PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Tennessee

caldwellzag
05-18-2018, 07:11 AM
Huge game

https://twitter.com/GonzagaGuru/status/997494154971131905

raise the zag
05-18-2018, 07:19 AM
Tennessee has an incredible looking team next season, b/w high profile recruits, transfers, and returnees.

then we play another Top-10 UNC squad the next wkend post-finals.

this is shaping up to be Gonzaga's best-ever OOC schedule.

A good chance to face 3 Top-10 teams before Xmas. wow

not to mention Washington will be Top-25, if not much higher. Creighton is always a threat, and the multiple power teams in Maui.

Zagdawg
05-18-2018, 07:34 AM
Nice addition!

https://frshoopz.com/cbb/gonzaga-tennessee-and-nevada-gcu-to-headline-2018-jerry-colangelo-classic/

strikenowhere
05-18-2018, 07:35 AM
Delicious

ZagNative
05-18-2018, 07:39 AM
Gonzaga Guru complete schedule: https://zagsguru.wordpress.com/welcome/schedule/2018-19-gonzaga-schedule/

gonstu
05-18-2018, 07:44 AM
Huge game

https://twitter.com/GonzagaGuru/status/997494154971131905

Does winner play winner of other game? Or just a 1-game thing.

raise the zag
05-18-2018, 07:47 AM
Does winner play winner of other game? Or just a 1-game thing.

1 game for all 4 schools. not a tourney format.

We are ranked #5 and Tennessee #6 in many pre-season polls. awesome

jazzdelmar
05-18-2018, 08:17 AM
We'd better find a PG.....

strikenowhere
05-18-2018, 08:19 AM
This should certainly help balance out how dreadful the conference SOS is going to be next year with BYU & St. Mary's on a downward trajectory.

gonstu
05-18-2018, 08:24 AM
This should certainly help balance out how dreadful the conference SOS is going to be next year with BYU & St. Mary's on a downward trajectory.

Need to win some of those big games though. Lose all of those and then a few unexpected slips in a weak conference = bubble!

thebigsmoove
05-18-2018, 09:05 AM
Monster game. Non Conference SOS is gonna be very strong.

Side Note: Really wish we could get a series with Nevada going. Would be the battle for best in the west next year.

thespywhozaggedme
05-18-2018, 09:18 AM
Need to win some of those big games though. Lose all of those and then a few unexpected slips in a weak conference = bubble!

Is that a joke? I would be shocked if we didn't win every single conference game by at least 12 to 15 points this upcoming season.

raise the zag
05-18-2018, 09:36 AM

I've always said, "we're on the bubble 'til we're not."

bballbeachbum
05-18-2018, 09:38 AM
I've always said, "we're on the bubble 'til we're not."

good way to look at it seems to me

thebigsmoove
05-18-2018, 09:52 AM

You do realize this will be the highest preseason ranked team in Gonzaga history, you really think we are gonna lose all of those or slip up in a down WCC this year? You gotta be trollin'

sittingon50
05-18-2018, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE=raise the zag;1389156]

Washington will be Top-25, if not much higher. QUOTE]

I like uw's Coach rtz & think they're trending in the right direction, but still have a way to go to reach those heights, IMHO.

gonzagafan62
05-18-2018, 11:48 AM
Is that a joke? I would be shocked if we didn't win every single conference game by at least 12 to 15 points this upcoming season.

Every single one? It’s not happening spy. Quit

Zagdawg
05-18-2018, 01:11 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/may/18/gonzaga-to-face-tennessee-in-2018-jerry-colangelo-/

ZagNative
05-18-2018, 01:34 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/may/18/gonzaga-to-face-tennessee-in-2018-jerry-colangelo-/
Interesting ....

"Gonzaga is expected to add at least one more marquee matchup."

GoZags
05-18-2018, 02:06 PM
Interesting ....

229sinto has been asking ... looks like the Zags are delivering. Hopefully this ends up been a boost to the home schedule for this coming season (and future seasons).

Zagdawg
05-18-2018, 02:06 PM
Could it be Nevada?

Chris Murray

Verified account

@MurrayRGJ
Follow Follow @MurrayRGJ
More
Nevada's 2018-19 non-conference schedule, with the addition of Grand Canyon at the Suns' arena, as reported by @JonRothstein (game had been booked for a couple of weeks). That leaves three more OOC games out there.

CDC84
05-18-2018, 02:43 PM
I am 95%+ certain this last marquee game will take place at the Kennel. The Zags now have two road games (Creighton and UNC), a neutral floor game (Tennessee) and a tournament in Maui (featuring 3 top 10 teams in Duke, Gonzaga and Auburn). That's enough when it comes to road/neutral non-conference games. Plus, the season ticket holders and students deserve a good non-league home game at K2. Washington is nice, but I also see Gonzaga scheduling a home and home against some sort of power opponent next season with the first game to be played at K2. I know Steve Alford wanted to resume the UCLA/GU series at one point. Arizona won't happen next season because the two teams are playing in Maui. I have been lobbying for Purdue for years, who is going to be a preseason top 25 team.

I have not heard of anything regarding Nevada. Given NV's scheduling needs it seems logical, but man, Duke, Auburn, Tennessee and UNC are projected to be top 10 teams. And all of those games will be road/neutral affairs. I expect to see Auburn on Gonzaga's side of the bracket in Maui as Duke will be the number one seed. GU is probably going to have to beat the Tigers and Blue Devils to win the Maui Invitational. That seems like enough in terms of scheduling strength. NV is projected at #8. I absolutely wouldn't do it unless the first game were at K2 in front of the students.

CBS just came out with their updated 2019 rankings: Tennessee is at #4, Gonzaga at #6:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2018-19-college-basketball-rankings-way-too-early-top-25-and-1-has-kansas-and-duke-at-top/

maynard g krebs
05-18-2018, 03:00 PM

SMC might take a bit of a dip early due to the loss of 3 key seniors, but their talent level could, arguably, be better than the last few years. If anything, the overall trajectory is upward. They'll have a more athletic team, and once they have a chance to mesh in Bennett's system, they'll be very good.

maynard g krebs
05-18-2018, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE=raise the zag;1389156]

Washington will be Top-25, if not much higher. QUOTE]

I like uw's Coach rtz & think they're trending in the right direction, but still have a way to go to reach those heights, IMHO.

Agree. I see a bubble team, 35-50ish.

thespywhozaggedme
05-18-2018, 03:25 PM
Every single one? It’s not happening spy. Quit

Yes, every single one. We are a top-five team and our conference stinks this year. The self-loathing of our fanbase is reaching new heights this off-season

Zagceo
05-18-2018, 04:24 PM

Yep

MDABE80
05-18-2018, 05:05 PM

Pot stirrer!

thespywhozaggedme
05-18-2018, 05:09 PM
This upcoming season's team has a minimum of three and at most six NBA players on the current roster. The entire WCC combined other than Gonzaga doesn't have three NBA players.

soccerdud
05-18-2018, 05:10 PM
Pot stirrer!

... he says pot-stirringly.

jazzdelmar
05-18-2018, 05:53 PM
This upcoming season's team has a minimum of three and at most six NBA players on the current roster. The entire WCC combined other than Gonzaga doesn't have three NBA players.

Six? Counting by twos? By threes?

thespywhozaggedme
05-18-2018, 06:54 PM
Six? Counting by twos? By threes?

Rui, Tillie and Norvell are locks. Petrusev, Clarke are probable and either Larson, Ayayi and/or Perks might make a roster

GoZags
05-18-2018, 07:04 PM
Rui, Tillie and Norvell are locks. Petrusev, Clarke are probable and either Larson, Ayayi and/or Perks might make a roster

You'd have to define the term "NBA players"

If you mean appear in an NBA "Summer League" or go to an NBA pre-season camp I'd say you have an outside chance of being correct. If your definition is actually getting minutes in an official NBA game, then I gotta go with the Seattle Mariners "slogan" from the 1984 season ... "Anything can happen". That year the M's finished 5th in the A.L. West with a record of 74-88.

jazzdelmar
05-18-2018, 07:16 PM

Again, you leave me speechless.

thespywhozaggedme
05-18-2018, 08:23 PM
Again, you leave me speechless.

I need you to expound on your post, it's much too vague and leads to self interpretation.

thespywhozaggedme
05-18-2018, 08:24 PM
You'd have to define the term "NBA players"

If you mean appear in an NBA "Summer League" or go to an NBA pre-season camp I'd say you have an outside chance of being correct. If your definition is actually getting minutes in an official NBA game, then I gotta go with the Seattle Mariners "slogan" from the 1984 season ... "Anything can happen". That year the M's finished 5th in the A.L. West with a record of 74-88.

Richie Frahm once scored 34 points in a game for the Clippers.

GoZags
05-18-2018, 08:59 PM
Richie Frahm once scored 34 points in a game for the Clippers.

No Spy. He didn't.

However Richie DID score 31 in a game for the Sonics. But the most I ever watched him score in an NBA game was the week before that, when he racked up 17 against the Bucks.

thespywhozaggedme
05-18-2018, 09:43 PM
No Spy. He didn't.

However Richie DID score 31 in a game for the Sonics. But the most I ever watched him score in an NBA game was the week before that, when he racked up 17 against the Bucks.

you're right, it was for the Sonics. And it was 31, not 34. My memory gets worse with age.

tyra
05-18-2018, 09:46 PM
We attended the game against Tennessee last year in Nashville. Great experience but the worst officiated game Iíve seen. Ever. Loving this OOC schedule.

MDABE80
05-19-2018, 01:28 AM
It's a good schedule. Even without Maui it's decent..by our standards. As for the NBA chatter above, Tillie and RUI maybe. Clarke with some timing and luck depending on how he does here. Norvell..maybe but surely not close right now. He'll need some serious development on both sides to get a serious look. I hope we have 6 when each is done with his college career........lots of hope.. Not much likelihood though.
We have good college players. College players.

jazzdelmar
05-19-2018, 04:28 AM

Rui 75% shot. Tils 50%....the rest are suspects. But terrific COLLEGE bb players, per Doc

zagfan24
05-19-2018, 05:00 AM

There is a huge difference between being favored by double digits in each conference game (still unlikely) and actually being expected to win all games by double digits (way less likely). It’s ignoring randomness in each game, the very high likelihood that a few WCC opponents will have a great night and that GU will have a stinker or two.

It’s like how you can be predicted to win each game on KenPom but not be predicted to have a perfect season. Making probabilities when looking at a series of events is very different from making odds on a single game. Further, while the top 2 teams might be down (though I expect SMC to be fine) I think the mid level of the WCC is improving.

I think the Zags are easily a top 5 team next year if Perkins stays healthy. But I am nearly certain there will be some close games in conference. UMBC beat Virginia after all.

MileHigh
05-19-2018, 06:37 AM
Rui, Tillie and Norvell are locks.

The way I see it, the only first round lock on Gonzaga is Rui.

After that, I would say Tillie could either play himself into a late first round pick or play himself out of the draft all together. His NBA upside is his length and shooting, his NBA deficiencies are that he has below average athleticism(NBA standards) and he is not real physical. This is a really big year for him coming up

Norvell, in my opinion, will be a 4 year college player but could eventually be a late first/second round pick. He is a really good scorer, and has the mental toughness needed for the NBA, but isnt a real dynamic athlete, which is almost a requirement now with players his size. I predict a lot of hand wringing on this site when he becomes eligible to grad transfer after his jr year

MileHigh
05-19-2018, 06:45 AM

....certainly you are speaking of more DEPTH at pg. I really hope we arn't diving down that "JP isn't a pg" hole again.

Kong-Kool-Aid
05-19-2018, 06:54 AM
....certainly you are speaking of more DEPTH at pg. I really hope we arn't diving down that "JP isn't a pg" hole again.

JP one of the top point guards in the country next season. Haters gonna hate.

thespywhozaggedme
05-19-2018, 07:17 AM
There is a huge difference between being favored by double digits in each conference game (still unlikely) and actually being expected to win all games by double digits (way less likely). It’s ignoring randomness in each game, the very high likelihood that a few WCC opponents will have a great night and that GU will have a stinker or two.

It’s like how you can be predicted to win each game on KenPom but not be predicted to have a perfect season. Making probabilities when looking at a series of events is very different from making odds on a single game. Further, while the top 2 teams might be down (though I expect SMC to be fine) I think the mid level of the WCC is improving.

I think the Zags are easily a top 5 team next year if Perkins stays healthy. But I am nearly certain there will be some close games in conference. UMBC beat Virginia after all.

Everyone knew all season that that Virginia team was playing with fire. They were pretty much every single persons pick for the first top seed to get out.Plus they have one NBA player on the roster.

thespywhozaggedme
05-19-2018, 07:19 AM
The way I see it, the only first round lock on Gonzaga is Rui.

After that, I would say Tillie could either play himself into a late first round pick or play himself out of the draft all together. His NBA upside is his length and shooting, his NBA deficiencies are that he has below average athleticism(NBA standards) and he is not real physical. This is a really big year for him coming up

Norvell, in my opinion, will be a 4 year college player but could eventually be a late first/second round pick. He is a really good scorer, and has the mental toughness needed for the NBA, but isnt a real dynamic athlete, which is almost a requirement now with players his size. I predict a lot of hand wringing on this site when he becomes eligible to grad transfer after his jr year

We will have to agree to disagree about Norvell. I think he's a Bradley Beal clone. The good thing is eventually we will find out

Bouldin4Prez
05-19-2018, 07:37 AM
Yes, every single one. We are a top-five team and our conference stinks this year. The self-loathing of our fanbase is reaching new heights this off-season

Saying that we won't win every single conference game by double digits is self loathing? You're a wild one Spy. I love your enthusiasm for this team.

thespywhozaggedme
05-19-2018, 08:44 AM
Saying that we won't win every single conference game by double digits is self loathing? You're a wild one Spy. I love your enthusiasm for this team.

No, not at all. But saying that this current incarnation of our team could slip up and lose a few conference games and become a bubble team is. We are loaded, top five and our conference mates stink this year.

jazzdelmar
05-19-2018, 08:49 AM

Of course......for breathers for JP and as insurance vs his rehab.

What do you imply here: " I predict a lot of hand wringing on this site when (Norvell) becomes eligible to grad transfer after his jr year"...You mean to leave a top 5 team for a top 10 team?

thespywhozaggedme
05-19-2018, 09:35 AM
Of course......for breathers for JP and as insurance vs his rehab.

What do you imply here: " I predict a lot of hand wringing on this site when (Norvell) becomes eligible to grad transfer after his jr year"...You mean to leave a top 5 team for a top 10 team?

Yeah, I didn't understand that last comment at all. It was really out of character for mile high. Plus Zach is only going to be a redshirt sophomore at the end of the season anyway

soccerdud
05-19-2018, 10:08 AM

i have been trying to explain this same thing to him for, literally, years. years.

Markburn1
05-19-2018, 10:33 AM
i have been trying to explain this same thing to him for, literally, years. years.

I tried once. That was enough for me. Hopeless.

Even in a near perfect year, one bad half derailed the prediction of winning them all. See BYU a couple years ago.

Vegas makes extraordinary amounts of money on parlay bets.

By the way, the irony of spy derailing a thread by going off topic is delicious.

thespywhozaggedme
05-19-2018, 11:03 AM
I tried once. That was enough for me. Hopeless.

Even in a near perfect year, one bad half derailed the prediction of winning them all. See BYU a couple years ago.

Vegas makes extraordinary amounts of money on parlay bets.

By the way, the irony of spy derailing a thread by going off topic is delicious.

I'll tell you what, I will make username bet that we do not lose a conference game this year, with the caveat we did not lose any key players to injury's. And you can change my username to whatever you want. And if we run the table I can change your username to whatever I want. Deal?

23dpg
05-19-2018, 12:08 PM
I'll tell you what, I will make username bet that we do not lose a conference game this year, with the caveat we did not lose any key players to injury's. And you can change my username to whatever you want. And if we run the table I can change your username to whatever I want. Deal?

By 12-15? I’ll take that bet. I’ll even give you 10. As far as going undefeated, the Zags will certainly be favored in all their league games next year, but the probability of winning all of them is way below 50%! Probably single digits. That said, I will never take a bet that has Gonzaga losing.

Markburn1
05-19-2018, 12:22 PM

This response simply proves you don't understand the concept that you are engaged in. What you are doing is gambling that your prediction is correct. Doesn't matter if it is or not. The odds of winning each and every game by 12-15 points is the issue. Each game has a cumulative effect on the odds of the aggregate. It is apparent that you don't have a grasp of that.

I don't gamble, but if I did I would bet the mortgage that there will be at least one game and probably more where the Zags don't cover your 12 point spread.

Back to the topic.

Tennessee is scary.

MileHigh
05-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I didn't understand that last comment at all. It was really out of character for mile high. Plus Zach is only going to be a redshirt sophomore at the end of the season anyway

Wasn’t implying anything on the Norvell
comment and don’t have any reason to believe he isn’t happy in Spokane but he will have a year of eligibility left and will likely weigh his options as most of these grad transfer eligible kids do. He is a midwestern kid and I could see him being lured to a Big 10 or Big East team for that last year, but by the same token could see him staying put and trying to break all the Gonzaga scoring records.

jazzdelmar
05-19-2018, 05:52 PM
comment and don’t have any reason to believe he isn’t happy in Spokane but he will have a year of eligibility left and will likely weigh his options as most of these grad transfer eligible kids do. He is a midwestern kid and I could see him being lured to a Big 10 or Big East team for that last year, but by the same token could see him staying put and trying to break all the Gonzaga scoring records.

Now that’s what I call pot stirring.......

thespywhozaggedme
05-19-2018, 07:50 PM

I think it will be a moot point because I think he will be NBA bound after his junior year.

kitzbuel
05-20-2018, 06:12 AM
By 12-15? Iíll take that bet. Iíll even give you 10. As far as going undefeated, the Zags will certainly be favored in all their league games next year, but the probability of winning all of them is way below 50%! Probably single digits. That said, I will never take a bet that has Gonzaga losing.I'll go further than 23 and put money on that bet.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

bartruff1
05-20-2018, 08:29 AM
I can't imagine that Norvell can break all the Gonzaga scoring records.....for a game.... or for a season..... or for a career.....he can try of course but .......no chance, imho ...

Looking forward to a classic with Tenn. and Few's long time friend......

thespywhozaggedme
05-20-2018, 08:39 AM
I'll go further than 23 and put money on that bet.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I don't to money bets, I do do username bets because those are usually fun and silly but this board isn't the most lighthearted board, some of the higher ups that are on this board to take things very seriously, a little too serious in my opinion but that is their prerogative, but you being a mod I highly doubt they will let you change your username.

Kong-Kool-Aid
05-20-2018, 08:43 AM
I don't to money bets, I do do username bets because those are usually fun and silly but this board isn't the most lighthearted board, some of the higher ups that are on this board to take things very seriously, a little too serious in my opinion but that is their prerogative, but you being a mod I highly doubt they will let you change your username.

I'll bet my username that the Zags do not win every WCC game by double digits.

Lets do it.

kitzbuel
05-20-2018, 10:47 AM

I am the higher up.

thespywhozaggedme
05-20-2018, 12:13 PM
I am the higher up.

I know that, you have suspended me several times. :)

thespywhozaggedme
05-20-2018, 12:16 PM
I'll bet my username that the Zags do not win every WCC game by double digits.

Lets do it.

I don't know how that became the bet, with those parameters. Here is my initial bet offering to Markburn in post number 53:

If you want that bet, I will take it.

TexasZagFan
05-20-2018, 02:21 PM
I don't know how that became the bet, with those parameters. Here is my initial bet offering to Markburn in post number 53:

If you want that bet, I will take it.

From my perch, there should be no caveats, particularly when it comes to injuries. This team is so deep, it shouldn't matter.

basketballzag
05-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Gonzaga Guru complete schedule: https://zagsguru.wordpress.com/welcome/schedule/2018-19-gonzaga-schedule/

I along with many others were hoping William Wade and LSU would have signed on the dotted line to play Gonzaga this year. Always next year!

PCZ_Frites
05-20-2018, 04:17 PM
Based on what we know it looks like there are around 5 yet to be determined games. With only two pre-conference games at home, I hope the remaining yet to be determined big game is in the Kennel. Is San Diego State not doing a return game in the Kennel this year? If yes, I assume the remaining three games will be at home against teams like North Dakota, Utah State, and other 100-200 RPI teams. Regardless of what remains, this schedule is really good.

maynard g krebs
05-20-2018, 05:47 PM
Is San Diego State not doing a return game in the Kennel this year?

SDSU came to Gonzaga in Dec 16. Last year GU played the return game.

PCZ_Frites
05-20-2018, 09:22 PM
SDSU came to Gonzaga in Dec 16. Last year GU played the return game.

Ah yes, thanks for the reminder. I had completely forgot about that game.

CDC84
05-21-2018, 06:42 PM
As wonderful as this game is, part of me wishes it were a home and home series starting at K2 this season. College basketball just has too many neutral court games right now. The games are not nearly as exciting as when they are played on campus. Although it's an elite matchup, just how many people are going to show up to a Gonzaga/Tennessee game in Phoenix (of all places)?? What will the atmosphere be like??? It sort of reminds me of North Carolina facing Kentucky in Vegas. Great game, but the atmosphere was dead. If college basketball really wants to promote its game, it needs to show that the one thing that they have that they NBA cannot offer is crowd atmosphere. Even if Cleveland and Golden State face each other in the NBA finals, none of those games will approach the atmosphere of Rupp Arena at Kentucky when the Cats take on some big time team w/ the students are on campus.

TexasZagFan
05-22-2018, 12:17 AM
As wonderful as this game is, part of me wishes it were a home and home series starting at K2 this season. College basketball just has too many neutral court games right now. The games are not nearly as exciting as when they are played on campus. Although it's an elite matchup, just how many people are going to show up to a Gonzaga/Tennessee game in Phoenix (of all places)?? What will the atmosphere be like??? It sort of reminds me of North Carolina facing Kentucky in Vegas. Great game, but the atmosphere was dead. If college basketball really wants to promote its game, it needs to show that the one thing that they have that they NBA cannot offer is crowd atmosphere. Even if Cleveland and Golden State face each other in the NBA finals, none of those games will approach the atmosphere of Rupp Arena at Kentucky when the Cats take on some big time team w/ the students are on campus.

IMO, it's past time for MAC season ticket holders to be compensated more fairly by the Zags. They can't do much about the conference schedule, but there needs to be more palatable opponents in preseason games. UNC is a great addition, but there needs to be much more. Those vying to back up Josh at point will not be challenged by the likes of Incarnate Word or Texas Southern.

CDC84
05-22-2018, 08:11 AM
Despite many people's wishes to the contrary, my gut feeling is that there will still likely be a couple of Incarnate Word and Howard type schools on the schedule because they generate more program revenue than any other games. Gonzaga hardly has to pay anything for 300+ RPI opponents to come to K2 to play in front of a sell out audience. The higher up the RPI chain you go, the more you have to pay the team to come to your place without a return game. It's a delicate balance between generating program revenue, pleasing the season ticket holder, and doing what's best for the team. It would be interesting to find out how much Gonzaga is paying Denver this season as opposed to Howard last season. Denver was 229 in the RPI last season; Howard 339. Denver finished 110 spots ahead of Howard. Pretty big difference.

However, now that Gonzaga has two more non-league games to play with (due to the reduction to a 16 game league schedule), one would hope the school could get a couple of quality home and homes going that they normally wouldn't get now that there is more space available. This last "marquee" game REALLY needs to be a K2 game. Gonzaga already has enough road/neutral games on its non-league sked. It would be nice to schedule a team like Akron again. GU had to pay more money to get them to come to K2 a few years ago without a return game, but they got a top 100 RPI win.

amaronizag
06-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Still some good seats available for the Tennessee/GU game in AZ. Buy soon if you're going.

thebigsmoove
06-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Still some good seats available for the Tennessee/GU game in AZ. Buy soon if you're going.

Might be moving to AZ, as soon as i know for sure im buying.

Snowkane
08-23-2018, 09:34 AM
Might be moving to AZ, as soon as i know for sure im buying.

Going to Phoenix for this game!

Go ZAGS!