PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who starts next season?

VinnyZag
04-11-2018, 07:02 PM
There has been a lot of discussion (argument) about who starts next year.

I'm assuming we can all agree that all three returning starters (Perkins, Norvell and Tillie) retain their spots. And I'd like to think that we can agree Hachimura will start, we just don't know at which forward spot.

So it's just a question of who claims the fifth position.

Other covers people who disagree on the other four spots or who think somebody not listed will seize the opportunity. Please explain if you pick other.

katman50
04-11-2018, 07:34 PM
Although I voted for Clarke, I think it's conceivable that Corey may be the 5th starter. Few wants to give Kispert the opportunity to come out of the gate and show all what Corey is capable of.

cggonzaga
04-11-2018, 08:06 PM
Williams if he comes otherwise Kispert/grad transfer. Starting Clarke, Rui and Tillie makes us less balanced imo.

MDABE80
04-11-2018, 08:13 PM
I doubt Tillie ( if he recovers) and Rui can hold down the boards. J3 leaving creates a big hole. Clarke will help that.
If other kids join us ( Williams and Cremo) things change somewhat. Unless that happens, I think Clarke adds a versatile scorer and rebounder.
Few shifts the lineup often though and that depends who we face.

3zagda
04-11-2018, 09:13 PM
I think the question posed in the poll depends mostly on Rui's position. Is he playing the 3 or 4 spot? To me Rui is a NBA 3. But I see few looks at Rui and sees a 4. and sees Brandon a 4 as well.
For this reason I think the other starter will be Corey.

Hoopaholic
04-11-2018, 09:19 PM
I think the question posed in the poll depends mostly on Rui's position. Is he playing the 3 or 4 spot? To me Rui is a NBA 3. But I see few looks at Rui and sees a 4. and sees Brandon a 4 as well.
For this reason I think the other starter will be Corey.

I disagree as it pertains to Few view of rui

Latter half of year rui saw substantial time in the three role

For me the amount of time at the 3 for rui will be dependent on development and abilities of Clark, Larsen and petrsev and how reliable they are in the 5 spots allowing tille to play stretch 4 and rui at the three

Alum08
04-11-2018, 09:23 PM
Unless Corey drastically improves his defense in the off-season, I have a hard time seeing him starting. And honestly I like his energy and slashing ability as a 6th man.

cggonzaga
04-11-2018, 09:42 PM
I disagree as it pertains to Few view of rui

Latter half of year rui saw substantial time in the three role

For me the amount of time at the 3 for rui will be dependent on development and abilities of Clark, Larsen and petrsev and how reliable they are in the 5 spots allowing tille to play stretch 4 and rui at the three

While I generally agree with you hoop, I don’t believe Rui played substantial minutes at the 3. Did he play some 3, yes. It seemed to me it was only when Norvell got in foul trouble. I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if Rui plays the 3 next year but he’s so good as a stretch 4 I can’t see that not being his primary position next year.

Alum08
04-11-2018, 09:55 PM
While I generally agree with you hoop, I donít believe Rui played substantial minutes at the 3. Did he play some 3, yes. It seemed to me it was only when Norvell got in foul trouble. I certainly wouldnít be surprised if Rui plays the 3 next year but heís so good as a stretch 4 I canít see that not being his primary position next year.A stretch 4 that doesn't shoot 3s? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your definition here.

cggonzaga
04-11-2018, 10:54 PM
A stretch 4 that doesn't shoot 3s? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your definition here.

I don’t believe the definition of a stretch 4 is just a big man that can make 3s. A stretch 4 can also create from the perimeter, knock down the mid range jumper, back a man down into the post. Imo the stretch 4 opens the floor up and makes his man guard him from everywhere on the floor. I’ll also suggest Rui shoots over 30% from 3 next year.

GoZags
04-12-2018, 03:43 AM
I'll wait to see the final '18/'19 roster before I vote.

The possibility of procuring an elite grad transfer or an elite recruit still exists.

jazzdelmar
04-12-2018, 04:03 AM
Unless Corey drastically improves his defense in the off-season, I have a hard time seeing him starting. And honestly I like his energy and slashing ability as a 6th man.

Agree 100%. CK could find himself odd man out if the number of players keep growing, Needs a major frosh-soph jump on defense, LD shooting, driving, etc. His best days are probably as a senior and maybe junior. Even a redshirt is possible if the roster fills out more.

jazzdelmar
04-12-2018, 04:04 AM
I'll wait to see the final '18/'19 roster before I vote.

The possibility of procuring an elite grad transfer or an elite recruit still exists.

You mean beyond B. Williams and Cremo?

OntZags
04-12-2018, 05:07 AM
If we land Williams or Cremo, I suspect they'll start at the 1/2 alongside Perkins. (JP the 1 with Cremo or BW the 1 with JP)

Which would leave either Tillie/Clarke/Rui as the 5/4/3 starters and Norvell as the 6th man or Tillie/Clarke or Rui/Norvell as the 5/4/3 starters.

Honestly don't think it matters much as all 6 guys will see comparable playing time.

Then I would suspect a drop off in pt with Kispert leading the next group including Ayayi, Larsen & Petrusev.

We look spoiled with our depth going into next season lol. Super well rounded at all positions and tons of experience. Minutes will be a bit tight but we've got such a great group of character guys that I don't see any issues arising. Winning gets you the most exposure and this team is capable of taking it all.

Can we fast forward to November already?

jazzdelmar
04-12-2018, 05:30 AM
Few's beloved tight 7-8 man rotation will be challenged.

ZagsObserver
04-12-2018, 05:34 AM
How can you have a player on your list who is not a current gu player?

VinnyZag
04-12-2018, 05:54 AM
How can you have a player on your list who is not a current gu player?

He was mentioned in another thread as a guy who would definitely start if he comes here. It's also partly to judge optimism about getting him.

rennis
04-12-2018, 05:56 AM
Anyone who thinks Clarke isn't rotating right into JWIII's shoes in the starting lineup is cray-cray

Coach Crazy
04-12-2018, 05:59 AM
If we land Williams or Cremo, I suspect they'll start at the 1/2 alongside Perkins. (JP the 1 with Cremo or BW the 1 with JP)

Which would leave either Tillie/Clarke/Rui as the 5/4/3 starters and Norvell as the 6th man or Tillie/Clarke or Rui/Norvell as the 5/4/3 starters.

Honestly don't think it matters much as all 6 guys will see comparable playing time.

Then I would suspect a drop off in pt with Kispert leading the next group including Ayayi, Larsen & Petrusev.

We look spoiled with our depth going into next season lol. Super well rounded at all positions and tons of experience. Minutes will be a bit tight but we've got such a great group of character guys that I don't see any issues arising. Winning gets you the most exposure and this team is capable of taking it all.

Can we fast forward to November already?

You know someone with a DeLorian that doesn't have Smack in it? I think Christopher Lloyd is still alive.

bartruff1
04-12-2018, 06:04 AM
I don't know or care who starts.... but I hope the team plays good to great defense...... and has balanced scoring...... involving 6 players averaging in double figures similar to last year...it would be bonus if they could inbound the ball without all the drama....

jazzdelmar
04-12-2018, 06:06 AM
I don't know or care who starts.... but I hope the team plays good to great defense...... and has balanced scoring...... involving 6 players averaging in double figures similar to last year...it would be bonus if they could inbound the ball without all the drama....

.....and have an end of half play that works at least 25% of the time....that'd be a major breakthrough....ok, 20% of the time.

thespywhozaggedme
04-12-2018, 06:08 AM
Few's beloved tight 7-8 man rotation will be challenged.

It was interesting because I heard him in an interview talk about how Leonard Hamilton goes 10 or 11 deep and Few is envious of that. But I think we went nine or 10 deep in our national championship game run.

DixieZag
04-12-2018, 06:29 AM
This has to be the first time I've seen this board have a "Who starts?" thread when none of us know who will be on the team. I do understand the excitement, though.

bdmiller7
04-12-2018, 07:33 AM
While I generally agree with you hoop, I don’t believe Rui played substantial minutes at the 3. Did he play some 3, yes. It seemed to me it was only when Norvell got in foul trouble. I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if Rui plays the 3 next year but he’s so good as a stretch 4 I can’t see that not being his primary position next year.

I also thought as the season went on that Rui's time at the 3 increased. I think next year he'll play more at the 3 than the 4. I think we have more depth at the 4 and 5 now than on the perimeter. If Williams comes he will be able to fill in for Perkins or Norvell moving Perkins to the 2. He could get 25 minutes off the bench.

tinfoilzag
04-12-2018, 07:40 AM
This has to be the first time I've seen this board have a "Who starts?" thread when none of us know who will be on the team. I do understand the excitement, though.

In the off-season, the board will plumb the depths of every asinine argument. It's tradition.

EEzag
04-12-2018, 08:37 AM
In the off-season, the board will plumb the depths of every asinine argument. It's tradition.

Has it been discussed that minutes could depend on players Defensive capabilities? If GU is still depending on playing analytics-based basketball, Kispert will be down the line a bunch.........

For the sake of discussion -----> what if Norvell becomes the 6th man? His D was pretty lack-luster. What if, if we landed Williams, Few sends a message to last years wings that they have to up their defensive game and will show it with minutes. (Of course that means Williams would have to outplay Norvell analytically which isn't likely)

In all seriousness, we all know starting isn't the metric that matters on this team. Few rewards players with starting (or has in the past) and then we don't see them the rest of the game. MPG is the stat that matters.. Well, that and who starts the second half is usually a telling stat as well.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-12-2018, 09:08 AM
Anyone who thinks Clarke isn't rotating right into JWIII's shoes in the starting lineup is cray-cray

Agreed. Zags need interior toughness. I hope to see a frontcourt of Rui (3), Tillie (4), Clarke (5) allowing Rui to post up his likely smaller, weaker defender...Tillie to pull his defender out to the 3 line and Clarke operate in the midpost. This scenario plays to their offensive strengths.

OTOH, if Brandon Williams signs the thought of a dynamic PG who can penetrate and score surrounded by two wings (Perkins, Norvell) and a power forward (Tillie) who can all knock down 3ís is pretty exciting too!

Bogozags
04-12-2018, 09:28 AM
Agreed. Zags need interior toughness. I hope to see a frontcourt of Rui (3), Tillie (4), Clarke (5) allowing Rui to post up his likely smaller, weaker defender...Tillie to pull his defender out to the 3 line and Clarke operate in the midpost. This scenario plays to their offensive strengths.

OTOH, if Brandon Williams signs the thought of a dynamic PG who can penetrate and score surrounded by two wings (Perkins, Norvell) and a power forward (Tillie) who can all knock down 3’s is pretty exciting too!

"What if..." conversations can be pretty interesting...like SIFY stuff...I think with Josh, Snacks, Rui, Tillie and Clarke starting we will have one heck of a line-up to challenge anyone anywhere...with CK, Larsen, Wade, Jones and Pet coming off the bench we should be pretty darn strong...Now "IF" BW chooses GU (IMO he isn't coming but) then we will be as solid as any team GU has ever had...JMHO

former1dog
04-12-2018, 09:38 AM
With Williams or Cremo:

Perkins - Ayayi
Williams/Cremo - Ayayi
Norvell - Kispert
Rui - Clarke
Tillie - Larsen

With out:

Perkin - Ayayi
Norvell - Ayayi
Rui - Kispert
Tillie - Petrusev
Clarke - Larsen

As I'm typing this, the with out starting line up looks better to me because it is big and I like Rui at the three and I like Tillie/Petrusev playing that stretch 4. BUT, it does present a problem in that we are thin in ball handling guard depth if we don't add someone like Williams or Cremo and that means maybe more minutes for Perkins than is ideal to maximize his energy in the long run.

cggonzaga
04-12-2018, 11:54 AM
With Williams or Cremo:

Perkins - Ayayi
Williams/Cremo - Ayayi
Norvell - Kispert
Rui - Clarke
Tillie - Larsen

With out:

Perkin - Ayayi
Norvell - Ayayi
Rui - Kispert
Tillie - Petrusev
Clarke - Larsen

As I'm typing this, the with out starting line up looks better to me because it is big and I like Rui at the three and I like Tillie/Petrusev playing that stretch 4. BUT, it does present a problem in that we are thin in ball handling guard depth if we don't add someone like Williams or Cremo and that means maybe more minutes for Perkins than is ideal to maximize his energy in the long run.

Totally agree with first lineup and mostly agree with second. I like Kispert starting in second lineup as it provides better balance and deepens our bench but could definitely see your lineup as well. As we’ve seen in the tournament however you win with great guard play. I believe if we don’t add anybody else we’ll need Kispert/Wade/Ayayi to step up big time

GoZags
04-12-2018, 12:16 PM
You mean beyond B. Williams and Cremo?

I'll defer to Tommy ... who in the past has proclaimed that the general public and internet sites (including this board) know about 5 percent of what's really going on. Byron Wesley was an unknown until mid-late May. Jordan Mathews was an unknown until mid-late June. Others (including Ronny Turiaf) were unknown until August.

I'll stick with what I said ... "The possibility of procuring an elite grad transfer or an elite recruit still exists."