PDA

View Full Version : Here Comes ShotTracker

SLOZag
05-16-2018, 10:58 AM
A really interesting read from Forbes:

"ShotTracker's founders call it an easy-to-use system that is put together in two parts. First, electronic sensors installed up in a facility's rafters can map a basketball court in 3D. Meanwhile, as a game or practice is in progress, ShotTracker gathers up data by following the real-time movement of both the ball and players fitted with lightweight sensors. The firm says that its technology can specifically enable coaches to make adjustments based on any game-in-progress data, doing so during half-time or on the fly. In addition to that, coaches and players receive game and practice summaries and reports, giving them direct access to the intel and data that can be used to improve the form of both individual players and the team. For example, technology like this can help coaches recognize areas of the floor where the team is shooting successfully and where it is not. Likewise, a team can pinpoint when it's getting beat in the low post, on the perimeter, or in transition. So far, ShotTracker has been piloted and used by the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics and was used in the NAIA Men’s Basketball Championships for the last two years. And, as the game continues to get more competitive, it is likely that both basketball teams in the U.S. and abroad will look for different ways to use data collection to improve game strategy.

"Getting a financial boost from some big names in B-ball also doesn't hurt. During their initial rounds of funding, ShotTracker has brought on both Basketball Hall of Famer Earvin “Magic” Johnson, and longtime NBA commissioner David Stern as investors."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyfrye/2018/05/16/new-tech-in-basketball-may-give-teams-more-edge/#1597f385456d

The article contains more, and is linked to a video.

It will be interesting to see if, and when, Gonzaga decides to invest in such a system.

Coach Crazy
05-16-2018, 11:28 AM
A really interesting read from Forbes:

"ShotTracker's founders call it an easy-to-use system that is put together in two parts. First, electronic sensors installed up in a facility's rafters can map a basketball court in 3D. Meanwhile, as a game or practice is in progress, ShotTracker gathers up data by following the real-time movement of both the ball and players fitted with lightweight sensors. The firm says that its technology can specifically enable coaches to make adjustments based on any game-in-progress data, doing so during half-time or on the fly. In addition to that, coaches and players receive game and practice summaries and reports, giving them direct access to the intel and data that can be used to improve the form of both individual players and the team. For example, technology like this can help coaches recognize areas of the floor where the team is shooting successfully and where it is not. Likewise, a team can pinpoint when it's getting beat in the low post, on the perimeter, or in transition. So far, ShotTracker has been piloted and used by the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics and was used in the NAIA Men’s Basketball Championships for the last two years. And, as the game continues to get more competitive, it is likely that both basketball teams in the U.S. and abroad will look for different ways to use data collection to improve game strategy.

"Getting a financial boost from some big names in B-ball also doesn't hurt. During their initial rounds of funding, ShotTracker has brought on both Basketball Hall of Famer Earvin “Magic” Johnson, and longtime NBA commissioner David Stern as investors."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyfrye/2018/05/16/new-tech-in-basketball-may-give-teams-more-edge/#1597f385456d

The article contains more, and is linked to a video.

It will be interesting to see if, and when, Gonzaga decides to invest in such a system.

Heat maps on 'roids.

webspinnre
05-16-2018, 11:38 AM
This kind of advanced analytics is picking up more and more across sports. Whether or not this tracking system will be the one to come out on top is hard to say, but something like it will certainly be used in the coming years.

willandi
05-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Magic is a good thing, but David Stern is a hypocritical lying b*****d, and I hope the project fails and he loses a bundle.

Nothing personal. I just think he elevates pond scum to heights it never dreamed of, and hides beneath it.

bigblahla
05-16-2018, 03:06 PM
So a coach needs a computer to tell him where his team is getting beat in a game and where they are having success.... this is not baseball.... overkill to the max.... the issue is the guy with the ball and no computer is going to fix that in a game. So a computer is going to tell the coach the shot is too flat if it bounces off the front of the rim? Brilliant concept, guess coaches don't need to watch the games anymore, let the computer do it.... sounds like a bust to me but then I turned down being Nintendo's So Cal rep when they got here in the 80's ....told them video games wouldn't catch on ....ha ha, ha, ha.... life is a great teacher...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

soccerdud
05-16-2018, 03:27 PM
So a coach needs a computer to tell him where his team is getting beat in a game and where they are having success.... this is not baseball.... overkill to the max.... the issue is the guy with the ball and no computer is going to fix that in a game. So a computer is going to tell the coach the shot is too flat if it bounces off the front of the rim? Brilliant concept, guess coaches don't need to watch the games anymore, let the computer do it.... sounds like a bust to me but then I turned down being Nintendo's So Cal rep when they got here in the 80's ....told them video games wouldn't catch on ....ha ha, ha, ha.... life is a great teacher...

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

sounds like you've been mad at computers for awhile now...

Coach Crazy
05-16-2018, 05:36 PM

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

Actually, no. Currently, advanced stats give a great deal of understanding that weren't available in previous era's of sports. In basketball, however, there are still holes. For instance, USG% doesn't take into account the amount of time the player is in possession of the ball. With this, it sounds like it might be possible. In fact, with the right understanding, you might be able to construct metrics of your own, track them, and adjust accordingly. That's huge.

Another great example is advanced defensive metrics. Imagine being able to find out dive deeper and find out what is because of the individual's contributions, and what is due to the compensation of the team's overall scheme, execution, etc.?

You criticize this, but are you against video scouting? How about determining roles and playing time based on statistical output? I take it you feel it's absurd to start players that score, rebound, and dish assists at a higher rate?

bballbeachbum
05-18-2018, 09:21 AM
another tool, nothing wrong with that imo
but, for example, if you want to understand an individual's contributions defensively, just watch the video, it's all there, in depth and detail.
as a supplement, advanced metrics can help illuminate, and they're awesome for water cooler conversation, but there's nothing like the video for full disclosure, and stretching that point, the ability of decision makers to SEE the game, especially in real time. advanced metrics can help prepare for tendencies, etc. so one's vision is tuned into certain stations, but you still have to see.
bigblahla, I think I get your point ;)

Coach Crazy
05-18-2018, 09:42 AM
another tool, nothing wrong with that imo
but, for example, if you want to understand an individual's contributions defensively, just watch the video, it's all there, in depth and detail.
as a supplement, advanced metrics can help illuminate, and they're awesome for water cooler conversation, but there's nothing like the video for full disclosure, and stretching that point, the ability of decision makers to SEE the game, especially in real time. advanced metrics can help prepare for tendencies, etc. so one's vision is tuned into certain stations, but you still have to see.
bigblahla, I think I get your point ;)

You need both, though. You can see all you want, but you need to make sure that what you see reconciles with what was actually happening. And if not, you need to be able justify why. That kind of critical thinking makes for a better all-around coach.

bballbeachbum
05-18-2018, 10:06 AM
You need both, though. You can see all you want, but you need to make sure that what you see reconciles with what was actually happening. And if not, you need to be able justify why. That kind of critical thinking makes for a better all-around coach.

it's another tool, nothing wrong with that
nothing replaces the ability to see the game however (and in real time)
that's all, agreeing with bigblahla on that point specifically in the advanced metrics discussion, like in watching and understanding defenses, for example

edit: and advanced metrics add value in the scouting pieces no doubt, self scouting, opponent scouting...it has value