PDA

View Full Version : BYU article on a slow day

sittingon50
06-15-2018, 01:14 PM
(Mods feel free to move when appropriate)

https://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/basketball/men/analysis-a-statistical-look-at-the-dave-rose-era-with/article_1817b5d0-3a59-52bd-81ea-7c2604104962.html

zagamatic
06-15-2018, 01:54 PM
The article really hits the nail on the head in that BYU shoots themselves in the foot with bad losses which makes it easy for the committee to say no thanks.

Zags_Fanatic
06-15-2018, 10:20 PM
Noticed in the sidebar that Emery will be back next season after a 9 game suspension. I must have missed the news but didn't realize anything was official yet.

MickMick
06-16-2018, 06:26 AM
The program is at a level where they can occasionally beat GU at the Kennel, but I have to say, GU fans know that it is the post season that means the most, and that is where BYU has been seriously lacking.

Here is where I think the big difference is between GU and BYU is. Mark Few schedules early season tournaments almost every season. It isn't just about preparing the team. It is about preparing the entire program to deal with the logistics. Everyone from the equipment managers to the information director are being conditioned to handle a tournament format. When GU enters post season, everyone is familiar with their job and alleviates Mark Few from additional stress. His time can be focused on the team. For example, one simple screw up can have the team waiting for a bus for an additional half hour. Several screw ups can have a cumulative effect.

In my mind, the best way for BYU to elevate it's program is to win in post season, and the best way to accomplish that would be by "practicing" the tournament format as a program. At a minimum, it would help in the conference tournament regardless if they have a bad conference loss or not, as winning the auto bid is likely the easiest, quickest way for BYU to find immediate relief.

ZagaholicPodcast
06-16-2018, 08:16 AM
Dave Rose was effective in his capacity. He is beyond his capacity. BYU needs to hire someone that get take the step to that next level.

ZagsGoZags
06-16-2018, 10:54 AM
thanks for posting the article