PDA

View Full Version : Joe Cremo c'mon down, you're the next contestant on "Who wants to be a Zags pg?"

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 04:24 PM
Let's getter done!

DixieZag
05-05-2018, 05:06 PM
he has already visited Villanova and Kansas, and apparently they have openings, too.

I do not believe that he was waiting to see if our spot "opened-up" - though it would be nice if he were to show some interest, I haven't seen a thing to indicate that he's considered us.

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 05:11 PM
he has already visited Villanova and Kansas, and apparently they have openings, too.

I do not believe that he was waiting to see if our spot "opened-up" - though it would be nice if he were to show some interest, I haven't seen a thing to indicate that he's considered us.

Kansas signed the #3 pg and Nova the #5

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighScho ol&Position=PG

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 05:12 PM

Cremo just announced his new Top 5, and said 'no particular order'.

Texas
Nova
Kansas
Creighton
Gonzaga

Zagdawg
05-05-2018, 05:13 PM
Lets bring dix up to speed on Zag recruiting.

"Joe Cremo, the most-sought after graduate transfer in college basketball this postseason, has a final recruiting list of “Creighton, Texas, Villanova, Kansas and Gonzaga in no order,” the 6-foot-4, 185-pound junior from University at Albany told The Star on Tuesday night in a text message."

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article210263449.html

Zagceo
05-05-2018, 05:21 PM
What does Joe want as a grad xfer?

Chance for Natty?

Gonzaga Villanova Kansas

Zagdawg
05-05-2018, 05:26 PM
“I’m just trying to figure out the best place that fits me. For me, I know nothing is guaranteed but just the chance of having a big role on a team that is going to compete in the NCAA Tournament and then hopefully set myself for a chance to play after.”

raise the zag
05-05-2018, 05:41 PM
We have a great shot at Cremo.

Of his Top 5, we are the only school who didn't do an in-home visit, nor schedule a visit, and we were transparent/upfront about Brandon Williams active recruitment.

We are also the only school he has yet to visit, as we've been busy with Sean Miller's latest 5* recruit.

Having said all that, he STILL continually lists us.

Pretty obvious his interest. We have reached out yet interest has been pretty one-sided thus far. He would be a great fit. No requirement of PT, expectations, etc.

Would add a mature, committed, proven, hard working elite shooter and good all around player to the backcourt. This is needed!

He shared PG duties at Albany. Perfect. More than capable, and a really decisive, sharp passer as well.

Many have been "open" to him here yet many are also underestimating him.

His game is eerily similar to Jordan Mathews, altho Joe is a better finisher with the ball. It's the best comparison I can't think of. Some say Ravio but I don't see that at all. Maybe the shot but that's it. Cremo is unique. One of the most crafty guards I've seen in NCAA, esp given his lack of explosiveness.

As a fan...if he isn't on campus soon id be highly disappointed as it's obvious he likes us. Maybe he likes us too much perhaps?

Too bad we didn't get him here when the players were still around. No potlucks at Few for Joe. SMH.

23dpg
05-05-2018, 05:53 PM
I would love to have Cremo if he’s a Jordan Matthews comp, but that wouldn’t help us too much at the point.
As it stands, either Wade or Ayayi are going to have to step up and fill the roll of back up PG. (Thinking more of the ball handling than passing.)

raise the zag
05-05-2018, 06:09 PM
I would love to have Cremo if he’s a Jordan Matthews comp, but that wouldn’t help us too much at the point.
As it stands, either Wade or Ayayi are going to have to step up and fill the roll of back up PG. (Thinking more of the ball handling than passing.)

Similar styles and game, yet different roles.

Joe handled the PG duties much of the time. Shared with short, fast, athletic guy.

Cremo has averaged 4 assists per game the past 2 seasons, and even averaged 1.5 apg his frosh year.

The most assists per game Mathews averaged was 1.4.

Big difference.

Jordan Mathews style yet way more experience handling lead duties.

Joe held his own vs several big name D1 programs while playing PG.

We know Joe is clearly interested in us...but are we with him??

CDC84
05-05-2018, 06:26 PM
He doesn't solve the problem.

Gonzaga needs a super quick, athletic point guard who allows Josh to play off guard and who can break down Duke or Kansas' defense with a NBA-like drive into the lane with 5 seconds left on the shot clock in Minneapolis. A Nigel level talent with better upside for the next level.

Lots of teams can make the final 4, only a few can win it.

There is no better PG out there than Josh Perkins right now. The well is dry, unless somebody suddenly becomes a grad transfer who isn't a grad transfer right now.. Anyone else they get, at best, is a backup.

At least now we know Rui will definitely be starting at small forward next season. That was not going to occur if BWill had committed.

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 06:49 PM

Gonzaga needs a super quick, athletic point guard who allows Josh to play off guard and who can break down Duke or Kansas' defense with a NBA-like drive into the lane with 5 seconds left on the shot clock in Minneapolis. A Nigel level talent with better upside for the next level.

There is no better PG out there than Josh Perkins right now. The well is dry, unless somebody suddenly becomes a grad transfer who isn't a grad transfer right now.. Anyone else they get, at best, is a backup.

At least now we know Rui will definitely be starting at small forward next season. That was not going to occur if BWill had committed.

All I ask of you is to watch this in it's entirety, objectively. If you do, I think you'll change your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQWUW7MR0xY

23dpg
05-05-2018, 07:05 PM
All I ask of you is to watch this in it's entirety, objectively. If you do, I think you'll change your mind.

Impressive. Especially with his drives and finishes in the paint. Plus it looks like he uses his left hand pretty well.

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Impressive. Especially with his drives and finishes in the paint. Plus it looks like he uses his left hand pretty well.

Many against Louisville and Memphis, the very "athletic" type of teams that CDC was talking about. I just ask that he watches that objectively in its entirety.

cggonzaga
05-05-2018, 07:25 PM
I want Cremo but he’s not BWill. He’s more ZN, but what we really need is what CDC described. We need somebody that can dribble penetrate past their defender not just somebody strong enough to finish through their defender.

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 07:30 PM
I want Cremo but he’s not BWill. He’s more ZN, but what we really need is what CDC described. We need somebody that can dribble penetrate past their defender not just somebody strong enough to finish through their defender.

Please be honest: did you watch the reel?

Coach Crazy
05-05-2018, 08:02 PM

For the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cggonzaga
05-05-2018, 08:02 PM
Please be honest: did you watch the reel?

Haha ok spy I’ll be honest. Come on dude, get over yourself. I’m wondering if you’ve watched his reels. Like I said previously, I want him. But if you think he’s quick twitch, I’m not sure what to tell you.

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 08:11 PM
Haha ok spy I’ll be honest. Come on dude, get over yourself. I’m wondering if you’ve watched his reels. Like I said previously, I want him. But if you think he’s quick twitch, I’m not sure what to tell you.

I didn't say he's "quick twitch". I don't even know what that means. Were the Zags teams that put us on the map and made us a household name "quick twitch"? I want basketball players, not track stars.

Reborn
05-05-2018, 08:24 PM

I watched the video, and I agree that he is more Norvell than Perkins. I don't think he passed the ball once. The other thing about this video is almost all of his video and outside shots are set shots. I did not see a one or even a two dribble pull-up jumper either going right or left. Having a pull-up jumpger is mandatory in my opinion. I don't think we need a big scoring point guard this year. We need a back-up point guard who can run the offense and pass. I'm looking for someone who can run our offense part time, and probably very part time. Someone like Ayayi, Wade, or Foster. I like Foster's size, 6'7". I like Ayayi's speed and quickness. I've read that both of these guys like to play D. IMO we DO NOT NEED A SCORING GUARD. We need someone who can run an offense with authority and PASS. We have plenty of scorers on this team.

Go Zags!!!

Zagsker
05-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Haha ok spy Iíll be honest. Come on dude, get over yourself. Iím wondering if youíve watched his reels. Like I said previously, I want him. But if you think heís quick twitch, Iím not sure what to tell you.

Tell him he is pretty and buy him a drink...compliments and free drinks change minds

Zagsker
05-05-2018, 08:30 PM
I didn't say he's "quick twitch". I don't even know what that means...

PCP awareness...?

WallaWallaZag
05-05-2018, 08:32 PM

that clip didn't show me anything i didn't already know...he's a sniper who also has a good floater and can get to the rim occasionally. but did that clip show any ball handling or playmaking skills? nada...he doesn't fill a more pressing need...someone who can run the point...he's a nice to have, not a must have...imo

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 08:34 PM
I watched the video, and I agree that he is more Norvell than Perkins. I don't think he passed the ball once. The other thing about this video is almost all of his video and outside shots are set shots. I did not see a one or even a two dribble pull-up jumper either going right or left. Having a pull-up jumpger is mandatory in my opinion. I don't think we need a big scoring point guard this year. We need a back-up point guard who can run the offense and pass. I'm looking for someone who can run our offense part time, and probably very part time. Someone like Ayayi, Wade, or Foster. I like Foster's size, 6'7". I like Ayayi's speed and quickness. I've read that both of these guys like to play D. IMO we DO NOT NEED A SCORING GUARD. We need someone who can run an offense with authority and PASS. We have plenty of scorers on this team.

Go Zags!!!

All I have read here all off season is that we need combo guards, he is exactly that, but now no one wants him. I think he'd be a great addition as a backup to ZN and Perks, filling in for Perks until he's fully healthy, Cremo did average 4apg.

doctorzag
05-05-2018, 08:35 PM

Cremo would help this team a lot more than an over-rated primadonna like Williams. Williams being given the keys to run the team over a 5th year senior likely would not sit well with all the Zags. This could have been a chemistry killer for the team. Now Perkins can stick to the point and have one of the best shooters in college ball beside him. Cremo can spell him when he needs a blow.

Cremo is a proven commodity. Can shoot, drive , pass , rebound. His deadly 3pt shooting will open up the inside for Clarke and Tillie. Nobody is going to double off Cremo, Perkins or Norvell.
The Zags are going to be fine without Williams. They will be more than fine with Cremo.

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 08:43 PM
that clip didn't show me anything i didn't already know...he's a sniper who also has a good floater and can get to the rim occasionally. but did that clip show any ball handling or playmaking skills? nada...he doesn't fill a more pressing need...someone who can run the point...he's a nice to have, not a must have...imo

I agree with your post, but there's no one left that's better at the moment.

Zagger
05-05-2018, 08:45 PM
A little bird has told me there are two schools at the top of Cremo's list and one of them is in Spokane :)
No, I'm not going to divulge my passerine.

Reborn
05-05-2018, 08:59 PM
All I have read here all off season is that we need combo guards, he is exactly that, but now no one wants him. I think he'd be a great addition as a backup to ZN and Perks, filling in for Perks until he's fully healthy, Cremo did average 4apg.

Thanks for sharing that. Often the videos do not show the passing skills, and thanks for reminding me he did average 4 assists per game. My only concern is that what I saw on this one video is a set shooter, and honestly the level of defense that I see being played by the teams that make the NCAA tournament is ten times better than I saw on the video. Guards in the top 50 can really guard these days, and they don't give you much room to shoot set shots. The thing I do see is that he's a senior transfer with only one year left to play. He therefore has a lot of experience and if he would accept his role as backup, I am sure he could help the Zags a lot. The one problem would be learning the offense. I am still wondering how ready Ayayi is to play? More will be revealed.

Go Zags.

thespywhozaggedme
05-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Thanks for sharing that. Often the videos do not show the passing skills, and thanks for reminding me he did average 4 assists per game. My only concern is that what I saw on this one video is a set shooter, and honestly the level of defense that I see being played by the teams that make the NCAA tournament is ten times better than I saw on the video. Guards in the top 50 can really guard these days, and they don't give you much room to shoot set shots. The thing I do see is that he's a senior transfer with only one year left to play. He therefore has a lot of experience and if he would accept his role as backup, I am sure he could help the Zags a lot. The one problem would be learning the offense. I am still wondering how ready Ayayi is to play? More will be revealed.

Go Zags.

Half of that real was against a crazy athletic Louisville and he lit them up for something close to 30.

Reborn
05-05-2018, 09:18 PM
Half of that real was against a crazy athletic Louisville and he lit them up for something close to 30.

Wow! That's pretty impressive. He must be a pretty good driver because they were not guarding him closely. The video does show him attacking the basket with success and he does have a pull up jumper at about 6-8 feet, and a floater. I'm liking him more as I just discover that the team was Louisville.

Go Zags!!!

cggonzaga
05-05-2018, 09:39 PM
A little bird has told me there are two schools at the top of Cremo's list and one of them is in Spokane :)
No, I'm not going to divulge my passerine.

Had a feeling this was the case.

MDABE80
05-05-2018, 09:44 PM
A good team will make a good player better. Cremo's not exactly been on a superior top 20 squad. If we get him, he'll likely be most of what we want. No worries.

raise the zag
05-05-2018, 10:55 PM
Well, can't sag off him as both UNCG & FSU did vs one of our starting guards.

Who knows if Cremo even starts but he's the very best of what is left.

Some posters are treating it as if there is still a choice between Joe and some other elite PG option.

MDABE80
05-05-2018, 11:45 PM
Maybe not yet Raise.. something will be turning up soon.

tyra
05-06-2018, 04:31 AM
I will go to my grave failing to understand why these player highlight videos exclusively feature offensive play. The maker of these videos know there are two ends of the court, right?

jazzdelmar
05-06-2018, 04:43 AM
Just feels like the Cremo train has left the GU station....

cjm720
05-06-2018, 05:49 AM
Love his game but definitely not going to waste my personal energy. He hasn’t visited. Does he plan to? 4 power schools on his list too and we are the farthest west with no visit. Ain’t happening.

OntZags
05-06-2018, 06:20 AM
Just feels like the Cremo train has left the GU station....

We're only privy to so much info, who knows what's going on behind the scenes? The fact that he cut 2 schools to include Villanova/Kansas indicates to me that weve never lost contact and are still in the running.

We can offer a bigger role than Kansas with just as comparable title hopes. We can offer a bigger role than Nova if Donte returns and better title aspirations if he doesn't.

Bogozags
05-06-2018, 06:31 AM
Love his game but definitely not going to waste my personal energy. He hasn’t visited. Does he plan to? 4 power schools on his list too and we are the farthest west with no visit. Ain’t happening.

Aren'y we the pessimist! Unfortunately, I agree with you so guess I'm one as well...IF he visits then we can begin a meaningful discuss on the possibilities of him becoming a Zag...

Coach Crazy
05-06-2018, 07:35 AM
Well, can't sag off him as both UNCG & FSU did vs one of our starting guards.

Who knows if Cremo even starts but he's the very best of what is left.

Some posters are treating it as if there is still a choice between Joe and some other elite PG option.

Your first two statements are very much true. As far as your second, some of us are just taking positions out of principle. Saying that he is better than Brandon Williams will elicit a very strong position from me. Saying that he is something he is not will elicit a strong response from me. He very much is the best option left, at this point. He just doesn't accomplish the totality of what was needed. He's a less athletic Silas, with a better shot.

thespywhozaggedme
05-06-2018, 07:40 AM
Your first two statements are very much true. As far as your second, some of us are just taking positions out of principle. Saying that he is better than Brandon Williams will elicit a very strong position from me. Saying that he is something he is not will elicit a strong response from me. He very much is the best option left, at this point. He just doesn't accomplish the totality of what was needed. He's a less athletic Silas, with a better shot.

Much, much, much better and more consistent scorer than Silas.

Coach Crazy
05-06-2018, 07:41 AM
We're only privy to so much info, who knows what's going on behind the scenes? The fact that he cut 2 schools to include Villanova/Kansas indicates to me that weve never lost contact and are still in the running.

We can offer a bigger role than Kansas with just as comparable title hopes. We can offer a bigger role than Nova if Donte returns and better title aspirations if he doesn't.

Yeah. If he put us in the Top 5 without having visited AND....AND knowing that he was option number two, then there is something there. We have to remember, as well, this isn't a high school kid optimizing his brand recognition, or living up the process. This is a guy who isn't going to play in the NBA, and wants the opportunity to play in a place he will enjoy, can give him the role and time he is looking for, and a chance to win a ring. A Top 5 from a player like that is different from the Top 5 of a high school recruit. If you are in the Top 5 of the latter, this late in the game, there is a very strong chance you aren't even in the picture.

Coach Crazy
05-06-2018, 07:52 AM

Better scorer, yes. But not a better overall value. And I would be interested to see how a player like Silas would have done against competition that poor. But nonetheless, he's essentially going to be fulfilling a similar role. He'll have to up his game to bring the value Silas did, because Silas's defense was on another level. Of the players that get major minutes, Joe would be by far the worst defender.

thespywhozaggedme
05-06-2018, 07:52 AM
A guard rotation of Perks, Norvell, Cremo, Ayayi and Wade is a pretty decent consolation to losing out on BWill. Plus, if Perks isn't fully recovered by the beginning of the season, having a seasoned vet like Cremo step in isn't the worst thing. Yes his reel only shows his offensive prowess, but he did average 4apg and had 9 assists vs Binghampton, 7 assists vs UMBC, 9 assists vs Vermont and 9 assists vs Binghampton, not to mention 18 ppg on 46% from the field and 46% from three. The guys a darn goods player and I'm shocked how many posters are down on him.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3918721/joe-cremo

Mr Vulture
05-06-2018, 08:10 AM
A guard rotation of Perks, Norvell, Cremo, Ayayi and Wade is a pretty decent consolation to losing out on BWill. Plus, if Perks isn't fully recovered by the beginning of the season, having a seasoned vet like Cremo step in isn't the worst thing. Yes his reel only shows his offensive prowess, but he did average 4apg and had 9 assists vs Binghampton, 7 assists vs UMBC, 9 assists vs Vermont and 9 assists vs Binghampton, not to mention 18 ppg on 46% from the field and 46% from three. The guys a darn goods player and I'm shocked how many posters are down on him.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3918721/joe-cremo

How some are oblivious to reality. Of course it would be great to get a future NBA PG that can run the point, to bad those aren't out there at this point. Those saying no to Cremo and that his competition wasn't good enough make me laugh. Look at his Top 5 list that includes Mark Few, Bill Self, and Jay Wright. I think I'll trust there opinion as opposed to the Zag Board poster desiring a guy with "quick twitch" movements. Goodness...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cggonzaga
05-06-2018, 10:15 AM
I think I'll trust there opinion as opposed to the Zag Board poster desiring a guy with "quick twitch" movements. Goodness..

It’s “their” not “there”.

Are you referring to the same Mark Few that just put all his eggs in the “quick twitch” player’s basket? And since I have to apparently say this three times because the reading comprehension is so poor around here, I want Cremo. He adds value just not necessarily the value the staff was looking for.

raise the zag
05-06-2018, 10:34 AM
Better scorer, yes. But not a better overall value. And I would be interested to see how a player like Silas would have done against competition that poor. But nonetheless, he's essentially going to be fulfilling a similar role. He'll have to up his game to bring the value Silas did, because Silas's defense was on another level. Of the players that get major minutes, Joe would be by far the worst defender.

I fully agree and understand your concern, yet I thought this post applied from one of the many transfer threads awhile back (Cremo is just as efficient vs tougher teams):

Dunno, tough to project, yet Joe has serious skill. An elite shooter, plus handles, mixes it up, & finishes at the rim pretty darn well. Not the fastest player around, but is nifty, and uses spacing brilliantly.

Joe Cremo scored (pts, rebs, assts):

18, 5, & 3 vs Louisville

16, 5, & 3 vs Memphis

22, 10, & 5 vs Penn State

24, 6, & 1 vs Grand Canyon (athletic squad)

15, 5, & 2 vs SMU Mustangs

25, 9, & 1 vs UMBC Retrievers (1st 16 seed to beat a 1 seed)

All those teams are pretty 'athletic' and he played pretty solidly vs good competition. He is actively being recruited by legit schools as well.

I'd gladly welcome him aboard. He would be a great fit, a sniper, and can run offense to boot.

jazzdelmar
05-06-2018, 10:39 AM

That’s a low bar.

thespywhozaggedme
05-06-2018, 11:36 AM

Are you referring to the same Mark Few that just put all his eggs in the “quick twitch” player’s basket? And since I have to apparently say this three times because the reading comprehension is so poor around here, I want Cremo. He adds value just not necessarily the value the staff was looking for.

I do voice texting. Brandon Williams is gone,get over it.

cggonzaga
05-06-2018, 12:57 PM
I do voice texting. Brandon Williams is gone,get over it.

Not even talking to you spy. Again, get over yourself.

caldwellzag
05-06-2018, 02:20 PM
Thing that still gets me with Cremo is that we are still the team that hasn't set up a visit, haven't done an in home visit and we continue to make his top 5. Why? My opinion is because he sees how loaded we are and we have a true shot at a National Title next year and wants to hear more from us. We shall see.

Reborn
05-06-2018, 03:31 PM
I fully agree and understand your concern, yet I thought this post applied from one of the many transfer threads awhile back (Cremo is just as efficient vs tougher teams):

I like your post a lot. I like the statistics. We saw just a year ago how a Gonzaga transfer helped us. They always have. I have always liked them. They bring a lot to the program. Three years of D-1 experience is good, and to have played at a high level like he has is a plus. I'm going to get behind this one. Let's nab him Mark Few.

Go Zags!!!

GonzaGAW
05-06-2018, 04:13 PM
- I think we come in about 3rd place in this race.
- we have nothing to offer him that Villanova, Kansas, cant offer in way of tradition, coaching, possible final four team.
- and we are a long long ways from home base, east coast.

- like most, I hope we get him, but I'm not counting on it at all.
- my happy spot is just that Oregon is not on his top 5 list. take that ducks!

maynard g krebs
05-06-2018, 11:02 PM

According to wikipedia, researchers say that people with low self esteem are more likely to experience schadenfreude than people with high self esteem. Also, brain scans show that schadenfreude correlates with envy. I don't see why a Zag fan would envy Oregon, given that the Zags are the more accomplished program over the last couple of decades.

Reborn
05-07-2018, 05:33 AM
- I think we come in about 3rd place in this race.
- we have nothing to offer him that Villanova, Kansas, cant offer in way of tradition, coaching, possible final four team.
- and we are a long long ways from home base, east coast.

- like most, I hope we get him, but I'm not counting on it at all.

OMG! He lives on the East Coast? Have we ever recruited anyone East of Chicago?

jazzdelmar
05-07-2018, 05:45 AM

Yea, that superstar, can't miss prospect from Maine who lasted about 15 minutes. And those program changing, superstar transfers from Ville and PC.

willandi
05-07-2018, 06:17 AM

Sabonis, Tillie, Shem, Ayayi, Turiaf, Petro and the list goes on...all east of Chicago. Could include Rui, but I think of Japan as being to the west despite being the land where the sun rises first (Thanks Jackie Chan).
How about Pangos?

Or did you mean just in the states?

LongIslandZagFan
05-07-2018, 07:35 AM
Yea, that superstar, can't miss prospect from Maine who lasted about 15 minutes. And those program changing, superstar transfers from Ville and PC.

Never let a chance to rip a player pass, do you?

JPtheBeasta
05-07-2018, 08:16 AM

Iím fuzzy in the details, but I think Keegan Hyland was recruited when the Zags were lacking in 3 point shooting. Injuries derailed his career.

Edit:
His freshman team had Goodson, Carter, Arop, Stockton, Keita and Monninghoff. Gray was the only good shooter. For me that was the Dark Ages for Gonzaga basketball recruiting, which resulted in 2 walk-ons getting major minutes. The bigs were all from outside of ge U.S. (Harris, Sacre Olynyk). Itís amazing how for things have come.

Mr Vulture
05-07-2018, 09:33 AM

Good lord, get over yourself. I was on the Ipad and it was a system generated word. With that said, I wasn't directing it at anyone in particular. It was to the multiple posters talking down on the guy when those with much more value (coaches) think otherwise.

cggonzaga
05-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Good lord, get over yourself. I was on the Ipad and it was a system generated word. With that said, I wasn't directing it at anyone in particular. It was to the multiple posters talking down on the guy when those with much more value (coaches) think otherwise.

The first part was sarcastic. I forget you don’t do sarcasm.

I don’t recall posters talking down Cremo. I recall posters stating a preference between the two. As the staff showed, they clearly “preferred” one over the other.

Coach Crazy
05-07-2018, 10:33 AM

I don’t recall posters talking down Cremo. I recall posters stating a preference between the two. As the staff showed, they clearly “preferred” one over the other.

Careful. Don't be so reasonable. That gets you reamed, around here.

sittingon50
05-07-2018, 11:09 AM
OMG! Have we ever recruited anyone East of Chicago?

Anton Watson of Gonzaga Prep.

You have to go quite a ways East, however.

jazzdelmar
05-07-2018, 11:40 AM
Never let a chance to rip a player pass, do you?

I think I am more ripping the recruiting expertise, or lack of it.

Zagdawg
05-07-2018, 01:05 PM
Same recruiters who brought the kids who played in the championship game -- fortunately the staff are not all experts like a few on this board otherwise a couple fans would not have any recruits to complain about.

Mr Vulture
05-07-2018, 03:38 PM

The way it read didn't seem sarcastic, it seemed like coaching. I apologize if it was meant otherwise. As far a Cremo goes, he was getting talked down for an entire page plus after Williams didn't come.

ZagsObserver
05-07-2018, 06:39 PM
Staff is working with Cremo to get the visit in. Should happen. Would be a nice consolation prize, and might even create better team unity than bwil given age and experience gap.

GonzaGAW
05-07-2018, 06:57 PM

- I never made the east coast comment as the center piece of my argument, which really is Gonzaga has a lot to offer, tradition, coaching and a ff potential team, but so can villanova or Kansas. so if all things are essentially even a recruit might look at less important matters such as location. my meaning was not that we cannot or do not recruit all over the usa and world.

GonzaGAW
05-07-2018, 07:02 PM
According to wikipedia, researchers say that people with low self esteem are more likely to experience schadenfreude than people with high self esteem. Also, brain scans show that schadenfreude correlates with envy. I don't see why a Zag fan would envy Oregon, given that the Zags are the more accomplished program over the last couple of decades.

- that all seems right, only problem is i do not envy Oregon. your point is well taken, we are better than them, I dislike them (and my brother is a duck, more fodder for your free psychoanalysis?).

Zagdawg
05-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Staff is working with Cremo to get the visit in. Should happen. Would be a nice consolation prize, and might even create better team unity than bwil given age and experience gap.

Great news.....thank you for sharing.

basketballzag
05-07-2018, 07:26 PM
Great news.....thank you for sharing.

Saw a report that he doesnít know where he is going next after visiting Villanova and Kansas. Sounds like itís between those two now.

Zagdawg
05-07-2018, 07:32 PM
A lot can happen in 9 hrs........

Michael Kelly

@ByMichaelKelly
9h9 hours ago
More
Joe Cremo told me he's unsure what's next for him after visiting Villanova, Kansas this past week.

Also, he has more important things on his mind at the moment.

"Loaded with hw," he texted.

thespywhozaggedme
05-07-2018, 08:17 PM
I think I am more ripping the recruiting expertise, or lack of it.

Are you seriously questioning coach Fews recruiting acumen?

jazzdelmar
05-07-2018, 08:44 PM
Had a feeling this was the case.

Fool me once,....

jazzdelmar
05-07-2018, 08:46 PM
Are you seriously questioning coach Fews recruiting acumen?

Woody Woodpecker?

Zagdawg
05-08-2018, 06:50 AM
Joe Cremo Retweeted

Zach Bye

@byesline
7m7 minutes ago
More
It's my flat out privilege to pass along the news that my guy @JCremo24, someone who many of us have watched grow up before our eyes, will play his final year of college hoops for the reigning National Champions, @NovaMBB!!
YOU'RE BUILT FOR THIS.

hegotit!
05-08-2018, 06:58 AM
Ouch! Can you blame him for picking Nova? Who is now our new target?

ZagsObserver
05-08-2018, 07:13 AM
Ouch. Well, I guess we didn’t get the visit after all. We were a day late and a dollar short

jazzdelmar
05-08-2018, 07:13 AM
Perfect spot.

cggonzaga
05-08-2018, 07:14 AM
Hope we donít end up a day late and a guard short in March.

77Zag
05-08-2018, 07:19 AM
In Few we trust ---

I'm thinking:
Perks
Snacks
Clarke
Tillie
Rui
Not a bad lineup...
But optimistic Few and team will find a fit if they need one.

Go Zags!

scrooner
05-08-2018, 07:36 AM
Nice windfall for AZ. They get their PG, and we waste all of our recruiting efforts on him and miss out on Cremo.

strikenowhere
05-08-2018, 07:38 AM
In Few we trust ---

I'm thinking:
Perks
Snacks
Clarke
Tillie
Rui
Not a bad lineup...
But optimistic Few and team will find a fit if they need one.

Go Zags!

That is a fantastic starting lineup - the issue is the bench at the guard spot is terribly thin...hopefully the redshirt year helped Ayayi and Kispert could certainly slide into the 2-spot if needed. Foster is an unknown and the jury is still out on what Wade is.

jazzdelmar
05-08-2018, 07:40 AM
Nice windfall for AZ. They get their PG, and we waste all of our recruiting efforts on him and miss out on Cremo.

Kinda rash. We don't know if Cremo even wanted to venture out of EST.....he barely made it across the Hudson. Great spot, can't argue w that. Perhaps Donte is gone. As for BW, maybe we had stars in our eyes and Dad's words in our ears. Looking back, he said sweet nothings to all 3 suitors. Only one was for real.

cjm720
05-08-2018, 07:41 AM
That is a fantastic starting lineup - the issue is the bench at the guard spot is terribly thin...hopefully the redshirt year helped Ayayi and Kispert could certainly slide into the 2-spot if needed. Foster is an unknown and the jury is still out on what Wade is.

And Perkins might not be ready to play. Whoever the backup is he needs to be ready from day 1. I think Snacks and Ayayi cover.

jazzdelmar
05-08-2018, 07:42 AM
And Perkins might not be ready to play. Whoever the backup is he needs to be ready from day 1. I think Snacks and Ayayi cover.

Snacks could be a Harden-type PG, I guess.....

zagsfanforlife
05-08-2018, 07:50 AM
I keep telling myself that Jordan Matthews and Wesley came after May.. so there is still hope. Boy did the whole BW fiasco set us back though. There were a ton of good grad transfers that came and went who we didnt even get on campus or show interest in based on our infatuation with someone who probably had his mind set on his dream school the whole time.

raise the zag
05-08-2018, 08:41 AM
terrible news on Joe Cremo.

Nova returns Phil Booth, a 5* PG arriving, and DD possibly returning as well, and they like their back-up Frosh PG, Gillespie, who is a Cremo Clone.

He is destined to be a rotational guy, but maybe just fine with it?

Cremo stated he did not want to be viewed as a "niche spot up type 3 shooter" for his next team.

Can't fault his choice in a program, coach, and potential post-season run, yet what about FIT? Or playing time?

Zags clearly had a need, not mention a terrific/proven lineage with graduate transfer guards. Sometimes fitting in last min is tough for many teams, yet Zags have done it seamlessly and successfully.

He was interested in us, and we couldn't get him on Campus in time. Next wkend was possible, but its graduation, the week before was Brandon Williams.

Would have been a great fit here, not so sure about Nova, unless he is a spot-up shooter off the bench, which was exactly what he didn't want.

Very surprised by this announcement.

Coach Crazy
05-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Meh. Next target. Patience.

Zags_Fanatic
05-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Before we overreact to this here is another early Top 25 that came out today with Gonzaga at #3: http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/05/07/college-basketball-preseason-top-25/

That's without Cremo, without BW or anyone else that isn't currently on the roster. The fact is that next year's team on paper should be the best in school history. If the staff can add some icing to that cake then I'm all for it but there is some serious talent in Ayayi, Petrusev and Clarke that we haven't even seen yet on top of everyone else that is returning. Next year has a chance to be special, with or without one more guard.

hegotit!
05-08-2018, 08:58 AM
One word, Depth. One injury and season could be derailed.

Coach Crazy
05-08-2018, 09:01 AM
One word, Depth. One injury and season could be derailed.

How is depth an issue, this year? Clearly the staff wants one more target, but it's one of the deepest I've ever seen. Sseason derailed from a championship chase perspective? Or not making the tournament?

cggonzaga
05-08-2018, 09:08 AM
How is depth an issue, this year? Clearly the staff wants one more target, but it's one of the deepest I've ever seen. Sseason derailed from a championship chase perspective? Or not making the tournament?

Maybe he’s referring to guard depth? Outside of Perkins and Norvell there’s not a lot of proven experience as it stands.

MDABE80
05-08-2018, 09:12 AM
Hard to imagine there isn't a superior JC PG who doesn't fill the bill. Time isn't short. We have months left . We could go with what we've got and be fine... maybe not FF fine but close. As for. cremo, he made the superior choice. Right now Nova has 2 FF'sand a no 1 ranking and seed. A very bright future and he gets to stay in the east.

tinfoilzag
05-08-2018, 09:14 AM
Maybe he’s referring to guard depth? Outside of Perkins and Norvell there’s not a lot of proven experience as it stands.

Some big questions are: When will Josh be 100%? Can Rui play the 3? Can Ayayi play well enough on defense to replace Melson's role? Can Kispert shoot the 3? Can Norvell run the point?

Depth is really only an issue if the answers to the majority of these questions is negative.

GoZags

Don't be ridiculous.

Some members of the board may have "wasted" all of their "GU fan" energy and time on a couple of guys ... but the folks that matter (i.e. the staff) sure haven't.

As Tommy has said ... the public only knows about 5 percent of what's really going on vis a vis recruiting.

I'll be happy with the Zags roster ... and it's my belief that all of the members of the final '18/'19 roster (and rotation) isn't known yet.

Coach Crazy
Don't be ridiculous.

Some members of the board may have "wasted" all of their "GU fan" energy and time on a couple of guys ... but the folks that matter (i.e. the staff) sure haven't.

As Tommy has said ... the public only knows about 5 percent of what's really going on vis a vis recruiting.

I'll be happy with the Zags roster ... and it's my belief that all of the members of the final '18/'19 roster (and rotation) isn't known yet.

Preach.

Coach Crazy
05-08-2018, 09:17 AM
It's too bad a player like Xavian Stapleton isn't more refined.

gonstu
05-08-2018, 09:41 AM
d'oh!

Mr Vulture
05-08-2018, 10:16 AM
We can make a title run without adding another guard, as many have posted. However, if we can find a transfer PG that can distribute the ball, all the better. You can never have too much depth..particularly at PG.

cggonzaga
05-08-2018, 10:36 AM
We can make a title run without adding another guard, as many have posted. However, if we can find a transfer PG that can distribute the ball, all the better. You can never have too much depth..particularly at PG.

Agreed.

LongIslandZagFan
05-08-2018, 10:51 AM
Do we really need to act like this and BWill just destroy any chances of this team doing well? I mean, seriously. Some are acting like GU has a junk heap and need parts desperately.

Getting either one would have been an embarrassment of riches. The current team is good enough to go FF. Get there and anything is possible. Perkins/Norvell/Ayayi can likely more than hold down the fort... and then some.

cjm720
05-08-2018, 11:02 AM
Some big questions are: When will Josh be 100%? Can Rui play the 3? Can Ayayi play well enough on defense to replace Melson's role? Can Kispert shoot the 3? Can Norvell run the point?

Depth is really only an issue if the answers to the majority of these questions is negative.

I can guarantee there will be no issue with Kispert shooting the 3!!

PG depth is a major issue, especially since our best teams run with two strong ball handlers.

ZagsObserver
05-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Do we really need to act like this and BWill just destroy any chances of this team doing well? I mean, seriously. Some are acting like GU has a junk heap and need parts desperately.

Getting either one would have been an embarrassment of riches. The current team is good enough to go FF. Get there and anything is possible. Perkins/Norvell/Ayayi can likely more than hold down the fort... and then some.

Agreed. However, with the recovery of Perkins I have to think that a proven commodity at point would be most helpful. Perhaps it’s not imperative, but certainly a bonus. They went after bwil hard.

LongIslandZagFan
05-08-2018, 11:24 AM
Agreed. However, with the recovery of Perkins I have to think that a proven commodity at point would be most helpful. Perhaps itís not imperative, but certainly a bonus. They went after bwil hard.

Because he was worth that effort.

ZagsObserver
05-08-2018, 11:33 AM

Well, yes. And because of his position.

zagdontzig
05-08-2018, 12:39 PM

Excatly. Can't make that decision in hindsight.

23dpg
05-08-2018, 03:00 PM
I’ve got the solution. We can have Ravet reclassify to 2018. It seems to be the latest trend. Heck, Duke got a guy who went to multiple HSs graduate a year early when 20 years ago an on time graduation would have been a feat.

Pure sarcasm FYI. We will be fine next year. Maybe thin at point but Gonzaga is returning the deepest/most skilled/tournament experienced team in memory.

Go Zags.

Zagceo
05-08-2018, 08:33 PM

Sure he was

truth is he was never gonna pick GU or Ore unless sanctions dropped on AZ during his reopening of his recruitment period.

This is JAFO

gon2mt
05-09-2018, 01:53 PM
Probably switched to general basketball because of the commitment and I'm sure everyone knows but Cremo is going to Villanova