PDA

View Full Version : Final Four sites awarded

Zagceo
07-19-2018, 01:03 PM
2023 Houston
2024 Phoenix
2025 San Antonio
2026 Indianapolis

usually suspects .....might get LA or Vegas in the mix when new football stadiums get complete

CDC84
07-19-2018, 02:16 PM
Houston is the worst site in the world. The stadium is just too far away from where the media and most people have to stay, and it's just not a very good city for hosting the final 4. The site should be eliminated from future final 4's.

The new stadium in Inglewood that the Rams and Chargers are going to play at is a weird set up. It has a clear roof, and Emmert said in a L.A. Times interview that it could impact basketball play. Sides of the stadium are open air, and I guess the NCAA wasn't convinced the venue could cover them enough to allow for basketball. The one thing that was bad about killing the Kingdome is that it killed the west coast from getting any future final 4's. It's to my understanding that the new final four elevated court set up was designed for football stadiums, so a retractable roof baseball park cannot host the thing. They'd have to completely rework it for a baseball-type field, which has lower elevation on the sides and is more vast in terms of "green space." Moreover, baseball parks don't have enough permanent seating. They need enough seats for 78,000 fans.

Las Vegas didn't submit a bid for a final four, which surprised a lot of people. With legalized gambling, that is no longer an impediment. The city has never hosted a subregional or a regional before despite having good sites ever since the Thomas & Mack Center opened.

I personally think they should just play the final four in Indianapolis every season. The College Baseball World Series is held in Omaha every year, so why not? Indy is centrally located on the map. The venue is in the downtown area and is located next to all the hotels that people stay at. Indiana is a basketball crazy state. The downtown area of Indy is beautiful, and the dome is the absolute best one for seeing a basketball game (not that domes are good for watching basketball games, but it is a better venue than the Superdome, the Alamodome, etc.). When Butler played Duke in the national title game, I don't think Butler had any decided home floor advantage despite being the hometown team. If there were enclosed domes in every major city I might agree with the switching thing, but it is kind of ludicrous that the same few cities get the final four

zagsfanforlife
07-19-2018, 02:33 PM
Houston is the worst site in the world. The stadium is just too far away from where the media and most people have to stay, and it's just not a very good city for hosting the final 4. The site should be eliminated from future final 4's.

The new stadium in Inglewood that the Rams and Chargers are going to play at is a weird set up. It has a clear roof, and Emmert said in a L.A. Times interview that it could impact basketball play. Sides of the stadium are open air, and I guess the NCAA wasn't convinced the venue could cover them enough to allow for basketball. The one thing that was bad about killing the Kingdome is that it killed the west coast from getting any future final 4's. It's to my understanding that the new final four elevated court set up was designed for football stadiums, so a retractable roof baseball park cannot host the thing. They'd have to completely rework it for a baseball-type field, which has lower elevation on the sides and is more vast in terms of "green space." Moreover, baseball parks don't have enough permanent seating. They need enough seats for 78,000 fans.

Las Vegas didn't submit a bid for a final four, which surprised a lot of people. With legalized gambling, that is no longer an impediment. The city has never hosted a subregional or a regional before despite having good sites ever since the Thomas & Mack Center opened.

I personally think they should just play the final four in Indianapolis every season. The College Baseball World Series is held in Omaha every year, so why not? Indy is centrally located on the map. The venue is in the downtown area and is located next to all the hotels that people stay at. Indiana is a basketball crazy state. The downtown area of Indy is beautiful, and the dome is the absolute best one for seeing a basketball game (not that domes are good for watching basketball games, but it is a better venue than the Superdome, the Alamodome, etc.). When Butler played Duke in the national title game, I don't think Butler had any decided home floor advantage despite being the hometown team. If there were enclosed domes in every major city I might agree with the switching thing, but it is kind of ludicrous that the same 8 cities get the final four.

I like phoenix.

I spoke with a close friend of mine involved in the Houston bid and he said it was between Houston, LA, or LV for the last spot. He made it seem like LV did submit a bid?? hmm. Anyways, i know they beat out LA.

Zagceo
07-19-2018, 03:35 PM
I went to a few games in Kingdom in 78-79 when Sonics played Bullets in back to back years...I remember it was set up with curtain for 40K fans

Trivia...... Sonics Bullets played last game without 3 point shot in 1979 Final

GuZag2012
07-19-2018, 04:19 PM
I really think that Minneapolis is going to be a great host site this year. US Bank Stadium is located close to a lot of hotels & restaurants close to downtown Minneapolis and US Bank Stadium is an extremely impressive facility. Iím hoping that Iíll have the opportunity to welcome many Zag fans to the Twin Cities for a few Final Four games/wins this spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basketballzag
07-19-2018, 06:52 PM
2023 Houston
2024 Phoenix
2025 San Antonio
2026 Indianapolis

usually suspects .....might get LA or Vegas in the mix when new football stadiums get complete

Houston and Indy suck. New Orleans blows both location NA out
Of the water.

TexasZagFan
07-20-2018, 05:18 AM
Houston and Indy suck. New Orleans blows both location NA out
Of the water.

I was in Houston for the Duke-GU game. Might as well have had it in Carlsbad Caverns...had the same effect.

Glad Jerry World wasn't chosen. Why go to a game when you're watching it on a big screen, because you're too far away from the court?

CDC84
07-22-2018, 03:23 AM
I like phoenix.

I spoke with a close friend of mine involved in the Houston bid and he said it was between Houston, LA, or LV for the last spot. He made it seem like LV did submit a bid?? hmm. Anyways, i know they beat out LA.

I still wonder if the NCAA also wants to wait a little longer with Vegas because the gambling decision was JUST handed down and the NCAA for years and years have hypocritically tried to distance themselves from gambling even though they know their tournament is so successful because of gambling. The L.A. site was never really in the running because there are just too many concerns with the clear roof and how all the sunlight could impact play. And also how they would deal with the sides of the venue being open air.

To each his own, but a major sportswriter I spoke to last week (who has, BTW, gone to every final 4 since 1987 - and who hasn't always had great seats) said that the Phoenix site is very poor. Like Houston, it is just too dang far away from downtown Phoenix. Even 10 miles makes a HUGE difference. Having a venue that is centrally located in the downtown area of the city is the single most important thing when it comes to hosting a final four. BY FAR. It leads to more money making, and a better fan experience. It cuts down on transportation for fans, media and teams. It allows the NCAA to stage their various "fan-centered" events closer to the venue. There are more places for shopping, eating, and drinking. It becomes its own little "final four community." He also said that the Phoenix site (well, the Glendale site) is just too cavernous. No matter how they set it up, the worst seat is always much worse than any other final 4 dome. He went to a regional there some time back that UConn ended up winning.

I agree with BBZ that New Orleans is a very good site (w/out question the 2nd best site, but the venue is aging), but completely disagree about Indy. Indy is WAY better than any site because the teams and nearly all fans and media can stay near the stadium. Many can just walk to it. Lucas Oil Stadium (not the old dome they tore down) is the best venue of all the domes for watching a basketball game, and that counts for something because watching basketball in a dome in the cheap seats is, shall we day, "challenging." Also, Indiana it is a basketball crazy state. Indy is the only city that the NCAA will place regionals at now because they know the city will draw 50,000 to a regional because of how much the locals love their basketball. Unlike Houston and their awful venue that drew something like 23,000 for it's regional final between Duke and Gonzaga. Indy is where the NCAA is located, so it logistically makes things easier for them. Lastly, so many of the great basketball programs - programs that are more likely than others to make the final 4 - are within a reasonable distance of Indy.

I would rather they just keep it in Indy and make it better and better and better each season.

CDC84
07-22-2018, 04:14 AM
A friend of mine had the good fortune (because there weren't many of them back then) of staying at a hotel near NRG Stadium in Houston the year when it held that terrible UConn/Butler title game. The mom and popper seemed fine, except when he came back from shoot around, his hotel room was covered with roaches. When he complained to management, they said, "Good luck finding another hotel in the city." Well he did........in Katy. 32 miles from NRG Stadium. True story.

Zagceo
07-22-2018, 07:11 AM
FF festivities are for corporate....fans want affordable tickets

Flights weather and bars Pheonix was just fine by me.

Heard Indy has the highest priced tickets because of local demand

Bogozags
07-23-2018, 02:25 AM
So how come Spokane isn't on the list?

bigblahla
07-23-2018, 05:21 AM
So how come Spokane isn't on the list?

Albi Stadium has questionable lighting and the Sewer Dept., which isn't the easiest to negotiate with.... never put in a bid.... ;)

Go!! Zags!!!

JPtheBeasta
07-23-2018, 06:00 AM
Glendale (Phoenix) is away from the city (it might be kind of like having an arena in Liberty Lake and staying in Spokane), but they have an entertainment district set up around the stadium. If you get to the venue early and treat it like you are tailgating a football game (it is in a football stadium, anyhow) it is a fun experience. I wasted an hour wondering around and trying to find a good t-shirt, which proved challenging. There are plenty of restaurants and bars on site. I would hang out in Scottsdale and not Phoenix for the days leading up to the event,anyhow, because downtown Phoenix isn't much of a cultural center like most downtowns are.

My complain was the seating. I wish I had worked the school angle like some did here, because I bought seats almost as quickly as possible after the Zags punched their ticket and I was something like 5 rows from the top. Per TexasZag's comment, the big screen was just about the same as the court-- it was a lose-lose situation. You did get used to it after a while but a football stadium is simply not a great place to watch a basketball game. The sight lines must have been better at Univeristy of Phoenix Stadium than at the GU-Duke game, at least, because people were making shots.