PDA

View Full Version : 10 Years After Bursting Onto the National Scene

ZagNative
11-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Sports Illustrated (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/wires/11/01/2060.ap.bkc.gonzaga.s.decade.1249/)

Gonzaga refuses to leave the spotlight
Posted: Thursday Nov 1, 2007 5:59 PM

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - Not many people noticed what happened at the Top of the World Classic in November 1997. After all, the tournament doesn't draw much attention.

But those three days in Fairbanks, Alaska, could be considered the start to the "Gonzaga Decade.''

The Zags have been downright dominant in the West Coast Conference over the 10 years, going 122-18 and winning 10 straight league titles. Since 1992, the Zags have the most wins and highest winning percentage of any program on the West Coast, topping UCLA and Stanford. In this century, their overall winning percentage of .791 is second nationally only to Duke's .824.

Wow. GoZags probably had the bolded phrase in his little Zags kit bag, but I sure didn't know it.

Great article. ;)

MDABE80
11-01-2007, 03:00 PM
It's really quite the article. Grear find ZN. This is the type of article that just makes nonzag people furious with envy. Oh well.........Few and staff deserve this type of article. I'm sure that during the season or when one of the guys acts up, this is the type of article that puts things in perspective.
These guys have busted their asses for this program. They invest their time and must forego many things in their lives.......just to produce the product they love and believe in.
In some ways, this is one of the rare communities where this could be done. The press praises but keeps it's distance. The schools are great and it's a great city to raise a family in. The University Admin supports but the alumni doesn't get in the way. We're all lucky to see this program and community unfold. Some may take issue with my thoughts but I'm grateful to see it. Well, enough of my sappy thoughts....we're lucky though. I dunno any other place where this has happened though.

ZagNative
11-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Another bit about the Zags program from the same issue of SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/wires/11/01/2060.ap.bkc.determined.davidson.0869/):

Curry-led Davidson has the ingredients to be the next mid-major surprise
Posted: Thursday Nov 1, 2007 6:03 PM

... In an era when the small schools are knocking off the big boys with great regularity, the Wildcats think it's their turn.
McKillop, entering his 19th season, wanted to challenge his players. He's also been demanding in preseason practices as the up-tempo Wildcats try to become the next breakthrough team, the goal of every school at their level since George Mason's run to the Final Four in 2006.

McKillop has eyed Gonzaga, Southern Illinois and Butler as the programs to emulate.

"They've proved consistently that they've been able to keep their head above water,'' he said. "The margin for error is ever so slight at the mid-major and low-major level.'

Section 116
11-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I have yet to read anything about the Zags written by Nick Geranios that I haven't enjoyed. Nick works for the AP in Spokane and although he covers all kinds of news, he does a nice job with sports, particularly the Zags. One part of the piece I find right on is the community of about 450,000 being wild about the Zags. As the beginning of the season draws nearer and nearer you can almost feel the anticipation in the air. I have friends who are in no way sports fans to any degree but they love the Zags and basketball night is appointment TV for them. That to me is testament to the tremendous drawing power and love for the Zags existing in Spokane and eastern Washington.

ZagNative
11-01-2007, 03:22 PM
My sister has a friend who lives in a building that provides housing for the elderly, and her friend said that during Gonzaga games, all the old ladies rendezvous out in the hall at half-time to excitedly discuss the game they've just been watching. I love that! The vision of white-haired grannies bumping aluminum walkers with their friends to talk Zags out in the hall!

Edited to add: Section 116, where did you find Nick Geranios' byline in that story? I looked for one and thought it was weird I couldn't find it. Still can't. I agree, though. Geranios is credible in his coverage of the Zags.

Reborn
11-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Great article. Very good posts, good thread to get ZagNation for the first game. And I often wonder why so many in ZagNation still refuse to see the Zags as an Elite basketball program. I am even more convinced after the '08 recruiting class that GU is worthy of that Classification. Few and staff did a great job of recruiting this summer. The second great season in a row.

Go Zags!!!.......And The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

ZagNative
11-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Never mind, Section. I see now that SI picked up the story from the AP but didn't credit either the AP or the reporter.

Robzagnut
11-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Great article. Thanks for posting it.

"Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"

lawzag
11-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Awesome find as usual ZN.
Interesting that my weekly "SI" update e-mail didn't contain the story...:(
But, you found it for me :)

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
11-01-2007, 09:05 PM
I have yet to read anything about the Zags written by Nick Geranios that I haven't enjoyed. Nick works for the AP in Spokane and although he covers all kinds of news, he does a nice job with sports, particularly the Zags. One part of the piece I find right on is the community of about 450,000 being wild about the Zags. As the beginning of the season draws nearer and nearer you can almost feel the anticipation in the air. I have friends who are in no way sports fans to any degree but they love the Zags and basketball night is appointment TV for them. That to me is testament to the tremendous drawing power and love for the Zags existing in Spokane and eastern Washington.

Exactly...When my family's not at games we're at friends, restaurants with the community or family's houses (we don't have a TV) watching the Zags....nothing like it this town loves the zags, and it's great to see.

zaguarxj
11-02-2007, 07:27 AM
I have yet to read anything about the Zags written by Nick Geranios that I haven't enjoyed. Nick works for the AP in Spokane and although he covers all kinds of news, he does a nice job with sports, particularly the Zags.

Thanks for pointing out the byline. I've had a beer or two with Nick but didn't know he wrote about the Zags.

spokane86
11-02-2007, 11:55 AM
10 years. 10 YEARS! And I still get chills anytime I see, hear, or read about Gonzaga in the national media. I love this insitution!