PDA

View Full Version : Observations from a little old lady

baitcast
07-20-2018, 09:20 AM
I was at the drug store yesterday when this little old lady of 80 0r more years of age walks up to me and says "young man,I'm 84 myself and says could you help me? why sure Mam what can I do for you?

I been watching the Zags for a number of years now and I still don't know where Gonzaga is could you help me?...Why sure can mam, I was born in Spokane Wash and that's where the school is located,she thanks
and tells me how much she likes my Gonzaga cap I wear all the time,she also tells me about the classy young men who play for the school and the high standard Few has set for the team one more thing she says is looking forward to next season, F/4 or more they are really loaded you know, yes mam I know!!

That's the way it is when I wear my Zag cap!
Rob

Zagceo
07-20-2018, 09:34 AM
was the drug store in Chapel Hill?

gonzagafan62
07-20-2018, 12:02 PM
Really cool!

Reborn
07-20-2018, 12:06 PM
I was at the drug store yesterday when this little old lady of 80 0r more years of age walks up to me and says "young man,I'm 84 myself and says could you help me? why sure Mam what can I do for you?

I been watching the Zags for a number of years now and I still don't know where Gonzaga is could you help me?...Why sure can mam, I was born in Spokane Wash and that's where the school is located,she thanks
and tells me how much she likes my Gonzaga cap I wear all the time,she also tells me about the classy young men who play for the school and the high standard Few has set for the team one more thing she says is looking forward to next season, F/4 or more they are really loaded you know, yes mam I know!!

That's the way it is when I wear my Zag cap!
Rob

hahahahahhaha haa Beautiful post. Thanks. Oh. I know what you mean when I wear my GU cap or T-shirt or sweats.

baitcast
07-20-2018, 01:58 PM
Gonzaga has no idea how many fans they really have, this took place in Kingman AZ. a small town out in the middle of the AZ. desert...…...Ive been hearing this sort of stuff for years in small town USA:)
Rob

TexasZagFan
07-20-2018, 05:14 PM
Gonzaga has no idea how many fans they really have, this took place in Kingman AZ. a small town out in the middle of the AZ. desert...…...Ive been hearing this sort of stuff for years in small town USA:)
Rob

I'll never forget the game in Tulsa about 15 years ago. My oldest son, now 29, was in middle school, and it was his first Zag game after the loss to Wyoming in Albuquerque. He still marvels how I avoided getting my rear kicked by a huge Wyoming kid, but that's another story.

Anyhoo, GoZags and I had a nice conversation for about ten minutes, catching up in our first meeting in 25 years. When he left, some people came up to me and asked me if I went to Gonzaga. Their second question was, "where is GU located"? They had driven several hours from Arkansas to see a team they loved. I was rather humbled by their quest.

GoZags
07-20-2018, 05:42 PM
I'll never forget the game in Tulsa about 15 years ago. My oldest son, now 29, was in middle school, and it was his first Zag game after the loss to Wyoming in Albuquerque. He still marvels how I avoided getting my rear kicked by a huge Wyoming kid, but that's another story.

Anyhoo, GoZags and I had a nice conversation for about ten minutes, catching up in our first meeting in 25 years. When he left, some people came up to me and asked me if I went to Gonzaga. Their second question was, "where is GU located"? They had driven several hours from Arkansas to see a team they loved. I was rather humbled by their quest.

Hmmm .... somehow I was thinking we'd chatted in Albuquerque in '00 (Sweet 16 loss to Purdue). Could be mistaken. Also (not to be picky) ... the Arkansas folks (unless there was more than one set) were Zags (he ... Dale Grant ... played baseball at Pecarovich). Some others weren't sure, however.

TexasZagFan
07-20-2018, 06:00 PM
Hmmm .... somehow I was thinking we'd chatted in Albuquerque in '00 (Sweet 16 loss to Purdue). Could be mistaken. Also (not to be picky) ... the Arkansas folks (unless there was more than one set) were Zags (he ... Dale Grant ... played baseball at Pecarovich). Some others weren't sure, however.

Sorry GZ, the first game I saw live since college was that dreadful defeat against Wyoming in 2002. I might have the AR folks mixed up with the Missouri folks, who also drove in to Tulsa to watch the Zags.

Just another reason why I realize the vast majority of my personal recollections are mostly interesting only to myself...particularly most of my Army stories...lol. Tell you what, going to GU really prepared me for life in Germany. My neighbors were surprised at my ability to keep up with them when it came to drinking. Considering the upgrade in quality from Lucky Lager to any one of a few hundred German beers, it was easy.

GoZags
07-20-2018, 06:53 PM
Sorry GZ, the first game I saw live since college was that dreadful defeat against Wyoming in 2002. I might have the AR folks mixed up with the Missouri folks, who also drove in to Tulsa to watch the Zags.

Just another reason why I realize the vast majority of my personal recollections are mostly interesting only to myself...particularly most of my Army stories...lol. Tell you what, going to GU really prepared me for life in Germany. My neighbors were surprised at my ability to keep up with them when it came to drinking. Considering the upgrade in quality from Lucky Lager to any one of a few hundred German beers, it was easy.

You are right. I saw you in the Pit but it was the Wyoming game .... not the Purdue game.

And the Arkansas folks were the Grant family ... including Abby Grant who survived her Cancer and was in scholarship for
Syracuse hoops the last few yeArs.

LouisianaZag
07-20-2018, 07:58 PM
Rob

I agree, I wear my Zag shirt and I am given thumbs up, comments about how much they love the Zags and comments about the possibilities next season holds. Also, many comments about what a great coach Coach Few is compared to many of the blue bloods.

bigblahla
07-21-2018, 04:20 AM

Yeah, but the German beer didn't have three X's on the back of the bottle label for some young Fraulein to sign and you to get Lucky. ;)

Just my two cents...

Go!! Zags!!!

BayAreaZagFan
07-21-2018, 10:48 AM
A few years ago, I saw a young woman in a bar (probably old enough to be there, but barely) in St Louis wearing a Zags cap. I asked her if she was a fan and she said yes. I asked her why and she said she started being a fan when she was little because she "liked the name" and as she got older, she started following sports and started watching every game of theirs she could on regular tv, and had a friend with satellite tv and would watch as many games with them as possible. She didn't necessarily know all of the ins and outs of the game (not saying I do, either), but she could name all of the Zags players for the previous five years and was able to talk about the details (and the heartbreak) of a lot of the games. She knew they were from Spokane, but had never set foot in the state and, like a lot of others who never have, assumed it always rained there. I had a really fun conversation with her and left thoroughly impressed with how much of a fan she was, considering she had no direct connection to the school or the city. I'm guessing there are thousands of fans like her across the country, based on the initial underdog/Cinderella/David vs. Goliath story, the sustained success and exposure over the years, or just because they "like the name".

sheps001
07-22-2018, 11:38 AM
A few years ago, I saw a young woman in a bar (probably old enough to be there, but barely) in St Louis wearing a Zags cap. I asked her if she was a fan and she said yes. I asked her why and she said she started being a fan when she was little because she "liked the name" and as she got older, she started following sports and started watching every game of theirs she could on regular tv, and had a friend with satellite tv and would watch as many games with them as possible. She didn't necessarily know all of the ins and outs of the game (not saying I do, either), but she could name all of the Zags players for the previous five years and was able to talk about the details (and the heartbreak) of a lot of the games. She knew they were from Spokane, but had never set foot in the state and, like a lot of others who never have, assumed it always rained there. I had a really fun conversation with her and left thoroughly impressed with how much of a fan she was, considering she had no direct connection to the school or the city. I'm guessing there are thousands of fans like her across the country, based on the initial underdog/Cinderella/David vs. Goliath story, the sustained success and exposure over the years, or just because they "like the name".

Its really amazing how many Zag fans there are. Every time I wear my colors no matter where I go I see them. Just moved to Palm Beach Area and am looking forward to watching my team at the local sports bars. Terrible here, never gets cold. LOL.