PDA

View Full Version : Norvell 2nd Team All American (247Sports)

Zagdawg
06-08-2018, 07:41 AM
247Sports' Way-Too-Early All-American team

"SECOND TEAM: ZACH NORVELL, GONZAGA
If Gonzaga has the year that many think, the Bulldogs could enter March with two or fewer losses. And that means somebody on Gonzaga’s team is going to draw All-America attention. The pick here is Norvell over Killian Tillie. Tillie put together an unbelievable West Coast Conference Tournament run, while Norvell put together a bit longer string, scoring at least 14 points in each of Gonzaga’s last seven games, averaging 17.1 points per contest while shooting 42.6 percent from three over that string. Given that Norvell made an amazing 57.9 percent of his two-point attempts all year long, that could set him up for a a big year this year."

https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/247Sports-Way-Too-Early-college-basketball-All-American-team-118839626/#118839626_7

GoZags
06-08-2018, 07:47 AM
247Sports' Way-Too-Early All-American team

"SECOND TEAM: ZACH NORVELL, GONZAGA
If Gonzaga has the year that many think, the Bulldogs could enter March with two or fewer losses. And that means somebody on Gonzaga’s team is going to draw All-America attention. The pick here is Norvell over Killian Tillie. Tillie put together an unbelievable West Coast Conference Tournament run, while Norvell put together a bit longer string, scoring at least 14 points in each of Gonzaga’s last seven games, averaging 17.1 points per contest while shooting 42.6 percent from three over that string. Given that Norvell made an amazing 57.9 percent of his two-point attempts all year long, that could set him up for a a big year this year."

https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/247Sports-Way-Too-Early-college-basketball-All-American-team-118839626/#118839626_7

I'd like to introduce 247Sports to young Mr. Hachimura.

That being said, it'd be very cool if they are correct about Zach.

TexasZagFan
06-08-2018, 07:59 AM
I'd like to introduce 247Sports to young Mr. Hachimura.

That being said, it'd be very cool if they are correct about Zach.

Big D concurs! He loves Rui, too!

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1768_zpsobjgqpcn.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1768_zpsobjgqpcn.jpg.html)

jazzdelmar
06-08-2018, 08:13 AM
Nice for Norvell, but Rui is the man.....

CDC84
06-08-2018, 08:49 AM
I expect both guys to have monster seasons. Both will need to if Gonzaga has national championship aspirations. Duke is the only team who might have a better pair of wings, but both of them are freshmen. Snacks and Rui have experience.

I think Snacks is going to get a bit more pub than Rui in some places because he will lead GU in scoring this year. I am 98% certain of it because he puts up a lot of shots, hits a lot of them, and it is what he does best. Plus, the guy is big time in the clutch. The press has taken notice of it. He was pretty special at times last season.

But Rui Hachimura effects the game in more ways. He not only scores. His length and all-star level athleticism make him a terror all over the court. As Few has said, their goal is to get him to be more consistent on the offensive end. There were too many games where Rui went for 6 and then for 19. But even with more consistency, I would still be surprised if he averages 18ppg or something like that. And I still expect Zach to be the go to number one option when the game is tied at 71-71 with 18 seconds to go and Gonzaga with the ball. Zach wants the moment. He lives for that moment more than any GU player since Adam Morrison. He has the best killer instinct for scoring than any Zag since Ammo, although he'll never match Ammo's numbers because Snacks has more talent around him. And there's one other thing. Zach is going to be THE leader on this season's team. He's a born leader. He was capable of doing it last year, but it is almost impossible for frosh to be leaders unless they are named Carmelo.

It depends on what a writer or publication values more. In my view, both should be on preseason All American teams, even though it won't happen in certain places.

TexasZagFan
06-08-2018, 08:57 AM
Where Zach excels IMO is his situational awareness during the game. He takes his shots within the flow of the game, even it appears to be early in the shot clock. He's everywhere: rebounding, timely steals, passing to teammates, and is undeniably unafraid to take the shot at the most crucial of moments. Oh, there's plenty of room for his game to improve, but we are so lucky to have him.

Would not be surprised if he's two and done for us, but that would portend another deep run in the Dance. I think we could live with that, although that would mean extreme turnover for the 2019-2020 season.

cggonzaga
06-08-2018, 09:55 AM
While I agree Rui and Norvell will be leading scorers, I agree with the author that Tillie will be our best player. I think our national title hopes ride more on what Tillie and Perkins does than Rui or Norvell.

Mr Vulture
06-08-2018, 09:57 AM
I think that Rui is more likely to be AA than Norvell but either would make me happy. I expect Rui to explode onto the national scene this year.

Bogozags
06-08-2018, 12:26 PM
As much as I like Zach’s overall game, I think Rui will be a first team AA...only one thing could hold him back and that would be how well he shoots it from 3-land. It’s my opinion that Rui will be the most difficult player to defend at the SF position, because he is not only athletic but strong as an ox and game savvy too.

This isn’t to say that snacks won’t have an AA type year but there are to many freshmen and upper class men that play for P-5 conferences that will get more pub...imo

We will all be pleasantly surprised on how well our ZAGS play this year...

amaronizag
06-09-2018, 06:59 AM
OK, I'll settle this argument, BOTH Snacks and Rui have great seasons and make AA. Works for me. No reason we can't have two or three. Tillie could be AA just as easily.

BilboZaggins
06-09-2018, 09:06 AM
57% on 2pt shots?

Amazing.

Zagsker
06-09-2018, 12:02 PM
I am optimistically throwing Clarke into our list of potential AA

Malastein
06-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Preseason projections don’t mean much! Let’s hope this team puts in the work to make it great!

jchocolate99
06-10-2018, 02:12 AM
Preseason projections don’t mean much! Let’s hope this team puts in the work to make it great!

They mean great conversations and discussions on message boards for fans hahaha enjoy the hype