PDA

View Full Version : Rui most surprising draft non entry

thespywhozaggedme
04-24-2018, 07:38 PM
Most surprising

Arkansas' talented big man Daniel Gafford and Gonzaga's Rui Hachimura did not even test the process. Gafford, a 6-foot-11 freshman who averaged 11.8 points and 6.2 rebounds, would have likely been selected in the first round, maybe even in the lottery. The same can be said for Hachimura.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23295537/best-worst-most-head-scratching-decisions-nba-draft-early-entry-deadline

Reborn
04-25-2018, 03:46 AM
Pretty awesome. It shows that Rui is pretty smart, imo. Look what happened to Goss.

Zagger
04-25-2018, 04:02 AM
Pretty awesome. It shows that Rui is pretty smart, imo. Look what happened to Goss.

Think you're spot on with Rui being smart to stick around GU. Besides increasing his bb skills being better with the English language can't hurt when NBA teams, contracts, etc. come into play. The better Rui knows what's being offered the wiser his choices will be.

On Williams-Goss though .... I think he was wise to move on - just my opinion due to a host of factors + that his situation is/was quite different than Rui's. Rui has lots he can work on and improve in another season with GU. I felt Nigel was more near his college level peak at the end of the 17-18 season.

jazzdelmar
04-25-2018, 04:05 AM
Love Rui but do not think he'd have been a lottery pick. Late first, probably. And, yes, wisely heeding the advice of the coaches rather than friends and family.

Club Prez
04-25-2018, 05:05 AM
Love Rui but do not think he'd have been a lottery pick. Late first, probably. And, yes, wisely heeding the advice of the coaches rather than friends and family.

How do you know that his friends and family advised him to enter the draft??

I agree Rui would likely be a late 1st round pick.

Zagdawg
04-25-2018, 05:35 AM
Mention of family here in his decision to stay.
https://twitter.com/SWXSamAdams/status/988969783973462016

jazzdelmar
04-25-2018, 05:42 AM
Mention of family here in his decision to stay.
https://twitter.com/SWXSamAdams/status/988969783973462016

Talking about Goss....

stretch
04-25-2018, 05:51 AM
I find it surprising that Bryant and Childs from BYU both declared for the draft. We'll likely see them back at BYU next season.

The list has 236 players declaring early including Tashawn Berry who averaged 4.1 points a game at North Dakota Junior College last season.

zag67
04-25-2018, 06:04 AM
I think it was a great decision. This draft he would be lucky to be near the end of first round. Solid year next year and he will be middle first or better. Good luck Rui and glad to have you back

meadgrad02
04-25-2018, 06:34 AM
I find it surprising that Bryant and Childs from BYU both declared for the draft. We'll likely see them back at BYU next season.

The list has 236 players declaring early including Tashawn Berry who averaged 4.1 points a game at North Dakota Junior College last season.

Bryant is gone, hired an agent. Childs might bolt now that Bryant is gone. BYU could go from a really solid squad to not, really quick.

EEzag
04-25-2018, 06:38 AM
Bryant is gone, hired an agent. Childs might bolt now that Bryant is gone. BYU could go from a really solid squad to not, really quick.

again

raise the zag
04-25-2018, 06:45 AM
Talking about Goss....

Fwiw, Nigel turned around and helped advise Perkins to stay for his final season. Get healthy, soak it all in, stick around and enjoy the stage. One chance at college and an NCAA experience. Josh had contacted NWG re: European bball earlier this year.

Tells me, Nigel wanted to stick around another year no matter if he had reached his "peak" or not. Also, $250K seems like a lot when you are 22, yet after you earn it...its really not in today's world. As they say, earnings are relative until you are a multi millionaire.

IF NWG would have stayed, I think he would have been treated like Brunson this year. Not a lottery pick, but definitely a first round flyer for leading a team to great heights and consistently performing. Winning them over.

thespywhozaggedme
04-25-2018, 07:38 AM

Um...Rui was a possible lottery pick this year. NWG was never going to be one.

CDC84
04-25-2018, 10:21 AM
I have to say, I was surprised that Rui didn't even "test the waters." Under the new system, it is quite normal for kids to attend the combine who have every intention of returning to school. I think you can "test the waters" up to two times and return to school. Third time you have to go pro.

Saxon_zag
04-25-2018, 10:50 AM
$250K seems like a lot when you are 22, yet after you earn it...its really not in today's world. .

LOL whatever you say

DixieZag
04-25-2018, 12:07 PM
LOL whatever you say

Yeah, I love RasietheZag, one of our stars on the board, but that one made me chuckle.

I think NWG regrets not coming back, strange to hear inferences about "had it been up to him" - I can't imagine anyone but Nigel deciding what Nigel does. Regardless, I don't know, and I doubt anyone outside the family knows, I just think he likely regrets not coming back and beating Nova in the final. :)

As for $225K "sounds like a lot." - Well, if you are the right type of 22 year old single guy (and NWG is nothing if not "the right type" ) you decide you can live just fine in Europe as a single fun-loving guy on $75,000, and stick the remaining amount into an investment, and in one year, you are light years ahead of almost all 32 year olds, and many 42 year olds. Done right, time value of money, that early "rainy day fund" could compound itself into a significant asset.

Whether or not it was worth waiting a year, and possibly earning more the next year and starting same plan one year later is a whole different story. But, it is a significant opportunity for the average 22 year old. Though I always thought Nigel needed to see what Goldman Sachs offered him on a first year contract measured against what any pro team offered.

raise the zag
04-25-2018, 01:11 PM
LOL whatever you say

Yeah, I love RasietheZag, one of our stars on the board, but that one made me chuckle.

I think NWG regrets not coming back, strange to hear inferences about "had it been up to him" - I can't imagine anyone but Nigel deciding what Nigel does. Regardless, I don't know, and I doubt anyone outside the family knows, I just think he likely regrets not coming back and beating Nova in the final. :)

As for $225K "sounds like a lot." - Well, if you are the right type of 22 year old single guy (and NWG is nothing if not "the right type" ) you decide you can live just fine in Europe as a single fun-loving guy on $75,000, and stick the remaining amount into an investment, and in one year, you are light years ahead of almost all 32 year olds, and many 42 year olds. Done right, time value of money, that early "rainy day fund" could compound itself into a significant asset.

Whether or not it was worth waiting a year, and possibly earning more the next year and starting same plan one year later is a whole different story. But, it is a significant opportunity for the average 22 year old. Though I always thought Nigel needed to see what Goldman Sachs offered him on a first year contract measured against what any pro team offered.

Egg on my face re: $250K comment.

You are right, it is a lot of money, just compared to the value of experience, such as another year at Gonzaga for him. He adored it here and while it was his plan all along to declare, he had 2nd thoughts when it came to making the final decision.

A quarter-million is a lot of money, I don't want to claim it is not, but in the grand scheme of it all? Opportunity cost?

I do feel Nigel had reached his peak for performance, yet not his peak draft status.

Rui's development, Tillie's step into the light, making the Sweet 16 (probably further) after losing 4 of our 5 top scorers would have been attributed to Nigel's play/leadership/stardom if he returned.

I genuinely feel this would have improved his draft stock from late-2nd Round to Top-28 guaranteed type contract.

jazzdelmar
04-25-2018, 01:15 PM

You are right, it is a lot of money, just compared to the value of experience, such as another year at Gonzaga for him. He adored it here and while it was his plan all along to declare, he had 2nd thoughts when it came to making the final decision.

A quarter-million is a lot of money, I don't want to claim it is not, but in the grand scheme of it all? Opportunity cost?

I do feel Nigel had reached his peak for performance, yet not his peak draft status.

Rui's development, Tillie's step into the light, making the Sweet 16 (probably further) after losing 4 of our 5 top scorers would have been attributed to Nigel's play/leadership/stardom if he returned.

I genuinely feel this would have improved his draft stock from late-2nd Round to Top-28 guaranteed type contract.

Hang in there, Raise. You are spot on......for a fella w Goss' erudition and resume, $250 is bupkis.

sittingon50
04-25-2018, 01:54 PM
Anyone that has an insignificant extra $250K around, please PM me. Want to make sure that I get all the routing #'s correct in your bank account!

;)

bartruff1
04-25-2018, 02:21 PM
No one is promised tomorrow.....ask Tony Bennett.....

maynard g krebs
04-25-2018, 02:24 PM
Nigel was publicly talking about the possibility of being 1 and done at UW as a fr. He was a MCD AA and national team player before starting his college career, so it wasn't an outlandish thought.

Going pro as quickly as possible was always his goal. He spent 3 more years in college than he had originally hoped to. Hard to believe this still comes up.

Saxon_zag
04-25-2018, 05:58 PM

Haha all good raise, just the scoff at a 22 year old making a quarter of a million made me really put my own finances into perspective :P

It's tough to say - Given Nigel's limitations (from an NBA scouting perspective) I always thought it seemed like the move made sense for him as I'm not sure what he could have done to raise his stock anymore in their eyes after being the Point Guard on a team that made it to the national championship.

CDC84
04-26-2018, 08:45 AM
Nigel came back to Gonzaga this past season and expressed to the coaches and players that he deeply regretted leaving Gonzaga early. It wasn't so much that the NBA didn't pick him, but that he had missed out on an opportunity.

Nigel is a very goal-focused, driven guy.

He had this plan, and nothing was going to stop him.. As do a lot of driven teens. And sometimes these young men stubbornly stick to that plan regardless of whatever changes might have happened during the process. They experience tunnel vision.

It just felt all along that Nigel was focused on his plan so much that he couldn't listen or even see any of the warning signals. Any other person's opinion just bounced off of him. Life is something that is lived, it is not a script. Lesson learned.

The kid is going to be a success in life in whatever he does.

bartruff1
04-26-2018, 09:59 AM
That is just nostalgia.....hopefully it is just a temporary phase ......that accompanies many life changes.....