PDA

View Full Version : Espnu

ZaggyStardust
11-01-2007, 11:20 AM
I am starting a new thread regarding ESPNU and requests to Comcast (for those in the Spokane area). I have been sending them an email through the link at ESPN DAILY asking them to add ESPNU to their lineup. I don't think we have a chance unless we bombard them with requests! I have also called several times. Please go to the link and at the top of the page where it says Get ESPNU, enter your zip code and a window comes up that allows you to send Comcast an email.

PLEASE DO THIS EVERY DAY - as many of you as possible. I don't think Comcast is going to cave unless they feel the pressure!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/espnu/index

trizag
11-01-2007, 11:26 AM
done

lawzag
11-01-2007, 11:29 AM
I had done this about a month ago, but done again today!

Kiddwell
11-01-2007, 12:15 PM
I've been thinking for a while that ESPNU's whole strategy this year has been to upgrade their product in order to provoke sports fans to pester their cable providers to add "The U" to their sports packages.

Looks like the strategy is working. Ultimately I see ESPNU's strategy as good. We the viewers will be getting one more potent cable channel to carry games. And with ESPN having another channel available, maybe they'll switch from those late West Coast broadcasts (that is, 8 and 9 PM) to more reasonable times that appeal to East Coasters.

ESPNU's pluses: (1) cable providers adding The U to their packages; (2) WCC games being broadcast at East Coast prime times.

:]

LongIslandZagFan
11-01-2007, 12:20 PM
I have the poster child of bad cable companies... Cablevision. I will keep sending this daily and remind them that I will switch to Verizon's FIOS as soon as it is available in my area.

GuamZag
11-01-2007, 12:33 PM
I'll do this too. But is there an alternative to ESPNU? I'm with Comcast in Seattle but I just assumed since I'm in the "area" they would broadcast those games on some alternative local station?

TRhyno
11-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Done

lothar98zag
11-01-2007, 12:54 PM
I'll do this too. But is there an alternative to ESPNU? I'm with Comcast in Seattle but I just assumed since I'm in the "area" they would broadcast those games on some alternative local station?
probably not a good assumption to make.

btw, is there a link somewhere to send requests to ESPN to lower their asking price for the station. IMHO, Comcast (or other cable companies) isn't the only one th blame in this situation.

ZagNative
11-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I sent them an e-mail and also called the phone number at Comcast listed on the e-mail form. The woman I spoke to acted as if it were news to her that this was a high demand item. She accidentally cut me off when she went to the tech department to get more info. Maybe she'll call back. However, I suggest that in addition to e-mails, people phone them to increase the noise.

lothar98zag
11-01-2007, 01:33 PM
...Maybe she'll call back...
:lmao:

ZagNative
11-01-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm afraid to say this, because I believe I'm in the minority, but I've actually had outstanding service from Comcast in the past. I pay an arm and a leg for my lineup, but I can't fault the personal service.

Edited to add: But you're right - they haven't called back yet after accidentally cutting me off.

hockeyzag
11-01-2007, 01:52 PM
I love Comcast because I can call them, say that my service is costing too much and I really need to cut back. Then while i'm trying to cancel part of my services (phone, internet, some of my channels), if they truly believe I'm serious, they try to get me back by lowering the price. I now pay half what my previous bill was. Only lasts for six months, but hey, it's still pretty nice. So yes, I agree that the personal service is outstanding. :D

Zag 77
11-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Good grief. Just get DISH. It has ESPNU and is cheaper than Comcast. Those Comcast types just keep raising the price every year and the service is lousy. DISH has the same channels and then some (including NFL network).

This one is a no brainer.

RenoZag
11-01-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm in Charter territory. . .they added ESPNU to their digital sports tier effective today. . .

brasszag
11-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Since I get my internet access through Comcast I really can't justify getting Dish/DirectTV above and beyond that :-(

So no ESPNU for moi.

nonzagzag
11-01-2007, 03:00 PM
for DISH, they have almost every popular channel in high def now including ESPN, ESPN2 & NFL. ESPNU isn't HD yet but chances are it will be by next year they also have CSTV which has lots of college sports stuff. I don't know how the price compares but the technology and customer service is probably better than cable.

Nevtelen
11-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Just to add to the crazy tv-ness discussion on this thread, Fox College Sports channels are not available on Dish. As it seems that the Emporia St exhibition game, as well as Idaho, Northridge, and Riverside will ONLY be on FCS Pacific since Sonics games or Sonics Pregames are scheduled over part of the time the games would be airing on FSN (as far as I can tell from the really hard to navigate Fox website), the only way to see these games outside of Spokane is to get the Sports Package with Comcast that gives you the 3 FCS channels.

*sigh*

Vanzagger
11-01-2007, 05:40 PM
just got off the phone. emailed too. The only reason I haven't switched to dish is because of high speed internet. I feel handcuffed.

Law Zag In Training
11-01-2007, 05:45 PM
appearently we're not the only ones upset about ESPNU

http://deadspin.com/sports/espn/more-people-angry-about-espnu-317766.php

ZagNative
11-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Good reminder, Zag Law in Training that we are being used as pawns by ESPN to better themselves financially by getting college fans all fired up and pressuring Comcast to make a deal.

It would be interesting to learn the economics behind this. ESPN probably wants an arm and a leg to give them distribution rights. From a link in that Deadspin story:

It looks like we can add the UConn athletic department to the growing list of people who think ESPN is abusing their power in order to promote their interests. This week Huskies AD Jeff Hathaway blasted ESPN for using the UConn football team to settle a dispute with Comcast.

UConn’s next two games (important contests against Rutgers and Cincinnati) will both be broadcast on ESPNU, a network that’s not offered to any of the 525,000 Comcast subscribers in Connecticut. Hathaway claims that ESPN is robbing viewers of the chance to see the games in order to pressure Comcast into adding ESPNU to its packages.

“The bottom line here is that I fully understand that the University of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut football program is being used by the network to leverage cable companies in our state … to add ESPNU to their platform,” Hathaway said. “We understand that. We know that’s what’s happening.”

Oh by the way, UConn gets $100,000 for every game on ESPN, ESPN2, and ABC, but nothing for games on ESPNU. Hathaway’s anger might have something to do with that.

ESPN is denying the allegations, but given the network’s track record of bettering themselves with ethically questionable moves (such as this, this, and this), I’m not sure they have much credibility. Frankly, UConn should just be happy they’re not being forced to wear “ESPNU Rules” patches on their uniforms.

Comcast needs to respond to the pressure and put the blame back where it belongs - on ESPN, especially if the deal means ESPN is really actually giving the shaft to colleges who are getting little or no revenue from ESPNU vs. what they would get on the other ESPN stations.

ZaggyStardust
11-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Found this on a blog:

"Comcast wants to put this channel on digital cable, and not just that, but on the Sports Tier, a digital cable package that costs an additional $5 per month and includes the likes of CSTV, Fox College Sports (three channels), NBA-TV, NFL, Fox Soccer, Speed, Tennis, Gaming (horse racing and such), and such. This of course may vary from market to market. This is exactly where Comcast wants to put ESPNU. And this is what is causing ESPNU not be carried on Comcast because ESPN wants to make it widely available. Apparently all the suits at Comcast and ESPN are unable to come up with a compromise solution that would make ESPNU available to millions of fans. Common sense is apparently not a required skill for business executives these days."

Frankly, I don't give a darn about whose fault it is... I JUST WANT THE CHANNEL!

ZagNative
11-01-2007, 06:16 PM
I don't so much want the channel as I want the games.

ZaggyStardust
11-01-2007, 06:20 PM
I also just went to ESPN and sent them this:

"I have been using your link on the ESPNU page regularly to contact Comcast regarding adding ESPNU to our Channel lineup here in Spokane. But I also want to appeal to you guys to do whatever you can to resolve this apparent impasse. The real losers here are the fans and unfortunately, we have no ability to solve this dispute between the two corporate giants. And putting the Zags/WSU game on ESPNU when it's not available here - Shame on You!! Please resolve this issue!"

I would suggest we put some pressure on ESPN as well. It always takes two to tango!!!

TheZagPhish
11-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Since I get my internet access through Comcast I really can't justify getting Dish/DirectTV above and beyond that :-(

So no ESPNU for moi.

I use Dish and have Comcast internet. Beyond the lineup superiority of Dish, the picture is much purer - even on conventional (not HD) TV. Comcast gets their signal via dish too after all, but then they compress the heck out of it, send the diluted signal to its customers and charge more. Through the America's Top 250 package I'm getting the Fox regional stations and ESPNU too. Comcast made it an easy choice for me.

Nevtelen
11-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Another thought - if it's available in your area (and I'm sure it should be), switch to Earthlink internet. Earthlink contracts out to Comcast for service, so you still get internet from Comcast with everything exactly the same, but the price is basically fixed (unless Earthlink changes it). That's what I did and Comcast told me specifically that they would have raised the cost of my internet when I switched to Dish, but they couldn't because I wasn't technically with them (I specifically asked the rep on the phone).

lothar98zag
11-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Found this on a blog:

"Comcast wants to put this channel on digital cable, and not just that, but on the Sports Tier, a digital cable package that costs an additional $5 per month and includes the likes of CSTV, Fox College Sports (three channels), NBA-TV, NFL, Fox Soccer, Speed, Tennis, Gaming (horse racing and such), and such. This of course may vary from market to market. This is exactly where Comcast wants to put ESPNU. And this is what is causing ESPNU not be carried on Comcast because ESPN wants to make it widely available. Apparently all the suits at Comcast and ESPN are unable to come up with a compromise solution that would make ESPNU available to millions of fans. Common sense is apparently not a required skill for business executives these days."

Frankly, I don't give a darn about whose fault it is... I JUST WANT THE CHANNEL!
So Comcast wants to put ESPNU the same place that it has carried ESPN news & ESPN classic for YEARS and ESPN is holding out for more?

whatever.

they all suck.

Akzag
02-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Just a timely bump ....

MedZag
02-16-2008, 12:28 PM
I love Comcast because I can call them, say that my service is costing too much and I really need to cut back. Then while i'm trying to cancel part of my services (phone, internet, some of my channels), if they truly believe I'm serious, they try to get me back by lowering the price. I now pay half what my previous bill was. Only lasts for six months, but hey, it's still pretty nice. So yes, I agree that the personal service is outstanding. :D

I do the same! :lmao:

Had the "free signup" InDemand lineup for over a year now. 3 month promo my arse!

Bocco
02-16-2008, 01:49 PM
So Comcast wants to put ESPNU the same place that it has carried ESPN news & ESPN classic for YEARS and ESPN is holding out for more?

whatever.

they all suck.
agreed

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-16-2008, 02:31 PM
I don't so much want the channel as much as I want the games.

Well said, ZN. ESPNU would be fun to have, but I honestly don't care as long as I can see the Zags games.

Nonetheless... done.