PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Ranked class of 2019?

raise the zag
04-26-2018, 05:22 AM
Obviously, a ton will change b/w now and next year, yet as of yesterday, 247/Scout ranked Gonzaga's 2019 recruiting class 2nd overall.

Just behind Kentucky, and ahead of Kansas

Only considering (2) recruits, but still fun to see listed for a few weeks.

2019 Basketball Recruiting Composite Team Rankings (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings)

ps. I realize its meaningless this early on, yet still a neat honor to see our guys being recognized.

TexasZagFan
04-26-2018, 06:11 AM
Obviously, a ton will change b/w now and next year, yet as of yesterday, 247/Scout ranked Gonzaga's 2019 recruiting class 2nd overall.

Just behind Kentucky at the moment, and ahead of Kansas

Only considering (2) recruits, but still fun to see listed for a few weeks.

2019 Basketball Recruiting Composite Team Rankings (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings)

ps. I realize its meaningless this early on, yet still a neat honor to see our guys being recognized.

Seems like in the past, a commit to Gonzaga would drop a player in the rankings. That appears to have changed.

We need to add Drew Timme...his ratings may not be as lofty as our two commits, but he's the type of big man that fits perfectly into our system...with a nonstop motor to boot.

Kong-Kool-Aid
04-26-2018, 06:14 AM
I'd gladly take Isaac Johnson too.

raise the zag
04-26-2018, 06:19 AM
We need to add Drew Timme...

Would be the perfect fit. Has the motor, size, skill, and work ethic to become the next great Zag big.

As good of programs as TCU, Texas, A&M, Oklahoma are, I feel Timme is the type of player we could turn into a star.

GoZags
04-26-2018, 06:22 AM
2 in-state kids have the Zags ranked #2 between Kentucky and Kansas. Wow. Sure, both kids are current State POY's (as Juniors) ... Ravet is Gatorade Player of the Year and Watson is the Seattle Times Player of the Year. That's awesome.

Yesterday, after finishing a round of golf, the guy next to me in the parking lot noticed my hat (and probably my club covers) and we started talking about the Zags. He started telling me about this kid from Kittitas ... his best friend is Brock's grandfather and he's known Brock all of his life. He said at age 7, Brock's parents built a basketball court in the backyard, and since then all of the kids hang out at their house. Sure sounds like the Zags will be getting another gym rat ... and I like it.

TexasZagFan
04-26-2018, 06:28 AM
2 in-state kids have the Zags ranked #2 between Kentucky and Kansas. Wow. Sure, both kids are current State POY's (as Juniors) ... Ravet is Gatorade Player of the Year and Watson is the Seattle Times Player of the Year. That's awesome.

Yesterday, after finishing a round of golf, the guy next to me in the parking lot noticed my hat (and probably my club covers) and we started talking about the Zags. He started telling me about this kid from Kittitas ... his best friend is Brock's grandfather and he's known Brock all of his life. He said at age 7, Brock's parents built a basketball court in the backyard, and since then all of the kids hang out at their house. Sure sounds like the Zags will be getting another gym rat ... and I like it.

If you're back on the links, your recovery must be progressing nicely.

GoZags
04-26-2018, 06:38 AM
If you're back on the links, your recovery must be progressing nicely.

Taking things nice and easy, as slow and steady wins the race. Last week played my first 9 holes since June of '15 .... yesterday played 9 more ... flashes of brilliance surround a stretches of rusty ineptitude .... but it's great being back out there

jazzdelmar
04-26-2018, 06:41 AM
Taking things nice and easy, as slow and steady wins the race. Last week played my first 9 holes since June of '15 .... yesterday played 9 more ... flashes of brilliance surround a stretches of rusty ineptitude .... but it's great being back out there

Keep your head down....:clap:

GoZags
04-26-2018, 06:50 AM
Keep your head down....:clap:

My dad beat me yesterday ... first time in over a decade. Yep ... I lost to an 86 year old (who I "think" will shoot his age this year ... he's come within one f that milestone a few times).

Sorry for the inadvertent thread hijack ... looking forward to reading other "reaction" to this awesome recruiting ranking.

TexasZagFan
04-26-2018, 06:53 AM

There should be a significant reduction in angst on these boards over the future of this team. We have three stellar commits, two next year, and one in 2020. 2019 may look a bit murky now, depending on departures in addition to Rui & Killian. With the facilities now in place, I'll wager that the Gonzaga experience for our players will keep several a year longer than we expect.

A bit O/T, but I expect that the looming end to "one and done" will be a positive to our recruiting. When high schoolers are told by professionals that they need further development, Gonzaga is a perfect landing place for 2-3 years...everything is in place: facilities, coaching, and a great university. Our athletes are not sequestered away, they live and study with their fellow students. Things may have changed in the years since BLS (Before Lightning Struck), but the bond among us remains as strong as ever...we're all Zags.

I'm thinking back to the summer of '76, while going through Officer Basic Course at Fort Bliss. I attended a game between El Paso and Amarillo, as Rick Sweet played for Amarillo. I was able to get a ticket behind their dugout, and was a bit disappointed that Rick had the night off. Around the 7th inning, he went to warm up the pitcher. As he walked back to the dugout, I stood up and shouted "what's up Sweet!" Stopped him in his tracks.

He invited me to join him and a few teammates for post game meals during their stay in El Paso. Great fun, met a few who would get a cup of coffee in the show. Saw Rick a decade or so later when he was managing, and his team had a series in El Paso. Much briefer, of course...the demands on his time as a manager were substantial, and I had a wife and kids.

No matter where you go, there is a special bond among Zags...it simply cannot be denied.

TexasZagFan
04-26-2018, 06:55 AM
My dad beat me yesterday ... first time in over a decade. Yep ... I lost to an 86 year old (who I "think" will shoot his age this year ... he's come within one f that milestone a few times).

Sorry for the inadvertent thread hijack ... looking forward to reading other "reaction" to this awesome recruiting ranking.

I'm guilty, too...better get back on topic before the "Thread Police" unstrap their batons. :lmao:

jazzdelmar
04-26-2018, 07:00 AM

Having your dad and having your health are yards more important than a too early BB rating, my friend.

raise the zag
04-26-2018, 07:05 AM
Speaking of 2019-2020, I am concerned about who could be 'waiting in the wings' after Tillie and Rui leave next season? Clarke could leave too depending on next season's results and post-season performance.

Zags could potentially lose their starting PF, C, & backup to both positions in a single season.

We have recruited a lot of guards and wings, but what about bigs?

I count Petrusev next season, but that's it. We have shown interest in Timme, et al, but all would be freshman following next year. Not even an up & coming RS, or some 6'11" euro big waiting to play bigger mins (Olynyk, Tillie, etc).

This is precisely why we need to enjoy next season. Live in the present. Go all in. The season following next could be an interesting transition for Gonzaga. Young talent, but little to no proven players in development.

We have lost guys before, yet we always have known about the next RS, or Freshman in the system, etc.

DukeSilver
04-26-2018, 07:13 AM
Speaking of 2019-2020, I am concerned about who could be 'waiting in the wings' after Tillie and Rui leave next season? Clarke could leave too depending on next season's results and post-season performance.

Zags could potentially lose their starting PF, C, & backup to both positions in a single season.

I count Petrusev next season, but that's it. We have shown interest in Timme, et al, but all would be freshman following next year. Not even an up & coming RS, or some 6'11" euro big waiting to play bigger mins (Olynyk, Tillie, etc).

Larsen?

DixieZag
04-26-2018, 07:27 AM
That is impressive that Anton Watson and Brock Ravet are recognized nationally.

I do not have access to the recruiting sites, and I know it will be tough for Brock to get "stars" playing versus small schools, but how has Anton projected out? I heard some speculate that he'd be a 4 star by the time he's a senior. I can't help but thinking that leading his team to the state championship as a junior in the 4A division - where by all accounts, he starred, would raise his national profile.

When even the Seattle Times lowers itself to recognize an East-side kid as the best in-state, national recruiting sites ought to recognize his potential.

Bouldin4Prez
04-26-2018, 08:01 AM

This is precisely why we need to enjoy next season. Live in the present. Go all in. The season following next could be an interesting transition for Gonzaga. Young talent, but little to no proven players in development.

We have lost guys before, yet we always have known about the next RS, or Freshman in the system, etc.

It's all cyclical, especially with the level of recruiting we have reached now. The type of recruit we get presently, doesn't want to RS or play sparingly for a couple years before he gets big minutes as an upperclassman. A 2018 recruit is looking at juniors in Tillie, Rui and Clarke plus a sophomore in Larsen as well as an incoming top 50 recruit in Petrusev. In their eyes, not a lot of minutes look to be available at this point in time. I'm assuming we grab a big or two in the next recruiting class.

TexasZagFan
04-26-2018, 08:07 AM
It's all cyclical, especially with the level of recruiting we have reached now. The type of recruit we get presently, doesn't want to RS or play sparingly for a couple years before he gets big minutes as an upperclassman. A 2018 recruit is looking at juniors in Tillie, Rui and Clarke plus a sophomore in Larsen as well as an incoming top 50 recruit in Petrusev. In their eyes, not a lot of minutes look to be available at this point in time. I'm assuming we grab a big or two in the next recruiting class.

Timme...Timme...Timme...

Bouldin4Prez
04-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Timme...Timme...Timme...

Love his game, but it seems like a stretch we get him. Don't get me wrong though, I would be absolutely stoked if he came to GU.

maynard g krebs
04-26-2018, 09:04 AM
That is impressive that Anton Watson and Brock Ravet are recognized nationally.

I do not have access to the recruiting sites, and I know it will be tough for Brock to get "stars" playing versus small schools, but how has Anton projected out? I heard some speculate that he'd be a 4 star by the time he's a senior. I can't help but thinking that leading his team to the state championship as a junior in the 4A division - where by all accounts, he starred, would raise his national profile.

When even the Seattle Times lowers itself to recognize an East-side kid as the best in-state, national recruiting sites ought to recognize his potential.

Watson and Ravet are both 4 stars, ranked 70ish nationally. I think somebody posted a link the other day that said Watson had climbed to 50 in one ranking.

247 has some recruiting info that is available free.

JPtheBeasta
04-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Having your dad and having your health are yards more important than a too early BB rating, my friend.

+1000,000

DixieZag
04-26-2018, 10:20 AM
Watson and Ravet are both 4 stars, ranked 70ish nationally. I think somebody posted a link the other day that said Watson had climbed to 50 in one ranking.

247 has some recruiting info that is available free.

Wow. I didn't know that Ravet had been that "discovered" - if you read too much stuff here, one could walk away with the impression he is a diamond in the rough. But, 4 stars means you're a diamond cut upon a platinum ring, no secret. And from a small school at that.

I sensed, and maybe I'm just being overly Zag-positive, that Anton had an even better Junior campaign than people had forcasted, exceeded expectations. Perhaps he'll finish next year doing the same.

BavarianZag
04-26-2018, 10:27 AM

Iím not sure how much youíve seen Isaac play, but his ranking (and stats) belie his true value IMO.

His points often come in garbage time after the game has been decided. He has a reputation with other players and referees as being a whiner. He does not make those around him better.

Again, all my opinion based on observations and a little bit of anecdotal info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sittingon50
04-26-2018, 10:48 AM

Absolutely this!