PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want to see in Maui and Why?

Zagdawg
05-23-2018, 09:06 AM
If you could pick the 3 teams we face-- who would you want to see and why?

Arizona
Auburn (#10)
Duke (#2)
Illinois
Iowa State
San Diego State
Xavier

Rankings from below

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2018-19-college-basketball-rankings-why-villanova-has-fallen-out-of-the-top-5-of-the-top-25-and-one/

willandi
05-23-2018, 09:17 AM
If you could pick the 3 teams we face-- who would you want to see and why?

Arizona
Auburn (#10)
Duke (#2)
Illinois
Iowa State
San Diego State
Xavier

Rankings from below

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2018-19-college-basketball-rankings-why-villanova-has-fallen-out-of-the-top-5-of-the-top-25-and-one/

My first thought was "My wife".

Of the 3 teams, Arizona, Auburn and Duke. I could substitute San Diego State for Auburn.

jazzdelmar
05-23-2018, 09:42 AM
NOT Duke, As in never. We would beat Duke 1 in 99 times, at best.

In order, I prefer we meet Illini, ISU, SDSU, X, Sweaty Cheaty face and the War Eagles.

23dpg
05-23-2018, 09:45 AM

That is just bad math.

Duke
Zona
Auburn

jazzdelmar
05-23-2018, 09:48 AM
That is just bad math.

Duke
Zona
Auburn

Apparently, you've never been at MSG....:)

23dpg
05-23-2018, 09:51 AM
Apparently, you've never been at MSG....:)

Lol, good counterpoint.
I really want next year’s team to be tested at the highest level. I’m ok with a few loses if they happen.

Zagdawg
05-23-2018, 09:54 AM
I agree -- Duke, Auburn, Arizona-- if you want to be the best-- you have to beat the best.

On an off topic.......Is Maui relocating to MSG this year?

sittingon50
05-23-2018, 10:48 AM
Don Ho & Steve McGarrett.

bartruff1
05-23-2018, 10:49 AM
Other than Will's wife....Duke.....to get some measure of the team's strengths and weaknesses .....

Goshzagit
05-23-2018, 11:24 AM
Arizona (BWill vs Perkins, nuff said)
Duke (gotta play vs the best & some say greatest single recruiting class of all-time? along the lines of Fab-5? UNLV?)
SDSU (last season's loss left the worst taste in my mouth, plus they still believe they are 'best in the west')

Zaga
05-23-2018, 01:34 PM

I hope the Zags take down the Dukies this year! Book it Dano.................

thespywhozaggedme
05-23-2018, 02:24 PM

In order, I prefer we meet Illini, ISU, SDSU, X, Sweaty Cheaty face and the War Eagles.

Sarcasm or another example of self loathing fans that I mentioned the other day? I honestly can't tell.

thespywhozaggedme
05-23-2018, 02:26 PM

No one under 45 knows who either of these gentlemen are. lol

Bogozags
05-23-2018, 02:30 PM
Arizona in the first game...show Williams just what he could have been a part of...want to beat them badly!!!!!!!!

Auburn in the second game...Pearl still doesn't have a team that can beat GU

Duke in the Championship game...our talent and experience vs their talent and lack of experience...I like those odds and to show Williams just what he will miss if this is his only year of D1 hoops...

Bogozags
05-23-2018, 02:30 PM
No one under 45 knows who either of these gentlemen are. lol

How about Jimmy Borges(?)

Zagceo
05-23-2018, 02:53 PM
Duke playing majority freshmen in Hawaii w 6 hours time zone change..... Zags entering season with highest ranked pre season team in school history.

having one of the best players in college basketball will help

Mark Few: I expect him to be one of the best players in college basketball.

Zags favored by 3.... in way to early offshore sports book

willandi
05-23-2018, 03:50 PM
Sarcasm or another example of self loathing fans that I mentioned the other day? I honestly can't tell.

I have to agree.If he honestly believes that Gonzaga could only win 1 out of 100 against Duke...I don't accept that he is a Gonzaga fan.

TravelinZag
05-23-2018, 04:17 PM
Duke, Auburn, any other top-25 team (currently none). So, either Xavier or Arizona. We will already play Chaminade in Spokane, plus 6 to 8 WCC opponents with losing records. No more! Prefer to lose to Duke than defeat Illinois.

Go Zags! Beat the best!

dhozagfan08
05-23-2018, 04:27 PM
That is just bad math.

Duke
Zona
Auburn
If it were the end of the season, i would not want to play them. At the beginning of the season they will not be cohesive. That is the best time to play them and get a signature win.

jazzdelmar
05-23-2018, 04:35 PM
I have to agree.If he honestly believes that Gonzaga could only win 1 out of 100 against Duke...I don't accept that he is a Gonzaga fan.

Small minded.

DixieZag
05-23-2018, 04:58 PM
Small minded.

No doubt you're a huge Zag fan.

No doubt you know you're using hyperbole, you know they'd win far more but less than 50 to make a point worth considering.

No doubt you're not ripping Mark Few so much as stating just how good Coach K can be in big games (and they will want to win the most prestigious early season tourney.)

No doubt you believe (and it is probably true), despite our wonderful win over UNC with Heytvelt at MSG, the last hurdle that GU has yet to climb (along with a NC) is beating one of the bluest of blue bloods unless one counts Arizona.

Until they have beaten a Duke, Kentucky (when good), or Nova (as they currently are), there is a huge psychological hurdle.

No doubt that you believe they'll likely fight hard, show us something in not being intimidated, maybe lose in the last few minutes, and that loss will help us more than every single win in the WCC, bc it will show the guys that they can beat that team, just need to finish.

At least that's my read, knowing you fairly well over the years, and enjoying you as a serious Zag fan, but no apologist.

My teams?

Arizona - Punish them for cheating on a criminal level, show Williams he blew it.
Xavier - Can't stand that team, never will. Very odd that a Jesuit school can seem so not Jesuit in BB.
Duke - Even a loss (and i don't think it's a given) will help us.

jazzdelmar
05-23-2018, 05:03 PM
No doubt about it, Dix. Thanks for your open minded, Kool Aid free observation.

No doubt you're a huge Zag fan.

No doubt you know you're using hyperbole, you know they'd win far more but less than 50 to make a point worth considering.

No doubt you're not ripping Mark Few so much as stating just how good Coach K can be in big games (and they will want to win the most prestigious early season tourney.)

No doubt you believe (and it is probably true), despite our wonderful win over UNC with Heytvelt at MSG, the last hurdle that GU has yet to climb (along with a NC) is beating one of the bluest of blue bloods unless one counts Arizona.

Until they have beaten a Duke, Kentucky (when good), or Nova (as they currently are), there is a huge psychological hurdle.

No doubt that you believe they'll likely fight hard, show us something in not being intimidated, maybe lose in the last few minutes, and that loss will help us more than every single win in the WCC, bc it will show the guys that they can beat that team, just need to finish.

At least that's my read, knowing you fairly well over the years, and enjoying you as a serious Zag fan, but no apologist.

My teams?

Arizona - Punish them for cheating on a criminal level, show Williams he blew it.
Xavier - Can't stand that team, never will. Very odd that a Jesuit school can seem so not Jesuit in BB.
Duke - Even a loss (and i don't think it's a given) will help us.

thespywhozaggedme
05-23-2018, 05:20 PM
No doubt about it, Dix. Thanks for your open minded, Kool Aid free observation.

And 1 outta 100 isn't Kool Aid in the opposite direction? I understand hyperbole, I am a big user of it but it has to be used judiciously and with responsibility.

soccerdud
05-23-2018, 05:42 PM
And 1 outta 100 isn't Kool Aid in the opposite direction? I understand hyperbole, I am a big user of it but it has to be used judiciously and with responsibility.

lol, spy wants to have a serious talk with you about responsible use of hyperbole, jazz.

might be time to reevaluate some stuff.

jazzdelmar
05-23-2018, 05:52 PM
lol, spy wants to have a serious talk with you about responsible use of hyperbole, jazz.

might be time to reevaluate some stuff.

He’s a master of self parody.

thespywhozaggedme
05-23-2018, 06:01 PM
He’s a master of self parody.

As a matter of fact:

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=Bobiolover

willandi
05-23-2018, 06:13 PM
Small minded.

Mealy mouthed.

They are your words. I don't know you. There were no sarcasm tags. You have said that same kind of crap before. I am starting to believe you are an East coast troll transplanted to San Diego. I am not convinced that you are a Zag fan.

strikenowhere
05-23-2018, 07:09 PM
Arizona -> Auburn -> Duke. Lets see the team kick ass and take names.

gonzagafan62
05-23-2018, 09:29 PM
I wanna play duke. Win or lose its great for us

thespywhozaggedme
05-24-2018, 05:19 AM
I wanna play duke. Win or lose it’s great for us

I wanna beat Duke and this season,with this team I think we can.

cjm720
05-24-2018, 05:59 AM
Duke playing majority freshmen in Hawaii w 6 hours time zone change..... Zags entering season with highest ranked pre season team in school history.

having one of the best players in college basketball will help

Zags favored by 3.... in way to early offshore sports book

I missed the quote. I assume Rui, correct?

thespywhozaggedme
05-24-2018, 06:07 AM

He's talking about Duke with RJ Barrett, I believe.

Zagceo
05-24-2018, 11:13 AM

yep

thespywhozaggedme
05-24-2018, 12:09 PM
He's talking about Duke with RJ Barrett, I believe.

Never mind then, I was completely wrong.

Zagger
05-25-2018, 05:02 AM
I want to see Perkins in Maui - with a well healed shoulder and some spiffy ball handling/passing magic :)

TheGonzagaFactor
05-25-2018, 06:36 AM
Obvious answer is Auburn, Arizona, and Duke.

I can almost guarantee that Gonzaga, Arizona, Auburn, and Duke will be in different quarterfinals, meaning the three I mentioned are impossible. So I'll go with:

Iowa State (get the entire Big 12 into our RPI web)
Arizona
Duke

bartruff1
05-25-2018, 07:17 AM
I wanna play duke. Win or lose it’s great for us

Sure....Duke is the marque brand.....the others are ....well....others...not Duke....:D

MDABE80
05-25-2018, 07:57 AM

Will it's hyperbole. Everyone take a breath......Jazz is a huge Zag fan.

Zagdawg
05-25-2018, 07:58 AM
or not........

RenoZag
02-22-2019, 05:52 PM
Maybe they can pull off 2 in 99. . .