PDA

View Full Version : Currently on the Athletic

jazzdelmar
05-10-2018, 04:02 PM
Now posted on the Athletic.....”The Zags entered last season with surprisingly low expectations, as they weren’t even picked to win the WCC. This year, they should be in the preseason top 10 and possibly the top five. “With everything we have coming back, we should definitely be in conversations,” Few says. “But conversations are one thing, and getting it done is another. We just need to put our heads down, enjoy the process and keep getting better and better.”

It’s hard to imagine things going much better for Gonzaga than the way they have started this offseason.”

——————

NBA scouts are intrigued by the versatility and pro-ready skills of the 6-foot-10 Tillie and the 6-8 Hachimura. Tillie, a Frenchman whose family is full of volleyball stars, averaged 12.9 points last season and shot a team-best 47.9 percent on 3s. He was sorely missed in the team’s Sweet 16 loss to Florida State, when he aggravated a hip injury in pregame warmups. Tillie is still rehabbing the injury and would have been unable to work out for scouts this spring. Hachimura, the Japanese-born bouncy athlete, was one of the most improved players in the country last season after he acclimated to his new country and culture. If he can improve his perimeter shooting — he made just four 3-pointers on 14 attempts as a sophomore — he could be an All-America candidate. “He’s really been putting some good time in on that,” Few says. “He’s already a much better shooter than he was when the season ended.”

Link: https://theathletic.com/346679/2018/05/10/after-flirting-with-the-mountain-west-gonzaga-got-what-it-wanted-and-the-pieces-are-in-place-for-a-big-year/

Zaga
05-11-2018, 04:37 AM
Whoa Nellie.....Zags will be fun to watch. Enjoy Maui Jazz, should be a great tourney!

Go Zags!!

sittingon50
05-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Thanks jazz.

FuManShoes
05-12-2018, 07:20 AM
Had it been reported before that the reallocated NCAA Tourney payments would be made retroactive to 2011, meaning the Zags are getting back a few million?

JPtheBeasta
05-12-2018, 07:44 AM
Had it been reported before that the reallocated NCAA Tourney payments would be made retroactive to 2011, meaning the Zags are getting back a few million?

I vote that they spend some of that money on Rem Bakamus and make him a PR guy- if nothing else, head handshake and sideline celebration coach. I follow him on Twitter and he’s as entertaining as ever.

TexasZagFan
05-12-2018, 08:43 AM

I’d be interested in the mechanics of those payments. Wouldn’t the reallocated funds be received in future years, while reducing the payout to other schools?

Bogozags
05-13-2018, 04:48 AM
I’d be interested in the mechanics of those payments. Wouldn’t the reallocated funds be received in future years, while reducing the payout to other schools?

From my understanding I think you're right...pretty darn hard to "go back" and get money already spent/committed from WCC schools...% amounts of future payments will change for GU

thebigsmoove
05-13-2018, 08:00 AM
From my understanding I think you're right...pretty darn hard to "go back" and get money already spent/committed from WCC schools...% amounts of future payments will change for GU

Tourney payments are made over several years, so i beleive it just means our percentage of existing tourney revenue will increase for all years still on the books. Its not like a clawback.

FuManShoes
05-13-2018, 08:05 PM
This sounds like a clawback, otherwise the ability for Gonzaga to be repaid would be contingent on their or others future success:

In November, university presidents approved an even more significant change that should benefit the Bulldogs. The conference agreed to alter its NCAA Tournament distribution model, allowing Gonzaga — or any other program — to keep a higher portion of its earnings from advancing deep into March. Though both the conference and Gonzaga declined to reveal specific numbers, the WCC made this change retroactive to 2011, when BYU joined as a member. That means Gonzaga will recoup millions from its NCAA runs, including its championship game appearance in 2017. By gaining five NCAA tournament units that year, the Zags made about $8.5 million for the WCC. Yet it received only a sliver of that in return from the conference, while postseason strangers such as Santa Clara and San Francisco cashed in. Not anymore. “It’s not a secret that Gonzaga has wanted some of these things for a long time,” Tourial says. “They’ve been pushing everybody else to commit and get better.”