PDA

View Full Version : Recruit: 2021 five-star Carson Mccorkle

Kong-Kool-Aid
04-24-2018, 01:23 PM
https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/988882123405881345

"Hearing that Gonzaga is now showing strong interest in 2021 five-star Carson Mccorkle. Will see him this weekend. #Zags"

https://247sports.com/Player/Carson-McCorkle-46036186
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/carson-mccorkle-182081

https://youtu.be/PVI3clphjUg

This seems out of nowhere?

Anyone?

thebigsmoove
04-24-2018, 04:55 PM
This kid strikes me as a Dookie. Id bet this is a long shot.

thebigsmoove
04-24-2018, 05:11 PM
Interesting that he left home and reclassed from 2020 to 2021:

http://www.cbs17.com/news/mccorkle-stepping-out-of-his-comfort-zone_20180313071246668/1036300556

DixieZag
04-24-2018, 05:53 PM
It would be kinda' cool to go right into the heart of the ACC and steal a 5-star away from Duke, UNC and UVA.

Given that he's from Greensboro NC, that he's no secret, and the entire ACC and part of the Big 10 is after him, it is a little odd that we're doing anything beyond a letter to gauge interest.

When I think of very young 5 stars, I instantly think of 6'10 220 lb 16 year olds. The 6'1 shooting guard doesn't leap to mind. I guess they have those, too.

krozman
04-24-2018, 06:39 PM
Maybe next year's national championship will gauge his interest.

willandi
04-24-2018, 06:44 PM
I don't know anything, so don't take it as fact, but just maybe THIS KID IS SICK OF HEARING ABOUT THE ACC, DUKE AND NC AND JUST WANTS TO GET AS FAR AWAY FROM HOME AS HE CAN!

thespywhozaggedme
04-24-2018, 07:44 PM
Maybe it's just me but I can't get into recruiting high school freshman; just too young.

Coach Crazy
04-24-2018, 07:59 PM
Maybe it's just me but I can't get into recruiting high school freshman; just too young.

Unless I was on the recruiting trail, same.

Zagger
04-25-2018, 03:47 AM
Maybe next year's national championship will gauge his interest.

Exactly. With the trajectory of GU's program the 'long shot' is getting shorter. The chances of GU landing anyone they go after have gotten higher. I believe they are high enough now where schools the likes of Dook are not discounting GU's interest in similar recruits.

CDC84
04-25-2018, 10:49 AM
It makes you wonder if Gonzaga has some sort of "IN" (as they say in college b-ball recruiting circles) with this kid. Classic example: Jordan Mathews being the God son of Donny Daniels. Maybe this kid's dad is a long time friend of one of the coaches? You never know. "INS" are the one thing that can make a kid like this make a surprising school choice.

cggonzaga
04-25-2018, 11:14 AM
It makes you wonder if Gonzaga has some sort of "IN" (as they say in college b-ball recruiting circles) with this kid. Classic example: Jordan Mathews being the God son of Donny Daniels. Maybe this kid's dad is a long time friend of one of the coaches? You never know. "INS" are the one thing that can make a kid like this make a surprising school choice.

That’s what I was thinking. If we’re truly showing “strong interest” it’s for a reason. Something else at play.

krozman
04-25-2018, 11:20 AM
I wonder if there's a monetary value to having a name on a recruits list. If two 5 star recruits were "seriously interested" in Nevada only because they were paid 10k to pretend to be interested, lets say, I bet other recruits would be looking into why that school is being considered by so prestigious an athlete and consider it as well. FBI will tell us all about it when someone realizes this and monetizes it. :jk:

JPtheBeasta
04-25-2018, 11:43 AM

I just saw on a Jeopardy! clue—and confirmed in a Forbes article—that (face-to-face) word-of-mouth advertising is the most effective tool. It probably goes for recruiting, as well.

thespywhozaggedme
04-25-2018, 12:02 PM

Kyle Bankhead is an assistant at UNCG

soccerdud
04-25-2018, 02:05 PM
Kyle Bankhead is an assistant at UNCG

is there an actual link between kyle or uncg and mccorkle? or are you just throwing out that we have a program connection in the same city?

thespywhozaggedme
04-25-2018, 03:11 PM
is there an actual link between kyle or uncg and mccorkle? or are you just throwing out that we have a program connection in the same city?

The later. Just a coincidence probably

soccerdud
04-25-2018, 03:14 PM
The later. Just a coincidence probably

kk, thanks.

thespywhozaggedme
04-25-2018, 04:22 PM
kk, thanks.

No problem. CDC84 asked if there is any connection between a kid from Greensboro and Gonzaga and the only connection I could think of was Kyle Bankhead

DixieZag
04-26-2018, 07:10 AM
I think that the Bankhead connection - though speculation - makes as much sense as any. Wiki tells me that Grnbro is a little bigger than Spokane, it would make sense that a 9th grade kid that is a 5-star has been going to the local D-1 basketball camp for a few years and it is not hard to envision one of the young assistants pulling the kid aside and saying; "You know who you should really consider? And I can set up a meeting ..."

Zagdawg
06-30-2018, 02:36 PM
Jake

Verified account

@jakeweingarten
Following Following @jakeweingarten
More
2021 five-star Carson McCorkle is taking an unofficial to Gonzaga tomorrow, per source. #Zags

sittingon50
06-30-2018, 03:54 PM
Whoa. Interesting.

Zags_Fanatic
06-30-2018, 06:06 PM
Jake

Verified account

@jakeweingarten
Following Following @jakeweingarten
More
2021 five-star Carson McCorkle is taking an unofficial to Gonzaga tomorrow, per source. #Zags

Very nice, wonder if he's in town for Hoopfest and is taking advantage of the situation. What a great weekend for him to take a look!

Zagceo
06-30-2018, 06:09 PM
from last year....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSbpYe7LH2c

doctorzag
06-30-2018, 06:46 PM
Very nice, wonder if he's in town for Hoopfest and is taking advantage of the situation. What a great weekend for him to take a look!

He is here with his team participating in Hoopfest.

thespywhozaggedme
06-30-2018, 07:36 PM

I think my speculation with the Bankhead connection was the correct one.

ZagsGoZags
06-30-2018, 07:49 PM
His hair is half way to the Dickau, Matt Bouldin look already.

Bogozags
07-01-2018, 12:43 PM
Make sure he gets a steady dose of "tacos!"

ZagDad84
07-01-2018, 10:53 PM

Exactly. He is a member of USA Basketball 3-on-3 tournament team that won Hoopfest.

If in town, take an unofficial visit to a top #10 team that you normally would not visit and have to waste one of your official visits.

No Bankhead, no conspiracy, just in town to win Hoopfest with Team USA.

Maybe if GU shows well, he may make an official visit later. Gonzaga not out much and if he is interested, maybe we get lucky.

ZagDad

thespywhozaggedme
07-02-2018, 07:57 AM
Exactly. He is a member of USA Basketball 3-on-3 tournament team that won Hoopfest.

If in town, take an unofficial visit to a top #10 team that you normally would not visit and have to waste one of your official visits.

No Bankhead, no conspiracy, just in town to win Hoopfest with Team USA.

Maybe if GU shows well, he may make an official visit later. Gonzaga not out much and if he is interested, maybe we get lucky.

ZagDad

To the best of my knowledge we've never recruited a player from Greensboro, NC before. A former Gonzaga player and grad assistant is now an assistant coach at UNC Greensboro and all of a sudden we offer a kid from Greensboro. You think it's just a coincidence? You could be right.

strikenowhere
07-02-2018, 08:22 AM
To the best of my knowledge we've never recruited a player from Greensboro, NC before. A former Gonzaga player and grad assistant is now an assistant coach at UNC Greensboro and all of a sudden we offer a kid from Greensboro. You think it's just a coincidence? You could be right.

Yeah I somehow doubt UNC Greensboro would look the other way while an employee recruits a highly skilled basketball recruit to another school?

thespywhozaggedme
07-02-2018, 09:36 AM
Yeah I somehow doubt UNC Greensboro would look the other way while an employee recruits a highly skilled basketball recruit to another school?

"recruits"? The kid is a 5 star located 30 minutes from Duke. UNCG has zero shot at him, zero. Obviously Bankhead knows of him via coaching contacts in the city(G'boro isn't very big) how difficult would it be for him to call or text Tommy or Few and say "hey, there's a kid here that you should take a look at"? I mean, you honestly think that it's a coincidence that the first kid we ever offered from Greensboro NC is at the same time that a former Zags player and grad assistant is now an assistant in Greensboro? You could be right.

ZagDad84
07-02-2018, 10:49 AM

To the best of my knowledge, no USA 3-on-3 team has played in Hoopfest before. The young man did not come here on his own, he came with team USA. If he had no interest in GU, then obviously he would not have taken an unofficial visit to GU this weekend. Having Bankhead less than 30 miles away does not hurt, but I don't think Bankhead's presence will matter much.

If he takes an official visit to GU, I would tend to get a little more excited. Still think our chances of getting him our slim, but having him in Spokane during Hoopfest and him taking an unofficial site visit to GU, is all good. Other than bringing him in during a game at the kennel, we showed as good as we could have.

ZagDad

WyoZag
07-02-2018, 11:03 AM
"recruits"? The kid is a 5 star located 30 minutes from Duke. UNCG has zero shot at him, zero. Obviously Bankhead knows of him via coaching contacts in the city(G'boro isn't very big) how difficult would it be for him to call or text Tommy or Few and say "hey, there's a kid here that you should take a look at"? I mean, you honestly think that it's a coincidence that the first kid we ever offered from Greensboro NC is at the same time that a former Zags player and grad assistant is now an assistant in Greensboro? You could be right.

You're right, it wouldn't be that hard for Bankhead to call. Aside from the lack of difficulty, do you leave room that someone on the staff saw him play at an AAU tournament and made contact? Those things are national events, right?

I mean, Mark Few and staff never target kids who are knockdown shooters and have some bounce to their game. Those kids just don't stand out. Probably had a former player or assistant give them the jump on Grayson Allen a few years ago before offering, too.

cggonzaga
07-02-2018, 11:49 AM
You're right, it wouldn't be that hard for Bankhead to call. Aside from the lack of difficulty, do you leave room that someone on the staff saw him play at an AAU tournament and made contact? Those things are national events, right?

I mean, Mark Few and staff never target kids who are knockdown shooters and have some bounce to their game. Those kids just don't stand out. Probably had a former player or assistant give them the jump on Grayson Allen a few years ago before offering, too.

Haha appreciate the effort but you’re not going to convince him otherwise.

webspinnre
07-02-2018, 11:58 AM
It's amazing the silly things we fight argue about during the offseason.

MDABE80
07-02-2018, 12:05 PM
It's amazing the silly things we fight argue about during the offseason.

BOY ARE YOU right! Speaking of which. 4 months before November. We've gone through April, May and June and no major detonations yet. Only minor skirmishes.

WyoZag
07-02-2018, 12:14 PM
Haha appreciate the effort but you’re not going to convince him otherwise.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. :)

McCorkle received an offer from Iowa before ever playing a high school game. I wonder if they had a former player coaching basketball at his middle school? It's preposterous that Iowa could have identified a prospect outside its geographical footprint without help.

thespywhozaggedme
07-02-2018, 12:39 PM
To the best of my knowledge, no USA 3-on-3 team has played in Hoopfest before. The young man did not come here on his own, he came with team USA. If he had no interest in GU, then obviously he would not have taken an unofficial visit to GU this weekend. Having Bankhead less than 30 miles away does not hurt, but I don't think Bankhead's presence will matter much.

If he takes an official visit to GU, I would tend to get a little more excited. Still think our chances of getting him our slim, but having him in Spokane during Hoopfest and him taking an unofficial site visit to GU, is all good. Other than bringing him in during a game at the kennel, we showed as good as we could have.

ZagDad

Oh, OK I see the disconnect now. You didn't read this thread from the beginning, did you? We offered him way before his team got to Spokane. My point was that for me it is more than mere coincidence that the first kid that we ever offered from Greensboro North Carolina is located in the same city where a former Gonzaga player and grad assistant is now an assistant coach. Again, it could be a mere coincidence but I highly doubt it.

thespywhozaggedme
07-02-2018, 12:41 PM

I appreciate the Snark, but we offered Grayson after his junior year I believe. I honestly don't know how much national run a freshman from Greensboro North Carolina got, but he is a five star so I would imagine a lot but again if you think it is purely coincidental that he plays in the same city where our former player and grad assistant coaches, you may very well be right.

thespywhozaggedme
07-02-2018, 12:43 PM
OK, so it is apparent by all of the replies in this thread that I am the only person that thinks there's a remote possibility that Bankhead may have alerted Few or Tommy about this kid and I don't want to beat a dead horse much more than I already have so I will concede that I am probably wrong and it is just a coincidence.

thespywhozaggedme
07-02-2018, 12:44 PM
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. :)

McCorkle received an offer from Iowa before ever playing a high school game. I wonder if they had a former player coaching basketball at his middle school? It's preposterous that Iowa could have identified a prospect outside its geographical footprint without help.

55 posted in 11 years. Are they all that sarcastic? I post that many in the day, but again I have no life.

kitzbuel
07-02-2018, 01:44 PM
55 posted in 11 years. Are they all that sarcastic? I post that many in the day, but again I have no life.There are better things to do in Wyoming than cruise the net. Plus the net ain't real fast there.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

WyoZag
07-02-2018, 01:57 PM
55 posted in 11 years. Are they all that sarcastic? I post that many in the day, but again I have no life.

Not at all. Rank speculation and talking down to everyone who disagrees with it (even the well reasoned approach) deserved a response dripping with sarcasm.

I probably have seventy posts total since beginning to follow previous versions of this board in about 01-02. I would rather sit back and observe. Basically hoping to learn tidbits about the program, and what potentially goes on behind the scenes rather than being the loudest guy in the room.

bartruff1
07-02-2018, 01:59 PM
It is summer in Wyoming now.....poor sledding for a couple months..... Perhaps the Russians are behind this whole thing........

I will be amazed if that kid doesn't go to Duke....or North Carolina.....

Just kidding about Wyoming...it is a outdoor paradise and I hike in the Wind River Range often....more grizzly bears than people....

soccerdud
07-02-2018, 02:57 PM
just throwing this out there... maybe wyozag is actually kyle bankhead-- and he's trying to throw us all off his scent so that word doesn't get back to his current employer (UNCG) and get him fired for helping GU.

... nah.

thespywhozaggedme
07-02-2018, 03:06 PM
Not at all. Rank speculation and talking down to everyone who disagrees with it (even the well reasoned approach) deserved a response dripping with sarcasm.

I probably have seventy posts total since beginning to follow previous versions of this board in about 01-02. I would rather sit back and observe. Basically hoping to learn tidbits about the program, and what potentially goes on behind the scenes rather than being the loudest guy in the room.

Dude, this is a basketball message board where adults talk about teenagers throwing a ball through a hoop. I, like you am a completely irrelevant anonymous dork who's posts have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on what takes place on the court. One of us realizes that.

ZagDad84
07-02-2018, 03:37 PM
Dude, this is a basketball message board where adults talk about teenagers throwing a ball through a hoop. I, like you am a completely irrelevant anonymous dork who's posts have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on what takes place on the court. One of us realizes that.

For Once Spy, I can say that you got that 100% correct in all aspects.

Congratulations,

ZagDad

thespywhozaggedme
07-02-2018, 03:55 PM

Congratulations,

ZagDad

I have never once been in denial of any of that. I embrace my dorkiness and my irrelevant mediocrity. I don't take myself too seriously, I'm a 46-year-old man posting on a message board about teenagers trying to throw a ball through a hoop. LOL

Zagceo
07-02-2018, 04:35 PM
don't sell yourself short spy....SUPERMAN wears his underwear on the outside ...some dorks are not dorks to other dorks:lmao:

jazzdelmar
07-02-2018, 04:50 PM
Coaches swap names of prospects all the time. This isn’t Cold War diplomacy boys and girls. Still, we have no chance.

DixieZag
07-02-2018, 05:33 PM
Coaches swap names of prospects all the time. This isn’t Cold War diplomacy boys and girls. Still, we have no chance.

Ah, someone making sense.

I didn't' at all think it was that "out there" that Bankhead would pull him aside. None. Nor did I think this constituted a "fight" in any way, but then I have a higher tolerance for disagreement than is often healthy.

Jazz, this is exactly the type of player that would show very sincere, very strong interest in us, bc of how we play, the family atmosphere, the national championship we won 2 years prior, (slipped it in), all that ...and we'll be in the last 3 ...and he'll go to either Duke/UNC as his destiny, OR, he will exercise his inner rebel and go to UVA.

Amirite?

JPtheBeasta
07-02-2018, 06:37 PM
Ah, someone making sense.

I didn't' at all think it was that "out there" that Bankhead would pull him aside. None. Nor did I think this constituted a "fight" in any way, but then I have a higher tolerance for disagreement than is often healthy.

Jazz, this is exactly the type of player that would show very sincere, very strong interest in us, bc of how we play, the family atmosphere, the national championship we won 2 years prior, (slipped it in), all that ...and we'll be in the last 3 ...and he'll go to either Duke/UNC as his destiny, OR, he will exercise his inner rebel and go to UVA.

Amirite?

Dixie with the scoop. The tip to GU on McCorkle came from non other than Kenny Logins.

bartruff1
07-02-2018, 06:49 PM
I doubt he is interested in playing defense for Tony and averaging 12 ppg…….who knows.... by that time K will be retired and the Celtics will be looking for a new coach.....

Malastein
07-02-2018, 07:22 PM

Pretty sure you said the same thing about Harris...

thebigsmoove
07-03-2018, 05:40 AM

Congratulations,

ZagDad

:000tens:

willandi
07-03-2018, 06:02 AM
I don't know anything, so don't take it as fact, but just maybe THIS KID IS SICK OF HEARING ABOUT THE ACC, DUKE AND NC AND JUST WANTS TO GET AS FAR AWAY FROM HOME AS HE CAN!

BUMP

DixieZag
07-03-2018, 08:24 AM
BUMP

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post

And can anyone really blame him? Because I know that I lived in the exact opposite corner of the country, and at the time ALSO was sick of hearing about the ACC, Duke, UNC, and wanted to get further away ...

Zagceo
07-03-2018, 09:09 AM

silly season....think Anton Watson feeling this way about GU WCC growing up:lmao:

TravelinZag
07-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Do you folks hear (read) yourselves?? Other than there is a player in Spokane for Hoop Fest that might match up with the Zags, few facts. Loads of speculation: could be, maybe, no he didn't, yes he did, what actually happened could be, nothing to support, i know a guy whose sister's bff knows prospect and says he said, couldn't be, might, won't, etc. etc. Three pages of drivel, conjecture, speculation, arguments, hypotheticals.

I'm as anxious as anyone ro see the Zags add at least one more player for this year and next. BUT, I don't have any facts, do not control any thing, than you do. Wishing doesn't make it so. The coaches will, if they can. And with several good, uncommitted prospects in Spokane, they will not miss a chance. I'll hope and wait. In the meantime, I'm as bored as you. You are mostly smart, savvy and knowledgeable basketball fans, and this thread it beneath you.

ZagDad84
07-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Do you folks hear (read) yourselves?? Other than there is a player in Spokane for Hoop Fest that might match up with the Zags, few facts. Loads of speculation: could be, maybe, no he didn't, yes he did, what actually happened could be, nothing to support, i know a guy whose sister's bff knows prospect and says he said, couldn't be, might, won't, etc. etc. Three pages of drivel, conjecture, speculation, arguments, hypotheticals.

I'm as anxious as anyone ro see the Zags add at least one more player for this year and next. BUT, I don't have any facts, do not control any thing, than you do. Wishing doesn't make it so. The coaches will, if they can. And with several good, uncommitted prospects in Spokane, they will not miss a chance. I'll hope and wait. In the meantime, I'm as bored as you. You are mostly smart, savvy and knowledgeable basketball fans, and this thread it beneath you.

Fact: 5-Star Player was in town playing for Team USA for Hoopfest

Fact (According to Spokesman-Review): Said player took an unofficial visit to GU during his time in Spokane.

Fact (According to Spy): Gonzaga has already offered player a scholarship.

With the exception of a few posters trying to tie our former player and former Grad Assistant (Bankhead) to providing "insider" info on the player to the GU coaching staff (as if they were unaware of a 5-star recruit), how is this thread any different from any other thread discussing potential recruits? Not sure why you think this thread has so little value.

Fact: Until the recruit gives a verbal commit and/or signs their LOI, most everything is conjecture.

ZagDad

raise the zag
07-03-2018, 11:10 AM
If I had to put a % chance on this happening: ummm...5%. And that's being generous.

Odds? 100:1.

Long shot? The longest in history of Gonzaga's east coast recruits. Oh wait...

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-03-2018, 12:35 PM

So nobody post anything until when exactly? Thanks for laying the ground rules on what’s permissible for a message board. Good grief.

JPtheBeasta
07-04-2018, 08:51 AM
There's a relative dearth of stuff to talk about during the summer, and much more white noise than during the year. It's one of those things that is probably just best to accept. Only 4 more months... <sigh>

Zagdawg
09-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Carson Mccorkle

@carson_m2433
Following Following @carson_m2433
More
I am very excited to announce my commitment to play my college career for Coach Tony Bennett and The University of Virginia! Thank you to everyone who has supported me along the way. Go Wahoos!!!!

hooter73
09-21-2018, 08:16 PM
Meh, it was a long shot. Good luck to him.

thespywhozaggedme
09-21-2018, 08:56 PM
He's a sophomore in high school. Who knows if Tony Bennett will even be the coach by the time he graduates.

cggonzaga
09-21-2018, 09:27 PM
He's a sophomore in high school. Who knows if Tony Bennett will even be the coach by the time he graduates.

Haha and where would Tony go? Guy is already a legend there.

sittingon50
09-21-2018, 11:35 PM

He's gonna' take a pay cut to come & revive the Cougs!

thespywhozaggedme
09-22-2018, 04:15 AM

Charlotte hornets? Rumor was he was a top-five candidate this last time around. He played there in the late 90s

DixieZag
09-22-2018, 08:50 AM
Charlotte hornets? Rumor was he was a top-five candidate this last time around. He played there in the late 90s

I have a tough time believing someone would give up millions coaching at the beautiful UVA, and all the luxuries, time away and coachable kids that go with it, to grind in the NBA. I don't know much, but I sure know which choice I would make.

jazzdelmar
09-22-2018, 09:26 AM

QED.

MDABE80
09-22-2018, 10:17 AM
I have a tough time believing someone would give up millions coaching at the beautiful UVA, and all the luxuries, time away and coachable kids that go with it, to grind in the NBA. I don't know much, but I sure know which choice I would make.

Can't argue at all on this Dix. No argument. That campus is just spectacular and so are the people.

willandi
09-22-2018, 11:32 AM
Can't argue at all on this Dix. No argument. That campus is just spectacular and so are the people.

But Pullman doesn't ever get hurricanes!