PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Tyler RIP

Zag3377
05-31-2018, 08:19 AM
Sadly I learned that Kenny Tyler passed recently due to a brain tumor. For those who knew him or saw him play, all would agree he was a top five guard at GU. Kenny was an JC all American in LA. He was then all conference at Gonzaga where he played in73-4 and 74-75. He set the assist record at the time. 6-3, fast and Just a great basketball player. He made everyone around him better. But more than that, he was a great teammate. He was always encouraging and supportive. Personally, he was my favorite teammate for all the teams I played on (HS, college, and 15 yrs of high level rec leagues). Kenny played professionally abroad and is a playground legend in LA (no small feat). God bless.
Reed Schifferman 77

Coach Crazy
05-31-2018, 08:23 AM
Sadly I learned that Kenny Tyler passed recently due to a brain tumor. For those who knew him or saw him play, all would agree he was a top five guard at GU. Kenny was an JC all American in LA. He was then all conference at Gonzaga where he played in73-4 and 74-75. He set the assist record at the time. 6-3, fast and Just a great basketball player. He made everyone around him better. But more than that, he was a great teammate. He was always encouraging and supportive. Personally, he was my favorite teammate for all the teams I played on (HS, college, and 15 yrs of high level rec leagues). Kenny played professionally abroad and is a playground legend in LA (no small feat). God bless.
Reed Schifferman ‘77

Bump. Respect for a fallen GU player/alum.

GoZags
05-31-2018, 08:28 AM
Absolutely horrible news. The only thing sweeter than Kenny Tyler’s game was his smile and ability to
make those around him feel good. A calm, sweet demeanor. Rest In Peace Kenny. It’s been over 40 years since I’d talked to him but this has still hit hard.
Reed Schifferman ‘77

Angelo Roncalli
05-31-2018, 08:32 AM
This hurts. KT was a great player and a sweet guy. He was also a heck of a softball player. He was Gonzaga's Walt Frazier.

TexasZagFan
05-31-2018, 12:45 PM
Absolutely horrible news. The only thing sweeter than Kenny Tyler’s game was his smile and ability to
make those around him feel good. A calm, sweet demeanor. Rest In Peace Kenny. It’s been over 40 years since I’d talked to him but this has still hit hard.

This news completely ruins my day. KT was an exceptionally personable and friendly guy. Classy on and off the court...never showed up an opponent, even though he had plenty of opportunity due to his abundant talent.

It was an honor to know him.

Vanzagger
05-31-2018, 01:35 PM
Thanks Zag3377. It is always nice to honor the Zags History and hear such nice anecdotes.

thebigsmoove
06-01-2018, 04:40 AM
RIP KT.

Anyone know if the family needs anything?

77Zag
06-01-2018, 07:21 AM
Sadly, thanks for the news. Kenny was an absolute great guy and one hell of a player. He was certainly an outstanding player and could ball with the best of them. As stated by GoZags, his smile, demeanor and kindness impacted all of us who knew him.

RIP Kenny Tyler -- you will be missed.

Zag forever in our hearts.

Go Zags!