PDA

View Full Version : Would You Prefer Team Members (especially new to GU) Spend the Summer . . .

TravelinZag
06-02-2018, 09:10 AM
. . competing in AAU or other organized competition; OR on campus, conditioning, playing pickup games with present and past Zags, getting to know each other, and perhaps getting a jump on academics by taking one or two courses?

Mantua
06-02-2018, 11:23 AM
Playing AAU ball offers a summer of playing against some high level competition and is not without value, but at that point I think itís more worthwhile for players to focus on the college game, get a jump on the transition and contribute towards building team chemistry.

bartruff1
06-02-2018, 11:31 AM
I think they ought to be working and learning some life skills....

Zagceo
06-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Classes

Weights

Ball

LAKE

should be some of the best times of their lives

hooter73
06-02-2018, 12:11 PM
Get on campus, play with and live with the teammates youíre going to go into battle with in a few months. The training and instruction they get here is way more important for their career than aau style play could ever give them.

TexasZagFan
06-02-2018, 01:34 PM
Get on campus, play with and live with the teammates you’re going to go into battle with in a few months. The training and instruction they get here is way more important for their career than aau style play could ever give them.

Get them to help out with the summer camps, just as I saw last summer. Adds to the family atmosphere of Zag basketball, more bonding time with teammates.

willandi
06-02-2018, 01:46 PM
Get on campus, play with and live with the teammates you’re going to go into battle with in a few months. The training and instruction they get here is way more important for their career than aau style play could ever give them.

Get them to help out with the summer camps, just as I saw last summer. Adds to the family atmosphere of Zag basketball, more bonding time with teammates.

And perhaps playing with/against former and current NBA players, not to mention the ones playing overseas professionally.

maynard g krebs
06-02-2018, 02:31 PM
I've been under the impression that AAU is for players who still have high school eligibility left, and are there to be seen by college coaches v top competition. Once they've signed, there's no point in playing AAU even if eligible.

Can anyone clarify?

MileHigh
06-02-2018, 02:43 PM
I've been under the impression that AAU is for players who still have high school eligibility left, and are there to be seen by college coaches v top competition. Once they've signed, there's no point in playing AAU even if eligible.

Can anyone clarify?

Correct. Once you are signed to a 4 year school you cannot play in any of the grassroots/aau tourneys around the country. To even play in a top level local mens league in ones home town, the league has to be certified by the NCAA or you will become ineligible (Drew league, Rucker league, etc)

Bogozags
06-02-2018, 04:57 PM
. . competing in AAU or other organized competition; OR on campus, conditioning, playing pickup games with present and past Zags, getting to know each other, and perhaps getting a jump on academics by taking one or two courses?

Are you talking about rising seniors or graduating seniors? Rising seniors are still in high school and don't believe they would give up their summer to go to GU and play Bball and don't think they can take any college classes unless they are in Gifted & Talented type programs...

Graduating seniors, who have signed to play at GU, don't play AAU Bball and unless they are playing for an U-18 or U-19 national team, they should be on campus and I think most spend their summer at GU playing/taking classes/getting acclimated to campus, etc.

hooter73
06-02-2018, 05:49 PM
Good point in the incoming versus exiting seniors. Incoming seniors, yes of course, go get some and hit some camps while you’re at it, out going and current players, stay the heck on campus - no national team stuff imo.

TravelinZag
06-03-2018, 04:08 PM
Agree with consensus: on campus! U-18 and U-19 offer benefits, but weak versus current obligations. Gel as potential national contenders rather than chase national team slots. If you’re that good, they’ll find you.