• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Joel Ayayi Invited to Tryouts for French U-18 Team

Seems like a big deal to the French, per this story on ffbb.com: (Google translation)

Joel Ayayi is expected as one of the U18 leaders - Photo: FIBA

France U18 men's team
    First step in Voiron

Frédéric Crapez and his staff have chosen 17 players to participate in their first Euro U18 training camp (July 28 to August 5 in Latvia). This course will take place in Voiron will be followed by a tournament, the Blueberries will be against Belgium, Ukraine and Croatia.

At the end of the first week of work, the group will be reduced to 14 players to participate at the end of the training camp and the Voiron tournament. Then, a second cut will be made since only 12 players will go to Serbia.

Internship in Voiron from June 26 to July 5, 2018

Tournament of Voiron from July 6 to 8, 2018
    Friday 6 July at 8 pm: France - Belgium
    Saturday 7 July at 8 pm: France - Ukraine
    Sunday 8 July at 5 pm: France - Croatia

Internship in Voiron from 9 to 10 July 2018

Internship in Serbia from July 11 to 14, 2018

European Championship at Ventspils, Liepaja and Riga (Latvia) from 28 July to 5 August 2018

Saturday, July 28 at 19:45: Russia - France
    Sunday, July 29 at 3:15 pm: France - Turkey
    Tuesday, July 31 at 19:45: France - Germany
    Wednesday 1st August: Round of 16
    Friday, August 3: Quarter-finals
    Saturday, August 4th: Semi-finals
    Sunday, August 5: Final
    • Nov 2012

Great for Ayayi who is somehow overshadowed by #9's last name. My new dream is for him to be a Zag and for Bill Walton to call at least one game and have to try to pronounce that.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
      Zag for Life
      • May 2008

That's great for Ayayi and he will make this team easily. Normally, I like guys to stay on campus but with him taking a RS year last year, a tournament like this will be nice to get him into some real game action. On another note, I have to continually shake my head when I realize how young he was last year. The kid is going to the tryouts for the U-18 team yet is going into his second college year. He won't even turn 19 until next March...

Comment

• Hooray4Daye&Gray
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Oct 2008

I was hoping to see Killian Hayes' name when I clicked on the link to see the roster.

Hayes will turn 17 this summer and for me, I'd be more excited to add him than Jordan Lathon or Carlos Alocen for next year.

It seems like he'd be familiar with Killian Tillie and Joel Ayayi, who are also French.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
          I was hoping to see Killian Hayes' name when I clicked on the link to see the roster.

Hayes will turn 17 this summer and for me, I'd be more excited to add him than Jordan Lathon or Carlos Alocen for next year.

It seems like he'd be familiar with Killian Tillie and Joel Ayayi, who are also French.

Hays seems like he is talked about more as a "jump to the nba" guy. Not a college guy. Do you have any inclination he is looking to go the collegiate route?

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
            Banned
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post

Hayes is on the U 17 team. I posted a link in the Kai Soto thread.

Comment

• Zagdawg
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Congrats to Joel for the opportunity to represent France.

Comment

• Hooray4Daye&Gray
                Kennel Club Alum
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
                Hays seems like he is talked about more as a "jump to the nba" guy. Not a college guy. Do you have any inclination he is looking to go the collegiate route?
                No, but everything I read also says he's a 2020 NBA Draft guy.

That leaves 2 years to decide if he wants to opt for the mystery of remaining in Europe, or if he thinks the exposure of college ball would better help him with his draft stock.

I suppose it's debatable which option better prepares a player for the NBA game. It's not really debatable that coming to the US sooner than later will help acclimate them to the culture before joining the NBA.

Comment

Working...
                X