PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Williams to Play for Lakers in Summer League

Zagdawg
06-22-2018, 01:29 PM
Happy he is getting a shot at this dream.

Bill Oram

Verified account

@billoram
37m37 minutes ago
More
The Lakers will sign Johnathan Williams from Gonzaga to their summer league roster. As @MikeAScotto reported last night, they already added UNC's Joel Berry and OkSt's Jeffrey Carroll.

ZagNative
06-22-2018, 01:48 PM
Yipee! Knock 'em dead, JW!

jazzdelmar
06-22-2018, 01:56 PM
JW over LiAngelo all day. Papa Mouth not going to be happy.

Mr Vulture
06-22-2018, 02:44 PM
Good signing for the Lakers. He has the athleticism and motor for the NBA, question is the shooting ability primarily. Maybe this can turn into a G League opportunity for him.

ZagNative
06-22-2018, 03:09 PM
I've got JW's Summer League games noted on my calendar, the first three games in Sacramento's Summer League series and the last three starting out the Las Vegas series:

https://i.imgur.com/Jat7Qjp.jpg

Edited to add the TV listings for the games.

Zagger
06-22-2018, 04:42 PM
Super :) Have a great summer J3!

ZagaholicPodcast
06-22-2018, 05:45 PM

But to be fair, you also take a used water cooler over LiAngelo.

Mantua
06-22-2018, 05:45 PM
News that makes my day!

Ezag
06-22-2018, 08:21 PM

Haha! LiAngelo, what a joke!

Nevada Don
06-22-2018, 09:05 PM
Hope JW does well and catches his dream. My FAV Zag the last two seasons.
I heard Jock Landale will be with the Atlanta Hawks but not positive.

KStyles
06-22-2018, 10:04 PM
Hope JW does well and catches his dream. My FAV Zag the last two seasons.
I heard Jock Landale will be with the Atlanta Hawks but not positive.

I heard that too, Chris Haynes tweeted it:

https://i.imgur.com/9iHdUpk.png (https://i.imgur.com/9iHdUpk.png)

ZagaholicPodcast
06-23-2018, 05:22 AM
Haha! LiAngelo, what a joke!

That kid wrecked the lives of two of his kids. Will be harder for both of them to make it to the NBA, now.

TexasZagFan
06-23-2018, 05:58 AM
That kid wrecked the lives of two of his kids. Will be harder for both of them to make it to the NBA, now.

The kids are/will be wealthy, but will fade into oblivion. Lonzo will probably have a decent career, though will never match the hype that he garnered at UCLA.

Bogozags
06-23-2018, 06:06 AM
The kids are/will be wealthy, but will fade into oblivion. Lonzo will probably have a decent career, though will never match the hype that he garnered at UCLA.

It is an absolute shame what happened in China and after the penalties were passed down, only Ball and his kid were the ones without character. I hope eventually, that Ball's kids are able to break away from their idiot father, who it appears lives through his childrens successes...

Why are there so many narcissistic people in the world that have so much power over people?

Jstock12
06-23-2018, 06:10 AM

Yeah, LiAngelo is just not an NBA level talent. He's not even a Euroleague level talent. He was meh in the Lithuanian league.

ZagaholicPodcast
06-23-2018, 06:11 AM

The loss of wealth potential is staggering. They have also lost some semblance of self. They are an extension of their father's caricature. Lonzo Ball's VORP was 1.7. His OBPM was -0.8. And His PER? 12.5.

He could certainly pull up on the rudder, but that's an awful start for a player with his supposed abilities.

Aside from that, while J3 can't really shoot it from distance, the rest of his game actually fits the new '5' profile pretty well. And again, if Larry Nance Jr. can fool people into believing he's a basketball player, J3 should be a shoe-in...all things being logical.

raise the zag
06-23-2018, 06:24 AM
J3 is exactly the type of player I'd want as a reserve, teammate, & ability in the NBA.

I don't see any reason he won't carve out a role.

He does everything well enough for a League back up, & improving on FT's.

He can do it all, and just atheltic and versatile enough. I think what holds him back is his lack of rim protection given his fairly long, atheltic, bouncy game. He really should have more blocks.

Otherwise, he is tough, can rebound, play a hybrid role, plug n play, energy, athleticism, rebound, has shown he can shoot in past, etc.

I think he sneaks onto a roster this year.

ZagaholicPodcast
06-23-2018, 06:38 AM
J3 is exactly the type of player I'd want as a reserve, teammate, & ability in the NBA.

I don't see any reason he won't carve out a role.

He does everything well enough for a League back up, & improving on FT's.

He can do it all, and just atheltic and versatile enough. I think what holds him back is his lack of rim protection given his fairly long, atheltic, bouncy game. He really should have more blocks.

Otherwise, he is tough, can rebound, play a hybrid role, plug n play, energy, athleticism, rebound, has shown he can shoot in past, etc.

I think he sneaks onto a roster this year.

And he can run those high PnR's + crash on cheating big's who might try to help up-top.

bballbeachbum
06-23-2018, 07:40 AM
this will be fun to follow
RTZ with another great post, but going to disagree with RTZ on one point; found J3 to be strong rim protector and help side defender, block stat or no. I remember the SMC game 2 seasons ago when Few used J3 as the help defender on the pick and roll, leaving Pineau open in the corner, and he was great at it. maybe the most versatile defender GU has had? Idk, but he'd be in the discussion. if he can hit open jumpers when defenses collapse off of him and dare him to make them.......

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-23-2018, 07:57 AM
JWIII&D!

Bogozags
06-23-2018, 10:30 AM
JW has so much heart and such a great attitude...I think he will catch on somewhere...maybe not in the League but surely overseas where he will be a leader.

Jock is also a hard worker as is evident from his junior to senior year...it would be nice to see them receive a fair chance in NBA Summer League. I can't recall any GU un-drafted players getting a what I call a "fair look" in the NBASL..maybe this will be the year...

Did Melson get an invite?

OntZags
06-23-2018, 12:04 PM
Did Melson get an invite?

Melson signed a two year deal with Lavrio in Greece.

sittingon50
06-23-2018, 12:15 PM
Melson signed a two year deal with Lavrio in Greece.

Thanks Ont. Had not heard that.

Vanzagger
06-23-2018, 12:23 PM
The loss of wealth potential is staggering. They have also lost some semblance of self. They are an extension of their father's caricature. Lonzo Ball's VORP was 1.7. His OBPM was -0.8. And His PER? 12.5.

He could certainly pull up on the rudder, but that's an awful start for a player with his supposed abilities.

Aside from that, while J3 can't really shoot it from distance, the rest of his game actually fits the new '5' profile pretty well. And again, if Larry Nance Jr. can fool people into believing he's a basketball player, J3 should be a shoe-in...all things being logical.

Larry Nance Jr had a nice World Championship. Project his numbers out to starterís minutes he is a double/double guy with a few helpers sprinkled in. He may never get 20+ minutes since there is that Crohnís thing.

MDABE80
06-23-2018, 02:11 PM
No other former players in Summer league? I thought Pangos would be asked. No Wiltjer??

ZagaholicPodcast
06-23-2018, 02:27 PM
No other former players in Summer league? I thought Pangos would be asked. No Wiltjer??

Pangos took a huge deal to stay in Europe.

JPtheBeasta
06-23-2018, 03:08 PM
Pangos took a huge deal to stay in Europe.

+1

According to Twitterverse, he had some NBA interest but would have likely had to take less money. NBA dream vs Big Money in Europe... I can't blame him for staying.

ZagaholicPodcast
06-23-2018, 06:36 PM
+1

According to Twitterverse, he had some NBA interest but would have likely had to take less money. NBA dream vs Big Money in Europe... I can't blame him for staying.

The NBA would be awesome, but I can't imagine he would have made even half of what he got from his Europe deal. And he'll be in the one of the biggest leagues outside of the NBA. Not to mention, he may also be getting perks from the team outside of the raw dough, and the possibility of endorsements?

raise the zag
06-23-2018, 11:17 PM
The NBA would be awesome, but I can't imagine he would have made even half of what he got from his Europe deal. And he'll be in the one of the biggest leagues outside of the NBA. Not to mention, he may also be getting perks from the team outside of the raw dough, and the possibility of endorsements?

NBA League minimum is $580,000, Pangos just signed a deal for over $3 million per year in Europe.

Not to mention, housing and even tax assistance/perks.

GeorgiaZagFan
06-29-2018, 09:55 AM

I see where a former opponent in Jock Landale is playing for the Atlanta Hawks summer league team..(I live in Atlanta)
Does he have any chance in the NBA?

Zags_Fanatic
06-29-2018, 10:00 AM
I see where a former opponent in Jock Landale is playing for the Atlanta Hawks summer league team..(I live in Atlanta)

I don't say this often about SMC players but I wish Jock nothing but success at the next level. Great player with great work ethic that has earned a spot at the table. Without question my all-time favorite Gael.

Robzagnut
06-29-2018, 10:37 AM

I don't think so. If Karno couldn't make it Landale won't either. The NBA these days is all about 7 footers who can play defense out to the 3 point line on switches, don't clog the middle and can shoot the 3 pointer. That's why big back-to-the basket players like Roy Hibbert, Jahlil Okafor, Willie Cauley-Stein etc. don't play.

Strange to think that guys like Moses Malone, Wes Unseld, or Truck Robinson wouldn't be drafted in the new NBA era of small ball.

ZagaholicPodcast
06-29-2018, 03:31 PM
I don't think so. If Karno couldn't make it Landale won't either. The NBA these days is all about 7 footers who can play defense out to the 3 point line on switches, don't clog the middle and can shoot the 3 pointer. That's why big back-to-the basket players like Roy Hibbert, Jahlil Okafor, Willie Cauley-Stein etc. don't play.

Strange to think that guys like Moses Malone, Wes Unseld, or Truck Robinson wouldn't be drafted in the new NBA era of small ball.

Things will get so unbalanced, that at some point some coach will brave "the cold", strategically, and bring in some 'traditional' big's.