PDA

View Full Version : Coach Few on Andy Katz' Podcast

Zags_Fanatic
06-05-2018, 09:17 AM
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-06-05/college-basketball-gonzagas-mark-few-discusses-return-key

thebigsmoove
06-05-2018, 09:41 AM
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-06-05/college-basketball-gonzagas-mark-few-discusses-return-key

FYI, Mark Few interview starts at 8:11

jazzdelmar
06-05-2018, 09:56 AM
Best interview of MF I’ve ever heard. His comments obsolesce most what’s been said here in months. Lots of great insider stuff. Best was comment that early entry process doesn’t necessarily benefit player. Rui is already better than March. Tillie is healed but Josh is not. A must listen.

OntZags
06-05-2018, 10:03 AM
A must listen.

And apparently Clarke can shoot out to the 3 now is awesome to hear too.

And they are still looking to add a transfer or pick someone up late.

ZagNative
06-05-2018, 10:22 AM
That was fun! Thanks for posting!

MDABE80
06-05-2018, 10:41 AM

THIS is the best news..........seems he used his year in training to learn long 2's and 3's. That could put him in the draft. Superior player.

Zaga
06-05-2018, 11:38 AM
Greatly appreciated Zags_Fanatic!

Hopeful that JP is ready to go

thespywhozaggedme
06-05-2018, 11:38 AM

Wow!! If that's the case, then look out!!

zagsfanforlife
06-05-2018, 11:49 AM
Maybe i am digging too deep into it, but the way he sounded talking about Clarke, it really sounds like Mark knows he is going to be a star.

ZAG 4 LIFE
06-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Maybe i am digging too deep into it, but the way he sounded talking about Clarke, it really sounds like Mark knows he is going to be a star.

Clarke led the entire MWC in scoring and blocked shots, and was second in the conference in rebounding...
The guy can play

Coach Crazy
06-05-2018, 12:01 PM

IF that is true, and he can get anywhere near 38-40% with decent volume, that is absolutely awesome to hear. Will wait with measured optimism.

jazzdelmar
06-05-2018, 12:03 PM
Tip off was Few was dramatically more measured talking about Clark than returning stars. Even better, no mention of Joel. And Few didn’t cough at the #1 ranking by buddy Cats.

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-05-2018, 12:35 PM
Also worth noting Few’s comment about Clarke being quick on his feet and able to switch on D. Zags may lack bulk and muscle down low but looking like a real modern hoops team w post players able to switch and D up guards when necessary.

TheBunnieRancher
06-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Was anyone else paying attention to the podcast when Gonzaga was listed as one of three potential landing spots for Reid Travis?

jazzdelmar
06-05-2018, 12:46 PM
Was anyone else paying attention to the podcast when Gonzaga was listed as one of three potential landing spots for Reid Travis?

I heard that but chalked it up to sloppy research by Cats. He’s headed east. To one Cat team or another.

Zagceo
06-05-2018, 12:51 PM
nice attention... considered a NUMBER #1 team for 5 months

Clark Tillie Rui will run and spread the court NBA lite

tinfoilzag
06-05-2018, 01:01 PM
Clark Tillie Rui will run and spread the court NBA lite

Would be cool to see a stat that shows % of times the ball was brought up by a PG, SG, SF, PF. We would have to be top 10 in teams last year that had someone other than the PG advance the ball past the time line.

thespywhozaggedme
06-05-2018, 01:27 PM
Two new things to add to this thread; thanks to a poster named Bunnierancher I started at the beginning and Katz lists Kentucky, Villanova and Gonzaga as in play for reid Travis. Katz is a s connected as anyone in cbb, so it wasn't arbitrary that he mentioned those three schools. Secondly, and I didn't see it mentioned here, but Few said that he wants ZN to be a "Brunson" type, which is very interesting to me because many of us have mentioned that ZN has great vision and passing skills for a sg and maybe Few is thinking of starting him at the point in the beginning of the season if Josh isn't healthy.

jazzdelmar
06-05-2018, 01:32 PM
Two new things to add to this thread; thanks to a poster named Bunnierancher I started at the beginning and Katz lists Kentucky, Villanova and Gonzaga as in play for reid Travis. Katz is a s connected as anyone in cbb, so it wasn't arbitrary that he mentioned those three schools. Secondly, and I didn't see it mentioned here, but Few said that he wants ZN to be a "Brunson" type, which is very interesting to me because many of us have mentioned that ZN has great vision and passing skills for a sg and maybe Few is thinking of starting him at the point in the beginning of the season if Josh isn't healthy.

Good citation of the Brunson comparison. Yes, he’s looking at Z in that role irrespective of Josh’s availability. As for Travis, wistful thinking I’m afraid. He’s bought what the Crook sells.

thespywhozaggedme
06-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Good citation of the Brunson comparison. Yes, he’s looking at Z in that role irrespective of Josh’s availability. As for Travis, wistful thinking I’m afraid. He’s bought what the Crook sells.

I hope not, but am afraid you might be correct.

bballbeachbum
06-05-2018, 01:52 PM
enjoyed the listen, thanks for posting
and this thread
looking forward to watching all of what Few discusses as the season develops, see how it all evolves.

Zach encouraged to have better shot selection while being more creative/aggressive off the bounce; Clarke adding range to his already stud game and being able to switch on the perimeter; Josh's health and recovery; Rui not deferring and not only looking to take over but being asked to do it; Tillie maturing and being a leader. A healthy Kispert all year would be a big boost too

SLOZag
06-05-2018, 01:53 PM
As for Travis, wistful thinking I’m afraid. He’s bought what the Crook sells.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell whether you are merely offering an opinion based upon "a feeling", or you are restating a fact you obtained from a reliable source. Care to clarify your post, and id the source if one exists?

jazzdelmar
06-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Sometimes it is difficult to tell whether you are merely offering an opinion based upon "a feeling", or you are restating a fact you obtained from a reliable source. Care to clarify your post, and id the source if one exists?

Tea leaves. Tarot cards. The way the wind is blowing. A recidivist cheater.

SLOZag
06-05-2018, 02:05 PM
Maybe you could switch to espresso? I suggest Lavazza's Grand Selezionne. It offers a rich, almost "chocolaty" taste, and doesn't leave you with that "down in the mouth" aftereffect so often reported to follow the drinking of beverages made from "loose tea."

jazzdelmar
06-05-2018, 02:14 PM
Maybe you could switch to espresso? I suggest Lavazza's Grand Selezionne. It offers a rich, almost "chocolaty" taste, and doesn't leave you with that "down in the mouth" aftereffect so often reported to follow the drinking of beverages made from "loose tea."

So, I should ignore the wind as well? Thanks, but I prefer illy

cjm720
06-05-2018, 03:08 PM
Also worth noting Few’s comment about Clarke being quick on his feet and able to switch on D. Zags may lack bulk and muscle down low but looking like a real modern hoops team w post players able to switch and D up guards when necessary.

Also of note, Few said that Clarke is better than expected. That says a lot.

maynard g krebs
06-05-2018, 07:25 PM
Few said that he wants ZN to be a "Brunson" type, which is very interesting to me because many of us have mentioned that ZN has great vision and passing skills for a sg and maybe Few is thinking of starting him at the point in the beginning of the season if Josh isn't healthy.

I could be wrong, but my impression was that he was talking about Brunson's ability to post up, and about using ZN in that way next season. Something Bouldin, for one, did a lot.

thespywhozaggedme
06-05-2018, 07:53 PM
I could be wrong, but my impression was that he was talking about Brunson's ability to post up, and about using ZN in that way next season. Something Bouldin, for one, did a lot.

Hmmm...I didn't get that at all, but you could be right. I just think that if he was specifically talking about having him post up smaller guards he could've used Nigel as a more relevant comparison instead of Brunson. But if Josh isn't completely healthy by the start of the season Zach could play the point.

Zagceo
06-05-2018, 09:13 PM

I think he was taking about the way Brunson would used his body in the lane..put a player on his hip and take advantage of his size and quickness kinda like Harden does.

Packman
06-05-2018, 09:52 PM

Hey fellas and ladies just stopped by to say hi. I listened to the pod and like you guys, I thought it was awesome. Coach Few is amazing. Just a couple of quick things.

Brandon Clarke is the real freakin deal. He played on the worst team in the conference, and still managed to flat out dominate. I can only imagine how much hes improved during his sitout year. Im extremely confident you guys are going to love him.

Second, coach left a small crack in the door when scheduling came up. Even though your OOC is unbelievable he said they might add one more tough game. I can dream right?! ha

Lastly I spend a lot of time on twitter @Tlemieux72 and just wanted to say what a great respectful fanbase you guys our, I throughly enjoy my interaction with Gonzaga fans. I only pray that if Nevada is able to maintain anywhere close to our current momentum that we follow your lead, remain humble, and let our players/coaches do the talking on the court for us. Good luck this season. Go Pack!

rennis
06-06-2018, 06:17 AM
Also of note, Few said that Clarke is better than expected. That says a lot.

Do we know what his range is? Defenses could afford to sag a little and gamble leaving JW3 out near the perimeter. If that changes with Clarke, boom goes the dynamite.

ZagNative
06-06-2018, 06:23 AM
Hey fellas and ladies just stopped by to say hi. I listened to the pod and like you guys, I thought it was awesome. Coach Few is amazing. Just a couple of quick things.

Brandon Clarke is the real freakin deal. He played on the worst team in the conference, and still managed to flat out dominate. I can only imagine how much hes improved during his sitout year. Im extremely confident you guys are going to love him.

Second, coach left a small crack in the door when scheduling came up. Even though your OOC is unbelievable he said they might add one more tough game. I can dream right?! ha

Lastly I spend a lot of time on twitter @Tlemieux72 and just wanted to say what a great respectful fanbase you guys our, I throughly enjoy my interaction with Gonzaga fans. I only pray that if Nevada is able to maintain anywhere close to our current momentum that we follow your lead, remain humble, and let our players/coaches do the talking on the court for us. Good luck this season. Go Pack!Welcome! Good to have you! I have you added as a follow on my twitter feed. Fingers crossed we'll see a H-H scheduled with the Pack this fall!
fall!

Zagdawg
06-06-2018, 06:45 AM
Welcome to the board. I would also love to see a home and home series started-- keeping my fingers crossed.

Best of luck this year!

Coach Crazy
06-06-2018, 07:48 AM

Gary Payton was legendary at this. That baseline post he had was killer.

CDC84
06-06-2018, 08:09 AM
Clarke led the entire MWC in scoring and blocked shots, and was second in the conference in rebounding...
The guy can play

Moreover, Clarke was THE FOCUS of every opponent he played against in the MWC. When players put up the numbers that they do while playing for sucky teams, it can speak volumes as to their potential of what they might be able to do on a great team. Clarke's inside the arc shooting percentage shows he's a capable scorer. The rebounding and defense are reflective of his effort, which isn't always easy when your team isn't so good.

sittingon50
06-06-2018, 10:05 AM

Brandon Clarke is the real freakin deal. He played on the worst team in the conference, and still managed to flat out dominate. I can only imagine how much he’s improved during his sitout year. I’m extremely confident you guys are going to love him.

Lastly I spend a lot of time on twitter @Tlemieux72 and just wanted to say what a great respectful fanbase you guys our, I throughly enjoy my interaction with Gonzaga fans. I only pray that if Nevada is able to maintain anywhere close to our current momentum that we follow your lead, remain humble, and let our players/coaches do the talking on the court for us. Good luck this season. Go Pack!

Welcome Packman. Stick around.

JPtheBeasta
06-06-2018, 10:53 AM

I agree. It seems most likely that his mention of Brunson's patience and stopping with two feet in the lane was a reference to when he is scoring.

zag buddy
06-06-2018, 02:38 PM
Cory Krispert was conspecious by his absence. Hopefully he has made a great sophomore leap.

MickMick
06-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Clarke will be the best player on the team.

TexasZagFan
06-06-2018, 05:44 PM
Clarke will be the best player on the team.

IMHO, Rui is going to be the star of stars on next year's team. His game is growing by leaps and bounds, and he'll show the world that he's a bona fide NBA lottery pick.

And he's got the personality and million dollar smile that NBA owners crave.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1820_zpsdsuagrfq.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1820_zpsdsuagrfq.jpg.html)

Zagnificent
06-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Moreover, Clarke was THE FOCUS of every opponent he played against in the MWC. When players put up the numbers that they do while playing for sucky teams, it can speak volumes as to their potential of what they might be able to do on a great team. Clarke's inside the arc shooting percentage shows he's a capable scorer. The rebounding and defense are reflective of his effort, which isn't always easy when your team isn't so good.

...Pretty much what Reid Travis has had to deal with for 3 years.

Zagnificent
06-07-2018, 08:42 AM
IMHO, Rui is going to be the star of stars on next year's team. His game is growing by leaps and bounds, and he'll show the world that he's a bona fide NBA lottery pick.

He is the most eminently likable player that I've ever seen. Just having friends over to casually watch the game, it's immediately apparent that he is having fun out there, playing hard but not taking things so seriously. He will be a fan favorite wherever he goes. And his name is just so fun to say.

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-07-2018, 12:41 PM

And the Japanese fan base any NBA owner would love to have too