2018–19 Schedule: Someone Have a Good Update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TravelinZag
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2012

2018–19 Schedule: Someone Have a Good Update?

How many open dates are left?

When does the WCC announce its schedule? Do the coaches know the dates free due to the two games Zags won’t play this year?

When do major conferences unveil. Remember a few years ago when Zags wanted to host a mini tourney to honor Jud Heathcoat. That was scuttled when the former Big 10 couldn’t get its act together, then scheduled the Spartans to preclude their participation. Very disappointing to have four willing coaches rolled over by administrators. How many ADs armed with staff, computer models, and calendars does it take to determine a league schedule?

Probably need to establish a couple of league vs league series to help schedulers? Big East and/or PAC12 vs WCC? Perhaps a national tourney of Jesuit universities? Or selected from previous year’s sweet sixteen? Other ideas?

To be skeptical, any signs of major conferences trying to “freeze out” mid-majors from getting good pre-season games?

The 800 pound animal in the room no one wishes to talk about is weather most of the teams in the bottom sixteen conferences should be reclassified, somewhat like the NAIA for football.

What do we know? As scheduling gets more challenging, what would help?

And, most parochial, where are the Zags left for next season?

Ardent fans should be able to give us some answers, some good ideas and some better questions I didn’t think of. Thanks for your knowledge and insight.
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

1) Maui Game 1
    2) Maui Game 2
    3) Maui Game 3 (could possibly face two top 10 teams in Auburn and Duke)
    4) at Creighton
    5) at North Carolina (top 10 team)
    6) Tennessee (at PHX - top 10 team)
    7) Denver
    8) Texas A&M
    9) Washington
    10)
    11)
    12)
    13)
    14)
    15)

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
      Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
      1) Maui Game 1
      2) Maui Game 2
      3) Maui Game 3 (could possibly face two top 10 teams in Auburn and Duke)
      4) at Creighton
      5) at North Carolina (top 10 team)
      6) Tennessee (at PHX - top 10 team)
      7) Denver
      8) Texas A&M
      9) Washington
      10)
      11)
      12)
      13)
      14)
      15)
      Potentially Gonzaga's most impressive non-conf schedule.....EVERRRRRRRRR??
      Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• gonzagafan62
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
        Win the games in Maui play duke and yes easily imo
        Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• caldwellzag
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2018

I sure hope we get Duke in Maui, early in the year that young core will still be working out the kinks, if we can knock them off that will be a HUGE win for us!

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
            Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
            Win the games in Maui play duke and yes easily imo
            Man....I've wanted to beat Duke for SO long. SOOOO long...
            Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• thebigsmoove
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TravelinZag View Post
              The 800 pound animal in the room no one wishes to talk about is weather most of the teams in the bottom sixteen conferences should be reclassified, somewhat like the NAIA for football.
              What?

Comment

• bdmiller7
                Zag for Life
                • Jun 2017

I think he was talking about football, FCS and FBS. NAIA is completely different.

Comment

• TravelinZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by thebigsmoove View Post
                  What?
                  See post below. Never mind, the detailed response I drafted just “disappeared”. Compare the records of teams with RPIs of below 150 with losing records who got bids by winning their conference tournaments. You’ll see the farcically uncompetitive way college basketball is operated. But that won’t change because the NCAA, which makes more money on the NCAA basketball tournament than anything else (having lost control of football postseason play to the major conferences) seems to believe no one sees what is happening. Fair competition is sacrificed to dollars and control. Perhaps a better subject for a separate thread, but I won’t waste the time.
                  Last edited by TravelinZag; 05-29-2018, 12:36 PM. Reason: Explained above

Comment

• Bogozags
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2008

Agree completely!

I understand it took GU "YEARS" to be able to obtain the respect of the "big boys" and it is just too bad that SMC, which has had several good teams over the past few years, doesn't attempt to go the "GU Route" and play anyone any where...if they would, it would certainly improve both of our PRI's as well as the conferences too

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

I've heard from one source that Texas A&M is supposed to be a run of the mill BCS team this year. Good chance they won't make the NCAA's.

On a semi-related subject, this site claims that Gonzaga/Arizona will be starting up another home and home not this season but the next one:

The following table represents a preliminary look into the future Gonzaga basketball schedules for the 2020-21 season and beyond. See more Future and Past Gonzaga Schedules Special Notes: All times…

Dec 14, 2019 at Arizona

Comment

• raise the zag
                        Zag for Life
                        • May 2011

What I'm curious about...

When will they announce the Maui bracket?

A good chance we play #1 Duke, and Top 10 Auburn, not to mention a slew of other potential Top 25 teams in Hawaii i.e. Arizona. Xavier is ranked Top 25 in 4 preseason polls as well. Michigan (National Runner up), Wichita St, & SDSU are the 'other' currently unranked teams in the field.

Also, Tennessee isn't only Top 10, they are likely Top 5, and should do well in SEC.

Tennessee a Title Contender next season.

We know who UNC is...

Washington returns 4 of 5 starters next season, and were on a roll towards the end of the year, I suspect they will be ranked as well.

Texas A&M and Creighton are solid teams who could sneak in the NCAA, even if they do not, both Tourney teams last season...

From top to bottom, depending how Maui plays out, easily our toughest OOC schedule in history.

Potentially 4 Top 10 teams in Nov & Dec, and 2 of those are guaranteed.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

I've heard from one source that Texas A&M is supposed to be a run of the mill BCS team this year. Good chance they won't make the NCAA's.

On a semi-related subject, this site claims that Gonzaga/Arizona will be starting up another home and home not this season but the next one:

The following table represents a preliminary look into the future Gonzaga basketball schedules for the 2020-21 season and beyond. See more Future and Past Gonzaga Schedules Special Notes: All times…

Dec 14, 2019 at Arizona
                          Plenty of "run of the mill" BCS teams land in the NCAA tournament. A&M won't be the powerhouse they were last year, but they are sure to be competitive this year.

Comment

• strikenowhere
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2009

Man....I've wanted to beat Duke for SO long. SOOOO long...
                            100%...I simply cannot stand Duke and their smug fans.

Comment

• thebigsmoove
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

Dec 14, 2019 at Arizona
                              Yeah im pretty sure that home and home is correct. Zags Guru does a good job of keeping up with all of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X