PDA

View Full Version : BYU will win Conference Tournament

sittingon50
05-23-2018, 11:22 AM
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865698515/BYU-with-Yoeli-Childs-returning-anticipating-a-strong-2018-19-basketball-season.html

23dpg
05-23-2018, 11:28 AM
I would expect nothing less from a competitor. They should feel that way. I would.

bartruff1
05-23-2018, 11:29 AM
Well, they are definitely older....Rogaine is the official BYU hair restorer....

JPtheBeasta
05-23-2018, 11:36 AM
Is Rex Walters writing for the Deseret News?

Goshzagit
05-23-2018, 11:44 AM
Childs is right in that BYU will be much better than people are anticipating, yet we are still better. They won 24 games last season, and should be much improved, more balanced this season, even with Elijah Bryant leaving.

We recruited Kolby Lee, 6'9", 270lbs, 4*, Top 100, BEAST, raw strength, elite rebounder, plays mean, true center, good passer, etc.

Connor Harding, 6'5" combo guard, returns from Missionary this season, 4*, Top 100 guard.

Gavin Baxter, 6'7" SF, very athletic, joins as well, 4*, Top 100 forward.

Nick Emery, 4*, Top 50 ranked player, is returning, career 15 ppg, 38% 3pt at BYU, we know him, had terrific first year, gives them veteran scoring presence/pop.

Yoeli Childs, PF, 18 ppg, 9 rpg last season, returns.

TJ Haws, G, 12 ppg is coming back.

BYU also returns their entire bench in Dalton Nixon, Hardnett, Seljaas, Luke Worthington, McCay Cannon, all played meaningful minutes.

They could start out slow next year, yet should catch the ground running by WCC play.

A formidable, talented starting lineup of:

Nick Emery
TJ Haws
Baxter
Childs
Lee

Harding off bench, etc.

Every single player listed above was 4* via ESPN/247/Scout/etc, and all were Top 100, save one was Top 125.

Big bad rebounding frontline, shooters up top, athletic presence on the wing. BYU should have a good year ahead of them.

Zagdawg
05-23-2018, 11:46 AM
"Lewis confirmed that guard Nick Emery, who withdrew from school last November for personal reasons and in the wake of an NCAA investigation for allegedly accepting improper benefits from a booster, is returning for his junior year."
“People forget that he averaged 16 points a game as a freshman,” Lewis said. “During his sophomore year he had a lot of things going on and he still averaged 13 a game. He’s talented and good enough. It’s a situation where he’s totally on board and we’re totally on board. We’re moving forward. We’ll see where it goes.”

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-23-2018, 12:50 PM
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865698515/BYU-with-Yoeli-Childs-returning-anticipating-a-strong-2018-19-basketball-season.html

From the article.

“I think it’s going to be the best team that I’ve played on in the last three years by far,” Childs said. “I think we’ll win the conference tournament and we’re going to the NCAA Tournament because the guys we have coming back are older and more mature. … This is the year where it can all come together and we can do something special.”

Zagdawg
05-23-2018, 12:53 PM
I would love to see BYU have a great year and provide some solid competition in conference for us.

Snagglezag
05-23-2018, 12:54 PM
Sure doesn't sound like Emery is cleared to play.

cjm720
05-23-2018, 01:18 PM
Shouldn’t they try to win the conference first?

maynard g krebs
05-23-2018, 01:30 PM
Third place, as usual.

JPtheBeasta
05-23-2018, 02:31 PM
Sure doesn't sound like Emery is cleared to play.

Did he have to give back the Volkswagen Jetta?

Bogozags
05-23-2018, 02:35 PM
I'd love for BYU, SMC, USD and Pepperdine to all have solid teams fighting for a tourney bid...have to play decent OOC games and WIN them!!! Oh, guess SMC wouldn't be part of that group then...

gonstu
05-23-2018, 04:09 PM
This is what BYU needs to clean up, non SMC, GU losses the past few seasons:

2018 Pacific Loyola, USD

2017 Pepp Santa Clara USD

2016 Portland Pepp Pacific

2015 Pepp, USD, Pepp

TravelinZag
05-23-2018, 04:23 PM

Possible, but not bloody likely. History shows if BYU prevails against the Zags, it will likely happen in Spokane, especially if the game is scheduled for Zags’ senior night.

gonzagafan62
05-23-2018, 09:18 PM
BYU thought they’d win conference tournaments and regular season championships since they whooped our butt in 2011 and decided to join the WCC. Here’s the Conference regular season and conference tournament winners since then :

2012 Reg. - Saint Mary’s
2012 Conf Tournament - Saint Mary’s

Everything Else GONZAGA minus a share in 2016 with SMC in regular season.

So, that said... BYU HAS DONE NOTHING IN THE WCC. Nothing!!!!!!!!!!! They can have their wins vs us and act like it’s their national championship. Idc. Not one bit. Till they actually step up and do something I don’t believe in that team one bit. They’ll always be second fiddle

jpn17
05-23-2018, 11:22 PM
Didn't Childs say after Gonzaga waxed them in Provo that Gonzaga wasn't any better than BYU? And that was before the game in Vegas. I like the moxie and I like the confidence, but ultimately words are meaningless. I do hope BYU gives Gonzaga a run for the conference next year though. it would be good for them.

TexasZagFan
05-24-2018, 12:13 AM
BYU thought they’d win conference tournaments and regular season championships since they whooped our butt in 2011 and decided to join the WCC. Here’s the Conference regular season and conference tournament winners since then :

2012 Reg. - Saint Mary’s

So, that said... BYU HAS DONE NOTHING IN THE WCC. Nothing!!!!!!!!!!! They can have their wins vs us and act like it’s their national championship. Idc. Not one bit. Till they actually step up and do something I don’t believe in that team one bit. They’ll always be second fiddle

SMC's had the lock on second fiddle for a decade. ;)

thespywhozaggedme
05-24-2018, 06:09 AM

2012 Reg. - Saint Mary’s

Aren't they "third fiddle"?

caldwellzag
05-24-2018, 06:34 AM
BYU won't win the conference or the conference tourny as we all know who will, but I would love to see BYU with 26 wins or so this season and getting into the big dance. The better they are, the more it helps us and our best path to a Final Four.

scrooner
05-24-2018, 06:51 AM
TJ Haws is back? Isn't he like 34?

Zagsker
05-24-2018, 07:49 AM
TJ Haws is back? Isn't he like 34?

34 is 20 in BYU years

Dave Rose is 26

hooter73
05-24-2018, 08:13 AM
BYU will win Conference Tournament
https://akphoto1.ask.fm/610/828/827/-339996997-1tbmg8t-g4g1qrh3je0rqo5/original/image.jpg

bartruff1
05-24-2018, 08:19 AM
This is what BYU needs to clean up, non SMC, GU losses the past few seasons:

2018 Pacific Loyola, USD

2017 Pepp Santa Clara USD

2016 Portland Pepp Pacific

2015 Pepp, USD, Pepp

This is one of the reasons why I favor a complete home and home conference schedule.....

ZagzKrak
05-24-2018, 08:28 AM
If there was a year we could be had it might be this one since we did lose two of our better defenders. Can a couple of the news guys step up and replace what Melson and J3 brought on the defensive end? Hopefully.

Bogozags
05-24-2018, 08:46 AM
If there was a year we could be had it might be this one since we did lose two of our better defenders. Can a couple of the news guys step up and replace what Melson and J3 brought on the defensive end? Hopefully.

I think our starters are going to be unbelievably stout on defence...Snacks and Rui are going to be really tough defenders and Josh will make the back court the second strongest back court next to the FF team...

We are going to be crazy good this year and as I said in another thread, I hope we play Duke in the finals as it will be our talent and experience versus their talent and lack of experience and I really like our chances...

We will be very special this coming season...

CDC84
05-24-2018, 09:24 AM
BYU has got to figure out how to beat St. Mary's consistently before they worry about Gonzaga. Beating the Gaels in the tournament last year was just one small step in that process. They still have a long way to go.

sylean
05-25-2018, 12:46 AM
27...and he's a junior?....amazing....

kitzbuel
05-25-2018, 02:37 AM
This is one of the reasons why I favor a complete home and home conference schedule.....Lol

That is one of the better arguments in favor of a balanced schedule that I've seen; it gives BYU more bad losses.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Zagger
05-25-2018, 04:39 AM
We shall see. I definitely think teams that know the Zags well have a better chance against GU. However, with the rate ate which GU improved in 17-18 BYU will have it's hands full against us in 18-19. GU stands to really take off - at least how I envision 18-19.

zagdontzig
05-25-2018, 07:05 AM

2012 Reg. - Saint Mary’s

This is basically how I see it.

zagdontzig
05-25-2018, 07:11 AM
Every year, "this is the year" in the BYU bubble. I don't see how they lose in the first round of the NIT, at home, twice, lose their starting PG, then expect a variant of the same roster to make the tournament.

Coach Crazy
05-25-2018, 07:53 AM
Every year, "this is the year" in the BYU bubble. I don't see how they lose in the first round of the NIT, at home, twice, lose their starting PG, then expect a variant of the same roster to make the tournament.

They won't win the conference tournament. And their two 4*'s coming back from the mission field might not materialize into a better roster, but adding Kolby Lee gives them a dimension they haven't had. The ability to run the PnR, PnP, and inside-game more effectively, as well as go to the deep post when you need efficiency can do wonders. It also allows Childs to roam more, and work on his pro game. As well, Nick Emery is a much better scorer and McKay Cannon is gonna need some extra run. So, they very well might be better.

Unless SMC's very young talent gels quick, I could see BYU taking second.

bdmiller7
05-25-2018, 08:40 AM
If Bryant came back I think BYU would have been top 25. Without him I think they're still a possible tourney team and 2nd in the WCC. They also have Dastrup who was a top 100 player out of high school but never gets much time. I've been impressed when I've seen him and his per 40 numbers are almost equal to Childs. Maybe he'll break out this year. 6'10" 250.

gonzagafan62
05-25-2018, 10:16 AM
Second fiddle third fiddle... doesn’t matter. They aren’t worth discussing yet. SMC is

Coach Crazy
05-25-2018, 10:18 AM
Second fiddle third fiddle... doesn’t matter. They aren’t worth discussing yet. SMC is

How so?

TheGonzagaFactor
05-25-2018, 10:42 AM
yawn.

7 years and zero WCC hardware. At all. Not even a share of anything.

Since Jimmer they've won one NCAA Tourney game*. Deserves an asterisk as they had a 25-pt comeback to beat a 14 seed lol.

Missed the tourney 3 years in a row and counting. 2 of their 3 NCAA berths since Jimmer have been play-in games.

Maybe go a year without losing to bad WCC teams before speaking up....

But THIS is the year! Totally!

gonzagafan62
05-25-2018, 12:12 PM
How so?

Cuz they aren’t losing to pacific and LMU on a usual basis like BYU. SMC almost always is considered a “quality win” by being top 50 RPI and the national perception is that SMC is a usual tournament caliber team yet plays The fighting snails every week. All true. The one you may not agree with is that they are “GUs” biggest competition... I think our competition is ourselves, but perception is reality especially when it comes right down to the committee... and it’s quite the mixed bag not only for SMC BUT GU as well.

Combine that with the fact that since BYU has been in the conference I do believe SMC has been in the tournament picture (bubble or not) more frequently than BYU AND has 2 regular season titles since BYUs inception. BYU has nothing. SMC also has a postseason title. BYU doesn’t. I’m pretty sure SMC has more frequently been inside the top 25. I don’t think BYU has been in the top 25 since we’ll shoot.... I don’t even know when. Maybe 2011? Lol

DixieZag
05-25-2018, 05:16 PM
Cuz they aren’t losing to pacific and LMU on a usual basis like BYU. SMC almost always is considered a “quality win” by being top 50 RPI and the national perception is that SMC is a usual tournament caliber team yet plays The fighting snails every week. All true. The one you may not agree with is that they are “GUs” biggest competition... I think our competition is ourselves, but perception is reality especially when it comes right down to the committee... and it’s quite the mixed bag not only for SMC BUT GU as well.

Combine that with the fact that since BYU has been in the conference I do believe SMC has been in the tournament picture (bubble or not) more frequently than BYU AND has 2 regular season titles since BYUs inception. BYU has nothing. SMC also has a postseason title. BYU doesn’t. I’m pretty sure SMC has more frequently been inside the top 25. I don’t think BYU has been in the top 25 since we’ll shoot.... I don’t even know when. Maybe 2011? Lol

I wouldn't take past performance too far in predicting to upcoming season. Except style of play, we can expect to be assaulted.

I think Goshzagit's usual good breakdown makes a convincing case that - given SMC's youth - that BYU might be favored to be 2nd in the conference.

The fallacy in the article is they can talk about how much "better" they will be all day long, if they're not going to be better than all we've got returning (and they're not), then it seems awfully silly. It's not just about BYU, it's about facing a pre-season top 5 team in conference.

All that said, there's nothing I'd like more than for them to actually BE good especially out of conference and get some good wins. That helps everyone. The OOC season this last season was as dismal as I've seen in years.

OntZags
05-25-2018, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't take past performance too far in predicting to upcoming season. Except style of play, we can expect to be assaulted.

I think Goshzagit's usual good breakdown makes a convincing case that - given SMC's youth - that BYU might be favored to be 2nd in the conference.

The fallacy in the article is they can talk about how much "better" they will be all day long, if they're not going to be better than all we've got returning (and they're not), then it seems awfully silly. It's not just about BYU, it's about facing a pre-season top 5 team in conference.

All that said, there's nothing I'd like more than for them to actually BE good especially out of conference and get some good wins. That helps everyone. The OOC season this last season was as dismal as I've seen in years.

It would be nice for them to get some solid OOC wins for a change and even with Bryant's departure, it's reasonable to believe they can.

I'm still not sold they are #2 for next season though. To be frank, Bennett is simply a far superior coach to Rose and he still has a lot of interesting pieces to work with. SMC's offensive efficiency will drop with Landale gone but on the whole they will be better defensively than last season.

And at the end of the day, not surprised they said conference tournament instead of season. BYU may well got hot in the tourney and knock GU out of 1 game. But barring catastrophic injuries, BYU isn't winning the regular season title and they full well know that.

Coach Crazy
05-25-2018, 08:40 PM

SMC lost the guts of its roster. They will be asking a lot of role players or freshman to become the leaders and stars of the team. Naar, gone. Neal, gone. Landale, gone. Hermanson, gone. Fitzner, gone.

I'd be interested to see how you make the case for replacing that production with the existing and incoming pieces they have...

I find BYU's situation more notable.

gonzagafan62
05-25-2018, 08:46 PM
SMC lost the guts of its roster. They will be asking a lot of role players or freshman to become the leaders and stars of the team. Naar, gone. Neal, gone. Landale, gone. Hermanson, gone. Fitzner, gone.

I'd be interested to see how you make the case for replacing that production with the existing and incoming pieces they have...

I find BYU's situation more notable.

They gotta prove to me they won’t lose to inferior 200+ RPI WCC teams consistently now before I believe it. As you may recall I did stick up for them the past 3 years... not anymore

Coach Crazy
05-25-2018, 09:00 PM
They gotta prove to me they won’t lose to inferior 200+ RPI WCC teams consistently now before I believe it. As you may recall I did stick up for them the past 3 years... not anymore

You can take that position, and it's understandable. But again, how is SMC worthy of any real discussion, if BYU is not?

sittingon50
05-25-2018, 09:34 PM
Quite frankly I'm more sold on USD than either BYU or SMC.

gonzagafan62
05-25-2018, 09:43 PM
You can take that position, and it's understandable. But again, how is SMC worthy of any real discussion, if BYU is not?

I already explained in detail

bartruff1
05-26-2018, 05:34 AM
Anything can happen in a one and done tournament and there have been some close calls....but calling this the Gonzaga Invitational is not to far off....never bet against Mark in Vegas as #3 ranked Georgia Tech learned...

Coach Crazy
05-26-2018, 07:40 AM
I already explained in detail

You didn't explain why SMC is worth talking about. Their past means nothing, given their current situation. Jordan Ford and Tanner Krebbs are the most proven producers on that team, at this point. No other player started a game for them, or has averaged more than 5 ppg , and outside of Kyle Clark's 3 game sample size, no other players got more than 8 mpg. How is that worthy of discussion? Even with their best recruiting class ever, that's a shockingly green situation. They could end up 4th or 5th, if Pepperdine and USF do what some here think they could do.

BYU's problem has been players not living up to their potential, and the team not gelling. If that continues to happen, then 2nd and 3rd place are up for grabs. But they are far and away more talented than SMC, at this point.

I have no problem with you not buying into BYU. They've continuously been a let-down. I just don't agree that SMC is worth talking about as an actual contender, either. Although, kind of ironic that we have to talk about this a bunch to explain why we don't need to talk about it haha.

Coach Crazy
05-26-2018, 07:42 AM
Anything can happen in a one and done tournament and there have been some close calls....but calling this the Gonzaga Invitational is not to far off....never bet against Mark in Vegas as #3 ranked Georgia Tech learned...

Given the two decade-ish sample size we have, everyone needs to stop acting like this trend isn't going to continue. Are there outliers in everything? Yeah, sure...but this is the GI, and it will continue to be such, until another program takes a quantum leap forward, or the wheels finally fall off at GU. I don't see either of those happening, at the moment. So, I agree with you. You play with GU's house money when you play GU in Vegas.

zagzilla
05-26-2018, 09:09 AM
BYU looks like they have a window of opportunity this season. More upside than SMC. I hope they are good and well regarded so WCC RPI is less of a boat anchor. Conference RPI needs all the help it can get

Their OOC is better than SMC too

“The non-conference schedule isn’t official yet, but the BYU coaching staff has been busy setting up games that will help the Cougars’ NCAA Tournament resume. BYU has contests against Nevada, Utah, UNLV, San Diego State, Mississippi State, Houston, Illinois State, Utah Valley University, Utah State and Weber State so far.”

ZZ

soccerdud
05-26-2018, 09:34 AM
Given the two decade-ish sample size we have, everyone needs to stop acting like this trend isn't going to continue. Are there outliers in everything? Yeah, sure...but this is the GI, and it will continue to be such, until another program takes a quantum leap forward, or the wheels finally fall off at GU. I don't see either of those happening, at the moment. So, I agree with you. You play with GU's house money when you play GU in Vegas.

i was surprised to see that we have a better winning % in the orleans arena than in k2. it's an undeniable trend at this point. but we could still lose any given year. none of this is in disagreement with your post-- just some related musings.

Coach Crazy
05-26-2018, 12:42 PM
i was suprised to see that we have a better winning % in the orleans arena than in k2. it's an undeniable trend at this point. but we could still lose any given year. none of this is in disagreement with your post-- just some related musings.

For sure. Completely agree.

Zagceo
05-26-2018, 06:26 PM
i was surprised to see that we have a better winning % in the orleans arena than in k2. it's an undeniable trend at this point. but we could still lose any given year. none of this is in disagreement with your post-- just some related musings.

We only play WCC in Orleans.....I’m not surprised

gonzagafan62
05-26-2018, 06:30 PM
You didn't explain why SMC is worth talking about. Their past means nothing, given their current situation. Jordan Ford and Tanner Krebbs are the most proven producers on that team, at this point. No other player started a game for them, or has averaged more than 5 ppg , and outside of Kyle Clark's 3 game sample size, no other players got more than 8 mpg. How is that worthy of discussion? Even with their best recruiting class ever, that's a shockingly green situation. They could end up 4th or 5th, if Pepperdine and USF do what some here think they could do.

BYU's problem has been players not living up to their potential, and the team not gelling. If that continues to happen, then 2nd and 3rd place are up for grabs. But they are far and away more talented than SMC, at this point.

I have no problem with you not buying into BYU. They've continuously been a let-down. I just don't agree that SMC is worth talking about as an actual contender, either. Although, kind of ironic that we have to talk about this a bunch to explain why we don't need to talk about it haha.

Facepalm that’s all

Coach Crazy
05-26-2018, 06:37 PM
Facepalm that’s all

We're facepalm'ing at truth, now?