PDA

View Full Version : Emporia State Gives A&M a Scare

Angelo Roncalli
11-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Emporia State trailed 64-62 with 7:04 left on a DeAndre Townsend jumper before the #14 Texas A&M pulled away for an 85-73 Aggie win on Thursday in College Station, Texas. The exhibition marked the debut of Mark Turgeon as A&M coach.

http://www.ksn.com/sports/10963121.html

former1dog
11-01-2007, 08:36 PM
:eek: :pray: :(

Oh Crap!

we're doomed

Nevtelen
11-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Tough to say for sure from the fairly non-specific article, but it sounds like Emporia St shot a decent amount of 3s. We might get a sneak-peak at how good or bad the 3-pt D is going to be early.

hondo46
11-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Last year Emporia State roared out to a 7-0 lead over the Zags hitting lots of 3's they hung around longer than I liked.

J-Lo
11-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Doooooommed!!!!!

finechina2003
11-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Fantastic! Emporia State is not a cupcake and they will come to play. From their website:

HORNETS IN TOP 25
November 1, 2007--For the third time in the last four years the Emporia State men are in the top 25 in the first NABC Top 25 Poll of the year. However this is the first time the NABC has put out a preseason poll for Division II. The Hornets are ranked #23 in the NABC Poll.

ESU returns four of five starters from last year’s team that went 21-8 and advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the second time in four years. The Hornets are led by seniors DeAndre Townsend, a first-team All-MIAA and All-South Central Region pick at guard, and Wes Book, one of only two returning players to rank in the top ten of the MIAA in scoring and rebounding.

jim77
11-02-2007, 07:08 AM
So it looks like we'll need the 3point defensive lineup....Pargo,Downs,Ira, Larry,Heytvelt. We put Josh in the middle to guard the hoop.

former1dog
11-02-2007, 07:26 AM
So it looks like we'll need the 3point defensive lineup....Pargo,Downs,Ira, Larry,Heytvelt. We put Josh in the middle to guard the hoop.

I'm pretty sure Josh won't be playing in this game.

CDC84
11-02-2007, 07:35 AM
I was thinking about posting this next week but I'll do so now....

Remember that - especially in years when Gonzaga is playing in early season tournaments - Mark Few and his staff are notoriously known for keeping things close to the vest and not showing their hand. It's something that I have to remind myself of too. I will never forget when GU didn't look so brilliant in their first game versus Idaho back in 2005 that a lot of people expressed a lot of disappointment in the team, the Zags are overrated, etc. This was before the Maui Invitational. Needless to say, the Zags got to the Maui title game versus its best field ever, and they almost won it.

Exhibition games are what they are....they simply don't count. I expect the staff to put out all sorts of player combinations, defensive schemes, etc., that make little sense on the surface. Needless to say, if Gonzaga has to play without Josh, that will make things even more mysterious.

That being said, I would like to think that GU can keep the Emporia State game from getting as interesting as what took place in College Station last night.

El Voce
11-02-2007, 08:21 AM
I am going to wait for Monday to get my hate on for the Emporias.

Reborn
11-02-2007, 09:43 AM
:drool: I can hardly wait!!! :D

jim77
11-02-2007, 12:33 PM
They need to come out and totally control the game THEN they can start experimenting. This game may not count but, a loss could do a job on our heads....and our ranking. I would not assume a win.

gamagin
11-02-2007, 01:27 PM
your post reminded me that Ray G mentioned a few weeks ago concerning the early schedule and he singled out the the upcoming game 11/22 against western Kentucky U as not to be overlooked.

Perhaps hondo or el voce remember more.

The Hilltoppers' website indicates, imo, just why RayG is concerned.

They are to their league what we are to ours, which is to say: dominant & way ahead of the pack, in the preseason at least.

http://www.wkusports.com/news.cgi?article=5782&sports=1