PDA

View Full Version : 2019 NBA Draft

raise the zag
05-14-2018, 06:19 AM
SI releases their Top-30 prospects for next season i.e. Mock Draft. Fair assessment:

RUI HACHIMURA, F, GONZAGA | SOPHOMORE

Height: 6'8" | Weight: 225 | Age: 20

Some around the league speculated Hachimura may have had a chance to sneak into the back end of the 2018 lottery had he stayed in the draft. Instead, he’ll return to a loaded Gonzaga team that should have a strong shot at the Final Four. A powerful athlete and finisher who should be able to play both forward spots, Hachimura has clear NBA-caliber tools even though he's still raw in several areas. He stands to refine his game off the dribble, and NBA teams will be looking for him to take a step forward as a shooter (he has a capable mid-range game and shot 79% from the line, but made just five of 26 three-point attempts this season).

KILLIAN TILLIE, F, GONZAGA | SOPHOMORE

Height: 6'10" | Weight: 215 | Age: 20

Gonzaga will be as heavily scouted as any team on the West Coast this fall, and Tillie—after making 47% of his threes this season—stands to benefit. There is concern about his slight body type and ability to bang inside, but the Frenchman is highly skilled and a more athletic leaper than you think. With his size and shooting stroke he‘ll have a definite opportunity to succeed in the pros. Next season will be about rounding out his game, making a more consistent scoring impact, and convincing scouts he’ll be able to defend enough to make it.

Bottom line -- Killian must show better consistency, including sustained effort on both sides of the floor. Rui must improve his shooting and court awareness. Rui is probably a shoe-in for Top-10, yet Killian has a chance at Lottery pick, or Top-20 as long as each rounds out their respective games.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/05/11/nba-draft-2019-prospect-rankings-rj-barrett-zion-williamson (https://www.si.com/nba/2018/05/11/nba-draft-2019-prospect-rankings-rj-barrett-zion-williamson)

raise the zag
05-14-2018, 06:23 AM
--Rui Hachimura

Overview

Hachimura is a physical specimen who shows flashes of big time upside. He has all the physical tools
to be a big time player and is starting to put it all together on the court.

Strengths

Rui has an NBA build with great strength, long arms and awesome coordination
A menace in transition who can out run most other players on the floor
Has a really strong dribble drive game, using his bulk and quickness to get into the lane
Scores well in the lane and has a relentless motor on the offensive glass
Can rip and run, taking the defensive rebound and turning it into transition
Has become a solid free throw shooter
Has all the tools to be a standout defender with switch-ability

Weaknesses

Very limited range on his jumper and isn't a threat from 3 point land
Could take some time to impact in the NBA
Lacks consistency. Will light it up one game and disappear the next

Comparisons

Reminds of a stronger Wilson Chandler

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2019-nba-mock-draft.html (http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2019-nba-mock-draft.html)

No. 9: F Rui Hachimura, Gonzaga

Hachimura flashed in a big method to the end of the time. The Gonzaga forward is nonetheless a bit uncooked, and appears to be discovering the exercise. It isnít uncommon for Hachimura to look lacking on a carry out, then seem up with an fantastic take part in on the next possession. Hachimura skilled a later begin out than a lot of the players heís competing versus, and an NBA workforce might snatch him up observing his doubtless with a handful of a few years of NBA teaching. The Japanese ahead might have had the best effectiveness of the interval within the Candy 16 of the NCAA event the place he dropped 25 elements on Ohio Level out.

jazzdelmar
05-14-2018, 06:25 AM
Rui at #9 a bit high for now; Tils at #26 a bit low. Mostly freshmen on the list. A fun exercise but not much on substance at this point. At least they have not found Norvell yet; or Clarke. Rui's FT percent is misleading. He dropped from mid 90s to 79. Shot poorly at the end of the year.

raise the zag
05-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Rui at #9 a bit high for now; Tils at #26 a bit low. Mostly freshmen on the list. A fun exercise but not much on substance at this point. At least they have not found Norvell yet; or Clarke. Rui's FT percent is misleading. He dropped from mid 90s to 79. Shot poorly at the end of the year.

Rui really struggled with foul trouble the more minutes he played.

He barely played vs UNCG, and nearly fouled out vs FSU.

I'm sure he'll clean this up, yet he's a guy we need for 30-35 mpg at 2 positions.

raise the zag
05-14-2018, 06:34 AM
A much, MUCH weaker/thinner draft next season. The top prospects from this year compared to next year are vastly different, more wild cards.

This draft has 3 7 footers in the top 10 who were considered generational type talents. 2019 class and current prospects has maybe 1 of those.

Incredibly smart to return by both, although sounds like Tillie had no choice given his injury.

mgadfly
05-14-2018, 07:36 AM

He did shoot poorly at the end of the year. But that was basically under the bright lights of the NCAA tournament which makes me wonder if it was nerves. He was 41-51 from February 1st to the end of the WCC tournament. Not 90% but pretty good nonetheless. Then he was 14-24 in the NCAAs and I think the game he finished 6-12 he started 1-7. Obviously a stretch like that kills your 90% chances, but other than one half of basketball he was still a really good free throw shooter.

Mojo13
05-14-2018, 08:17 AM
He did shoot poorly at the end of the year. But that was basically under the bright lights of the NCAA tournament which makes me wonder if it was nerves. He was 41-51 from February 1st to the end of the WCC tournament. Not 90% but pretty good nonetheless. Then he was 14-24 in the NCAAs and I think the game he finished 6-12 he started 1-7. Obviously a stretch like that kills your 90% chances, but other than one half of basketball he was still a really good free throw shooter.

Any of you think Brandon Clarke has an NBA future? Tough to tell yet of course, but any inside info on how he compares to Tillie and Rui?

Coach Crazy
05-14-2018, 09:46 AM
Any of you think Brandon Clarke has an NBA future? Tough to tell yet of course, but any inside info on how he compares to Tillie and Rui?

Without a 3-point shot, no. He's more fluid and athletic than Tillie.

willandi
05-14-2018, 09:56 AM
Without a 3-point shot, no. He's more fluid and athletic than Tillie.

Unless he rebounds like Rodman. If he averages close to a double/double with boards in the upper teens-low twenty's, and 10-15 points/game, he has a legit shot.

raise the zag
05-14-2018, 10:27 AM

Clarke is a stud at the college level. Can fly around, swat shots, rebound, tough, always finds a seam or opening, very active on put backs, dunks, in the lane.

But tell me a position he would or could play in the NBA?

6'8", 215lbs are the size of many guards, and wings these days.

Clarke has no 3pt shot. Very little dribble drive perimeter game, etc.

Has an active bouncy PF game in a SF, even SG body.

As dominant as he can be, he is quite thin in the legs & torso, so not strong enough to compensate either.

Having said that, Brandon is the perfect hybrid forward for the college level. I expect him to have a great future here, and instantly one of our best overall players. A terrific replacement for J3.

CDC84
05-14-2018, 10:31 AM
Clarke is also not a good foul shooter. I hope the staff worked hard on that during his redshirt year.

Coach Crazy
05-14-2018, 10:33 AM
Clarke is a stud at the college level. Can fly around, swat shots, rebound, tough, always finds a seam or opening, very active on put backs, dunks, in the lane.

As dominant as he can be, he is quite thin in the legs & torso, so not strong enough to compensate either.

Having said that, Brandon is the perfect hybrid forward for the college level. I expect him to have a great future here, and instantly one of our best overall players. A terrific replacement for J3.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

Bogozags
05-14-2018, 05:53 PM

RTZ, your comments are all pretty darn accurate but it will be interesting to see how much improvement he has made this past season in the KO Klinik...I would think that before he came to GU he knew of his weaknesses and would endeavor to correct many if not all or at least be working hard to eliminate as many as he can. We would all like to seem him put on 20-30lbs as well as improve his FT shooting and develop a 3pt shot, similar to what Domantas had before he left for the NBA...

As far as a replacement for JW3, time will tell but my guess he will be a step up in class...JMHO

Mojo13
05-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

Thanks - interesting.

My counter is there is a quickly growing role for elite rim running PnR finishers in the league ala Clint Capela and Dwight Powell. Especially if they can play D and protect the rim (Powell isn't even great at that). Both those guys are bigger than Clarke, but there could be a place for him if he bulks up just a little as a quick PF who plays off a C with range (like KO or Jokic). You are like right that the size is a major concern though.

The league has definitely gotten smaller and faster. Quick feet and an ability to switch is seemingly more important in a PF than the bulk to defend the post (no one posts up anymore). We are seeing more and more, that speed and IQ are more important than size. Larry Nance Jr. (6'9, 220) is another example for Clarke (I am fairly sure Nance is not 6'9 too as I have met him numerous times - seems like 6'7). His range is pretty poor coming into the league, but his speed, defense, and effort is fantastic. How far off is Clarke from Nance Jr?

Khem Birch (6'9, 220) would be another good example. It took him a few years to get there, but he was pretty good for Orlando this year as a C. His energy, effort and defense really changed games. Orlando was even trying him out as a PF. He has very little range, but great speed and defensive instincts.

maynard g krebs
05-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Thanks - interesting.

My counter is there is a quickly growing role for elite rim running PnR finishers in the league ala Clint Capela and Dwight Powell. Especially if they can play D and protect the rim (Powell isn't even great at that). Both those guys are bigger than Clarke, but there could be a place for him if he bulks up just a little as a quick PF who plays off a C with range (like KO or Jokic). You are like right that the size is a major concern though.

The league has definitely gotten smaller and faster. Quick feet and an ability to switch is seemingly more important in a PF than the bulk to defend the post (no one posts up anymore). We are seeing more and more, that speed and IQ are more important than size. Larry Nance Jr. (6'9, 220) is another example for Clarke (I am fairly sure Nance is not 6'9 too as I have met him numerous times - seems like 6'7). His range is pretty poor coming into the league, but his speed, defense, and effort is fantastic. How far off is Clarke from Nance Jr?

Khem Birch (6'9, 220) would be another good example. It took him a few years to get there, but he was pretty good for Orlando this year as a C. His energy, effort and defense really changed games. Orlando was even trying him out as a PF. He has very little range, but great speed and defensive instincts.

Sounds like Jordan Bell as well.