shouldn't have someone's opinion on it.

The bigger problem is that people have become too polarized; there is no room for nuance. Critiquing a kid who doesn't look good apparently means you hate him and are just trying to trash him instead of giving an honest evaluation. This cools all observations and conversation as no one wants to be seen as attacking a kid on a team they love.

This.

willandi
07-26-2018, 09:24 AM
So was Collins.

I have no problem with critiquing, but you also have to talk to him and ask if he is trying hard or just having fun, if he has a health issue that he is recovering from, if there is a single specific area that he is working on etc.

Just critiquing without knowing the full story comes across as negativity rather than honest critique.

MDABE80
07-26-2018, 09:44 AM
So then you were talking about summer workouts.

At one
Time we were but those days and that topic both are
long gone.

thespywhozaggedme
07-27-2018, 09:56 AM
So apparently there were real scrimmages last night. Any real insider report? Thanks

Zagceo
07-27-2018, 10:06 AM
So apparently there were real scrimmages last night. Any real insider report? Thanks

define real?

sittingon50
07-27-2018, 10:13 AM
define real?

I think he means pre-medicated.:drool:

MDABE80
07-27-2018, 11:17 AM

Who says???

thespywhozaggedme
07-27-2018, 11:20 AM
Who says???

Hasn't there always been scrimmages immediately following camp? Camp started yesterday.

raise the zag
07-27-2018, 11:43 AM

If no one saw it, did it happen?

'Real' is subjective, maybe just maybe it was imagined...these scrimmages could be in our head and their existence is all a fabrication of what we believe to be real or imagined...

Is this even real?

Mantua
07-27-2018, 12:06 PM

'Real' is subjective, maybe just maybe it was imagined...these scrimmages could be in our head and their existence is all a fabrication of what we believe to be real or imagined...

Is this even real?

Imagine this board in the doghouse.

JPtheBeasta
07-27-2018, 01:25 PM

Is this even real?

Renť Descartes had some things to say on that subject. I can doubt everything except the fact that I’m doubting, which means I at least exist. I can’t same the same for you though, if I’m just a brain in a vat somewhere... :)

If we all exist we’re all 99.9999 percent empty space, which explains a lot of these threads lately.

MDABE80
07-27-2018, 01:54 PM
Hasn't there always been scrimmages immediately following camp? Camp started yesterday.

Not always. But who says there was a scrimmage? Did anyone actually go see ??

thespywhozaggedme
07-27-2018, 02:56 PM
Not always. But who says there was a scrimmage? Did anyone actually go see ??

Not always? I thought that after camps the team scrimmaged at night. You're saying that is not the case? Because there was a camp yesterday, and tonight too I believe.

MDABE80
07-27-2018, 10:32 PM
Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

MontanaCoyote
07-28-2018, 05:16 AM
Recent comments confirm that basketball season can’t start soon enough.

Bogozags
07-28-2018, 05:26 AM
First Scrimmage Report

It was really something last night as they put on a dunking contest…

Snacks took of just on the other side of the FT line and dunked and then Rui, not to be out done, took off two feet behind the FT line and slammed with two hands…INCREDIBLE!!!

The guards put on a 3PT shooting contest and Josh won, making 20 of 25 shots…he is absolutely ready. Clarke even showed some improvement from behind the arc and he will be a force on the boards too! Looks to be three feet wide by seven feet tall…a big guy to say the least…

Everyone ran well, making excellent passes and played so-so defence BUT they all had fun…

So how's that for a first scrimmage report!

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 05:35 AM
First Scrimmage Report

Snacks took of just on the other side of the FT line and dunked and then Rui, not to be out done, took off two feet behind the FT line and slammed with two hands…INCREDIBLE!!!

The guards put on a 3PT shooting contest and Josh won, making 20 of 25 shots…he is absolutely ready. Clarke even showed some improvement from behind the arc and he will be a force on the boards too! Looks to be three feet wide by seven feet tall…a big guy to say the least…

Everyone ran well, making excellent passes and played so-so defence BUT they all had fun…

Man, I almost thought that this was a real post and got excited. You got me.

Bogozags
07-28-2018, 06:16 AM
Man, I almost thought that this was a real post and got excited. You got me.

Well I thought at least it might spark someone's interest in attending...

raise the zag
07-28-2018, 06:19 AM
Well I thought at least it might spark someone's interest in attending...

It all sounded realistic and legit, save the Perkins snippet.

Still not cleared to play.

Out of the sling, physical therapy, resistance training, just started doing full stretches again.

Still has a few months to go...

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2018, 06:40 AM

Out of the sling, physical therapy, resistance training, just started doing full stretches again.

Uh....this part sounded realistic and legit to you?: Clarke even showed some improvement from behind the arc and he will be a force on the boards too! Looks to be three feet wide by seven feet tall…a big guy to say the least… lol

zaguarxj
07-28-2018, 09:10 AM
First Scrimmage Report

And then we wonder why nobody with any real information is hanging around any more. Sigh...

Bogozags
07-28-2018, 05:49 PM
And then we wonder why nobody with any real information is hanging around any more. Sigh...

FYI - You do know that there has not been ANY information at all, let alone "real" information on both of these threads...please accept my apology if you felt my post offended you!

MileHigh
07-29-2018, 05:25 AM

He has been out of the sling for about 6 weeks. Can now do weight training that doesn't put pressure on the shoulder joint. Basketball wise, his only limitations at this point of the rehab is any type of contact (or potential contact) and long range shooting. He is shooting comfortably out to 15 feet and they are gradually moving him further out as the shoulder heals. Caution is the key a this point because the shoulder is still healing and you dont want a setback. Target is still no missed games and he will be ready day one.

Bogozags
07-29-2018, 05:52 AM
He has been out of the sling for about 6 weeks. Can now do weight training that doesn't put pressure on the shoulder joint. Basketball wise, his only limitations at this point of the rehab is any type of contact (or potential contact) and long range shooting. He is shooting comfortably out to 15 feet and they are gradually moving him further out as the shoulder heals. Caution is the key a this point because the shoulder is still healing and you dont want a setback. Target is still no missed games and he will be ready day one.

Now that is GREAT news! ��

raise the zag
07-29-2018, 05:53 AM

The best news is he is right on track and the bittersweet news, he has a few months of healing left til the season starts. God speed Joshua! Our most important player for next season imo

thespywhozaggedme
07-29-2018, 05:58 AM

Sounds like he's having a speedy recovery. Thanks for the good news.

sittingon50
07-29-2018, 11:44 AM
First Scrimmage Report

"You had me at 'First' ."

willandi
07-30-2018, 04:48 PM

So, no scrimmage, but can play some one on none!

Zagceo
07-30-2018, 07:07 PM

Thanks

This news deserves its own thread

Zagceo
07-31-2018, 06:16 AM
this would be nice if Zags advertised open practice

was sent email because I'm on LMU mailing list

Join the LMU men's basketball team for an open practice for the public from 5:30-6:30 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 6, at Gersten Pavilion. The practice will give fans the first look of the 2018-19 team, and an opportunity to see the Lions before prior to their departure to Australia for the team's upcoming foreign tour (http://l.paciolanmail.com/rts/go2.aspx?h=4130&tp=i-H8B-Q6m-5c-4NjR-2N-Dut-1c-G-4NIl-vrIlY).

http://x.paciolanmail.com/ats/msg.aspx?sg1=e93c714a3d6135871eb0c22f60cfe1c6

Zagdawg
07-31-2018, 06:24 AM
Gonzaga basketball sets dates for Kraziness in the Kennel, FanFest and players’ appearances at Hoopfest

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jun/28/gonzaga-sets-dates-for-kraziness-fanfest-and-playe/