PDA

View Full Version : Anton Watson at the USA U-18 National Team Tryouts

ZagNative
06-02-2018, 06:03 PM
The final selections for the team are scheduled to be announced today. Hope our guy Anton makes the cut!

Story from Inside the Kennel: https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/Gonzagas-2019-Commit-Anton-Watson-Will-Be-Trying-To-Earn-A-Spot-On-The-U-18-Team-118098340

The past 12 months have seen 2019 Gonzaga commit, Anton Watson, blossom from a local star in Spokane, to one of the top 60 recruits in his class. Along the way, Watson has committed to his dream school, earned Washington 4A State POY, and won a State Championship on an undefeated team.

All of this hard work and improvement has earned Watson numerous accolades along the way. However, his recent selection to the USA Basketball U-18 Trials, as well as a spot at the NBPA Top 100 camp, might be the most impressive yet.

“Coach Few told me about a month ago that I was going to be selected,” the Gonzaga commit said. “He came by and we had a talk with him, my family, and my travel team coach, John Stockton. He told me that I was going to be selected for the team.”

Pic from the USA U-18 website (https://www.usab.com/basketball/media/galleries/2018/06/usa-mens-u18-training-camp.aspx):

https://www.usab.com/~/media/d9cff77e47814f48a9bfdc3a5d774089.ashx?as=1&iar=1

EEzag
06-02-2018, 07:59 PM
The final selections for the team are scheduled to be announced today. Hope our guy Anton makes the cut!

Story from Inside the Kennel: https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/Gonzagas-2019-Commit-Anton-Watson-Will-Be-Trying-To-Earn-A-Spot-On-The-U-18-Team-118098340

Pic from the USA U-18 website (https://www.usab.com/basketball/media/galleries/2018/06/usa-mens-u18-training-camp.aspx):

https://www.usab.com/~/media/d9cff77e47814f48a9bfdc3a5d774089.ashx?as=1&iar=1

Congratulations and good luck Anton!

ZagNative
06-02-2018, 09:29 PM
No word yet, but here's some nice quick video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0jWsmsYMhM

OntZags
06-03-2018, 05:51 AM
Here's a link to the camps' official measurements:

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/status/1002945151772364800

Anton is 6'8" without shoes, 6'9.5" with shoes. 6'10.5" wingspan. 206 lbs. His standing reach is 8'9.5" with a max vertical of 33.5" and standing vertical of 28'5".

Good to see he is a legitimate 6'8 already. Reasonable chance he can play both the 3 & 4 when he gets to Gonzaga. His verticals aren't the greatest - particularly at a camp like this - but solid nevertheless.

Hoping he fared well overall in camp and makes the squad. Was planning to watch the gold medal game (probably CAN/US) and it'd be great to get a first hand look of him.

Radbooks
06-03-2018, 06:21 AM
He made the top 18 cut! Final 12 decided on June 7th

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/06/mu18-finalists.aspx

Zagceo
06-03-2018, 06:30 AM
congrats to AW

jazzdelmar
06-03-2018, 08:35 AM
Quite an achievement. Precursor to McD?

Hogan
06-03-2018, 09:30 AM
Glad to hear of his height. Certainly think he can play some at the 4. He has big sturdy legs. Like a lot of high school kids he has an undeveloped upper body. I would guess he can easily play at 225.

Mantua
06-03-2018, 12:04 PM
Glad to hear of his height. Certainly think he can play some at the 4. He has big sturdy legs. Like a lot of high school kids he has an undeveloped upper body. I would guess he can easily play at 225.

The outdated height measurement for Anton is still on the roster. Currently eight forwards are listed including Kamaka Hepa.

https://www.usab.com/mens/u18/roster.aspx

jazzdelmar
06-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Two from DeMatha.

OntZags
06-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Quite an achievement. Precursor to McD?

It's possible but not sure he gets enough national exposure in Spokane. I suspect GPrep would have to enter some serious tourneys and truly contend for a Nationals spot for him to get consideration.

And while he made the top-18, there are a large number of very highly ranked guys who didn't come to U.S. camp at all who will contend for MCD spots. (including virtual AA locks like Wiseman & Carey and foreign guys like Bassey & Achiuwa)

Zags_Fanatic
06-03-2018, 02:30 PM
It's possible but not sure he gets enough national exposure in Spokane. I suspect GPrep would have to enter some serious tourneys and truly contend for a Nationals spot for him to get consideration.

And while he made the top-18, there are a large number of very highly ranked guys who didn't come to U.S. camp at all who will contend for MCD spots. (including virtual AA locks like Wiseman & Carey and foreign guys like Bassey & Achiuwa)

Spokane might not get the exposure, but G-Prep was ranked #18 at the end of their undefeated season and is definitely on the radar.

cggonzaga
06-03-2018, 04:11 PM

These rankings are generally based on AAU seasons not high school seasons.

DixieZag
06-03-2018, 05:17 PM
Wow.

Zagdawg
06-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
56s57 seconds ago
More Jim Meehan Retweeted USA Basketball
Gonzaga Prep's Anton Watson, GU class of 2019, made first cut to 18 but apparently not the final cut to 12. Impressive showing by talented 6-8 forward

https://twitter.com/usabasketball/status/1004094526645030918

SLOZag
06-05-2018, 12:56 PM
Kameka Hepa made the cut.

jazzdelmar
06-05-2018, 01:05 PM

The unkindest cut of all.

CDC84
06-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Bring out the Bard.

thespywhozaggedme
06-05-2018, 01:19 PM

Keep in mind, he's a year ahead of AW. KH is gonna be a freshman this year at Texas, AW is gonna be a senior in high school.

jazzdelmar
06-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Bring out the Bard.

And send in the clowns.

Mantua
06-05-2018, 09:03 PM
Keep in mind, he's a year ahead of AW. KH is gonna be a freshman this year at Texas, AW is gonna be a senior in high school.

Do we know Antonís age? He looks young.

maynard g krebs
06-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Do we know Anton’s age? He looks young.

Googled it for you. He turns 18 on October 6.

cggonzaga
06-05-2018, 10:25 PM
Googled it for you. He turns 18 on October 6.

In case anybody was wondering, Ravet turned 18 at the end of February.

MileHigh
06-06-2018, 03:54 AM
In case anybody was wondering, Ravet turned 18 at the end of February.

So he is a year older than everyone in his class. How did that happen? Athletic hold back?

jazzdelmar
06-06-2018, 04:41 AM
So he is a year older than everyone in his class. How did that happen? Athletic hold back?

So he’s going to graduate HS at 19? And will turn 20 during his freshman year?......that discounts performance to some extent. Watson is about right, but certainly no ingenue. Texas HS football stuff.

GoZags
06-06-2018, 04:50 AM
that discounts performance to some extent.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that his age had nothing to do with him winning the State of Washington Gatorade POY award. But maybe you know best.

jazzdelmar
06-06-2018, 04:54 AM
I'll go out on a limb and guess that his age had nothing to do with him winning the State of Washington Gatorade POY award. But maybe you know best.

So, youíre asserting that being 1-2 years older than some of the comp offers no advantage at this stage in his development? There are players in college at his age.

Zagdawg
06-06-2018, 04:56 AM
Jazz -- do not ruin this thread also-- go play in the sand or something.

jazzdelmar
06-06-2018, 04:58 AM
Jazz -- do not ruin this thread also-- go play in the sand or something.

Too early. Thanks for the suggestion. I think Watson is a super recruit, how’s that? PS: It was Mile High who raised the red flag. Perhaps a jaunt in the Rockies for him......

titopoet
06-06-2018, 07:32 AM
So heís going to graduate HS at 19? And will turn 20 during his freshman year?......that discounts performance to some extent. Watson is about right, but certainly no ingenue. Texas HS football stuff.

Math does a mind good.
He turns 18 in Oct and will be 18 when he graduates in May of 2019. He will 18 when he starts Gonzaga, and turn 19 before the season starts in Oct of 2019.

jazzdelmar
06-06-2018, 07:35 AM
Math does a mind good.
He turns 18 in Oct and will be 18 when he graduates in May of 2019. He will 18 when he starts Gonzaga, and turn 19 before the season starts in Oct of 2019.

Was talking about Ravet, already 18.

Per cgg: "In case anybody was wondering, Ravet turned 18 at the end of February."

CDC84
06-06-2018, 08:12 AM
Making the final 18 was quite a accomplishment. For all we know, Watson might've been the last cut. Several of the guys on that team have played against a lot more stiffer competition that Anton has, so it may have been a great learning experience for him. He could be every bit as good as most of the players that were selected for that team. Plus, again, they are selecting a team here. They can't take 7 guys who play Watson's position.

bdmiller7
06-06-2018, 10:17 AM

Per cgg: "In case anybody was wondering, Ravet turned 18 at the end of February."

So... Ravet turned 18 in Feb and Ayayi turned 18 in March.

Mantua
06-06-2018, 02:52 PM
It’s very common for all kinds of kids to be held back these days. The practice became fairly popular with parents as far back as the 80’s. I knew a couple of Montessori parents who lied through their teeth to give their very normal daughter what they considered an advantage by holding her out a year due to mysterious “immaturity problems”. Parents don’t bother to find excuses anymore.

Mantua
06-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Making the final 18 was quite a accomplishment. For all we know, Watson might've been the last cut. Several of the guys on that team have played against a lot more stiffer competition that Anton has, so it may have been a great learning experience for him. He could be every bit as good as most of the players that were selected for that team. Plus, again, they are selecting a team here. They can't take 7 guys who play Watson's position.

I had similar thoughts. They didn’t list the ages on the USA site.

Bouldin4Prez
06-06-2018, 02:59 PM
So... Ravet turned 18 in Feb and Ayayi turned 18 in March.

Ayayi will be two years into his college career and only one month apart in age from Ravet by the time Ravet steps on campus. Crazy.

Mantua
06-06-2018, 03:15 PM

C’mon Jazz, it’s not as if he were 30 and done hard time.

jazzdelmar
06-06-2018, 03:20 PM
C’mon Jazz, it’s not as if he were 30 and done hard time.

Not the point. His advanced age may, just may, distort some of his HS BB achievements.

maynard g krebs
06-06-2018, 03:35 PM
So, you’re asserting that being 1-2 years older than some of the comp offers no advantage at this stage in his development? There are players in college at his age.

One year older than the majority in his hs class, not 2. Not uncommon; a lot of players are 19 as fr. He was 17 at the start of the current school year; very few start college and play at 17, so this really isn't true. Ayayi came in a year early; he's a rare exception.

Ravet and Watson both are born in 2000; most high schools have the cutoff line around Dec or Jan, so traditionally both would have been in the class of 2018.

FWIW, Dan Dickau was held back a year as well; born in '78 and entered college in '97. A few months younger than Ravet relative to his class.

GoZags
06-06-2018, 04:58 PM
Not the point. His advanced age may, just may, distort some of his HS BB achievements.

So he’s approximately the same age as last year’s h s Seniors (none of whom were the State of Washington’s Gatorade Player of the year).

ZagNative
06-06-2018, 05:19 PM
Gawd almighty .... Another thread derailed by Jazz's negativism .... I just wish people would just stop responding to him ...

TexasZagFan
06-06-2018, 05:54 PM
So he’s approximately the same age as last year’s h s Seniors (none of whom were the State of Washington’s Gatorade Player of the year).

Another few years, and he'd be perfect fit with the other BYU freshman. :lmao:

I don't know who referred to some of us as "in loco parentis", but I'll wear that badge proudly. That week in Spokane last summer changed me for good. After seeing how they responded to the campers, not just to my son and grandson, heck yes I'm a homer and think of all these young men as my adopted sons.

Oh hell, I'm traveling back in time to the summer of '79, one of the greatest summers of my life...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNAQ8LLptUo

TexasZagFan
06-06-2018, 06:06 PM
It’s very common for all kinds of kids to be held back these days. The practice became fairly popular with parents as far back as the 80’s. I knew a couple of Montessori parents who lied through their teeth to give their very normal daughter what they considered an advantage by holding her out a year due to mysterious “immaturity problems”. Parents don’t bother to find excuses anymore.

Holding kids back a year for athletics is common practice in several 'burbs in North Texas. You see it during middle school football games in the fall, we'd get hammered every year by one particular ISD...it would be 35-0 before the end of the first quarter. It was the smugness of the parents living vicariously that really got under my skin.

I remember one game when my son was in 7th grade...he was all of 5 foot 3 and 110 pounds soaking wet. We were giving half a foot in height and 30 plus pounds to each player, because their parents held them back for a year. I was sitting next to a new parent who had moved into the area, and she asked me why we were getting our butts thrashed. I told her why, and the silence from the opposing team's parents was thunderous. Their attitude was, we could do it too.

This ISD now has to live on past glories, as mighty Allen, with their 6500 strong student body and $50 million football stadium is winning the bulk of the state championships now. Imagine that, a high school with a larger student population than Gonzaga. Who am I to talk...ours is approaching 4000, and a freshman campus will be open in the fall.

GoZags
06-06-2018, 07:36 PM
Gawd almighty .... Another thread derailed by Jazz's negativism .... I just wish people would just stop responding to him ...

Sorry ZN. I’ll try to do better next time

And the time after that.
And the time after that
And the time after that
And the time after that
And the time after that

ZagsGoZags
06-07-2018, 03:04 AM
ZN said: "Gawd almighty .... Another thread derailed by Jazz's negativism .... I just wish people would just stop responding to him ..."

Sorry ZN. I’ll try to do better next time

And the time after that.
And the time after that
And the time after that
And the time after that
And the time after that

For me personally, this is not class. The way to disagree with somebody is with evidence and reason in a respectful conversation. Jazz has often been a reality check, or skeptic to this Board's tendency to sometimes float up into wishful thinking. It takes all types of personalities to make a good conversation around the campfire. These comments move more in the direction of shunning and stigmatizing a person (rather than the person's viewpoint) who is part of our community. Just my two cents.

Sorry to have to disagree with you ZagNative and GoZags on this point. I enjoy reading your posts on an almost daily basis, and learn a lot from both of you.

GoZags
06-07-2018, 04:54 AM
ZN said: "Gawd almighty .... Another thread derailed by Jazz's negativism .... I just wish people would just stop responding to him ..."

For me personally, this is not class. The way to disagree with somebody is with evidence and reason in a respectful conversation. Jazz has often been a reality check, or skeptic to this Board's tendency to sometimes float up into wishful thinking. It takes all types of personalities to make a good conversation around the campfire. These comments move more in the direction of shunning and stigmatizing a person (rather than the person's viewpoint) who is part of our community. Just my two cents.

Sorry to have to disagree with you ZagNative and GoZags on this point. I enjoy reading your posts on an almost daily basis, and learn a lot from both of you.

I'll try do to better next time.

MileHigh
06-07-2018, 05:17 AM
Too early. Thanks for the suggestion. I think Watson is a super recruit, how’s that? PS: It was Mile High who raised the red flag. Perhaps a jaunt in the Rockies for him......

I am actually a big proponent of kids with summer birthdays starting school later as opposed to earlier, and have talked to a number of education and medical professionals that share that point of view.

Because most districts use September or October as the cut off date. kids with summer birthdays will either be the youngest kids in their class ( if they start Kindergarten right when the turn 5 years old) or will be one of the oldest if they wait a year and start when they are 6. If they wait, it gives them a definite edge, both athletically, and to some extent socially, during grade school and middle school which instills confidence. By the time they are Jr's and Sr's in High school that age difference isn't as big an advantage, but it certainly doesn't hurt, but the confidence they gained during their formative years is something that carries over.

I also advocate "hold backs" for summer birthday kids that enrolled when they are 5, but are now physically or emotionally immature as they make their way through grade school and middle school. Repeating a year of middle school is the best way to do it, but usually should to be done at a different school or through home schooling for social reasons.
With the Ravet kid, seeing as how he wasn't on the cutoff (feb birthday) he had to have either been a hold back at some point, or perhaps started school a full year later than his peers due to other reasons when he was young. In any event, I doubt at this point it gives him much of an advantage, especially since it doesn't sound like his success is based on him being physically more mature as opposed to simply being very skilled.

jazzdelmar
06-07-2018, 05:23 AM
I am actually a big proponent of kids with summer birthdays starting school later as opposed to earlier, and have talked to a number of education and medical professionals that share that point of view.

Because most districts use September or October as the cut off date. kids with summer birthdays will either be the youngest kids in their class ( if they start Kindergarten right when the turn 5 years old) or will be one of the oldest if they wait a year and start when they are 6. If they wait, it gives them a definite edge, both athletically, and to some extent socially, during grade school and middle school which instills confidence. By the time they are Jr's and Sr's in High school that age difference isn't as big an advantage, but it certainly doesn't hurt, but the confidence they gained during their formative years is something that carries over.

I also advocate "hold backs" for summer birthday kids that enrolled when they are 5, but are now physically or emotionally immature as they make their way through grade school and middle school. Repeating a year of middle school is the best way to do it, but usually should to be done at a different school or through home schooling for social reasons.
With the Ravet kid, seeing as how he wasn't on the cutoff (feb birthday) he had to have either been a hold back at some point, or perhaps started school a full year later than his peers due to other reasons when he was young. In any event, I doubt at this point it gives him much of an advantage, especially since it doesn't sound like his success is based on him being physically more mature as opposed to simply being very skilled.

Duly noted. Thanks for the informed and rational opinion.

Zagdawg
06-07-2018, 05:47 AM
Great to see Watson had the opportunity to play with some good players and this will help him as he gets ready to move into AAU and summer ball.

Robzagnut
06-07-2018, 07:54 AM

I think Jazz is in reality another Colangelo burner account.

EEzag
06-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Great to see Watson had the opportunity to play with some good players and this will help him as he gets ready to move into AAU and summer ball.

That 2019 incoming class is looking better and better. Add our incoming super-talent (DH) in 2020 and we could have another talent convergence like this year.

We are spoiled in Zag-land. We really are.

maynard g krebs
06-07-2018, 12:40 PM

I think it's the hyperbole to exaggerate a point that irks people- i.e. saying he's "a year or two" older than his peers, when in fact it's a year (and that's true of many players). And suggesting that it will lead him having less room for development. To complete the Dickau comparison I made above, if Ravet doesn't redshirt and plays 4 years, he will just turn 23 at tourney time his sr year; Dickau was 23 and a half at sr year tourney time.

And athletically, it's not a bad thing. I went to high school with a kid named Kenny Schroy( class of '71, Quakertown HS, Quakertown Pa.) He was held back a year in elementary school due strictly to academics, I assume, as his younger bro was the age of his class. Spring birthday so he was 19+ yrs at graduation.

Kenny also matured early and was 6'2, 180 in 9th grade and was a star in fb, bb and track. Good, not great athlete- 10.3 in the 100 yards, (not meters), 22 ft in the long jump. But after playing free safety at Maryland, he was drafted in the 9th round by the NY Jets, made the team and played about 9 seasons if memory serves, starting the last few. Don Shula once said skillwise he played the safety position better than anyone else in the league. I'd suggest it's possible that being bigger and better than everyone around him as a kid led to him achieving above his physical ability on the pro level. Just an anecdotal thought, of course.

Mantua
06-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Kids mature in different areas at different rates. Being hypercritical about a kid's future in college sports due to a a few months one way or the other is nonsensical, in my opinion.

GrizZAG
06-07-2018, 03:20 PM
Kids mature in different areas at different rates. Being hypercritical about a kid's future in college sports due to a a few months one way or the other is nonsensical, in my opinion.

Logical answer, thank you.

Zaga
06-08-2018, 04:29 AM
interesting story Krebs...Thanks

bartruff1
06-08-2018, 05:15 AM
Jazz's point was right on....and appropriate.....I don't see any reason for the fuss about it...

I was a immature 17 when I started at Gonzaga and was always younger, weaker and smaller than my classmates during those development years....parents are holding kids back, because it gives them a advantage to be older until everyone matures ...

jazzdelmar
06-08-2018, 05:54 AM

You saw "hypercritical," I wrote cautionary. Rashomon lives on this board.

GrizZAG
06-08-2018, 06:36 AM
interesting story Krebs...Thanks

Jack Elway was an assistant football coach at Montana for five years I think it was. Young John played Little Grizzly Football in Missoula. As the story goes, John Elway was slow, overweight and not particularly good at football in his budding youth. The rest we all know.

willandi
06-08-2018, 07:10 AM
Jack Elway was an assistant football coach at Montana for five years I think it was. Young John played Little Grizzly Football in Missoula. As the story goes, John Elway was slow, overweight and not particularly good at football in his budding youth. The rest we all know.

When my Dad started teaching at Montana (I think it was 1971), they lived up the Rattlesnake for a couple of years and then bought Jack's house up on the south hill.

I was already out of the nest by then, so am not 100% sure of the dates, but I do know that the Elway's daughter(s) came by at least once to look at the house they grew up in.

GrizZAG
06-08-2018, 07:20 AM
As usual, some of us drift off on side discussions having only an oblique connection if any to the OP thread. For that I apologize as I am guilty. However some of us have made great connections that bring us together as friends finding things in common through these interactions. Now I know Will and I share a Missoula connection, but I knew him through other avenues before. Again, sorry for the drift.

Mantua
06-08-2018, 08:06 PM
You saw "hypercritical," I wrote cautionary. Rashomon lives on this board.

You are right. "Hypercritical" was a bit strong. I should have considered other choices in reply to a spirit dampening assertion.

MDABE80
06-08-2018, 08:28 PM
Brock ? Doesn't matter the age really. He's doing well. He'll be a good one for us if you like shooters.