06-12-2018, 08:07 PM
Will Maupin from the @WillsWCCblog posted this on Twitter:

G: Jeremy Pargo
G: Ira Brown
F: Elias Harris
F: Casey Calvary
C: Ronny Turiaf

Dunks, only

It's hard to argue with this list. Any better ideas? Micah Downs was pretty good. Although I wouldn't bump anyone off the list because of it, this one of Josh Heytvelt's is a favorite of mine-- in part because it is a rare dunk on an in-bounds play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZbMWANmgs

Radbooks
06-12-2018, 08:11 PM
I'd take off Elias and put on Micah. He was really good at dunking and was even in some contests - like at the Final Four.

webspinnre
06-12-2018, 08:12 PM
I'd take off Elias and put on Micah. He was really good at dunking and was even in some contests - like at the Final Four.

Agreed. Micah is one of the best dunkers we've ever had.

cggonzaga
06-12-2018, 08:42 PM
Anthony Reason. Matt Santangelo was a great dunker as well.

ZagzKrak
06-12-2018, 08:51 PM
I love Micah and Harris....but I gotta keep Harris....I can still see this ally-op pass to him and his hand was higher then anything I had ever seen..could've grabbed a quarter off the top of the backboard. He was by far my favorite dunker we have had.

webspinnre
06-12-2018, 08:57 PM
I think you could make a decent case for Downs over Brown as well, good as Ira is, and Micah can play the 2.

bartruff1
06-12-2018, 10:33 PM
Pargo and some others....

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-13-2018, 01:31 AM
This guy over Harris.

http://media.spokesman.com/static/sportsteam/img/apps/sportsteam_zags_bball/cards/knight-03-04.png

willandi
06-13-2018, 04:56 AM
My alltime favorite single dunk was Heytveldt off the opening tip.

Zaga
06-13-2018, 06:11 AM
Jeremy Pargo in the WSU game but called for the charge. Crap call but a great slam!

raise the zag
06-13-2018, 06:11 AM
Erroll Knight had at least a few of the all-time dunks at GU. He may not as been as emphatic as some, but his dunks came from the craziest angles and insane height on his throw downs i.e. behind the backboard, along the baseline, out of nowhere oops, etc.

Anthony Reason had some emotional slamma jamma's during his time too.

Heytvelt's out-of-bounds dunk plays were signature, unstoppable, and memorable.

Silas Melson SHOULD have dunked more, he had the ability, maybe highest verticals of all-time, but seemed almost shy in games, unless on a breakaway.

Killian Tillie has had a couple of good ones.

DixieZag
06-13-2018, 06:16 AM
JWIII didn't have the "poster" types, but he had some vicious "underneath in traffic" one-handers that always made me think helped us look the part of a top 5 team.

bballbeachbum
06-13-2018, 06:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK7UTUzJHZM

bballbeachbum
06-13-2018, 06:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl74GK6zoF0

raise the zag
06-13-2018, 06:27 AM
heytvelt's put back or "tip" jams off misses were 2nd to none. Always one handed and with authority.

rui quickly rising up the list. I thought he had some crazy dunks last season, esp in transition, or around guys.

Tillie's dunk vs Creighton was etched in my mind last year too. Killian finished off some nice high low alley-oops as well, has a lil Heytvelt in him.

bballbeachbum
06-13-2018, 06:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEIIwWPMIqA

NontradZag
06-13-2018, 07:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK7UTUzJHZM

This is my favorite as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hockeyzag
06-13-2018, 08:25 AM

My argument here is that Micah was an athletic jumper and a great dunker, but he wasn't a great in-game dunker. This was something he admitted (comparing himself to Pargo) when he and Jeremy Pargo were being interviewed at the NCAA dunk contest.

Think about how many highlight dunks Micah had during Gonzaga games, and then think about how many Elias had. I can't think of a single amazing Downs dunk, but I can think of multiple Harris dunks (just like I can for Pargo, Brown, and Heytvelt). The one at St. Mary's over Dellevadova, the one at home where he one handed the alley-oop from a Pangos pass against BYU.

If you can't do it in a game...

zagapotomus
06-13-2018, 08:58 AM
1 more vote for Heytvelt, especially during our 2006 game against UNC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqJS6ONXPE

raise the zag
06-13-2018, 09:49 AM
1 more vote for Heytvelt, especially during our 2006 game against UNC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqJS6ONXPE

Nice find.

One of my Top 5 games of all time. Remember that game like it was yesterday.

As good as we played that game it wasn't the best of seasons...

JPtheBeasta
06-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Nice find.

One of my Top 5 games of all time. Remember that game like it was yesterday.

As good as we played that game it wasn't the best of seasons...

Me too, at least for non-tournament games.

MDABE80
06-13-2018, 01:36 PM
Josh H, Casey C, Pargo, Micah, Ira......in no particular order. But Micah was SO underused!

bartruff1
06-13-2018, 01:59 PM
Josh H, Casey C, Pargo, Micah, Ira......in no particular order. But Micah was SO underused!

Pargo was a guard for crying out loud :)....I agree about Micah...but those teams were so talented....he did win the MVP of the WCC Tourney his senior year...

cjm720
06-13-2018, 05:57 PM
Pargo
Cavalry
Turiaf
Harris
Heyfelt

My list is based on dunks in games not based on contests or non games.

rennis
06-13-2018, 06:45 PM
He isn't really remembered for it but Frahm could throw down too. Especially his Sr. year when he was working on his resume and was taking it to the rack more and spotting up less for treys. He had some highlight reel hammers in K1 that never made it on film.

gonzagafan62
06-13-2018, 06:47 PM
Why has nobody mentioned Reed Schifferman????

GoZags
06-13-2018, 07:01 PM
Why has nobody mentioned Reed Schifferman????

Was just going to post this comment ..... ANY Gonzaga "All Dunk" team HAS to include Reed Schifferman. Period. End of Story.

gonzagafan62
06-13-2018, 07:15 PM
Was just going to post this comment ..... ANY Gonzaga "All Dunk" team HAS to include Reed Schifferman. Period. End of Story.

Amen!

sittingon50
06-13-2018, 08:19 PM
Couldn't find it on youtube, but I recall a Pargo to Heytvelt pass & dunk vs Texas (Durant, in Phoenix?).

Run-out, Pargo just inside half court lobs to JH. Looks like ball is going out of bounds, Josh goes up & saves it & one-hands it in one motion. Pretty sweet.

DixieZag
06-14-2018, 12:14 PM

The best thing about GUBoards is the opportunity to learn about the great pre-1999 history of Gonzaga basketball. I am presuming he is pre-1999 because I cannot recall the name.

Tell us a story, GZ

I'm also disappointed that no one seconded how great JWIII could be with his dunks from underneath, the "with attitude" sudden flush in traffic.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-14-2018, 12:41 PM

He can’t be that good. I’ve never seen his Youtube mix tape.

Angelo Roncalli
06-14-2018, 12:46 PM
He can’t be that good. I’ve never seen his Youtube mix tape.

Schiff's not on YouTube. You need a BetaMax.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-14-2018, 12:52 PM

My highlights are all shown on my mom’s VHS camcorder. The footage is wobbly beyond belief, filled with her raucous screaming, and usually included plenty of footage of gym ceilings and bleacher floors from small Montana high schools. She’d forget to keep filming whenever one of her boys made a play and start jumping up and down while holding the camera. Watching those videos gives people motion sickness.

bartruff1
06-14-2018, 01:27 PM
Ok...for a Honorable Mention ….there was Charlie Jordan who nearly led the Nation in rebounding at 14 per game along with averaging 12 points...played with Burgess in the late 50's/60's …

As improbable as it may sound, he never knew his father and was raised by his mother on a Indian Reservation near Palm Springs...won a basketball scholarship at Gonzaga, graduated, went on to graduate school at Loma Linda (USC) and was the first black Portland City Councilman …..and Director of Parks and Recreation...served on President Reagan's Outdoor Recreation Committee …. Awarded a Law Degree from Vermont......

DixieZag
06-14-2018, 02:12 PM
Ok...for a Honorable Mention ….there was Charlie Jordan who nearly led the Nation in rebounding at 14 per game along with averaging 12 points...played with Burgess in the late 50's/60's …

As improbable as it may sound, he never knew his father and was raised by his mother on a Indian Reservation near Palm Springs...won a basketball scholarship at Gonzaga, graduated, went on to graduate school at Loma Linda (USC) and was the first black Portland City Councilman …..and Director of Parks and Recreation...served on President Reagan's Outdoor Recreation Committee …. Awarded a Law Degree from Vermont......

Now that's a nice story.

Sounds like they started defining being a "Zag" real early, somewhat like Burgess' story himself. Wish I could have met/seen him.

bartruff1
06-14-2018, 02:16 PM
Dixie....that story was more or less for you...there was a fire brand black lawyer in Spokane at the time, Carl Maxey, and he mentored the half dozen black kids at Gonzaga...

DixieZag
06-14-2018, 03:43 PM
Dixie....that story was more or less for you...there was a fire brand black lawyer in Spokane at the time, Carl Maxey, and he mentored the half dozen black kids at Gonzaga...

Well, it was a great story that I'm sure many will appreciate, so thank you.

GoZags
06-14-2018, 04:29 PM
Tell us a story, GZ

Here's the story that I told 8 years ago ... and while the Schifferman dunk referenced in the link didn't shatter the backboard (and yes ... they WERE glass backboards back then) it WAS definitely a rim-shaking jam ......

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?29521-Greatest-quot-zags-quot-memory-you-have-that-you-witnessed-IN-PERSON&p=577771#post577771

Zag3377
06-22-2018, 11:22 PM

I think we only had super8 back then.