PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Sign Johnathan Williams!

ZagNative
07-21-2018, 09:40 AM
Wow! Wow! Wow! Congrats to Johnathan!

https://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/180721sign-johnathan-williams

EL SEGUNDO – The Los Angeles Lakers have signed Johnathan Williams, it was announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.

Williams saw action in seven Las Vegas Summer League games, playing 24.6 minutes per game and tallying 4.4 points and 4.6 rebounds per contest. In 37 games (36 starts) for Gonzaga last season, the First Team All-WCC honoree averaged 13.4 points (.563 FG%), 8.5 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.1 blocks in 29.2 minutes. Williams was also named to the All-WCC First Team in 2017 and represented Team USA in the FIBA U16 and U17 World Championships in 2011 and 2012, winning two gold medals.

More: https://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-sign-johnathan-williams-training-camp-roster/2018/07/21/

Lakers Sign Johnathan Williams For Training Camp Roster

https://s22928.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Jonathan-Williams-1-640x405.jpg

The Los Angeles Lakers announced the signing of Johnathan Williams, who’s the team’s third such minor transaction within the past week. They previously inked Joel Berry II and Jeffrey Carroll, and on Friday reportedly came to terms with Michael Beasley.

Ekrub
07-21-2018, 09:47 AM
That's fantastic. Continuing the trend of zags bigs getting nba contracts. Been quite a few years in a row now.

NotoriousZ
07-21-2018, 09:53 AM
Congrats JW3! That’s another Laker from GU, maybe more to come next year... ;)

Zagdawg
07-21-2018, 10:10 AM
Congrats JW3 the hard work paying off--- luckily the Lakers front office saw something in him that a few of our "fans" here did not.

ZagNative
07-21-2018, 10:13 AM
From Twitter:

Eric Pincus
‏Verified account @EricPincus

Lakers signing Jonathan Williams, along with Joel Berry and Jeffrey Carroll, likely lining up their affiliate players for the @SouthBayLakers - also one two-way spot open (with Caruso still on a two-way)

Zagceo
07-21-2018, 10:19 AM
Lakers like Zags

Congrats JW3

MDABE80
07-21-2018, 10:24 AM
He'll make their camp. It's a start. Platooned to the farm team most likely but can be called up any time. Congrats to J3!!

jazzdelmar
07-21-2018, 10:31 AM
He'll make their camp. It's a start. Platooned to the farm team most likely but can be called up any time. Congrats to J3!!

Plenty of tv coverage in la-la land.

Ezag
07-21-2018, 11:15 AM
That is awesome and I will gladly eat crow for that!

zagbeliever
07-21-2018, 11:37 AM
So happy for him! What a humble guy and good player. True ZAG!

ZagNative
07-21-2018, 12:50 PM
Pre-season game schedule for the Lakers: https://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/180514-2018-19-preseason-schedule

https://i.imgur.com/hqeax1c.jpg

thespywhozaggedme
07-21-2018, 12:50 PM
Congrats JW3 the hard work paying off--- luckily the Lakers front office saw something in him that a few of our "fans" here did not.

It's a training camp invite, i.e. practice fodder. if he shows well he will get an offer for their G League team, which is still good because he can be promoted if the Lakers roster has injuries. Fingers crossed for him.

thespywhozaggedme
07-21-2018, 12:51 PM

Ha, sorry I should have read your post before I wrote almost the same thing. My bad.

GeorgiaZagFan
07-21-2018, 02:12 PM

Sabonis, Olynyk, Zach Collins, JWIII, and ........D.Stockton!!!!
...so how many of you would have thought David Stockton would play in the NBA?? He will probably be cut (sent back to g-league) before season starts, but his play in the g-league has been pretty darn good at times!!
I never thought he'd play a game in the NBA...

caldwellzag
07-21-2018, 02:40 PM
Congrats JW3!!

webspinnre
07-21-2018, 08:05 PM
Awesome, well done!

sittingon50
07-21-2018, 09:21 PM
Follow that dream, J3!

DixieZag
07-22-2018, 04:18 AM
Can't think of a guy that deserves it more.

Can someone enlighten me on what it means, though? It doesn't mean he's made the NBA fall team, does it? Just they own his rights and can assign him wherever?

It's still wonderful, whatever it is. Lakers like Zag players, low-maintenance, fundamentals, etc.

jazzdelmar
07-22-2018, 04:37 AM
Can't think of a guy that deserves it more.

Can someone enlighten me on what it means, though? It doesn't mean he's made the NBA fall team, does it? Just they own his rights and can assign him wherever?

It's still wonderful, whatever it is. Lakers like Zag players, low-maintenance, fundamentals, etc.

If he catches the eye of GM LeBron, he may stick. Probably G League then Europe. It's all good. The Lakers are in full spin mode, with their so-called Death Lineup and signing every knucklehead available (not JW, of course), all in an attempt to position themselves as able foes for the Gun Shot Wounds. It's BS, 45 wins would be a major step up. They blew it on PG13 and Kooky Kawhi, and Mage and Pelinka (Kobe's ghost during the Colorado rape travails) are putting up major smoke. The LA media eats it up.

Reborn
07-22-2018, 08:38 AM
Congrats JWIII. Really proud of you and really happy.

Go Zags!!!

Zagger
07-22-2018, 10:12 AM
Suh-Wheat! Way to go J3! Really happy for you!

MileHigh
07-22-2018, 01:48 PM
the fact that he signed a contract isnt really significant because all the players invited to training camp must sign a contract. However, it is significant that he was invited to camp, which means he has an outside chance at the Lakers one remaining two way G league contract. Even if he doesn't get the two way spot, he will likely get a G-League roster spot, but at about 35K a season in the G-League, he would make much more dough in Europe.

Zagceo
07-23-2018, 08:47 AM
over half of NBA players have G League experience

http://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-gleague-alumni-nba-rosters-playoffs-2017-18/

bballbeachbum
07-23-2018, 09:36 AM
over half of NBA players have G League experience

http://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-gleague-alumni-nba-rosters-playoffs-2017-18/

interesting, did not know that. thanks for posting

thebigsmoove
07-23-2018, 11:11 AM
the fact that he signed a contract isnt really significant because all the players invited to training camp must sign a contract. However, it is significant that he was invited to camp, which means he has an outside chance at the Lakers one remaining two way G league contract. Even if he doesn't get the two way spot, he will likely get a G-League roster spot, but at about 35K a season in the G-League, he would make much more dough in Europe.

Id bet Joel Berry gets the 2nd two way deal. But still hopeful J3 sticks around. He would easily make 5-10 times what G-League pays in Europe though.

West Side Lady
07-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Well, well! Go Johnathan! :cheers:

DixieZag
07-24-2018, 03:40 AM
Thanks for the answers. I suspect Jazz is more than making a joke about needing to catch LeBron's eye, bc I don't doubt that his opinion would carry huge weight, as it should. James has earned that at this point.

I find it wonderful that it seems that the Laker organization does have an inclination to sign Zag players, bigs at least, says a lot.

jazzdelmar
07-24-2018, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the answers. I suspect Jazz is more than making a joke about needing to catch LeBron's eye, bc I don't doubt that his opinion would carry huge weight, as it should. James has earned that at this point.

I find it wonderful that it seems that the Laker organization does have an inclination to sign Zag players, bigs at least, says a lot.

No joke at all. GM LBJ and Mage have chosen the knucklehead route, to infuse some fire into their high potential, millennial players like Ingram and Lonzo who have yet to flower. Once the old farts do their thing, they'll be gone. Interesting strategy. Still don't see how that will counter the scoring prowess of the Gun Shot Wounds up the coast. It WILL create buzz, and it's depraved, soulless Hollywood of course and that's all that matters.

TexasZagFan
07-24-2018, 04:32 AM
J3's prospects dimmed when the Lakers signed Michael Beasley, a more expensive option with similar traits...6'9" and left handed. Beasley also brings more "crazy" to the Lakers, and more cache as a former top draft pick.

Just my opinion.