Zagdawg
06-27-2018, 10:22 AM
Be Safe!!!

Weather forecast Friday 75 degrees Saturday and Sunday forecast at 77 degrees

Trooper Brian Moore

@wspd6pio
21m21 minutes ago
More
EXPECT HEAVY TRAFFIC OVER @SnoqualmiePass this weekend. @SpokaneHoopfest & 4th of July traffic could cause major delays. Plan your trip accordingly. @wastatepatrol will focus on collision causing violations such as speed, DUI & aggressive drivers. #BeSafe - (file photo)

Zagdawg
06-27-2018, 09:10 PM
Miami Heat guard Tyler Johnson remembers Hoopfest and childhood in Spokane

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jun/27/miami-heat-guard-tyler-johnson-remembers-hoopfest-/

Zagsker
06-27-2018, 10:23 PM
I think they should start putting pods of games in other parts of Spokane.

Hillyard and Garland districts would be good spots. They have done upgrades and those areas could use some economic support. Maybe teams are assigned there for one of the days and then have one day downtown...just a thought

bigblahla
06-28-2018, 05:30 AM

Hillyard and Garland districts would be good spots. They have done upgrades and those areas could use some economic support. Maybe teams are assigned there for one of the days and then have one day downtown...just a thought

+1000, I concur, would be great for Hillyard and Garland districts...

Go!! Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
06-28-2018, 06:50 AM

Spreading out creates safety and security staffing issues not too mention EMS coverage issues as there is limited resources for these critical support functions

Then

At the risk of violent crime and property crime to participants. hottest sectors for crime in spokane....creates a difficult task even harder to maintain safety and security as well as potential long term harm to hoopfest brand.....

Not sure at this time that would be in best interest of participants, vendors or those attending

But my view tends to be skewed toward safety issues

willandi
06-28-2018, 08:49 AM
Spreading out creates safety and security staffing issues not too mention EMS coverage issues as there is limited resources for these critical support functions

Then

At the risk of violent crime and property crime to participants. hottest sectors for crime in spokane....creates a difficult task even harder to maintain safety and security as well as potential long term harm to hoopfest brand.....

Not sure at this time that would be in best interest of participants, vendors or those attending

But my view tends to be skewed toward safety issues

The logistics of traveling between pods would be difficult, at best. Parents/fans/siblings with 2 or more pods would be hard pressed to see the games, even if a shuttle system were in place.

Why mess with something that is so successful?

soccerdud
06-28-2018, 08:59 AM
The logistics of traveling between pods would be difficult, at best. Parents/fans/siblings with 2 or more pods would be hard pressed to see the games, even if a shuttle system were in place.

Why mess with something that is so successful?

i think the goal is to spread the benefits of hoopfest around. but i'd suggest that attempting to do so is far more likely to kill the golden goose than actually accomplish that noble goal.

Shanachie
06-28-2018, 09:06 AM

I kind of like the concept, but as I think about this, I would not be happy if my kids were assigned to a pod in those areas. For me, it's not a safety issue. I pay an obscene amount of money to stay at a downtown hotel so that we can be close to the action and have a place to go to cool off between games, etc. The last thing I want to do is have to commute to another neighborhood.

Zagdawg
06-28-2018, 09:21 AM
Many sponsors/businesses love the captive audiences downtown-- the spreading out of the event would "share the wealth" with many businesses but also cut into many businesses profits.

willandi
06-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Many sponsors/businesses love the captive audiences downtown-- the spreading out of the event would "share the wealth" with many businesses but also cut into many businesses profits.

True but my old boss had his Jewelry Store in the Downtown Skywalk. He was being forced to pay X per square foot (I don't remember the amount but think it was something like $15-25/sq foot. Several thousand for him and it is why he moved out of downtown). He was far enough away that he saw no additional traffic and, because of parking etc, traffic was substantially diminished. PLUS, who comes to Hoopfest and wants to buy high end jewelry?

Zagdawg
06-28-2018, 10:11 AM
Let me clarify-- hotels, restaurants, and other businesses associated with the sports event downtown.

bigblahla
06-28-2018, 12:38 PM
The Garland District would be easy to accommodate.... and there are businesses there to support it too....

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagdawg
06-28-2018, 08:17 PM
Gonzaga Guru and 8 others liked

Przemek Karnowski

Verified account

@PKarnowski
19h19 hours ago
More
Spokane ✈️��

Zagdawg
06-28-2018, 08:29 PM
Gonzaga basketball sets dates for Kraziness in the Kennel, FanFest and players’ appearances at Hoopfest

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jun/28/gonzaga-sets-dates-for-kraziness-fanfest-and-playe/

Zagdawg
06-29-2018, 07:19 AM
How to do Hoopfest right, whether you're a player or spectator

https://www.inlander.com/spokane/how-to-do-hoopfest-right-whether-youre-a-player-or-spectator/Content?oid=10600916

Zagdawg
06-30-2018, 07:36 AM
Nigel running a camp at Hoopfest for the kiddoes......

https://twitter.com/Lukens_At_Large/status/1012769467179253760

On eve of Hoopfest, former Gonzaga great Nigel Williams-Goss leads skills camp for kids, talks about his future plans
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jun/29/on-eve-of-hoopfest-former-gonzaga-great-nigel-will/

NontradZag
07-01-2018, 06:51 PM
Any insight into the weekend, Elite winners? Old Dawgs representing? Saw in the Hoopfest app that my basketball Jedi Shann Ferch cruised through his bracket. KD show up again this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zags_Fanatic
07-01-2018, 08:37 PM
Any insight into the weekend, Elite winners? Old Dawgs representing? Saw in the Hoopfest app that my basketball Jedi Shann Ferch cruised through his bracket. KD show up again this year?

Mike Hart won the elite 6+ bracket for the second year in a row.