PDA

View Full Version : Geno Crandall

LTownZag
07-05-2018, 09:02 AM
Nice Choice! Welcome to the Zag family.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhW1g8OWkAMlf-a.jpg

Zaglaw
07-05-2018, 09:03 AM
https://twitter.com/genocrandall?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eser p%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

cggonzaga
07-05-2018, 09:07 AM
Very good get. Will compete for starting spot.

slickguser
07-05-2018, 09:07 AM
Great choice Geno!

Not going to lie, I was really starting to think it would be too hard to give up the home town play time.... In the long run, I am sure he will love his decision. I am really looking forward to watching him contribute on this great team. Way to go Geno and GU staff!

Zagdawg
07-05-2018, 09:08 AM
Welcome to the Zag family!!!

gonstu
07-05-2018, 09:08 AM
Awesome.

ZagsObserver
07-05-2018, 09:10 AM
Great news. Competing for a championship banner.

primal23
07-05-2018, 09:12 AM
Welcome to the Zag family!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoZags
07-05-2018, 09:12 AM
Awesome news. Welcome Geno !!!

MDABE80
07-05-2018, 09:13 AM
It was the only choice that made sense. Coaches picked
A good one. Welcome
Aboard Geno!

thespywhozaggedme
07-05-2018, 09:15 AM
SWEET!!! Welcome Geno!!!

NotoriousZ
07-05-2018, 09:24 AM
:clap:

HenneZag
07-05-2018, 09:25 AM
Awesome!!! Welcome

CDC84
07-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Too early for beer, but a chance to get more beer after work.

madness
07-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Perfect backup Guard at both spots...spell Perk when necessary at PG...Guard rotation is now deeeeeep!

thespywhozaggedme
07-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Gopher fans visibly upset, understandably so. Some pretty harsh comments:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?82514-Geno-Crandall/page38

thespywhozaggedme
07-05-2018, 09:31 AM
Ton of respect for GC, he knew that he would be a starter for his hometown team, but chose to most likely be a super sub 6th man for us.

Zagdawg
07-05-2018, 09:32 AM
Gonzaga lands key grad transfer

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/07/05/gonzaga-commitment-geno-crandall-key-grad-transfer/

Zagceo
07-05-2018, 09:33 AM
Zero for Zero

welcome GC

look forward to hearing about scrimmages in Volkar/Kennel soon

thespywhozaggedme
07-05-2018, 09:38 AM
Very good get. Will compete for starting spot.

ugh

thespywhozaggedme
07-05-2018, 09:41 AM
Gonzaga lands key grad transfer

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/07/05/gonzaga-commitment-geno-crandall-key-grad-transfer/

Good article, thanks for posting. The depth on this team is silly.

cggonzaga
07-05-2018, 09:46 AM
Adds so much versatility to the team. Can play a quick, athletic 3 guard lineup that can disrupt and get in the paint or go bigger, more athletic while still being able to get up and down the court. Going to be a really fun team to watch this year. No shortage of go to guys. If we defend, the sky is the absolute limit!

cggonzaga
07-05-2018, 09:48 AM
ugh

You think a 5th year senior is transferring to a program where he isn’t going to compete for a starting job?

thespywhozaggedme
07-05-2018, 09:52 AM
You think a 5th year senior is transferring to a program where he isn’t going to compete for a starting job?

yes. That's why I have so much respect for him. he was a lock to start for the Gophers, here he'll be a super sub sixth man. Now, if Josh isn't 100% ready to go at seasons tip off, he will start in his stead, but if Perks is ready to go, GC will see plenty of minutes backing up him and Norvell.

Zagceo
07-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Good article, thanks for posting. The depth on this team is silly.

disagree....writer took cheap shots at Josh.

ZagaholicPodcast
07-05-2018, 09:58 AM
Gopher fans visibly upset, understandably so. Some pretty harsh comments:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?82514-Geno-Crandall/page38

Yeeeesssh. That's rough.

MontanaCoyote
07-05-2018, 09:58 AM
I am happier for him than I am for the Zags. I think his time at Gonzaga will prove to be a great lifetime investment for him, on the court, in the classroom, the family feeling of a smaller school, the friends he’ll make and the spotlight that will shine on him (and the Zags) as the season progresses, setting him up for a possible pro career.

I think he’ll get lots of playing time and help our other guards keep fresh legs. A real deal as the season takes its physical and mental toll.

Welcome, Geno!

doctorzag
07-05-2018, 09:59 AM
Ton of respect for GC, he knew that he would be a starter for his hometown team, but chose to most likely be a super sub 6th man for us.

He will start.

raise the zag
07-05-2018, 10:02 AM

Terrible article, plus already assumed he is a back-up. Not so fast and who really cares whether he starts or not...he will be playing significant PT. So will the other best players.

Geno lit us up for a reason. He is long, quick, can pass and shoot at high clip! Aggressive, agile, and will provide terrific versatility at the 1...and the 2.

Few likes Norvell at the 3, along with Rui, but given our rebounding woes at times, will need to play Rui at the 4 as well next season, even with Clarke mixing it up. Killian can't play the 5 for 30 mins per game, at least defensively. Of course we'll play Rui at the 3 on occasion, esp to exploit mis-matches, but will need him as a BIG for us too. I get the, "but his NBA position is this...". Well, as good as he is at the 3, and dominate, we still need him down low defensively with Norvell and Kispert rocking out rebounds, shooting, and slashing at the 3. Rui's best position is the 3, but our best TEAM is maybe not him there all game...

Also, we under-valued J3's ability to guard bigger dudes. His length, athleticism, and sneaky weight (235lbs) helped that. Remember, Clarke is 215lbs, Tillie is 220, and Rui is nearly 240lbs, so do the math defensively vs certain lineups. Norvell will still be playing a slashing wing role and spreading offense, along with more controlled perimeter at the 2, yet the 3 free's him up even more. Geno and Perkins will man the backcourt and shoot and distribute.

Mantua
07-05-2018, 10:07 AM

Yes he did! He apparently does little research and probably has no idea about Josh playing injured all last year.

I’m relieved and happy that Geno is not only going to contribute in a big way but also takes some pressure off the the rest of the team.

raise the zag
07-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Yes he did! He apparently does little research and probably has no idea about Josh playing injured all last year.

not to mention, all the TO issues were cleaned up by 2018...and had a 2:1 assist to TO avg in 3 NCAA games.

bartruff1
07-05-2018, 10:11 AM
"These guys are good"...….the coaches pull another rabbit out of their hat......the missing piece....

Mantua
07-05-2018, 10:25 AM
Now Foster and and Ayayi have time to adjust and Josh can continue to heal if he needs more time.

EEzag
07-05-2018, 10:25 AM
"These guys are good"...….the coaches pull another rabbit out of their hat......the missing piece....

One thing we can be pretty sure about: There are no false promises about starting and playing time. I wonder if this is an indication as to the state of Josh's shoulder rehab. I'll defer to others that have seen him play as to his ability to contribute.

Welcome Geno!

sittingon50
07-05-2018, 10:26 AM
:clap:

Goshzagit
07-05-2018, 10:27 AM
HUGE Congrats to Geno and Gonzaga! Match made in Spokane.

Had a feeling as Perkins and him became fast friends after battling all game in late December...he even had a picture of Perkins on his Twitter page this entire year. Fore shadow much?

As a Gopher season tix holder, was told MN was in 3rd place, which I posted here. No comments as most presumed the exact opposite. Also heard Xavier was the initial spot given his relationships, but we were neck and neck, and then meeting guys like NWG, McClellan, Sacre, and the current team last weekend put us over the top. Obviously our Top 5 status sold itself along with having a lifelong home in a 2nd City was appealing.

Returning to home to Minneapolis for the Final 4, perhaps?

Now...on to serious business. He still has a couple classes to finish before being eligible, he was more behind the the typical grad transfer. I believe he will complete the credits in time, more than motivated to do so.

Big get for us and for him. Adds the experience and depth needed esp come March and vs numerous Top-10 teams.

Geno is loose with the ball, as his 3.5 TO's per game are rather high, yet he has proven to be a good passer, shooter, defender when needed. He was also asked to score first for his team which lead to many forced TO's. Our system is very different than ND's ball control and shoot offense, so will take some time....

Big news today, plus we possibly got the best grad transfer defender of the entire group, not to go unmentioned.

MontanaCoyote
07-05-2018, 10:32 AM
I’m going to take issue with NBC’s statement that Geno’s decision isn’t a “ season changer “ for the Zags, won’t be a WNGoss. Maybe not a Nigel, but when you consider what Geno’s addition does for the Zags as a team, I think it adds a blanket of security, a “ totality” to the team that it needed to
really excel.

If not a “season changer,” a season securer.” .?

The only other player I’d like to see come on board would be one of those Florida State type guys who played maybe 8 minutes a game but scored a couple points and grabbed 4 rebounds.
But maybe again we already have that guy?

thespywhozaggedme
07-05-2018, 10:34 AM
He will start.

Until Josh is healthy, sure. But if JP is 100% healthy he's not gonna start over Perks, Norvell or Rui.

Radbooks
07-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Welcome, Geno!

Yahoo sports had a nice article:

Gonzaga cements itself as preseason top five team with addition of key grad transfer (https://sports.yahoo.com/gonzaga-cements-preseason-top-five-team-addition-key-grad-transfer-181136622.html)

ZagMan in Philly
07-05-2018, 10:42 AM
I am so excited for this coming season...

hockeyzag
07-05-2018, 10:42 AM
He will start.

Who else do you see in the starting lineup with Geno?

Zagdawg
07-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Gonzaga could climb in top 25 with addition of grad transfer guard Geno Crandall

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/gonzaga-grad-transfer-geno-crandall-north-dakota-point-guard-silas-melson-mark-few/1govvieb3wb0j1vovr6mzmwrdz?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

CDC84
07-05-2018, 10:47 AM
That is an unusually, badly worded article title because TSN had the Zags at #6 before they landed Geno (it would've been better to say "they could rise in the top 10") and considered them a national title threat before they landed Geno. The Zags, without question, will rise with Geno's signing as TSN's main concern with last year's NCAA team in the west region were its point guard issues (depth and other things) when facing super elite perimeter defenses like Michigan had.

thespywhozaggedme
07-05-2018, 10:48 AM
it seems like many of you guys/gals think he will start. I see him as a super sub ala Zach. But if he does start who do you guys seem him replacing?

Zagceo
07-05-2018, 10:55 AM
it seems like many of you guys/gals think he will start. I see him as a super sub ala Zach. But if he does start who do you guys seem him replacing?

its more about minutes played than being a starter in my opinion.

thespywhozaggedme
07-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Yeeeesssh. That's rough.

it gets worse on pages 39 and 40. They're upset, understood, I suppose.

thespywhozaggedme
07-05-2018, 10:58 AM
its more about minutes played than being a starter in my opinion.

yes, I agree 100%. I saw him playing a ton as a super sub, but many are saying he will start. I was just wondering over who.

23dpg
07-05-2018, 11:00 AM
I think he’ll be a sub who gets 20+ minutes a game.
If he starts, all the better. Let completion bring out the best in everyone.
Welcome Geno!

MileHigh
07-05-2018, 11:01 AM
starting 5 to start the year (assuming all healthy)

JP, GC, ZN, RH, KT....Clarke with 25 minutes a game off bench spelling KT, RH at forward spots. Kispert gets his minutes spelling the wings.
Few has always preferred 3 guard lineups and now he has that 3rd guard to make it work next season

hockeyzag
07-05-2018, 11:03 AM

If Geno starts that means Rui wouldn't, and that ain't gonna happen y'all.

Geno isn't starting over Perk, he isn't starting over Norvell, and if he's playing alongside those two that means either Rui, Tillie, or Clarke would have to come off the bench. Those are three of our strongest players (if what we've heard about Clarke in practice is true).

Few finds a way to get Rui to start. If it's at the 4 then Tillie starts at the 5 and Clarke comes off the bench. I just don't see that happening though.

Starting lineup:

Josh Perkins
Zach Norvell
Rui Hachimura
Brandon Clarke
Killian Tille

First off the bench:

Kispert
Crandall
Larsen
Petrusev

jazzdelmar
07-05-2018, 11:03 AM
Boy was I wrong-o. Color me ecstatic now. The missing piece.

HenneZag
07-05-2018, 11:07 AM
I think he’ll be a sub who gets 20+ minutes a game.
If he starts, all the better. Let completion bring out the best in everyone.
Welcome Geno!
This is what I see as well. He will get plenty of minutes that's no qs. Unless Perks is delayed to start the season I see Crandall coming off the bench. I just dont see how he will uproot Perks, ZN or Rui, not happening. Clarke will start as well, Tillie will start, so I cant think of a place he starts if everyone is healthy.

thespywhozaggedme
07-05-2018, 11:07 AM

Geno isn't starting over Perk, he isn't starting over Norvell, and if he's playing alongside those two that means either Rui, Tillie, or Clarke would have to come off the bench. Those are three of our strongest players (if what we've heard about Clarke in practice is true).

Few finds a way to get Rui to start. If it's at the 4 then Tillie starts at the 5 and Clarke comes off the bench. I just don't see that happening though.

Starting lineup:

Josh Perkins
Zach Norvell
Rui Hachimura
Brandon Clarke
Killian Tille

First off the bench:

Kispert
Crandall
Larsen
Petrusev

This is exactly how I saw it too, but apparently many posters think otherwise. Either way we are freakin' loaded.

23dpg
07-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Boy was I wrong-o. Color me ecstatic now. The missing piece.

I don’t quite understand your staunch negativity at times, but there is no denying your loyalty.

Great pickup for Gonzaga.

FTR, I had no idea on where he’d go. Just like BW. I only invest emotion once they ZagUp!

hockeyzag
07-05-2018, 11:13 AM
This is exactly how I saw it too, but apparently many posters think otherwise. Either way we are freakin' loaded.

True! But I agree, I want to hear from these posters about who's spot he's taking in the starting lineup.

Zagdawg
07-05-2018, 11:23 AM
https://www.spreaker.com/show/the-press-box-with-larry-weir

ZagsObserver
07-05-2018, 11:25 AM

Starting lineup:

Josh Perkins
Zach Norvell
Rui Hachimura
Brandon Clarke
Killian Tille

First off the bench:

Kispert
Crandall
Larsen
Petrusev

Switch kispert with Crandall and Ayayi in place of Petrusev (rs candidate?).

Either way, the coaches will figure it out. The goal of the entire team, regardless of role, will be a championship.

ZagNative
07-05-2018, 11:25 AM
From Twitter (https://twitter.com/2ReidTravis2/status/1014917487186579456):

Reid Travis
‏ @2ReidTravis2

Reid Travis Retweeted G-Muhneyy

Couldn’t be happier for my brother @genocrandall !!

maynard g krebs
07-05-2018, 11:28 AM

Yup. Dauster sounds like a moron. Still talking about Josh's largely fictional turnovers, ignoring his outstanding 2.5/1 a/to ratio.

I'm very excited to have Crandall, though.

23dpg
07-05-2018, 11:29 AM

“Liked”

CDC84
07-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Me thinks:

Geno
Perkins
Norvell
Hachimura
Clarke

I think GU has to start Geno at the point guard to see if they can get improvement out of the position, and if Josh feels more comfortable at the shooting guard which is where he had his best season as a Zag with Nigel at his side. They can always switch back.

Few will never bench Perkins to allow Rui to play small forward, so I expect Rui to start at PF with Clarke as the other starter.

That being said, I see Few using all sorts of lineups, and not always finishing with the same one. This might be his most versatile bunch ever.

Mr Vulture
07-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Is Larsen really going to take the next step? I personally think Petrusev ends up ahead of Larsen but would love to be wrong. In a perfect world, I'd like to see both Petrusev and Foster RS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cggonzaga
07-05-2018, 11:38 AM

JP, GC, ZN, RH, KT....Clarke with 25 minutes a game off bench spelling KT, RH at forward spots. Kispert gets his minutes spelling the wings.
Few has always preferred 3 guard lineups and now he has that 3rd guard to make it work next season

Been saying this for months mile. (Well with whichever guard committed or transferred in)

Somewhat agree CDC. Think Josh is still the point and I’d be surprised if Tillie didn’t start. That being said, the top 6 may all see over 25mpg.

cggonzaga
07-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Is Larsen really going to take the next step? I personally think Petrusev ends up ahead of Larsen but would love to be wrong. In a perfect world, I'd like to see both Petrusev and Foster RS.

I think he does. I’d be surprised if we saw the true freshmen this year. Would be mighty hard to break into this 10.

Perkins
Crandall
Norvell
Rui
Tillie
Clarke
Kispert
Jones
Larsen
Ayayi

MDABE80
07-05-2018, 12:08 PM
I think he does. I’d be surprised if we saw the true freshmen this year. Would be mighty hard to break into this 10.

Perkins
Crandall
Norvell
Rui
Tillie
Clarke
Kispert
Jones
Larsen
Ayayi

6 ft 9 in athletic guys is all you really need for bigs. We've been spoiled with the plethora of 6 ft 10 in kids or 7 footers. One thing is pretty obvious, few has assembled among the most versatile line ups in the country. Like nothing we've seen before really. Too bad Travis and his 'brother" didn't both come. Should make for a wild Maui:) I think me and the wife will get new "travelin" shoes.

EEzag
07-05-2018, 12:09 PM

Going to be hard to compare this team to past teams for Few's tendencies. We know that Rui and Tillie are probably going to start. Probably Zach and definitely Josh if healthy, so it's between Clarke who has a redshirt and Geno who doesn't. This will be interesting to say the least. These are Duke, UNC types of problems. Too much talent. Only one ball. Is Tillie fully healthy? How bout Josh?

Zagceo
07-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Going to be hard to compare this team to past teams for Few's tendencies. We know that Rui and Tillie are probably going to start. Probably Zach and definitely Josh if healthy, so it's between Clarke who has a redshirt and Geno who doesn't. This will be interesting to say the least. These are Duke, UNC types of problems. Too much talent. Only one ball. Is Tillie fully healthy? How bout Josh?

Tillie is healthy and Josh is on schedule per Meehan

Zagdawg
07-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Good problem to have -- so much talent the opposing teams wont know who to prepare for.

maynard g krebs
07-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Looks to me like a Perkins, Crandall, Norvell at the 1.2.3 to start, based on a long Zag/Few history. Rui hasn't demonstrated the perimeter game to play the 3 full time; plays like a classic college 4 at this point. I tend to think he and Tillie start in the frontcourt simply due to the fact that they're returners, and Clarke is the newcomer, as seniority in the system is usually the deciding factor when players are close in ability

thespywhozaggedme
07-05-2018, 12:27 PM

He used it to transfer in

ZagaholicPodcast
07-05-2018, 12:30 PM
Amazing to see how fast the sentiment of things has changed. Geno does a few things better than JP, that you don't want JP doing (because of the shoulder). GC's dribble-drive game is good, as is his finishing ability. Can't keep thinking about it as we would have in the past, in terms of offense. The point duties will "float" in the half court, as guards get more and more comfortable with Few's Motion offense. And as already been mentioned: JP played well as being primarily off-ball. Everything will work itself out. Starting 5's are going to be less and less relevant in certain circumstances (for college basketball). This is going to be one of those.

This team is deep, and athletic. Some fans are still going to go through some growing pains, as they watch this transformation occur in real time.

zagnut2012
07-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Why are we always so eager to name a starter? IMHO the player that deserves to start, will start. Competition breeds hunger to excel and succeed. I know we all like to be coach and speculate what will happen, but I for one don't care who starts or is the "Super 6th Man". Bottom line is that we are very talented and just got more talented and deeper. Excitement for this season just went up a notch! (if that's possible) Go Zags!

Zagnut 2012

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
Me thinks:

Geno
Perkins
Norvell
Hachimura
Clarke

I think GU has to start Geno at the point guard to see if they can get improvement out of the position, and if Josh feels more comfortable at the shooting guard which is where he had his best season as a Zag with Nigel at his side. They can always switch back.

Few will never bench Perkins to allow Rui to play small forward, so I expect Rui to start at PF with Clarke as the other starter.

That being said, I see Few using all sorts of lineups, and not always finishing with the same one. This might be his most versatile bunch ever.

Agree! Proven depth at the bigs is closest thing to a weakness this roster has. Tillie tends to disappear at times...being 6th man super sub may help him develop a consistent attack mode attitude. In Few We Trust.

ZagNative
07-05-2018, 12:50 PM
From twitter:

Ken Pomeroy
✔@kenpomeroy

On one hand, Gonzaga is getting the best player from the 239th-ranked team. On the other, they are getting a guy who almost engineered the single-biggest upset of the year against them.
11:00 AM - Jul 5, 2018 · Salt Lake City, UT

bdmiller7
07-05-2018, 01:23 PM
I see Perkins, Crandall, Norvell, Kispert, Hachimura, Clarke, and Tillie each getting between 20-30 mpg regardless of who starts. Hopefully 1 or 2 of Ayayi, Foster, Jones, Petrusev, or Larsen will be able to step up and earn more than spot minutes this year to round out the rotation.

Mantua
07-05-2018, 01:33 PM
Amazing to see how fast the sentiment of things has changed. Geno does a few things better than JP, that you don't want JP doing (because of the shoulder). GC's dribble-drive game is good, as is his finishing ability. Can't keep thinking about it as we would have in the past, in terms of offense. The point duties will "float" in the half court, as guards get more and more comfortable with Few's Motion offense. And as already been mentioned: JP played well as being primarily off-ball. Everything will work itself out. Starting 5's are going to be less and less relevant in certain circumstances (for college basketball). This is going to be one of those.

This team is deep, and athletic. Some fans are still going to go through some growing pains, as they watch this transformation occur in real time.

...And living through that settling down period for some fans will be an exercise in patience for the rest of us who don’t always agree on the nature of constructive criticism.

Time will tell who’s going to start. I think it’s safe to say that a few bench players will get some good minutes. We have a very good team!

webspinnre
07-05-2018, 03:30 PM
I think you may see more variance in starting lineups depending on matchups this year, given the level of flexibility our roster has. Plus, we're much better protected against potential injuries, which always crop up in one form or another. This makes me feel so much better about our overall depth. If he manages to beat out Zach, or plays so well that one of the bigs is pushed to the bench and we run three guards, what a great problem to have. Regardless of whether or not he starts, he should get plenty of minutes.

75Zag
07-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Welcome Geno! My favorite place on weekends at GU during 1971 - 1972 was Geno's Pizza Plant adjacent to University Foods on Hamilton. Doubt that you guys are related, but anybody named Geno deserves a high-five and a great pizza after the game!

Go Bulldogs!

kitzbuel
07-05-2018, 03:55 PM
disagree....writer took cheap shots at Josh.Agree. Josh being good enough isn't the question, he answered that in spades last season. The question is if Josh is healthy enough.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

doctorzag
07-05-2018, 04:04 PM
Who else do you see in the starting lineup with Geno?

Perkins and Clarke for sure. Then two of these three, Rui, Killian or Zack

bartruff1
07-05-2018, 04:05 PM
Everyone wants to play and everyone wants to start....he could start.... some others need to improve on their defense and be more consistent on offense.....I just saw him play that one game, but he was outstanding...….. and his career shooting numbers are notable...

Malastein
07-05-2018, 04:06 PM
Huge get for the Zags! Don’t care about who starts since the best Zag team to date had an NBA lottery pick coming off the bench as one of 8 reliable contributors! This team currently appears to have 7 bonafide contributors:

Perkins
Geno
Norvell
Rui
Kispert
Clarke
Tillie

It’d be really nice to see them add one more guy, or if one of the rest of the roster proves their ability to step up. Petrusev seems like he’s the most likely, but who knows...

kitzbuel
07-05-2018, 04:15 PM
Me thinks:

Geno
Perkins
Norvell
Hachimura
Clarke

That being said, I see Few using all sorts of lineups, and not always finishing with the same one. This might be his most versatile bunch ever.I don't know if that is a starting lineup or not, but I think we will see lots of it. Few loves two PGs on the floor.

I am super excited to see this! The depth and versatility make this team exceptional!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

MontanaCoyote
07-05-2018, 04:44 PM
I think you may see more variance in starting lineups depending on matchups this year, given the level of flexibility our roster has. Plus, we're much better protected against potential injuries, which always crop up in one form or another. This makes me feel so much better about our overall depth. If he manages to beat out Zach, or plays so well that one of the bigs is pushed to the bench and we run three guards, what a great problem to have. Regardless of whether or not he starts, he should get plenty of minutes.

When Karnowski signed in Europe, someone posted that European teams very seldom start the same 5 each game, they
tailor a starting five depending on the opposition and the matchups. This seems to make a lot of sense and certainly could
be a viable approach with all the fine players we have.

This also gets us away from all the who will/should start stuff and the implication that a starter is better than
the first or second guy off the bench. With this group of Zags, at least with our best 8, there needs to be no stigma
attached to a non starter or any second guessing. We need to adopt and adapt to that European model. Best of all concerned, players and fans alike.

bballbeachbum
07-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Yay :)
Welcome Geno
Rewatching this game now, Geno's defense. Exciting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNHz_1EldJ8

Zagceo
07-05-2018, 04:53 PM
Geno played 40+min 5 times last season....45 in our game

GonzaGAW
07-05-2018, 05:00 PM
welcome geno!
glad to have your on board, time will show this was a great decision.

- as to posters, really do not care who starts, who gets so much playing time, key is more depth, more flexibility, more talent. we all want that.

zagbeliever
07-05-2018, 05:43 PM
welcome geno!
glad to have your on board, time will show this was a great decision.

- as to posters, really do not care who starts, who gets so much playing time, key is more depth, more flexibility, more talent. we all want that.

This! Welcome Geno!

Corky
07-05-2018, 07:11 PM
Dandy!

zag67
07-05-2018, 07:41 PM
Do not care who starts. But what I would like to see is this team run other teams off the court. Every player plays as hard as they can for X minutes and then a replacement comes in and does the same. We have
Point guard - Perkins, Geno, Ayayi, Foster
Shooting - Zach, Geno,
Small forward - Rui, and Kispert
Power forward - Clarke and Tillie and Jones
Center - Clarke, Larsen, and freshman

That group is going to cause many mismatches and could run them so they make mistakes near the end of games

strikenowhere
07-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Do not care who starts. But what I would like to see is this team run other teams off the court. Every player plays as hard as they can for X minutes and then a replacement comes in and does the same. We have
Point guard - Perkins, Geno, Ayayi, Foster
Shooting - Zach, Geno,
Small forward - Rui, and Kispert
Power forward - Clarke and Tillie and Jones
Center - Clarke, Larsen, and freshman

That group is going to cause many mismatches and could run them so they make mistakes near the end of games

I think Crandall's arrival pretty much seals the deal that Foster redshirts barring injuries.

ZagzKrak
07-05-2018, 08:14 PM
I think Crandall's arrival pretty much seals the deal that Foster redshirts barring injuries.

Welcome Geno!!! Normally I'd agree but I think both Joel and Foster should see some time this year since they will have the ball next year.

Zagdawg
07-05-2018, 08:42 PM
"When it came time for me to make a decision, GU seemed like the natural fit for me that had everything I was looking for in my last year of college basketball: a winning program, great coaches with a proven track record for player development, a good group of guys and an excellent culture," Crandall said in a statement. "I'm excited to be a part of the Gonzaga family and look forward to leaving my mark by helping this team in whatever way I can to reach our goal of hanging a national championship banner in the Kennel."

https://www.gonzagabulletin.com/sports/article_35902456-8087-11e8-bcb0-8bda639da47a.html

Zagceo
07-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Dan made the comment “Crandall has been talked about as a sleeper as to his pro potential” during broadcast....

Geno rejected Zach at the rim made multiple acrobatic shots and drained the 3 to send game to OT....played the last 10 min of the game with 4 fouls....he has quick feet and hands...wow

Kong-Kool-Aid
07-05-2018, 10:38 PM
So much certainty he wasn’t coming.

Glad to have him.

El Zag
07-06-2018, 12:37 AM
Geno Crandall

Position: Guard
6-2, 170lb (188cm, 77kg)
Hometown: Minneapolis, MN
High School: DeLaSalle HS
School: North Dakota (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/north-dakota/)

Support us without the ads? Go Ad-Free. (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/my/?do=ad_free_browsing)

SUMMARY

2017-18
Career

G

PTS

TRB

AST

FG%

FG3%

FT%

eFG%

PER

WS

Crandall Overview (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/geno-crandall-1.html)
Game Logs Full Game Logs

2015-16 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/geno-crandall-1/gamelog/2016)
2016-17 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/geno-crandall-1/gamelog/2017)
2017-18 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/geno-crandall-1/gamelog/2018)

All Game Logs (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/geno-crandall-1/gamelog/)

Splits

2015-16 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/geno-crandall-1/splits/2016)
2016-17 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/geno-crandall-1/splits/2017)
2017-18 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/geno-crandall-1/splits/2018)
Career (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/geno-crandall-1/splits/)

2017-18 North Dakota 2017-18 North Dakota (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/north-dakota/2018.html)
(12-20, 8th place in conference (Big Sky (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-sky/2018.html))
Last Game: L 76-84 vs. Montana (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2018-03-08-15-montana.html)
Full Schedule and Results (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/north-dakota/2018-schedule.html)

Season

2015-16 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2016.html)

2016-17 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2017.html)

2017-18 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2018.html)

Career

Season
School
Conf
G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
2P
2PA
2P%
3P
3PA
3P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

SOS

2015-16 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2016.html)
North Dakota (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/north-dakota/2016.html)
Big Sky (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-sky/2016.html)

2016-17 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2017.html)
North Dakota (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/north-dakota/2017.html)
Big Sky (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-sky/2017.html)

2017-18 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2018.html)
North Dakota (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/north-dakota/2018.html)
Big Sky (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-sky/2018.html)

raise the zag
07-06-2018, 12:47 AM
Geno Crandall Position: Guard
6-2, 170lb (188cm, 77kg)
Hometown: Minneapolis, MN

Definitely not 6'2" unless Perkins and Silas are actually 6'1".

In our game last Dec, Geno was as tall, if not taller than both Perkins & Silas...whom are listed at 6'3".

Matter of fact his natural length caused serious trouble as he had 3 steals and prolly tipped or deflected 5 passes along entry or perimeter.

Zagger
07-06-2018, 03:59 AM
Welcome Geno Crandall! You're going to like it here :) and fit right in.

MileHigh
07-06-2018, 04:46 AM

Not sure how you surmised that 16-17 was his best year when it was undeniably his worst season as a Zag. 8pts, 3ssists. and 1.5/1 TO ratio. He was better the year before AND much better last year when he averaged 13 pts 5 assists and had a 2.5/1 TO ratio.

And Josh always has been much more comfortable playing pg.

strikenowhere
07-06-2018, 05:41 AM
Not sure how you surmised that 16-17 was his best year when it was undeniably his worst season as a Zag. 8pts, 3ssists. and 1.5/1 TO ratio. He was better the year before AND much better last year when he averaged 13 pts 5 assists and had a 2.5/1 TO ratio.

Agreed - Josh had a fantastic season last year; I see him taking the same role in the 2-pg system that NWG did back in 16-17.

Additionally, it struck just how much experience the top six potential starters have here:

Perkins - RS Senior
Crandall - Senior
Norvell - RS Sophomore
Clarke - RS Junior
Tillie - Junior
Hachimura - Junior

That is a lot of varsity experience there.

MontanaCoyote
07-06-2018, 06:22 AM
Expectations are now higher than ever. Elevating but a little scary too. Let us all hope and pray that injuries take a season long holiday.

bartruff1
07-06-2018, 06:39 AM
Crandall will bring some much needed defense to the team that lost two of it's best perimeter and interior defenders....I think the defense is suspect for a top tier team...

ZagNative
07-06-2018, 06:58 AM
Haven't seen this KREM 2 video posted yet.

https://www.krem.com/video/sports/gonzaga-bulldogs/crandall-transferring-to-gonzaga/293-8181048

(Going to miss the reporter, Evan Closky, who is moving on to a job in San Antonio. He and Darnay Tripp do a good job with Zag sports.)

cjm720
07-06-2018, 07:00 AM
Welcome!!!!

Kong-Kool-Aid
07-06-2018, 07:24 AM
We have 2 PGs when Perkins and Crandall are on the floor together. What this does is keeps teams honest and gives Perkins way more space to operate this year.
People jumping off of the Perkins bandwagon seem to be forgetting he is one of the best college point guards in the country.

thespywhozaggedme
07-06-2018, 08:09 AM
We have 2 PGs when Perkins and Crandall are on the floor together. What this does is keeps teams honest and gives Perkins way more space to operate this year.
People jumping off of the Perkins bandwagon seem to be forgetting he is one of the best college point guards in the country.

Who's doing that? If anything I've only seen support and defense of him, rightfully so.

basketballzag
07-06-2018, 08:55 AM
I feel sorry for the teams that will be playing the Zags this year because with the depth and talent the Zags now have at each position will create a physical exhaustion factor that we haven't seen before. This is going to kill teams in the second half. It also allows the Zags to play a true Eurostyle game by matching up the best players for each opponent this season so who cares about who starts its about displaying their respective play making ability throughout the season. This years team doesn't have starters it has players and that is a very important concept for the fans to understand because everyone of these guys will be playing in the professional ranks within the next two seasons and Gonzaga prepares them for that whether it be the NBA or Europe.

This is going to be an exciting season for the Zags!

Zagdawg
07-06-2018, 09:07 AM
I agree - I used to cringe each time Perkins picked up his 2nd foul early in the 1st half (lack of back up depth was an issue)-- but now we have the depth to handle it. Guys can be more aggressive on defense due to the depth.

raise the zag
07-06-2018, 09:24 AM
Guys can be more aggressive on defense due to the depth.

spot on

Zagdawg
07-06-2018, 09:46 AM
Crandall was getting his points against the other teams best defenders as he did not have the support/lineup the Zags do-- should help him with his overall percentages this year.

MontanaCoyote
07-06-2018, 09:50 AM
I feel sorry for the teams that will be playing the Zags this year because with the depth and talent the Zags now have at each position will create a physical exhaustion factor that we haven't seen before. This is going to kill teams in the second half. It also allows the Zags to play a true Eurostyle game by matching up the best players for each opponent this season so who cares about who starts its about displaying their respective play making ability throughout the season. This years team doesn't have starters it has players and that is a very important concept for the fans to understand because everyone of these guys will be playing in the professional ranks within the next two seasons and Gonzaga prepares them for that whether it be the NBA or Europe.

Noted the Eurostyle in an earlier post, so I think you are right. Makes sense with the stocked bench we have, means fresh legs as games wear on and, as noted by others, allows for more aggressive defense. The 2018-19 Zags. “The Perfect Storm.”

NotoriousZ
07-06-2018, 09:57 AM
Me thinks:

Geno
Perkins
Norvell
Hachimura
Clarke

I think that’s our best five. Tillie will still get a ton of minutes in this scenario, as will Kispert. Love it!

strikenowhere
07-06-2018, 10:02 AM
I agree - I used to cringe each time Perkins picked up his 2nd foul early in the 1st half (lack of back up depth was an issue)-- but now we have the depth to handle it. Guys can be more aggressive on defense due to the depth.

I think Norvell did an admirable job filling in at the point when required

ZagaholicPodcast
07-06-2018, 10:09 AM

Louder for the people in the back. Efficiency value should be the focus.

ZagaholicPodcast
07-06-2018, 10:11 AM
Crandall was getting his points against the other teams best defenders as he did not have the support/lineup the Zags do-- should help him with his overall percentages this year.

His dribble drive game will greatly benefit from having shooters that can spread the floor out. He may not be Nigel, but he will have a similar type of effect. At least from being dynamic with the ball.

Hoopaholic
07-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Welcome Geno to the zag family. Looking forward to seeing your play with some exceptional teammates

ZagNative
07-06-2018, 10:46 AM
Gary Parish and Matt Norlander talk about Geno's arrival and the Zags generally at the 31:09 mark of this podcast: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-podcast-should-kansas-or-kentucky-be-preseason-no-1/

Goshzagit
07-06-2018, 10:48 AM
His dribble drive game will greatly benefit from having shooters that can spread the floor out. He may not be Nigel, but he will have a similar type of effect. At least from being dynamic with the ball.

very willing passer, occasionally too willing which leads to many of his TO's (3.5 per game).

A solid to excellent scorer with the ball, hence his 50% FG, which is insane for a lead point guard at any level.

natural defender, although a bit lean (175lbs), seems like he tips/deflects every pass. good shooter, when feet are square its going in -- beautiful arc to his shot as well. Occasionally takes ill timed or poor shots from deep, not set, flying sideways, etc, will still launch it.

can be overrun by stronger guards.

very good with the ball, plus ball handling skills, and can finish. fearless player in the lane but can be physically thrown around or shut down vs bigger team.

slow first step, but uses angles well. can throw down two foot dunks but seems more athletic/agile than explosive. the opposite of Norvell, who isn't overly athletic/quick, but very explosive and strong.

has good vision on defense and offense, but does have a propensity for making simple passes look hard i.e. dribble drive and kick out as a behind the back no look pass when it could be just a chest pass.

seems to be a good teammate, high energy player, never backs down, stays engaged, and is a good defender even with his slight frame.

His scoring production will decrease, yet his assists could go up. his amazing FG%, who knows.

Good prospect, can handle the ball or play as a shooter off it.

Just what Dr. Gonzaga ordered this season.

tyra
07-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Rewatched the ND game. At one point Dickau said Geno may be "an under the radar NBA player." Yes, I'd say that was a good get. Season cannot come fast enough!

CDC84
07-06-2018, 01:49 PM
Very interesting that the KREM reporter said that Crandall is a very good defensive player. That is always a concern when you bring in a point guard. Can he guard the point of attack? Especially against the Kentucky and Kansas type teams. Josh is an okay defender when healthy, but he's not Silas, he's not Gary Bell.

What's crazy to think about is the versatility that Gonzaga is going to have with its bigs. Tillie, Rui and Clarke can all switch. I don't know much about Petrusev's defense, and freshmen big guys are slower to develop.

I expect the turnover issues with Geno to be sorted out not just through coaching, but also with having better players surrounding him. If you're the best player on a bad team, you're going to press the issue too much at times.

GoZags
07-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Rewatched the ND game. At one point Dickau said Geno may be "an under the radar NBA player." Yes, I'd say that was a good get. Season cannot come fast enough!

Bingo ...

CDC84
07-06-2018, 02:06 PM

Sometimes stats don't always tell the whole story. I feel Josh is a natural playmaking shooting guard who is at his most lethal with another point guard handling the ball most of the time (although improved, I still don't like his ball handling skills). It leads to more winning, and more importantly, and a better chance to beat the elite teams. He's just not quick enough, powerful enough, fast enough or dynamic enough to get in the lane with 6 ticks on the shot clock against a Kentucky style team to create for himself or others with the game on the line like Nigel was able to, and I wouldn't by any means call Nigel an elite athlete. Josh is also too quiet for a point guard. I feel the point guard needs to be one of the top two VOCAL leaders on the entire team for it to excel at its highest level.

Three major college basketball analysts picked GU to lose to Michigan in the elite 8 last season due to Josh. They felt Josh couldn't manage Michigan's great defensive guards. You have to get in the lane against the elite and create against tough defenses to win a national title. I like the idea of him focusing on what he does best, and that's shooting from distance, and being a shooting guard who can create for others better than the average shooting guard. And yes, playing a lot of PG as well so that neither Geno nor him get too tired.

I don't define a player's best years by their stats as much as some people. I base it on team success. The final 4 team was stacked. I have never seen Josh more comfortable as a player than when he had Nigel to take the stress off. Josh looked uncomfortable his entire freshman year to me. He was a changed player his sophomore year. Then he went through a period last year where I even questioned if he should be starting, and I wasn't alone on this on this board. Problem is, GU didn't have a decent backup. Fortunately, he got better and better near the season's end. So I don't agree with you on this at all.

MileHigh
07-06-2018, 02:22 PM
Sometimes stats don't always tell the whole story. I feel Josh is a natural playmaking shooting guard who is at his most lethal with another point guard handling the ball most of the time (although improved, I still don't like his ball handling skills). It leads to more winning and a better chance to beat the elite teams. He's just not quick enough, fast enough or dynamic enough to get in the lane with 6 ticks on the shot clock against a Kentucky style team to create for himself or others. It's not in him. It's like putting a round peg in a square hole. It's the single reason why at least three college basketball analysts picked GU to lose to Michigan in the elite 8 last season. They felt Josh couldn't manage Michigan's great defensive guards. You have to get in the lane against the elite and create against tough defenses to win a national title. I just don't feel Perkins is that guy, and he never will be. I like the idea of him focusing on his shooting and doing what he does best, and that's shooting from distance, and being a shooting guard who create for others better than the average shooting guard. And yes, playing a lot of PG as well so that neither Geno nor him get too tired.

I don't define a player's best years by their stats as much as some people. I base it on team success. I have never seen Josh more comfortable as a player than when he had Nigel to take the stress off. Josh looked uncomfortable his entire freshman year to me. He's was a changed player his sophomore year.

I guess you saw what you saw.......but Josh would tell you (and anyone else) that the 16-17 year was the toughest year of his career on the court due to the roll he had to play. The fact that they were winning helped ease the frustration, but make no mistake he was frustrated. He would tell you he is much more comfortable with the ball then standing on the wing waiting to catch and shoot.
Whether or not he is a "dynamic" enough pg to get Gonzaga to the promised land is a different debate entirely, but when you say he is most comfortable off the ball, that is simply not true.

CDC84
07-06-2018, 02:32 PM
I want to see what Geno can do first, but if we have to switch back to Josh, the only way I see Gonzaga winning the title is if Norvell and Hachimura become the best wings in college basketball who just terrorize the tournament, with Clarke scaring every player who gets near the rim. Along with some elite teams getting knocked out early.

This is the last I am going to say on this because there are some people on the board who don't like Josh as a player at any position, period, and I am not a part of that crowd. I think he is a very good college basketball player, and worthy of being a starter on a top 5 team. I don't want to keep hammering the same issue home to where it looks like I don't like him as a player. I just feel he has some weaknesses that threaten this team's chances of winning it all. And when you have a team with the power of winning it all, it starts getting down to very fine points. As we found out against North Carolina, the gap between finishing second and hoisting the trophy is razor thin.

Finito.

maynard g krebs
07-06-2018, 02:39 PM
I guess you saw what you saw.......but Josh would tell you (and anyone else) that the 16-17 year was the toughest year of his career on the court due to the roll he had to play. The fact that they were winning helped ease the frustration, but make no mistake he was frustrated. He would tell you he is much more comfortable with the ball then standing on the wing waiting to catch and shoot.
Whether or not he is a "dynamic" enough pg to get Gonzaga to the promised land is a different debate entirely, but when you say he is most comfortable off the ball, that is simply not true.

Agree. All one has to do is look at the box scores from the NCAA tourney. Josh completely disappeared offensively in 3 games; took a total of about 3 shots in those games and one assist a game. Totally out of the offensive flow. No chance to get in a rhythm offensively. NWG upped his fg attempts to almost 16 a game in the tourney, and if he wasn't going one on one trying to get to the hoop, the ball was going inside to Karno or Collins. Until the first half of the title game, Josh had been in an offensive funk for weeks, barely shooting, and his scoring average had been dropping. Due to the role he had to play that year, as MH said. I'd cite more details but ESPN game log feature for 2016-7 isn't working.

I seldom disagree w/ CDC, but just don't see where he's coming from on this one. No matter how good the team was, Josh wasn't near himself for most of that season.

RRZagFan
07-06-2018, 02:51 PM
Not sure interview has been posted

ZagNative
07-06-2018, 03:04 PM
Thanks for posting this! I'll look forward to hearing what the young man has to say.

ZagNative
07-06-2018, 03:26 PM
Wow! What an articulate, Impressive young man! I can see him rapidly becoming a favorite of the Spokane media. Pumped to have him!

cggonzaga
07-06-2018, 07:57 PM
Agree. All one has to do is look at the box scores from the NCAA tourney. Josh completely disappeared offensively in 3 games; took a total of about 3 shots in those games and one assist a game. Totally out of the offensive flow. No chance to get in a rhythm offensively. NWG upped his fg attempts to almost 16 a game in the tourney, and if he wasn't going one on one trying to get to the hoop, the ball was going inside to Karno or Collins. Until the first half of the title game, Josh had been in an offensive funk for weeks, barely shooting, and his scoring average had been dropping. Due to the role he had to play that year, as MH said. I'd cite more details but ESPN game log feature for 2016-7 isn't working.

I seldom disagree w/ CDC, but just don't see where he's coming from on this one. No matter how good the team was, Josh wasn't near himself for most of that season.

I usually, actually almost always, agree with CDC but not on this one. More than any other player last season, we struggled as a team when Josh didn’t play well. When Josh was aggressive and hunting his shot early last season, he was a top 30 player in college basketball. I think the injury wore on him as the season went on. I’m expecting a huge year from Josh.

soccerdud
07-06-2018, 07:59 PM
More than any other player last season, we struggled as a team when Josh didn’t play well. When Josh was aggressive and hunting his shot early last season, he was a top 30 player in college basketball. I think the injury wore on him as the season went on. I’m expecting a huge year from Josh.

agreed, cgg.

MontanaCoyote
07-06-2018, 08:57 PM
agreed, cgg.

I believe Geno will be good for Josh and that Josh will be good for Geno. Each will make the other better.

Mantua
07-06-2018, 09:02 PM
I hope this town goes out of their way to make Geno feel at home after hearing his description of sleepless nights over giving up his childhood dream. The Gophers needed and valued him. I loved his vision of what the Zags could be next year. If Few can widen the rotation we could play all out defense every game.

soccerdud
07-06-2018, 09:39 PM
I believe Geno will be good for Josh and that Josh will be good for Geno. Each will make the other better.

i agree with that as well. but i think that the team will still lean on josh as the primary ballhandler and offense-starter (inasmuch as we have one), with geno providing breaks and alternative looks. basically, the way we would have played last year, if silas had real PG skills. no shade intended @silas.

of the previous joshes, the josh we want is last year's josh (though i expect next year's josh to blow them all out of the water)... we just need to be able to keep him healthy and get him rest throughout the season. crandall lightens that load, so that josh can hopefully sustain the level he started out at last season for the whole year. combine that with crandall's playmaking abilities in his own right, his tenacious defense, and our versatility (and depth) at all positions... well, just damn.

also, corey kispert will be the best 7th man in the nation. it's ridiculous, really.

webspinnre
07-06-2018, 09:48 PM

Great interview. Makes me even more excited to have him on board.

ZagsGoZags
07-06-2018, 10:29 PM

it was already post #56 on page 3 of this thread,

If you haven't read the Gopher's message board, I recommend it..
a 5 STAR performance by GoZags who replied respectfully with facts and concise corrections to the many gopher fans who attempted to deride GU. GoZags scores 10, the dozen or so arguing with him, score 3. GUBoard superhero.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-07-2018, 03:47 AM
I’m rooting for Gonzaga vs Kentucky National Championship game in Minneapolis. Great storyline. Great ending for Geno & Reid Travis, high school teammates from Minneapolis. De La Salle won 3 consecutive state championships during their time then.

Malastein
07-07-2018, 04:04 AM
I’m hoping Geno is a bit like Derrick White who played great at a lower level school before becoming the star for CU, and then getting drafted by the Spurs. His stats should be better with better players.

Reborn
07-07-2018, 05:55 AM
Welcome Geno. You're going to love Gonzaga, and Zag basketball. K2 is one of the best places to play basketball in the country. I think our pep club is first or second in the country. You'll love the family atmosphere there. Once you put that Zag uniform on you're a Zag forever.

I've watch a few of your videos and am excited to see you play for the Zags, look forward to see what you bring to the team.

Go Zags!!!

bballbeachbum
07-07-2018, 07:25 AM
interesting turn on this thread

Josh was a STUD in the tournament, especially that first weekend, straight up, whatever the stats say. Only need to rewatch the games.
to remind, the issue in the tourney was Tillie who disappeared that first weekend before getting hurt for the Sweet 16 game and literally not being present. The entire team was forced to compensate, and not surprisingly, could only do so for so long. And Josh answered the bell.

Is having Geno a great pg/backcourt combo with Josh? Obviously, but not because Josh somehow can't do it, whether on O or on D. He's already proven he can at the PG position. Again, just rewatch the games, the evidence is there.

Josh's injury recovery is the issue now seems to me, not questions about his very versatile game, which has already kicked its critics in the teeth.

Let's go Geno!!!

ZagaholicPodcast
07-07-2018, 08:22 AM

Josh was a STUD in the tournament, especially that first weekend, straight up, whatever the stats say. Only need to rewatch the games.
to remind, the issue in the tourney was Tillie who disappeared that first weekend before getting hurt for the Sweet 16 game and literally not being present. The entire team was forced to compensate, and not surprisingly, could only do so for so long. And Josh answered the bell.

Is having Geno a great pg/backcourt combo with Josh? Obviously, but not because Josh somehow can't do it, whether on O or on D. He's already proven he can at the PG position. Again, just rewatch the games, the evidence is there.

Josh's injury recovery is the issue now seems to me, not questions about his very versatile game, which has already kicked its critics in the teeth.

Let's go Geno!!!

And you don't want Josh having to shoulder the primary load of dribble drive penetration because of that injury. Geno does that well. He passes well. When they are on the court at the same time, it will allow Josh to focus more on ball movement and his 3-pt game.

raise the zag
07-07-2018, 08:38 AM
And you don't want Josh having to shoulder the primary load of dribble drive penetration because of that injury. Geno does that well. He passes well. When they are on the court at the same time, it will allow Josh to focus more on ball movement and his 3-pt game.

i see what you did there.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-07-2018, 08:52 AM

Let's go Geno!!!

Outstanding post. Thank you! #GoPerks #GoZags

bballbeachbum
07-07-2018, 09:01 AM

Straight up Podcast, Josh hardly had to shoulder that primary function last year, come on man, so why would he have to this year? Zach and Rui often provided the dribble penetration, because they also can do it in their matchups. Now Geno can too...along with all of them, including Josh.

Yes, Josh can play off guard too, he's great at it, but not becasue he's deficient as a pg...that's the point.

Regarding penetration, Josh penetrates fine, he doesn't finish at the rim as well, but his dribble penetration is effective and he finishes in the lane and around it; remember his pullup jumper off the dribble vs. UNCG with under a minute to play while losing??? CLASSIC POINT GUARD PLAY, under pressure, when needed...deliverance. He created his own shot and drained it. No, it wasn't at the rim, but again, his dribble usage is very effective, his probe dribble creates tons of problems for the D. You remember how he showed that off for all last year, right?

as far as what I want Podcast, I think I'll tell you instead of the other way around, OK :)
I want people to recognize the truth in Josh's game: he played the PG position EXTREMELY WELL last year. Period. No caveats. Even with the injury. He did it for all to see.

I do not expect that to happen however, and no problem :)

and as I said earlier, the key is his injury recovery, not his game. His game is fine.

mgadfly
07-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Name %MIN ORtg %Poss %Shots Efg% TS% OR% DR% ARate TORate BLK% Stl% FC/40 FD/40 FTRate FT% 2p% 3p%
Josh Perkins 81.1 119.0 20.1 19.4 55.6 58.0 1.9 8.7 25.9 18.1 0.3 2.1 3.1 3.0 22.8 75.3 50.7 39.3
NWG (2017) 79.5 119.3 25.2 25.0 53.3 59.4 2.2 15.7 25.8 14.8 0.2 2.9 1.9 4.8 40.0 86.7 52.7 36.8
K. Pangos (15) 84.8 130.0 17.6 17.5 58.4 62.5 1.7 7.3 23.2 14.2 0.2 2.3 2.4 3.4 36.1 82.4 47.3 43.3
Stockton (14) 70.0 104.2 18.7 15.9 46.9 52.4 1.2 8.1 26.9 22.8 0.6 3.4 3.2 3.5 42.7 75.6 52.8 23.2
K. Pangos (13) 80.6 121.5 18.2 20.3 54.9 58.2 1.6 7.7 18.1 15.2 0.0 2.8 2.5 3.0 26.2 80.7 43.8 41.7
G. Crandall 82.5 105.1 26.5 23.6 56.4 60.4 3.6 12.6 21.7 21.0 0.3 3.5 3.8 5.5 48.5 73.5 53.5 41.4

STATS from Ken Pom from our recent PGs.

You can look up most of the definitions there. I'd say Perkins had a very good season. He still didn't equal NWG or Pangos' senior season, but it is head and shoulders above Stockton, young Pangos and young Perkins.

JPtheBeasta
07-07-2018, 09:29 AM

a 5 STAR performance by GoZags who replied respectfully with facts and concise corrections to the many gopher fans who attempted to deride GU. GoZags scores 10, the dozen or so arguing with him, score 3. GUBoard superhero.

Indeed. That was entertaining. It seems that people put on the same glasses when they look at GU as they do Duke. I think people hold GU to a ridiculous standard. We are in a different universe as them as far as recruiting clout/mystique. They made a comparison over there with the Zags and Arizona underachieving and GU isn’t even close to what Arizona has managed to (not) do with all of that 5-Star AAU talent they get. The Zags have over achieved with Zag Material talent consistently up to now and are just now making headway with high school talent that would otherwise be going to a blue blood school.

GoZags did a superb job setting the record straight— very entertaining. The Gopher fans seemed largely respectful of GU, but the handful of haters got straightened out.

jazzdelmar
07-07-2018, 09:40 AM
Time for the bestowal of a doctor of humane letters degree, honoris causa, on GoZags. Write the prez.

cjm720
07-07-2018, 09:45 AM
Good posts, beach. Agree 100%.

ZagsGoZags
07-07-2018, 02:58 PM
another good metric would be 5star recruits in the left column, and achievements in the Big Dance on the right column,
then
put that side by side with
AZ, UCLA, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc.

maynard g krebs
07-07-2018, 06:37 PM

Since I think I was the only one to reference Josh in the tourney, I assume you're referring to my post. If so, that was a response to Milehigh/CDC's discussion of the 2016-7 season, not last year.

In 2016-7, Josh was averaging around 11.5 ppg through the nonconference season, and then averaged just over 6 ppg in conference and postseason (last 24 games), and had 3 NCAA tourney games w/ no fg's, and 0-2 attempts w/ minutes in the 20's, and 1 apg in those.

bballbeachbum
07-07-2018, 06:57 PM
Since I think I was the only one to reference Josh in the tourney, I assume you're referring to my post. If so, that was a response to Milehigh/CDC's discussion of the 2016-7 season, not last year.

In 2016-7, Josh was averaging around 11.5 ppg through the nonconference season, and then averaged just over 6 ppg in conference and postseason (last 24 games), and had 3 NCAA tourney games w/ no fg's, and 0-2 attempts w/ minutes in the 20's, and 1 apg in those.

I was not referencing your post

Mantua
07-07-2018, 06:58 PM

GoZags was a hero to be sure. Logic isn’t getting through the Gopher’s pain and disappointment. We’ve all been there. Remember that they may feel a bit weird about their program, in the midst of chaos and scandal, landing Monson on the heels of GU’s breakthrough year. I’m sure they expected similar success, but instead watched Cinderella Gonzaga flourish under Mark Few in the national spotlight for almost two decades. My main concern is not what they think about Gonzaga, but that that Geno doesn’t suffer repercussions from their sense of loss. I have a feeling that Minneapolis will be rooting for the hometown kid in March.

JPtheBeasta
07-07-2018, 07:19 PM
GoZags was a hero to be sure. Logic isn’t getting through the Gopher’s pain and disappointment. We’ve all been there. Remember that they may feel a bit weird about their program, in the midst of chaos and scandal, landing Monson on the heels of GU’s breakthrough year. I’m sure they expected similar success, but instead watched Cinderella Gonzaga flourish under Mark Few in the national spotlight for almost two decades. My main concern is not what they think about Gonzaga, but that that Geno doesn’t suffer repercussions from their sense of loss. I have a feeling that Minneapolis will be rooting for the hometown kid in March.

I enjoyed your post.

willandi
07-07-2018, 07:27 PM

GoZags did great and din't even mention that Gonzaga's last Football season was better than Minnesota's last football season.

bballbeachbum
07-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Geno!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj4APlgvbQ4

bballbeachbum
07-08-2018, 12:40 PM
this is game highlights from one overtime game, gives an idea of Geno's impact over the course of the game on offense

just chilling on Sunday, sipping a cold one, watching videos, excited for this coming season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-9diIrw0Qc

JAGzag
07-08-2018, 02:39 PM
thanks, tells a story

at least for me, the Karno effect gets factored in somehow to the story as well with Pangos and NWG, his unique impact to everything in his time at GU. sweet video of it here from 2017 Tournament compilation. Enjoy :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwzz5mOQ5VM

All time great Zags, thanks for sharing!

MickMick
07-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Wonderful news!!

MontanaCoyote
07-08-2018, 08:12 PM
thanks, tells a story

at least for me, the Karno effect gets factored in somehow to the story as well with Pangos and NWG, his unique impact to everything in his time at GU. sweet video of it here from 2017 Tournament compilation. Enjoy :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwzz5mOQ5VM

Yes, thanks for posting “The Presence.” Will always miss him. 75 years old here. Seen a lot of players. Shem and Elgin Baylor my all time favorites. Both outstanding men of character. I admire both.

ZagzKrak
07-08-2018, 08:29 PM
PK was/is great. I think 20-30 years ago he is a Top 10 pick....to bad the game has changed. I miss the big bodies banging down low.

thespywhozaggedme
07-09-2018, 05:51 AM
Geno!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj4APlgvbQ4

That's an impressive reel. Thanks for sharing

EEzag
07-09-2018, 07:25 AM
That's an impressive reel. Thanks for sharing
20-30 years ago Shem is in the Big East or some Glam conference, prolly not the WCC.

On a JP note, Josh just started making better decisions. At some point in every top PG's career, the light bulb goes on. His went on last year and the team was better for it. 5 pistons, all pumping together can generate far more horsepower than if being mistimed. His inner-Stockton woke.

thespywhozaggedme
07-09-2018, 07:30 AM
20-30 years ago Shem is in the Big East or some Glam conference, prolly not the WCC.

On a JP note, Josh just started making better decisions. At some point in every top PG's career, the light bulb goes on. His went on last year and the team was better for it. 5 pistons, all pumping together can generate far more horsepower than if being mistimed. His inner-Stockton woke.

My comment and quote was about Geno's reel. Love Shem but this thread is about Geno Crandall.

hooter73
07-09-2018, 08:27 AM
Friggin Shem by the end was such a fun guy to watch play.

EEzag
07-09-2018, 08:32 AM
My comment and quote was about Geno's reel. Love Shem but this thread is about Geno Crandall.

My bad, I thought I had replied to an earlier post.

"this thread is about Geno Crandall" Really? Sorry I jumped on an already hijacked thread, but .....really? Didn't know you were a traffic cop in your spare time.

Zagceo
07-09-2018, 10:02 AM
Welcome Geno....you may have played in the kennel but it was not the Kennel because students were on break

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5ZmMQxcsqY

Reborn
07-09-2018, 10:40 AM
Now that has really gotten me excited for the basketball season to begin. Love the Student Body. There's no place like K2. They are almost as entertaining as the team....almost. I believe there will be a lot of craziness in K2 this season. I can hardly wait.

Zagceo
07-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Welcome Geno

VaBeachZAG
07-09-2018, 11:42 AM
Now that has really gotten me excited for the basketball season to begin. Love the Student Body. There's no place like K2. They are almost as entertaining as the team....almost. I believe there will be a lot of craziness in K2 this season. I can hardly wait.

It's a downright shame that most of the Kennel atmosphere during games is almost never experienced through the TV. TV viewers usually get poor or nonexistent wide viewing angles of the Kennel Club in action (typically just closeups of a few screaming faces). Also the play-by-play mike filters are set so high much of the crowd noise is suppressed for the TV viewers. ESPN game announcers always comment on the Kennel having one of the great game atmospheres, but it sure does not come through the TV! These deficiencies could be easily remedied, but GU administration seems oblivious - incredible.

Zagdawg
07-09-2018, 01:17 PM
DeLaSalle Elite

@DeLaSalleElite
6h6 hours ago
More
We had Geno Crandall (Gonzaga) and Jamar Diggs (Pro B France) on the Island today ��

They both were late bloomers coming into college... They worked on their craft and have reaped the benefits ����

Zagdawg
07-20-2018, 05:08 AM
https://twitter.com/TwinCitiesProAm/status/1020096180326420480

https://twitter.com/TwinCitiesProAm/status/1020083685469630464

Reborn
07-20-2018, 07:32 AM
I think you have to be in pretty good shape to be in the Kennel Club. I'm worn out just watchin it.

Zagdawg
07-30-2018, 04:15 PM
A few clips from the summer Pro Am league of Crandall

https://twitter.com/TwinCitiesProAm/status/1024071933128855552

https://twitter.com/TwinCitiesProAm/status/1024074591222882310

https://twitter.com/TwinCitiesProAm/status/1023251458483990529

https://twitter.com/TwinCitiesProAm/status/1023240204537278464

https://twitter.com/TwinCitiesProAm/status/1012133138200453120

https://twitter.com/TwinCitiesProAm/status/1009580508928446466

JAGzag
07-30-2018, 07:13 PM
This kid is EXACTLY what the Zags need this year!!

raise the zag
07-30-2018, 07:37 PM
This kid is EXACTLY what the Zags need this year!!

Legit.

hooter73
07-30-2018, 07:42 PM
wow.

cjm720
07-30-2018, 10:02 PM
That underhand pass was a beauty.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-31-2018, 02:24 AM
A few clips from the summer Pro Am league of Crandall

https://twitter.com/TwinCitiesProAm/status/1024071933128855552

https://twitter.com/TwinCitiesProAm/status/1024074591222882310

https://twitter.com/TwinCitiesProAm/status/1023251458483990529

https://twitter.com/TwinCitiesProAm/status/1023240204537278464

https://twitter.com/TwinCitiesProAm/status/1012133138200453120

https://twitter.com/TwinCitiesProAm/status/1009580508928446466

Thanks for posting these Zagdawg! Color me excited. Will be really interesting to see if Few starts Rui at the 3 or not if/when Perkins is 100% healthy.

tyra
07-31-2018, 06:42 AM
The bounce pass through traffic was ridiculous. This kid is going to play some minutes.

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 06:58 AM
He has way more pg skills than I thought. Here's a nutty scenario; have Josh take a medical redshirt this year (he would 100% qualify and get approved) and let geno run the show for his one year here. Of course that'll never happen but it would solve our pg dilemma for 2019.

hooter73
07-31-2018, 07:38 AM
I love Perkins' game for what it is but honestly I think Crandall is a little more of who we all thought Josh would be when he was originality recruited here. They are going to compliment each other really, really well.

cggonzaga
07-31-2018, 07:39 AM
I think it’s kind of funny some didn’t realize how good Geno was. He will most likely start and at the very least play major minutes. Geno may not have the same impact Goss did but it won’t be that far off.

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 07:58 AM
I think it’s kind of funny some didn’t realize how good Geno was. He will most likely start and at the very least play major minutes. Geno may not have the same impact Goss did but it won’t be that far off.

"most likely", over who? If JP isn't ready at the beginning of the season, then yes, but if Perks is 100% who is GC gonna start over? As far as as big of an impact as NWG, I'm inclined to agree.

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 07:58 AM
I love Perkins' game for what it is but honestly I think Crandall is a little more of who we all thought Josh would be when he was originality recruited here. They are going to compliment each other really, really well.

Being as objective as possible, I think GC is the better player of the two, it's just that simple.

PCZ_Frites
07-31-2018, 08:18 AM
He has way more pg skills than I thought. Here's a nutty scenario; have Josh take a medical redshirt this year (he would 100% qualify and get approved) and let geno run the show for his one year here. Of course that'll never happen but it would solve our pg dilemma for 2019.

I doubt he'd qualify. I recall reading in initial reports that he'd be cleared to play in October, and a medical redshirt can only be granted if you're not cleared to play at all during the season. Even if the October return was a generous one, a doctor will clear him to play before March.

jazzdelmar
07-31-2018, 08:18 AM
Being as objective as possible, I think GC is the better player of the two, it's just that simple.

An epiphany.

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 08:20 AM
An epiphany.

Did I miss the GC vs JP debate? lol

cggonzaga
07-31-2018, 08:20 AM
"most likely", over who? If JP isn't ready at the beginning of the season, then yes, but if Perks is 100% who is GC gonna start over? As far as as big of an impact as NWG, I'm inclined to agree.

Perkins
Crandall
Norvell
Rui
Clarke or Tillie

EEzag
07-31-2018, 08:22 AM

Geno sure dissected us. If Josh is healthy, maybe he starts over Tillie? Not sure about that. Over Clarke? Norvelle? In most years Geno starts every game at the PG or SG, but this year we have more talent as a whole than any team previous (at least on paper).

I see us going 3 deep at the PF/C which tells me 2 will start and one will come off the bench putting Geno in the SG roll. I think we will see a guard-small forward pool that will rotate Josh, Geno, Zach, Jones, and sometimes Rui.

Few wants to play Rui Tillie and Clarke as much as possible because they are our greatest advantage against elite opponents, but doesn't have the depth behind them to wear them out.

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 08:24 AM
Perkins
Crandall
Norvell
Rui
Clarke or Tillie

Ah yes, I forgot you're the lone poster here who doesn't think that all 3 of Rui, Tillie and Clarke will start. Odds are against you, but you could be right.

jazzdelmar
07-31-2018, 08:25 AM
Did I miss the GC vs JP debate? lol

Not at all. Your journey to this conclusion was, shall we say, somewhat more wending than some of us.

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 08:25 AM
Geno sure dissected us. If Josh is healthy, maybe he starts over Tillie? Not sure about that. Over Clarke? Norvelle? In most years Geno starts every game at the PG or SG, but this year we have more talent as a whole than any team previous (at least on paper).

I see us going 3 deep at the PF/C which tells me 2 will start and one will come off the bench putting Geno in the SG roll. I think we will see a guard-small forward pool that will rotate Josh, Geno, Zach, Jones, and sometimes Rui.

Few wants to play Rui Tillie and Clarke as much as possible because they are our greatest advantage against elite opponents, but doesn't have the depth behind them to wear them out.

I see GC as the 6th man super sub, backing up both JP and ZN.

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 08:26 AM
Not at all. Your journey to this conclusion was, shall we say, somewhat more wending than some of us.

You're post contradicts itself. I'm specifically talking about GC vs Perks. Can you show me the link where this specific debate has already taken place?

CDC84
07-31-2018, 09:35 AM
There is also a GC WITH Perks debate.

That combo I feel is going to be seen on the court more than many think. I feel that way more now than ever before.

cggonzaga
07-31-2018, 09:39 AM
Ah yes, I forgot you're the lone poster here who doesn't think that all 3 of Rui, Tillie and Clarke will start. Odds are against you, but you could be right.

Don’t believe I’m the only one that believes this at all. Few plays 3 guard lineups.

thespywhozaggedme
07-31-2018, 09:40 AM
There is also a GC WITH Perks debate.

That combo I feel is going to be seen on the court more than many think. I feel that way more now than ever before.

For sure, but that keeps on of Zach, Rui, Tillie or Clarke off of the court. Can we petition the NCAA to start 6 players this season?

Chicken Ball
07-31-2018, 09:49 AM
This is what we call a good problem to have.

hooter73
07-31-2018, 09:50 AM
Stockton and Pangos, Perkins and NWG, two "point guards" at once has worked great for us and we will definitely be seeing it. Crandall might end up in the Zach Collin's roll but I doubt it. Zach was a game changer but foul prone which contributed to his minutes per game as much as the part where he was one of four or five bigs. Crandall has the ability and the experience to be on the court a lot more.

Rui doesn't have the outside shooting of a small forward yet. At this point Tillie has a better chance of playing on the wing than Rui does.

NotoriousZ
07-31-2018, 10:28 AM

I also think the three guards will start (unless Perkins isn’t 100%)

STARTERS:
Crandall
Perkins
Norvell
Rui
Clarke

BENCH (Starter minutes):
Tillie
Kispert

BENCH (less minutes):
Petrusev
Ayai

Spot minutes for everyone else. Love Tillie’s game, but the Clarke’s rebounding and defense will be key. Larson is still a question mark until we see him on the floor again.

PFzag
07-31-2018, 11:02 AM

STARTERS:
Crandall
Perkins
Norvell
Rui
Clarke

BENCH (Starter minutes):
Tillie
Kispert

BENCH (less minutes):
Petrusev
Ayai

Spot minutes for everyone else. Love Tillie’s game, but the Clarke’s rebounding and defense will be key. Larson is still a question mark until we see him on the floor again.

This is how I see it as well, but think Tillie will probably start over Clarke. Rui, Tillie, and Clarke will all take the lion's share of the front court minutes. Petrusev maybe forces coach's hand with his production and gets good minutes.

JPtheBeasta
07-31-2018, 11:48 AM
This is how I see it as well, but think Tillie will probably start over Clarke. Rui, Tillie, and Clarke will all take the lion's share of the front court minutes. Petrusev maybe forces coach's hand with his production and gets good minutes.

What a nice problem to have. It’s been hard to wait for the season to start. Having 3 bigs who can stretch the floor is a nice luxury.

ZagzKrak
07-31-2018, 12:13 PM
Let's just do full team subs!!

Starters:
Perkins
Norvell
Rui
Tillie
Clark

2nd team subs:
Crandall
Ayai/Foster (whoever works for the time)
Kispert
Petrusev
Larson

That's two pretty darn good line ups there...could certainly wear some teams down.

ZagsObserver
07-31-2018, 12:19 PM
Let's just do full team subs!!

Starters:
Perkins
Norvell
Rui
Tillie
Clark

2nd team subs:
Crandall
Ayai/Foster (whoever works for the time)
Kispert
Petrusev
Larson

That's two pretty darn good line ups there...could certainly wear some teams down.

Let’s take a pause here and not set ourselves up for unnecessary disappointment.

Crandall is the only guy on your proposed second team that will get starter minutes. Kispert could also get good minutes.

Foster should redshirt. Not ready. Ayayi is still developing. Larsen will see spot minutes. The book is open on Petrusev.

ZagzKrak
07-31-2018, 12:34 PM
I was leaning more towards joking around but I do think Ayayi and Foster should get some minutes this year...JP and Geno are both gone after this year so we better see what we got. Kispert was starting last year til the ankle injury...lets hope he is all healed up and ready to bring it again. I feel the same about Larson and Petrusev....Rui and Tillie are probably gone after this year...better see what we have.

LouisianaZag
07-31-2018, 12:36 PM
Let’s take a pause here and not set ourselves up for unnecessary disappointment.

Crandall is the only guy on your proposed second team that will get starter minutes. Kispert could also get good minutes.

Foster should redshirt. Not ready. Ayayi is still developing. Larsen will see spot minutes. The book is open on Petrusev.

Well even if one might be getting ahead of himself it sure is fun just to play with line-ups and subs for next season. I surely hope the young posts develop enough to be in as a set like Collins and Tillie did in 16-17. Crandall and Kispert off the bench should be an awesome thing to watch. I just cant wait.

Reborn
07-31-2018, 12:53 PM
I want to see what Geno can do first, but if we have to switch back to Josh, the only way I see Gonzaga winning the title is if Norvell and Hachimura become the best wings in college basketball who just terrorize the tournament, with Clarke scaring every player who gets near the rim. Along with some elite teams getting knocked out early.

This is the last I am going to say on this because there are some people on the board who don't like Josh as a player at any position, period, and I am not a part of that crowd. I think he is a very good college basketball player, and worthy of being a starter on a top 5 team. I don't want to keep hammering the same issue home to where it looks like I don't like him as a player. I just feel he has some weaknesses that threaten this team's chances of winning it all. And when you have a team with the power of winning it all, it starts getting down to very fine points. As we found out against North Carolina, the gap between finishing second and hoisting the trophy is razor thin.

Finito.

Yeah! Like NWG getting that blister on his shooting hand the night before. OR tweeking his ankle when he was forced to go out of bounds.

ZagsObserver
07-31-2018, 12:57 PM
Well even if one might be getting ahead of himself it sure is fun just to play with line-ups and subs for next season. I surely hope the young posts develop enough to be in as a set like Collins and Tillie did in 16-17. Crandall and Kispert off the bench should be an awesome thing to watch. I just cant wait.

Fair enough. I was just cautioning against irrational exuberance which can lead to disappointment and unfair expectations.

EEzag
07-31-2018, 01:00 PM
Yeah! Like NWG getting that blister on his shooting hand the night before. OR tweeking his ankle when he was forced to go out of bounds.

Seems like a lot to ask from a kid to be a guard in this offense without a redshirt year to pick things up. I don't know enough about Geno's previous teams' offense to tell if he'll just slip in. Maybe he will. I will agree that Geno's game lends itself more towards penetration, so the Josh and Geno show could get a lot of run.

Bogozags
07-31-2018, 01:01 PM
Stockton and Pangos, Perkins and NWG, two "point guards" at once has worked great for us and we will definitely be seeing it. Crandall might end up in the Zach Collin's roll but I doubt it. Zach was a game changer but foul prone which contributed to his minutes per game as much as the part where he was one of four or five bigs. Crandall has the ability and the experience to be on the court a lot more.

Rui doesn't have the outside shooting of a small forward yet. At this point Tillie has a better chance of playing on the wing than Rui does.

I sure hope that you are entirely wrong but then again that might be a blessing for the 2019-20 season to possibly have him back for his senior year. Rui had pretty much one thing to master this off season and that was to learn to shoot the 3-ball as that will make him imo, a top five lottery pick and millions over his life time. If he has learned that skill, then I feel confident he will start at the SF, because he would be the most difficult player to defend at that position. As an SF, his physical traits will be over whelming for most all SF's that are defending him.

Coach Few does like to play three guards, but with Rui's ball handling abilities he could easily slide into that position and then be a total mismatch for opposing teams...Coach Few also toyed with starting KW, PK and DS but that scenario went down the drain with KW unable to guard SF's...I think he will try starting Rui, Tillie and Clarke to this season to maximize the mismatches that line up presents for opponents.

IMO Rui and his 3-pt shot are one of the keys to making a repeat to the FF.

Bogozags
07-31-2018, 01:21 PM
I want to see what Geno can do first, but if we have to switch back to Josh, the only way I see Gonzaga winning the title is if Norvell and Hachimura become the best wings in college basketball who just terrorize the tournament...Finito.

I remember a few years ago about two players that played to UT and were called the Ernie and Bernie Show (circa 1978)...one was a SG and the other an SF and they were really tough to handle...both extremely gifted and could shoot lights out...

Maybe a few of you remember these two Ernie Grunfeld and Bernard King...UT only had these two players so they didn't advance very far in the Dance but GU has lots of talent around our two Snacks and Rui to keep defensive pressure at bay...

It will be interesting to watch them play this season, especially if Rui can light-it-up from behind the arc...

hooter73
07-31-2018, 01:24 PM
Hate the thread drift but love the conversation. In the games and stats I saw from Rui this summer, he has not added the three ball yet. Now his international play and use is very different than college ball, but I didnt see it. Rui does have the handle, or has good enough handling to play as the small forward, but without even a stand still set shot, I just dont see it. Tillie has the outside portion, but his handling isnt quite up to par, plus, frankly, he disappears.

I keep forgetting that we will only have Crandall for one year. I bet he knows it quite well though and is going to make the most of it.

Bogozags
07-31-2018, 01:32 PM
Hate the thread drift but love the conversation. In the games and stats I saw from Rui this summer, he has not added the three ball yet. Now his international play and use is very different than college ball, but I didnt see it. Rui does have the handle, or has good enough handling to play as the small forward, but without even a stand still set shot, I just dont see it. Tillie has the outside portion, but his handling isnt quite up to par, plus, frankly, he disappears.

I keep forgetting that we will only have Crandall for one year. I bet he knows it quite well though and is going to make the most of it.

I remember last summer saying JWIII just needed to work on his shooting mechanics and he would be a really dominant player, well he didn't and that's why IMO he isn't a realistic option for the NBA until he learns how to shoot!

If Rui did work on his 3-ball shooting then shame on him because as you say, his handles are good enough to play and his physical size is over-whelming but that shot is a must...imo for him to be able to be a dominant SF

bballbeachbum
07-31-2018, 01:38 PM
Seems like a lot to ask from a kid to be a guard in this offense without a redshirt year to pick things up. I don't know enough about Geno's previous teams' offense to tell if he'll just slip in. Maybe he will. I will agree that Geno's game lends itself more towards penetration, so the Josh and Geno show could get a lot of run.

makes sense to me, have thought the same things.

anyway, different players, great to have as compliments, both effective, Josh and Geno. Didn't Josh go off in that UND game too, in the 2nd half in that game, when it was really needed?
the backcourt/wings look deep in this Zags team, as long as Josh is healthy.

Tillie...will he be a power in the ncaa tournament, assuming the Zags make it, or repeat his awol performance of last season in the tournament? I'm not talking about the hip injury, that was unfortunate, but before the injury. Regarding the razor thin line of advancing or not, it becomes a canyon if repeated.

I'm just glad Killian doesn't get harshly regarded for that like others do here on the boards even after they come through!

season can't come soon enough

bballbeachbum
07-31-2018, 01:44 PM
I remember last summer saying JWIII just needed to work on his shooting mechanics and he would be a really dominant player, well he didn't and that's why IMO he isn't a realistic option for the NBA until he learns how to shoot!

If Rui did work on his 3-ball shooting then shame on him because as you say, his handles are good enough to play and his physical size is over-whelming but that shot is a must...imo for him to be able to be a dominant SF

interestingly, J3 was a really dominant college player without the shot. And didn't Rui arrive with a 3 point shot? He hasn't shot it well at Gonzaga yet, but seemed to me he wasn't looking for it either. I'd bet we're able to see what his mind set on the 3 point shot is very early in the season, and I expect him to come out firing and looking for that shot. we'll see

cggonzaga
07-31-2018, 02:01 PM

STARTERS:
Crandall
Perkins
Norvell
Rui
Clarke

BENCH (Starter minutes):
Tillie
Kispert

BENCH (less minutes):
Petrusev
Ayai

You’re forgetting Jones.

Mr Vulture
07-31-2018, 02:06 PM
You’re forgetting Jones.

Starters: Perkins, Crandall, Norvell, Tillie, and Clarke
Bench (big minutes): Rui and Kispert
Bench (rotational minutes): Petrusev and Ayayi
Bench (limited role): Larsen and Jones
RS: Foster

My thinking on Rui off the bench is to protect him from foul trouble. I really expect a timeshare with Tillie/Clarke/Rui where they all play about the same anyway. Similarly we could have times where Rui plays the 3 and Kispert plays the 2 if we want to go big.

sittingon50
07-31-2018, 02:18 PM
interestingly, J3 was a really dominant college player without the shot. And didn't Rui arrive with a 3 point shot? He hasn't shot it well at Gonzaga yet, but seemed to me he wasn't looking for it either. I'd bet we're able to see what his mind set on the 3 point shot is very early in the season, and I expect him to come out firing and looking for that shot. we'll see

I'm not so sure, bbb. You'll have Perkins, Crandall, Norvell, Kispert & Tillie all as 3-ball threats. Not sure I see the opportunities for Rui this season.

cggonzaga
07-31-2018, 03:11 PM
Starters: Perkins, Crandall, Norvell, Tillie, and Clarke
Bench (big minutes): Rui and Kispert
Bench (rotational minutes): Petrusev and Ayayi
Bench (limited role): Larsen and Jones
RS: Foster

My thinking on Rui off the bench is to protect him from foul trouble. I really expect a timeshare with Tillie/Clarke/Rui where they all play about the same anyway. Similarly we could have times where Rui plays the 3 and Kispert plays the 2 if we want to go big.

Not sure there is any way Rui doesn’t start but we’ll see. I would also flip your rotational and limited categories.

JPtheBeasta
07-31-2018, 03:40 PM

I personally think Rui has good mechanics on his shot but needs to get just a little more loft. It’s pretty soft but too many hit front iron and rattle around. That should be pretty easy to correct. JW3 has Charles Barkley golf swing level stuff to fix (ok, maybe not that bad— I’ll go with Tim Tebow football throwing).

bballbeachbum
07-31-2018, 03:56 PM
I'm not so sure, bbb. You'll have Perkins, Crandall, Norvell, Kispert & Tillie all as 3-ball threats. Not sure I see the opportunities for Rui this season.

that's some firepower! I see your point sittingon50, a nice situation too. we'll see.

whenever the Zags look inside for a touch, Rui will be that guy plenty for sure, he's great in that 12-15 foot area when he can catch and face with the dribble/pullup threat. There's also Tillie and Clarke for that inside touch work, so can also see Rui playing the wing opposite Zach or Geno for example, being open weakside for catch and shoots off the penetration; think we'll see Rui on the wing plenty too.

here's video of Rui at the FIBA U19s last summer showing off all of his game. His faceup game is well highlighted in it, sweet pullup game, gets to the rim, lots from the wing and top of the key/FT line, also 3 balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD7aHMQR5b0

DixieZag
07-31-2018, 04:06 PM
What was the name of that 18 year old that our season was riding on until he decided to go elsewhere?

Never mind.

Give me an experienced, "work-my-rear-through-the Big-Sky" Senior who nearly beat us himself as my "one year player to fill out the roster"player any day.

Welcome, Geno. You made the right decision.

And, for the love of god, can we perhaps discuss all the good scenarios this affords us - like the luxury of allowing Josh time off the ball IF THAT IS HELPFUL, and allowing us to go 3 guards - and 3 very very very good guards at that, and be big across the back line, just get Josh healthy and everything will work itself out. I cannot believe how quickly people forget how fast this team looked VERY average with anyone BUT JP at the point last year, and he was injured!

Last, perhaps it is Tillie who should be coming off the bench? He is the one who has the consistency issues, perhaps all he needs is to "see" the game for a bit before entering. We need WCC Tourney Tillie, not NCAA tourney Tillie if we're going to go far.

Who cares! There will be lots of ball to play and the best 5 will be in the game at the end with the score close. Welcome, Geno.

bballbeachbum
07-31-2018, 04:11 PM
What was the name of that 18 year old that our season was riding on until he decided to go elsewhere?

Never mind.

Give me an experienced, "work-my-rear-through-the Big-Sky" Senior who nearly beat us himself as my "one year player to fill out the roster"player any day.

And, for the love of god, can we perhaps discuss all the good scenarios this affords us - like the luxury of allowing Josh time off the ball IF THAT IS HELPFUL, and allowing us to go 3 guards - and 3 very very very good guards at that, and be big across the back line, just get Josh healthy and everything will work itself out. I cannot believe how quickly people forget how fast this team looked VERY average with anyone BUT JP at the point last year, and he was injured!

Last, perhaps it is Tillie who should be coming off the bench? He is the one who has the consistency issues, perhaps all he needs is to "see" the game for a bit before entering. We need WCC Tourney Tillie, not NCAA tourney Tillie if we're going to go far.

Who cares! There will be lots of ball to play and the best 5 will be in the game at the end with the score close. Welcome, Geno.

:cheers:

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-31-2018, 04:36 PM

Never mind.

:000tens:

MDABE80
07-31-2018, 05:09 PM
It's a top 6 or
7 that could with the title! Yes the big one!

raise the zag
07-31-2018, 05:17 PM

Never mind.

Post of the Summer.

23dpg
07-31-2018, 06:36 PM
Post of the Summer.

Agree. Best post I’ve read in months. Well done Dixie. You contributed to the prevailing conversation while concurrently pulling the subject back on topic. Then you topped it off with a dash of (un)common sense.

GoZags
07-31-2018, 06:48 PM

Never mind.

Dix. Da. Man.

GoZags
07-31-2018, 06:52 PM
..... Kispert was starting last year til the ankle injury...lets hope he is all healed up and ready to bring it again.....

He is. (smile)

NotoriousZ
07-31-2018, 06:59 PM
He is. (smile)

Ah....finally getting our scrimmage report. Keep it coming!

Mantua
08-01-2018, 11:25 AM

Never mind.

Thanks for cutting through it all Dix. Man, can GC, with or without the ball, cut through the defense!

Zagceo
08-31-2018, 11:59 AM
hope its sooner rather than later