PDA

View Full Version : Not all teams happy with Zags remaining in WCC

strikenowhere
04-12-2018, 10:59 AM
Tweet from Jarom Jordan of BYU Sports Nation:

More
Rose on whether the WCC changes appeased Gonzaga...

"No question."

But also added "For me personally & our situation here at BYU we want to keep (Gonzaga) in the league. That wasnít the case with everybody. It will be interesting to see how the next meeting turns out.Ē

https://twitter.com/jaromjordan/status/984486285870972929

I wonder who the whiners are?

gonzagafan62
04-12-2018, 11:01 AM
Tweet from Jarom Jordan of BYU Sports Nation:

https://twitter.com/jaromjordan/status/984486285870972929

I wonder who the whiners are?

Saint Mary’s. They want an easier schedule than they already have. It’s too tough for Them

CDC84
04-12-2018, 11:30 AM
Bottom feeders.

ZagMan in Philly
04-12-2018, 11:35 AM
Bottom feeders.

why bite the hand that feeds you??

Coach Crazy
04-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Bottom feeders.

In other words: the whole conference, outside of BYU...

CDC84
04-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Middle feeders?

ZagsObserver
04-12-2018, 12:00 PM
They obviously voted to change the rules, so just over half voted in the affirmative. BYU, gu, and SMC are three. They got at least three more votes assuming a simple majority (don’t know the bylaws)

ZagsObserver
04-12-2018, 12:02 PM
Saint Mary’s. They want an easier schedule than they already have. It’s too tough for Them

Randy was on record wanting GU to remain.

Bogozags
04-12-2018, 12:23 PM

No doubt, GU has earned approximately $22.5M for the conference over the past four seasons alone...I'm sure he also wanted the competition...it is a nice rivalry.

After reading about UNM having financial concerns, I'm kinda ok with us staying in the WCC for a little while longer...

jbslicer
04-12-2018, 12:54 PM
Without the Zags, the WCC is just a small step up from the Big Sky.

bdmiller7
04-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Without the Zags, the WCC is just a small step up from the Big Sky.

Up or down?

sittingon50
04-12-2018, 01:27 PM

Yep.

kitzbuel
04-12-2018, 01:50 PM
The conference really is schizophrenic from a basketball perspective right now. There are a couple of schools like GU and BYU whose interests lie in being nationally competitive; there are some schools that seem to want regional competitiveness with legitimate chances at making national noise in the tournament; and then there seem to be a set of schools that want to have a 'church league' as Jazz refers to it and be able to enjoy competing with local, like-minded schools for fun and bragging rights, and an occasionally shot at the NCAAs.

I suspect the schools in the latter group don't like being constantly berated for dragging down the prospects of GU and BYU when national basketball prominence is not one of their particularly important objectives. The berating is probably even harder to take when the schools doing the berating are at the geographic fringes of the conference and don't necessarily have the same overall culture.

gozagswoohoo
04-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Awww, juss da poor witto babees don't want da zags to be mean to dim anymore. Juss a poor witto babees. Yes dem is. Yes dem is.

jbslicer
04-12-2018, 02:33 PM
Up or down?
Half step up.

jyboc
04-12-2018, 04:29 PM
Pepperdine won’t want us, you do know who their coach is, right?

gonzagafan62
04-12-2018, 04:31 PM
Pepperdine won’t want us, you do know who their coach is, right?

Never heard of her

krozman
04-12-2018, 04:39 PM
It's like having a big brother who's a famous actor. You love your brother. It's not at all a bad thing that he's successful. But at some point you really don't want strangers making every conversation about your brother and it's not fair to compare the two of you. Can't I just be little ole me without a reference point to someone else? Comon man!

Gonzdb8
04-12-2018, 05:02 PM
I'm sure he also wanted the competition

Yes, because RB is known for seeking out tough competitive matchups wherever/whenever he can get them.

DixieZag
04-12-2018, 06:05 PM
No doubt, GU has earned approximately $22.5M for the conference over the past four seasons alone...I'm sure he also wanted the competition...it is a nice rivalry.

After reading about UNM having financial concerns, I'm kinda ok with us staying in the WCC for a little while longer...

That was one under-appreciated aspect of the risk to the move to the MWC (I favored it originally). It has been a long long long time since the Zags were in a league with state schools. We've never been subject to the whims of what one state legislature decides one term. Really, any of those schools are just one wild hair of a legislative session away from money problems.

I do admit that men's basketball and football tend to "feed" money into the system and thereby are less likely to come under political ire, but it's a wildcard that we never had to worry about. Nor do we have to worrry about it for one more year, at least.

MickMick
It isn't past the realm of possibility that some institutions believe that the conference conceded too much to GU. Or that they are invoking leverage in the same manner that GU applied leverage to get the changes. Perhaps they want GU to stay, but under their terms. In other words; "We would love to keep you, but you are asking too much." The problem for them is that GU has a great deal more leverage.

Bogozags
Yes, because RB is known for seeking out tough competitive matchups wherever/whenever he can get them.

His selling card to recruits is that they play GU three times each season before going to the NIT...

Nevada Don
04-12-2018, 06:34 PM

I just wrote you a long reply with some of my best material but I harken back to those who have said that I can be too thin skinned so I erased that reply. I will say that your post to me is just a cheap shot at what is for you at least, an easy target. You did another one yesterday too.

Please get some new material as the whole world knows that RB and the Gaels (the maries) suck and they can't schedule, they won't leave California, they are afraid to play GU so the Gaels wanted GU out of the WCC. I'm done.

ps who scheduled Incarnate Word?
pss did the Gaels seem scared one night early this season at the MAC?
psss give us just a small portion of the respect SMC has for GU. Yes, you've earned more respect.
pssss Drive Home Safely...Say NO to Drugs...Goodnight Everybody.

gonzagafan62
04-12-2018, 06:54 PM
I just wrote you a long reply with some of my best material but I harken back to those who have said that I can be too thin skinned so I erased that reply. I will say that your post to me is just a cheap shot at what is for you at least, an easy target. You did another one yesterday too.

Please get some new material as the whole world knows that RB and the Gaels (the maries) suck and they can't schedule, they won't leave California, they are afraid to play GU so the Gaels wanted GU out of the WCC. I'm done.

psss give us just a small portion of the respect SMC has for GU. Yes, you've earned more respect.

It was a joke. Wasn’t meant to offend you or anyone else out there. Got a decent game with LSU. Let’s hope they build on that a bit

EDIT: I do have lots of respect for the talent SMC and the program they have built through what seems like Australian pipelines.

DOUBLE EDIT: And yes we know you want GU to stay. I think SMC would be in a ton of trouble if we left, as would BYU

Nevada Don
04-12-2018, 07:31 PM
It was a joke. Wasn’t meant to offend you or anyone else out there. Got a decent game with LSU. Let’s hope they build on that a bit

EDIT: I do have lots of respect for the talent SMC and the program they have built through what seems like Australian pipelines.

DOUBLE EDIT: And yes we know you want GU to stay. I think SMC would be in a ton of trouble if we left, as would BYU

OK, NEVER MIND. I take it back. Kumbaya. I'll rent your moving van !! Forgive me !! I Love the Show Me State !!
Seriously, I owe you a cocktail...but you'll have to come to Moraga because I don't leave California either !!!

sittingon50
04-12-2018, 09:15 PM
Seriously, I owe you a cocktail...but you'll have to come to Moraga because I don't leave California either !!!

What kind of a deal could this non-drinker get??

;)

willandi
04-12-2018, 09:24 PM

;)

If you tie flies, maybe a #### tail or a peacock feather.

sonuvazag
04-12-2018, 09:51 PM
I was reading the Santa Clara board on this topic because it is my alma mater and the sentiment there is mixed. Everyone seemed to agree that Gonzaga was within bounds to want more of the conference revenue or a more competitive league. On the other hand, it's a bit tiresome to the "bottom feeders" having no shot at the NCAA Tournament magic. Loyola of Chicago probably wouldn't have happened without Wichita State leaving the MVC. No question, the WCC would go down a notch or two without Gonzaga, but everyone's odds of reaching the NCAA Tournament would go up.

So believe it or not, I don't think the fan bases of these schools are really all that interested in "bottom feeding" on the tournament revenue that Gonzaga delivers. And I can only speak for Santa Clara, but there is clearly a desire to see the university increase its investment so that the basketball team improves its status.

Ultimately, what everyone WANTS is for the conference to become something more than it is. But we're all struggling with the realism of that. It's not a light switch.

gonzagafan62
04-12-2018, 10:54 PM
OK, NEVER MIND. I take it back. Kumbaya. I'll rent your moving van !! Forgive me !! I Love the Show Me State !!

No worries ND. I donít usually leave show me stars either... so we may just have to have E-cocktails together lmao

Nevada Don
04-13-2018, 11:20 AM

;)

Anywhere in Rheem or Moraga for your dining enjoyment.

CDC84
04-13-2018, 11:30 AM
Poor non-league scheduling or not, St. Mary's is in the top 5 for winning percentage at the D-1 level the past 5 seasons. Along with Gonzaga, Duke and a few other prestigious schools. That has to count for something. They continue to win a huge amount of games each year, regardless of how many times people say "This is the year when they are going to have a down season." They just keep winning. If that were so easy to do, other non-BCS teams would be doing it. Not every non-BCS team schedules multiple games vs. BCS schools, and yet they still end up with a 14-14 season every three years. St. Mary's keeps winning 26+ games.

Nevada Don
04-13-2018, 11:57 AM
Poor non-league scheduling or not, St. Mary's is in the top 5 for winning percentage at the D-1 level the past 5 seasons. Along with Gonzaga, Duke and a few other prestigious schools. That has to count for something. They continue to win a huge amount of games each year, regardless of how many times people say "This is the year when they are going to have a down season." They just keep winning. If that were so easy to do, other non-BCS teams would be doing it. Not every non-BCS team schedules multiple games vs. BCS schools, and yet they still end up with a 14-14 season every three years. St. Mary's keeps winning 26+ games.

Is this available for purchase in a frame ?
Thank You.

sittingon50
04-13-2018, 12:00 PM

Actually, I have a buddy in Richmond that's a chef. Maybe we could get him involved.

Coach Crazy
04-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Is this available for purchase in a frame ?
Thank You.

You probably have to outside of California to get it...

zagdontzig
04-13-2018, 01:55 PM
It was a joke. Wasnít meant to offend you or anyone else out there. Got a decent game with LSU. Letís hope they build on that a bit

You're not wrong though, even if what you said was an anecdotal jab. LSU is a big school in a far, far away conference, but it still sucks. I'd say scheduling a game against Cal is a less disappointing OOC game than LSU... SMC is still not scheduling anything noteworthy.

Nevada Don
04-13-2018, 02:17 PM
Actually, I have a buddy in Richmond that's a chef. Maybe we could get him involved.

I lived in Richmond for 14 years. Only a 30-40 minute drive on The Dam Road to beautiful Moraga.

sittingon50
04-13-2018, 02:20 PM
LSU is a big school in a far, far away conference, but it still sucks. I'd say scheduling a game against Cal is a less disappointing OOC game than LSU...

Might want to research that.

Cal is currently a dumpster fire. LSU is not.

ZagsGoZags
04-13-2018, 03:00 PM
I lived in Richmond for 14 years. Only a 30-40 minute drive on The Dam Road.

I lived in Richmond for 18 years. Used to ride my bike with another boy to Martinez and Concord and back on day trips. Took the San Pablo Dam Road to Sherwood Forest, where we turned to Martinez. It was surrounded by countryside in those days. At ten yrs old it was fun to exclaim "We have the whole Damn Road to ourselves."

gonzagafan62
04-13-2018, 03:44 PM
Might want to research that.

Cal is currently a dumpster fire. LSU is not.

Yup LSU is possibly top 25. Cal was one of the worst teams in pac12.... lol

zagdontzig
04-13-2018, 09:08 PM
Yup LSU is possibly top 25. Cal was one of the worst teams in pac12.... lol

I may need to catch up, but if the coaching staff hasn’t changed, I have no faith. Who can’t win with Ben Simmons?

asoc
04-13-2018, 09:44 PM
Awww, juss da poor witto babees don't want da zags to be mean to dim anymore. Juss a poor witto babees. Yes dem is. Yes dem is.

Your post reminded me of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAvVe92mi5k

bballbeachbum
04-14-2018, 08:51 AM

this sign always made me chuckle rolling into town to root for the Zags ;)

https://www.aaroads.com/california/images024/ca-024_wb_exit_013_03.jpg

bigblahla
04-14-2018, 08:55 AM
Poor non-league scheduling or not,

And that is why....give them Gonzaga's OOC schedule over he last 5 years and IMO the numbers would definitely change....

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

bdmiller7
04-14-2018, 10:09 AM
I may need to catch up, but if the coaching staff hasn’t changed, I have no faith. Who can’t win with Ben Simmons?

Will Wade just finished 1st season at LSU. 6 ESPN 100 recruits in 1st 2 classes. Top 5 class by all recruiting sites this year. LSU is on the rise.

Nevada Don
04-14-2018, 11:40 AM
Funny, first went to Moraga/Rheem in 1966 and never once have I looked at that sign or similar signs and got the connotation that you just pointed out. Different perspectives for sure :doh:

Alert: Just read that Southwest is starting new flights from San Jose to Spokane.

DixieZag
04-14-2018, 03:29 PM
Will Wade just finished 1st season at LSU. 6 ESPN 100 recruits in 1st 2 classes. Top 5 class by all recruiting sites this year. LSU is on the rise.

He is either a phenomenal coach, engaging, persuasive, and trustworthy, OR, willing to do things that hadn't been done in the past. I am always somewhat skeptical when a school comes out of nowhere with a huge recruiting class.

I am willing to suspend my skepticism (cynicism) and hear that he is just a good man doing a good job and will look forward to a tough game with SMC.

I don't think we can jump on SMC for scheduling Cal, campuses can't be more than 20 miles apart, seems a natural local interest game, I am not going to criticize them scheduling Cal.

Why don't they schedule USC or UCLA while they're at it? What about the Oregon schools or UW?

MDABE80
04-14-2018, 05:01 PM

No worries Don. This is hardly a blood sport. It's the offseason. Until we see the whites of their eyes ( level of certainty), not much is to be taken seriously.

Nevada Don
04-14-2018, 06:43 PM
No worries Don. This is hardly a blood sport. It's the offseason. Until we see the whites of their eyes ( level of certainty), not much is to be taken seriously.

ND chillin' having just watched Jock's Portsmouth Invitational team win the Championship Game. That's right, the Gaels (Jock) are the Champions of the World. Jealous? I bet you are. Don't worry, we'll still talk with you guys. You'll win something too sometime !!
And now...back to those old hallucinatory drugs I took a few minutes ago. :jk: OF COURSE.
Have a good rest of the weekend GU Guys and Gals.

zagdontzig
04-16-2018, 06:44 AM

Just did a little Wikipedia browsing. Still not understanding the excitement over SMC scheduling this game. Except for the distance, second-round NIT teams are about par for their course.

Taking nothing away from the new coach though. Looks to be doing great things.

Ekrub
04-16-2018, 08:39 AM

Yup., and they generally count as a good win for us, not punished for the rare loss.

thebigsmoove
04-16-2018, 09:34 AM
Just did a little Wikipedia browsing. Still not understanding the excitement over SMC scheduling this game. Except for the distance, second-round NIT teams are about par for their course.

Taking nothing away from the new coach though. Looks to be doing great things.

LSU is a preseason top 25 school this coming year. Cal is not. I dont understand what there isnt to see? SMC scheduling LSU in Vegas is far and away better.

soccerdud
04-16-2018, 11:21 AM
LSU is a preseason top 25 school this coming year. Cal is not. I dont understand what there isnt to see? SMC scheduling LSU in Vegas is far and away better.

the term "digging in" mean anything to you? :p

zagdontzig
04-16-2018, 11:38 AM

Basketball logic says you're right and I'm crazy. But I've also seen "hot" coaches with talk-of-the-town recruiting classes come in and fall flat when the season tips off.

sittingon50
04-16-2018, 11:49 AM
Basketball logic says you're right and I'm crazy. But I've also seen "hot" coaches with talk-of-the-town recruiting classes come in and fall flat when the season tips off.

Very true dontzig. Anything can happen, that's why they play the games.

But I think you can make some educated guesses when comparing LSU TO Cal:

Per Kenpom, LSU WAS #66 with a new Coach & his 1st group of commits & now add a second strong group.

Cal was #244. Not sure that their recruiting class will be anywhere near as good, even with Brown.

Cal's Kenpom was dead last by a long ways to WSU's 186. And by comparison, it's 10 spots behind #234 LMU.

Cal is a long way off. LSU is not.

zagdontzig
04-16-2018, 12:20 PM
Very true dontzig. Anything can happen, that's why they play the games.

But I think you can make some educated guesses when comparing LSU TO Cal:

Per Kenpom, LSU WAS #66 with a new Coach & his 1st group of commits & now add a second strong group.

Cal was #244. Not sure that their recruiting class will be anywhere near as good, even with Brown.

Cal's Kenpom was dead last by a long ways to WSU's 186. And by comparison, it's 10 spots behind #234 LMU.

Cal is a long way off. LSU is not.

It's becoming more and more clear that I flat missed the evolution of a potential SEC powerhouse not Kentucky. I guess the casual fan owes him/herself some time to see what LSU is made of.

sittingon50
04-16-2018, 01:40 PM
I didn't really know much about LSU either, dontzig. But I did know Cal was in bad shape & just went from there.

I keep tabs of the WCC pretty closely, the Pac-12 a bit.

The rest = hit & miss.

zagzilla
04-17-2018, 04:39 PM
If GU had departed for WCC, we would have left about $7M in earned NCAA Tourney shares behind with the WCC. Presumably that $7M would have gone to the remaining WCC schools. I wonder if that might be part of the reason some were not happy we stayed.