PDA

View Full Version : #4 In ESPN Way Too Early Top 25

Spike#1
05-31-2018, 11:46 AM
#4 In ESPN Way Too Early Top 25, article dated 5-31-18:

http://insider.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23653227/kansas-jayhawks-stay-no-1-villanova-wildcats-tumble-post-nba-draft-deadline-top-25

I have no idea how I viewed an inside article, as I do not pay for any subscriptions. Saw this article on Yahoo main page.

4. Gonzaga

Previous rank: No. 5

Mark Few knew what he had long before Wednesday's deadline after both Killian Tillie, who missed Gonzaga's Sweet 16 loss to Florida State with a hip injury, and Rui Hachimura, the versatile 6-foot-8 specimen, both announced their returns shortly after the season ended.

If Tillie stays healthy and makes 48 percent of his 3-pointers again, he'll find a spot in the NBA. And Hachimura is a jump shot away from a lucrative future as a pro. Zach Norvell Jr. (12.7 PPG) is a West Coast Conference Player of the Year candidate. Few will also have Brandon Clarke, who averaged 17.5 PPG for San Jose State in 2016-17.

This is one of the most athletic teams Few has had. Likely WCC champs? Yep. National title contender? Yep. You're not surprised. This is what the Zags do.

gu03alum
05-31-2018, 11:52 AM
#4 In ESPN Way Too Early Top 25, article dated 5-31-18:

http://insider.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23653227/kansas-jayhawks-stay-no-1-villanova-wildcats-tumble-post-nba-draft-deadline-top-25

I have no idea how I viewed an inside article, as I do not pay for any subscriptions. Saw this article on Yahoo main page.

4. Gonzaga

Previous rank: No. 5

Mark Few knew what he had long before Wednesday's deadline after both Killian Tillie, who missed Gonzaga's Sweet 16 loss to Florida State with a hip injury, and Rui Hachimura, the versatile 6-foot-8 specimen, both announced their returns shortly after the season ended.

If Tillie stays healthy and makes 48 percent of his 3-pointers again, he'll find a spot in the NBA. And Hachimura is a jump shot away from a lucrative future as a pro. Zach Norvell Jr. (12.7 PPG) is a West Coast Conference Player of the Year candidate. Few will also have Brandon Clarke, who averaged 17.5 PPG for San Jose State in 2016-17.

This is one of the most athletic teams Few has had. Likely WCC champs? Yep. National title contender? Yep. You're not surprised. This is what the Zags do.

This is exciting to read!

Vanzagger
05-31-2018, 12:22 PM
Loaded. Stop looking for transfers. Kispert, Ayayi, Jones, Wade, and Foster need to absorb any available minutes. If Reid falls in our lap then so be it but we don’t need him

Energy goes towards our guys. Building toughness, culture, Zag Mentality. Getting stops in March/April

zaguarxj
05-31-2018, 01:03 PM
Now we're really doomed, not just Bobzag fake "doomed."

Malastein
05-31-2018, 01:21 PM
Loaded. Stop looking for transfers. Kispert, Ayayi, Jones, Wade, and Foster need to absorb any available minutes. If Reid falls in our lap then so be it but we don’t need him.

They should always be looking for ways to improve the team if there’s an open schollie. I trust the staff fully with however they are actually approaching this since I doubt the conjecture on the board is accurate to what the staff is actually doing outside of the very obvious.

Goshzagit
05-31-2018, 01:43 PM
amazing how much is riding on Perkins' shoulder this season.

labrum repairs can take 4-5 months, or up to 12 months, depending on severity and recovery process.

Josh is a high lvl athlete, and will likely be healthy enough to play at 6 months, yet his full range of motion, full strength, and full flexibility often take much longer no matter who it is...

its his shooting arm/shoulder as well.

The other PG's in line haven't played a single meaningful minute at D1 level. The Staff and Orthopedic team are planning for an incredibly speedy recovery to be 100% by November, but more likely he won't feel fully healed until 2019. Just in my daily experience with said injury/surgery.

gonzagafan62
05-31-2018, 01:51 PM

labrum repairs can take 4-5 months, or up to 12 months, depending on severity and recovery process.

Josh is a high lvl athlete, and will likely be healthy enough to play at 6 months, yet his full range of motion, full strength, and full flexibility often take much longer no matter who it is...

The other PG's in line haven't played a single meaningful minute at D1 level. The Staff and Orthopedic team are planning for an incredibly speedy recovery to be 100% by November, but more likely he won't feel fully healed until 2019. Just in my daily experience with said injury/surgery.

He’ll be fine. He said he’ll be ready for the season. I believe him. Karnowski got his back straight, and we have had several offseason injury concerns including NWG and plenty of old time ones I can’t remember too. Sacre and his knee... gosh plenty of them. We have some of the best medical staff. He’ll be fine

That being said, regardless of his health I’m not seeing national title contenders. Jmo.

zagsfanforlife
05-31-2018, 02:17 PM
Heíll be fine. He said heíll be ready for the season. I believe him. Karnowski got his back straight, and we have had several offseason injury concerns including NWG and plenty of old time ones I canít remember too. Sacre and his knee... gosh plenty of them. We have some of the best medical staff. Heíll be fine

That being said, regardless of his health Iím not seeing national title contenders. Jmo.

In all honesty I think Nevada looks better on paper. I think we are Title Contenders with about 5 or 6 others, but i would take Tennessee, Nevada, Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas's rosters over ours right now.

thespywhozaggedme
05-31-2018, 02:49 PM
In all honesty I think Nevada looks better on paper. I think we are Title Contenders with about 5 or 6 others, but i would take Tennessee, Nevada, Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas's rosters over ours right now.

Nevada and Tennessee I'll give you, but who are the proven players on the other three rosters?

zagsfanforlife
05-31-2018, 03:00 PM
Nevada and Tennessee I'll give you, but who are the proven players on the other three rosters?

Im with you Spy--- I like Nevada and Tenn over the other 3. Kansas is pretty loaded though. Azuibuke is a legit center, the lawson twins were studs at memphis. Charlie Moore was a stud at Cal. (3) 5 star freshman.

Kentucky has a few pros back and Reid travis in waiting.. plus 2nd highest rated recruiting class.

Duke has the three top rated freshmen in all cbb and three people projected as immediate lottery picks.. doesnt mean everything but the old adage is "the team with the most pros goes the farthest"

A lot of "predicting" based on 18-19 yr old, so i could see GU finishing ahead of both UK and Duke based on more experience and ahead of KU based on self not being able to coach in the tourney.....

raise the zag
05-31-2018, 03:40 PM
Personally, I feel Nevada should be the pre-season #1 after the return of the early enrollees (depending on IF Reid Travis joins BBN).

Nevada is the most proven, coming off a S16 season, the Martin Twins return, as does most of their lineup, and literally add an embarrassment of riches in 6 transfers who were mega- stars/#1 guys for their respective teams. A couple of their recent transfers averaged over 19 ppg!

Their least impressive transfer of the bunch might be former starting PG, Jazz Johnson of the Portland Pilots, who averaged 16 ppg, 3 apg, 42% 3pt. Gives you an idea how ridiculously deep, versatile, and one of the best shooting teams in the NCAA as well. Size, skill, proven, a few NBA prospects to boot.

Not to mention Top-10 5* Jordan Brown to the mix.

The Wolfpack could very well be the last team standing in 2019.

zagsfanforlife
05-31-2018, 03:42 PM
Personally, I feel Nevada should be the pre-season #1 after the return of the early enrollees (depending on IF Reid Travis joins BBN).

Nevada is the most proven, coming off a S16 season, the Martin Twins return, as does most of their lineup, and literally add an embarrassment of riches in 6 transfers who were mega- stars/#1 guys for their respective teams. A couple of their recent transfers averaged over 19 ppg!

Their least impressive transfer of the bunch might be former starting PG, Jazz Johnson of the Portland Pilots, who averaged 16 ppg, 3 apg, 42% 3pt. Gives you an idea how ridiculously deep, versatile, and one of the best shooting teams in the NCAA as well. Size, skill, proven, a few NBA prospects to boot.

Agree completely with you.

raise the zag
05-31-2018, 03:44 PM
Agree completely with you.

in addition, they are healthy. Zags have two stars/starters coming off off-season surgery and/or injury.

MDABE80
05-31-2018, 04:41 PM
Well I'm sure Tillie's fine by now. I'm thinking Josh's should be fixed through a scope. Can't be THAT bad. I do know that when a torn labrum is fixed, you feel like you cold throw fastballs the next day. Maybe his recovery won't be a long one. Nobody's talking locally and they probably shouldn't be.

DixieZag
05-31-2018, 07:35 PM
They should always be looking for ways to improve the team if there’s an open schollie. I trust the staff fully with however they are actually approaching this since I doubt the conjecture on the board is accurate to what the staff is actually doing outside of the very obvious.

I hear you Mal. Agree with you always wanting to improve any way you can.

The board has some people with ears to the ground, though. There have been surprises through the years, but not too often. We have generally heard about things before they happen.

I take your point, though.

DixieZag
05-31-2018, 08:01 PM

Such a good post.

I don't know the healing process, perhaps a PT or MD here can help us some (you?). I wonder if it the type one plays through the pain of rehabbing it, or whether he has to be completely pain free to be free of risking re-injury.

I want the best for Josh and don't want him hurting, obviously. I just think there's a difference. If he still has some slight pain - well, we've seen him be a warrior before and play through it. At least early in the year, it would be nice to have him directing the cast, more so over scoring/driving, he need not do much more than provide leadership and calming presence. But if he can't even do that without risk, and isn't ready until Dec/Jan, that gets a little scary. Maybe we could try some of those 6'7 pgs, like Foster or even Kispert, see what happens.

Josh will be there if it's at all possible.

northsidezagfan
05-31-2018, 10:22 PM
Labrum should very rarely be more than 6 months for a young, high-level athlete. I’d expect Josh to be full strength well before November

MileHigh
06-01-2018, 05:33 AM
. I do know that when a torn labrum is fixed, you feel like you cold throw fastballs the next day. Maybe his recovery won't be a long one.

He is a month into rehab and definitely no fastballs. Another 5 months until he can start playing(full contact). Good thing is that once he is healed it will be first time in about 2 years that he will be able to extend right arm without pain.

jazzdelmar
06-01-2018, 06:50 AM
He is a month into rehab and definitely no fastballs. Another 5 months until he can start playing(full contact). Good thing is that once he is healed it will be first time in about 2 years that he will be able to extend right arm without pain.

You expect him 100% for Maui? I assume he's on the bike.

Coach Crazy
06-01-2018, 07:58 AM

That's crazy.

MileHigh
06-01-2018, 05:53 PM
You expect him 100% for Maui? I assume he's on the bike.

He gets out of the sling here in a few weeks and then will be able to do just about any type cardio he wants. Maui is about 6 1/2 months after the surgery and they say 6 months to recover so everyone is hopeful that he will be 100% by then

Zagdawg
06-01-2018, 06:51 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jun/01/gonzaga-among-title-favorites-climbs-preseason-pol/

Zagceo
06-03-2018, 11:28 AM
He gets out of the sling here in a few weeks and then will be able to do just about any type cardio he wants. Maui is about 6 1/2 months after the surgery and they say 6 months to recover so everyone is hopeful that he will be 100% by then

from mariner game..gotta be tough to sleep with sling

https://media.spokesman.com/photos/2018/06/02/1IMG_3730_t1140.jpg?abf36d44fcda22a1f7041162086f31 df6a374511

23dpg
06-03-2018, 12:21 PM
Been through this at an older age. Torn labrum and the sling. (You don’t wear the sling in bed).
The key will be how early into the injury they caught this. I’m a little worried that he’s had symptoms
for a while but it probably helps that he had access to trainers and pt the whole time.

Best of luck Josh!

soccerdud
06-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Been through this at an older age. Torn labrum and the sling. (You don’t wear the sling in bed).
The key will be how early into the injury they caught this. I’m a little worried that he’s had symptoms
for a while but it probably helps that he had access to trainers and pt the whole time.

Best of luck Josh!

in no way taking issues with what you're saying, but i sure hope that if all the experts and medical staff thought that waiting would be problematic, they wouldn't have.

23dpg
06-03-2018, 06:26 PM
in no way taking issues with what you're saying, but i sure hope that if all the experts and medical staff thought that waiting would be problematic, they wouldn't have.

I should have said “a key component could be”, not “the key”

BTW, I google your sig line a while back. Found an interesting literary debate.
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/169184/is-this-quote-from-robert-heinleins-writing-i-never-learned-from-a-man-who-ag?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa

DixieZag
06-03-2018, 07:07 PM

So, with your two quotes together, what you're saying is that, if everything goes perfect, we'll have a better PG than we could have hoped for, without any additions to the roster at all.

Good luck Josh. I cannot wait to see what you can do playing pain free. You certainly deserve to go out on your terms as a 5th year senior. May as well take them all the way.

soccerdud
06-03-2018, 08:24 PM
I should have said “a key component could be”, not “the key”

BTW, I google your sig line a while back. Found an interesting literary debate.
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/169184/is-this-quote-from-robert-heinleins-writing-i-never-learned-from-a-man-who-ag?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa

fair enough.

and hmmmm, woulda sworn it was in notebooks of lazarus long. thanks for letting me know :).

gonzagafan62
06-04-2018, 06:52 AM

The Wolfpack could very well be the last team standing in 2019.

#1???? Goodness thatís even crazier... Nevada couldnít even get past S16 lol

ZagMan in Philly
06-04-2018, 07:40 AM
I want to drink some of Andy's Zag Koolaid

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-06-04/andy-katzs-power-36-look-ahead-2018-19-season-post-nba-draft

strikenowhere
06-04-2018, 07:58 AM

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-06-04/andy-katzs-power-36-look-ahead-2018-19-season-post-nba-draft

The koolaid makes for great summer refreshment!

thespywhozaggedme
06-04-2018, 08:35 AM

What's stopping you? He, like others before him made a compelling case for us.

SLOZag
06-04-2018, 12:30 PM

"1. Gonzaga: Experience matters. You will hear that phrase often. Sure, Duke and Kentucky may have the most talented rosters, but just look at the last few Final Fours and national title games – experienced teams have been playing for and have won the championship. No team survived the early-entry NBA draft process better than the Zags. They didn’t even have to sweat it since Rui Hachimura, Killian Tillie and Zach Norvell all didn’t bother putting their names in for consideration, even though all three would've and could've pushed the deadline with a tough decision. Josh Perkins is the leader at the point and Brandon Clarke is getting rave reviews from the staff. Let’s just hope Gonzaga and Duke play each other in the semifinal or final of the Maui Invitational for a possible Final Four preview."

TexasZagFan
06-04-2018, 12:35 PM

And I’m expecting a quantum leap forward by Rui this year.

ZagMan in Philly
06-04-2018, 03:53 PM

I need some of his Koolaid now, after reading through it twice!!!

thespywhozaggedme
06-04-2018, 04:32 PM
I need some of his Koolaid now, after reading through it twice!!!

That's what I'm talking about!

MDABE80
06-04-2018, 04:58 PM
The Final Four taste never leaves. I think we'll be there again if Josh gets his shoulder better and if Clarke is everything I think he is. We need another guard but not as a front liner.
As good as Wright is as a coach, it's hard to count Nova out. Some guys just know how to put it together even with less talent. From Maui on it's going to be a wild season. Unless we have some serious injuries, I think we'll be there in the end.