04-18-2018, 05:36 PM
Maybe we could merge all three threads...:roll:

o/t but welcome back.

Zags11
04-18-2018, 05:58 PM
So about spokane...

DixieZag
04-18-2018, 07:51 PM
An interesting hypothetical, say a highly desirable tx like Cremo states he wants to be a Zag.

Do we take the very very good bird in the hand, or do we wait until we hear from possible 2 year play and 5-star recruit, Williams?

I feel like we should be "all-in" on winning the N.C. next year. IF we had a commitment in hand from a guy as good as Cremo, we should snatch it up and close up the spot. The theory being that assuring ourselves of having "one" of them is the primary concern.

Of course, GoZags rightly pointed out that an entire iceberg lies below the surface we don't know about. I'm just throwing out a hypo for discussion purposes. It would not be an obvious call. But, based on the information WE have it seems like we need one of the two. If the 1 year player said he'd come, I might give up the 2 year player on the basis of assuring ourselves one of those guys for next year.

Interesting times.

ZagsObserver
04-18-2018, 08:10 PM
If it wasn’t for the Perkins injury I wouldn’t think another body was all that necessary or imperative. But we don’t know how quickly Perkins will recover, or whether he can gandle 35 minutes a game. For that reason, a pg that can come in and contribute at a high level could be key.

soccerdud
04-18-2018, 08:11 PM
i'm excited about williams and think we have a chance -- but if cremo said he'd sign today, i'd send him the papers and not think twice. gotta take the sure thing.

have their been any updates on flynn? are we even definitively linked with him?

cjm720
04-19-2018, 05:43 AM
Cremo in a tough spot basically having to wait on Williams’ decision before he can decide. IF he were to say to Zags he wants to come to GU before Williams decides, I can see Zags asking him to wait until they know what William is doing. Commiting to Cremo before then would seemingly take Zags out of the running for Williams.

I’d confirm w Cremo as soon as he wanted to commit.

Dunno. I have a hard time believing Cremo is worried about B Will. Either would be a huge get but I’d prob lean with Cremo due to experience.

hondo
04-19-2018, 06:52 AM
Back to the real topic--snow

In several parking lots around Spokane snow piles remained well into May.

basketballzag
04-19-2018, 06:53 AM
Dunno. I have a hard time believing Cremo is worried about B Will. Either would be a huge get but Iíd prob lean with Cremo due to experience.

In my opinion (strictly gut feeling) Brandon Williams is going to recommit to Arizona not Oregon or Gonzaga. His final three video was posted on April 16th (AFTER the Oregon visit) and the lyrics clearly state that he "isn't afraid to cross that line and pay up fines" and "that's my top three in the order" which is a pretty subtle hint of where he is leaning as of three days ago. The picture of Arizona was #1, Oregon was #2, and Gonzaga #3. My feeling is that the Arizona coaching staff's recruiting pitch have told him the maximum penalty they will receive from this FBI matter is nothing more than a fine so don't worry about any post-Season or NCAA ban talk. I do believe that depending on how the visit goes that Gonzaga will leapfrog Oregon but its not enough even with all the evidence that Gonzaga is the better fit for him that its not enough to pry him away from his childhood dream of playing for Arizona.

Cremo and Flynn commitments would be my preference.

GorgeZag
04-19-2018, 09:04 AM
Cremo dropped Oregon, let's get him in for a visit!

thespywhozaggedme
04-19-2018, 09:06 AM

Uh oh, maybe he heard that BWill is gonna be a duck

dhozagfan08
04-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Dunno. I have a hard time believing Cremo is worried about B Will. Either would be a huge get but I’d prob lean with Cremo due to experience.

I was thinking thay is why a visit hasnt been scheduled, because he is waiting to see where b will goes.

Coach Crazy
04-19-2018, 09:21 AM
In my opinion (strictly gut feeling) Brandon Williams is going to recommit to Arizona not Oregon or Gonzaga. His final three video was posted on April 16th (AFTER the Oregon visit) and the lyrics clearly state that he "isn't afraid to cross that line and pay up fines" and "that's my top three in the order" which is a pretty subtle hint of where he is leaning as of three days ago. The picture of Arizona was #1, Oregon was #2, and Gonzaga #3. My feeling is that the Arizona coaching staff's recruiting pitch have told him the maximum penalty they will receive from this FBI matter is nothing more than a fine so don't worry about any post-Season or NCAA ban talk. I do believe that depending on how the visit goes that Gonzaga will leapfrog Oregon but its not enough even with all the evidence that Gonzaga is the better fit for him that its not enough to pry him away from his childhood dream of playing for Arizona.

Cremo and Flynn commitments would be my preference.

First and foremost, if that ends up being true about AZ, then very disappointing. That a school would be ok with that kind of dishonesty, and a player would be ok, as well? I hope that's not the case. Would be interested to hear your take on Flynn, and why he's a preference of yours...

thespywhozaggedme
04-19-2018, 09:38 AM
I was thinking thay is why a visit hasnt been scheduled, because he is waiting to see where b will goes.

did you seem post directly above yours? if our conspiracy theory is correct, BWill could be Eugene bound since Cremo canceled his trip there.

MDABE80
04-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Back to the real topic--snow

In several parking lots around Spokane snow piles remained well into May.
Hondo you were there................;) But our "snow" dalliance was erased.
Meanwhile. I do hope Cremo comes. He's an immediate need and a proven D1 player. With the offense Few's running these days, he'd fit right in.

doctorzag
04-19-2018, 10:04 AM

Source??

GorgeZag
04-19-2018, 10:24 AM
Source??

Duckterritory lead writer. Said both Cremo and their other target Matt Mooney eliminated the ducks. For what that's worth.

soccerdud
04-19-2018, 11:45 AM
His final three video was posted on April 16th (AFTER the Oregon visit) and the lyrics clearly state that he "isn't afraid to cross that line and pay up fines" and "that's my top three in the order" which is a pretty subtle hint of where he is leaning as of three days ago. The picture of Arizona was #1, Oregon was #2, and Gonzaga #3. My feeling is that the Arizona coaching staff's recruiting pitch have told him the maximum penalty they will receive from this FBI matter is nothing more than a fine so don't worry about any post-Season or NCAA ban talk. I do believe that depending on how the visit goes that Gonzaga will leapfrog Oregon but its not enough even with all the evidence that Gonzaga is the better fit for him that its not enough to pry him away from his childhood dream of playing for Arizona.

so, i'm on the record as saying that i think people are reading WAY too much into the lyrics of the song, including listing the reasons why. i am curious, do you have some knowledge or an argument in support of your interpretation? or is it just basically: "hey, there are words here, they MUST be meaningful"? it's an honest question; i can't tell whether your post is real insight or just another poster -- though admittedly a connected one -- falling into the same trap (my interpretation, obviously).

DixieZag
04-19-2018, 11:56 AM
Just a thought:

In my mind, the time spent analyzing where the young man's mind is now is near irrelevant, because it appears he will not commit until he has visited GU.

To me, any order in his head prior to visiting GU is meaningless. He knows and respects the coaches, and has expectations about what a big time program should "look" and feel like. He may visit and see that GU is way more than he figured, may see that the guys are dead serious about winning next year, and see that he could play a role in a FF team at GU (but maybe not at the other places).

My overworded point is, he won't commit until after a visit. So, he will either be blown away/impressed and sign, or he will not. But, what he currently thinks is all formed without having visited GU, I would expect the school "not visited" to be 3rd on the list.

I'd rather spend time analyzing how they will sell Gonzaga - whether he thinks he's committed to AZ or UO or not - bc I have a great deal of faith that what we have to offer is hard to turn down, for anyone. Especially, a spot on this coming year's team.

Worthington
04-19-2018, 03:03 PM
Cremo highlights. Personally I'm not sold he's the missing piece. Heck of a shooter though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQWUW7MR0xY

doctorzag
04-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Zach Johnson to Miami.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-19-2018, 05:35 PM

I went through the lyrics of both songs with a fine-tooth comb. No secret messages detected :(

I don't recommend reading them for yourself.

raise the zag
04-19-2018, 05:58 PM
Cremo highlights. Personally I'm not sold he's the missing piece. Heck of a shooter though.

He is good though.

Very creative in the paint, his shot is crisp, clean, confident, automatic. His ball handling looks sound.

He is choosing b/w Texas, Creighton, Gonzaga, & Penn St.

I love this kids game. Totally sold, and I'm a skeptical person.

Imagine the shooting prowess of Perkins. Norvell. Cremo. Kispert in the backcourt.

ALL potentially over 40% 3pt guys.

I really hope we at least schedule a visit...and soon!

JPtheBeasta
04-19-2018, 06:02 PM
I went through the lyrics of both songs with a fine-tooth comb. No secret messages detected :(

I don't recommend reading them for yourself.

As someone who lived many of his formative years in the 80's, I'd recommend listening to it backwards.

cggonzaga
04-19-2018, 07:01 PM
so, i'm on the record as saying that i think people are reading WAY too much into the lyrics of the song, including listing the reasons why. i am curious, do you have some knowledge or an argument in support of your interpretation? or is it just basically: "hey, there are words here, they MUST be meaningful"? it's an honest question; i can't tell whether your post is real insight or just another poster -- though admittedly a connected one -- falling into the same trap (my interpretation, obviously).

+1

Zags_Fanatic
04-19-2018, 11:50 PM
Souley Boum transferring from USF according to Jeff Goodman. He looked like a future star for the Dons, sorry to see him go.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/987127527490629632?s=19

thespywhozaggedme
04-20-2018, 06:04 AM
Souley Boum transferring from USF according to Jeff Goodman. He looked like a future star for the Dons, sorry to see him go.

Yeah, he's a good one, was bay area player of the year his senior year. He's just a little undersized.

JPtheBeasta
04-20-2018, 08:18 AM
Anybody know where heís going?

ETA: tried to find info on this and came across his biometrics... 6í3Ē 145 lbs(!) I knew he was skinny, but yikes

thespywhozaggedme
04-20-2018, 08:59 AM
Anybody know where he’s going?

ETA: tried to find info on this and came across his biometrics... 6’3” 145 lbs(!) I knew he was skinny, but yikes

yeah, there's no way he's 6'3, not sure where you got that from. he's maybe 5'10, maybe.

JPtheBeasta
04-20-2018, 09:01 AM
yeah, there's no way he's 6'3, not sure where you got that from. he's maybe 5'10, maybe.

I didn’t pull it out of my ass, but these guys might have:

https://247sports.com/player/souley-boum-46045193

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/souley-boum-1.html

MDABE80
04-20-2018, 09:25 AM
Very good player. Smallish to be sure. WCC is diminished by this loss.....and surely USF is.

sittingon50
04-20-2018, 09:49 AM
Was a starter early in the year & had some good games. Good Luck to him.

kitzbuel
04-20-2018, 11:17 AM

Starter on my WCC all time great names team.

thespywhozaggedme
04-20-2018, 11:24 AM
I didnít pull it out of my ass, but these guys might have:

https://247sports.com/player/souley-boum-46045193

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/souley-boum-1.html

yeah, that's gotta be a typo. I remember in one of the games the announcers specifically mentioned that he was Bay Area player of the year but a lot of schools passed on him due to his height. I believe the announcers said he was 5'10, but regardless, he's a baller.

maynard g krebs
04-20-2018, 01:51 PM
yeah, that's gotta be a typo. I remember in one of the games the announcers specifically mentioned that he was Bay Area player of the year but a lot of schools passed on him due to his height. I believe the announcers said he was 5'10, but regardless, he's a baller.

USF site lists him as 6'3 as well. So that would make 3 typos. Of course nobody listed as 6'3 really is, but I think you are confusing his skinny build w/ his height. Probably a legit 6'1 or 6'2.

raise the zag
04-20-2018, 02:29 PM
I gotta say, people are really under-rating Cremo.

The kid is a career 42% 3pt shooter, shot nearly 46% from 3pt last year. Those are Pangos #'s.

Averaged 4 assists as well, all the while being the NUMBER ONE option on his team. He scored 20+ pts vs several high level teams, and played significant minutes since he was a freshman.

He didn't shoot THAT many 3's either, thus many of his points are/were coming in the paint, or mid-range shots. All things current Zag guards don't do, save Norvell.

Some may be underwhelmed by his first step, yet once he's in the lane, he's a decisive, confident, and crafty scorer, along with passer. He rarely got his shot blocked, and converted his TWO POINT attempts at 46%. Tremendous for a lead guard.

His efficiency #'s currently ranked NUMBER ONE amongst every single transfer and grad transfer alike.

A guy to light up 3's, play smart offense, be a team player, scorer when necessary, provide a spark, and most importantly, play PG from time to time is something we desperately need.

Couldn't ask for a better transfer opportunity this year, imho.

I feel he's every bit as well rounded and good as Jordan Mathews and would compare them very closely.

Coach Crazy
04-20-2018, 03:11 PM
USF site lists him as 6'3 as well. So that would make 3 typos. Of course nobody listed as 6'3 really is, but I think you are confusing his skinny build w/ his height. Probably a legit 6'1 or 6'2.

Definitely. And I would rather have a player that lacks weight, as opposed to lacking skill. Especially if you have S&C coach like Travis. Boum is just participating in the new trend: upward mobility. Another reason why it's going to be difficult for conferences that are outside a certain level of quality to improve without drastic changes.

This kid was a sleeper pick.

GoZags
04-20-2018, 04:16 PM

I'll get excited about this kid (and his play) if he chooses to become a Zag. And I'd only compare him to Jordan Mathews if he makes the same decision about his Senior year that Jordan did.

cggonzaga
04-20-2018, 07:39 PM
I'll get excited about this kid (and his play) if he chooses to become a Zag. And I'd only compare him to Jordan Mathews if he makes the same decision about his Senior year that Jordan did.

And if he makes a clutch 3 in sweet 16 to help us get to another final four!

BULLDOG#1
04-21-2018, 09:09 AM

That's really too bad for the WCC. He was so fun to watch - had moments where he absolutely shredded the zag defense. I enjoyed watching Boum and FF's fast paced offense.

It's a big loss... when I think about it, and I realize much of this was Rexy related, SF has lost a ton of talent in the last decade.

raise the zag
04-21-2018, 09:57 PM
Villanova reaches out today:

'Nova interested in Albany transfer Joe Cremo (https://www.vuhoops.com/2018/4/21/17265652/villanova-basketball-recruiting-joe-cremo-albany-transfer)

A Kansas Assistant also contacted him recently. He has already turned down Duke. He seems realistic about playing time, fit, and becoming a better player in his final season.

A very good interview via Texas Longhorns site with Joe:

Texas hosts important graduate transfer target. (https://texas.rivals.com/news/texas-hosts-important-graduate-transfer-target-for-a-key-visit-this-weekend)

“They play I style I like to really play. Just a bunch of guys that seem unselfish and play together… for me having a gym that has 24-hour access is big. Just being able to get in the gym whenever I want and have the resources…. It’s all about basketball at the end of the day. It’s not about facilities or arenas. It’s about basketball, and the fit.”

“The whole point for me is to be a complete player,” he said when asked about the importance of a fit that will allow him to be more than just a shooter. “How can you be complete if you’re just a shooter? I want to elevate people around me, and make them the best they can be and try to do that on both ends of the floor. Scoring for me, I’ve never forced it. Let it come to me and play to my strengths… that’s what I’ve always seen with the best players.”

He publicly announced a "Final 5" to the media, yet that was before Jay Wright came around. I still think Joe will remain focused on his Top-5. Interestingly, Gonzaga is the only school of his priority list who did not do an in-home visit with him.

No visit has been set up with us, but have to assume something is in the works...

Zagger
04-22-2018, 11:22 AM
Great buddy of mine whoís from NY but now lives in Bozeman (for the skiing) says this about Cremo via text today ....

Nice - he led our HS team to its only two state titles - which in NY is huge - itís almost impossible for suburban boys to beat the NYC schools - rarely happens - he did it back to back - then played 3 or 4 years at Albany state now hopes to get deep in the tourney. I told my brother to let his dad know that he would get a warm welcome in Spokane - my brother and Joeís dad are friends - j
Be neat if we could land Cremo :)

MDABE80
04-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Villanova reaches out today:

'Nova interested in Albany transfer Joe Cremo (https://www.vuhoops.com/2018/4/21/17265652/villanova-basketball-recruiting-joe-cremo-albany-transfer)

A Kansas Assistant also contacted him recently. He has already turned down Duke. He seems realistic about playing time, fit, and becoming a better player in his final season.

A very good interview via Texas Longhorns site with Joe:

Texas hosts important graduate transfer target. (https://texas.rivals.com/news/texas-hosts-important-graduate-transfer-target-for-a-key-visit-this-weekend)

He publicly announced a "Final 5" to the media, yet that was before Jay Wright came around. I still think Joe will remain focused on his Top-5. Interestingly, Gonzaga is the only school of his priority list who did not do an in-home visit with him.

No visit has been set up with us, but have to assume something is in the works...

Sounds like OUR guy! He's a Zag but doesn't know it yet. I'm sure he will. Coaches don't ignore this type of kid. A Mathews or a Wesley. I do think he'd be a huge addition.

raise the zag
04-22-2018, 03:18 PM
Sounds like OUR guy! He's a Zag but doesn't know it yet. I'm sure he will. Coaches don't ignore this type of kid. A Mathews or a Wesley. I do think he'd be a huge addition.

Completely agree. IF he visits he's a Zag.

No doubt.

However, as good as our staff is/are, we have been occupied and focused on B-Will.

The week everyone did an in home with Cremo, we did one with Brandon Williams.

The wkend Cremo was hoping to visit, we adjusted to Williams moving to next wkend, etc.

I recognize how good of a talent Williams is, yet really want Joe to become a Zag. It would change his life, imo. And just think he is a perfect fit of trying to fit in, rather than taking over.

Hell, he has been public about not demanding a starting spot, just wants more than 10 mpg. Wants to "earn" PT and have a chance to play in March.

Birddog
04-22-2018, 04:12 PM
So what you guys and gals are saying is that he's the Cremo the crop?

cggonzaga
04-22-2018, 04:23 PM

I see what you did there.

Zagger
04-22-2018, 04:25 PM

Good :) I sure hope he ends up at GU. We've got a lot of cream in the coming crop. He'd sure fit right in.

thespywhozaggedme
04-22-2018, 06:31 PM

:allhail::000tens:

thespywhozaggedme
04-22-2018, 07:20 PM
Koby McEwen to Marquette:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/2018/04/22/marquette-adding-transfer-point-guard-koby-mcewen-utah-state/540998002/

Murphy outgo lifer
04-22-2018, 07:38 PM
Completely agree. IF he visits he's a Zag.

However, as good as our staff is/are, we have been occupied and focused on B-Will.

The week everyone did an in home with Cremo, we did one with Brandon Williams.

The wkend Cremo was hoping to visit, we adjusted to Williams moving to next wkend, etc.

I recognize how good of a talent Williams is, yet really want Joe to become a Zag. It would change his life, imo. And just think he is a perfect fit of trying to fit in, rather than taking over.

Hell, he has been public about not demanding a starting spot, just wants more than 10 mpg. Wants to "earn" PT and have a chance to play in March.

Is the bold section true? Was this stated somewhere?

As far as not taking a home visit with Cremo because we were visiting B Williams that seems rather odd given that it was only one day we were visiting. Could they not find the time to see both?

There has been some frustration with the the coaching staff's perceived focus on Brandon Williams, however, up until reading this statement I thought they were doing a great job balancing recruiting. They re-offered Brandon Williams when he reopened his recruitment but they also reached out to other guards such as, James Akinjo, Cremo, Zach Johnson, Marcus Carr, Aaron Calixte, and Malachi Flynn. They were going hard after Williams but still reaching out to other point guards they just have swung and missed on most of these guys - a recent trend in our recruiting unfortunately.

If they really have not visited Cremo because of one meeting with Brandon Williams and actually moved Cremo's visit because of Williams I would say that was a huge mistake. Putting one recruit on the back-burner for a guy that we have been recruiting for years and only recently seemed to actually consider us an option seems like wishful thinking.

I am sure they have communicated with Cremo that they have offered Brandon William's first and are waiting and seeing on him but letting Cremo know that they are very interested in him - at least I hope they are. Why they could not do an in-home with him seems like not a very good sign for us though and then they move his visit. Do not be surprised when when Cremo chooses someone else because you treated him as a second option.

strikenowhere
04-22-2018, 08:07 PM

As far as not taking a home visit with Cremo because we were visiting B Williams that seems rather odd given that it was only one day we were visiting. Could they not find the time to see both?

There has been some frustration with the the coaching staff's perceived focus on Brandon Williams, however, up until reading this statement I thought they were doing a great job balancing recruiting. They re-offered Brandon Williams when he reopened his recruitment but they also reached out to other guards such as, James Akinjo, Cremo, Zach Johnson, Marcus Carr, Aaron Calixte, and Malachi Flynn. They were going hard after Williams but still reaching out to other point guards they just have swung and missed on most of these guys - a recent trend in our recruiting unfortunately.

If they really have not visited Cremo because of one meeting with Brandon Williams and actually moved Cremo's visit because of Williams I would say that was a huge mistake. Putting one recruit on the back-burner for a guy that we have been recruiting for years and only recently seemed to actually consider us an option seems like wishful thinking.

I am sure they have communicated with Cremo that they have offered Brandon William's first and are waiting and seeing on him but letting Cremo know that they are very interested in him - at least I hope they are. Why they could not do an in-home with him seems like not a very good sign for us though and then they move his visit. Do not be surprised when when Cremo chooses someone else because you treated him as a second option.

To be fair - I'm pretty sure that Williams was a high-priority target during the original recruitment phase too; this isn't like a sudden fling.

thespywhozaggedme
04-22-2018, 08:41 PM

Your post seems to be full of a lot of assumptions. How do you know that we swung and missed on those other players? Just because there was a small blurb that we reached out to them does not mean that we actually offered them. Plus Cremo lives in New York and Brandon Williams in California not sure how you can do in-home visits back to back across country.

cggonzaga
04-22-2018, 09:33 PM
We’ve been on Williams for 2-3 years. CDC claims we finished 2nd when he committed to Arizona. He certainly takes precedent over somebody that just made himself available a month ago. While some seem to believe we have the inside track on Cremo, I’ve read nothing that states such.

Murphy outgo lifer
04-22-2018, 09:34 PM
Your post seems to be full of a lot of assumptions. How do you know that we swung and missed on those other players? Just because there was a small blurb that we reached out to them does not mean that we actually offered them. Plus Cremo lives in New York and Brandon Williams in California not sure how you can do in-home visits back to back across country.

Was there only one day that Cremo was doing in-home visits? I guess I am confused on that. I am wondering why they have not flown over to meet him on any day in the past few weeks.

For the other portion of your comment we offered James Akinjo:

@VerbalCommits
Follow Follow @VerbalCommits
More
Arizona, Baylor, Gonzaga, Seton Hall and Utah offered 2018 Salesian (CA) G James Akinjo. (HT @coreyevans_10) http://verbalcommits.com/players/james-akinjo …

He committed to Georgetown.

Yes, some assumptions on the others. The first is that when the blurb says that we reach out to the recruit I am assuming that means we are interested in that player. Secondly, when the next quote from the player states their final 4 or 5 schools and we are not listed that means that the player stated they were not interested in us. It could be a number of other reasons but I think the staff generally puts feelers out to these guys and if they are interested move forward in the process. In my opinion, that is a swing and a miss if they reach out to a kid and they are not interested but that is a part of recruiting (some recruits are just never going to be interested in us). But you are right some assumptions on my part.

Murphy outgo lifer
04-22-2018, 09:40 PM
We’ve been on Williams for 2-3 years. CDC claims we finished 2nd when he committed to Arizona. He certainly takes precedent over somebody that just made himself available a month ago. While some seem to believe we have the inside track on Cremo, I’ve read nothing that states such.

We very well could have been 2nd as I have no inside information. What I do know is that he took 10 visits to other schools prior to committing to Arizona and we were not one of them.

He flew 3,000 miles to visit UCONN
He has unofficially visited Cal
He has unofficially visited UCLA; TWICE
He has unofficially visited USC
He has unofficially visited Nevada
He has unofficially visited Arizona: THRICE
He flew nearly 2,000 miles to unofficially visit Kansas

cggonzaga
04-22-2018, 11:21 PM
We very well could have been 2nd as I have no inside information. What I do know is that he took 10 visits to other schools prior to committing to Arizona and we were not one of them.

He flew 3,000 miles to visit UCONN
He has unofficially visited Cal
He has unofficially visited UCLA; TWICE
He has unofficially visited USC
He has unofficially visited Nevada
He has unofficially visited Arizona: THRICE
He flew nearly 2,000 miles to unofficially visit Kansas

Not sure I get your point? He didn’t take one official visit anywhere before committing to Arizona which I believe was his dream school. The “fact” we finished 2nd, site unseen, tells me we made quite an impression. Unofficial visits seem more like “we happen to be in the neighborhood” ordeals than true interest. The way these basketball kids travel the country nowadays that wouldn’t surprise me at all. He could’ve taken those visits totally paid for if he was truly interested in those schools.

thespywhozaggedme
04-23-2018, 05:12 AM
Was there only one day that Cremo was doing in-home visits? I guess I am confused on that. I am wondering why they have not flown over to meet him on any day in the past few weeks.

For the other portion of your comment we offered James Akinjo:

@VerbalCommits
Follow Follow @VerbalCommits
More
Arizona, Baylor, Gonzaga, Seton Hall and Utah offered 2018 Salesian (CA) G James Akinjo. (HT @coreyevans_10) http://verbalcommits.com/players/james-akinjo …

He committed to Georgetown.

Yes, some assumptions on the others. The first is that when the blurb says that we reach out to the recruit I am assuming that means we are interested in that player. Secondly, when the next quote from the player states their final 4 or 5 schools and we are not listed that means that the player stated they were not interested in us. It could be a number of other reasons but I think the staff generally puts feelers out to these guys and if they are interested move forward in the process. In my opinion, that is a swing and a miss if they reach out to a kid and they are not interested but that is a part of recruiting (some recruits are just never going to be interested in us). But you are right some assumptions on my part.

You're missing the point though; it's obvious to virtually everyone that Brandon Williams is unequivocally their top priority, ahead of every other point guard including Akinjo and Cremo. If they did offer Akinjo Im sure that they told him that Brandon Williams was their top priority, reading the tea leaves it appears that they told this to Joe Cremo as well. Some people are OK being the back up plan, see Greg Foster Junior regarding Will Richardson, many or not.

MontanaCoyote
04-23-2018, 04:13 PM

The kid is a career 42% 3pt shooter, shot nearly 46% from 3pt last year. Those are Pangos #'s.

Averaged 4 assists as well, all the while being the NUMBER ONE option on his team. He scored 20+ pts vs several high level teams, and played significant minutes since he was a freshman.

He didn't shoot THAT many 3's either, thus many of his points are/were coming in the paint, or mid-range shots. All things current Zag guards don't do, save Norvell.

Some may be underwhelmed by his first step, yet once he's in the lane, he's a decisive, confident, and crafty scorer, along with passer. He rarely got his shot blocked, and converted his TWO POINT attempts at 46%. Tremendous for a lead guard.

His efficiency #'s currently ranked NUMBER ONE amongst every single transfer and grad transfer alike.

A guy to light up 3's, play smart offense, be a team player, scorer when necessary, provide a spark, and most importantly, play PG from time to time is something we desperately need.

Couldn't ask for a better transfer opportunity this year, imho.

I feel he's every bit as well rounded and good as Jordan Mathews and would compare them very closely.

Tend to agree. I guess itís fair to say that BW is the more athletic, talented player, but he lacks one thing that could make the difference for the Zags; Collegiate experience. Another Nigel?

This is not in any way to take away the experience Perks provides, just means experience squared.

No sense expressing a preference. Just hope we convince one or the other that the Zags are THE place to be.

thebigsmoove
04-24-2018, 05:09 AM
You're missing the point though; it's obvious to virtually everyone that Brandon Williams is unequivocally their top priority, ahead of every other point guard including Akinjo and Cremo. If they did offer Akinjo Im sure that they told him that Brandon Williams was their top priority, reading the tea leaves it appears that they told this to Joe Cremo as well. Some people are OK being the back up plan, see Greg Foster Junior regarding Will Richardson, many or not.

I really dont dig the idea of referring to incoming players as "backup plans". I think Will Richardson was being recruited for the same slot that Brandon Williams is being recruited for. I think Joe Cremo is being recruited for that slot as well.

thespywhozaggedme
04-24-2018, 05:50 AM
I really dont dig the idea of referring to incoming players as "backup plans". I think Will Richardson was being recruited for the same slot that Brandon Williams is being recruited for. I think Joe Cremo is being recruited for that slot as well.

Well then you're not being realistic. At all. Brandon Williams is their #1 priority, bottom line. And it was actually open knowledge that Greg Foster Jr. was waiting to know what WR would do before we offered him. it was discussed in a few threads. It's ok to be a "backup" plan, so of our best players were.

thebigsmoove
04-24-2018, 07:07 AM
Well then you're not being realistic. At all. Brandon Williams is their #1 priority, bottom line. And it was actually open knowledge that Greg Foster Jr. was waiting to know what WR would do before we offered him. it was discussed in a few threads. It's ok to be a "backup" plan, so of our best players were.

Foster and/or his people were quoted as stating he was waiting to find out what Richardson was going to do? I havent seen that, is there a specific link to that you can provide? Not being a contrarian, just would like to see that myself.

thespywhozaggedme
04-24-2018, 07:16 AM
Foster and/or his people were quoted as stating he was waiting to find out what Richardson was going to do? I havent seen that, is there a specific link to that you can provide? Not being a contrarian, just would like to see that myself.

It was in the recruiting threads last year. It was pretty well-known that he wasn't going to get an official offer until we knew what Will Richardson was going to do. Once he chose Oregon we offered Foster and he jumped on it. Some people get offended knowing they're a backup plan, others use it as motivation; no biggie either way.

DixieZag
04-24-2018, 08:39 AM
Gotta be one of the toughest balancing acts Coach Few takes on, priority in recruitment. He has earned the right to claim a seat at the table with any coach in the country, really shouldn't consider any kid "over his head."

But, seems that for a school like us to get the "5-star" kids requires us to be all-in right from the start (there could be other factors at play, why 5 stars seem to fall into other elite's laps, $$$/FBI). As with Zach Collins, it can work, and the results speak for themselves. With a Wiltjer, it can ...crush us at first? (Not sure if we "lost" anyone, counting on Wiltjer out of H.S.)

Mark Few wouldn't be Mark Few, and he wouldn't be Mark Few at Gonzaga University, if he were not going to be fully honest and candid, respecting every recruit. I am sure every kid wants to hear "We want you, only you, need you, will name the plane after you." I'm sure some coaches will say it all the time, with every recruit. With Few, I'm pretty sure it's like the talk with the "father figure" in a family you might join. "Here is our situation, son. I respect that you have to make decisions, too. We have this that and the other. But, we also highly value you. Should there be a place for you, we will commit to you fully, mind, body, soul. But, you need to know this situation as it stands now, I'll always be honest with you ..."

Very tough. the "5-stars" seem to have an ability to take you 4 games deep in the tourney. But, even including the fact that you're dealing with the whims of 18 year old kids, there are just so many truly "unknowns" the possibility of "missing" must weigh heavy. Not feeling sorry for him, he's well paid and respected to make the call. Just gotta be tough.

Zagceo
04-24-2018, 09:05 AM
majority of top recruits see 9 players made the NBA from GU....thats 2 seasons worth at Duke or Kentucky ...just my opinion

https://i.imgur.com/b2E210d.png

thespywhozaggedme
04-24-2018, 09:34 AM
majority of top recruits see 9 players made the NBA from GU....thats 2 seasons worth at Duke or Kentucky ...just my opinion

Sacre, Collins and Sabonis are missing from that picture for whatever reason.

Bouldin4Prez
04-24-2018, 10:06 AM

True, however, the Duke and Kentucky guys arrive already in the 1st round of many mock drafts whereas we are taking off the nba radar guys and putting them into the league. It's a chicken or the egg situation with the blue bloods putting guys in the league. So far we have gotten one McDonalds All-American, Zach Collins, and he was able to go 10th overall in what many consider a loaded draft after coming off the bench for one season with Gonzaga.

DixieZag
04-24-2018, 10:24 AM
True, however, the Duke and Kentucky guys arrive already in the 1st round of many mock drafts whereas we are taking off the nba radar guys and putting them into the league. It's a chicken or the egg situation with the blue bloods putting guys in the league. So far we have gotten on McDonalds All-American and he was able to go 10th overall in what many consider a loaded draft after coming off the bench for one season with Gonzaga.

Well said.

Guys like Olynick, Sacre, they certainly put the work in and deserve most of the credit, but I don't think even they would argue that they would be (been) in the NBA without having first been at Gonzaga. Even Sabonis likely benefited tremendously from choosing GU over other places, though he probably couldn't be kept out of the league no matter what.

Coach Crazy
04-24-2018, 10:29 AM

There is a chance for this to begin to change with Dominick Harris. Will be interesting to see how many high-4's and 5's want to play with this kid in 2020. But he's going to be something very special. He will not be a long-term player at GU.

MDABE80
04-24-2018, 11:03 AM
" If they did offer Akinjo Im sure that they told him that Brandon Williams was their top priority, reading the tea leaves it appears that they told this to Joe Cremo as well" says Spy.
Why do you think that. I don't.

Half the faces on the wall are women players. I don't know if male recruits would be impressed by that.

thebigsmoove
04-24-2018, 11:16 AM
It was in the recruiting threads last year. It was pretty well-known that he wasn't going to get an official offer until we knew what Will Richardson was going to do. Once he chose Oregon we offered Foster and he jumped on it. Some people get offended knowing they're a backup plan, others use it as motivation; no biggie either way.

So just assumed then. Ok.

thespywhozaggedme
04-24-2018, 01:10 PM
So just assumed then. Ok.

I didn't post it. I don't get your point, do you honestly believe that coaches rank all recruits that play the same position equally?

doctorzag
04-24-2018, 01:59 PM
" If they did offer Akinjo Im sure that they told him that Brandon Williams was their top priority, reading the tea leaves it appears that they told this to Joe Cremo as well" says Spy.
Why do you think that. I don't.

Half the faces on the wall are women players. I don't know if male recruits would be impressed by that.

If a staff told me to wait because I was a backup plan to whom they really wanted I might look elsewhere to play.
I also agree that the male recruits may not be impressed but the womens team are also using the facility.

229SintoZag
04-24-2018, 02:42 PM
Where is Austin Daye?

cjm720
04-24-2018, 04:08 PM
If a staff told me to wait because I was a backup plan to whom they really wanted I might look elsewhere to play.

It wouldnít feel good.

Do our coaches even do this? Itís written as fact by some here but it just seems off. As in a conditional offer is normal? Maybe I am getting old school but an offer should be an offer. I have a hard time believing Few would pass on a transfer he wanted for his top recruit. Makes no sense. He would find room some way to give scholarships and allow them co-exist, opposed to pitting their recruitment against each other. Just doesnít seem like how it should go but would love to hear some perspectives.

GorgeZag
04-24-2018, 04:54 PM
Where is Austin Daye?

And big Rob.

doctorzag
04-24-2018, 05:01 PM
It wouldnít feel good.

Do our coaches even do this? Itís written as fact by some here but it just seems off. As in a conditional offer is normal? Maybe I am getting old school but an offer should be an offer. I have a hard time believing Few would pass on a transfer he wanted for his top recruit. Makes no sense. He would find room some way to give scholarships and allow them co-exist, opposed to pitting their recruitment against each other. Just doesnít seem like how it should go but would love to hear some perspectives.

Exactly. I think they will take both if they could get them. The offer to Cremo is there and has nothing to do with whether Williams commits.

raise the zag
04-24-2018, 05:16 PM

Honestly, where are Sabonis and Collins? Both lottery picks.

Must be more to that pic...

DixieZag
04-24-2018, 05:46 PM

Not sure what you're trying to say and I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but given that the women's team uses the facility, given that the women's team recruits, and given that women recruits have similar aspirations to the guys, it is likely those pictures are their to impress the women recruits.

The other thing it says to me is "we are all Zags" in a larger sense. The men's team brings in the lion's share of the money, that doesn't mean that the women's team isn't highly valued or some after-thought. I know you know this, I'm saying it says that symbolically, too.

I liked it. Side by side. I am sure other players are pictured elsewhere.

Coach Crazy
04-24-2018, 07:16 PM
Not sure what you're trying to say and I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but given that the women's team uses the facility, given that the women's team recruits, and given that women recruits have similar aspirations to the guys, it is likely those pictures are their to impress the women recruits.

The other thing it says to me is "we are all Zags" in a larger sense. The men's team brings in the lion's share of the money, that doesn't mean that the women's team isn't highly valued or some after-thought. I know you know this, I'm saying it says that symbolically, too.

I liked it. Side by side. I am sure other players are pictured elsewhere.

The success of female basketball players is irrelevant to recruiting for men's basketball, unless the player specifically states it's a relevant value. You can both support and appreciate the women's program and acknowledge that reality.

OntZags
04-25-2018, 09:45 AM
Ricky Torres - first team AA Juco player - just committed to Wichita St. I know there was some rumblings we were looking at him.

Hopefully a good omen that we are well positioned to snag Williams or Cremo.

thespywhozaggedme
04-25-2018, 09:52 AM
Ricky Torres - first team AA Juco player - just committed to Wichita St. I know there was some rumblings we were looking at him.

Hopefully a good omen that we are well positioned to snag Williams or Cremo.

Yeah I was the one that was raving about his mix tapes. His highlight reel was amazing. Wichita State got a good one

thespywhozaggedme
04-29-2018, 08:46 PM
Ike Obiagbu, 7 footer from Florida State transferring. He had 4 points and 6 rebounds in 10 minutes against us.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401025874

MDABE80
04-29-2018, 10:48 PM
The success of female basketball players is irrelevant to recruiting for men's basketball, unless the player specifically states it's a relevant value. You can both support and appreciate the women's program and acknowledge that reality.

This Dixie. No other meaning.

OntZags
04-30-2018, 05:02 AM
Ike Obiagbu, 7 footer from Florida State transferring. He had 4 points and 6 rebounds in 10 minutes against us.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401025874

He's a shot blocking machine. 2.1 BPG in only 10 minutes. Would be a great get to refine for a year in the clinic.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/990926981767278592

Cremo is apparently opening up his top-5 as he will be visiting both Villanova & Kansas. Hopefully we'll be locking down Williams because the Cremo recruitment just got a lot tougher.

thespywhozaggedme
04-30-2018, 05:54 AM
He's a shot blocking machine. 2.1 BPG in only 10 minutes. Would be a great get to refine for a year in the clinic.

Cremo is apparently opening up his top-5 as he will be visiting both Villanova & Kansas. Hopefully we'll be locking down Williams because the Cremo recruitment just got a lot tougher.

Apparently BWill got a Nova offer too, didn't realize that. Kinda amusing to see the usually non-plussed Jay Wright scrambling to find last minute players like everyone else. lol

caldwellzag
04-30-2018, 12:08 PM

With Cremo opening his top 5 up I would think that might be a good sign for us and BWill. We have been the only team on Cremo's top 5 to not make a huge push for him and we still are there??? My guess is he is wanting to join us, but with BWill the priority maybe Cremo knows something we don't know.

raise the zag
04-30-2018, 12:36 PM
With Cremo opening his top 5 up I would think that might be a good sign for us and BWill. We have been the only team on Cremo's top 5 to not make a huge push for him and we still are there??? My guess is he is wanting to join us, but with BWill the priority maybe Cremo knows something we don't know.

Big mistake for Cremo to consider Kansas.

He'd get 5 mpg there...terrible fit.

Gotta think Creighton or us. Maybe Nova IF DD leaves.

He liked Texas yet they just rec commitment from Top 50 PG.

caldwellzag
04-30-2018, 12:37 PM
Big mistake for Cremo to consider Kansas.

He'd get 5 mpg there...terrible fit.

Gotta think Creighton or us. Maybe Nova IF DD leaves.

He liked Texas yet they just rec commitment from Top 50 PG.

Hopefully we have the same issue of signing a top 50 PG on Saturday!

thespywhozaggedme
05-03-2018, 12:05 PM
Apparently Evan Fitzner left SMC for Indiana. I had no idea he was transferring.

Bogozags
05-03-2018, 12:21 PM
Apparently Evan Fitzner left SMC for Indiana. I had no idea he was transferring.

That’s a big loss for SMC...he would have been a starter

jazzdelmar
05-03-2018, 12:23 PM

Indiana of Pennsylvania? Indiana Mines? Our Lady of Indiana? Surely not Bloomington.

Coach Crazy
05-03-2018, 12:24 PM

WCC: The Conference of Champions...

sittingon50
05-03-2018, 12:26 PM

Been following that on the Gael's board for a few days. Someone over there was thinking back in January that this was gonna' happen.

Indiana seems pretty weird, though. I can only surmise that it must be about something other than PT.

zagsfanforlife
05-03-2018, 12:29 PM
Been following that on the Gael's board for a few days. Someone over there was thinking back in January that this was gonna' happen.

Indiana seems pretty weird, though. I can only surmise that it must be about something other than PT.

Must be a walk on spot... he was OK... just ok. Not athletic at all.. slow.. could shoot the three a little.

thespywhozaggedme
05-03-2018, 12:32 PM
Indiana of Pennsylvania? Indiana Mines? Our Lady of Indiana? Surely not Bloomington.

He's now a Hoosier

thespywhozaggedme
05-03-2018, 12:33 PM

IU was atrocious this past season and the natives were already getting restless with Archie.

seacatfan
05-03-2018, 01:47 PM
Fitzner to Indiana might be similar to Tollefsen going to Arizona several years ago. Had a few good moments, but largely was in over his head.

maynard g krebs
05-03-2018, 06:23 PM

I think if he'd have been a starter he'd have stayed. SMC may be bringing in their best group of recruits/transfers. Fitzner never seemed to get better from his fr year.

Nevada Don
05-03-2018, 07:00 PM
I think if he'd have been a starter he'd have stayed. SMC may be bringing in their best group of recruits/transfers. Fitzner never seemed to get better from his fr year.

Thanks Maynard G. for the most accurate post IMO.
RB didn't want Evan Fitzner to leave. Fitzner had ongoing concerns about his playing time. RB accommodated Evan's desire to leave. He wouldn't have started in most peoples opinion. He didn't start last season. SMC has 2 4's (that were not available last season) to take his place and a frosh coming in. Really not concerned.
He is a really good guy. And he is a good player, averaged over 40% on 3's over 3 years I think? The Gaels will flourish IMHO once the players learn each others names.

raise the zag
05-03-2018, 07:36 PM
Thanks Maynard G. for the most accurate post IMO.
RB didn't want Evan Fitzner to leave. Fitzner had ongoing concerns about his playing time. RB accommodated Evan's desire to leave. He wouldn't have started in most peoples opinion. He didn't start last season. SMC has 2 4's (that were not available last season) to take his place and a frosh coming in. Really not concerned.
He is a really good guy. And he is a good player, averaged over 40% on 3's over 3 years I think? The Gaels will flourish IMHO once the players learn each others names.

besides Page, I thought Fitzner was their most impressive looking player during the NIT run.

I do agree SMC has a highly underrated squad next year, very impressed with the transfers, euro big, and some intriguing recruits.

Not surprising given the relative consistency, but losing Fitzner hurts more than most realize, imho.

SMC will be fine, and in good hands, but he could ball when he brought it.

Nevada Don
05-03-2018, 08:16 PM
besides Page, I thought Fitzner was their most impressive looking player during the NIT run.

I do agree SMC has a highly underrated squad next year, very impressed with the transfers, euro big, and some intriguing recruits.

Not surprising given the relative consistency, but losing Fitzner hurts more than most realize, imho.

SMC will be fine, and in good hands, but he could ball when he brought it.

Another smart guy. Hey, GU has quite a few that post here. :clap:
"Page" is a typo though I think. Think Fitzner had 20 versus UW so a real nice game for him towards the end.

Zags_Fanatic
05-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Woah, Tramaine Isabell is going to cause a serious battle. He will graduate this summer and be eligible immediately. Averaged 21/7.5/3.4 last season at Drexel.

https://twitter.com/DrexelMBB/status/992462332688322561

Zags_Fanatic
05-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Woah, Tramaine Isabell is going to cause a serious battle. He will graduate this summer and be eligible immediately. Averaged 21/7.5/3.4 last season at Drexel.

Just thought I would add that he played with J3 at Missouri in 2014-15 so there might be a good connection there.

zagsfanforlife
05-04-2018, 10:48 AM

Not really the additional pg the zags are looking for and not a great shooter. Good scorer though. I wonder if the Zags would be interested.

Coach Crazy
05-04-2018, 10:50 AM
Not really the additional pg the zags are looking for and not a great shooter. Good scorer though. I wonder if the Zags would be interested.

Not a good defender, either. Net negative, and not by a little. Not efficient, either.

Zags_Fanatic
05-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Not a good defender, either. Net negative, and not by a little. Not efficient, either.

Haven't seen him play, but there is no way a player with a PER of 25+ is a net negative. Not a great 3 point shooter but 54.5% from 2 is totally respectable for a guard. I don't see any reason to say he isn't efficient.

doctorzag
05-04-2018, 11:26 AM

7.5 rebounds per game for a 6-1 guard. Thats crazy.

zagsfanforlife
05-04-2018, 11:27 AM
7.5 rebounds per game for a 6-1 guard. Thats crazy.

True-- thats outstanding. Just based on who they are interested in (cremo, williams), not sure he fits that mold.

doctorzag
05-04-2018, 11:39 AM
True-- thats outstanding. Just based on who they are interested in (cremo, williams), not sure he fits that mold.

He is from Seattle. I imagine Washington is all over this guy.

raise the zag
05-04-2018, 11:49 AM
Cremo just announced his new Top 5, and said 'no particular order'.

Texas
Nova
Kansas
Creighton
Gonzaga

We are still being mentioned and listed by him.

I have to think the staff is still in contact. They would have to be.

Given how honest, transparent, & trustworthy they are...they most likely told Joe, "we have been recruiting a guard for the past 2 yrs, and we are awaiting his final decision on Saturday. We want to give you the best chance/opportunity possible, so if he goes elsewhere, we'd love to host you for a visit, and discuss a plan for next season."

This is my assumption.

maynard g krebs
05-04-2018, 12:00 PM
I saw Isabell a few times his senior yr at Garfield. Really athletic and a talented scorer, plays hard but I don't see him fitting in w/ the Zags' style.

Coach Crazy
05-04-2018, 12:43 PM
Haven't seen him play, but there is no way a player with a PER of 25+ is a net negative. Not a great 3 point shooter but 54.5% from 2 is totally respectable for a guard. I don't see any reason to say he isn't efficient.

Net negative on defense. As far as efficiency, there are stats for that. He's got a 4.1 OBPM, 114.4 ORtg, and a USG% at 30.2, with 34.4 mpg....that's not efficient. You could make the case for things like experience, or different team dynamics at Drexel, or better system (or all of the above), but when his minutes were closer to 20mpg, he did not do well.

Zags_Fanatic
05-04-2018, 01:53 PM
Net negative on defense. As far as efficiency, there are stats for that. He's got a 4.1 OBPM, 114.4 ORtg, and a USG% at 30.2, with 34.4 mpg....that's not efficient. You could make the case for things like experience, or different team dynamics at Drexel, or better system (or all of the above), but when his minutes were closer to 20mpg, he did not do well.

Still can't speak on defense, although he is undersized which would be a concern on the perimeter. USG% and mpg are going to go way down because his role will be diminished, but if you told me we could get a grad transfer with a PER of 25.3 (higher than every Zag last year except Tillie at 25.4) and ORtg of 114.4 that averages 21/7.5/3.4 as a guard I would say that player is worth a very long look. Probably not ahead of Williams and Cremo but a very worthy grad transfer that is going to get interest from just about everyone that has a spot on the roster and a need for a guard.

Bouldin4Prez
05-04-2018, 01:59 PM

Almost everyone in the basketball analytics community agrees that for the most part, defensive advanced metrics are extremely flawed at this point in time. They are more of a team/lineup stat than an individual stat in 95% of cases. Hard to put a lot of stock in that. I may be wrong here, but I thought that a 114.4 ORtg was good? I'm not trying to say this is the best player ever, but seems like he could be a serviceable depth guy as a grad transfer.

soccerdud
05-04-2018, 02:07 PM

just from the offensive perspective...

last year he had a 1.5:1 A/TO rate, top-500 eFG and TS% (both in the mid-50s, putting him basically between jp/zn [upper 50s] and silas [low-50s] -- @ almost 150% of their usage rate). you're right that there are numbers for this, and he's plenty efficient to fit in. stylistically i am less sure -- i've never seen him play -- but the big thing that bwill would give us is the ability to attack the defense off the dribble, and the numbers (good ortg, high usage rate, high 2pt%, high ft% and rate, and fouls drawn rate -- along with a low-ish 3pt%) would seem to indicate that's TI's strength as well.

you are correct that his numbers were WAY better last year getting more playing time at drexel vs less at mizzu -- but the additional positive is that he played his best (142 ortg) in their biggest game vs the best competition-- a neutral court victory against a talented, athletic, and defensively elite houston team.

i don't know what the right answers are, but i think your conclusion doesn't hold with the numbers as i see them.

Zags_Fanatic
05-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Here is Sam Vecenie's take on Isabell that was posted today before the transfer announcement:

A transfer from the Kim Anderson days at Missouri, Isabell was a star in the CAA this year. He got absolutely wherever he wanted on the floor in pick-and-rolls with his quickness and handle, drew fouls at a high rate and was successful with his floater game. He pushes the ball out on the break well, too. He’s undersized for the NBA and isn’t quite a good enough shooter or decision-maker yet to really succeed at that level, but he’ll have plenty of options open to him this summer. Turning 23 just days after the draft, Isabell will graduate this summer. That leaves the world open to him. He could choose to explore a transfer to play immediately next year in the NCAA, could decide to simply move on from college with his degree and start his pro career, or return to Drexel and make a run at CAA player of the year. If he goes pro, he’ll be a prolific bucket-getter overseas, much like former University of Indianapolis guard Darius Adams.

I'm pretty happy with everything in this evaluation, to be honest.

Zags_Fanatic
05-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Here are the highlights to the biggest comeback in NCAA history, Drexel coming back to beat Delaware after being down by 34. Isabell with 30-12-9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swU-Y2wD91A

cjm720
05-04-2018, 04:01 PM
Like him. A lot. Would help immediately with his age/experience. Pretty crafty, seems fearless. Why not?!!!

Coach Crazy
05-04-2018, 06:37 PM
Almost everyone in the basketball analytics community agrees that for the most part, defensive advanced metrics are extremely flawed at this point in time. They are more of a team/lineup stat than an individual stat in 95% of cases. Hard to put a lot of stock in that. I may be wrong here, but I thought that a 114.4 ORtg was good? I'm not trying to say this is the best player ever, but seems like he could be a serviceable depth guy as a grad transfer.

Meh. Flawed, but not worthless and certainly not insignificant. Again, if you can point to variables that contribute to the rating itself and feel that those would not be an issue at Gu...that's one thing. You can easily take players like Jordan Mathews and see how much, for instance, a DRtg changes from a very bad defensive team to very good defensive team. Box Plus Minus on defense can actually give you a much better individual picture. If you take a look at this last year for the Zags, it was not simply a matter of getting a good rating because of the team defense. JP had a 1.4, whereas J3 posted a 4.5. That's no small gap, for BPM. Your argument works better for stuff like defensive rating.

Coach Crazy
05-04-2018, 07:03 PM
just from the offensive perspective...

last year he had a 1.5:1 A/TO rate, top-500 eFG and TS% (both in the mid-50s, putting him basically between jp/zn [upper 50s] and silas [low-50s] -- @ almost 150% of their usage rate). you're right that there are numbers for this, and he's plenty efficient to fit in. stylistically i am less sure -- i've never seen him play -- but the big thing that bwill would give us is the ability to attack the defense off the dribble, and the numbers (good ortg, high usage rate, high 2pt%, high ft% and rate, and fouls drawn rate -- along with a low-ish 3pt%) would seem to indicate that's TI's strength as well.

you are correct that his numbers were WAY better last year getting more playing time at drexel vs less at mizzu -- but the additional positive is that he played his best (142 ortg) in their biggest game vs the best competition-- a neutral court victory against a talented, athletic, and defensively elite houston team.

i don't know what the right answers are, but i think your conclusion doesn't hold with the numbers as i see them.

He had a big game, when others from his team having a big game. It's not representative of the larger sample size that we have. It's an outlier. You're cherry picking a bit with some of your stats, as well. Unless you think he's going to come in and be a jump shooter and not do much else outside of that. Can't sweep that high of a USG% and that high of minutes played under the rug. As well, not only did he need far more minutes and increased role, but the strength of schedule decreased dramatically. Even joining Gonzaga would mean it doubling in difficulty.

Also, he'd be coming to a team where he'd be a second unit guy. And that second unit is going to need a guard option that doesn't require such high usage, or minutes, to bake his bread. Less floor time, more defined role, and a more difficult schedule don't seem to be things that would necessarily work in his favor. Unless of course you can make some of those aforementioned arguments concerning conditions.

soccerdud
05-04-2018, 08:32 PM
He had a big game, when others from his team having a big game. It's not representative of the larger sample size that we have. It's an outlier. You're cherry picking a bit with some of your stats, as well. Unless you think he's going to come in and be a jump shooter and not do much else outside of that. Can't sweep that high of a USG% and that high of minutes played under the rug. As well, not only did he need far more minutes and increased role, but the strength of schedule decreased dramatically. Even joining Gonzaga would mean it doubling in difficulty.

Also, he'd be coming to a team where he'd be a second unit guy. And that second unit is going to need a guard option that doesn't require such high usage, or minutes, to bake his bread. Less floor time, more defined role, and a more difficult schedule don't seem to be things that would necessarily work in his favor. Unless of course you can make some of those aforementioned arguments concerning conditions.

did your brain do somersaults writing this? the comment about the houston game was specifically because that's the *one* data point we have about whether he's likely to regress against better competition when he's surrounded by better play (result: he stepped up). and the statistics -- you accuse me of "cherrypicking" and trying to sweep the "usg% and... high... minutes played under the rug" -- but what i cited was simply last year's numbers for some of the most highly respected and referenced usage-controlled statistics that describe offensive performance.

so, the numbers say he was a high-usage player with fine efficiency (production / opportunity, in case there was confusion). unless his efficiency goes down with lower usage and better looks (significantly less likely than the opposite), the low-end of his expected utility would be an attacking ballhandler with a scoring efficiency roughly splitting the difference between JP and silas last year. that's what the numbers i can find all say and you have shown nothing that refutes that. that's also clearly efficient enough to be a rotation player at GU.

beyond that, if he wants to be a zag (and accepts the role that goes with that) and coach & co all agree -- great. doubt there's much interest either way right now, tho.

i have no horse in this race (+/- on isabell), i just didn't think the numbers said what you claimed they did.

Coach Crazy
05-05-2018, 05:53 AM
did your brain do somersaults writing this? the comment about the houston game was specifically because that's the *one* data point we have about whether he's likely to regress against better competition when he's surrounded by better play (result: he stepped up). and the statistics -- you accuse me of "cherrypicking" and trying to sweep the "usg% and... high... minutes played under the rug" -- but what i cited was simply last year's numbers for some of the most highly respected and referenced usage-controlled statistics that describe offensive performance.

so, the numbers say he was a high-usage player with fine efficiency (production / opportunity, in case there was confusion). unless his efficiency goes down with lower usage and better looks (significantly less likely than the opposite), the low-end of his expected utility would be an attacking ballhandler with a scoring efficiency roughly splitting the difference between JP and silas last year. that's what the numbers i can find all say and you have shown nothing that refutes that. that's also clearly efficient enough to be a rotation player at GU.

beyond that, if he wants to be a zag (and accepts the role that goes with that) and coach & co all agree -- great. doubt there's much interest either way right now, tho.

i have no horse in this race (+/- on isabell), i just didn't think the numbers said what you claimed they did.

Yes. You cherry-picked. That's like me saying "overall, the dish was not good." and then you saying "Well, the flavor profile may have been bad, but it was cooked well and had enough salt." Doesn't really matter. No, not mental gymnastics. Pretty straight forward. On a team with as much depth as GU will have, a USG% that high and a MPG that high is a double-negative. Especially when you're talking about someone at the PG position who would also be on a second unit with a lot of talent. And then you add to the fact that with all that time on the floor he only averaged 3.4 assists per game for a 1.17/1 A/T ratio? Yeah, no.

The sample size we have for him against greater competition, with less minutes does not bode well...and he wouldn't be able to be the Tramaine Isabell he was last year. Look at the drop in SOS. It was significant. He went from playing a high level schedule with Mizzou, to an SR SOS that was in the negative. We could attribute his ability to accumulate as much on an increase in time and a decrease in competition. There would absolutely be some regression with coming to a team like GU.

Now, could you make the argument that a 4th year version of Tramaine Isabell could work within the right system? That he has figured things out and was only doing what was asked of him? Sure. But that's not a stats argument. I am perfectly willing to have that discussion. I wasn't worried about J3's second year at Mizzou, as there were factors that made it understandable why it went the way it did.

Aside from his offense, however, is the reality that his defensive production has been bad. Bad enough that it took a huge chunk of the offensive value he provides out of the equation.

zagsfanforlife
05-07-2018, 07:10 AM
I am a sick fan for even thinking this-- probably even sicker for posting this, but Ahmaad Rorie of Montana.. pg who averaged 17 ppg last two years and would be immediately eligible was hanging with perkins last night on Gu's campus.... immediately i thought grad transfer pg?

zagsfanforlife
05-07-2018, 07:13 AM
Dude is pargo reincarnated with a better jumper

SteelCityZag
05-07-2018, 07:14 AM
Ok, so we didn't get BW. Bummed, but it happens. Cremo's list of suitors looks more impressive now than it did a few weeks past. Does anyone have any intel on who else the staff might be looking at in the likely scenario that Cremo chooses Nova or Kansas?

CDC84
05-07-2018, 07:37 AM

That's more to my liking.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
05-07-2018, 08:32 AM
I am a sick fan for even thinking this-- probably even sicker for posting this, but Ahmaad Rorie of Montana.. pg who averaged 17 ppg last two years and would be immediately eligible was hanging with perkins last night on Gu's campus.... immediately i thought grad transfer pg?

Thanks for posting. Everyoneís requirement seems to be that they donít want to talk about a guy until he visits, so I guess we can talk about this guy!

He declared for the draft but didnít hire an agent. He has tournament experience. Maybe one more year of tournament experience is what he needs to make a name for himself before starting his pro career.

Whether itís him or Cremo or someone else, Iím feeling really confident that weíll add one more solid contributing guard to complete our rotation!

zagsfanforlife
05-07-2018, 08:40 AM
Thanks for posting. Everyoneís requirement seems to be that they donít want to talk about a guy until he visits, so I guess we can talk about this guy!

He declared for the draft but didnít hire an agent. He has tournament experience. Maybe one more year of tournament experience is what he needs to make a name for himself before starting his pro career.

Whether itís him or Cremo or someone else, Iím feeling really confident that weíll add one more solid contributing guard to complete our rotation!

In my stalking nature-- i read ahmaad's follow up to his picture and someone commented "youre finally a zag" and he posted "siiiike"... so i guess there is nothing to see here. Womp

Coach Crazy
05-07-2018, 09:01 AM

Little small, but does everything you want. You have to make the case that going to GU provide variables that will allow him to up his game and provide more value than he did with Montana, last year. But worth a look if he were actually transferring. Did he announce that somewhere? Or is this just a wish list type of thing?

zagsfanforlife
05-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Little small, but does everything you want. You have to make the case that going to GU provide variables that will allow him to up his game and provide more value than he did with Montana, last year. But worth a look if he were actually transferring. Did he announce that somewhere? Or is this just a wish list type of thing?

Coach-- it was me taking a picture of josh and him at gonzaga this weekend and starting rumors. Don't mind me.

cggonzaga
05-07-2018, 10:03 AM

Would be nice. Rorie is a good player. Watched him quite a bit at Montana last year.

Coach Crazy
05-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Coach-- it was me taking a picture of josh and him at gonzaga this weekend and starting rumors. Don't mind me.

I would take him over Cremo. Even with the size difference.

MDABE80
05-07-2018, 10:46 AM
https://gogriz.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2501

To me, this is the type of kid that makes sense. Might be a touch short but he's got the skills, works hard and has done well at every stop. I hope he's been in town to get a feel for the place. Cremo is an outstanding candidate if we could get him out here. Lives to be part of a team and win. Both kids are hugely desirable.

caldwellzag
05-07-2018, 11:02 AM

To me, this is the type of kid that makes sense. Might be a touch short but he's got the skills, works hard and has done well at every stop. I hope he's been in town to get a feel for the place. Cremo is an outstanding candidate if we could get him out here. Lives to be part of a team and win. Both kids are hugely desirable.

So is there any real sense out there that he is doing more than just hanging out with Perkins? The thought that keeps coming in my head is the public only knows 5% of what is going on. Why would he be in Spokane if there wasn't interest? Is he a grad transfer? I would assume so as he has 3 years of undergrad under his belt and it's pretty easy to finish in that time for most athletes. He is more of the point guard type that would fall in the BWill mode, what the staff is looking for. Is it even legal for us to talk to him if he hasn't said he is transferring? Sorry for all the questions, just curious.

zagsfanforlife
05-07-2018, 11:07 AM
So is there any real sense out there that he is doing more than just hanging out with Perkins? The thought that keeps coming in my head is the public only knows 5% of what is going on. Why would he be in Spokane if there wasn't interest? Is he a grad transfer? I would assume so as he has 3 years of undergrad under his belt and it's pretty easy to finish in that time for most athletes. He is more of the point guard type that would fall in the BWill mode, what the staff is looking for. Is it even legal for us to talk to him if he hasn't said he is transferring? Sorry for all the questions, just curious.

Based on his response to someone commenting to him being a zag-- i dont think its more than him hanging out with his friend, who is perkins. They were at GU though, so he did see the campus. He was a transfer and sat out a year, so i am fairly certain he has graduated.

caldwellzag
05-07-2018, 11:07 AM
Okay so some stalking on my part. Look under his name it says Gonzaga University.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BididGQH9Bw/

I don't use instagram, so no clue if that's meaningful or not.

So upon more investigation, I am assuming that is the location of the picture, but I do not know forsure. Anyone know how instagram works?

Coach Crazy
05-07-2018, 11:08 AM

He'd have to step up his defense, and his height/length are going to be a little bit of an issue. BUT...dribble-drive penetration is good. Has good rhythm, understands spacing, and hunts his shot. He can also pull up in the mid-range after a drive, finish at the cup, and run an offense. Can also shoot from deep (although he's got to get that % up). His usage would likely go down, so it would be interesting to see how his efficiency was affected. But worth the look.

zagsfanforlife
05-07-2018, 11:15 AM
Okay so some stalking on my part. Look under his name it says Gonzaga University.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BididGQH9Bw/

I don't use instagram, so no clue if that's meaningful or not.

So upon more investigation, I am assuming that is the location of the picture, but I do not know forsure. Anyone know how instagram works?

its the location of the picture. a girl commented on his picture saying "Finally you are a zag" and he responded "lmao. Siiiiiikke".. meaning to me its not happening..

caldwellzag
05-07-2018, 11:24 AM
its the location of the picture. a girl commented on his picture saying "Finally you are a zag" and he responded "lmao. Siiiiiikke".. meaning to me its not happening..

Yeah I saw that part too, wasn't very promising, but wasn't sure what the Gonzaga University meant under it. I saw it on Twitter today too, https://twitter.com/GonzagaGuru

Plus it was interesting to me that Perkin's picture has the caption Spokane, Washington instead of Gonzaga University.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BidhOTdg6Gx/?taken-by=joshperk13

raise the zag
05-07-2018, 11:28 AM
By all accounts, he is very happy at Montana.

I highly doubt he is considering leaving...

He is the MAN at Montana. Remember, he left Oregon to go to Montana...

ps. Rorie listed at 6'1", Perkins 6'3", couldn't tell from that pic (https://www.instagram.com/p/BididGQH9Bw/)...

Goshzagit
05-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Yeah I saw that part too, wasn't very promising, but wasn't sure what the Gonzaga University meant under it. I saw it on Twitter today too, https://twitter.com/GonzagaGuru

Plus it was interesting to me that Perkin's picture has the caption Spokane, Washington instead of Gonzaga University.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BidhOTdg6Gx/?taken-by=joshperk13

FWIW, Rorie has been friends with Perkins for the past 8 yrs. Seems more like a friend visiting a friend, rather than a prospect visiting a potential school.

doctorzag
05-07-2018, 12:36 PM
Malachi Flynn to San Diego State

Zagceo
05-07-2018, 12:36 PM
FWIW, Rorie has been friends with Perkins for the past 8 yrs. Seems more like a friend visiting a friend, rather than a prospect visiting a potential school.

dude looks like a fullback...

doctorzag
05-07-2018, 12:37 PM
I would take him over Cremo. Even with the size difference.

Cremo is superior to him in every facet of the game.

Coach Crazy
05-07-2018, 12:55 PM
Cremo is superior to him in every facet of the game.

No, he's not.

thespywhozaggedme
05-07-2018, 01:49 PM
By all accounts, he is very happy at Montana.

I highly doubt he is considering leaving...

He is the MAN at Montana. Remember, he left Oregon to go to Montana...

ps. Rorie listed at 6'1", Perkins 6'3", couldn't tell from that pic (https://www.instagram.com/p/BididGQH9Bw/)...

Holy cow, what is up with Josh's hairstyle?!?! He looks like Carmen Miranda.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0a/Carmen_Miranda_1941.JPG/492px-Carmen_Miranda_1941.JPG

thespywhozaggedme
05-07-2018, 01:51 PM

Honest question: did we ever offer or show interest? Because I don't have any idea.

23dpg
05-07-2018, 01:56 PM
Former high recruit M J Cage leaving Oregon.
Heís been injured and hasnít played much but at one time he was considered a big time player. I remember someone on this board really pumped him up. Probably too much of a reach for the Zags now.

Coach Crazy
05-07-2018, 02:13 PM
Former high recruit M J Cage leaving Oregon.
He’s been injured and hasn’t played much but at one time he was considered a big time player. I remember someone on this board really pumped him up. Probably too much of a reach for the Zags now.

One of the few 3-star forwards I would be interested in, if the staff feels his health is stable. Especially with the Olynyk Clinic.

thespywhozaggedme
05-07-2018, 03:11 PM
No, he's not.

What statistical category is he better than Cremo?

OntZags
05-07-2018, 04:08 PM

This was Coach's preferred way to frame Cremo's stats earlier so here they are vis a vis Rorie's:

Cremo -- ORtg /DRtg of 123.8/104.4 and a BPM of 4.2, with a DBPM of -0.9, and a PER of 22 while playing an SR SOS of -5.41.
Rorie -- ORtg/DRtg of 113.8/100.8 and a BPM of 2.8 with a DPBMP of -0.1 and a PER of 19.1 while playing an SR SOS of -2.25

Pretty well all the other major metrics I could post would favour Cremo noticeably and SOS doesn't bridge that gap. (Bartorvik values Cremo as worth 0.8 more PPG)

So Cremo is a significantly better 3 point shooter, gets to the line more (5 to 3.9 fta per game) and has a better A2T ratio. Rorie appears to have an edge defensively although he is giving up 3-4 inches.
I like that Rorie made it to the tourney (although that hasn't guys like Matthews from performing well) and Montana did play Michigan tough so that's good. But I gotta lean Cremo pretty hard on this one. Cremo seems to ooze a toughness too that I really like.

We may well be spinning wheels on this one as he may not even be in the market. It does serve as a reminder that who knows what's going on behind the scenes. We may well have other targets besides Cremo lined up. However it goes, I'm confident the staff is going to find a really nice fit.

Coach Crazy
05-07-2018, 06:08 PM

First and foremost, Rorie would have the advantage of actually running an offense, has a better dribble-drive game, and finishes at the rim more effectively. He's also a better defender.

Cremo adds more overall value, but even in some of his statistics (i.e. Total Rebounds, Assists), the edge is minuscule. Also, from what I see, the A/T ratio is a slight edge to Rorie. My argument is not that Cremo doesn't provide instant statistical value over Rorie. It's that I think Rorie would fit better, and benefit greatly from the not only the personnel he'd be playing around, but with the system. And saying that Joe Cremo is superior to Ahmaad Rorie in every single way is false.

BUT if Cremo is *good enough*, it doesn't really matter who you don't get. For my preference, I would take Rorie over Cremo. Nonetheless, it doesn't really matter because the social media that started this doesn't mean anything.

doctorzag
05-07-2018, 06:28 PM
First and foremost, Rorie would have the advantage of actually running an offense, has a better dribble-drive game, and finishes at the rim more effectively. He's also a better defender.

Cremo adds more overall value, but even in some of his statistics (i.e. Total Rebounds, Assists), the edge is minuscule. Also, from what I see, the A/T ratio is a slight edge to Rorie. My argument is not that Cremo doesn't provide instant statistical value over Rorie. It's that I think Rorie would fit better, and benefit greatly from the not only the personnel he'd be playing around, but with the system. And saying that Joe Cremo is superior to Ahmaad Rorie in every single way is false.

BUT if Cremo is *good enough*, it doesn't really matter who you don't get. For my preference, I would take Rorie over Cremo. Nonetheless, it doesn't really matter because the social media that started this doesn't mean anything.

First and foremost, everything you said is just your opinion and not backed up by anything factual like stats. I think Cremo has a better dribble drive game, finishes at the rim more effectively and is a better defender.
How many games have you seen Rorie play? I do not think you even knew who he was before today.

Hoopaholic
05-07-2018, 06:40 PM

Solid fit for him and his style of play

maynard g krebs
05-07-2018, 11:11 PM
One of the few 3-star forwards I would be interested in, if the staff feels his health is stable. Especially with the Olynyk Clinic.

Cage was a 4 star, ranked in the 60-70 range in his hs class. Didn't play up to that ranking for the Ducks, though. Looked very soft and tentative. If memory serves, concussion was the issue when he redshirted. Sat out the beginning of last season, apparently was thinking about leaving the program. Looked like his head wasn't in it at all.

Will lose a season of eligibility unless he goes JC for a year.

Coach Crazy
05-08-2018, 06:05 AM
Cage was a 4 star, ranked in the 60-70 range in his hs class. Didn't play up to that ranking for the Ducks, though. Looked very soft and tentative. If memory serves, concussion was the issue when he redshirted. Sat out the beginning of last season, apparently was thinking about leaving the program. Looked like his head wasn't in it at all.

Will lose a season of eligibility unless he goes JC for a year.

Not on ESPN.

raise the zag
05-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Nevada just secured (2) sneaky good graduate guard transfers for next season today, they are:

6'4", PG Ehab Amin, averaged 17 ppg, 7 rpg, 3 apg for A&M-CC last season

and

6'4", CG Nat Dixon, averaged 14 ppg, 5 rpg, 2 apg for Chattanooga last season.

Not big-school pedigrees/names, yet very effective, nice sized guards to add to their backcourt rotation/depth.

zagsfanforlife
05-08-2018, 12:12 PM
Nevada just secured (2) sneaky good graduate guard transfers for next season today, they are:

and

Not big-school pedigrees/names, yet very effective, nice sized guards to add to their backcourt rotation/depth.

If caroline and the martin boys return, thats a final four teams. You mentioned two of about 6 big time transfers they have eligible next year plus they are a finalist for Jordan Brown

zagsfanforlife
05-08-2018, 12:13 PM

and

Actually dixon is SMU bound.. but still..

caldwellzag
05-08-2018, 12:14 PM
If caroline and the martin boys return, thats a final four teams. You mentioned two of about 6 big time transfers they have eligible next year plus they are a finalist for Jordan Brown

Nevada will be really good next year. Just think if we were both in the MWC!

raise the zag
05-08-2018, 12:21 PM
I know we've talked about him previously, yet did Matt Mooney of So Dakota find a new home yet?

averaged 19, 4, & 3, has good handles, runs offense. not great shooter, but solid.

raise the zag
05-08-2018, 12:27 PM
6'4" Brock Stull is a grad transfer via UW-Milwaukee.

13 ppg, 5 rpg, 3 apg. Played PG.

38% from 3pt 200+ attempts.

We need one more PG.

Coach Crazy
05-08-2018, 12:35 PM

We need one more PG.

Matt Mooney is the guy I'd want, of what is left (unless another option becomes available). As much as I do not like Tramaine Isabell, I think he's #2.

raise the zag
05-08-2018, 12:41 PM
Drexel's 6'1" PG Tremaine Isabell just announced he is a grad transfer as well.

21 ppg, 8 rpg, 3.5 apg.

Another poster mentioned him a few days ago, yet curious about destination spots?

edit: sorry Coach for the duplicate mention.

strikenowhere
05-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Cremo might be an exception (as I don't know what role he'll play on Nova) but I have a hard time believing that grad transfers that were starting point guards at their previous schools would take a demotion to come off the bench and play for another team, even if it is the Zags.

Coach Crazy
05-08-2018, 12:50 PM
Drexel's 6'1" PG Tremaine Isabell just announced he is a grad transfer as well.

21 ppg, 8 rpg, 3.5 apg.

Another poster mentioned him a few days ago, yet curious about destination spots?

edit: sorry Coach for the duplicate mention.

Meh. Mentions are mentions, man. No worries.

maynard g krebs
05-08-2018, 12:55 PM
Not on ESPN.

Rivals, scout, and 247, though. 3 out of 4.. Offers from Ky and Az. But as Or fans have noted, he doesn't seem to love the game. Pass.

thespywhozaggedme
05-08-2018, 03:08 PM
maybe there's some legs to the Montana kid?

doctorzag
05-08-2018, 03:51 PM
Matt Mooney is the guy I'd want, of what is left (unless another option becomes available). As much as I do not like Tramaine Isabell, I think he's #2.

We did not make Mooney`s final list of three schools.

doctorzag
05-08-2018, 03:52 PM
We did not make Mooney`s final list of three schools.

Of course he could change his final list like Cremo did.

Coach Crazy
05-08-2018, 04:00 PM
Of course he could change his final list like Cremo did.

Maybe. This season of transfers has been a little crazy for us...so, who knows? Plus, we were deep in the hunt for BW. Who knows whether or not that had an effect? Or we may not have been an option at all. Perhaps most of these guards are being told that they would be a role player, and don't want to be just a role player? Really up in the air. And if there is a euro option we don't know about, these transfers may also be hearing about how GU sees them [American grad transfers], with regard to that plan.

Once things go 'dark' like this, we have few options. You either prognosticate with little knowledge, or stand pat and wait for news or rumors to surface.

Zagceo
05-08-2018, 05:52 PM

ďSiiiiiikkeĒ as in awesome or great.....sick?

MileHigh
05-08-2018, 06:17 PM
maybe there's some legs to the Montana kid?

No legs.

thespywhozaggedme
05-08-2018, 08:21 PM
No legs.

OK, when you say it I believe it, thanks. Without giving away too much can you at least say in the affirmative that they are still exploring some options? Thanks

jazzdelmar
05-09-2018, 04:39 AM
I believe when Mile says "no," it's "no."

thespywhozaggedme
05-09-2018, 05:43 AM
I believe when Mile says "no," it's "no."

Was this post for me, wasn't sure because there was no quote. If it was, I agree, that's why I said I believe what he posts, he's never been wrong to the best of my knowledge. I was asking him if he had heard about a different player possibly coming in, not the pg from Montana.

jazzdelmar
05-09-2018, 06:27 AM
Was this post for me, wasn't sure because there was no quote. If it was, I agree, that's why I said I believe what he posts, he's never been wrong to the best of my knowledge. I was asking him if he had heard about a different player possibly coming in, not the pg from Montana.

Got it. I defer to Mile on matters Colorado and environs.

GoZags
05-09-2018, 06:27 AM
OK, when you say it I believe it, thanks. Without giving away too much can you at least say in the affirmative that they are still exploring some options? Thanks

I am flat out stunned.

Did you ask if the Gonzaga Men's Basketball staff was "still exploring some options" vis a vis the open scholarship the team has for the '18/'19 season? Were you being serious? It seems to me that would be a question from somebody that just started following the Zags ... who didn't know (or understand) how it works at Gonzaga. Do you think they are saving the scholarship so they can give it to Jack Beach this fall? Or ... do you think perhaps there's a chance of a "late" addition nobody on the board is aware of ... kinda like Turiaf ... or Wesley ... or Mathews ... or Kasun (who made it to school but due to the NCAA didn't make it on the floor at GU).

thespywhozaggedme
05-09-2018, 06:30 AM
I am flat out stunned.

Did you ask if the Gonzaga Men's Basketball staff was "still exploring some options" vis a vis the open scholarship the team has for the '18/'19 season? Were you being serious? It seems to me that would be a question from somebody that just started following the Zags ... who didn't know (or understand) how it works at Gonzaga. Do you think they are saving the scholarship so they can give it to Jack Beach this fall?

I meant specifically regarding a transfer pg.

thespywhozaggedme
05-09-2018, 06:31 AM
Got it. I defer to Mile on matters Colorado and environs.

Anything related to Perks, he's your go to guy. When someone here floated the rumor about the Montana pg hanging out with Josh and his possible transfer to GU, Milehigh quashed it unequivocally, and I have zero reason to not believe him.

maynard g krebs
05-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Anything related to Perks, he's your go to guy. When someone here floated the rumor about the Montana pg hanging out with Josh and his possible transfer to GU, Milehigh quashed it unequivocally, and I have zero reason to not believe him.

Rorie originally committed to play for Mike Montgomery at Cal, where current Montana coach Travis DeCuire (sp?) was an assistant and Rorie's primary recruiter. When he decided to transfer due to Oregon's log jam at guard, Rorie wanted to play for DeCuire. Looks like a strong player/coach relationship, so he's loyal.

thespywhozaggedme
05-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Rorie originally committed to play for Mike Montgomery at Cal, where current Montana coach Travis DeCuire (sp?) was an assistant and Rorie's primary recruiter. When he decided to transfer due to Oregon's log jam at guard, Rorie wanted to play for DeCuire. Looks like a strong player/coach relationship, so he's loyal.

Sounds like a stand up kid, loyalty is at a premium these days.

doctorzag
05-14-2018, 05:15 PM
I know we've talked about him previously, yet did Matt Mooney of So Dakota find a new home yet?

averaged 19, 4, & 3, has good handles, runs offense. not great shooter, but solid.

Matt Mooney to Texas Tech today

thespywhozaggedme
05-14-2018, 05:38 PM
So, who is left?

doctorzag
05-14-2018, 06:14 PM
So, who is left?

Brock Stull and Tramaine Isabelle

raise the zag
05-14-2018, 07:05 PM
Brock Stull and Tramaine Isabelle

Not much left to go around...

Tory Miller, Cheddi Mosley, Jayln Patterson, Dion Wiley, Troy Holston, Xavian Stapleton, Eric Lockett, Malik Martin, Malik Hines.

zagsfanforlife
05-14-2018, 07:11 PM
Not much left to go around...

Tory Miller, Cheddi Mosley, Jayln Patterson, Dion Wiley, Troy Holston, Xavian Stapleton, Eric Lockett, Malik Martin, Malik Hines.

Think i have heard of 1 of those guys and i consider myself a pretty big cbb fanatic.

raise the zag
05-14-2018, 07:27 PM
Tremaine Isabell planning to visit Seton Hall, Xavier, Arizona St.

sittingon50
05-14-2018, 08:27 PM
JC ranks?

(or has Ernie Kent grabbed ALL of them)?

Worthington
05-14-2018, 09:27 PM
Just a guess, but I bet the staff is pursuing Ike Obiagu hard right now. He has potential to be the best rim protector in all of college basketball. It would be really interesting to see a Mark Few team with a player like that in the mix. If I had to guess, I'd say that's where the staff's main focus is.

thebigsmoove
05-15-2018, 04:49 AM
Just a guess, but I bet the staff is pursuing Ike Obiagu hard right now. He has potential to be the best rim protector in all of college basketball. It would be really interesting to see a Mark Few team with a player like that in the mix. If I had to guess, I'd say that's where the staff's main focus is.

My thoughts on Obiagu as well. Hes the exact type of long difference maker we lacked against *gasp* Florida State. I still wouldnt be surprised if there is a late add from Europe at Guard.

23zagmd
05-15-2018, 05:02 AM
He is from Seattle. I imagine Washington is all over this guy.

It is almost impossible for Washington to take transfers like this due to their academic requirements. And I know everyone will say he did well at Missouri....different animal!

Coach Crazy
05-15-2018, 06:08 AM
My thoughts on Obiagu as well. Hes the exact type of long difference maker we lacked against *gasp* Florida State. I still wouldnt be surprised if there is a late add from Europe at Guard.

Seconded.

OntZags
05-15-2018, 06:15 AM

Killian Hayes would be incredible but I'm not sure if he'd be academically eligible next season nor whether he is actually planning to pursue the NCAA route. (his father is American but he's in a good spot to develop among professionals so he may just stay in France)

I know the staff showed interest in Martynas Arlauskas but haven't heard anything recently. He's a 2/3 however and doesn't really fill the role the staff is seemingly looking at for next season. (though I do think he could still provide some value nonetheless next season) Zalgiris does have a talented young point guard in Rokas Jokubaitis but I have no idea whether he is looking at the NCAA. If he is though, Gonzaga and Lithuania have a healthy working relationship. :)

Obviously Tommy knows what's happening on the ground floor with European kids and it's reasonable to think they may snatch someone from over there. Ayayi was a later signing iirc.

On a semi related note, apparently Luka Samanic is leaving Barcelona and is possibly going the NCAA route. Duke is on him so the competition will be tough but I hope the staff is still looking. He'd be an amazing get for 2019.

Coach Crazy
05-15-2018, 07:00 AM
Killian Hayes would be incredible but I'm not sure if he'd be academically eligible next season nor whether he is actually planning to pursue the NCAA route. (his father is American but he's in a good spot to develop among professionals so he may just stay in France)

I know the staff showed interest in Martynas Arlauskas but haven't heard anything recently. He's a 2/3 however and doesn't really fill the role the staff is seemingly looking at for next season. (though I do think he could still provide some value nonetheless next season) Zalgiris does have a talented young point guard in Rokas Jokubaitis but I have no idea whether he is looking at the NCAA. If he is though, Gonzaga and Lithuania have a healthy working relationship. :)

Obviously Tommy knows what's happening on the ground floor with European kids and it's reasonable to think they may snatch someone from over there. Ayayi was a later signing iirc.

On a semi related note, apparently Luka Samanic is leaving Barcelona and is possibly going the NCAA route. Duke is on him so the competition will be tough but I hope the staff is still looking. He'd be an amazing get for 2019.

Killian Hayes would also be my pick...but outside of him, it seems like it would be possible to be a completely-under-the-radar player. As far as Samanic...well, I have already had my hopes up for that signing, in the past. Don't know if I want to put myself through that, again. But my preferred international forward recruit. Not that he would reach this level while at GU, but he's the closest thing to Dirk Nowitzki that we've seen since Dirk.

OntZags
05-15-2018, 07:37 AM
Killian Hayes would also be my pick...but outside of him, it seems like it would be possible to be a completely-under-the-radar player. As far as Samanic...well, I have already had my hopes up for that signing, in the past. Don't know if I want to put myself through that, again. But my preferred international forward recruit. Not that he would reach this level while at GU, but he's the closest thing to Dirk Nowitzki that we've seen since Dirk.

Killian is almost certainly wishful thinking though. :) I've yet to really see him linked as a possible NCAA guy and who knows whether he would even be eligible for school in 2018. I also suspect if the staff felt they had a real shot at getting him, they may not have gone as hard as they did on Brandon. Killian is simply a better prospect and a clear 5 star recruit.

Not getting my hopes up on Samanic but the fact that Duke is calling is encouraging that he may indeed be going the NCAA route. And if that is the case, Gonzaga has a fighting chance of outrecruiting anybody - including Duke - when it comes to European kids.

As for topic at hand, hearing that Matt Morgan from Cornell might be transferring. He was the leading scorer in the Ivy league.

willandi
05-15-2018, 07:50 AM
I don't know how the Zags will fare on Timme or Von Kommen, but either one of those would provide a 7'4" that would not have to sit. Both have a better offensive game already, and a pretty good defensive game.

I was wondering about that 7'+ kid from tri-cities(?). I watched some of the game when they played G Prep, and while he wasn't polished, nobody anywhere had offered at that point.

OntZags
05-15-2018, 08:35 AM
I don't know how the Zags will fare on Timme or Von Kommen, but either one of those would provide a 7'4" that would not have to sit. Both have a better offensive game already, and a pretty good defensive game.

I was wondering about that 7'+ kid from tri-cities(?). I watched some of the game when they played G Prep, and while he wasn't polished, nobody anywhere had offered at that point.

Timme isn't nearly that big. I think he is 6'9 iirc. But he looks very polished. He'll be able to produce immediately if GU lands him but the bidding is going to be fierce.

Not sure I agree on Van Komen. Long term he has upside but I doubt he's ready to make any impact in 2019. Strikes me more as a redshirt candidate.

willandi
05-15-2018, 10:49 AM
Timme isn't nearly that big. I think he is 6'9 iirc. But he looks very polished. He'll be able to produce immediately if GU lands him but the bidding is going to be fierce.

Not sure I agree on Van Komen. Long term he has upside but I doubt he's ready to make any impact in 2019. Strikes me more as a redshirt candidate.

You'tre right, 6'9" on Timme. VanKomen is 7'4"

Coach Crazy
05-15-2018, 10:52 AM
You'tre right, 6'9" on Timme. VanKomen is 7'4"

In 2019 we are likely to see Petrusev, Larsen, and Clarke. I could see MVK getting 10-12 minutes of run a night.

BavarianZag
05-15-2018, 11:58 AM
In 2019 we are likely to see Petrusev, Larsen, and Clarke. I could see MVK getting 10-12 minutes of run a night.

I wouldn't be surprised by a commitment from MVK in the coming week or so. That would certainly be a nice complimentary addition to the front line above.

seacatfan
05-15-2018, 12:43 PM
Strikes me more as a redshirt candidate.

I know redshirting has been invaluable during GU's history. These days I'm not a fan of it though. Any time anybody redshirts, they immediately become a candidate to become a grad transfer somewhere down the road.

thespywhozaggedme
05-15-2018, 04:41 PM

We quite possibly have to be the worst message board at staying on topic. The transfer thread somehow morphed into the 2019 thread

willandi
05-15-2018, 05:20 PM
We quite possibly have to be the worst message board at staying on topic. The transfer thread somehow morphed into the 2019 thread

Maybe he's a 2020 transfer?

Hooray4Daye&Gray
05-15-2018, 05:29 PM
Killian is almost certainly wishful thinking though. :) I've yet to really see him linked as a possible NCAA guy and who knows whether he would even be eligible for school in 2018. I also suspect if the staff felt they had a real shot at getting him, they may not have gone as hard as they did on Brandon. Killian is simply a better prospect and a clear 5 star recruit.

Not getting my hopes up on Samanic but the fact that Duke is calling is encouraging that he may indeed be going the NCAA route. And if that is the case, Gonzaga has a fighting chance of outrecruiting anybody - including Duke - when it comes to European kids.

As for topic at hand, hearing that Matt Morgan from Cornell might be transferring. He was the leading scorer in the Ivy league.

I appreciate the information, but two questions:

If Samanic is leaving Barcelona now, it sounds like heíd be a 2018 recruit. Twitter buzz says he could be a 2019 NBA draft pick. Why would he come to Gonzaga, a team that has Tillie, Rui and Clarke all at a similar position? I donít know why heíd want to go to Duke either to fight for minutes with all the best recruits in the nation, but thatís besides the point.

As far as Matt Morgan, he never redshirted, so if he transferred heíd have to sit out a year. That would be super weird for a guy that declared for the draft and hopes to stay in it after also declaring after last season.

OntZags
05-15-2018, 05:39 PM

If Samanic is leaving Barcelona now, it sounds like he’d be a 2018 recruit. Twitter buzz says he could be a 2019 NBA draft pick. Why would he come to Gonzaga, a team that has Tillie, Rui and Clarke all at a similar position? I don’t know why he’d want to go to Duke either to fight for minutes with all the best recruits in the nation, but that’s besides the point.

As far as Matt Morgan, he never redshirted, so if he transferred he’d have to sit out a year. That would be super weird for a guy that declared for the draft and hopes to stay in it after also declaring after last season.

From what I've read regarding Samanic, he would be a 2019 recruit for college. If he is academically eligible for 2018, he could come over this upcoming season and that would probably rule Gonzaga out. He is being mentioned as a 2019 NBA draft pick and while he could be eligible for that draft, there is no guarantee he'll enter it. So my interpretation of the rumour mill is he is considering coming to the NCAA for 2019 and would presumably find another European club to hone his skills at for a year as an amateur. And then likely declare for 2020 draft assuming his development follows the right trajectory.

As for Morgan, you don't need to redshirt to play immediately, just graduate. A lot of guys do finish college in 3 years so he could be immediately eligible but I have no idea whether he qualifies or not.

thespywhozaggedme
05-15-2018, 05:46 PM

If Samanic is leaving Barcelona now, it sounds like he’d be a 2018 recruit. Twitter buzz says he could be a 2019 NBA draft pick. Why would he come to Gonzaga, a team that has Tillie, Rui and Clarke all at a similar position? I don’t know why he’d want to go to Duke either to fight for minutes with all the best recruits in the nation, but that’s besides the point.

As far as Matt Morgan, he never redshirted, so if he transferred he’d have to sit out a year. That would be super weird for a guy that declared for the draft and hopes to stay in it after also declaring after last season.

This is the transfer thread. The 2019 recruit thread is elsewhere. Sheesh!

Coach Crazy
05-15-2018, 05:48 PM
From what I've read regarding Samanic, he would be a 2019 recruit for college. If he is academically eligible for 2018, he could come over this upcoming season and that would probably rule Gonzaga out. He is being mentioned as a 2019 NBA draft pick and while he could be eligible for that draft, there is no guarantee he'll enter it. So my interpretation of the rumour mill is he is considering coming to the NCAA for 2019 and would presumably find another European club to hone his skills at for a year as an amateur. And then likely declare for 2020 draft assuming his development follows the right trajectory.

As for Morgan, you don't need to redshirt to play immediately, just graduate. A lot of guys do finish college in 3 years so he could be immediately eligible but I have no idea whether he qualifies or not.

He's also got to add more physicality to his game, and he knows that. He won't necessarily get that in Europe.

Coach Crazy
05-15-2018, 05:48 PM

Dan Dickau is also a great commentator. I wonder what Rui's favorite American food is? Tacos, maybe?

maynard g krebs
05-15-2018, 06:01 PM

Seattle Times ran a story on Sorn just before the state tourney. Said he had narrowed his college choices to UW and St Mary's. I would assume that means both had offered.

I know, wrong thread, but was asked here and somewhat relevant considering the above.

doctorzag
05-15-2018, 06:17 PM

We need one more PG.

Brock Stull to Minnesota today. Looks like a big fat goose egg for the Zags in the transfer market.

SunDevilGolfZag
05-15-2018, 06:28 PM
Brock Stull to Minnesota today. Looks like a big fat goose egg for the Zags in the transfer market.

Perhaps the point guard we need is already here, is learning the system, and his development will come in due time to really help us next year.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
05-15-2018, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

If he doesn't stay in the draft and is able to graduate in time, his stats seem to suggest he'd be the ideal guard to add to fill out the roster.

Maybe there's still hope! Haha.

SLOZag
05-15-2018, 07:21 PM

Actually, the 2019 recruit thread was hijacked a long time ago (morphing into the "We can't recruit to Spokane thread" because "It's Summer, we're bored, and hence we can post whatever and wherever we [darn well] want"). Free speech, donchaknow?

scrooner
05-15-2018, 07:37 PM
What happened to the geography thread? I came here to have my mind numbed.

Markburn1
05-15-2018, 08:23 PM
What happened to the geography thread? I came here to have my mind numbed.

Maybe you are there. And you already have a numbed skull. Everybody has to be somewhere.

soccerdud
05-15-2018, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised by a commitment from MVK in the coming week or so. That would certainly be a nice complimentary addition to the front line above.

i can't believe this has been left without comment. bavarianzag knows the family. this is huge (literally, 7'4").

Hooray4Daye&Gray
05-15-2018, 09:42 PM
i can't believe this has been left without comment. bavarianzag knows the family. this is huge (literally, 7'4").

You’re absolutely right. I overlooked his history of posts regarding Matthew when scanning through this thread, and it seems like everyone else did as well.

I would love to see a fantastic rim protector join the 2019 class, with the tools to become a great player period within our developmental program.

We’ve all been drowning in the restlessness of the board the past month plus that we may have missed the only true scoop attributed to the board so far this offseason.

I’d take a rotational guard for 2018-19 paired with Matthew as an incoming freshman in the 2019 class all day over using that scholarship for Ike to sit and then play 3.

thebigsmoove
05-16-2018, 05:03 AM
Excuse my ignorance of his story, but is Matt LDS? Is he planning on a mission?

willandi
05-16-2018, 05:21 AM

I remember reading no mission. I could be wrong.
https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/2019-Recruit-Matthew-Van-Komen-Earned-An-Offer-From-Gonzaga-This-Summer-107618590
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?60791-Matt-VanKomen-offered-(-Updated-)&highlight=VanKomen

Coach Crazy
05-16-2018, 05:59 AM

I remember it being no mission. Not sure whether or not he is baptized or active? His mom played at BYU, so there is a chance he was baptized, but that's about as much as I can comment on.

willandi
05-16-2018, 06:11 AM
I remember it being no mission. Not sure whether or not he is baptized or active? His mom played at BYU, so there is a chance he was baptized, but that's about as much as I can comment on.

The 247 link I shared is where he said no mission.

MDABE80
05-16-2018, 10:31 AM
Spent too much time on BWilliams. Things in the background are moving ahead. Quietly and such.

GoZags
05-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Spent too much time on BWilliams. Things in the background are moving ahead. Quietly and such.

Disagree with your first sentence. (i.e. there WAS a shot and they didn't lay off on anything else they were doing)

Strongly agree with your second and third sentences. (i.e. that's what they do ... and do well).

JAGzag
05-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Disagree with your first sentence. (i.e. there WAS a shot and they didn't lay off on anything else they were doing)

Strongly agree with your second and third sentences. (i.e. that's what they do ... and do well).

Sorry ABE, I’m putting my trust in GoZags on this!

MDABE80
05-16-2018, 02:11 PM

I misspoke on BWilliams. Not too much time as in "wasted" time.

GoZags
05-16-2018, 04:01 PM
I misspoke on BWilliams. Not too much time as in "wasted" time.

But ABE, the key is we BOTH agree on the 2nd part of your post. Things ARE still quietly happening behind the scenes. "Good" things.

MDABE80
05-16-2018, 05:45 PM
I know a little;)

DixieZag
05-16-2018, 07:25 PM

Actually, we're one of the best. It is not just normal for 10 page threads to drift into related issues, it is very welcome bc that's often where someone reads it the first time.

Beyond that, the off-season is the time to just "talk" about the future.

Evidently you haven't seen many other boards, particularly ones at big football schools, where topics generally stray to why either the coaches or the other fans are morons that have no business around a team.

Coach Crazy
05-16-2018, 08:09 PM
Actually, we're one of the best. It is not just normal for 10 page threads to drift into related issues, it is very welcome bc that's often where someone reads it the first time.

Beyond that, the off-season is the time to just "talk" about the future.

Evidently you haven't seen many other boards, particularly ones at big football schools, where topics generally stray to why either the coaches or the other fans are morons that have no business around a team.

And yet no one will answer my question as to what they think Rui's favorite American food is?! This thread is just garbage!

Hooray4Daye&Gray
05-16-2018, 08:24 PM
But ABE, the key is we BOTH agree on the 2nd part of your post. Things ARE still quietly happening behind the scenes. "Good" things.

Hooray 4 hints!

So you and Abe are posting on the transfer thread.

Certainly you wouldn't dare posting these hints on the incorrect thread.

Quick question - would you still be posting these hints here if it was a "grad transfer" thread instead of the all encompassing "transfer thread, take three"?

soccerdud
05-16-2018, 09:03 PM
Hooray 4 hints!

So you and Abe are posting on the transfer thread.

Certainly you wouldn't dare posting these hints on the incorrect thread.

Quick question - would you still be posting these hints here if it was a "grad transfer" thread instead of the all encompassing "transfer thread, take three"?

this is a guess, educated by nothing but previous experience... but i don't think they put nearly that much thought into those posts.

Zagdawg
05-17-2018, 07:48 AM
Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanESPN
3m3 minutes ago
More Jeff Goodman Retweeted ikechukwu obiagu ����
Seton Hall picks up Florida State transfer Ike Obiagu.

thespywhozaggedme
05-17-2018, 07:57 AM
Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanESPN
3m3 minutes ago
More Jeff Goodman Retweeted ikechukwu obiagu ����
Seton Hall picks up Florida State transfer Ike Obiagu.

Good for the Hall!

cggonzaga
05-17-2018, 09:19 AM
Would’ve been redundant if we truly get MVK.

thespywhozaggedme
05-17-2018, 10:15 AM
In one of the first two transfer threads someone posted a link of a website that continuously updates all of the transfers, who has signed and who is still available. But I can't find it. Does anyone know what the website is?

doctorzag
05-17-2018, 10:27 AM
In one of the first two transfer threads someone posted a link of a website that continuously updates all of the transfers, who has signed and who is still available. But I can't find it. Does anyone know what the website is?

Verbal commits

OntZags
05-17-2018, 02:30 PM

I love barttorvik for everything. Tons of great stuff there.

http://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?link=y&year=trans&minmin=0&top=0&start=-11101&end=trans0501

Shows where transfers are headed.

http://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?link=y&cvalue=grads&year=2018&minmin=0&top=351&start=20171101&end=20180501

Shows who is left.

Murphy outgo lifer
05-17-2018, 10:04 PM

Just wondering if you have seen the comments below from Williams step-father,

"While Gonzaga, Oregon and Arizona were Williams’ three finalists, Wright said it was really ASU that Arizona beat out — maybe because of that feeling in Williams’ heart."

'If it wasn’t for Arizona, that’s probably where he would have gone,' "Wright said of ASU." 'It was a perfect fit for him over there. (Coach Bobby Hurley) let’s those guards play. But after that trip, Brandon was like ‘Man, I just can’t do it.

'It’s just too close.’

It looks like at best we were his third option and even there you would have a hard time convincing me that if U of A and ASU suddenly decided to disband their basketball programs that he would not have chosen Oregon. However, that is irrelevant as his dream school was U of A and he was never going to go anywhere else.

I am also wondering, as I have no idea, if the staff lost out on Joe Cremo because of Williams. I have not seen any articles on the matter but it was stated on the boards earlier that Few and staff missed a chance at an in-home visit with Cremo because they were visiting with Williams and that they also cancelled or moved the Cremo visit to accommodate Williams. I am wondering if the Williams recruitment cost us Cremo but maybe as others have stated maybe we weren't that interested in him.

I really hope your second statement is true as Few has been trying to find a PG for 2 season now without any success and it is looking like we are going to start 2018 with only a recovering Perkins and no clear back-up. 2019 is not looking any better as our system works best with a new PG having a year of tutelage under an upperclassmen before taking the reins.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/arizona-wildcats-basketball-team-expected-to-be-more-guard-oriented/article_3c697541-0b9b-5f4c-bb23-a4950bf2832f.html

ZagNation
05-18-2018, 12:45 AM
Why did ABC cancel Designated Survivor? It was a good show. :enraged:

jazzdelmar
05-18-2018, 03:53 AM

"While Gonzaga, Oregon and Arizona were Williams’ three finalists, Wright said it was really ASU that Arizona beat out — maybe because of that feeling in Williams’ heart."

'If it wasn’t for Arizona, that’s probably where he would have gone,' "Wright said of ASU." 'It was a perfect fit for him over there. (Coach Bobby Hurley) let’s those guards play. But after that trip, Brandon was like ‘Man, I just can’t do it.

'It’s just too close.’

It looks like at best we were his third option and even there you would have a hard time convincing me that if U of A and ASU suddenly decided to disband their basketball programs that he would not have chosen Oregon. However, that is irrelevant as his dream school was U of A and he was never going to go anywhere else.

I am also wondering, as I have no idea, if the staff lost out on Joe Cremo because of Williams. I have not seen any articles on the matter but it was stated on the boards earlier that Few and staff missed a chance at an in-home visit with Cremo because they were visiting with Williams and that they also cancelled or moved the Cremo visit to accommodate Williams. I am wondering if the Williams recruitment cost us Cremo but maybe as others have stated maybe we weren't that interested in him.

I really hope your second statement is true as Few has been trying to find a PG for 2 season now without any success and it is looking like we are going to start 2018 with only a recovering Perkins and no clear back-up. 2019 is not looking any better as our system works best with a new PG having a year of tutelage under an upperclassmen before taking the reins.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/arizona-wildcats-basketball-team-expected-to-be-more-guard-oriented/article_3c697541-0b9b-5f4c-bb23-a4950bf2832f.html

Sad, if true. To quote George Costanza, "we got nothin'."

raise the zag
05-18-2018, 04:29 AM

I don't believe we lost out on Cremo BECAUSE of Williams. Besides, BWill was worth fighting for -- shoot for the 'stars' as they say. We had a horse in the race, had to go for it...

However, I do know we moved Cremo's one open wkend around for Brandon Williams since he was originally scheduled for June 1st. Cremo wanted to visit Gonzaga. He continually expressed his interest in GU. After he had visited Creighton the first wkend, Texas the second wkend, he wanted to visit Gonzaga the third weekend. We did not say "no" to Joe, but its the same weekend we moved things around to accommodate Brandon Williams. We were honest and upfront to Joe about this occurrence, and Joe was open to re-scheduling.

That said, it cost us some momentum with Cremo. He also received interest from Villanova and Kansas that following week. Who could have guessed that would happen? Even after all that, he still listed us as a finalist in his most up-to-date interview (as the only school he hadn't visited up to that point). Plus, the wkend after he visited Kansas, it was Gonzaga's Graduation Wkend, which would have been difficult, thus moving him back another wkend.

Gonzaga wanted him to consider, and Joe pulled the trigger on Villanova's offer. Not in spite of us, but probably a bit tired after 5 visits in a row, and not being able to fit us in between said visits.

One of those things, where "timing is everything". It just wasn't meant to be. We didn't lose out on Cremo because of Williams, but it certainly cost us a visit with him.

GoZags
05-18-2018, 05:07 AM

'It’s just too close.’

So ... is what you're saying is that if it were you in charge you wouldn't have bothered spending any time (or effort) recruiting Williams? That because after the fact you KNOW Gonzaga wasn't in his top 2 that it wasn't worth their time?

And no ... I hadn't read the comments from the kid's stepfather. I didn't feel the need to read anything after the decision was announced.

jazzdelmar
05-18-2018, 05:15 AM
I don't believe we lost out on Cremo BECAUSE of Williams. Besides, BWill was worth fighting for -- shoot for the 'stars' as they say. We had a horse in the race, had to go for it...

However, I do know we moved Cremo's one open wkend around for Brandon Williams since he was originally scheduled for June 1st. Cremo wanted to visit Gonzaga. He continually expressed his interest in GU. After he had visited Creighton the first wkend, Texas the second wkend, he wanted to visit Gonzaga the third weekend. We did not say "no" to Joe, but its the same weekend we moved things around to accommodate Brandon Williams. We were honest and upfront to Joe about this occurrence, and Joe was open to re-scheduling.

That said, it cost us some momentum with Cremo. He also received interest from Villanova and Kansas that following week. Who could have guessed that would happen? Even after all that, he still listed us as a finalist in his most up-to-date interview (as the only school he hadn't visited up to that point). Plus, the wkend after he visited Kansas, it was Gonzaga's Graduation Wkend, which would have been difficult, thus moving him back another wkend.

Gonzaga wanted him to consider, and Joe pulled the trigger on Villanova's offer. Not in spite of us, but probably a bit tired after 5 visits in a row, and not being able to fit us in between said visits.

One of those things, where "timing is everything". It just wasn't meant to be. We didn't lose out on Cremo because of Williams, but it certainly cost us a visit with him.

Raise, you sure cover all your bases in this statement. Did the lust for BW impair the approach to Cremo or not? Bottom line, as soon as Jay opened his kimono, Cremo was going to Nova.....who wouldn't. Ironically, assuming what they were saying about their CBB goals was true, Joe's best spot is indeed Nova; BW's would have been GU.

Murphy outgo lifer
05-18-2018, 07:28 AM
So ... is what you're saying is that if it were you in charge you wouldn't have bothered spending any time (or effort) recruiting Williams? That because after the fact you KNOW Gonzaga wasn't in his top 2 that it wasn't worth their time?

And no ... I hadn't read the comments from the kid's stepfather. I didn't feel the need to read anything after the decision was announced.

I definitely would have gone after him after he re-opened his recruitment. I just would not have prioritized him above all other recruits and inform other recruits that Brandon Williams is our first priority and top target. I definitely would not have told Joe Cremo that and I definitely would not have moved Cremo's visit for Brandon Williams.

cggonzaga
05-18-2018, 09:25 AM
I definitely would have gone after him after he re-opened his recruitment. I just would not have prioritized him above all other recruits and inform other recruits that Brandon Williams is our first priority and top target. I definitely would not have told Joe Cremo that and I definitely would not have moved Cremo's visit for Brandon Williams.

Then I’m afraid you know nothing about recruiting. Nor do any of us really.

Coach Crazy
05-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Then Iím afraid you know nothing about recruiting. Nor do any of us really.

It was all or nothing. There were things that weren't even known by some of the coaches recruiting him. Can't use hindsight to dictate your feelings on something, unless you can gather enough of a sample size to establish a trend and then feel confident enough in applying that moving forward. Going after Brandon Williams was an important moment for this program. GU will have a possible 2-and-done in Zach Norvell, and depending on how Joel Ayayi pans out, you could have a second. Dominic Harris is right around the corner, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him bring another player or two with him. All of these things add up. At the rate he is developing (if continued) he will be a Burger Boy and the highest rated recruit in the history of the program. Breaking through stone is not an invent. It's a process. The raging river that is GU basketball will only be turned away for so long.

caldwellzag
05-18-2018, 09:44 AM
I don't know much about this kids at all, but a new transfer and as a 6'8 wing that is what caught my eye.

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/997530893282631680

https://247sports.com/player/boubacar-diakite-86971

Not even saying we will be looking, but just saw it.

Murphy outgo lifer
05-18-2018, 08:43 PM
Then I’m afraid you know nothing about recruiting. Nor do any of us really.

These kind of posts offer little value to me. Apparently, you know nothing about recruiting but somehow you know as a certainty that I know nothing. If you have a theory share it. If you disagree with my position feel free to enlighten me on where I missed. Offer something more than we know nothing.