PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Wade

Sandpointzagsfan
07-11-2018, 01:25 PM
Jesse wade is going to be playing for BYU. Just announced on his Instagram

Reborn
07-11-2018, 01:31 PM
I was hoping that he would. It's just cool.

bartruff1
07-11-2018, 01:46 PM
A fine choice and a great opportunity.....he and his family must be very pleased....

zagdontzig
07-11-2018, 02:00 PM
They always wanted him, and botched it up with Frank Jackson. Now he's t'ed up to be a star there. Very excited for him and his family.

As a Zag, he worked hard in practice by all accounts, supported his team, and so he's a Zag lifer in my book. The good feels are always deep with this one.

Mr Vulture
07-11-2018, 02:13 PM
I'm a little surprised but happy for Jesse.

Zagdawg
07-11-2018, 02:16 PM
He joins his sister there-- she is a star soccer player-- it must be in the genes.

MDABE80
07-11-2018, 02:31 PM
I didn't know transfers with the same conference were allowed. I suppose if Few allowed it. I am just so glad Jesse got this position. He'll settle in and do a great job! Congrats to him and his family.

jazzdelmar
07-11-2018, 02:43 PM
I didn't know transfers with the same conference were allowed. I suppose if Few allowed it. I am just so glad Jesse got this position. He'll settle in and do a great job! Congrats to him and his family.

BYU-Hawaii?

Ebay
07-11-2018, 03:07 PM
Trivia Question:

Has a player ever transferred out of GU and then played against GU at their new school? If so, name him/them.

(fair warning...I don't know the answer)

TexasZagFan
07-11-2018, 03:12 PM

I think it's up to the coach...IIRC, there are new rules being implemented for transfers, to make it easier on the student-athlete. Best wishes to Jesse.

TexasZagFan
07-11-2018, 03:15 PM
They always wanted him, and botched it up with Frank Jackson. Now he's t'ed up to be a star there. Very excited for him and his family.

As a Zag, he worked hard in practice by all accounts, supported his team, and so he's a Zag lifer in my book. The good feels are always deep with this one.

The TZF clan feels the same way about Jesse, and his family.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1778_zpseucqfifi.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1778_zpseucqfifi.jpg.html)

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1782_zpssdnfjdoo.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1782_zpssdnfjdoo.jpg.html)

"Big D" with Jesse's wife Jade.

RenoZag
07-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Has a player ever transferred out of GU and then played against GU at their new school? If so, name him/them.

Chris Sarbaugh was a 2010-2011 season GU walk on; played against GU when he was at USD in the 13-14 and 14-15 seasons.

May be others . . .

ZagzKrak
07-11-2018, 04:14 PM
Not 100% sure but didn't we play OU at some point when Spangler was there?

ZigZagger
07-11-2018, 04:15 PM
Not 100% sure but didn't we play OU at some point when Spangler was there?

Sort of, I believe we played them his transfer redshirt year.

kitzbuel
07-11-2018, 04:23 PM
I didn't know transfers with the same conference were allowed. I suppose if Few allowed it. I am just so glad Jesse got this position. He'll settle in and do a great job! Congrats to him and his family.I believe there is some agreement against transferring within conference without extenuating circumstances or losing school permission. Didn't Rob Jones have to get some special dispensation to transfer to SMC from USD? He was claiming family hardship I believe.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Zagceo
07-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Wade is believed to be the first former Zag to transfer directly to another West Coast Conference school in Gonzaga’s 40 years in the conference. Chris Sarbaugh, a GU walk-on, transferred to North Idaho College and then San Diego before finishing at Idaho.Gonzaga didn’t put any restrictions on Wade’s release. The WCC rescinded a rule that used to required players to sit two years if they transferred within the conference.

Wade announced his decision via Twitter: “From Kaysville to France to Spokane, I’m extremely grateful for the places that my life has taken me and the people that I have met. With that being said, I’m excited to say that I have decided to come home and further my basketball career and education at BYU!”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jul/11/former-gonzaga-guard-jesse-wade-transferring-to-by/

VinnyZag
07-11-2018, 04:43 PM
My understanding is that restrictions can be imposed by the coach who is granting a player his "release," but the restrictions aren't there by default.

What are the odds that Jesse Wade lights GU up for like 8 3-pointers in a game at some point? Pretty good, right?

JPtheBeasta
07-11-2018, 05:45 PM
My understanding is that restrictions can be imposed by the coach who is granting a player his "release," but the restrictions aren't there by default.

What are the odds that Jesse Wade lights GU up for like 8 3-pointers in a game at some point? Pretty good, right?

A Jesse Wade dagger at the end of a game definitely worries me.

I wish him the best, except when he plays us :)

soccerdud
07-11-2018, 08:46 PM
Trivia Question:

(fair warning...I don't know the answer)

i think we played against gibbs at creighton, but i could be wrong.

congrats, jesse. best to you and yours.

thespywhozaggedme
07-11-2018, 08:58 PM
Am I the only one that think's he's gonna routinely drop 15-18 ppg on us?

Robzagnut
07-11-2018, 09:21 PM
Congrats to Jesse. Beat SMC. Hope your shoulder heals up to 100%.

Robzagnut
07-11-2018, 09:22 PM
i think we played against gibbs at creighton, but i could be wrong.

GU will play against Gibbs next year when they play Creighton.

JPtheBeasta
07-11-2018, 10:05 PM

I think he used up his 10 years of college eligibility.

sittingon50
07-11-2018, 10:49 PM

RS Soph, expecting a big year.

JAGzag
07-12-2018, 01:24 AM

I spit out my coffee at this one! Well played, kid seemed to have an endless career. Glad for Wade, and I have no doubt he’ll drop some daggers against GU. Also know he’ll be welcomed back to the Kennel by the fans. Great kid.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-12-2018, 01:46 AM
I spit out my coffee at this one! Well played, kid seemed to have an endless career. Glad for Wade, and I have no doubt he’ll drop some daggers against GU. Also know he’ll be welcomed back to the Kennel by the fans. Great kid.

Wade eligible to play after transferring in 2019-2020, correct?

raise the zag
07-12-2018, 03:31 AM
Wade eligible to play after transferring in 2019-2020, correct?

Correct. He will technically be a 23 yr old Sophomore by the time he suits up for BYU.

Since nothing has been announced or official yet, wonder if he's walking on? Uncertain.

Speaking of, BYU has impressive size and talent this season and beyond. Although, i expect Childs to leave after this season. Their entire lineup is filled with 4* Top 100 players -- bigs and guards alike. They have the talent to be a NCAA team in the coming years, and/or compete with anyone. The Cougs have 3 guys returning from missionaries who were all highly recruited and ranked, one of them we went after as well. It's really too bad Emery is suspended the first 1/3rd of this season. BYU is mostly talented freshmen who should catch their groove come WCC time. Remember, they made the WCC Final last year, and just added (4) consensus top 100 4* guys to their roster, and a solid transfer to boot. 6'4" & 6'5" guard, 6'7" wing, a 6'10" 250lb big who is very physical.

Wayyyyyy better than most are giving credit to.

If Jesse maintains his health (unstable shoulders), he would be playing at BYU til he's 25!

bartruff1
07-12-2018, 05:33 AM
Not a fan of reading other school's forums....but the BYU fans posting on this are universal in their opinion that Few is a great coach and a better person....one went so far as to say if he had a boy that was D1 good, he would send him to Few.....I think they are right.

If you have trouble reading their site, click on the symbol for BYU Basketball under Categories to screen out the other chatter. ..

Zagsker
07-12-2018, 06:52 AM
... I have no doubt he’ll drop some daggers against GU...

I do

bartruff1
07-12-2018, 07:36 AM
I do

I do too...

Markburn1
07-12-2018, 07:44 AM

Probably not. But that's because he's such a likeable kid and everybody is rooting for him.

The truth is, if he was capable of doing that, he would have shown it in practice and he would still be here.

hooter73
07-12-2018, 07:48 AM
Rose has his guys playing as close to thug ball as he can get away with. I think that has something to do with the constant flux. There's attitudes, people getting hurt, leaving early under circumstances, and by the end of the year not playing really good ball. Just my opinion...

Good luck Jesse,.

Zagceo
07-12-2018, 08:09 AM
In his senior season, Wade averaged 26.8 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game in leading the Darts to the Class 5A state semifinals. He was named The Tribune’s Most Valuable Player at the end of that season.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/high-school-sports/2018/06/01/former-davis-high-basketball-star-jesse-wade-transferring-from-gonzaga/

don't know what 5A equates to in WA or CA but numbers don't always tell the whole story....IMO Jessie will always have a hard time getting his shot off against bigger players in D1...guessing that was evident in practice and will be evident in future games against Zags.

NotoriousZ
07-12-2018, 09:02 AM
Congrats Jesse! I have no doubt at all that you’ll hit many threes against your former team, but we’ll still win. ;)

But seriously, I think you will flourish at BYU.

Wishing you all the best, good luck!

BoZarth
07-12-2018, 09:28 AM
Last fall after the GU-UW game we stuck around so my son could meet the players and get some autographs. Understanding everyone has their own personality Jesse stood out amongst all the players. He took the time to personalize the interaction by asking my son a couple of questions. Jesse is obviously mature beyond his years and by all accounts a top notch person. I hope he has great success at BYU. We'll still beat them more than they'll beat us. Of this, I certain.

Go Zags!!!!

Mr Vulture
07-12-2018, 09:56 AM

I wouldn't be shocked if Jesse drops those type of points on us but I'd imagine that whomever he is guarding will drop equal or more right back. I really wish Jesse the best at BYU, except when he plays us, but he has no chance to guard a guy like Davis whom will be here during Jesse's time at BYU. In any case, I'm just glad that Jesse found a place that fits him and his wife/familly moving forward.

Mr Vulture
07-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Correct. He will technically be a 23 yr old Sophomore by the time he suits up for BYU.

Since nothing has been announced or official yet, wonder if he's walking on? Uncertain.

Speaking of, BYU has impressive size and talent this season and beyond. Although, i expect Childs to leave after this season. Their entire lineup is filled with 4* Top 100 players -- bigs and guards alike. They have the talent to be a NCAA team in the coming years, and/or compete with anyone. The Cougs have 3 guys returning from missionaries who were all highly recruited and ranked, one of them we went after as well. It's really too bad Emery is suspended the first 1/3rd of this season. BYU is mostly talented freshmen who should catch their groove come WCC time. Remember, they made the WCC Final last year, and just added (4) consensus top 100 4* guys to their roster, and a solid transfer to boot. 6'4" & 6'5" guard, 6'7" wing, a 6'10" 250lb big who is very physical.

Wayyyyyy better than most are giving credit to.

If Jesse maintains his health (unstable shoulders), he would be playing at BYU til he's 25!

Childs is definately a legit 1st team all conference talent and he should help them make a run at the tournament this year. With Haws and Emery, they will have shooting as well, although I don't know that there is a player in college ball that I dislike more than Emery (now that Grayson Allen is gone).

kylasdad
07-12-2018, 11:30 AM
Losing Elijah Bryant was a huge loss for BYU. I think they will be good but he would have helped immensely.

bartruff1
07-12-2018, 12:15 PM
nit

Malastein
07-12-2018, 01:21 PM
I wish him well in every other game than against Gonzaga. Hoping he gets destroyed by the guys starring in the Zags uni every game he plays...

MDABE80
07-12-2018, 01:47 PM
I wish him well in every other game than against Gonzaga. Hoping he gets destroyed by the guys starring in the Zags uni every game he plays...

Like our guards did to Jimmer?;)

Mr Vulture
07-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Not exactly apples to apples..that 2011 team was nowhere near the talent level of our teams now. Not that Gray wasn't a good player by any means.

maynard g krebs
07-12-2018, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if Jesse drops those type of points on us but I'd imagine that whomever he is guarding will drop equal or more right back. I really wish Jesse the best at BYU, except when he plays us, but he has no chance to guard a guy like Davis whom will be here during Jesse's time at BYU. In any case, I'm just glad that Jesse found a place that fits him and his wife/familly moving forward.

Davis=Harris?

Mantua
07-14-2018, 09:12 AM
Davis=Harris?

I’m wondering too.

Bogozags
07-16-2018, 06:11 PM
My understanding is that a player can transfer to any school they want; however, if the coach doesn't release them, then they can't get a scholarship and have to sit out the transfer year without a scholarship. I remember this issue coming up with a player from St. Joes as the coach wouldn't release the player after the season and he could leave and play for the other school BUT without any scholarship. That is about to change beginning this October, when schools have to release a player within two days of being notified of their desire to transfer and they will be allowed to transfer to any school, even in the same conference...student athletes will have control of their destiny and not their coaches.