• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SLOZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

GU NBA-Distance 3pt Shooting

An interesting read in support of the notion that, unlike what you might think, taking a 25 footer may be a wise strategic move by a coach:

How did GU compare against the field on this metric? According to the sample examined by the author (the sample was "data from about 40 percent of games [this past year, with] a heavy emphasis on the Power Five programs"), GU was 10th in the nation in NBA-distance 3pt shots, and they were tied for 6th in the nation in % made from that distance (tied with WSU -- Wazzu, not Wichita State). Villanova was #1 in attempts and #2 in % made. Marquette was #1 in % made, the national average having been 34.5% for NBA-distance 3pt shots.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SLOZag View Post
    An interesting read in support of the notion that, unlike what you might think, taking a 25 footer may be a wise strategic move by a coach:

How did GU compare against the field on this metric? According to the sample examined by the author (the sample was "data from about 40 percent of games [this past year, with] a heavy emphasis on the Power Five programs"), GU was 10th in the nation in NBA-distance 3pt shots, and they were tied for 6th in the nation in % made from that distance (tied with WSU -- Wazzu, not Wichita State). Villanova was #1 in attempts and #2 in % made. Marquette was #1 in % made, the national average having been 34.5% for NBA-distance 3pt shots.
    Dickau, Raivio, Stepp, Perkins, Morrison .... 5 guys I I've enjoyed launching from severely deep. Who've I missed (besides Rillie)?
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Bouldin4Prez
      Kennel Club Alum
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
      Dickau, Raivio, Stepp, Perkins, Morrison .... 5 guys I I've enjoyed launching from severely deep. Who've I missed (besides Rillie)?
      Early in his career but Norvell enjoys shooting from well beyond the arc. I enjoy it as well.

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
        er.
        Other than Morrison, who would shoot from the hotel, I'd say of your (good) list, Stepp would be my second long-range no prob shooter
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• Samiam
          Redshirt
          • Apr 2017

Kyle Wiltjer?

Comment

Working...
          X