PDA

View Full Version : The 16 Most Obnoxious Fans in College Basketball

ZagNative
06-08-2018, 10:24 AM
saw this twitter (https://twitter.com/SportsPac12/status/1004605121689370625)and I think the Zags and BYU should be reversed in positions. Actually, I don't think Zag fans are obnoxious - more like "enthusiastic"!

Thoughts on the other teams listed?

1. Maryland
2. Butler
3. Duke
4. Oregon
5. UNC
6. West Virginia
7. UTEP
8. Gonzaga
9. Indiana
10. Kentucky
11. Florida
12. Memphis
13. Virginia
14. Arizona
15. Kansas
16. BYU

bartruff1
06-08-2018, 10:35 AM
I am confident the BYU fans would say the same thing...

Zag_Dad
06-08-2018, 10:41 AM
What? A Pac12 tweet that proclaims Gonzaga fans are obnoxious? I'm shocked!

titopoet
06-08-2018, 10:44 AM
saw this twitter (https://twitter.com/SportsPac12/status/1004605121689370625)and I think the Zags and BYU should be reversed in positions. Actually, I don't think Zag fans are obnoxious - more like "enthusiastic"!

Me thinks SportsPac12 has an ax to grind.

Kentucky barely in the top 10. No UCLA. Arizona State should always be in the mix for what they did to Steve Kerr. Philly people will be mad no Philly Teams made the top 16 (Philly loves being obnoxious and Villanova fans would be ticked they are not there.) No "THE" Ohio State. UTEP??? over Georgetown, St Johns, Cincinnati, and Xavier. Kansas and SDSU are nowhere to be found. SDSU should be on the list after its whole student section dressed as Mormon missionaries. And BYU so low?

And Maryland on the top??? Over the dreaded Dookies???

Zagdawg
06-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Pac12 supporter -- not so surprised that this poll only has 1 pac12 team in the top 10 also.

GUZag08
06-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Dad in the military. Moved around the country as a kid meeting sports fans everywhere. Moved to Seattle in high school.

UW HAS to be on this list.

bballbeachbum
06-08-2018, 11:04 AM
Hahaha
UCLA not on the list? Sure, whatever.......

jazzdelmar
06-08-2018, 11:15 AM
No contest. It's Zona with a bullet. They're even arrogant during the summer on the beach. And that includes Stevie Kerr and Jud Bush.....

Coach Crazy
06-08-2018, 11:17 AM
If it's a PAC12 guy, you want to be at the top of the list. That's an honor, at that point.

kitzbuel
06-08-2018, 11:32 AM
If it's a PAC12 guy, you want to be at the top of the list. That's an honor, at that point.

It was originally written by a bitter Florida fan who works at University-7 which is being investigated by the FBI.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/worst-college-basketball-fans

CDC84
06-08-2018, 11:49 AM
BYU is not high enough. I would seriously put them at #1.

There is no arena in the nation - not even Cameron Indoor Stadium - where EVERY SINGLE FOUL by the home team is booed by the fans. The BYU fans even booed the flagrant foul call on Kelly Olynyk that should have resulted in that brute beast being tossed from the game. I am not talking about that the foul was called a flagrant. I am talking about that it was called a foul AT ALL. That guy hammered Kelly with no intent on making a play on the basketball. You could see his intent from the cheap seats at the Marriott Center.

To me that's the epitome of a group of people who are obnoxious fans.

LongIslandZagFan
06-08-2018, 12:53 PM
It was originally written by a bitter Florida fan who works at University-7 which is being investigated by the FBI.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/worst-college-basketball-fans

Good Lord... what worthless drivel:

8. Gonzaga University BulldogsGonzaga fans make Florida fans seem grounded. By their logic, winning the vaunted West Coast Conference, getting an undeserved high seed, beating a couple of liberal arts schools then getting bounced by the first real team you face every year makes you a "perennial." Zag fans love to delusionally wax poetic about there being "something special at Gonzaga." Gonzaga, if you didn’t know, is in Spokane. What Zag fans don’t realize is they’re not a big fish in a small pond; they’re a big fish in a bathtub. Gonzaga’s roster mostly consists of guys from legit programs who transferred so they could see what winning was like by beating up on St. Mary’s and Loyola Marymount. The dirty fact no Zag fan wants to admit is when they face big state schools, the team is average. Beat Ohio State, lose to Florida. Beat Cal, lose to Washington State. There’s a word for that in big-time basketball conferences: "mediocrity."

maynard g krebs
06-08-2018, 01:05 PM
I went to college in Atlanta. There are quite a few Kentucky fans in Atlanta. They are, hands down, the stupidest and most obnoxious fans I have come across in about 55 years of following college basketball.

U OF A, U OF A a close second.

ETA oops, forgot BYU. U OF A third.

sittingon50
06-08-2018, 01:08 PM
Good Lord... what worthless drivel:

Sounds like a politician. Fact free zone.

Put it on the internet & it MUST be true.

Zagger
06-08-2018, 01:34 PM
I'm reply #15 - does that make me one? Don't answer that!

TexasZagFan
06-08-2018, 03:21 PM

We'd be a lock for number 1 if the category was "most students focusing on selfies with their phones." :lmao:

tinfoilzag
06-08-2018, 03:34 PM
Clickbait. by the way, what is the unit of measure for obnoxiousness?

JPtheBeasta
06-08-2018, 06:26 PM
Clickbait. by the way, what is the unit of measure for obnoxiousness?

I think it is the Ugh.

Ugh=MC2 ; with M=moronic statements and C= clicks

Bogozags
06-09-2018, 08:58 AM
What? A Pac12 tweet that proclaims Gonzaga fans are obnoxious? I'm shocked!

Maybe they are talking about fans at the Women’s games

Kidding of course ��

NotoriousZ
06-09-2018, 09:42 AM

There is no arena in the nation - not even Cameron Indoor Stadium - where EVERY SINGLE FOUL by the home team is booed by the fans. The BYU fans even booed the flagrant foul call on Kelly Olynyk that should have resulted in that brute beast being tossed from the game. I am not talking about that the foul was called a flagrant. I am talking about that it was called a foul AT ALL. That guy hammered Kelly with no intent on making a play on the basketball. You could see his intent from the cheap seats at the Marriott Center.

BYU is #1 for sure, and there’s a big gap on the obnoxious scale until you get to whoever #2 is. I think when they get their game tickets, the BYU fans must take an oath saying they will boo every call against the home team.

I also think if I was officiating a BYU game I’d throw in a few bad calls against BYU just to see if there’s a change in the boo volume level.

BayAreaZagFan
06-09-2018, 11:09 AM
It all depends on where you live, who you play and whose fans you have to put up with.

I don't think Gonzaga fans are obnoxious, but the fact that we travel so well will get us labeled as obnoxious by fans of other teams who don't like to see their buildings filled up by the opposing teams' fans. The more fans there are, the more you risk getting the label. And I don't think we're being called obnoxious because of any boorish behavior on our part, I think it's because of how much we truly enjoy our team. I had a conversation with someone recently who used the word "entitled" when describing Zags fans. I thought that was fairly accurate to a point, but I that's what happens when you have sustained success. We expect our team to be in every game and win more than they lose, and we sometimes react poorly on the rare occasions that doesn't happen, but I would hardly call that being obnoxious.

Living in CA, I'll toss my vote in for UCLA fans being the most obnoxious. When I think of what being an obnoxious fan means, I think of someone that is unable to be realistic when it comes to anything about their team, and they'll put your team down any chance they get, or even worse, be condescending to you. I have a number of friends who are good people, as long as the topic of college basketball or Gonzaga doesn't come up. They'll immediately bring up the tournament game in 2006 (or any GU tournament loss, for that matter), and are somehow unable to remember any of the times we've beaten them. I think GU fans have a healthy sense of realism when it comes to our team and respect for our opponents. UCLA fans do not.

I would call BYU fans more whiny than obnoxious, but I've only had to deal with them twice - once in Denver at the tournament and once at BYU (but that was for a football game - they're not as bad). Unless they're fans of a WCC school, very few people that I know could tell you anything about BYU other than "the Stormin' Mormon", let alone their fans. I don't think they have much of a reputation outside of the WCC or MWC. They're barely a nationally recognized school anymore. Everyone probably still knows their name, but no one could tell you anything about how they've done lately.

zagbeliever
06-09-2018, 11:13 AM

Not only that but they glorified that brute in the Deseret NewsPaper. THE. WORST. FANS. ever.

Zagsker
06-09-2018, 12:00 PM
I can see us on this list...some fans erk me with the "holier than thou" assessment of the "GU way"

I'm a big Nebraska football fan and our fan base shares similarities in that regard

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-09-2018, 12:17 PM
I’ve lived all over this great country and I’ve interacted with most of these fan bases to one degree or another. My top three would have been Kansas, Kentucky, and BYU and the gap between those fans and everyone else is huge.

There is no way Virginia belongs on this list and Maryland shouldn’t be anywhere near the top. I’ve been to games on both campuses. Virginia fans were the most civil major college fan base I’ve ever been around.

Louisville, Syracuse, and Oklahoma State didn’t make the list?

ZagNative
06-09-2018, 12:39 PM
Louisville, Syracuse, and Oklahoma State didn’t make the list?
I'd love to see a home game at Oklahoma State if this, my favorite college arena pre-game video, is still an accurate measure of the fan enthusiasm, not obnoxious, but enthusiastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdRjnLJtoxQ

mattydog73
06-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Can't speak to every form of media but on Twitter. It is Zona fans and it is not close.

EEzag
06-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Can't speak to every form of media but on Twitter. It is Zona fans and it is not close.
Recipe for a BYU fan:

1/2 cup of Kentucky fan
1/2 cup Notre Dame fan
4 cups Grade 'A' Delusion

thebigsmoove
06-13-2018, 05:15 AM
I'd love to see a home game at Oklahoma State if this, my favorite college arena pre-game video, is still an accurate measure of the fan enthusiasm, not obnoxious, but enthusiastic:

Im a sucker for all the crazy chants, Utah State has some fantastic chants:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi_HiInBipc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARpzavb7PQk

GoZags
06-13-2018, 06:29 PM
Recipe for a BYU fan:

1/2 cup of Kentucky fan
1/2 cup Notre Dame fan
4 cups Grade 'A' Delusion

Here's a Virginia fan's take on BYU fans (based on personal experience with his kids in Provo).

Oh, they're very friendly to your face
------
Let me give you an example from a tennis match one of my children participated in in Provo.

Every time she (or any other non-local, for that matter) went to hit a serve and tossed the ball up in the air, the crowd would start hooting, whistling, etc. to try to break the opposing player's concentration. Every time a non-local would make an unforced error, the crowd would erupt with joy. And, frankly, every close line call was called for the local player. I'm not making this up. I actually tracked it by writing it down.

Same with a golf match son #1 participated in. Loud noises from the crowd on the back swings. Cheers and chants when a non-local missed an easy putt.

Honestly, I've been disgusted by the sportsmanship there.

But the people were very nice to me and my children.

(In response to this post by HooBear)

https://virginia.sportswar.com/mid/10310091/board/basketball/