PDA

View Full Version : Brock Ravet

kortus3
06-11-2018, 07:00 AM
Brock and his high school team came to my town for a summer basketball tournament. I was extremely impressed by his passing abilities and his ability to make his teammates better. He helped his team overcome a 10 pt deficit to Selah who has a very good player in Elijah Pepper who is getting looks from some smaller D-1 schools. He has a tremendous step back as well but what was most impressive to me was his passing abilities. Very excited to see him wear a Zags uniform.

JPtheBeasta
06-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Brock and his high school team came to my town for a summer basketball tournament. I was extremely impressed by his passing abilities and his ability to make his teammates better. He helped his team overcome a 10 pt deficit to Selah who has a very good player in Elijah Pepper who is getting looks from some smaller D-1 schools. He has a tremendous step back as well but what was most impressive to me was his passing abilities. Very excited to see him wear a Zags uniform.

Thanks for the info. It’s always nice to hear from someone who saw him play in person.

bballbeachbum
06-11-2018, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the info. It’s always nice to hear from someone who saw him play in person.

+1

ZagNative
06-26-2018, 03:45 PM
Some video of Brock posted today ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpGhSbuLFn0

Reborn
06-26-2018, 04:31 PM

It's a beautiful thing to see. And how about his dribbling? Did you witness that too? I'm glad to hear that you saw him play Selah with Pepper. My grandson played for Selah. So I watched Selah play for like 4 years. I have always wanted to see the match up between Pepper and Ravet. Glad to hear Kittitas won. I'm not a Pepper fan at all. He's the most selfish player I've ever seen. Yes. He is talented and will play someplace in college. Probably at Central Washi like his dad. However, Ravet on the other hand is the real deal and I'm glad you were able to see them play on the same floor.

Reborn
06-26-2018, 04:47 PM
Great video of him ZN. Thanks. That's how he plays. Things to notice. He is a very good shooter as you all know. But I love his attacking style when he has the ball. I really like his dribbling and his cross over. Notice the speed of that cross-over and how low to the ground the ball is. And he can go both ways. GU is loaded at the guard positions, and it's going to tough to get playing time. Often, when there are so many guards, the determining factor, imo, is confidence. They will all have the tools, but who will be the one or two who are confident enough to display those talents, live, on a basketball floor with thousands of fans screaming. I admit, I like Ravet's confidence. And one thing everyone notice is his passing. Notice the speed of his passing. Notice how straight they are and when the receiver of his passes get the ball in the perfect place to be ready for a shot. Most of his passes are bullet passes. One thing you will notice about High School guards who will play in college is that they can pass.

Bogozags
06-26-2018, 05:18 PM
What is his number?

soccerdud
06-26-2018, 05:38 PM
What is his number?

he's #20 in that video.

thespywhozaggedme
06-26-2018, 05:52 PM
What is UAA? Is that a new competitor to AAU ball?

bdmiller7
06-26-2018, 05:56 PM
What is UAA? Is that a new competitor to AAU ball?

Pretty sure it's the circuit, Under Armour Association.

thespywhozaggedme
06-26-2018, 08:24 PM
Pretty sure it's the circuit, Under Armour Association.

Oh, okay cool. Thanks

hooter73
06-27-2018, 08:34 AM
Some of the best defense that Stockton and Pangos ever played was their ability to see where to place themselves to take a charge. If he can do that, he will get a lot more college playing time.

Mr Vulture
06-27-2018, 08:51 AM
The biggest takeaway from this video for me was that it looks like Brock has added some weight, which is good. He still has a lot of room to physically develop but it looks like he's been working. Otherwise, his offensive game and feel is very good, as usual. He will have a lot of work to do on his defense, which we already knew, to earn significant playing time early in his GU career.

raise the zag
06-27-2018, 11:30 AM
The biggest takeaway from this video for me was that it looks like Brock has added some weight, which is good. He still has a lot of room to physically develop but it looks like he's been working. Otherwise, his offensive game and feel is very good, as usual. He will have a lot of work to do on his defense, which we already knew, to earn significant playing time early in his GU career.

An offensive star in the making, really natural feel, aggressive, smart, & a knack for hitting tough shots all over the court. excited for him as a scorer and playmaker and shooter...that said, his defense is very much a work in progress. And thats putting it mildly. Quite possibly the least effective on ball defender I've ever seen in a GU recruit. Pangos was light years ahead of him defensively at the same stage.

Ravet is good enough to play right out the gate, yet his defense will need to be hidden. I'm not talking about only ball screen issues rather any dribble drive, he is chasing and lost on pull up jumpers, shot fakes, & goodnight with any sort of screen.

We have an excellent coaching staff and will develop him, yet something doesn't click for Brock on that side of the court. It will hold him back until he's at least serviceable. Maybe taking charges will do it?

But again, I think he becomes a star at Gonzaga. I think he is just as good as Kevin Pangos, at least offensively. And really like his mindset with the ball, which can be uncoachable. An innate ability to find seams, and knock down amazing shots. his offensive potential is through the roof.

bballbeachbum
06-27-2018, 12:26 PM
thanks ZN, that was fun to watch. I think it was maynard who said he was a DD clone in another thread. he does kind of resemble him and how he looks out there

anyway, I saw the dribbling and passing Reborn :)
he did a lot of drawing the d and passing to set up his teammates in those highlights, looked like the D was trying to maybe take away the perimeter, so he did other things besides shoot, and he set up his teammates all over, in rhythm set ups, nice passes in the pocket on the move. not sure if he got to the rim, maybe once, but effective in other ways off the bounce

psyched to watch him learn how to defend, like RTZ

maynard g krebs
06-27-2018, 01:07 PM
I think it was maynard who said he was a DD clone in another thread. he does kind of resemble him and how he looks out there

Not exactly. I pointed out some similarities in terms of how they were rated/evaluated as recruits, in response to people questioning the recruitment of Ravet due to perceived defensive liabilities. In highlights, I do think he's highly gifted offensively and that he has a chance to be a star.

But you never know. I was in Eugene a decade ago for the Oregon 6a title game, South Medford/Kyle Singler v Lake Oswego/Kevin Love. Singler fouled out either late in the 3rd or early in the 4th trying to guard Love in the post, and it looked like lights out for SM. But SM's Mike Harthun, playing with a heavily taped/stitched up shooting hand, made 3 or 4 tough contested 3's late to defeat Love's team. (Earlier in the year, he scored 30 against Oak Hill in the Les Schwab Invitational.) When he went to WSU to play for Tony Bennett, I thought he'd be close to as good there as Blake Stepp was for GU. He would up as a role player for Portland State.

Reborn
06-27-2018, 02:13 PM
One thing that hasn't been talked about yet about Ravet's game is his pull-up jump shot from any place on the court. In this way, he does remind me of Dickau. From all the tape I've watched, I have not found any recruit who can shoot that shot like Ravet. And the way he does it is so beautiful. He can shot that shot anywhere, and what makes it so beautiful is that he often does one or two crossover dribbles. I love his crossover dribble. He also passes really well when performing that move, so a defender doesn't have any idea whether Ravet will shoot the pull-up pumper out of that crossover move, or whether he's going to pass it to the corner for a wide open shot. His excellent ability to get inside the defense and draw the defenders into him, and than make that pass to the corner, is truly impressive.

He seems taller now than when I saw him a year ago. Maybe 2 or 3 inches taller.

Zagceo
06-27-2018, 03:39 PM
i trust the coaching staff .....seems they went the NBA way...draft early on potential IMO

Bogozags
06-28-2018, 04:19 AM
he's #20 in that video.

Thanks!

I watched the video again and he is very much a patient and under-control type player...he has quickness and can take his defender to the hoop and also has a keen eye in finding the open man. I couldn't see the mechanics of his jumper but he made what he shot. Didn't see any individual play on defence but also didn't see him being scored upon either...It has been awhile since I evaluated talent based on one viewing but he appears to have the requisite skills to play for GU. We will have to see how he can adjust to the speed of D1 on both ends of the court.

I also like #1 on Brock's team as well, wonder what his age, grade, position and height might be...

ZN thanks for posting!

bartruff1
06-28-2018, 06:14 AM
I am certainly no expert.... but am skeptical ….. obviously the staff has done a very good job of recruiting.... but they have also recruited a number of players who contributed very little and have transferred out to less competitive programs...

Potential is just that....potential...

bballbeachbum
06-28-2018, 06:57 AM
Not exactly. I pointed out some similarities in terms of how they were rated/evaluated as recruits, in response to people questioning the recruitment of Ravet due to perceived defensive liabilities. In highlights, I do think he's highly gifted offensively and that he has a chance to be a star.

thanks for the clarification.
anyway, he looks like DD to me, including the perceived defensive liabilities, or more accurate, the apparent defensive liabilities, at least at this point.
agree with Reborn he looks like he's grown since the last videos of him I saw posted here, looks more cut too
wish I could see him play live like many of you have, or at least a video of an entire game. thanks for the reports

willandi
06-28-2018, 08:52 AM
I wonder if Brock, being his HS teams best offensive player, has been encouraged to not play as hard on defense, in order to save energy for offense?

I don't know, just a thought, and if so I am sure the Zag coaches will work hard on that.

Robzagnut
06-28-2018, 10:55 AM
I wonder if Brock, being his HS teams best offensive player, has been encouraged to not play as hard on defense, in order to save energy for offense?

I don't know, just a thought, and if so I am sure the Zag coaches will work hard on that.

Hmmm... Can't think of any instance where a coach would ask a player to not play defense, so their offense wouldn't suffer.

soccerdud
06-28-2018, 11:40 AM
Hmmm... Can't think of any instance where a coach would ask a player to not play defense, so their offense wouldn't suffer.

one example: trae young this season.

zagsfanforlife
06-28-2018, 12:01 PM

Morrison has admitted to it at times that he conserved energy on the defensive end for his offense.

webspinnre
06-28-2018, 03:52 PM
Heck, Lebron did quite a bit of that this year, picking his spots on defense to conserve energy not only for offense, but for a long season so that he'd be more fresh in the playoffs.

bballbeachbum
06-28-2018, 05:56 PM
one example: trae young this season.

I did not know Trae Young was instructed to not defend so he could conserve energy for O.
moreover, that strategy failed miserably if true as teams schemed him silly to take him out of his O; if he was told not to defend, no wonder Oklahoma sucked so bad as their leader became a non factor on both ends of the floor

Spoko13
06-28-2018, 07:10 PM
Watched him today against a very average Lake Stevens team......he can shoot for sure....they basically ran spread pick and roll for him all game.......and he doesn’t have much help......there are JV teams in the GSL that could compete with them....

I really wanted to be all in on this kid as I was excited to see a small town Eastern Washington kid do work at Gonzaga, but unfortunately I think this is a miss.....he’s just not athletic or quick enough for Gonzaga at our current National level......he’s a prototypical old school GU guard......just not what we need now......Norvell is in another league....

Also, Pangos was better....quicker and stronger.....

Think Jesse Wade......and the kid will be at EWU after deciding he’d rather play than ride the bench....

Hope I’m wrong

ZagaholicPodcast
06-28-2018, 07:31 PM
Watched him today against a very average Lake Stevens team......he can shoot for sure....they basically ran spread pick and roll for him all game.......and he doesn’t have much help......there are JV teams in the GSL that could compete with them....

I really wanted to be all in on this kid as I was excited to see a small town Eastern Washington kid do work at Gonzaga, but unfortunately I think this is a miss.....he’s just not athletic or quick enough for Gonzaga at our current National level......he’s a prototypical old school GU guard......just not what we need now......Norvell is in another league....

Think Jesse Wade......and the kid will be at EWU after deciding he’d rather play than ride the bench....

Hope I’m wrong

Careful. Not drinking the kool aid will get you chastised and ridiculed. Critical thinking is not a virtue in these parts.

Spoko13
06-28-2018, 08:42 PM
Careful. Not drinking the kool aid will get you chastised and ridiculed. Critical thinking is not a virtue in these parts.

Certainly not trying to offend.....just one man’s honest opinion.......but like I said, I hope I’m wrong.

maynard g krebs
06-28-2018, 09:50 PM

Oh, come on. You call that critical thinking? I call it stereotypical thinking; essentially saying he's a slow, unathletic white kid from a small town ("prototypical old school GU guard').

I don't like to make evaluations w/o seeing at least a game, if not a couple, but in the absence of that I'll go with what the people who evaluate for a living say. 247 composite says Ravet is 78th in his class. Neither Pangos nor Dickau cracked the consensus top 100. As to the Wade comparison, the 2 year layoff and bad shoulder kind of make that comp moot imo.

Dickau reportedly is high on Ravet, as is former player Reborn.

Newby posters with no track record of player evaluation here need to be taken w/ a grain of salt, at least when their evals are negative.

Btw, one site w/ data of Ravet says he has a 35 inch vert.

MDABE80
06-28-2018, 10:19 PM
Well at the least we have a superior shooter. We could do worse I guess. Maybe his D will come along. I don't know if he's a front liner but everyone's agreed he's good for some points. He's got another year of HS to develop. We'll see how he does. Piling up points in short spurts is desireable!! defense wins games and championships. Points do too. My always strong preference is D. But a sharpshooter helps..

cjm720
06-29-2018, 12:21 AM
Not sure why we have to have such division with a recruit. Enjoy the process and see where it goes...too many on this board want to be bold and predict a players success before coming on campus. I have no idea how successful he will be as it largely will depend on what’s between his ears but I do see a kid who can shoot, drive, dish, has decent size and lots of room to fill out. And isn’t his dad a coach? So many pros versus cons, yet so many naysayers for the sake of naysaying.

Go Brock go!

zag67
06-29-2018, 05:37 AM
CJM I agree. Go zags

Spoko13
06-29-2018, 05:56 AM
Oh, come on. You call that critical thinking? I call it stereotypical thinking; essentially saying he's a slow, unathletic white kid from a small town ("prototypical old school GU guard').

I don't like to make evaluations w/o seeing at least a game, if not a couple, but in the absence of that I'll go with what the people who evaluate for a living say. 247 composite says Ravet is 78th in his class. Neither Pangos nor Dickau cracked the consensus top 100. As to the Wade comparison, the 2 year layoff and bad shoulder kind of make that comp moot imo.

Dickau reportedly is high on Ravet, as is former player Reborn.

Newby posters with no track record of player evaluation here need to be taken w/ a grain of salt, at least when their evals are negative.

Btw, one site w/ data of Ravet says he has a 35 inch vert.

The newbie can respect all of that except the stereotype part but I’ll let that pass without further comment.........the kid has the early accolades for sure.......I want to be a believer and hope I’m wrong......kid can definitely shoot though......BTW - only a 35 inch very in ideal conditions IMO.....nothing I saw would indicate anything
close to that. Who knows, maybe today will be different!!

raise the zag
06-29-2018, 06:08 AM

Hope I’m wrong

This screams troll to me and/or a veteran poster creating a new username to get something off their chest....hmmm...

Not buying it.

Zagceo
06-29-2018, 06:08 AM
The newbie can respect all of that except the stereotype part but I’ll let that pass without further comment.........the kid has the early accolades for sure.......I want to be a believer and hope I’m wrong......kid can definitely shoot though......BTW - only a 35 inch very in ideal conditions IMO.....nothing I saw would indicate anything
close to that. Who knows, maybe today will be different!!

nice response

Reborn
06-29-2018, 06:39 AM

Hope I’m wrongYour post is very interesting. I usually enjoy posts that have a different perspective, and posters who have their own ideas. But your post, in my opinion, goes to far and you seem to have a need to bash him, which I don't like. He's a Zag, and he hasn't even put on a Zag uni and yo're already bashing him. I'm really surprised that you saw him play.

Please watch the video that Zag Native posted. I seriously doubt that you've seen him play.

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-29-2018, 06:53 AM
This screams troll to me and/or a veteran poster creating a new username to get something off their chest....hmmm...

Not buying it.

My trolldar was beeping too.

Zagceo
06-29-2018, 07:02 AM
Critical = troll

Praise = kool aide

these are considered personal attacks IMO

Zagceo
06-29-2018, 07:08 AM
Your post is very interesting. I usually enjoy posts that have a different perspective, and posters who have their own ideas. But your post, in my opinion, goes to far and you seem to have a need to bash him, which I don't like. He's a Zag, and he hasn't even put on a Zag uni and yo're already bashing him. I'm really surprised that you saw him play.

Please watch the video that Zag Native posted. I seriously doubt that you've seen him play.

sorry reborn but I watched the video and what I noticed....all the other players. Could have been one off.

EEzag
06-29-2018, 07:12 AM
My trolldar was beeping too.

I've seen him play. Peeps not commenting on his ball control or passing....both are very good and his shot is well documented. His D needs improvement, but is better than advertised. He'll do great things at GU. He has a floater that he doesn't use much but when he does it is impressive. I haven't seen it in the videos but that floater is deadly, however, he'll need some more upper body mass to get that one off at GU.

Zagceo
06-29-2018, 07:14 AM
I've seen him play. Peeps not commenting on his ball control or passing....both are very good and his shot is well documented. His D needs improvement, but is better than advertised. He'll do great things at GU. He has a floater that he doesn't use much but when he does it is impressive. I haven't seen it in the videos but that floater is deadly, however, he'll need some more upper body mass to get that one off at GU.

good info

thats how to respond

Reborn
06-29-2018, 11:50 AM

That's a real good post. Thanks. I know you have it in you.

this post was meant to the poster from Spokane Spoko. Sorry.

Zagceo
06-29-2018, 03:11 PM
in case you missed these older video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG2H3LH7byw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MewhjV8Ir4

EEzag
06-29-2018, 03:13 PM
That's a real good post. Thanks. I know you have it in you.

?I didn't before?

Spoko13
06-29-2018, 05:02 PM
Call me a troll if you want.....been in Spokane since 95.....and been a huge Zag fan since 98 or so. I confess I didn't really know much about Gonzaga or their basketball program when I moved to Spokane, until they started making headlines beating someone top 5 up in Alaska......and then after the Calvary tip in I was hooked..

As for watching him, yes, I did......team camp II was this week --- lots of opportunities this week to see him and Anton and Banchero from O'dea among others (Banchero hurt his ankle this afternoon) this week --- heck even saw Brandon Clarke referring a couple games..........there is no admittance fee....schedule posted on the wall in the new facility........you could have walked in and watched any game you wanted from Kittitas to the Billings, MT freshman squad if that floats your boat......

I have also seen him in person with WA Supreme in Bellevue......I was actually more impressed with him on the AAU circuit because I thought that he looked like he belonged on the floor against a much higher level of competition. I've seen a lot of these guys up close --- they are freak athletes for the most part - just different kinds of dudes.........against whomever he played (and they weren't good) he just didn't look "different" while watching that whole game.......

Bottom line, hope I'm wrong and I'm rooting for the kid to prove the doubters wrong (heck, I'm one of those who didn't think Curry was going to be anything more than a stand in the corner 3 pt specialist in the NBA!!) .....I didn't get to see Ravet play after that and maybe he was crazy good in those other games and would have blown me away. My post was just one guys view from one game........take it with a grain of salt........

***I was thinking as well that perhaps the Zags are wary of missing out on another kid from small-town Eastern WA that they didn't think was good enough for Gonzaga (Joe Harris) and they are determined not to make that mistake again.......wouldn't that be something if he develops like Mr. Harris did!!!

Go Zags!

bartruff1
06-29-2018, 07:08 PM
Spoko you are probably wrong....I think he will end up playing at Central …..rather than Eastern....:D

thespywhozaggedme
06-29-2018, 08:01 PM
Call me a troll if you want.....been in Spokane since 95.....and been a huge Zag fan since 98 or so. I confess I didn't really know much about Gonzaga or their basketball program when I moved to Spokane, until they started making headlines beating someone top 5 up in Alaska......and then after the Calvary tip in I was hooked..

As for watching him, yes, I did......team camp II was this week --- lots of opportunities this week to see him and Anton and Banchero from O'dea among others (Banchero hurt his ankle this afternoon) this week --- heck even saw Brandon Clarke referring a couple games..........there is no admittance fee....schedule posted on the wall in the new facility........you could have walked in and watched any game you wanted from Kittitas to the Billings, MT freshman squad if that floats your boat......

I have also seen him in person with WA Supreme in Bellevue......I was actually more impressed with him on the AAU circuit because I thought that he looked like he belonged on the floor against a much higher level of competition. I've seen a lot of these guys up close --- they are freak athletes for the most part - just different kinds of dudes.........against whomever he played (and they weren't good) he just didn't look "different" while watching that whole game.......

Bottom line, hope I'm wrong and I'm rooting for the kid to prove the doubters wrong (heck, I'm one of those who didn't think Curry was going to be anything more than a stand in the corner 3 pt specialist in the NBA!!) .....I didn't get to see Ravet play after that and maybe he was crazy good in those other games and would have blown me away. My post was just one guys view from one game........take it with a grain of salt........

***I was thinking as well that perhaps the Zags are wary of missing out on another kid from small-town Eastern WA that they didn't think was good enough for Gonzaga (Joe Harris) and they are determined not to make that mistake again.......wouldn't that be something if he develops like Mr. Harris did!!!

Go Zags!

So you admit that he played well against top AAU kids but average against average competition? Couldn't that simply be a case of playing down to the level of your competition? I know of a certain national powerhouse that went to overtime at home vs North Dakota last season.

Reborn
06-29-2018, 08:49 PM

Go Zags!

some of us wouldn't be surprised at all.

Go Zags!!!

bartruff1
06-30-2018, 05:30 AM
Look at their schedule and results....they won most of their games by 40 or more....he might consider transferring to a Findlay Prep or similar...... like Williams Goss and others have...

raise the zag
06-30-2018, 05:50 AM
Look at their schedule and results....they won most of their games by 40 or more....he might consider transferring to a Findlay Prep or similar...... like Williams Goss and others have...

I wish he would as he already has 2 state Championships under his belt, Player of the Year, MVP of Tournament X2, Conference POY X2, averaged over 30 ppg, etc etc.

Nothing left to prove.

Really should challenge himself during his final season. Fine tune his game even if he sacrifices his stats some.

Brock isn't required to play any defense and it's the one area he desperately needs to work on, and gain more experience. The only thing holding him back and playing vs better/bigger/atheltic players will help him develop better habits, instincts, skills.

Reborn
06-30-2018, 06:15 AM
If he goes to Findlay Prep, fine. If he doesn't, fine. Either way he'll play for Gonzaga. I hope he stays home so he can enjoy his family and friends who live in Kittitas. The day he leaves for Gonzaga his life is going to change dramatically; so I hope he stays in Kittitas one more year. When it comes to playing basketball he has the skills and mental approach to the game to play for Gonzaga. I totally agree that he has enough trophies and doesn't need more. He won't be playing for that. I believe he plays now for his family and friends. That's how kids from small towns like Kittitas are.

Go Zags!!!

cggonzaga
06-30-2018, 06:53 AM

Yes because he won’t play in 40 point blowouts and will be expected to play tremendous defense there...He’s just fine where he’s at.

sittingon50
06-30-2018, 10:32 AM
Or maybe he would just like to play (& graduate) with his buddies & play his Sr. year for his dad.

bartruff1
06-30-2018, 10:39 AM
Or maybe he would just like to play (& graduate) with his buddies & play his Sr. year for his dad.

Good grief....I never said he should do anything....I said, he "might consider"....and in fact I suspect he has.....I would be surprised if he has not spoken to Nigel about it...

sittingon50
06-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Good grief....I never said he should do anything....I said, he "might consider"....and in fact I suspect he has.....I would be surprised if he has not spoken to Nigel about it...

Was not directed at you, Bart.

bartruff1
06-30-2018, 10:53 AM
Was not directed at you, Bart.

Sure...just because I stayed at home till I was 40 and played hearts with my grandma on Saturday nights....!!

stevet75
06-30-2018, 01:04 PM
Sure...just because I stayed at home till I was 40 and played hearts with my grandma on Saturday nights....!!

I’ll bet the competition was intense.

Hoopaholic
06-30-2018, 01:09 PM

Hey me too. Did your grandma play Elvis all day long too?

thespywhozaggedme
06-30-2018, 01:17 PM
Hey me too. Did your grandma play Elvis all day long too?

My grandma impersonated Elvis all day long.

bartruff1
06-30-2018, 02:45 PM
I’ll bet the competition was intense.

She was nearly blind ….so I always won....

sittingon50
06-30-2018, 03:56 PM
She was nearly blind ….so I always won....

Well my Grandma wasn't blind, but I ALWAYS volunteered to keep score.

:rolleyes:

Zagdawg
07-02-2018, 09:24 AM
Gonzaga Guru

@GonzagaGuru
2h2 hours ago
More
Brock Ravet now has a @ESPN profile. 2019 Gonzaga commit @Brock3ravet is rated as a 4-star, grade of 80 & 4th highest prospect in Washington state. ESPN recently elevated fellow Zag Anton Watson @twonster4080 as a 4-star, #49 overall & grade of 86 in 2019 http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/235080/brock-ravet …

cjm720
07-02-2018, 12:50 PM
Brock is listed as 6’1”? Thought he was taller...

cggonzaga
07-02-2018, 01:32 PM
Brock is listed as 6’1”? Thought he was taller...

6’1” may be generous.

jazzdelmar
07-02-2018, 05:09 PM
6’1” may be generous.

Hence the canny step back “jump” shot.

Zagdawg
07-05-2018, 06:06 AM
National Prep Hoops

@HoopReview
9h9 hours ago
More
The Zags have a Great prospect in @Brock3ravet on the way! He is one of the most efficient scorers in the country

"National Prep Hoops
@HoopReview
We are the home of National Prep Review. We cover the whole country from coast to coast . Coverage on the top Prep programs and Prep Stars and AAU events."

Reborn
07-05-2018, 07:22 AM
I agree.

White lightning
07-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Another great stat line. I can only imagine how much he will improve as a Zag!!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180712/d96d3f63eab649b64b518d5e809e927b.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Spoko13
07-11-2018, 11:14 PM
Another great stat line. I can only imagine how much he will improve as a Zag!!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180712/d96d3f63eab649b64b518d5e809e927b.jpg

Very Impressive

tyra
07-12-2018, 03:02 AM
I’d be super impressed by anyone who could drop 7 of 10 beyond the arc if they were unguarded. This is eye-popping!

raise the zag
07-12-2018, 03:22 AM
I’d be super impressed by anyone who could drop 7 of 10 beyond the arc if they were unguarded. This is eye-popping!

In 8 AAU games for WA Supreme, Brock is shooting 35% from 3pt. Solid but not earth shattering. This game should improve those #'s.

He has been good but also streaky. His overall FG% has been 39%, which has been average for a lead guard. His shooting was better in the regional tournaments and his HS season

That said, playing confident, showing off multiple ways of scoring/shooting vs more athletic players, and leads the team in minutes.

He has a knack for making incredibly tough, guarded shots, and finds ways to get the ball in the hoop.

Opposing teams pick on his defense but Brock puts in the effort.

He will improve.

caldwellzag
07-12-2018, 06:05 AM
Nice start to July for Brock!

willandi
07-12-2018, 07:21 AM
A point a minute is pretty good for any player, especially when none were dunks and short range put backs.

MontanaCoyote
07-12-2018, 08:03 AM
Who’s Zack Paulson?

thespywhozaggedme
07-12-2018, 08:15 AM
Who’s Zack Paulson?

a 6'4 sg from Tacoma that is apparently a good 3 point shooter as he scored 9 points in that game, all on 3's.

zaguarxj
07-12-2018, 09:07 AM

Brock the top rebounder with 6!!! LOL.

Mr Vulture
07-12-2018, 10:05 AM
Either that team really takes care of the ball with a 22 to 0 assist to turnover ratio or they don't count turnovers in AAU ball?? ;)

sittingon50
07-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Either that team really takes care of the ball with a 22 to 0 assist to turnover ratio or they don't count turnovers in AAU ball?? ;)

Kinda' like some of the baseball games I've coached. Depends on whose Mom is keeping the book!!

:roll:

spike_jr
07-12-2018, 09:00 PM

Or nobody bothers to play defense.

thebigsmoove
07-13-2018, 05:16 AM
Or nobody bothers to play defense.

This.

Zagdawg
07-13-2018, 06:01 PM
Gonzaga Guru

@GonzagaGuru
1h1 hour ago
More
Brock Ravet had 22 points, 6 assists, 2 steals, & 2 rebounds on 4/10 3PT & 5/8 2PT in a big win tonight. This morning, the Gonzaga commit dropped 16 pts & 2 ast with 4 3's. Last night he had an impressive 10 pts, 9 ast, 5 reb, & 2 stl on 2/4 3PT & 2/4 2 PT

https://twitter.com/GonzagaGuru/status/1017936923501813760

katman50
07-13-2018, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the update on Brock. By the time he finishes his career at Gonzaga, he is going to be an Eastern Washington legend. I know a lot of folks on this board disparage him, in not a nasty way, but I am a believer. Of course, doesn't hurt to have Reborn and his input on the board. And I really appreciate his assessment. Brock is going to be a star! Book it!

Zagdawg
07-14-2018, 08:36 AM
Al Ward

@AWProductions_
3m3 minutes ago
More
Washington Supreme 17U Finished 4-1 and Clinched a spot for Las Vegas #UAAFinals @UAassociation @WASupreme #AWPro

https://twitter.com/AWProductions_/status/1018171411951648769

Zagdawg
07-26-2018, 08:11 PM
Joel Francisco

@JoelFranHoops
Follow Follow @JoelFranHoops
More
#UAAFinals highlights: 2020 Lamont “Ice” Butler hits clutch fts in win over New Heights...Nico Mannion continues to crush foes..Gonzaga got a good one in 6-1 pg Brock Ravet

Joel Francisco
@JoelFranHoops
Basketball Scout 30+ years/Prephoops.com So-Cal scouting coordinator/ESPN 2006-2016

Reborn
07-27-2018, 06:46 AM
Brock the top rebounder with 6!!! LOL.

In 27 minutes. Pretty cool.

Zagdawg
08-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Courtside Films

@CourtsideFilms
2h2 hours ago
More
NEW: 2019 Gonzaga Commit Brock Ravet Summer Highlights With Washington Supreme!

https://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_article/show/939615

willandi
08-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted

Courtside Films

@CourtsideFilms
2h2 hours ago
More
NEW: 2019 Gonzaga Commit Brock Ravet Summer Highlights With Washington Supreme!

https://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_article/show/939615

He kind of reminds me of Dickau although I never saw Dan before he came to Gonzaga. He has a quick release, shifty feet, drives to the hoop and dishes pretty good too. There weren't any clips of defense, so couldn't judge that, and don't know how well Dickau played D in HS anyway.

Thanks for sharing. He will only get better.

LTownZag
08-05-2018, 07:51 PM
Thanks for sharing. He will only get better.

I think you are correct that he will get better, but I think the total amount of improvement that is possible will be far lower than for some other players.

I'm not basing that off Brock's focus, or intention, or work ethic, which I'm assuming to be excellent.

But since he is in the son of a long time coach and has been taught the game very early on and has been playing it in very organized leagues since he could barely dribble, he isn't nearly as "raw" as a super talented athlete who comes to the sport later in life. (and maybe who has experienced far less coaching and far fewer hours of drills/practice/film throughout high school years.)

A Rui, or Ayaayi, or Olynyk comes to the team as an 18yr old nowhere close to their own personal ceiling. Ravet is probably much nearer to his.

kitzbuel
08-05-2018, 08:19 PM
I think you are correct that he will get better, but I think the total amount of improvement that is possible will be far lower than for some other players.

I'm not basing that off Brock's focus, or intention, or work ethic, which I'm assuming to be excellent.

But since he is in the son of a long time coach and has been taught the game very early on and has been playing it in very organized leagues since he could barely dribble, he isn't nearly as "raw" as a super talented athlete who comes to the sport later in life. (and maybe who has experienced far less coaching and far fewer hours of drills/practice/film throughout high school years.)

A Rui, or Ayaayi, or Olynyk comes to the team as an 18yr old nowhere close to their own personal ceiling. Ravet is probably much nearer to his.

I believe Kelly Olynyk was also the son of a coach. He came up playing PG mostly until late in high school.

hooter73
08-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Quick release and killer instinct is good to have on the team, especially to motivate and push others.

LTownZag
08-06-2018, 06:02 AM
I believe Kelly Olynyk was also the son of a coach. He came up playing PG mostly until late in high school.

If that's the case, i stand corrected. Though there still would have been the obvious room for improvement based on KO having a new position, role, and basically a new body upon his final high school year or arrival at GU.

willandi
08-06-2018, 08:13 AM
Despite being a coaches son, Brock will have to learn to play in a system where he is not the only featured player and will have to learn to play hard nosed defense, if some of the other posters are correct.

I don't think any High School player has reached anything near their ceiling. There are just too many things that can be improved on, adjusted and embellished. If he has reached his ceiling, he will have trouble playing at Gonzaga.

ZagaholicPodcast
08-06-2018, 08:15 AM
Despite being a coaches son, Brock will have to learn to play in a system where he is not the only featured player and will have to learn to play hard nosed defense, if some of the other posters are correct.

I don't think any High School player has reached anything near their ceiling. There are just too many things that can be improved on, adjusted and embellished. If he has reached his ceiling, he will have trouble playing at Gonzaga.

You mean where he won't be a featured player...

willandi
08-06-2018, 08:17 AM
You mean where he won't be a featured player...

No. I meant not the only featured player.

If he is capable, as a point guard, of distributing the ball and still scoring 20+ a game, he will be A featured player.

ZagaholicPodcast
08-06-2018, 08:29 AM
No. I meant not the only featured player.

If he is capable, as a point guard, of distributing the ball and still scoring 20+ a game, he will be A featured player.

Do you feel this team is still on the same trajectory it was, in March 2017? Next year's team may have Zach Norvell and Brandon Clarke, to go along with Filip Petrusev and the junior year version of Corey Kispert. As well, they are making a play at Boogie Ellis, and they have Anton Watson coming in the same year. I guess I'm not seeing where Brock would be a featured player? If they thought Brock was a "featured" player, or had strong potential for it, do you think they are offering Boogie Ellis? It's possible, I suppose. But I think the confidence in Brock on these boards is probably the highest, as compared to other portions of Zagdom.

Zagdawg
08-06-2018, 09:07 AM
My magic 8 ball is not allowing me to see the future as clearly as some here-- so I will wait to see how Brock does this year and when he gets into college before I relegate him to the bench.

thespywhozaggedme
08-06-2018, 09:08 AM
Do you feel this team is still on the same trajectory it was, in March 2017? Next year's team may have Zach Norvell and Brandon Clarke, to go along with Filip Petrusev and the junior year version of Corey Kispert. As well, they are making a play at Boogie Ellis, and they have Anton Watson coming in the same year. I guess I'm not seeing where Brock would be a featured player? If they thought Brock was a "featured" player, or had strong potential for it, do you think they are offering Boogie Ellis? It's possible, I suppose. But I think the confidence in Brock on these boards is probably the highest, as compared to other portions of Zagdom.

Why is next year, his freshman year your litmus test? It may take him a few years to be a featured player. Who knows?

ZagaholicPodcast
08-06-2018, 10:33 AM
Why is next year, his freshman year your litmus test? It may take him a few years to be a featured player. Who knows?

It doesn't get easier in 2020 with Dominic Harris and those that join him. As well, unless this program takes a major step backward, it won't be easier in 2021 or 2022.

JPtheBeasta
08-06-2018, 12:57 PM
If Brock isn’t ready to contribute, the PG spot is a huge question mark next year. If he can take care of the ball and take open threes, I think he will be fine. Perkins has been really good but has been best when he decided to just focus on making the easy plays. If Brock can play a similar role, 2019 won’t be so scary. It would be nice to have someone this year to be an understudy, though. I don’t see Ayayi as that guy, unfortunately (I could be wrong, obviously). Maybe the staff have a lot of confidence in Greg Foster.

ZagsObserver
08-06-2018, 01:20 PM
If Brock isn’t ready to contribute, the PG spot is a huge question mark next year. If he can take care of the ball and take open threes, I think he will be fine. Perkins has been really good but has been best when he decided to just focus on making the easy plays. If Brock can play a similar role, 2019 won’t be so scary. It would be nice to have someone this year to be an understudy, though. I don’t see Ayayi as that guy, unfortunately (I could be wrong, obviously). Maybe the staff have a lot of confidence in Greg Foster.

PG remains a question mark. Foster will not likely be the answer. Ravet will not likely be the answer as a freshman. Like you, I don’t see Ayayi starting at point. I think the starter will be someone who has not yet been mentioned, and could well be a grad transfer before Harris is given the reigns as a freshman in 2020.

Reborn
08-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Watch out for Brock Ravet. He is so skilled, very confident. Can shoot, as well as handle the ball and pass. I'm sure he has been playing with very talented guards this summer, and he and his team did very well. I'm not saying he'll be a major star, nor am I bashing him or doubting him. I respect him, and respect his talent. I am really glad he's going to be a Zag.

Go Zags!!!

MDABE80
08-06-2018, 01:32 PM
Whens the last time Brock had a bad game?? I don't remember even a mediocre game. I think he may be a huge surprise. He's criticized because he's not a 6 3-6 4 long armed guard. He has some amazing skills even though his ball handling could use some help. Speed isn't Ayayi speed. Who has that though??
I'm thinking wit Joel being as skilled as he is, he can play PG/SG.
Both of these ids are being scrutinized. I'm no so sure why. Every once I s a while a kid wil have a sloppy game. Those stinkers shouldn't color a whole career or generate a bias when they take the floor consistently. Let em breath fellas. Encourage them.

WallaWallaZag
08-06-2018, 01:42 PM
i think the jesse wade experience combined with similar physical/athletic characteristics are making people doubt ravet without giving him a fair shot at proving himself.

willandi
08-06-2018, 04:22 PM

The coaches offered him so they see something. He has had some monster games against better competition than his high school.

Why do you think someone that could average 20+/game and pass and board would not be one of the featured players?

Bogozags
08-07-2018, 02:52 AM

For the life of me, why have you and others totally disregard Larsen? I can understand why everyone is high on Filip but to ignore Larsen to me is just hard for me to comprehend!

Malastein
08-07-2018, 03:46 AM
I’m not writing Larsen out yet, but from what I’ve seen he is closer to Ryan Edwards than he is Karnowski. But hopefully he surprises me this next season!

ZagaholicPodcast
08-07-2018, 04:32 AM
For the life of me, why have you and others totally disregard Larsen? I can understand why everyone is high on Filip but to ignore Larsen to me is just hard for me to comprehend!

Larsen as a featured player? No one but the coaching staff and Larsen know why he faded during the season. He showed some promise, but if it's a mental thing with his knee....or worse, if it's his knee again, well that's a tough one. The ceiling for Larsen is quite possibly as a role player. Not every player can be a featured player, anyway. Not enough touches.

ZagaholicPodcast
08-07-2018, 04:36 AM

It would be interesting to hear why you believe he is going to play into being a Top 3 contributor on this team...

bigblahla
08-07-2018, 05:05 AM
Larsen as a featured player? No one but the coaching staff and Larsen know why he faded during the season. He showed some promise, but if it's a mental thing with his knee....or worse, if it's his knee again, well that's a tough one. The ceiling for Larsen is quite possibly as a role player. Not every player can be a featured player, anyway. Not enough touches.

Watched the UW and SMC games, again, yesterday, Larsen came up limping in one of them.... don't remember which one, but he was fine running up and down the court, he got fouled and was limping to the foul line, think it was the UW game.

Go!! Zags!!!

Reborn
08-07-2018, 07:00 AM
i think the jesse wade experience combined with similar physical/athletic characteristics are making people doubt ravet without giving him a fair shot at proving himself.

I think the fact that he plays in a B League conference is another reason. But thankfully, he has played against players who have very good talent and size during the summers.

CDC84
08-08-2018, 06:23 PM
2019/20 could finally be the year that Gonzaga doesn't make the NCAA tournament. Especially if they make the final four. They will likely lose multiple players to the draft. Of course this is where being in the WCC can help. You can make up for a multitude of sins by winning the league tourney.

Reborn
08-08-2018, 07:31 PM
I wouldn't bet on that prediction,CDC. Mark Few and his staff have a really fantastic way of putting a team together. Next year, next June ect. is a long way away. They'll be reeling them in just like they do every year. We will have a great foundation: Cook. Larsen, Petrusiv, Watson, Kispert, Norvell, (I doubt he will go pro next year. The year after is more likely, imo. Ayayi will be a huge contributer in 2019-'20, and Petrusiv even more so. That's 7 guys coming back from this upcoming season, and if we do win the national championship these guys will be very confident in 2019-'20.

thespywhozaggedme
08-08-2018, 08:43 PM
2019/20 could finally be the year that Gonzaga doesn't make the NCAA tournament. Especially if they make the final four. They will likely lose multiple players to the draft. Of course this is where being in the WCC can help. You can make up for a multitude of sins by winning the league tourney.

OK, let's say that we have a magical year, i.e. another final four run and everyone that has a remote possibility of leaving does, i.e. Rui, Tillie, Zach, and Brandon. That still leaves us with Joel, Corey, Larsen, Petrusev, Foster, Watson and Ravet. Not to mention grad transfers, stud recruits and mystery euros. The team can win the WCC.

cggonzaga
08-08-2018, 11:37 PM

Agreed. Said it a little while back, Anton may be our best player in 2019.

ZagsObserver
08-09-2018, 02:55 AM
OK, let's say that we have a magical year, i.e. another final four run and everyone that has a remote possibility of leaving does, i.e. Rui, Tillie, Zach, and Brandon. That still leaves us with Joel, Corey, Larsen, Petrusev, Foster, Watson and Ravet. Not to mention grad transfers, stud recruits and mystery euros. The team can win the WCC.

Watson could probably step in and kispert should be a nice piece. Petrusev and Ayayi are question marks. That group would stand a very decent chance of missing the tournament.

thespywhozaggedme
08-09-2018, 05:33 AM
Watson could probably step in and kispert should be a nice piece. Petrusev and Ayayi are question marks. That group would stand a very decent chance of missing the tournament.

Interesting that you think that Watson could "step right in" but Petrusev is a "question mark" despite the later playing elite level international competition and dominating. I think both will do really well next season, Petrusev as a soph and Watson as a true freshman.

ZagaholicPodcast
08-09-2018, 05:45 AM

How exactly is Petrusev a question mark?

ZagaholicPodcast
08-09-2018, 05:46 AM

I just don't see this. It may be a S16-type year, but I just don't see this happening.

Bogozags
08-09-2018, 05:48 AM
It would be interesting to hear why you believe he is going to play into being a Top 3 contributor on this team...

No, i’m not claiming he will be a featured player nor a Top Three player BUT it appears as though so many are excluding Larsen as just being a non-entity for the up-coming season. As you stated, only Larsen, the players, the Staff and a few others know why he didn’t get many minutes as last season progressed. He has two years experience playing against D1 players while, Filip has none. If he is HEALTHY then I see him as the first big off the bench and be paired with Filip coming in to replace Clarke and Tillie...that is if Rui is playing the SF position. I believe Larsen can have a really big impact on our success this season.

ZagsObserver
08-09-2018, 06:55 AM
How exactly is Petrusev a question mark?

How isn’t he a question mark?

TexasZagFan
08-09-2018, 07:03 AM
How isn’t he a question mark?

Making the all tournament team at FIBA eliminates much of the question mark IMO.

ZagsObserver
08-09-2018, 07:05 AM
Interesting that you think that Watson could "step right in" but Petrusev is a "question mark" despite the later playing elite level international competition and dominating. I think both will do really well next season, Petrusev as a soph and Watson as a true freshman.

The competition as a whole Was not elite. And, it’s a different style of play than what he’ll see at a u.s. college.he could do quite well, as we all hope or believe, but there are enough variables to make him a question mark.

JPtheBeasta
08-09-2018, 07:19 AM
The competition as a whole Was not elite. And, it’s a different style of play than what he’ll see at a u.s. college.he could do quite well, as we all hope or believe, but there are enough variables to make him a question mark.

To your point, our difficulty scoring against Florida St last year is exhibit A. How often did we see Rui get his shot blocked or altered last year prior to that game? The athleticism in college is off the charts compared to what I saw in that tournament. Europe seems to produce very skilled players but the athleticism is harder to find, in my opinion.

At least GU won’t be facing that type of athlete every game...

JAGzag
08-09-2018, 07:20 AM
Making the all tournament team at FIBA eliminates much of the question mark IMO.

Good point. Certainly a "question mark" in the sense that he hasn't played a minute of D-1 basketball. But if you look at the history of Zags doing well in this Tourney: Pangos, Karno, Sabonis ... I like our chances with this kid!

bigblahla
08-09-2018, 07:24 AM
Petrusev, is an exclamation point not a question mark.... not even close.... sometimes I wonder what others see when they watch games, cause some of the opinions here are so off base about players, there are still some here who don't think Snacks can run the point.... basketball is not a perfect game, players are not perfect.... as for young Mr. Ravet.... he will make his mark at GU whether it is an exclamation point or skid mark, it's up to him and either way I'll cheer him on...he's a Zag. He'll play himself off the bench or onto the bench.... cause that's how it works.

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

EEzag
08-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Petrusev, is an exclamation point not a question mark.... not even close.... sometimes I wonder what others see when they watch games, cause some of the opinions here are so off base about players, there are still some here who don't think Snacks can run the point.... basketball is not a perfect game, players are not perfect.... as for young Mr. Ravet.... he will make his mark at GU whether it is an exclamation point or skid mark, it's up to him and either way I'll cheer him on...he's a Zag. He'll play himself off the bench or onto the bench.... cause that's how it works.

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

Snacks can run the point, I just don't want him to. Maybe a point-forward, but I want him moving without the ball more.
Petrusev is going to be great. Would like to see that outside shot some more.....maybe put on a few pounds...
Ravet is not a miss, at least offensively. He will need to work on D. I've seen him play in person, he's athletic enough to at least be serviceable on D...just needs to show it on the D1 level. That step-back will work, and it works from anywhere....mid-range and from long distance. He's going to destroy anybody that cheats on a screen. I think of Ravio but who can elevate with his shot. He's got a little mean streak too. He could be the perfect compliment to Dom2020.

You don't become one of the all time winning NCAA coaches by not playing your best 5. In Few we trust.

ZagaholicPodcast
08-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Snacks can run the point, I just don't want him to. Maybe a point-forward, but I want him moving without the ball more.
Petrusev is going to be great. Would like to see that outside shot some more.....maybe put on a few pounds...
Ravet is not a miss, at least offensively. He will need to work on D. I've seen him play in person, he's athletic enough to at least be serviceable on D...just needs to show it on the D1 level. That step-back will work, and it works from anywhere....mid-range and from long distance. He's going to destroy anybody that cheats on a screen. I think of Ravio but who can elevate with his shot. He's got a little mean streak too. He could be the perfect compliment to Dom2020.

You don't become one of the all time winning NCAA coaches by not playing your best 5. In Few we trust.

I don't see him as an NBA prospect, at this point...but I don't know how anyone could watch his ball handling and footwork, while facing up in the post, and not *at least* be encouraged. If he maintains that aggressiveness he'll get blocked some, but he's also going to create a lot of fouls. And he can shoot from the stripe. He'll have a place right away.

Vanzagger
08-09-2018, 09:28 AM

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

Beautifully put

thespywhozaggedme
08-09-2018, 10:13 AM

That's actually completely incorrect. The competition actually was elite it, was the best of the best of European players. Many of whom will go on to play high major division one or Euroleague

Bogozags
08-10-2018, 05:48 AM
Filip is going to be an outstanding player at GU and I believe he will follow the same route as Sabonis, and leave after his second season of playing at GU...He is fundamentally strong and just needs to develop physically...we will all be impressed with his play the next two years and hope he stays for his third season...

Spy I cannot agree that the competition was against elite competition as there were many players on those teams that could play D1 but those players were high school age players and NOT D1 players...there is a difference and his success will be determined on how quickly he adjusts to the speed, strength and skill level of his opponents. Maui will give us a good indication of where he is and can be in the coming months...l see him and Jacob getting similar moments that Tillie and Zack had...it will be a Glorious season...IMO

jazzdelmar
08-10-2018, 06:03 AM

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

Bingo. As recently as 2 weeks ago, his HS coach said he will not play much at GU. An acknowledgment of GU's talent rather than a rip on the kid.

jazzdelmar
08-10-2018, 06:05 AM
Filip is going to be an outstanding player at GU and I believe he will follow the same route as Sabonis, and leave after his second season of playing at GU...He is fundamentally strong and just needs to develop physically...we will all be impressed with his play the next two years and hope he stays for his third season...

Spy I cannot agree that the competition was against elite competition as there were many players on those teams that could play D1 but those players were high school age players and NOT D1 players...there is a difference and his success will be determined on how quickly he adjusts to the speed, strength and skill level of his opponents. Maui will give us a good indication of where he is and can be in the coming months...l see him and Jacob getting similar moments that Tillie and Zack had...it will be a Glorious season...IMO

The Bonus was light years from where F is....not close. And played at a higher level overseas.

tyra
08-10-2018, 06:22 AM
Sigh. I kind of prefer the “old days” when we naively thought every recruit would become a super star as opposed to now when so many seem to demean our recruits’ potential and talent.

jazzdelmar
08-10-2018, 06:27 AM
Sigh. I kind of prefer the “old days” when we naively thought every recruit would become a super star as opposed to now when so many seem to demean our recruits’ potential and talent.

Naivete trumps critical thinking?

thespywhozaggedme
08-10-2018, 06:47 AM

Um....they were elite for their age group. Many of them will play D1A hoops or Euroleague and some will even make the NBA. Elite is relative, they're not elite if you put them against current NBA players, but it was a tournament of elite players in their age bracket.

ZagaholicPodcast
08-10-2018, 06:55 AM

Can you defend this statement? I see very little demeaning...if at all. Critique is important. If you walked outside your house, and it was sunny...and you said "Hey, it's sunny out, today, and that means the temperature may go up", you'd be making an evaluation, correct? If you saw a stove top on, and you said "Hey, that stove top is hot, and I shouldn't put my hand on it, because I will get burned"...you'd be evaluating a situation based on cause and effect that you understand, correct? Then why is it all of the sudden inappropriate to extrapolate based on perception, here? Isn't this board really high on education? Would any of those who went to GU find their professors agreeing with them endorsing naiveté, and dogmatic rhetoric that seeks to cut short critical thought/discourse?

Certainly, if it becomes ad hominem, shut it down. And you most certainly should have to defend your position, regardless the side you fall on. But those are different discussions.

SanDiegoZag
08-10-2018, 06:59 AM
The Bonus was light years from where F is....not close. And played at a higher level overseas.

Yeah, it would be great to be proven wrong...but Petrusev is nowhere near the talent Sabonis was coming in, let alone where they will end up.

bballbeachbum
08-10-2018, 07:49 AM
Critical thinking trumps opinion

lots of opinion here, no problem with that, it's a message board and I share mine too, but opinion is not critical thinking, or is it now?

GoZags
08-10-2018, 07:51 AM
.... opinion is not critical thinking ....

Thank you.

bartruff1
08-10-2018, 08:00 AM
??? Opinions can be the products of critical thinking....they are not somehow mutually exclusive....the concerns about Brock are reasonable ….it doesn't matter what we think..... and I am confident he will get ample opportunities to demonstrate his skills...

Mantua
08-10-2018, 08:26 AM

Thank you, Tyra.

ZagaholicPodcast
08-10-2018, 08:27 AM
Critical thinking trumps opinion

lots of opinion here, no problem with that, it's a message board and I share mine too, but opinion is not critical thinking, or is it now?

You're attempting to make two things mutually exclusive that aren't, inherently. Critical thinking is a process. An opinion can be a derivative of critical thought. Your view of the expressed result is not necessarily the determinate for whether or not someone has applied critical thought. Perhaps you meant something different?

Robzagnut
08-10-2018, 08:50 AM
You're attempting to make two things mutually exclusive that aren't, inherently. Critical thinking is a process. An opinion can be a derivative of critical thought. Your view of the expressed result is not necessarily the determinate for whether or not someone has applied critical thought. Perhaps you meant something different?

Sheesh, what a slow week... Here's what I got out of all this discussion:

I'm right = Critical thinking
You're wrong = Your opinion

kitzbuel
08-10-2018, 09:01 AM

You're wrong = Your opinionLol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Mr Vulture
08-10-2018, 09:40 AM

:roll::roll:

MDABE80
08-10-2018, 09:45 AM
Probably good to see the new kids play some D1 ball before we evaluate their suitability for the next
Level. Kids, especially newcombers, need time to develop. As best I can tell, both Brock and Filip have bright college futures.

Reborn
08-10-2018, 10:18 AM
??? Opinions can be the products of critical thinking....they are not somehow mutually exclusive....the concerns about Brock are reasonable ….it doesn't matter what we think..... and I am confident he will get ample opportunities to demonstrate his skills...

Who says they're reasonable?

bartruff1
08-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Who says they're reasonable?

Me...as you and others have pointed out....his size...... the fact that he plays in a B league ......questions about his defense....his step back shot...I am under the impression that he is not a highly rated recruit nor have many..... if any.... D! schools expressed a interest in him...in post #133 Jazz says his coach (?) has doubts he will play much at Gonzaga.... .those are reasons...….. if you don't think they are reasonable....that is your opinion...

jazzdelmar
08-10-2018, 10:35 AM
Me...as you and others have pointed out....his size...... the fact that he plays in a B league ......questions about his defense....his step back shot...I am under the impression that he is not a highly rated recruit nor have many..... if any.... D! schools expressed a interest in him....those are reasons...….. if you don't think they are reasonable....that is your opinion...

With ya, Bart.

Reborn
08-10-2018, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure if Jazz was talking about Ravet when he said that his coachbelieved he would not play much at Gonzaga. The post talks about two people, Petrusiv and Brock. Which one's coach said that? Brock's dad is his coach, and I know him, and I doubt he would have let his son go to Gonzaga if he did not believe his son would play at GU. Honestly, I understand why you would use Jazz for a reference because he thinks like you. He has seldom, if ever, someone like Brock Ravet could EVER play at GU. Brock agreed to play for Mark Few a long, long time ago. Was it in his Sophomore year? Why would any other D1 schools try to recruit Brock after he signed with Gonzaga? Also Pendo played in a B league, and I believed signed with Gonzaga his Sophomore year too. I would say he played for GU and played pretty damn well. Stephen Gray was playing for a team in the A league when I believed he signed with Gonzaga too. I know that he did transfer to a 4A school his last two years, but I think he had already signed. Stephen is one of my All-Time favorite Zags, and I believe Ravet is better offensively. i'm not sure about defensively yet. Two things they are equal in are a) they hate to lose, and b) they are tough. GU tough.

Go Zags!!!

maynard g krebs
08-10-2018, 11:16 AM
When did Ravet's coach say he wouldn't play much at GU? I've been reading pretty much every off season post, and I missed that. Would appreciate seeing the quote.

jazzdelmar
08-10-2018, 11:31 AM
When did Ravet's coach say he wouldn't play much at GU? I've been reading pretty much every off season post, and I missed that. Would appreciate seeing the quote.

Kevin Boyle, Montverde coach, about Filip.

bartruff1
08-10-2018, 11:39 AM
That is why I had that "?" in my post...it wasn't clear to me if Jazz was talking about Brock...in any case, I think it is reasonable to have concerns about Brock's impact at Gonzaga.....time will tell...

maynard g krebs
08-10-2018, 12:05 PM
Kevin Boyle, Montverde coach, about Filip.

Thanks. I would assume he meant as a freshman.

West Side Lady
08-10-2018, 01:50 PM
nor have many..... if any.... D! schools expressed a interest in him

Why would they? He already committed.
I doubt Kittitas is the first place D1 coaches are looking.

jazzdelmar
08-10-2018, 01:56 PM

And an acknowledgment of the Zags brilliant returning trio of bigs.

ZagaholicPodcast
08-10-2018, 02:45 PM

You can be factually wrong and still have engaged in critical thought.

As far as Brock goes. Only time will tell. If someone sees something concerning, and they can articulate why, and defend it....then that's productive. Criticisms without a reasonable defense are not necessary. Nor is praise with the same lack of foundation. Brock can shoot, and he fixed his shot. He deserves recognition for that. He has yet to show he can play defense, and he is a shorter player with less length than Pendo. Shorter players are inherently less versatile. A 6-5/6-6 player like Pendo could defend just about 3 positions, and could be utilized in offensive sets with more breadth of responsibility.

If Brock comes out and is some poor man's-poor man's Steph Curry, then this team will be really hard to beat, next season. If all he ends up being able to do is shoot, and can't play D...he'll be on the bench quite a bit working on his sideline celebrations.

sittingon50
08-10-2018, 02:58 PM
You can be factually wrong and still have engaged in critical thought.

So at this point in time does "Felix sucks" meet either of those criteria?

Mr Vulture
08-10-2018, 03:02 PM
Me...as you and others have pointed out....his size...... the fact that he plays in a B league ......questions about his defense....his step back shot...I am under the impression that he is not a highly rated recruit nor have many..... if any.... D! schools expressed a interest in him...in post #133 Jazz says his coach (?) has doubts he will play much at Gonzaga.... .those are reasons...….. if you don't think they are reasonable....that is your opinion...

Not sure what coach you are talking about in regards to Ravet as his Dad coaches him and I doubt he'd say that. He is #77 overall in 247Sports and #24 Combo Guard on ESPN (80 rating). As for having no D1 schools interest is one of the most absurd things I've ever read on here. His lack of offers is probably due to the fact that he has been committed since June of last year before his HS junior season. Teams knowing he is a solid commit is going to make them much less likely to offer.

doctorzag
08-10-2018, 03:33 PM
That is why I had that "?" in my post...it wasn't clear to me if Jazz was talking about Brock...in any case, I think it is reasonable to have concerns about Brock's impact at Gonzaga.....time will tell...

Well if its not clear don't post it. And common sense would tell you his own father would not have said it. As for the B-league competition,he was second highest scorer and shot 41.5% from 3 and best Asst to turnover ratio on Washington Supreme aau team this summer. Easily their best player.

bartruff1
08-10-2018, 03:41 PM
I apologize, I made a assumption and it was wrong....

MileHigh
08-10-2018, 04:56 PM
Well if its not clear don't post it. And common sense would tell you his own father would not have said it. As for the B-league competition,he was second highest scorer and shot 41.5% from 3 and best Asst to turnover ratio on Washington Supreme aau team this summer. Easily their best player.

I think most would say that Emmitt Mathews was the best player on that Washington Supreme team. He is a 2018 kid that played in the spring as an unsigned senior. Was leading scorer for Supreme and signed with West Virginia

doctorzag
08-10-2018, 06:48 PM
I think most would say that Emmitt Mathews was the best player on that Washington Supreme team. He is a 2018 kid that played in the spring as an unsigned senior. Was leading scorer for Supreme and signed with West Virginia

He did edge out Ravet in scoring 16.3 to 14.7 but Mattews was a terrible shooter. .343 overall and .293 from 3. Ravet .414 overall and .413 from 3.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-11-2018, 03:03 AM
He did edge out Ravet in scoring 16.3 to 14.7 but Mattews was a terrible shooter. .343 overall and .293 from 3. Ravet .414 overall and .413 from 3.

Sounds like Matthews will fit right in at West Virginia :D

willandi
08-11-2018, 05:23 AM

Matthews also edged Brock in minutes played, but trailed him in assists/game by a full assist and trailed him in steals by .7/game, plus had 2.5 TO /game to Brock's 1.

Matthews may have led the team in scoring, but I wouldn't say that he was the best player on that team. He was the leading scorer and rebounder.

caldwellzag
08-11-2018, 06:01 AM
So at this point in time does "Felix sucks" meet either of those criteria?

Felix does suck, he is sinking the M's right now. And he is in my top all time favorite M (well tied with Griffey).

caldwellzag
08-11-2018, 06:03 AM

I am pretty sure the comment was made in regards to as a freshman. Honestly, if you look at our top 7/8/9 there are not many freshman in the country that would crack our top 7, most not our top 8 or 9. If you look at our top 6 I am not sure out much playing time any of Montverde's players not named Barrett would have received. We are truly loaded this year and that is what their coach was getting at with that comment.

caldwellzag
08-11-2018, 06:08 AM
And I have faith that Ravet will turn out to be a good Zag in the future. He plays against elite competition in the summer and holds his own. I find it funny at times that we dismiss what Brock does during the summer and give Anton all the credit in the world for playing local AAU ball and not playing against the elite talent. Anton is going to be a star, but just making a point that we criticize Brock for playing in B level for his dad during the school year, but don't criticize Anton for playing local AAU ball. Brock plays better talent all spring/summer than Anton plays during school ball and from all reports he is doing pretty dang well. His defense has never been on display during the spring/summer as most the shoe circuit games do not future defense. I think those who have been overly critical of him will be in for a treat when he shows up.

Reborn
08-11-2018, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the Ravet's stats over the summer. I'd say they are really good. It appears he plays some D, as he about 1 steal per game. smiling. I think the only negative things that I've read about Brock are the ones written and posted here. The national press seems to think Brock is a really good player.

hooter73
08-11-2018, 09:24 AM
Since ive kinda been less than optimistic, figure I'll try to make the turn here... I loved Wade in highschool, and I think Ravet is a really intriguing player. I knew it was a long shot with Jesse and hope that Brock will have a better chance as the cards kind of just didn't fall for Jesse with the time off and the injury adding to the athletic shortcomings. So physicality aside, what I really do like and think will get Brock as far as anything is the little bit of attitude he seems to have. Jesse had an opportunistic killer instinct, Brock seems a little more in your face about it. D 1 programs need players that push the issue, put the pedal down, stare you in the eye and sink a shot they know they can make. Brock seems to have that.

bartruff1
08-11-2018, 10:16 AM
In addition to his basketball skills (#189 Nation, 3 star), the young man is bright, thoughtful and articulate....certainly mature for his age. In a interview at 247 he talks about his favorite team and his decision to commit to Gonzaga.

When asked what his expectations are....he replied....something like …." we will see "...… pretty good advice..

bballbeachbum
08-11-2018, 12:18 PM

meant exactly what I said, and still do.

OntZags
08-11-2018, 01:31 PM
I am pretty sure the comment was made in regards to as a freshman. Honestly, if you look at our top 7/8/9 there are not many freshman in the country that would crack our top 7, most not our top 8 or 9. If you look at our top 6 I am not sure out much playing time any of Montverde's players not named Barrett would have received. We are truly loaded this year and that is what their coach was getting at with that comment.

Having seen Andrew Nembhard in person playing for Canada's senior men national team, he definitely would've seen time this season. That dude is a stone cold killer. So composed and skilled. Still bitter he never made the trip out to Spokane but Florida got themselves a good one.

But agreed on your point. Very few freshmen wouldve cracked this lineup.

caldwellzag
08-11-2018, 01:47 PM
Having seen Andrew Nembhard in person playing for Canada's senior men national team, he definitely would've seen time this season. That dude is a stone cold killer. So composed and skilled. Still bitter he never made the trip out to Spokane but Florida got themselves a good one.

But agreed on your point. Very few freshmen wouldve cracked this lineup.

Yeah had we landed him there would have been no reason to recruit Geno, but I like having Geno for at least one year. Nembhard is going to be good and Florida got a good one I would agree!

jazzdelmar
08-11-2018, 03:12 PM
Yeah had we landed him there would have been no reason to recruit Geno, but I like having Geno for at least one year. Nembhard is going to be good and Florida got a good one I would agree!

Nembhard prob 1 and done as well.

JAGzag
08-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Nembhard prob 1 and done as well.

And if we’re talking just one year, I’m more than content with an experienced player like Geno.