PDA

View Full Version : Kai Sotto's dad says GU has offered

thespywhozaggedme
09-04-2017, 08:33 AM
So I'm killing some time reading some international basketball forums and I came across this kid. Apparently he is the talk of the entire nation because Philippines is basketball crazy and he's the first legit seven footer at only 15 years old and is dominating youth competitions apparently, but when you are 7 foot 15-year-old and Asian you should be. LOL He's very athletic and agile and his body is almost identical to Zach Collins. Apparently he's been training in Vegas the past two summers but has yet to come over for time and finish his last two years of high school in the states. There is a little blurb about Gonzaga on page 28 of the thread about him but nothing else. And the videos it's hard to glean anything because just like Ruis videos he is so much bigger than everyone else on the court. Anyway I just thought it was worth mentioning because Tommy is world-famous for scouring entire globe for international talent and this kid seems to be the next pics information, plus he speaks English in the Philippines is the largest Catholic country in the world.

http://www.interbasket.net/forums/showthread.php?29899-The-Kai-Sotto-Thread/page33

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wGSnF6Qim3o

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6GkMcrl0xJc

Zags_Fanatic
09-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Picking up Kamaka Hepa could pay huge dividends here as well if he decides to play for their national team. I haven't heard anything about interest on his end but I know the basketball community over there was pretty excited about the possibility.

MDABE80
09-04-2017, 11:04 AM
I want a 7 ft 1 in 290 lb kid. Know of any??

Coach Crazy
09-04-2017, 11:09 AM
I've never seen a kid that tall and that young, be that coordinated. Impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thespywhozaggedme
09-04-2017, 11:57 AM
I've never seen a kid that tall and that young, be that coordinated. Impressive.

Yeah, good call. That's what stood out to me is that he is not gangly or awkward at all, he runs up and down the court like a normal kid and they said he's probably going to top out at about 7'2. Supposedly he's trying to pattern his game after Porzingis, the kid has huge upside. I'm sure Tommy knows about him. Just out of curiosity does anyone know if it would be an NCAA violation to bring them over and play for G prep with the intent of having him segue right into GU when he graduates? Thanks

Mantua
09-04-2017, 02:00 PM
I want a 7 ft 1 in 290 lb kid. Know of any??

He doesn't look like he weighs 290.

MDABE80
09-04-2017, 02:29 PM
Yeah, good call. That's what stood out to me is that he is not gangly or awkward at all, he runs up and down the court like a normal kid and they said he's probably going to top out at about 7'2. Supposedly he's trying to pattern his game after Porzingis, the kid has huge upside. I'm sure Tommy knows about him. Just out of curiosity does anyone know if it would be an NCAA violation to bring them over and play for G prep with the intent of having him segue right into GU when he graduates? Thanks
No penalty I know of.

thespywhozaggedme
09-04-2017, 03:37 PM
No penalty I know of.

Cool, thanks. I wonder why we have yet to do that; bring some top-notch Euro kids over to complete their high school at prep and smoothly transition right into GU.

maynard g krebs
09-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Seems to me that most of the Euro junior players are playing better comp than they would be in the GSL. Sabonis was playing v Spain's pros,for example.

Using G Prep as a place for player development might work if they got a kid like Ravet (sp?) to transfer in, but he plays for his dad.

Metro league is the only place in Wa. that kids move to for basketball.

thespywhozaggedme
09-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Seems to me that most of the Euro junior players are playing better comp than they would be in the GSL. Sabonis was playing v Spain's pros,for example.

Using G Prep as a place for player development might work if they got a kid like Ravet (sp?) to transfer in, but he plays for his dad.

Metro league is the only place in Wa. that kids move to for basketball.

This kid is in the Philippines though where the junior competition is not nearly as good as that in Europe. He's been coming over the last two years during the summer training in Vegas for a few weeks and in the thread that I posted there's talk of him coming over to the states and finishing up high school like Kobe Paras did in Los Angeles.

kitzbuel
09-04-2017, 04:51 PM
If I remember correctly, Tommy was involved in getting Greivis Vasquez to Montrose Christian with that same intent.

thespywhozaggedme
09-04-2017, 05:45 PM
If I remember correctly, Tommy was involved in getting Greivis Vasquez to Montrose Christian with that same intent.

Yeah, good call. Unfortunately he put him right in Marylands backyard. LOL not sure why he wouldn't just bring him right to Gonzaga prep.

maynard g krebs
09-04-2017, 05:55 PM
This kid is in the Philippines though where the junior competition is not nearly as good as that in Europe. He's been coming over the last two years during the summer training in Vegas for a few weeks and in the thread that I posted there's talk of him coming over to the states and finishing up high school like Kobe Paras did in Los Angeles.

Good point as far as coming to the states to prep. That could have helped Rui. Just that the GSL is an ok but not great hs league. Most internationals that come over for bb go to the hs factory schools.

thespywhozaggedme
09-04-2017, 06:24 PM
Good point as far as coming to the states to prep. That could have helped Rui. Just that the GSL is an ok but not great hs league. Most internationals that come over for bb go to the hs factory schools.

True. But he's playing high school ball in the Philippines so the GSL would be a pretty big step up for him.

hooter73
09-05-2017, 09:31 AM
You know the biggest thing I pick out of this?

They said it in the first video, "hes enjoying the game."

So many tall kids play ball because everyone they meet says, "hey, youre tall, you must be a basketball player."
Without naming names, how many times have we seen tall kids here at GU just not have that fire, or never play again after college. And thats fine, but playing for the right reasons, because they enjoy it, that does make a big difference.

kitzbuel
09-05-2017, 09:36 AM
True. But he's playing high school ball in the Philippines so the GSL would be a pretty big step up for him.I wonder what the NCAA rules are with regards to directing a high school student to a prep school with intent to influence the student's decision?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

MDABE80
09-05-2017, 10:14 AM
Why would the NCAA have a say so on a high school kid about anything unless he/she doesn't meet NC (Collegiate)AA entrance standards? Wouldn't that be overreach??? HS kids can go anywhere they want whether they go to college, play basketball or not or decide not to go to college at all. NCAA mission regulates what happens when a kid is IN college but not before. NCAA may try to regulate college entrance. In odd cases they do look into a HS kid's background as they have with our own players.. What the kid does in HS is case by case. They have no province over what school a kid choses.

thespywhozaggedme
09-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Why would the NCAA have a say so on a high school kid about anything unless he/she doesn't meet NC (Collegiate)AA entrance standards? Wouldn't that be overreach??? HS kids can go anywhere they want whether they go to college, play basketball or not or decide not to go to college at all. NCAA mission regulates what happens when a kid is IN college but not before. NCAA may try to regulate college entrance. In odd cases they do look into a HS kid's background as they have with our own players.. What the kid does in HS is case by case. They have no province over what school a kid choses.

Plus the NCAA allows colleges to hire a kids dad as an assistant, *cough, Micheal Porter, cough*

Zagnificent
09-05-2017, 10:56 AM

I think the issue here would be a college coach facilitating that transition to a US prep school, especially one that is somewhat affiliated with the University. I could see that being construed as some sort of benefit to the student, or inducement. While the student may not necessarily be subject to NCAA oversight and regulations at that time, the University-level coach is, and you may not be able to provide such benefits to students and potential future commitments...or at least if you did, they'd have to be declared. Now on the other hand, if the prep school reached out to the student without University direction or influence and offered the foreign student a position, methinks that would be kosher. I don't know the in's and outs of the University and NCAA compliance and regulatory environment. This is more of a hypothetical/guess on my part.

kitzbuel
09-05-2017, 11:19 AM
I think the issue here would be a college coach facilitating that transition to a US prep school, especially one that is somewhat affiliated with the University. I could see that being construed as some sort of benefit to the student, or inducement. While the student may not necessarily be subject to NCAA oversight and regulations at that time, the University-level coach is, and you may not be able to provide such benefits to students and potential future commitments...or at least if you did, they'd have to be declared. Now on the other hand, if the prep school reached out to the student without University direction or influence and offered the foreign student a position, methinks that would be kosher. I don't know the in's and outs of the University and NCAA compliance and regulatory environment. This is more of a hypothetical/guess on my part.

Exactly. I have no idea what view the NCAA has, if any. But I would think that if a college program worked to direct a student to a high school program with the intent to steer that student to their college program, there would be some potential issue. I don't know though, hence the question.

MDABE80
09-05-2017, 12:42 PM
Nothing covers it. Nothing.

kitzbuel
09-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Nothing covers it. Nothing.Well then, maybe Spy is on to something there.

MTZag03
09-05-2017, 04:40 PM
He doesn't look like he weighs 290.

Karnowski did. I think that was the reference.

Shanachie
09-05-2017, 05:51 PM
Exactly. I have no idea what view the NCAA has, if any. But I would think that if a college program worked to direct a student to a high school program with the intent to steer that student to their college program, there would be some potential issue. I don't know though, hence the question.

I don't know all of the details, but this was one of the violations St. Mary's was nailed for a few years ago.

Those violations involved the placement of a transfer student from France at an area high school with the intent, according to the NCAA, that the student would play for Saint Mary's after graduation.

http://https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/westcoast/2013/03/01/saint-marys-ncaa-sanctions-randy-bennett-suspension/1956809/ (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/westcoast/2013/03/01/saint-marys-ncaa-sanctions-randy-bennett-suspension/1956809/)

willandi
09-05-2017, 05:53 PM
Nothing covers it. Nothing.

Sometimes nothing is good! I really like beer, but nothing beats a Bud (their own words). So when faced with the dilemma of having to drink nothing, or Bud, I choose to believe that the people at Budweiser know their business. I choose nothing!

Bogozags
09-05-2017, 07:59 PM
I know we try to get our recruits that visit "tacos" but in this case we need to get him LUMPIA and/or Adobo and he should be willing to sign on the dotted line when he visits!

ZagsGoZags
09-05-2017, 11:22 PM
You know the biggest thing I pick out of this?

They said it in the first video, "hes enjoying the game."

So many tall kids play ball because everyone they meet says, "hey, youre tall, you must be a basketball player."
Without naming names, how many times have we seen tall kids here at GU just not have that fire, or never play again after college. And thats fine, but playing for the right reasons, because they enjoy it, that does make a big difference.

I wonder if Ryan Edwards had BB fire? I saw flashes, but cannot say that is a good adjective for him as a general descriptor.

kitzbuel
09-06-2017, 09:00 AM
I don't know all of the details, but this was one of the violations St. Mary's was nailed for a few years ago.

http://https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/westcoast/2013/03/01/saint-marys-ncaa-sanctions-randy-bennett-suspension/1956809/ (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/westcoast/2013/03/01/saint-marys-ncaa-sanctions-randy-bennett-suspension/1956809/)Thanks. I suspected as much.

thespywhozaggedme
09-08-2017, 02:26 PM
I just found out that Kai currently goes to a private Jesuit Highschool:

http://www.addu.edu.ph/

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2018, 09:13 AM
He just dropped 28/21 in their u16 quarterfinal win over Japan. Kids gonna be a stud.

http://www.fiba.basketball/asia/u16/2017/news/sotto-powers-philippines-past-japan-and-into-u17-world-cup

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2018, 09:17 AM
https://youtu.be/u6-89DyKh5I

Full game highlights

zagdontzig
04-06-2018, 09:38 AM
He just dropped 28/21 in their u16 quarterfinal win over Japan. Kids gonna be a stud.

http://www.fiba.basketball/asia/u16/2017/news/sotto-powers-philippines-past-japan-and-into-u17-world-cup

Frankly, he's a 7-footer in east Asia. Is it unfair to think he should have inflated stat lines?

OntZags
04-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Frankly, he's a 7-footer in east Asia. Is it unfair to think he should have inflated stat lines?

https://sports.abs-cbn.com/basketball/news/2018/04/04/sotto-finds-match-australia-overpowers-batang-gilas-39828

Stats not so inflated when he matched up against the Australians. Held to 9 points on 1/10 shooting with just 4 boards and the Aussies seemed to dominate the paint.

Still an interesting prospect at just 15 though. He's got some nice fluidity for a big man. But he definitely needs to adds tons and tons of strength. Super weak screens and not very strong boxing out for boards. Simply relies on height for rebounds which would never fly at the D1 level.

Not sure if he has high major upside but intriguing none the less. Curious to see how develops and I'm always game for a flyer on an international guy if the staff feels good about him.

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2018, 10:02 AM

They're slowly but surely getting taller in Asia; China has a few 7 footers on the u16 roster, Korea has some tall kids, and India has 2 players over 6'10 and Australia and New Zealand now are part of Fiba Asia. This kid is 6'10 and thick and is averaging 23/13 in the tourney:

http://www.fiba.basketball/asia/u16/2017/Princepal-Singh

Sotto is legit, he's now 7'1 and 16 and rumor is he wants to come over to the states and finish his high school before going to college. he currently attends a Jesuit prep school in the Philippines.

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2018, 10:04 AM
https://sports.abs-cbn.com/basketball/news/2018/04/04/sotto-finds-match-australia-overpowers-batang-gilas-39828

Stats not so inflated when he matched up against the Australians. Held to 9 points on 1/10 shooting with just 4 boards and the Aussies seemed to dominate the paint.

Still an interesting prospect at just 15 though. He's got some nice fluidity for a big man. But he definitely needs to adds tons and tons of strength. Super weak screens and not very strong boxing out for boards. Simply relies on height for rebounds which would never fly at the D1 level.

Not sure if he has high major upside but intriguing none the less. Curious to see how develops and I'm always game for a flyer on an international guy if the staff feels good about him.

Who didn't at that age? When I was 15/16 I was 6'1 162lbs. By the time I was 20, I was lifting and got up to 190.

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2018, 10:11 AM

Leading the entire tourney in rebounds at 13.3 rpg in only 24 mpg.

http://www.fiba.basketball/asia/u16/2017/playerstats

Will be interesting to see how he does in the worlds, now that Philippines has qualified.

OntZags
04-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Who didn't at that age? When I was 15/16 I was 6'1 162lbs. By the time I was 20, I was lifting and got up to 190.

Oh I get that, hence me still calling him intriguing.

But getting dominated in the paint/on the boards against an Australian frontcourt of guys who are 6'7, 6'6 & 6'4 isn't exactly the most inspiring result. Those Aussie kids resemble D-1 calibre a lot more than the Japanese kids.

There is potential there. I'm just not sure it's high major D-1 potential. (based on my expert analysis of watching 5 minutes of his game vs Japan and statline vs Australia ;))

OntZags
04-06-2018, 10:19 AM
Leading the entire tourney in rebounds at 13.3 rpg in only 24 mpg.

http://www.fiba.basketball/asia/u16/2017/playerstats

Will be interesting to see how he does in the worlds, now that Philippines has qualified.

For sure, it'll be a much better litmus test. The American & European teams will be a lot more reflective of D-1 talent levels.

Zagceo
04-06-2018, 11:14 AM
one example of basketball focused prep school

sure Josh and others in our program are aware of in and outs.

Huntington Prep, or Huntington St. Joseph Prep, is a basketball-focused college preparatory school located in Huntington, West Virginia. It was founded in 2009 by Head Coach, Rob Fulford and Associate Head Coach, Arkell Bruce. In 2014 Coach Fulford accepted a job as an assistant coach at the Univeristy of Missouri, and Coach Bruce became Huntingon Prepís second head coach.

https://www.huntingtonprep.com/huntingtonprepprogram

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2018, 11:22 AM
For sure, it'll be a much better litmus test. The American & European teams will be a lot more reflective of D-1 talent levels.

Agreed. Do you know when the world u16's are?

Coach Crazy
04-06-2018, 12:25 PM
one example of basketball focused prep school

sure Josh and others in our program are aware of in and outs.

https://www.huntingtonprep.com/huntingtonprepprogram

How dare you!! But the education!

OntZags
04-06-2018, 12:26 PM
Agreed. Do you know when the world u16's are?

Argentina. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIBA_Under-17_Basketball_World_Cup

Although it's the FIBA U-17's but they used the u-16 regionals as the qualifiers. Will make it extra challenging for Sotto given he'll be facing kids a year older than what he faced in qualifiers. (in addition to being higher calibre nations to begin with)

Depending on who gets selected, I imagine the U.S. will be the strong favourite with Canada/Australia/Argentina and the top European teams in that next tier.

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2018, 12:34 PM
Argentina. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIBA_Under-17_Basketball_World_Cup

Although it's the FIBA U-17's but they used the u-16 regionals as the qualifiers. Will make it extra challenging for Sotto given he'll be facing kids a year older than what he faced in qualifiers. (in addition to being higher calibre nations to begin with)

Depending on who gets selected, I imagine the U.S. will be the strong favourite with Canada/Australia/Argentina and the top European teams in that next tier.

Thanks!

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2018, 11:03 AM
He followed up his 28/21 vs japan with 26/21 vs China and 13/7 vs New Zealand. This is on the front page under 10 things to take away from the tournament:

Kai could be the next Yao.

As good as Australia are, though, the tournament's best player did not play for them. By the competition's end, the player with the highest efficiency rating was the Philippines' own celebrated center Kai Sotto. The 7ft 1in (2.16m) Filipino giant may have fallen short of carrying the Philippines to a podium finish, but he certainly caught the attention of everyone who saw him play after norming 16.8 points, 13.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game. It's rare for a 15-year-old Asian to be his size, but it's even rarer for someone his size to have the skills he has shown this past week. If his growth, development and maturity don't get derailed, Kai could be Asia's next Yao Ming.

http://www.fiba.basketball/asia/u16/2017/news/10-things-we-learned-from-the-fiba-u16-asian-championship

I know for a fact there are insiders on the board that have access to Tommy, please put a bug in his ear about this kid. He already knows about Gonzaga, he already goes to a Jesuit high school. The kid is gonna be a stud!

OntZags
04-09-2018, 02:49 PM
I know for a fact there are insiders on the board that have access to Tommy, please put a bug in his ear about this kid. He already knows about Gonzaga, he already goes to a Jesuit high school. The kid is gonna be a stud!

I have to imagine the staff has a comprehensive dossier of top international prospects considering college at this juncture. I'm sure they are aware of him.

You have to think the staff will keep tabs at the upcoming FIBA U-17 worlds. His team is in the group of death against host Argentina, France & Croatia so the competition in all group games will be stern. Great opportunity for him to prove himself against higher calibre opposition.

Unbiased
04-09-2018, 05:56 PM
If his stats against good competition falls short of expectations, it's good to remember teams will double and triple team him (including the Aussies). Actually, I had the pleasure last year of taking in several Philippine professional basketball games. It blew me away, other than not having much height, the caliber of play was outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWzVLbAE_hw

Zagdawg
05-05-2018, 04:54 AM
Kai Sotto -- GU Boards getting some love from the Philippines

"Kai Sotto has become one of the hot topics in the Gonzaga University boards. Fans of Gonzaga know that Tommy Lloyd is keen in getting international players to play for the Bulldogs."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m9rkCJ5jfA

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 06:00 AM
There is already a thread about him

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?61015-Tommy-s-next-potential-recruit-Kai-Sotto-7-0-15-year-old-from-the-Philippines

Mods please merge. Thank you

Coach Crazy
05-05-2018, 06:06 AM
Kai Sotto -- GU Boards getting some love from the Philippines

"Kai Sotto has become one of the hot topics in the Gonzaga University boards. Fans of Gonzaga know that Tommy Lloyd is keen in getting international players to play for the Bulldogs."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwn4AAcmvIg

Markburn1
05-05-2018, 10:02 AM

Yikes. Well, he IS tall.

Coach Crazy
05-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Yikes. Well, he IS tall.

Yes. Outside of that...

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 11:20 AM

Not sure what the point of posting that was. Throwing shade on a 16-year-old is kind of low in my opinion.

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 11:21 AM
Yikes. Well, he IS tall.

Perhaps you missed the write up on him from scouts:

As good as Australia are, though, the tournament's best player did not play for them. By the competition's end, the player with the highest efficiency rating was the Philippines' own celebrated center Kai Sotto. The 7ft 1in (2.16m) Filipino giant may have fallen short of carrying the Philippines to a podium finish, but he certainly caught the attention of everyone who saw him play after norming 16.8 points, 13.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game. It's rare for a 15-year-old Asian to be his size, but it's even rarer for someone his size to have the skills he has shown this past week. If his growth, development and maturity don't get derailed, Kai could be Asia's next Yao Ming.

http://www.fiba.basketball/asia/u16/...n-championship

Zagceo
05-05-2018, 11:39 AM
the board is creating news....how funny...or scary;)

jchocolate99
05-05-2018, 11:51 AM
No thanks...

Markburn1
05-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Perhaps you missed the write up on him from scouts:

http://www.fiba.basketball/asia/u16/...n-championship

Yes, well I have my opinion and stats are deceiving. And until another 150 pounds and at least one post move are added to this kid's repertoire it is exceedingly unfair to project that kind of expectation on this kid or any other kid that just happens to be tall.

Worthington
05-05-2018, 01:25 PM
This kid is going to be real good with the right kind of development (not sure if he's going to get that if he stays in the Philippines). I think he would be a great get.

You'd be hard pressed to find a 7'2 15 year old who is going to blow you away with their post moves and strength. I think his skill-set and athleticism are looking real nice for this point in his development, give him 3 more years to grow into his body and hit the weights, and then watch out.

Zaga
05-05-2018, 03:25 PM
No thanks...

Ditto for me as well.

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 04:17 PM
Yes, well I have my opinion and stats are deceiving. And until another 150 pounds and at least one post move are added to this kid's repertoire it is exceedingly unfair to project that kind of expectation on this kid or any other kid that just happens to be tall.

He just turned 16. lol

Markburn1
05-05-2018, 06:45 PM
He just turned 16. lol

Well, exactly. Yet you are quoting someone that is tentatively projecting him to be Yao Ming. In reality, the comparison falls completely flat with the exception of height and Asian blood. As far as basketball skills, there is no touch, no footwork, no floor awareness, etc.

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Well, exactly. Yet you are quoting someone that is tentatively projecting him to be Yao Ming. In reality, the comparison falls completely flat with the exception of height and Asian blood. As far as basketball skills, there is no touch, no footwork, no floor awareness, etc.

And yet despite all of that he put up 16.8 points, 13.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game and was named 1st team All Asia U16. Imagine what he does when he learns how to play basketball (sarcasm). You missed your calling as a scout (more sarcasm).

Markburn1
05-05-2018, 07:44 PM
And yet despite all of that he put up 16.8 points, 13.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game and was named 1st team All Asia U16. Imagine what he does when he learns how to play basketball (sarcasm). You missed your calling as a scout (more sarcasm).

We'll see.

First team All Asia is not all that impressive. Asians are pretty rare in D1 basketball.

He would disappear in a good high school league in the states at this point.

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 07:58 PM
We'll see.

First team All Asia is not all that impressive. Asians are pretty rare in D1 basketball.

He would disappear in a good high school league in the states at this point.

Australia and New Zealand play in FIBA Asia now and your last statement is pretty ignorant. But we'll find out soon enough because he'll face a major step up in competition in the FIBA U17's in Argentina in late June, early July vs the top teams in the world.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018

Markburn1
05-06-2018, 11:41 AM
Australia and New Zealand play in FIBA Asia now and your last statement is pretty ignorant. But we'll find out soon enough because he'll face a major step up in competition in the FIBA U17's in Argentina in late June, early July vs the top teams in the world.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018

Thanks for the compliments. Always nice having a conversation with you.

I'll say this. Yao Ming's legacy is in no danger and if the Zags need this guy to continue their run, they won't.

billyberu
05-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Is Tommy Lloyd recruiting him? If so, I'll take his observations over anyone here.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Scout
05-06-2018, 05:39 PM
Kai's latest game highlights fast forward to 0:22 that up and under against a chinese bigman is special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmeil1mvQ50

he will in be in the US for a training camp in preparation for for the U17 FIBA world cup

MDABE80
05-06-2018, 06:15 PM
Recruitable! So much better! What a huge difference. Worth a look.

exclusivelee
05-06-2018, 06:35 PM
Give me Chikara Tanaka

https://youtu.be/FrxYb5DWU8w

kitzbuel
05-07-2018, 08:32 AM
Give me Chikara Tanaka

https://youtu.be/FrxYb5DWU8wDoesn't hurt that Ira! is his mentor.

Another couple inches of height...

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

thebigsmoove
05-07-2018, 05:40 PM
Is Tommy Lloyd recruiting him? If so, I'll take his observations over anyone here.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Not that has been stated, this is basically fan fiction at this point. Kid is so raw. Hes got the frame, all depends on how that frame develops over the next couple years. Hard Pass.

Zagcity
05-09-2018, 06:21 AM
Bump

Markburn1
05-09-2018, 09:16 AM
Bump

Why?

thespywhozaggedme
05-31-2018, 07:49 AM
So my shtick has always been that we're irrelevant, anonymous dorks posting on a message board that has zero bearing on anything related to the team whatsoever. Well, we may not be as irrelevant as I thought; Fox Sports Philippines wrote an article based on this thread and a direct link to it. lol:

http://www.foxsports.ph/basketball/859901/is-kai-sotto-potential-gonzaga-university-recruit/

amaronizag
05-31-2018, 08:37 AM
Well, from that video we know he can draw a lot of fouls!! Poor kid was getting killed. Got to love his foot work, co-ordination, and skills for someone his age and height.

23dpg
05-31-2018, 09:24 AM
Wow, that is just terrible journalism. Maybe acceptable for a random blog, but not a legitimate news source. Basing a story on someone posting a question on a fan forum? SMH

kitzbuel
05-31-2018, 09:38 AM
Wow, that is just terrible journalism. Maybe acceptable for a random blog, but not a legitimate news source. Basing a story on someone posting a question on a fan forum? SMH"As was reported on the internets today...."

tinfoilzag
05-31-2018, 09:46 AM
So my shtick has always been that we're irrelevant, anonymous dorks posting on a message board that has zero bearing on anything related to the team whatsoever. Well, we may not be as irrelevant as I thought; Fox Sports Philippines wrote an article based on this thread and a direct link to it. lol:

http://www.foxsports.ph/basketball/859901/is-kai-sotto-potential-gonzaga-university-recruit/

We interrupt this Foxsports report and go to Spy with breaking news on GU Basketball :D

Coach Crazy
05-31-2018, 09:50 AM
We interrupt this Foxsports report and go to Spy with breaking news on GU Basketball :D

"Hi, yes, thanks, tinfoil. I'm here to speak with a player that will never suit up for the Zags. We had an interview lined up, but the A/C got turned on and he fell over. More updates as things develop. Back to you TFZ."

tinfoilzag
05-31-2018, 10:04 AM
"Hi, yes, thanks, tinfoil. I'm here to speak with a player that will never suit up for the Zags. We had an interview lined up, but the A/C got turned on and he fell over. More updates as things develop. Back to you TFZ."

And there you have the confirmation, another Zag commitment. There will be a follow up article on this newest Zag based on the YouTube video about a forum post once we see the picture of a dog in the recruit's twitter feed.

thespywhozaggedme
05-31-2018, 10:07 AM
Wow, that is just terrible journalism. Maybe acceptable for a random blog, but not a legitimate news source. Basing a story on someone posting a question on a fan forum? SMH

I cracked up when I came across that.

thespywhozaggedme
05-31-2018, 10:08 AM

:cool:

Coach Crazy
05-31-2018, 10:09 AM
And there you have the confirmation, another Zag commitment. There will be a follow up article on this newest Zag based on the YouTube video about a forum post once we see the picture of a dog in the recruit's twitter feed.

Maybe we should troll FoxSports PH, and see how far this circus can go? Like...dead serious. This is fun, now.

Coach Crazy
05-31-2018, 10:11 AM
"As was reported on the internets today...."

I know, right?! It's the inter*webs*, geez. Get it right, journalists. Fake News! 'ugely Fake News, ok!

thespywhozaggedme
05-31-2018, 10:18 AM
He'll have a major step up up in competition in a month. The world U18's are gonna be in Argentina and Philippines is in a tough bracket with Croatia, France and Argentina. His first game is vs France and their center is Yvann Mbaya. On a related note Zags potential recruit, Killian Hayes will be playing for France and the game will be live on youtube so I'll post the link on game day.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018/groups

Zaga
05-31-2018, 10:27 AM
The "Flying Fickle Finger of Fate Award" for excellence in journalism in the category for Basketball recruitment accuracy and entertainment value............ goes to.........

Anton Tiesco of Fox Sports
:D

thespywhozaggedme
06-30-2018, 06:43 AM
Two guys that we are associated, Killian Hayes and Kai Soto with will face off when France faces the Philippines at the U17 World Championships in a few days. Look for France to win by at least 20. Hayes would be a 5 star if he was playing in the States and is better than Brandon Williams. Soto will find out if he can put up as good of numbers in the worlds as he did a few months ago in the Asian championships as they face Croatia later today. If anyone wants to see how Soto does against tougher competition, they game will stream live here in several hours:

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018/game/3006/Croatia-Philippines

I wonder if Tommy is at the event

caldwellzag
06-30-2018, 07:15 AM
Two guys that we are associated, Killian Hayes and Kai Soto with will face off when France faces the Philippines at the U17 World Championships in a few days. Look for France to win by at least 20. Hayes would be a 5 star if he was playing in the States and is better than Brandon Williams. Soto will find out if he can put up as good of numbers in the worlds as he did a few months ago in the Asian championships as they face Croatia later today. If anyone wants to see how Soto does against tougher competition, they game will stream live here in several hours:

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018/game/3006/Croatia-Philippines

I wonder if Tommy is at the event

Thanks for the link Spy! Really excited to see more of Hayes!

thespywhozaggedme
06-30-2018, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the link Spy! Really excited to see more of Hayes!

My pleasure. I'll post the links to their games in here.

thespywhozaggedme
06-30-2018, 01:00 PM
Game live now:

https://youtu.be/BUeOxaYkMvw

thespywhozaggedme
06-30-2018, 02:00 PM
I figured it would be easier to have a thread for this, so people could follow each of these kids who's names are linked to Gonzaga. Philippines is on right now vs Croatia, but my feed buffers every 5 seconds, so it's unwatchable and I have no idea how Soto is doing. France plays shortly, so we can watch Hayes, hopefully the feed is better. I watched a little of the Canada game, they looked really good, not sure if we're recruiting any Canadians. Don't know if Tommy is at this tourney or not.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018/game/3006/France-Argentina

thespywhozaggedme
06-30-2018, 02:07 PM
I figured it would be easier to have a thread for this, so people could follow each of these kids who's names are linked to Gonzaga. Philippines is on right now vs Croatia, but my feed buffers every 5 seconds, so it's unwatchable and I have no idea how Soto is doing. France plays shortly, so we can watch Hayes, hopefully the feed is better. I watched a little of the Canada game, they looked really good, not sure if we're recruiting any Canadians. Don't know if Tommy is at this tourney or not.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018/game/3006/France-Argentina

I've watched the last 5 minutes, it's no longer buffering. The Philippines is so overmatched, but despite being rail thin Soto has been very good, major disruptive presence, great rebounder and good offensive moves. 18/9 so far with 5 minutes left. Those that poo-pooed his #'s in the Asian championships can now rest easy, this kid is legit.

thespywhozaggedme
06-30-2018, 02:20 PM
Soto finished with 23/12 against Croatia on 65% shooting. Great advanced post moves, great defense, great rebounder, was a bit iffy at the ft line and is rail thin, but the announcer couldn't stop gushing about him. This kid is legit!

thespywhozaggedme
06-30-2018, 02:21 PM
Killian Hayes and France vs Argentina in an hour

thespywhozaggedme
06-30-2018, 02:23 PM
Soto just dropped 23/12 vs Croatia in the u17 World Championships. Those that were worried that was only able to score against Asian teams can no longer worry, the kid is legit!

thespywhozaggedme
06-30-2018, 04:09 PM
Killian Hayes game:

https://youtu.be/Ie-s1ybPJ08

thespywhozaggedme
06-30-2018, 07:08 PM
Killian Hayes and Kai Soto both featured by FIBA in the Sensational Seven players to watch in this tourney:

Killian Hayes - France

Following the departure of Luka Doncic to the NBA, Killian Hayes might be the European youngster garnering the most attention. Hayes, who won't turn 17 until late July, was the MVP of the FIBA U16 European Championship 2017 as he averaged 16.6 points, 7.0 rebounds, 5.1 assists and 2.7 steals and has already signed a three-year professional contract with French ProA side Cholet. He will be part of an outstanding French trio with Theo Maledon and Malcolm Cazalon.

Kai Sotto - Philippines

Kai Sotto was dominant in the FIBA U16 Asian Championship 2017 with 16.8 points, 13.5 rebounds, 2.5 blocks and 1.2 assists - despite being a year younger. The 7ft 1in (2.16m) big man has been included in the Philippines senior national team "23 for 23" pool of players looking ahead to the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023, which will be co-hosted by Philippines.

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018/news/sensational-seven-the-top-stars-of-the-2018-u17-world-cup

Neither disappointed in the first day of competition as Soto dropped 23/12 and Hayes had 13/3 and 5 steals

thespywhozaggedme
06-30-2018, 07:35 PM
France and Philippines face off against each other, so we'll get to see both Soto and Hayes in one game.

U Zig, I Zag
06-30-2018, 08:40 PM
Not following the recruiting too much. We #1 for these kids?

thespywhozaggedme
07-01-2018, 09:13 AM

Hayes, yes I believe so. Soto, I have no idea. We have been linked to him on the Filipino basketball message boards and Fox sports Philippines wrote an article implying that we were recruiting him but then that article literally linked right back to this very thread. LOL

thespywhozaggedme
07-01-2018, 11:18 AM
Kai Soto highlights from yesterdays 23/12 game vs Croatia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBB4fw3zS0U

thespywhozaggedme
07-01-2018, 11:22 AM
France (Hayes) vs Philippines (Soto) can be seen here live in an hour:

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018/game/0107/Philippines-France

GorgeZag
07-01-2018, 11:25 AM
Hayes, who won't turn 17 until late July, was the MVP of the FIBA U16 European Championship 2017 as he averaged 16.6 points, 7.0 rebounds, 5.1 assists and 2.7 steals and has already signed a three-year professional contract with French ProA side Cholet.

If he's signed a pro contract already, how does he come over?

thespywhozaggedme
07-01-2018, 11:31 AM
If he's signed a pro contract already, how does he come over?

I believe that it's a contract with a pro team as an amateur. Sabonis did as have many euros.

thespywhozaggedme
07-01-2018, 12:59 PM
Game starting in 15 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_4lZkNtaOI&feature=youtu.be

thespywhozaggedme
07-01-2018, 02:03 PM
In what I was sure would be a 40 point blowout, Philippines is hanging tough, only down by 6 to France at the half. Soto is such a skilled big man for someone so young, he does something that is so important for a big man, he always keeps the ball above his head, never bringing it town negating his height advantage. Hayes had 2 impressive dunks and has 6 points at the half, Soto has 5/5 on only 4 shots, Philippines has to get him more touches as he can't be defended one on one, but France is doing a good job doubling him as soon as he gets the ball, forcing him to give it up.

thespywhozaggedme
07-01-2018, 03:07 PM
I watched the entire France/Philippines game and my eyes will never forgive me. As I predicted at halftime, this wound up being a 40 point blowout. The Philippines must turn the ball over more than any team ever and handle it like it's a buttered pineapple. Soto is so much better than everyone on his team, it's not even fair. He was in foul trouble the entire game, but made some sick post up moves and his passing is Shem like, but again, his guards would just fumble the passes out of bounds. He made a sick reverse fake post up move at the 6.30 or so mark when it looked like he was perfectly defended, but his team is flat out awful. He finished with 7/6 on only 3/5 shooting before fouling out.

Regarding Hayes and France, the team is so deep, that their coach rotates guards like a hockey line, but he was so good in the minutes that he played; 14 points in 18 minutes, but only 1 rebound and 0 assists, but again, France was so much better than Philippines. Not much to take away from this game except Soto is head and shoulders better than anyone else on his team and France is really, really good, 3rd best to USA and Canada.

Zagdawg
07-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Brawl in Philippines vs Australia game

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/massive-brawl-results-in-team-playing-1-on-5-in-fiba-world-cup-qualifier/ar-AAzu8BN?li=BBnb7Kz

thespywhozaggedme
07-02-2018, 10:21 AM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/massive-brawl-results-in-team-playing-1-on-5-in-fiba-world-cup-qualifier/ar-AAzu8BN?li=BBnb7Kz

Different game. That one is the world cup qualifiers, the senior men's national team. Disgraceful

ZigZagger
07-02-2018, 03:47 PM

Started by Daniel Kickert. Classy bunch those Gaels...

sideshow06
07-02-2018, 07:26 PM
Watch again. Kickert was defending his teammate who was cold-cocked. If you watch the game it’s pretty clear that the Philippines team was the problem. They posed for selfies after the game like they were proud of what they did in a game where they were clearly outmatched. I’d appreciate a teammate like Kicks. To each his own.

GoZags
07-02-2018, 08:01 PM
Watch again. Kickert was defending his teammate who was cold-cocked. If you watch the game it’s pretty clear that the Philippines team was the problem. They posed for selfies after the game like they were proud of what they did in a game where they were clearly outmatched. I’d appreciate a teammate like Kicks. To each his own.

Agree. The post above yours got it 100 percent wrong.

ZigZagger
07-02-2018, 09:58 PM
I guess I stand corrected. The videos I watched showed nothing before Kickert threw the elbow and the article Zagdawg linked even stated that Kickert started it. To say I am 100% wrong is a bit harsh...

thebigsmoove
07-03-2018, 05:18 AM

No. 100% of the Gonzaga-Kai Sotto mentions come from this thread which was started as a sort of fan fiction by Spy, nothing actually linking us or Tommy to him in any way. In regards to Killian Hayes, hes never going to play college ball, hes almost an NBA lottery lock at this point.

sideshow06
07-03-2018, 06:43 AM
I guess I stand corrected. The videos I watched showed nothing before Kickert threw the elbow and the article Zagdawg linked even stated that Kickert started it. To say I am 100% wrong is a bit harsh...

Look, it’s fair to say that if Kickert doesn’t throw that elbow, it doesn’t turn into an all out bench clearing brawl. But the tension in the game leading up to it was real. It was chippy all game. The hard foul doesn’t excuse Kickert’s actions but it was a “last straw” kind of moment. So you’re not 100% wrong at all. But the stories and comments that implicate Kickert in a vacuum are seriously lacking context. It wasn’t a classless move by a dirty player. It was frustration boiling over. Either way, shouldn’t have happened but was almost inevitable the way the game was going.

thespywhozaggedme
07-04-2018, 05:04 AM
Didn't get to see either the Philippines or France game but Soto had 13/15 and 5 blocks in a close loss to Argentina and Hayes 16 points, 7 rebounds and 9 assists. Both of this guys are flat out studs!

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018/game/0307/Argentina-Philippines#tab=boxscore

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2018/game/0307/Croatia-France#tab=boxscore

raise the zag
07-04-2018, 07:14 AM
No. 100% of the Gonzaga-Kai Sotto mentions come from this thread which was started as a sort of fan fiction by Spy, nothing actually linking us or Tommy to him in any way. In regards to Killian Hayes, hes never going to play college ball, hes almost an NBA lottery lock at this point.

This.

While we were linked to Killian Hayes at one point with interest on both sides, that ship has sailed. He will be getting paid next season as a Pro. And the NBA shortly thereafter.

The Kai connection came out of thin air...and Twitterverse. Tall guy. Overseas. Under the radar. Someone said, "what IF he is Tommy's next big find?". It kinda went from there....

stretch
07-04-2018, 09:44 AM
The best 15 year old big in the U17 tournament is Oumar Ballo of Mali. He's a beast tearing up the Aussies right now.

thespywhozaggedme
07-04-2018, 01:10 PM
The best 15 year old big in the U17 tournament is Oumar Ballo of Mali. He's a beast tearing up the Aussies right now.

Yeah, he's amazing. I'd offer him in a heartbeat

thespywhozaggedme
07-05-2018, 05:24 AM
The Philippines bowed out of the medal round of the tourney, getting crushed vs a very good Canadian squad, Soto had 16/8 and 2 blocks. They face Mali in the consolation round and that will be a great test for Kai as Mali has a stud big man that is built like a tank, Oumar Ballo. France destroyed New Zealand by 40, Hayes had 17/3/2. USA, France and Canada are clearly the 3 best teams here. France gets a day of rest and plays Turkey in the qt's.

willandi
07-05-2018, 05:44 AM
Look, it’s fair to say that if Kickert doesn’t throw that elbow, it doesn’t turn into an all out bench clearing brawl. But the tension in the game leading up to it was real. It was chippy all game. The hard foul doesn’t excuse Kickert’s actions but it was a “last straw” kind of moment. So you’re not 100% wrong at all. But the stories and comments that implicate Kickert in a vacuum are seriously lacking context. It wasn’t a classless move by a dirty player. It was frustration boiling over. Either way, shouldn’t have happened but was almost inevitable the way the game was going.

I didn't see the ref coming in to call the first elbow thrown on the drive, or the second away from the ball, by the same Philippines player. Had they gotten there and called the first, the second wouldn't have happened. If they had gotten there and called the second, Kickert would not have felt the need to retaliate. Blaming the whole thing On Kickert is ludicrous. The Philippines should be banned from international play until they learn the game. If they feel the need, ban Kickert as well, and the refs in the game should be banned for life as well as the announcers.

thespywhozaggedme
07-06-2018, 10:25 AM

They're facing one another right now and Ballo is destroying Soto. Ballo has 20/14 mid way through the 3rd qtr and Soto has 6/3 and 3 fouls trying to guard Ballo. This is a complete mismatch.

thespywhozaggedme
07-06-2018, 11:18 AM
Ballo had 28/19!!!! This kid is the next great African big in the mold of Embiid and Bamba, he utterly dominated Soto.

thespywhozaggedme
07-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Hayes with 23/6/5 vs Turkey

Scout
07-09-2018, 02:10 AM
Kai played exceptionally the last two games against Egypt and New Zealand. He caught the attention of some NBA scouts.

His game highlights against Egypt where scored 28 points against a 6'10 center. Fast forward to 2:50 you can see, how good his footwork is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAP6K83hRys

The game against New Zealand he showcased his perimeter game. He scored 22 points againts the tall blacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cSFuZWOI-g

Ballo dominate by strength but Kai's skillset is more advance than the big guy from Mali.

CDC84
07-09-2018, 10:01 AM
What was so funny about the brawl were the announcers. They almost called it as a play by play event that was no different than a guy who blocks a shot, gets the rebound, and outlets it to his PG for a dunk. I am always reminded of the terrible brawl between the Pacers and Pistons in which Walton and the other announcer spent 75% of the time "moralizing" about the event instead of actually telling viewers what was happening on the floor....especially away from the camera. The FIBA announcers treated the brawl differently that any announcing crew would in this country. Not saying it's right or wrong or worse or better....it was just odd.

SLOZag
09-28-2018, 01:52 AM
According to Kai Soto's dad, GU may have opffered to his son by now:
"Ervin Sotto, former PBA player and father of Ateneo High School star Kai confirmed in an interview with Slam Philippines earlier reports that his 16-year old son received offers from three Spanish basketball clubs: Real Madrid, Baskonia and Estudiantes as well as recruitment offers from Division 1 schools in the United Statesí National Collegiate Athletics Association, including the University of Texas Longhorns and Gonzaga University Bulldogs.

http://www.interaksyon.com/why-kai-sotto-is-drawing-interest-of-european-teams-us-ncaa-schools/

thespywhozaggedme
09-28-2018, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Always nice having a conversation with you.

I'll say this. Yao Ming's legacy is in no danger and if the Zags need this guy to continue their run, they won't.

Ahem

Markburn1
09-28-2018, 06:54 PM
Ahem

I'll stand by that observation.

By the way, is there any independent confirmation other than his dad that Gonzaga has actually offered?

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-29-2018, 05:43 AM
Sometimes nothing is good! I really like beer, but nothing beats a Bud (their own words). So when faced with the dilemma of having to drink nothing, or Bud, I choose to believe that the people at Budweiser know their business. I choose nothing!

:cheers:

thespywhozaggedme
10-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Looks like he's forgoing NCAA because he got a lucrative contract in Spain:

https://sports.mb.com.ph/2018/10/03/sotto-spain-bound/

Scout
10-03-2018, 06:04 PM
In the NCAA Gonzaga, USC, Texas showing interest while in Europe, Real Madrid , FC barcelona and 3 other teams from Spain. Pau Gasol's agent flew in the Philippines to recruit the Sotto's.