PDA

View Full Version : Ike Obiagu

Coach Crazy
05-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Good call to make https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180510/e5e73763ba2f07b3aab8e2cc3230b97e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zagceo
05-10-2018, 01:35 PM
would sit for a year....but huge rim protector

Obiagu started 14 games last season and led the team in blocked shots with 71, including 25 over the final eight games. He averaged 2.3 points and 2.6 rebounds.

Coach Crazy
05-10-2018, 01:49 PM
would sit for a year....but huge rim protector

His offense needs a lot of work. But GU is a great place to develop those power moves and lower the TO's. Nonetheless, he posted a 12.3 DPBM. That's ridiculous. That's stupid ridiculous. A year with Coach Daniels could make him at least a break-even offensive player. But no reason to get too worked up about this until there is more than just a "reached out also".

OntZags
05-10-2018, 01:57 PM
His BPMs are insane.

Seems incredibly raw but that makes him a great candidate for the a year in the clinic. I don't know that they can develop him into a great offensive guy but he can become a monster defensively.

I'd hate to have to force Jones out of his scholarship (could he still revert as a Walkon? I'm unsure on those rules) if we landed him and an immediately eligible guard but it'd be hard to pass up. I do love Jeremy as an experienced glue guy for next season who can be an insurance policy and battle hard in practice.

Coach Crazy
05-10-2018, 02:00 PM
His BPMs are insane.

Seems incredibly raw but that makes him a great candidate for the a year in the clinic. I don't know that they can develop him into a great offensive guy but he can become a monster defensively.

I'd hate to have to force Jones out of his scholarship (could he still revert as a Walkon? I'm unsure on those rules) if we landed him and an immediately eligible guard but it'd be hard to pass up. I do love Jeremy as an experienced glue guy for next season who can be an insurance policy and battle hard in practice.

Yeah, I can't think of a player that is that dialectical, statistically? Such polar opposites. And I agree...I don't think you expect him to be a great offensive player, but if he's even serviceable...well, we've seen first hand what kind of a disrupter he can be on the defensive end. Has this team ever had a defensive player with a BPM that high? I think the last one was Mike Hart at like 8 or so?

sittingon50
05-10-2018, 02:31 PM
Don't know the #'s Coach, but I sure have a fond spot in my heart for Abdullah Kuso. He was very limited offensively (cleaning up around the rim) but boy could he rebound out of his area & alter shots. Would take one kid on the roster like that EVERY year.

maynard g krebs
05-10-2018, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I can't think of a player that is that dialectical, statistically?

You might want to look up the word dialectical. I don't think it fits unless you're talking about how he does in philosophy class.

Coach Crazy
05-10-2018, 03:00 PM
You might want to look up the word dialectical. I don't think it fits unless you're talking about how he does in philosophy class.

"the juxtaposition or interaction of conflicting ideas, forces, etc."

soccerdud
05-10-2018, 03:05 PM

maybe we're undertaking a Socratic examination into whether Ogbiagu's play reflects the form of the good?

eta: and if your eyes didn't glaze over reading that, you probably had fr. ryan (rip) for fun101.

Coach Crazy
05-10-2018, 03:17 PM
maybe we're undertaking a Socratic examination into whether Ogbiagu's play reflects the form of the good?

eta: and if your eyes didn't glaze over reading that, you probably had fr. ryan (rip) for fun101.

His defense, yes. His offense, no.

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2018, 03:26 PM
Good call to make https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180510/e5e73763ba2f07b3aab8e2cc3230b97e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was already discussed in the transfer thread, y'now, the thread where we discuss transfers. Not sure why there are redundant threads. Mods please merge this into the transfer thread. Thanks

Ike Obiagbu, 7 footer from Florida State transferring. He had 4 points and 6 rebounds in 10 minutes against us.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401025874

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?63068-transfer-thread-take-three/page4

MDABE80
05-10-2018, 04:41 PM
Just get him here!

Coach Crazy
05-10-2018, 04:55 PM
Was already discussed in the transfer thread, y'now, the thread where we discuss transfers. Not sure why there are redundant threads. Mods please merge this into the transfer thread. Thanks

Ike Obiagbu, 7 footer from Florida State transferring. He had 4 points and 6 rebounds in 10 minutes against us.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401025874

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?63068-transfer-thread-take-three/page4

It's the off-season. We don't need board maids during these very low news cycles. And he did that in 10 minutes. If you had a 5 that could put a 92.5 ORtg and a 12.3 DBPM in 20 minutes a night, you're jumping all over that. Offense need work? Yes, very much. But we're talking about DD. If he even reached even half of J3's level of value on offense, you take it.

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-10-2018, 05:06 PM
It's the off-season. We don't need board maids during these very low news cycles.

:mecry: It’s funny cause it’s true! I say that as someone who is an occasional board maid, sheriff myself.

OntZags
05-10-2018, 06:12 PM
It's the off-season. We don't need board maids during these very low news cycles. And he did that in 10 minutes. If you had a 5 that could put a 92.5 ORtg and a 12.3 DBPM in 20 minutes a night, you're jumping all over that. Offense need work? Yes, very much. But we're talking about DD. If he even reached even half of J3's level of value on offense, you take it.

Definitely agree here. Offseason is slow, no need to fret over excess threads these days. Ike is a very interesting prospect that we are now being officially linked to.

I couldn't help but think about his utility even during his redshirt season. I think we can all agree next season looks like the best opportunity to really make a run (though obviously the cupboard is far from bare and future teams will be great too) and having a guy like Ike in their during practices would really give our guys experience battling against an elite rim protector. Can't hurt come March. (impossible to quantify how much it helped but I'm sure battling NWG & JW3 helped that 2016 team go on a nice run)

Also, couldn't hurt for Gonzaga to kind of get the foot in the door in the Africa game, too. For all of GU's international recruiting acumen, Africa remains untapped. Now I understand there is kind of more b.s. and difficulties getting kids out of there but it is another developing area that is producing some high potential kids. I think the general diversity that we often see with GU teams could be a boon in potentially getting in on some of these kids down the line.

maynard g krebs
05-10-2018, 06:21 PM

"According to Aristotle, Zeno of Elea "invented" dialectic, the art of disputation by question and answer, while Plato developed it metaphysically in connexion with his doctrine of "ideas" as the art of analysing ideas in themselves and their relation to the ultimate idea of the good".

Hey, it's the off season.

Coach Crazy
05-10-2018, 06:24 PM
Definitely agree here. Offseason is slow, no need to fret over excess threads these days. Ike is a very interesting prospect that we are now being officially linked to.

I couldn't help but think about his utility even during his redshirt season. I think we can all agree next season looks like the best opportunity to really make a run (though obviously the cupboard is far from bare and future teams will be great too) and having a guy like Ike in their during practices would really give our guys experience battling against an elite rim protector. Can't hurt come March. (impossible to quantify how much it helped but I'm sure battling NWG & JW3 helped that 2016 team go on a nice run)

Also, couldn't hurt for Gonzaga to kind of get the foot in the door in the Africa game, too. For all of GU's international recruiting acumen, Africa remains untapped. Now I understand there is kind of more b.s. and difficulties getting kids out of there but it is another developing area that is producing some high potential kids. I think the general diversity that we often see with GU teams could be a boon in potentially getting in on some of these kids down the line.

Definitely can't hurt. And while players with little offensive game present a bit of an issue with advanced metrics when it comes to judging true overall value, players like this just change the game. It's not Mt. Shem, but players know when a guy like that is roaming the front line. And he is mobile enough to use as a secondary/weak side shot blocker if you need to play a 5 like Larsen at the same time. Players with his length, height, and skill are also great for fronting the post, and if somehow you get the pass through, he's got the athleticism to recover and make a play.

Not gonna get my hopes up, but will be looking out for more info.

jazzdelmar
05-10-2018, 07:19 PM
They’re more like schoolmarms.

JPtheBeasta
05-10-2018, 10:04 PM
I propose that every thread be merged together to ensure that every post stays on topic.

Worthington
05-10-2018, 10:39 PM
Would love to see how Few would utilize a player like Obiagu. Landing a guy like this would be another step in the evolution of the program, he's truly a special athlete and shot blocker

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-11-2018, 03:33 AM
I didn’t realize he was only a freshman this season. One year in the Olynyk Clinic of honing his game and playing D in practice vs Tillie, Clarke, Rui then major role for Zags his RS sophomore year after Zags very likely lose 2 of 3 key bigs. 2019-20 big rotation of Clarke, Obiagu, Petrusev and Larsen (assuming Tillie goes pro and either Rui does too or Rui stays and dominates at the 3). Nicey. I sure hope Zags get him in for a visit.

Goshzagit
05-11-2018, 09:52 AM
I mean he has Obiagu in his name.

Meant to be?

sittingon50
05-11-2018, 10:18 AM
I propose that every thread be merged together to ensure that every post stays on topic.

No way!! Don't want to wade through all the basketball crap when all I'm really interested in is tacos.

packlite
05-11-2018, 10:31 AM
No way!! Don't want to wade through all the basketball crap when all I'm really interested in is tacos.

Finally, the real situation is revealed :)

MDABE80
05-11-2018, 11:28 AM
Given the situation for 2019-20 underneath, he'd be a great player for us. Clogging lanes, the key, rebounds well and is great from inside 5 ft. Size is not an issue. We need someone like this . Doesn't have to be a fulltime guy but he'd help. Give him a year with the training we have at GU, and he'd be a good contributor.