PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for WCC Standings next year?

Kong-Kool-Aid
05-03-2018, 01:07 PM
It's a long off season, lets hear your predictions for finishing order for the WCC next season!

ZagsObserver
05-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Gonzaga
BYU
SMC
San Diego
Pepperdine
San Francisco
Pacific
Santa Clara
Portland
LMU

strikenowhere
05-03-2018, 01:17 PM
It's a long off season, lets hear your predictions for finishing order for the WCC next season!

Gonzaga
everyone else

thespywhozaggedme
05-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Gonzaga
everyone else

Yup. I'd be shocked if we didn't run the table in conference and win every game by at least double digits.

jimmycarter
05-03-2018, 02:19 PM
Apparently, spy, you’re unfamiliar with the concept of the jinx. (Doom!)

soccerdud
05-03-2018, 03:09 PM
gonzaga
smc
byu (if childs stays)
usf
usd
byu (if childs leaves)
pacific
others

DixieZag
05-03-2018, 03:14 PM
Zags
SMC
USF
Pacific
BYU - (Assuming Childs leaves)
USD
Santa Clara
LMU
Pepperdine
Portland

sittingon50
05-03-2018, 03:20 PM
I going to wait until "former" posts on the subject.

ZagsObserver
05-03-2018, 03:33 PM
Zags
SMC
USF
Pacific
BYU - (Assuming Childs leaves)
USD
Santa Clara
LMU
Pepperdine
Portland

Should be an interesting year. A couple contributing players transferred from pacific. Pepperdine is adding a nice freshman class under Romar. We’ll see how it all plays out.

DixieZag
05-03-2018, 04:02 PM
Should be an interesting year. A couple contributing players transferred from pacific. Pepperdine is adding a nice freshman class under Romar. We’ll see how it all plays out.

Thank you for the info. I didn't know about Pacific. That would impact where I had them, for sure. Too bad, I thought that Coach Stoudamire had them playing hard and going the right direction. They looked like a real D-1 team at times. I like them.

2 biggest "Non-Zag" questions pertaining to the off-season would seem to be what Childs chooses to do, and whether Randy's recruiting class is as good as advertised (SMC fans say his highest rated class ever).

Mr Vulture
05-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Zags
USF
St Mary's
San Diego
BYU
Pacific
The Rest

Zagceo
05-03-2018, 04:25 PM
A long and painful season

TexasZagFan
05-03-2018, 04:59 PM
A long and painful season

Those 8 road games are going to be grinders. However, a few schools seemed to throw in the towel last year: no special t-shirts, no sellout, etc. Which school won't be able to package a Zags game with other games?

Bogozags
05-03-2018, 05:37 PM
1st Zags

4th USD
5th USF
6th BYU
7th SMC
8th Pepperdine
9th Pacific
10th Santa Clara
11th LMU
12th Portland

USD is going to have a pretty darn good team this coming year even with the change in the Head Coach position...I know most of you believe they will finish in the "second division"...time will tell

maynard g krebs
05-03-2018, 06:16 PM
Gonzaga
SMC
BYU
who cares.

bdmiller7
05-03-2018, 06:17 PM
1 Gonzaga

2 BYU
3 USD
4 SMC
5 USF

6 PAC
7 PEPP

8 SCU
9 PORT
10 LMU

I think this is one of the biggest gaps between GU and the rest that we have had. I see the next tier being decent but none great with PAC and PEPP having a chance to be okay. I think Childs will be back and BYU has a chance at making the tourney.

23dpg
05-03-2018, 06:20 PM
1. Zags
2. Nevada
3. San Diego State
4. UNLV
5. Colo.......wait, that’s not right.

former1dog
05-03-2018, 07:44 PM
I going to wait until "former" posts on the subject.

:roll:

It's going to take a few years for me to live that one down, isn't it?!?!

I'll make one prediction. USF will finish second in the conference and might even beat us on their home court next season.

Second prediction, Pepperdine is going to be a mid pack team, which is significantly better than this past season.

raise the zag
05-03-2018, 07:49 PM
watch out for Pepperdine. The most impressive team I saw play in Vegas, save GU.

they return their top 5 scorers, and a terrific recruiting class. Honestly, they could make a run for 2nd or 3rd...

sittingon50
05-03-2018, 10:43 PM
:roll:

It's going to take a few years for me to live that one down, isn't it?!?!

Nah, not as fast as I'm losing my marbles, former!

Sound Voltex
05-04-2018, 01:30 AM
Not last for us, I hope.

Surprisingly, I think our (Portland's) offseason so far has been relatively...okay? No major roster losses, no coaching changes, returning all of the active roster from last year except for bigs, adding a few more bench options (!) due to redshirts now being eligible, plus a couple of new walk-ons. Lost nearly all our bigs to graduation/transfer so we recruited 3 bigs with impressive stats. Hoping this will translate to a jump in record to the next "tier" in the standings from the bottom of the barrel.

Despite last year's record, I think we probably could've finished at best between the bottom of the middle tier and the top of the lower tier had we been able to take opportunities and close out our games. We tied with USD at home until losing it in OT, and had heartbreakers @USF, @SCU, and @UOP. Maybe could've taken advantage of a poor shooting SMC at home? Bad news was most of our roster were young freshmen/sophomores getting their first taste of WCC basketball, so it went the way it did. Good news this year is that they're all coming back with growth and experience, so crossing fingers here. I want us to become relevant for once.

Coach Crazy
05-04-2018, 06:00 AM
Gonzaga
SMC
BYU
who cares.

Flip SMC and BYU (Yoeli Childs is coming back, no way he goes into the draft after not having been invited to the draft combine), and while there may be some young talent at SMC, they'll need time to grow into things.

jpwils
05-04-2018, 08:50 AM
Flip SMC and BYU (Yoeli Childs is coming back, no way he goes into the draft after not having been invited to the draft combine), and while there may be some young talent at SMC, they'll need time to grow into things.

Hope I am wrong but I see Gonzaga beating out USF by one game for regular season title.
So predicted WCC finish :

Gonzaga
USF
SMC/BYU-tied
San Diego
Pepperdine/UOP
others

But that doesn't include WCC tourney which Zags will win easily.

Mr Vulture
05-04-2018, 09:47 AM
So you think that Gonzaga will lose a game in conference and that USF will only lose two? Hmmm....

CDC84
05-04-2018, 09:58 AM
I have been told by one reputable St. Mary's fan (who isn't a homer) that their recruiting class/transfers for 2018, as a combined unit are the best set of newcomers the programs has ever had by far. And that Matthias Tass will be a first rounder in time.

Coach Crazy
05-04-2018, 10:12 AM
I have been told by one reputable St. Mary's fan (who isn't a homer) that their recruiting class/transfers for 2018, as a combined unit are the best set of newcomers the programs has ever had by far. And that Matthias Tass will be a first rounder in time.

I didn't get the memo that the NBA had lowered its standards considerably...

maynard g krebs
05-04-2018, 11:28 AM

Maybe so. My position is that SMC is second until someone proves otherwise.

Tass on tape looks like a better talent than fr Landale (or Omar or Waldow, for that matter). If his development curve matches those guys, he'll be their best. Fitts should be really good as well, and the 6'5 guard whose name escapes me at the moment. I've said before that on video, the SMC recruits/ transfers look like a significant step up talent wise from the past. Just a matter of how long it takes RB to get them to gel.

jpn17
05-04-2018, 07:40 PM
Maybe so. My position is that SMC is second until someone proves otherwise.

I pretty much agree. Not even so much because of Saint Mary's but because of the standard of mediocrity that has been set by all WCC teams not named Gonzaga, SMC or BYU. They need to prove they can get it done before I will expect or pick them to.

Zagcity
05-09-2018, 06:25 AM
Bump