• GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Interesting tweet/info

Zags Top 10 over the last decade.

sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.
  • 23dpg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
    I’m not exactly sure what metric that is using but Louisville At #3 seems like an outlier.
    Zags #10 over the last ten years? I think most people would buy that.
    Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• Coach Crazy
      • Apr 2011

#8 on the Top 25 Individual Teams of all-time, too. Craziness.

Comment

• scrooner
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Coach Crazy View Post
        #8 on the Top 25 Individual Teams of all-time, too. Craziness.
        I think that's Top 25 teams over the past 10 years.

Comment

• Coach Crazy
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
          I think that's Top 25 teams over the past 10 years.
          I rest me case...

Kidding. Definitely last 10 years. Still incredible.

Comment

• BayAreaZagFan
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Jan 2017

Fewest losses of all of the schools on that list. And for some reason, that number feels a little high - I guess I'm choosing not to remember any seasons that caused us to average 7 losses per year over the last 10 years.
            My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Comment

• kdaleb
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BayAreaZagFan View Post
              Fewest losses of all of the schools on that list. And for some reason, that number feels a little high - I guess I'm choosing not to remember any seasons that caused us to average 7 losses per year over the last 10 years.
              His data covers an 11 year period - giving us an average of 6 losses per year.

Season Record
              2007–08 25-8
              2008–09 28–6
              2009–10 27–7
              2010–11 25–10
              2011–12 26–7
              2012–13 32–3
              2013–14 29–7
              2014–15 35–3
              2015–16 28–8
              2016–17 37–2
              2017–18 32–5

Comment

• MDABE80
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

That 8 loss season 3 yrs ago was a nail biter. Since this is our school, for me, it's hard to grasp they're talking about this smaller school.
                Looking at the list, it seems nearly impossible to do what the program has done. In the last 90's and early 2000's many expected us to be a flash in the pan. UW comments were the worst! "Lucky" was the term. "Nonsustainable" since nobody wants to go there. Can't recruit. I don't know of anyone in field who had confidence we would continue despite a lot of things weighing against continued success.

And yet, look when this program is now....not to mention other things in the University that have come along. It's an historical proposition. Timing was right, coaching was right, facilities expanded. Some sort of intervention occurred. And the players continued to sign up. I don't think there will be a "next Gonzaga" in my lifetime. Which is good--- as it seems to be a one off miracle. I guess many would need to have watch Zag basketball for 30-40 or more years to know what a miracle this is.

Comment

• GoZags
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                  I guess many would need to have watch Zag basketball for 30-40 or more years to know what a miracle this is.
                  Big time .... and the fact is ... the program has done it the right way. On the floor. In the classroom. In the community. The right way.
                  sigpic
                  “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                  ——-
                  List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                  Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Zagger
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2008

Big time .... and the fact is ... the program has done it the right way. On the floor. In the classroom. In the community. The right way.
                    Yeah, imagine you’re 18-20. All of your life GU’s been successful. That’s gotta be a notable recruitment factor.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagger View Post
                      Yeah, imagine you’re 18-20. All of your life GU’s been successful. That’s gotta be a notable recruitment factor.
                      Conversely, my sons have never seen a championship worthy Dallas Cowboys team...and the oldest will be 29 in ten days. Yet Jerry Jones has amassed a multi-billion dollar fortune on the goodwill of the last Super Bowl nearly 25 years ago.

Comment

• willandi
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                        Conversely, my sons have never seen a championship worthy Dallas Cowboys team...and the oldest will be 29 in ten days. Yet Jerry Jones has amassed a multi-billion dollar fortune on the goodwill of the last Super Bowl nearly 25 years ago.
                        And I remember when Coach Landry always wore a collar and tie on the sidelines. Now that isn't allowed.
                        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• DZ
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                          And I remember when Coach Landry always wore a collar and tie on the sidelines. Now that isn't allowed.
                          The NFL doesn't brand suits and ties, but they do sure sell the apparel that the coaches wear.

To be fair, Tex, though it's been 24 years (or whatever), that was sure one heck of a football team. Maybe the best NFL team put together, right there with the 76 Steelers.

Jerry Jones is one sharp business person, and I am not even a Cowboys fan - quite the opposite, actually.
                          Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                          Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                          X