PDA

View Full Version : Great read on Clarke

ZagsObserver
07-13-2018, 06:04 AM
Spokesman article:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jul/13/gonzagas-brandon-clarke-ready-to-show-off-year-of-/

GoZags
07-13-2018, 06:24 AM
The article comes at a good time as we get excited for next season.

I'm really looking forward to following Brandon (and the Zags). Could be another one for the annals.

Zag_Dad
07-13-2018, 06:52 AM
“He jumps faster and higher than any human being I’ve been around,” said senior point guard Josh Perkins

WOW. That’s quite a statement. Can’t wait to see him in action.

Zagceo
07-13-2018, 07:25 AM
the kid is gonna be fun to watch

JPtheBeasta
07-13-2018, 07:57 AM
This will be an interesting back court, to say the least :]

I think it’s great that the redshirt program is what helped him decide to pick GU. This truly seems to be a unique thing in the country.

I can’t wait to see this guy “kiss the rim.”

gozagswoohoo
07-13-2018, 08:31 AM
I am abounding with joy.

zagamatic
07-13-2018, 09:34 AM
If he can have the hops of an Errol Knight, Ira Brown, Jeremy Pargo, etc without the injury issues and has a descent shot.......well he "could be" a very special player indeed.

West Side Lady
07-13-2018, 10:02 AM
Super excited to see this guy. And Ayayi too.

ZaggyZaggerson
07-13-2018, 10:12 AM
Math says 46" vertical ... someone correct me if I'm wrong.:000tens:

thespywhozaggedme
07-13-2018, 10:25 AM
This will be an interesting back court, to say the least :]

I think it’s great that the redshirt program is what helped him decide to pick GU. This truly seems to be a unique thing in the country.

I can’t wait to see this guy “kiss the rim.”
backcourt?

Grand Valley Zag
07-13-2018, 11:03 AM
Math says 46" vertical ... someone correct me if I'm wrong.:000tens:

It's 40 inches from the top of his head to the rim right? How tall is his face? That's what we need to know (distance from lips to top of head anyway). :)

Grand Valley Zag
07-13-2018, 11:10 AM
I just measured on myself. Six inches from mouth to top of head. Assuming that neither BC nor I have faces that are especially tall or short, 46 inches is probably about right.

Zagceo
07-13-2018, 11:14 AM
all players should be using this device in training

http://www.vertimax.com/Products/

23dpg
07-13-2018, 11:21 AM
I had no idea he was that ...bouncy. Although 46" is probably a reach.

raise the zag
07-13-2018, 11:40 AM
When a former player described BC to me, the first thing he said was, "40 inch vert"...

With an improved shot he could be our Andrew Wiggins type of "big". Although BC more post oriented.

A bouncier Elias Harris in my mind.

MDABE80
07-13-2018, 11:51 AM
Clinically the face is divided into thirds.. Without going through all the machinations , hairline to mouth is usually about 4-6 inches depending on the person in a cosmetic derm clinic.. Give him a 44 in-46 in lift. Some of you have seen him jump. I have. He lift off pretty easily and is very quick off his feet. Not quite a David Thompson leaper ( Skywalker) but pretty close. I think he may be our best big this year. Diverse and a very busy motor. His nose is always in the key looking for the ball. I do hope his shooting outside has picked up. If he shoots well this year and plays hard, he might be here only 1 year. I hope 2 but we'll see.

JPtheBeasta
07-13-2018, 12:01 PM
backcourt?

Nothing slips past you...

I meant front court, where all the 6’8” and above people play. I suppose Clarke could play some small forward, but I picture him playing smaller than that.

Grand Valley Zag
07-13-2018, 12:06 PM
"Clinically the face is divided into thirds.. Without going through all the machinations , hairline to mouth is usually about 4-6 inches depending on the person in a cosmetic derm clinic.. Give him a 44 in-46 in lift."

Awesome. :)

GoZags
07-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Super excited to see this guy. And Ayayi too.

Me too (smile).

23dpg
07-13-2018, 02:40 PM
I’m excited for Clarke next year, very excited. But let’s pump the brakes on his jumping ability. He’s an above the rim guy, great. But it’s very unlikely he’s at 46 inches. That’s insane ability. That number would tie the highest ever recorded at the nba combine. D. J. Stephens set the vertical leap record in 2013 at 46 inches . The second best combine vertical leap is 44.5 inches. Forty inches for a guy his size would be amazing.

Bouldin4Prez
07-13-2018, 03:07 PM
Clinically the face is divided into thirds.. Without going through all the machinations , hairline to mouth is usually about 4-6 inches depending on the person in a cosmetic derm clinic.. Give him a 44 in-46 in lift. Some of you have seen him jump. I have. He lift off pretty easily and is very quick off his feet. Not quite a David Thompson leaper ( Skywalker) but pretty close. I think he may be our best big this year. Diverse and a very busy motor. His nose is always in the key looking for the ball. I do hope his shooting outside has picked up. If he shoots well this year and plays hard, he might be here only 1 year. I hope 2 but we'll see.

Good point, however you are incorrect. When he goes up to kiss the rim his body isn't moving completely vertical. It's like when you are in a pool and it's too deep to breath with your head straight up and down so you tilt your head back to breath so you need to subtract a couple inches from your estimation.

MDABE80
07-13-2018, 03:43 PM
Good point, however you are incorrect. When he goes up to kiss the rim his body isn't moving completely vertical. It's like when you are in a pool and it's too deep to breath with your head straight up and down so you tilt your head back to breath so you need to subtract a couple inches from your estimation.

<rolls eyes>.............

SunDevilGolfZag
07-13-2018, 03:44 PM
I’m excited for Clarke next year, very excited. But let’s pump the brakes on his jumping ability. He’s an above the rim guy, great. But it’s very unlikely he’s at 46 inches. That’s insane ability. That number would tie the highest ever recorded at the nba combine. D. J. Stephens set the vertical leap record in 2013 at 46 inches . The second best combine vertical leap is 44.5 inches. Forty inches for a guy his size would be amazing.

Whatever his vertical, his head was easily above the rim in the dunk contest at Craziness last year. Has to be low forties at least.

Hoopaholic
07-13-2018, 05:31 PM
all players should be using this device in training

http://www.vertimax.com/Products/
Going to order this to meet my bucket list of grabbing the net

TexasZagFan
07-13-2018, 06:16 PM
The article comes at a good time as we get excited for next season.

I'm really looking forward to following Brandon (and the Zags). Could be another one for the annals.

I don't know what the big deal is...attendance won't improve from last year, or any point in the last ten years.

(snicker)

MickMick
07-15-2018, 07:25 AM
An Elias Harris with more hops. An Elias Harris that isn't bent on experimenting/wasting time with the 3 position to improve NBA credentials. A player that, according to Mark Few, exudes optimism and fun when he enters the court. He lightens up the room.

I'm telling ya. The best player on the team. It isn't just about how good you are. It is also how you elevate others around you.

The athleticism on this team is top shelf with Clarke and Rui. Rui was the only player that could really compete with Florida State's length and athleticism in the tournament last year. Add Clarke, and GU is much better able to deal with such teams.

EEzag
07-15-2018, 08:46 AM
An Elias Harris with more hops. An Elias Harris that isn't bent on experimenting/wasting time with the 3 position to improve NBA credentials. A player that, according to Mark Few, exudes optimism and fun when he enters the court. He lightens up the room.

I'm telling ya. The best player on the team. It isn't just about how good you are. It is also how you elevate others around you.

The athleticism on this team is top shelf with Clarke and Rui. Rui was the only player that could really compete with Florida State's length and athleticism in the tournament last year. Add Clarke, and GU is much better able to deal with such teams.

Best player on the team might be a stretch. We can agree to disagree and maybe celebrate that this team could have a different star every week.

Elias came back to school to work on his game because he was told he wasn't ready. He probably wasn't. Becoming more versatile was one of those things to work on. It just didn't go as planned and sometime doesn't. It cost him millions.

I don't see a lot of similarities in their games. Harris was more skilled but Clarke in more athletic. If you are right and Clarke is the best player we are in the FF no doubt. On a team wth two maybe three NBAers and Clarke would make 4? And be the best of them all? I gotta say I'm more excited than when I heard George Lucas wouldn't be allowed to direct any more Star Wars movies.

MickMick
07-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Best player on the team might be a stretch. We can agree to disagree and maybe celebrate that this team could have a different star every week.

Elias came back to school to work on his game because he was told he wasn't ready. He probably wasn't. Becoming more versatile was one of those things to work on. It just didn't go as planned and sometime doesn't. It cost him millions.

I don't see a lot of similarities in their games. Harris was more skilled but Clarke in more athletic. If you are right and Clarke is the best player we are in the FF no doubt. On a team wth two maybe three NBAers and Clarke would make 4? And be the best of them all? I gotta say I'm more excited than when I heard George Lucas wouldn't be allowed to direct any more Star Wars movies.

I disagree with less skilled than Harris. The numbers tell me otherwise.

Malastein
07-15-2018, 02:11 PM
I just hope he is as good as JW3!

bballbeachbum
07-15-2018, 06:42 PM
'I just can't wait man.'
me too!

gonzagabasketball
07-15-2018, 07:48 PM
I just hope he is as good as JW3!

That would be nice. Although strickly speaking, coming into Gonzaga his numbers are as good if not better almost straight a crossed the board. Im not predicting that he will be better, but there is no reason to think he wont be.

MontanaCoyote
07-15-2018, 08:17 PM

Right you are. Wish there was a way to quantify statistically the worth/ value of a player’s ability to help other players be/get/play better. Of course your best player may or may not be your most valuable player. Depends.

Malastein
07-15-2018, 11:15 PM
That would be nice. Although strickly speaking, coming into Gonzaga his numbers are as good if not better almost straight a crossed the board. Im not predicting that he will be better, but there is no reason to think he wont be.
Arguably against much weaker competition...

thebigsmoove
07-16-2018, 04:50 AM
I don't know what the big deal is...attendance won't improve from last year, or any point in the last ten years.

(snicker)

But perhaps crowd interest will improve?

gonzagabasketball
07-16-2018, 04:51 AM
Arguably against much weaker competition...

With arguably far worse talent surrounding him. Plus, the WCC is plenty weak.

bartruff1
07-16-2018, 06:28 AM
If Clarke can produce numbers anywhere near those of Elias and play with the same commitment to the team....well.....I am drinking the EE and FF Kool Aid.....as always I am concerned about the team defense...just maybe Geno is another Bell or Silas..

We have had exceptional hoppers here before that had little impact on the team...

I am always aware of what a exasperated Bob Huggins said after another loss to Gonzaga.....something like, "Mark wins because he recruits kids that can play basketball....all to often …..the rest of us recruit kids that can run and jump and shoot the ball.... "

TexasZagFan
07-16-2018, 07:42 AM
But perhaps crowd interest will improve?

I’m predicting larger tent cities this winter. It will be crazy in the Kennel this year.