PDA

View Full Version : Best in the West?

zagsfanforlife
05-31-2018, 06:45 AM
Next year should be a very exciting college basketball season for numerous reasons--- one being that the two best teams in the West should be outside the power five conferences. Thats right--- Nevada Reno and Gonzaga.. two top 5 teams (easily top 10) to start the season.

If you are looking objectively at both rosters, who would you say right now is the best in the west?

Gonzaga--- two potential first round picks, three starters returning from a sweet 16 team, top 100 recruit coming in, developing RUI, 4 year starting pg, Mark Few as coach, more experience...

Nevada-- 4 starters from sweet 16 team, 1 starting pg returning from achilles injury, mcdonalds all american coming in, 6 transfers who each averaged over 13 ppg becoming immediately eligible, less experience, Musselman as coach

Have at it. How do these two teams compare? Wish the Zags were playing them non conference.

caldwellzag
05-31-2018, 06:51 AM
I really hope the selection committe is willing to give both us and Nevada a number 1 seed, as I can see both these teams with 30 plus wins. I would like to see how Nevada is going to work out their scholarship issue, as now they have 15 scholarship players with only 13 open spots.

I still will take the Zags, only at minus 0.5. These teams are close, our leadership puts us over the top, but barely. Can't wait to see this game if it happens (most likely in the final four or elite 8).

willandi
05-31-2018, 07:05 AM
I really hope the selection committe is willing to give both us and Nevada a number 1 seed, as I can see both these teams with 30 plus wins. I would like to see how Nevada is going to work out their scholarship issue, as now they have 15 scholarship players with only 13 open spots.

I still will take the Zags, only at minus 0.5. These teams are close, our leadership puts us over the top, but barely. Can't wait to see this game if it happens (most likely in the final four or elite 8).

That is where it should be, but I can easily see the committee trying to get it into a SS if they can't make it a round of 32. They don't want those pesky small conference schools upsetting the precious bluebloods.

zagamatic
05-31-2018, 09:58 AM
I can almost guarantee that if we don't play each other during the regular season that the committee will put us in the same bracket. The possibility of 2 small schools west of the Mississippi making up half of the final 4 would be a ratings chance they won't take

caldwellzag
05-31-2018, 10:05 AM
I can almost guarantee that if we don't play each other during the regular season that the committee will put us in the same bracket. The possibility of 2 small schools west of the Mississippi making up half of the final 4 would be a ratings chance they won't take

Completely agree. Just sucks! Let's get them schedule during the regular season!

DixieZag
05-31-2018, 06:57 PM

I fear both of you are being far too realistic and way too close to being exactly right.

MDABE80
05-31-2018, 08:05 PM
I suspect that even with all those scorers
And goodnplayers, they only canfit 5 at a time on the court. 3 subs too.i think our 5 guys with 3-4 subs can handle anyone in the country. Zags by 5 anywhere.

thebigsmoove
06-01-2018, 04:32 AM
We will be the #1 seed in the West, UNR will be the #2 seed in the west, we will meet in the Elite 8. I am really looking forward to that matchup. Revenge game.

Zagceo
06-01-2018, 06:25 AM
We will be the #1 seed in the West, UNR will be the #2 seed in the west, we will meet in the Elite 8. I am really looking forward to that matchup. Revenge game.

make Nevada #1 in the South and we meet in Minnesota for Natty...bigger revenge game

ZagsGoZags
06-01-2018, 06:48 PM
I am as much a zag fanatic as anybody,
but I see a lot of counting chickens before they hatch,
we have ratings, athleticism, experience, great coaching,
but we still have to execute, and I not willing to assume
we are in the Final Four until we are there.

IowaSERE
06-02-2018, 07:34 AM
Just about every year the Zags total losses equal their seed. Its normally within one or 2 spots. I just don't see us getting through this schedule without 3 or 4 losses.

maynard g krebs
06-02-2018, 02:20 PM
Just about every year the Zags total losses equal their seed. Its normally within one or 2 spots. I just don't see us getting through this schedule without 3 or 4 losses.

That's true, but this is a tougher schedule, which should allow for a seed number below the loss total.

IowaSERE
06-02-2018, 03:04 PM
That's true, but this is a tougher schedule, which should allow for a seed number below the loss total.

Lets say we lose 3 games (Duke, Tenn, and AZ) and sweep the WCC. Do you really think we would be a one or 2 seed? That would only leave us with 5 or 6 quality wins.

Zagger
06-05-2018, 04:46 AM
Yikes! June has just started .... November's a long way off. #1 seed, #2 seed .... dang, I just planted garden seeds. Pumpkins will be mostly smashed Halloween remains by the time things get rolling in college BB.

I will say the Zags are Best in the West though :)

willandi
06-05-2018, 05:21 AM

Lets say we lose 3 games (Duke, Tenn, and AZ) and sweep the WCC. Do you really think we would be a one or 2 seed? That would only leave us with 5 or 6 quality wins.

Let's say we sweep the OCC and lose to SMC and BYU in conference and lose the WCC tourney Championship game.

Should the Zags be a 3 seed or worse?

Zagdawg
06-05-2018, 05:49 AM
Those losses would take a heavy impact on our ranking as both teams are not going to be ranked and our good wins would have occurred early in the year-- I am leaning towards "worse" than a 3 seed if that situation plays out.

thespywhozaggedme
06-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Let's say we sweep the OCC and lose to SMC and BYU in conference and lose the WCC tourney Championship game.

We will not lose a conference game this year. And we will win every single one of them by at least 8 to 10 points. It's unbelievable how many of our fans just do not realize how loaded this team is.

thespywhozaggedme
06-05-2018, 08:39 AM

Arizona???? Seriously? They will be lucky to make it to the NIT this year. We as fans have to stop being enamored with the name on the front of the jersey and look at the talent, or lack there off inside of it. Arizona is the definition of rebuilding. We have three players on our team that can go for 20+ points every single night and Josh and Brandon can go for 15+. This team is loaded!

IowaSERE
06-05-2018, 08:58 AM

3 seed would be the best case scenario I would think. I would have to imagine that in order for that to happen, there would have been a significant injury(s) and the comity would penalize the Zags.