PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Clarke, one of 15 impact transfers

thespywhozaggedme
05-26-2018, 10:58 AM
I didn't see this posted anywhere, if it was, my apologies:

Brandon Clarke, Gonzaga Bulldogs
Previous team: San Jose State
If all goes according to plan, Clarke could slide in alongside Rui Hachimura and Killian Tillie to form the latest in a long line of strong Gonzaga front lines. The 6-8 forward turned heads with a breakout sophomore season at San Jose State in 2016-17, one in which he led the Spartans in scoring, crashed the glass, blocked shots and even dished assists.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23584806/how-college-basketball-free-agency-shaping-up

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-26-2018, 11:09 AM
I didn’t realize that the Gaels were losing this guy.

Evan Fitzner, Indiana Hoosiers
Previous team: Saint Mary's
A two-year starter in Moraga, Fitzner chose to go the graduate transfer route for his final season after being relegated to a reserve role for most of 2017-18. At 6-10, he's a career 41 percent 3-point shooter (with an average of about three attempts per game) who holds his own on the defensive glass.

thespywhozaggedme
05-26-2018, 11:13 AM

yeah, I posted about him in the transfer thread.

GoZags
05-26-2018, 03:55 PM

I didn't realize it either (as I don't read every post in every thread on this board ... and also I wouldn't have seen it as I didn't open the link ... so thanks for bringing it up).

DixieZag
05-27-2018, 06:29 AM
It will be very hard to replace JWIII, yet we might have the perfect guy to do it. Not quite as tall, but maybe a little different game. We might be underestimating what he brings in all our excitement about Tillie and Rui.

Reborn
05-27-2018, 08:07 AM
It will be very hard to replace JWIII, yet we might have the perfect guy to do it. Not quite as tall, but maybe a little different game. We might be underestimating what he brings in all our excitement about Tillie and Rui.

I am one fan who does not underestimate Cook. I remember when he signed with us, and watched his videos. I'm going to really enjoy watching him play.

tummydoc
05-27-2018, 08:42 AM
Cook???

thespywhozaggedme
05-27-2018, 09:16 AM
I am one fan who does not underestimate Cook. I remember when he signed with us, and watched his videos. I'm going to really enjoy watching him play.

Cook, Rivet....someone needs some ginkgo biloba. LOL

MDABE80
05-27-2018, 09:19 AM
I think Reborn means Clarke. Glad he's coming. Skilled frontline. It not a big one. I hope Larsen and Petrusev are ready . I'm thinking we'll need both at times.

thespywhozaggedme
05-27-2018, 09:59 AM
I think Reborn means Clarke. Glad he's coming. Skilled frontline. It not a big one. I hope Larsen and Petrusev are ready . I'm thinking we'll need both at times.

I've only seen Petrusev play two games, but he is very skilled and talented. My only concern is that he seems a little like Tillie in the fact that he can turn it off and on, a constant high energy motor would benefit him greatly. But a front line of Tillie, Clarke, Larsen and Petrusev has a chance to be the best frontline in the nation next year.

Reborn
05-27-2018, 11:09 AM

Thanks MDAbe. I appreciate your sympathy for the aged. some of these guys have no pity and are just waiting for me to make a mistake so they can try to hurt my feelings. bus as you know I could punch back at these junior high kids but I've given up on these "fake" fans a long time ago. I don't mind them being here, or trying to act so touch and arrogant, because everyone knows what they really are.

thespywhozaggedme
05-27-2018, 12:16 PM
Thanks MDAbe. I appreciate your sympathy for the aged. some of these guys have no pity and are just waiting for me to make a mistake so they can try to hurt my feelings. bus as you know I could punch back at these junior high kids but I've given up on these "fake" fans a long time ago. I don't mind them being here, or trying to act so touch and arrogant, because everyone knows what they really are.

I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings, I was just giving you some good-natured ribbing. I like to laugh at myself and I make the false assumption that others do as well, and my wife scolds me about that often. I apologize for not being sensitive enough. We're all in this together as Zag fans. As for the rest of your post I honestly didn't understand a word of it.

MDABE80
05-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Spy..a word.: not every post from others deserves/requires a comment. Sometimes it's best to smile and leave your hands folded on the desk. Best wishes.

DixieZag
05-27-2018, 12:53 PM
For those who have seen him play, is he an "above the rim" guy like Rui and Tillie? IOW - Hops?

bdmiller7
05-27-2018, 01:06 PM
For those who have seen him play, is he an "above the rim" guy like Rui and Tillie? IOW - Hops?

Didn't he win the dunk contest at Kraziness this year? I think he could have the most hops on the team.

jazzdelmar
05-27-2018, 01:15 PM
Spy..a word.: not every post from others deserves/requires a comment. Sometimes it's best to smile and leave your hands folded on the desk. Best wishes.

And leave the sardonic humor to those of us here from that big city with the very tall buildings.

thespywhozaggedme
05-27-2018, 01:27 PM

Agreed, but if I hurt someone unintentionally, I feel that I should make amends. The rest of reborns post was a bit.....disjointed

ZagNative
05-27-2018, 01:32 PM
Thanks MDAbe. I appreciate your sympathy for the aged. some of these guys have no pity and are just waiting for me to make a mistake so they can try to hurt my feelings. bus as you know I could punch back at these junior high kids but I've given up on these "fake" fans a long time ago. I don't mind them being here, or trying to act so touch and arrogant, because everyone knows what they really are.That right there is a priceless post. I need to copy it and save it somewhere for future use.

cggonzaga
05-27-2018, 01:41 PM
70 is the new 50....and 40 is the new 12.....

Or 70 is the new 12. Thought the greatest generation was a little tougher skinned (and I’m certainly not in the habit of defending spy)

MDABE80
05-27-2018, 01:53 PM
Since we're in memorial day, That one generation Bart mentions will never be replaced. Nothing like those people....and never will be. They did so many things to save the country and build this nation, we owe them everything. As I age and know more, I am just shocked at what that group did for us.

bartruff1
05-27-2018, 02:37 PM
Yes...constantly sniveling and whining and pouting....unlike Master Clarke who is going to take names and kick ass.....

DixieZag
05-27-2018, 04:15 PM
Didn't he win the dunk contest at Kraziness this year? I think he could have the most hops on the team.

So, to get this topic back onto Clarke (thanks) - one would think that if he did win the dunk contest he's going to be ok athletically, "up there."

I ask bc the biggest thing we need to replace on the frontline is JWIII and his defense/rebounding/put backs; as I've said before, I loved how badass JWIII would slam it home from underneath.

thespywhozaggedme
05-27-2018, 05:28 PM
So, to get this topic back onto Clarke (thanks) - one would think that if he did win the dunk contest he's going to be ok athletically, "up there."

I ask bc the biggest thing we need to replace on the frontline is JWIII and his defense/rebounding/put backs; as I've said before, I loved how badass JWIII would slam it home from underneath.

Clarke is better than JWIII

DixieZag
05-27-2018, 06:48 PM

I believe JWIII more than earned the right to have to have someone (anyone) prove it before it be declared by fiat. JWIII was one special Zag.

I say that as someone hoping he is, or can be, but until we see it, doesn't seem right to say it by decree.

cggonzaga
05-27-2018, 06:59 PM
I believe JWIII more than earned the right to have to have someone (anyone) prove it before it be declared by fiat. JWIII was one special Zag.

I say that as someone hoping he is, or can be, but until we see it, doesn't seem right to say it by decree.

Thanks Dixie. Spy generally leans towards the outrageous.

I will say Clarke is a top 3 Gonzaga leaper. Guy gets up high and easily.

Bogozags
05-27-2018, 07:06 PM

I think the jury is still out on that call; however, it will be interesting to watch him excel this season and hopefully he is a better FT shooter...

thespywhozaggedme
05-27-2018, 08:39 PM
Thanks Dixie. Spy generally leans towards the outrageous.

I will say Clarke is a top 3 Gonzaga leaper. Guy gets up high and easily.

How is that "outrageous"? Debatable, I will giver you, but "outrageous"?

NotoriousZ
05-28-2018, 07:16 AM
Weren’t there some rumblings about Clarke being the best big man in the practices, ala KO in his red shirt year? It could have just been a rumor started on this board, but after seeing him at the Kraziness, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was true.

Coach Crazy
05-28-2018, 07:20 AM
Weren’t there some rumblings about Clarke being the best big man in the practices, ala KO in his red shirt year? It could have just been a rumor started on this board, but after seeing him at the Kraziness, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was true.

I would like to know the details of that designation, because he isn't a super muscular/big forward. If he's put on some muscle and strength, and was out-doing J3 in practice, he could be in line for a very big year, including some ways that some of us might not have expected.

2wiceright
05-28-2018, 10:22 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cggonzaga
05-28-2018, 11:18 AM

More in response to your overall collection of statements. Every new player is the best ever. Every recruit is unbelievable. Etc etc etc

thespywhozaggedme
05-28-2018, 01:16 PM
More in response to your overall collection of statements. Every new player is the best ever. Every recruit is unbelievable. Etc etc etc

Oh OK, fair enough. Yes I usually make outrageous statements but Brandon Clarke being better than JW3 is the rare instance where I did not.

bartruff1
05-28-2018, 01:41 PM
The difference between outrageous and debatable is that outrageous is not debatable....:confused:

cggonzaga
05-28-2018, 02:07 PM
Oh OK, fair enough. Yes I usually make outrageous statements but Brandon Clarke being better than JW3 is the rare instance where I did not.

We’ll see. I’m afraid some seriously undervalued JWIII. The guy was about as consistent a high level player we’ve had.

TexasZagFan
05-28-2018, 02:36 PM
We’ll see. I’m afraid some seriously undervalued JWIII. The guy was about as consistent a high level player we’ve had.

Let's not forget that J3 was the MOP in the West Regional in 2017, before we anoint Brandon as the next GOAT.

thespywhozaggedme
05-28-2018, 03:36 PM

I think you're actually over valuing him. As awesome as he was, he was like a deer in headlights when he was doubled and he was a bit robotic and stiff when stuck under the rim and his free throw shooting was utterly atrocious, so much so that Few began to sub him out at enfd of game situations so team wouldn't employ "Hack a III". . He was awesome and I loved his heart, hustle and demeanor, but I think you're creating an image of him in your mind that doesn't match reality and that doesn't mean that Clarke won't be better.

MickMick
05-28-2018, 03:53 PM
Prediction:

Clarke will be regarded as the most productive and valuable player on the team. WCC Newcomer of the Year and all WCC.

Reborn
05-28-2018, 04:35 PM
I can't really say who is better. I haven't seen Cook, I mean Clarke play enough. I've seen JWIII a lot and he was one of the greatest power forwards who ever played at Gonzaga. He was a big part of helping the Zags reach the Final Four and then the National Championship game. To me, JWIII was one of the toughest Zags ever, and there have been a lot of them. And he had a beautiful hook shot. And yes, MVP of the West Regional in 2017. I would have loved to see how far last year's team could of have gone if Tillie had not gotten hurt and had to sit out against Florida St.

Yes! This is a thread about Clarke, so I'll focus on that now. He's very good. He was MVP, in the conference he played in, his Sophomore year. That's a great thing to have on your resume. My impressions of him when I watched a few of his videos is that he's really athletic. And yes, he can jump, and can dunk with great passion. Not a good outside shooter. A winner. Sounds like JWIII doesn't it. I am really excited, and can hardly wait to watch him play in a Zag uniform. I don't think we could have asked for a better player to fill the hole that JWII left when he graduated.

thespywhozaggedme
05-28-2018, 04:43 PM
I can't really say who is better. I haven't seen Cook, I mean Clarke play enough. I've seen JWIII a lot and he was one of the greatest power forwards who ever played at Gonzaga. He was a big part of helping the Zags reach the Final Four and then the National Championship game. To me, JWIII was one of the toughest Zags ever, and there have been a lot of them. And he had a beautiful hook shot. And yes, MVP of the West Regional in 2017. I would have loved to see how far last year's team could of have gone if Tillie had not gotten hurt and had to sit out against Florida St.

Yes! This is a thread about Clarke, so I'll focus on that now. He's very good. He was MVP, in the conference he played in, his Sophomore year. That's a great thing to have on your resume. My impressions of him when I watched a few of his videos is that he's really athletic. And yes, he can jump, and can dunk with great passion. Not a good outside shooter. A winner. Sounds like JWIII doesn't it. I am really excited, and can hardly wait to watch him play in a Zag uniform. I don't think we could have asked for a better player to fill the hole that JWII left when he graduated.

Good post. JWIII will go down as one of the greats in Zags history. Small correction, Clarke was first team all MWC not the MVP.

cggonzaga
05-28-2018, 08:55 PM
I think you're actually over valuing him. As awesome as he was, he was like a deer in headlights when he was doubled and he was a bit robotic and stiff when stuck under the rim and his free throw shooting was utterly atrocious, so much so that Few began to sub him out at enfd of game situations so team wouldn't employ "Hack a III". . He was awesome and I loved his heart, hustle and demeanor, but I think you're creating an image of him in your mind that doesn't match reality and that doesn't mean that Clarke won't be better.

Never said Clarke wouldn’t be better, just said JWIII seems to be highly undervalued. Until I see Clarke play a meaningful game at GU I’ll refrain from anointing him the next great Zag. It’s easy to make those kinds of claims because if you actually get it right you think you’re a genius. If you’re wrong nobody cares.

In all honesty spy, have you seen him play a full game? More than one full game?

cggonzaga
05-28-2018, 09:04 PM
Prediction:

Clarke will be regarded as the most productive and valuable player on the team. WCC Newcomer of the Year and all WCC.

The second sentence is possible. If he surpasses Perkins, Norvell, Rui and even Tillie, I’ll be shocked.

hooter73
05-28-2018, 09:07 PM

JIII was friggin strong in heart body and mind but I’m with spy on this one.

cggonzaga
05-28-2018, 09:54 PM
Is reading comprehension not a thing anymore? Or is it people just don’t take the time and jump to their own conclusions? Go back and read what I wrote and then decide if your comments match up with mine. Nowhere did I say he wouldn’t be better. I said we’ll see. I then say JWIII is being undervalued as a Zag. Nothing more, nothing less. You comment with how I’m overvaluing him. What is it I’m overvaluing when I never said what it was I was valuing in the first place?!

You ask any coach or teammate that has played with JWIII to name one player they’d go to war with and Mr. Williams will be the response 10 out of 10 times. He always showed up no matter if he was hurt (played his sophomore season at Missouri with a partially torn meniscus and still led team in ppg and rpg) or tired (he started all but 1 game in his collegiate career) and gave 110% effort. We haven’t even touched on his talent. He was a terrific low post defender despite being undersized. He also averaged 12ppg and 7.3rpg while shooting 58% from the field during his GU career. When another player comes along and wins 69 games in 2 years at Gonzaga and plays in a national championship and sweet 16 then we can talk. Did he have weaknesses? Of course but which player doesn’t? Clarke is a perfect player? Let’s have this conversation 2 years from now. I hope Clarke lives up to yours and others unreasonable expectations. Even if he doesn’t, I won’t denigrate his career here the second he’s gone.

MickMick
05-29-2018, 01:14 AM
The second sentence is possible. If he surpasses Perkins, Norvell, Rui and even Tillie, I’ll be shocked.

I guess it is possible that the fore mentioned players could be MVP of the MWC as a sophomore.

thespywhozaggedme
05-29-2018, 05:28 AM
Never said Clarke wouldn’t be better, just said JWIII seems to be highly undervalued. Until I see Clarke play a meaningful game at GU I’ll refrain from anointing him the next great Zag. It’s easy to make those kinds of claims because if you actually get it right you think you’re a genius. If you’re wrong nobody cares.

In all honesty spy, have you seen him play a full game? More than one full game?

I think that I've proven time and again with my absurd posts that a genius I will never be mistaken for. I think one of the things that's different about me (among a long list) is that I not could care less what people think about me as evidenced by the nonsense that I write. I'm just some anonymous, irrelevant dork on a message board, what i write has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on what takes place on the actual court; and I'm quite content with that.

Nope, I've never seen a full SJSU game with Clarke, just highlights, clips and stats and from those things I've concluded that Clarke is better than JWIII. I could be wrong though, don't really care.

cggonzaga
05-29-2018, 07:09 AM
Because that all makes sense...smh

I forget we live in a society now where people just say and do whatever they want without repercussions. Please continue on with the great work you do on this board spy.

bballbeachbum
05-29-2018, 08:36 AM
Intrigued to see how Clarke will fit, what defensive schemes Few and co. go to this year as the team again evolves. lots of adjustments last year with the personnel changes tho still with an emphasis on trying to take away catch and shoot 3s, especially after the Florida game

J3 was unique defensively, could guard on the ball all 5, perimeter and post, off the dribble, great help side defender too, point of attack rebounder or weakside, tough guy too, so much stuff. that's just defensively

With Clarke's tool kit, which is awesome but maybe a little different (what kind of perimeter defender is he? I don't know he's really been asked to prove it so much, but idk), psyched to see how Brandon fits and how Few and co. adjust things to his strengths so he can do his things and go off

cggonzaga
05-29-2018, 09:52 AM
I guess it is possible that the fore mentioned players could be MVP of the MWC as a sophomore.

Let me start by reiterating I'm very excited to have Clarke on the team. I think he will be very good and a big time contributor. That being said...

Clarke was not the MVP of the Mountain West Conference. He was first team all league his sophomore season averaging 17ppg and 8rpg. While that is very impressive, he did so on a 4-26 team. To say he was by far the best player on that team is an understatement. Norvell, Rui and Tillie all averaged double digit scoring on a top 10 nationally ranked team this past season as "sophomores". I think it's safe to say any one of them would've been the best player on that SJSU squad and most likely first team players in the conference as well.

caldwellzag
05-29-2018, 10:03 AM
Let me start by reiterating I'm very excited to have Clarke on the team. I think he will be very good and a big time contributor. That being said...

Clarke was not the MVP of the Mountain West Conference. He was first team all league his sophomore season averaging 17ppg and 8rpg. While that is very impressive, he did so on a 4-26 team. To say he was by far the best player on that team is an understatement. Norvell, Rui and Tillie all averaged double digit scoring on a top 10 nationally ranked team this past season as "sophomores". I think it's safe to say any one of them would've been the best player on that SJSU squad and most likely first team players in the conference as well.

I completely agree that our 3 sophomores would of done the same on SJSU. What I really like about BC is his defense, blocks (2.6 per game) and rebounds (8.9 per game) all day long. I saw him play when they played BSU he had 14 rebounds and 5 blocks, when they played BSU at SJSU he had 26 points (not great on the boards that game. I think he is going to be a great addition to an already solid team. I can't wait to see him play!

Not that is really matters, but SJSU was 4-26 last year and Brandon Clarke was already at Gonzaga, they had 14 wins his last year there.

sittingon50
05-29-2018, 10:27 AM

Didn't see any SJS games while Brandon was there cg, but have to imagine that he got his #'s despite getting more than his share of attention from the opponent's. Make's it a bit more impressive to me.

Coach Crazy
05-29-2018, 10:27 AM
I completely agree that our 3 sophomores would of done the same on SJSU. What I really like about BC is his defense, blocks (2.6 per game) and rebounds (8.9 per game) all day long. I saw him play when they played BSU he had 14 rebounds and 5 blocks, when they played BSU at SJSU he had 26 points (not great on the boards that game. I think he is going to be a great addition to an already solid team. I can't wait to see him play!

Not that is really matters, but SJSU was 4-26 last year and Brandon Clarke was already at Gonzaga, they had 14 wins his last year there.

He was nearly a 10 BPM player, and posted a 4.8 WS. The best player that SJSU had last year was Ryan Welage. Who had a .2 BPM and 3.2 WS. Not a perfect science, but I think we can see how good Brandon was and is, and how much weight he was pulling. Even the last year he played, there was only one other player in the positive, from a BPM perspective. And it was because of his defense. Only two other players were in the positive offensively, and both had less than 1.0 WS. Brandon both shined, and was a great leader/team player. Ideal Zag material. He would have been 4th or 5th in WS, and second in BPM. Mega efficient player.

And yes, I agree that his blocks are going to be a big part of our defense, especially given that they are likely to happen in space, and not just man on. And his ability to rebound out of position is killer.

MDABE80
05-29-2018, 11:45 AM
5.5 months to go. Will the board survive 5 more months of this back and forth?? Kinda gets personal/juvenile after a while. WE ALL on the same side. Something to remember.........

Coach Crazy
05-29-2018, 11:46 AM
5.5 months to go. Will the board survive 5 more months of this back and forth?? Kinda gets personal/juvenile after a while. WE ALL on the same side. Something to remember.........

I disagree.

DADoZAG
05-29-2018, 11:53 AM

Scrimmages the end of June should help. Anyone know if Brandon will be elsewhere? Is there a chance we'll get to see him the last weekend of June?

Go ZAGS!

Zags_Fanatic
06-23-2018, 09:42 AM
Love this tweet from Jon Rothstein: https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1010524154406297600

Hearing Brandon Clarke has regularly been Gonzaga's best player on certain days in practice. Averaged 17.5 PPG and 8.9 RPG two years ago at San Jose State. Will start at PF.

NotoriousZ
06-23-2018, 10:16 AM
Love this tweet from Jon Rothstein: https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1010524154406297600
Hearing Brandon Clarke has regularly been Gonzaga’s best player on certain days in practice...

I knew it! Unless the place he’s hearing it is GUBoards, in which case that may have just been a rumor started by me.

Bogozags
06-23-2018, 10:34 AM
I disagree.

Seriously, not sure I understand your reply...are you suggesting that we have responders that are not GU Fans?

Mantua
06-23-2018, 07:55 PM
I disagree.

It’s a joke?

Zagceo
02-10-2019, 12:16 PM
Prediction:

from May 28, 2018

Nicely played Mick