PDA

View Full Version : Could we do an ooc deal with the PAC like Notre Dame does with the ACC?

thespywhozaggedme
06-28-2018, 06:40 PM
I was thinking about this earlier today when our ooc schedule thread came up and I thought of the idea of us having a yearly deal with the PAC 12 ala ND's deal with the ACC; maybe something like 8 games a year, 4 at the MAC, 4 on the road on a rotating basis. It would be good for our rpi, good for regional ratings and rivalries and also still allow some other big name ooc's and a few cupcakes and ESPN would love it. What do you guys and gals think? Thanks

ZagzKrak
06-28-2018, 06:50 PM
Pretty sure ND is a member of the ACC for men's BB...they keep their football indy though.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/teams

thespywhozaggedme
06-28-2018, 07:12 PM
Pretty sure ND is a member of the ACC for men's BB...they keep their football indy though.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/teams

I was talking about their fb team. They signed a deal several years ago to play 4 ACC football games a year. I'd like to see us do something similar with the PAC.

ZagzKrak
06-28-2018, 07:49 PM
Did a little looking around and sounds like those football games were part of the deal with allowing ND into the ACC for their other sports.

sittingon50
06-28-2018, 07:51 PM
I was talking about their fb team. They signed a deal several years ago to play 4 ACC football games a year. I'd like to see us do something similar with the PAC.

Zag's fired up their FB team again?

Those leather helmets down in the basement gotta' be pretty dusty!

thespywhozaggedme
06-28-2018, 08:00 PM
Zag's fired up their FB team again?

Those leather helmets down in the basement gotta' be pretty dusty!

I'm not following? ND has an agreement for their fb team to play 4 ACC teams a year. What if we approached the PAC with a similar offer of say 8 game sa year, 4 in the MAC, 4 on the road. It would be a boon for our ooc rpi, also a boon for PAC teams playing a national brand ooc in Gonzaga and good tv ratings for ESPN. There's literally no downside.

thespywhozaggedme
06-28-2018, 08:02 PM
Did a little looking around and sounds like those football games were part of the deal with allowing ND into the ACC for their other sports.

So?

willandi
06-28-2018, 08:05 PM
I'm not following? ND has an agreement for their fb team to play 4 ACC teams a year. What if we approached the PAC with a similar offer of say 8 game sa year, 4 in the MAC, 4 on the road. It would be a boon for our ooc rpi, also a boon for PAC teams playing a national brand ooc in Gonzaga and good tv ratings for ESPN. There's literally no downside.

There is nothing to entice the PAC to do a deal. Individual teams, yes, but the conference as a whole, no. Just as with the other big conferences, their RPI is supported by themselves.

Maybe the Mountain West, but not the Pac.

ZagzKrak
06-28-2018, 08:17 PM
So?

Are you just acting like ya don't know? The ACC let ND in with their other sports as long as they got a piece of ND football money. Everyone knows football money drives the power 5. ND football has their own TV contract with NBC through 2025....of course the ACC wanted some of that.

kitzbuel
06-29-2018, 02:43 AM
Are you just acting like ya don't know? The ACC let ND in with their other sports as long as they got a piece of ND football money. Everyone knows football money drives the power 5. ND football has their own TV contract with NBC through 2025....of course the ACC wanted some of that.

Exactly, it was all about $Football$.

thebigsmoove
06-29-2018, 04:48 AM

What? No Downside? The Pac 12 isnt a great basketball conference, id rather we keep scheduling teams from all over the country and picking and choosing our games instead of letting the Pac 12 control 8 games on our schedule every year. Thats a recipe for SOS disaster.

GoZags
06-29-2018, 05:19 AM
I was thinking about this earlier today when our ooc schedule thread came up and I thought of the idea of us having a yearly deal with the PAC 12 ala ND's deal with the ACC; maybe something like 8 games a year, 4 at the MAC, 4 on the road on a rotating basis. It would be good for our rpi, good for regional ratings and rivalries and also still allow some other big name ooc's and a few cupcakes and ESPN would love it. What do you guys and gals think? Thanks

No. We couldn't.

At least that's what I think.

TexasZagFan
06-29-2018, 07:12 AM
No. We couldn't.

I don’t think ESPN wants anyone from the WCC not named Gonzaga or BYU.

JPtheBeasta
06-29-2018, 07:36 AM

Gonzaga doesn't have a football team.

Edit: J/k. Tongue planted firmly in cheek. I was going for pedantic thespywhodzaggedme-ness :]

thespywhozaggedme
06-29-2018, 08:23 AM
What? No Downside? The Pac 12 isnt a great basketball conference, id rather we keep scheduling teams from all over the country and picking and choosing our games instead of letting the Pac 12 control 8 games on our schedule every year. Thats a recipe for SOS disaster.

it doesn't have to be an either/or. We play 14 or 15 ooc games a year, if 8 of them were against PAC team, 4 home, 4 on the road, you still have plenty for big name games and a few cupcakes. Something like Arizona State, USC, Utah and Stanford at the Kennel would be pretty cool.

thespywhozaggedme
06-29-2018, 08:23 AM
No. We couldn't.

Fair enough

NotoriousZ
06-29-2018, 09:35 AM
How long do you think it would take to get a team going again? I’m sure this topic has been discussed at length before, but this seems like the right time to bring it up again.

I’ll bet the only thing keeping GU out of the PAC (assuming we want to join) is the lack of a football team. Yes, it’s an investment costing millions and millions of dollars, but if Gonzaga could find the funding, it would eventually bring in millions every year.

I imagine it would be a very long process, with the team starting out in DII or DIII (I don’t even know what the divisions are called). But I think we’d take a bigger and bigger share of the local talent pool, and at some point we’d be at Whitworth’s level. Some time after that, we could be in the Big Sky (not for the basketball program obviously). And finally, the PAC comes calling.

Pipe dream? Perhaps, but Spokane is more than ready to support a major college football team. As it sits now, we can drive to either Pullman or Cheney for a game. In Spokane itself, there’s Whitworth, high school football, and arena football. Can you imagine having a huge football stadium close to GU’s campus? Wouldn’t that be a project worth investing in for not just GU, but for the entire community?

TexasZagFan
06-29-2018, 10:45 AM
How long do you think it would take to get a team going again? I’m sure this topic has been discussed at length before, but this seems like the right time to bring it up again.

I’ll bet the only thing keeping GU out of the PAC (assuming we want to join) is the lack of a football team. Yes, it’s an investment costing millions and millions of dollars, but if Gonzaga could find the funding, it would eventually bring in millions every year.

I imagine it would be a very long process, with the team starting out in DII or DIII (I don’t even know what the divisions are called). But I think we’d take a bigger and bigger share of the local talent pool, and at some point we’d be at Whitworth’s level. Some time after that, we could be in the Big Sky (not for the basketball program obviously). And finally, the PAC comes calling.

Pipe dream? Perhaps, but Spokane is more than ready to support a major college football team. As it sits now, we can drive to either Pullman or Cheney for a game. In Spokane itself, there’s Whitworth, high school football, and arena football. Can you imagine having a huge football stadium close to GU’s campus? Wouldn’t that be a project worth investing in for not just GU, but for the entire community?

You need a lot more than the population of Spokane to support a major college team.

SMU, UNT, and TCU all reside in D/FW, with a population approaching 7 million. Only TCU has found success recently, because they're members of the Big-12. UNT & TCU are second or third tier programs, they're lucky when they draw 20,000 to a home game.

Trying to resurrect the football program at Gonzaga is fool's gold.

ETA: Watch college football wither away when CTE class action suits commence over the next decade.

Zagceo
06-29-2018, 11:09 AM
You need a lot more than the population of Spokane to support a major college team.

SMU, UNT, and TCU all reside in D/FW, with a population approaching 7 million. Only TCU has found success recently, because they're members of the Big-12. UNT & TCU are second or third tier programs, they're lucky when they draw 20,000 to a home game.

Trying to resurrect the football program at Gonzaga is fool's gold.

ETA: Watch college/football wither away when CTE class action suits commence over the next decade.

the feeder system is on the decline

https://www.apnews.com/66e699491a3b478293620c1e5069dc9e

also laws restrict practice concerning full contact

http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/la-sp-high-school-football-20140722-story.html

GoZags
06-29-2018, 11:12 AM

The Board of Trustees and Board of Regents will never approve of football for Gonzaga. The topic has been broached, with deep pocket funding as part of the deal (i.e. from multi-billionaires). Very simply, it isn't seen as anything advantageous to Gonzaga University.

Zagdawg
06-29-2018, 12:30 PM
Whitworth averages approx 1600 fans per game- not a lot of interest in Spokane.

bartruff1
06-29-2018, 12:35 PM
In spite of the money.....I suspect football will go the same way as college boxing.....if I had a kid, I absolutely would not allow him to play.... the evidence is growing and the law suits are not far behind.... the recent tragedy at WSU will only add fuel to the fire...
Schools will be dropping football ......not starting it up

kitzbuel
06-29-2018, 12:40 PM
You really cannot look at the ND basketball deal outside of the greater football context. The basketball deal would not have happened on it's own.

The real question is, could GU survive as a basketball independent and could it set up a deal with the PAC12 or something? Maybe the Big East?

I dunno. Hate to lose the security blanket of a conference autobid.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Bogozags
06-29-2018, 03:01 PM
I like the idea as it would sure be a win for GU (not football) but I don't think the P12 would want to increase the credibility of GU by the P12 playing them as equals...for one thing it might hurt their recruiting, because GU hasn't had any success in recruiting Southern Cal and the P12 treating them as equals would increase GU's odds on landing one or two 5* players that might well go to a P12 school. I think it would be a win for GU and a lose for P12...jmho

But I do like the idea...

maynard g krebs
06-29-2018, 03:06 PM
I've read that the Pac 12 wants only major research institutions, hence no Boise State Trucking School or BYU, etc. Not sure what that has to do with the business of major college sports, but that's what I've read.

Bogozags
06-29-2018, 03:09 PM
I've read that the Pac 12 wants only major research institutions, hence no Boise State Trucking School or BYU, etc. Not sure what that has to do with the business of major college sports, but that's what I've read.

Now that you brought that up, I also recall that very reason as why Utah and Colorado were chased by P10; however, I would have loved watching BSU play in the P12...I believe Petersen would have stayed put...

thebigsmoove
06-29-2018, 04:37 PM
it doesn't have to be an either/or. We play 14 or 15 ooc games a year, if 8 of them were against PAC team, 4 home, 4 on the road, you still have plenty for big name games and a few cupcakes. Something like Arizona State, USC, Utah and Stanford at the Kennel would be pretty cool.

Do you understand the logistics of scheduling? Based on your comments (and those of many people complaing about yesterday’s announcement) i would wager not. No offense, but id recommend doing some research to better understand how it all comes together.

NotoriousZ
06-30-2018, 04:24 PM
The Board of Trustees and Board of Regents will never approve of football for Gonzaga. The topic has been broached, with deep pocket funding as part of the deal (i.e. from multi-billionaires). Very simply, it isn't seen as anything advantageous to Gonzaga University.

“Never” sounds like a long time. But then again, these current trustees and regents won’t be on their boards until the end of time either. Maybe in 10 years or so this topic will come up again.

Zagsker
06-30-2018, 04:39 PM
If GU ever went the football route the only conference that would remotely make sense both geographically and more important competition and attendance wise would be the Big Sky.

Imagine a football corridor of EWU-IDAHO-GU-MONTANA-MONTANA ST.

That would be money...would be the I-AA equivalent of the SEC

thebigsmoove
07-03-2018, 05:22 AM
It is insanely expensive to start a D1 football program from scratch. Ask the University of Charlotte. They only reason they agreed to do it was because they had a wealthy benefactor who bankrolled the whole thing.

MileHigh
07-03-2018, 05:50 AM
It is insanely expensive to start a D1 football program from scratch. Ask the University of Charlotte. They only reason they agreed to do it was because they had a wealthy benefactor who bankrolled the whole thing.

The scholarship cost of starting a D1 football program is prohibitive due to title 9. For every football scholarship (85 in d1 )you have to give a corresponding scholarship to a women's sport, which means bringing in 2 or 3 (at least) additional women's sports. 170 full rides at 65K per kid would be over 10 million dollars a year just for the scholarships.

thebigsmoove
07-03-2018, 06:09 AM
The scholarship cost of starting a D1 football program is prohibitive due to title 9. For every football scholarship (85 in d1 )you have to give a corresponding scholarship to a women's sport, which means bringing in 2 or 3 (at least) additional women's sports. 170 full rides at 65K per kid would be over 10 million dollars a year just for the scholarships.

Absolutely bonkers. And that doesnt even begin to cover coaching, travel, training, facilities, stadium, etc.

ZagzKrak
07-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Really just curious...where do you find 85 more schollies for women...we have BB, VB, Soccer, Softball already right? What else is there that has large teams? Not trying to be a smart ass just racking my brain to even think of anything else you could add.

thebigsmoove
07-03-2018, 07:06 AM
Really just curious...where do you find 85 more schollies for women...we have BB, VB, Soccer, Softball already right? What else is there that has large teams? Not trying to be a smart ass just racking my brain to even think of anything else you could add.

I honestly have no idea.

Zagdawg
07-03-2018, 08:18 AM
Lacrosse? Swimming/Diving?

thebigsmoove
07-03-2018, 08:51 AM
Lacrosse? Swimming/Diving?

Ice Hockey? Powderpuff Football?

Zagdawg
07-03-2018, 08:55 AM
Rugby, curling and lawn darts?

MileHigh
07-03-2018, 09:45 AM

usually schools balance out the football scollies through volleyball, Softball, and Gymnastics (about 50 total combined) and then offering more scholarships to women than men across all the other sports where there are both mens and womens teams. An example is that most schools give double or triple the number of golf and tennis scholarships to women as they do men. Same with soccer

maynard g krebs
07-03-2018, 10:47 AM
When Oregon added baseball 10 or 15 years ago, they dropped wrestling and added "competitive cheerleading" as a sport. Seriously.